PDA

View Full Version : Woody's Mailbag

TXBRONC
01-13-2011, 11:08 AM
This coaching search is beginning to take on a rudderless ship feeling. I do hope the new Broncos regime gets a grip on things quickly. The topic du jour for this coach-hiring season seems to be second chances — Mularkey, Capers, etc. with hopes of landing the next Belichick. That said, why has Mike Nolan's name not come up as a Broncos candidate? At the very least, his perspective of the first half of the '09-'10 car crash could be enlightening.
---Sean, Phoenix

Sean: I've already addressed all of these names. You failed to mention some great names none of us have thought of. I keep hearing about Brian Billick, and I mentioned him in both columns I've written on the subject. He won a Super Bowl and had some excellent years in Baltimore, but it ended poorly; his offenses were not good (even though he had been the Vikings' offensive coordinator before being named in Baltimore), and he has an abrasive style that turns off the public and the press. He really hasn't improved that image as a commentator on TV. He has been away now for a while, and he's somewhat been forgotten as a head coach candidate. But the Broncos should interview him and take a look.

Marty Schottenheimer. Even though I'm old, he's a lot older. I just honestly don't know any more. Why not bring him in for a talk? Who else gets your attention? Bill Parcells. Ain't happening here or anywhere else? Bill Cowher. Jon Gruden. Nobody's jumping on either because they're content where they are, and you'd had to give them total control and a ton of money. (By the way, it's my understanding that the Broncos didn't pay Josh McDaniels nearly what he was owed on the two remaining years. I hear it was a very comfortable settlement for the Broncos).

I've examined every possible candidate — and, to repeat, very few will have to hit the ceiling. It's not like when Mike Shanahan was hired. Who does get your attention from the playoff teams? Dom Capers. He's been in charger of two expansion teams and did a nice job, and probably deserves another chance. Do you go "wow"? Maybe. How about Rob Ryan, the other Ryan's twin brother. He did a nice job in Oakland, and Rex has been a wow head coach, but his stock fell with Cleveland this year, and you don't see the Browns screaming to promote him.

Who? Who? Forget college coaches. I liked Jim Harbaugh because he had an NFL background, but so few make the transition. Urban Meyer's not returning any time soon. Look what Nick Saban did when he took over the Dolphins. On and on. Bill Walsh turned out to be a great pro coach, but I can name 10 who failed for every one who made it.

I liked Ron Rivera; I kinda liked Gregg Williams, although he's a bit odd and didn't turn around Buffalo. John Fox might get your attention except the Panthers were so bad lately. Gary Kubiak might have gotten a lot of people excited, but he was kept in Houston. Eric Mangini? No way. Charlie Weiss? Romeo Crennel? Nobody with a Patriots background, fairly or unfairly. Kyle Shanahan? Interesting. Too young, though, and the association could be good or bad, although he will be a great head coach someday.

Mike "Don't call me Mark" Mularkey. He did coach the Bills to their last winning record and has coached Kordell Stewart and Matt Ryan, but he's been knocked around and knocked a lot. Tony Dungy would cause you to jump up and down, except he doesn't want to coach again, and even if he were talked into it, here's a truth, some of his recent anti-gay stances have caused him a problem. Would that be a problem in coaching again? I don't know.

Mike Nolan failed in San Francisco. Jim Mora Jr. Failed a couple of times. Russ Grimm? He was so close to being the Steelers' coach, and there are still questions about if he really got the job before the offer was rescinded, but the Cardinals were worse running the ball and stopping the run than the Broncos the past year. How do you sell him?

Mark Schlereth? He knows football and chili, but hasn't coached. What young head coach is out there? Would the Broncos even consider a young head coach again? I don't think so. You tell me, Sean. Where's the name that spikes your football?

http://www.denverpost.com/woodysmailbag/ci_17078384

I know settlement generally means that you're not going get very thing owed to you but I think it begs the question "Why were the Broncos able to get such a settlement that was so favorable to them?" :ponder:

Traveler
01-13-2011, 11:15 AM
I know settlement generally means that you're not going get very thing owed to you but I think it begs the question "Why were the Broncos able to get such a settlement that was so favorable to them?" :ponder:

Very good question. Guessing there is much more stuff that happened that we don't know about and that was used as leverage.

TXBRONC
01-13-2011, 11:23 AM
Very good question. Guessing there is much more stuff that happened that we don't know about and that was used as leverage.

Oh yeah. Ellis said McDaniels couldn't be fired for cause, yet the Broncos were able to swing a settlement that was very favorable to the organization. If that's truly the case they had to have had some serious leverage.

topscribe
01-13-2011, 11:32 AM
Hmmm . . . could lead one to suspicion. Getting fired "for cause" could be
quite damaging to a young coach's career, so maybe some kind of agreement
there . . .?

-----

TXBRONC
01-13-2011, 11:36 AM
They couldn't have used "fired for cause" as leverage after Ellis said publicly that McDaniels couldn't be fired for cause as far Spygate II is concerned.

Krugan
01-13-2011, 11:47 AM
Maybe tht was part of the agreement.

Dont stain the name anymore than he did himself in order to get a better settlement in the end game.

PAINTERDAVE
01-13-2011, 11:52 AM
Or... there was something else that we dont know about...that happened behind the scenes.. that McD just plain does not want released.

TXBRONC
01-13-2011, 11:54 AM
Maybe that was part of the agreement.

Don't stain the name anymore than he did himself in order to get a better settlement in the end game.

There are many possibilities although but you still have to careful what you say publicly.

They couldn't for Spygate II because of Ellis' statement which happened before they actually fired him IIRC. But I suppose they might have been able to fire him for cause for some other reason than Spygate II.

BroncoJoe
01-13-2011, 11:58 AM
Everyone knows he trashed this franchise. I'm sure the spygate thing played a part, but McDaniels is probably smart not to try and bash the Broncos organization if we pulled an Al Davis on him. No one in their right mind would fault the Broncos for telling him to F-off in regard to his contract. IMO, that's why he probably settled.

turftoad
01-13-2011, 12:02 PM
I'm just glad he's gone before he did any more damage.

TXBRONC
01-13-2011, 12:02 PM
Everyone knows he trashed this franchise. I'm sure the spygate thing played a part, but McDaniels is probably smart not to try and bash the Broncos organization if we pulled an Al Davis on him. No one in their right mind would fault the Broncos for telling him to F-off in regard to his contract. IMO, that's why he probably settled.

I would think you would still have to have some kind of "ace in the hole."

chazoe60
01-13-2011, 12:03 PM
McD was paid the going rate for dismantling a once proud franchise. Don't worry about him though, he was handsomely rewarded by his other employer for a job well done.

topscribe
01-13-2011, 12:52 PM
Or... there was something else that we dont know about...that happened behind the scenes.. that McD just plain does not want released.

Just along the lines of what I was talking about.

-----

TXBRONC
01-13-2011, 02:02 PM
I'm just glad he's gone before he did any more damage.

You got that right.