PDA

View Full Version : Broncos remaining opponents.

jrelway
09-15-2008, 01:57 PM
Many thought that the broncos would be 0-2 at this point. We're 2-0, and playing New Orleans at home this week. IMO, 3-0 at the end of this week.

week 4 @ KC = yes, it is hard to win in arrowhead, but we did it last year, and the chiefs suck once again. WIN

week 5 Tampa By = games in denver, so no need to worry about the heat and humidity. Bad offensive team so i believe its another WIN for us.

week 6 Jax = another florida team that visits us. Jax O line is banged up and IMO cant keep up with our scoring. Another WIN.

week 7 @ NE = without Tom Brady, the pats are a totally different team. I think if we stack the box against their RB's,, we have a good chance. WIN

week 8 BYE = good rest for our overly used WR's and cutlers shoulder.WIN

week 9 Miami = no explanations needed.. WIN

week 10 @ cleveland = high powered offensive team that struggling so far. i believe they get it back together and hand us our first loss in a close one. LOSS.

week 11 @ ATL = michael turner has a nice game against us but the broncos outscore the falcons in a blowout. WIN

week 12 Oakland = we take it to the fade again in another rout. WIN

week 13 @NY Jets = Jets cannot keep up with our scoring, and we pay back Favre for that overtime loss last year. WIN

week 14 KC = another ass whooping and more whining and crying from LJ. WIN

week 15 @ carolina = i'll say our offense sputters and we lose a close one. our run D gets gashed by deangelo williams and jonathan stewart. LOSS

week 16 Buffalo = another team that wont be able to keep up with our scoring. Especially in Denver. WIN

week 17 @ SD..big shootout once again, but we fall short this time, splitting 1-1 for the year against the chargers. LOSS

I dont think a 13-3 season is out of reach, and i think once we get into the playoffs, we can do some serious damage so long as everyone is pretty healthy. :salute:

JONtheBRONCO
09-15-2008, 02:00 PM
Na, I say we go unbeaten.

silkamilkamonico
09-15-2008, 02:07 PM
0-2?

I don't think many people thought we'd lose to the Raiders.

Tampa Bay will be tough. They aren't bad on offense, they just aren't explosive. Considering we have a hard time getting off the field on defense, I can see them sustaining long and efficient drives against us. We'll need to score TD's to win that game.

The teams we need to be careful about are the ones that can move the ball on offense.

Northman
09-15-2008, 02:09 PM
0-2?

Tampa Bay will be tough. They aren't bad on offense, they just aren't explosive. Considering we have a hard time getting off the field on defense, I can see them sustaining long and efficient drives against us. We'll need to score TD's to win that game.

The teams we need to be careful about are the ones that can move the ball on offense.

Actually, a lot of people and media thought we would. Considering how bad they smacked us around last year down there. I knew we would at least come out of the first two weeks 1-1. The fact we got the win yesterday is just a bonus. It could be a up and down year though with our defense. Hopefully they can find a way to do somewhat better.

UnderArmour
09-15-2008, 02:15 PM
We can beat all of the teams left on our schedule. Our defense just needs to step it up. Carolina, Buffalo, and San Diego are the best 3 teams left on our schedule and they are all in a row.

underrated29
09-15-2008, 02:27 PM
Jr thought we would lose to the faid.

I fear the buffalo game. They have a really really good defense. And their offense isnt to shabby either. I could see us beating Cleve, and losing to the bills as a more likely scenario.

I am worried about NO though, we suck against good passin teams. And brees is good at taking what the defense gives him and slowly picking them apart. If we can make it out of week 3 with a 3-0 record then i will have HIGH hopes.

VERY FREAKING HIGH HOPES!

jrelway
09-15-2008, 02:35 PM
one good thing about the N.O. matchup is that they have an awful defense..even the skins torched them for alot of points..i think its gonna be an all you can eat buffet day for cutler and marshall.

BroncoJoe
09-15-2008, 02:41 PM
19-0

REB
09-15-2008, 02:54 PM
This is what I had said on another site in early August...

The homer in me always says 16-0. Why not? But in reality, IF our team has improved on the D-line and has improved it's redzone offense I feel comfortable predicting 13-3 (I'm always optimistic about our Broncos ) . If not then who knows. Maybe 9-7, 10-6 which could garner a WC spot depending.

hamrob
09-15-2008, 03:11 PM
0-2?

The teams we need to be careful about are the ones that can move the ball on offense.Seems strange...but many on this board thought that we'd be 0-2. If you go back and look through the threads...there were plenty who claimed we'd be lucky to repeat last years performance and even some that were forecasting 4 wins. For the record, I was not one of them!

BMF Bronco
09-15-2008, 03:30 PM
So finally after this many years, Griese may have the opportunity to come back and play in Denver, that's if he's still starting at that point.

jrelway
09-15-2008, 03:35 PM
tampas hurtin for some Wr's, but they have a decent run game. stack the box and make griese try to outscore us. no way jose.

Denver27og
09-15-2008, 03:42 PM
Many thought that the broncos would be 0-2 at this point. We're 2-0, and playing New Orleans at home this week. IMO, 3-0 at the end of this week.

week 4 @ KC = yes, it is hard to win in arrowhead, but we did it last year, and the chiefs suck once again. WIN

week 5 Tampa By = games in denver, so no need to worry about the heat and humidity. Bad offensive team so i believe its another WIN for us.

week 6 Jax = another florida team that visits us. Jax O line is banged up and IMO cant keep up with our scoring. Another WIN.

week 7 @ NE = without Tom Brady, the pats are a totally different team. I think if we stack the box against their RB's,, we have a good chance. WIN

week 10 @ cleveland = high powered offensive team that struggling so far. i believe they get it back together and hand us our first loss in a close one. LOSS.

week 11 @ ATL = michael turner has a nice game against us but the broncos outscore the falcons in a blowout. WIN

week 13 @NY Jets = Jets cannot keep up with our scoring, and we pay back Favre for that overtime loss last year. WIN

week 15 @ carolina = i'll say our offense sputters and we lose a close one. our run D gets gashed by deangelo williams and jonathan stewart. LOSS

week 16 Buffalo = another team that wont be able to keep up with our scoring. Especially in Denver. WIN

week 17 @ SD..big shootout once again, but we fall short this time, splitting 1-1 for the year against the chargers. LOSS

I dont think a 13-3 season is out of reach, and i think once we get into the playoffs, we can do some serious damage so long as everyone is pretty healthy. :salute:

spoken like a true football expert... i say we shut down steve smith and we can beat carolina

underrated29
09-15-2008, 03:51 PM
There are two things that will haunt our team. Well now that i think about it 4.

earnest graham- he is a beast and a load to bring down. Much tougher than anyone we have faces so far. (no we did not face LT)

jonathan stewart- read the sig- but he is trouble...I still wish we got him, but I suppose clady was the unquestionable right pick.

Jamal lewis- great oline, still big, fat, and fast. Yes he is strong too-

Lt- healthy toe, chargers playing to try and keep Playoff hopes alive. (they probably would already have clinched, but i can dream.) Us not playing starters full game- preparing for playoffs.

The big strong runners really hurt us, although i guess the fast little guys do too, but i for now will call those plays flukes.

SmilinAssasSin27
09-15-2008, 04:31 PM
A lil early for a 13-3 prediction. We should be 1-1 and the D looked pretty bad yesterday. That said, playoffs are obtainable and that is a great start.

BMF Bronco
09-15-2008, 05:02 PM
A lil early for a 13-3 prediction. We should be 1-1 and the D looked pretty bad yesterday. That said, playoffs are obtainable and that is a great start.

Why is that? We should be 1-1, maybe, but we got a break. It is these "breaks" among other things that has been keeping us out of the playoffs the last two years. With that being said, the Broncos, complete with sketchy defensive plays and outscored arguably one of the most potent offenses in the NFL yesterday. I had been apprehensive to give us any credit, but after scoring 80 points in two games, I am convinced our offense will put up as many points as needed at any given moment to win the games. And until proven otherwise, I will continue this line of thinking and see the possibility of that 14-2, 13-3, ro 11-4 season.

Tned
09-15-2008, 05:11 PM
I'll stick with what I posted at the start of training camp (7-23-08):

The NFL changes so much year to year. I think the Broncos will be much improved, especially on defense, and what Clady can do at LT could have a domino effect on the rest of the line. Is Robertson (sp??) and the young guys ready to produce (marcus thomas, moss) on the line. So, lots of questions.

On the flip side, what type of team will Oak be? Still horrible, or have they turned a corner? How will KC play with nearly 2/3 of their roster new players.

What about ATL and TB. Will TB have Favre at QB?

So, looking at the schedule based on how teams played last year, and considering the improvements I 'expect' to see with the Broncos in '08, I would say:

Worst case is 10-6 (losses to NE, SD, SD, Jax, and two of TB/NO/Car/Buf)

Best case is 13-3 (losses to NE, SD and Jax/TB/NO/Car/Buf)

I think the Broncos will land somewhere in between my best and worse case and I think they will have 11 or 12 wins, based on what appears to be an improved team (I expect the run defense to be much improved, them to give up FAR less than 26.5 points a game, and Cutler to play better than last year) and a fairly easy schedule.

hamrob
09-15-2008, 05:13 PM
There are two things that will haunt our team. Well now that i think about it 4.

earnest graham- he is a beast and a load to bring down. Much tougher than anyone we have faces so far. (no we did not face LT)

jonathan stewart- read the sig- but he is trouble...I still wish we got him, but I suppose clady was the unquestionable right pick.

Jamal lewis- great oline, still big, fat, and fast. Yes he is strong too-

Lt- healthy toe, chargers playing to try and keep Playoff hopes alive. (they probably would already have clinched, but i can dream.) Us not playing starters full game- preparing for playoffs.

The big strong runners really hurt us, although i guess the fast little guys do too, but i for now will call those plays flukes.You know...I'm not as worried about the run this year. I mean...I haven't lost my senses...yes we need to contain it...but it doesn't worry me...like say a very qb does. I think we beat the running teams handedly. Why...because they can't keep up with our offense. If we put up a couple TD's early on teams...it changes the whole complexion of the game. They have to try and pass to catch up...and we stick a fork in them. Yes, if they can keep us off the field...they have a shot...but can they stop our Offense? I don't think so.

broncophan
09-15-2008, 05:18 PM
I'll stick with what I posted at the start of training camp (7-23-08):

Me too.......I think I said 9-7??:confused:

hamrob
09-15-2008, 05:21 PM
A lil early for a 13-3 prediction. We should be 1-1 and the D looked pretty bad yesterday. That said, playoffs are obtainable and that is a great start.Agreed. It's probably premature to say we definitely will be 13-3 or 12-4, but I think folks now can see how we might end up there. This offseason...I don't think there were very many of us that thought that.

I'm also worried about the Saints. They are a very good team. If we can play them well and get a victory...I think we're off to the races. We would then go to K.C. and then be home again agaist the Bucs. I think we win those two games...then we get Jax again at home and then travel to NE. I think we at least get one of those games. Then we get our Bye...and the following 6 games are all very winable...before we hit crunch time...our last three games. Unless we really take a nose dive...like losing to the Saints at home...I could see us being as good as 12-1 or 11-2 headed into our final three games this year.

But, who really knows...it's nice though to have such a promising young team to speculate over!

Tned
09-15-2008, 05:24 PM
Also, after the draft, I made a 12-4 prediction, and was criticized for it. Here is some of the exchange and my rationale at that time for the prediction (vs. the 7-9, 8-8 that so many were predicting, and might still be for all I know).

I thought than, and still do, that we were a better team than 7-9, but our coaching killed us. With the additions (FA and Draft), and more important the subtractions (Bates and Heimerdinger), along with Shanahan getting back into creating creative game plans that change every week, we would be a playoff team.

==============================

Week 1 — At Oak. Loss
Week 2 — San Diego. Win
Week 3 — New Orleans Win
Week 4 — at KC Win
Week 5 — Tampa Bay Win
Week 6 — Jacksonville Win
Week 7 — at New England Loss
Oct. 26 — Bye.
Week 9 — Miami Win
Week 10 — at Cleveland Win
Week 11 — at Atlanta Win
Week 12 — Oakland Loss
Week 13 — at N.Y. Jets Win
Week 14 — Kansas City Win
Week 15 — at Carolina Win
Week 16 — Buffalo Bills win
Week 17 — at San Diego Loss

and here was some responses to my prediction, and my explanation. Clearly, at the draft, I didn't have the benefit of knowing how quickly Royal and Clady would develop:

===============================

Anyone who says 10-6 could be called crazy. Anyone going for something over 10-6 is utterly insane.

I'm going 9-7 at the moment, although that could change depending on how things develop. I'm truly thinking 8-8 because I reckon we will lose a shocker, but 9-7 if I'm being positive.

8-8. I think some of you are getting your hopes up a little too high. We're not a playoff team yet IMO.

You guys could be right, we might be bad. However, I think we played much worse last year than the talent on the team. I think it was a poorly coached team that looked totally lost out there. This is the reason that I expect a bounceback year in terms of record. It doesn't mean they will win the Super Bowl, but I do expect a much better record.

There are some questions. The biggest being:

Is Marshall going to be healthy
How quickly does LT/RT solidify
How quickly does the defense adapt to a third scheme in three years

The center of the line should be solid with Hamilton, Nalen and Holland/Kuper. Assuming Clady wins the LT job, then Kuper/Harris/Pears will fight for RT (the LT and RT fight could be swapped).

Scheffler has another year under his belt and should be entering camp healthy, Henry and young have proven to be a solid tandem when healthy, Cutler while still making mistakes is getting better with each game and is now in his third year.

So, assuming we can get a couple healthy/serviciable receivers across from Stokely, then the offense should be fine. If Marshall enters training camp fully healed with no after effects, than the Broncos should be in great shape on offense.

On defense, the Broncos have to show they can stop the run, but the Broncos went from 12th best at stopping the run in 2006 to 30th in 2007. Was that the loss of Warren and Wilson or the influence of Jim Bates? That is the question that needs to be answered. If with the addition of Robertson, along with Thomas being in his second year, and another year of experience for our young ends, and a healthy Ekuban playing end or tackle, I expect the run D to be much closer to '06 than '07.

I may just be one of the koolaide drinkers, but I think Shanahan made clear in his end of season news conferences that he had blown it at the coaching level. Attempting to implement schemes that didn't fit the personel. He said it 'carefully' to not through anyone completely under the bus, but he said it.

He stated they were going to get back to basics this year, running the kind of defense that had them consistantly in the top 10; solid against the run.

So, I look at a team that is 'on paper' better than the last two, possibly three years and think that the young players in their second and third years (Cutler, Scheffler, Dumervil, Crowder, Moss, Thomas, Kuper) will start to provide a return on investment. If we get any help from the rookies (Clady, Royal, etc.) than that will just be a bonus, but even without counting on the rookies, I anticipate a pretty substantial turnaround this year.

I've seen bad Broncos teams over the years, and talent wise, this isn't a bad Broncos team.

Tned
09-15-2008, 05:28 PM
Agreed. It's probably premature to say we definitely will be 13-3 or 12-4, but I think folks now can see how we might end up there. This offseason...I don't think there were very many of us that thought that.

Not trying to toot my own horn (well, yes, I guess I am :)), and this could blow up in my face, but I did see the possibility of 12-4 or 13-3, and was lambasted a bit as a blind homer for suggesting it.

As I said over the offseason, I have watched every Broncos game for 20+ years. I have seen bad Broncos teams, and this isn't a bad Broncos team. Last year, the team's record was far worse than the talent (although injuries played a role). Our number one problem last year was coaching. We became MUCH better with addition via subtraction (Bates and Heimerdinger).

So, we could go 5-9 from here on out, but as I didn't think so in April, and I didn't think so in July, I don't think so now.

underrated29
09-15-2008, 05:31 PM
Hey im right there with ya tned. I dont know where i posted them but 10-6 was the rock bottom i ever thought. Maybe i will try to find them. Nah, i am to lazy, but for those doubters ask JR, he and i went back and forth a lot of the time with his 6-10 and my 11-5.

Although i do have to highly criticise you for predicting we would get swept by the raiders.

That was crazy! You have too much love for dmac. Yes he will be pimp, but as you ca see- not near good enough to bring us down.

honz
09-15-2008, 05:32 PM
Can I call you Nostradamus, Tned?:cool:

You were spot on in a lot of your predictions.

SmilinAssasSin27
09-15-2008, 05:35 PM
I'm not trying to be a pessimist, but defense does win championships. Our lack of pass rush and the lack of playmakers at MLB and Safety are gonna hurt us. WRs were running free vs Oakland and SD finally made us pay. I know most teams don't have the weapons that SD has and we will face some more plodding teams, but I will remain CAUTIOUSLY optimistic.

That being said, I don't think it's a homer statement to say that the O may already be Super Bowl ready.

Tned
Hey im right there with ya tned. I dont know where i posted them but 10-6 was the rock bottom i ever thought. Maybe i will try to find them. Nah, i am to lazy, but for those doubters ask JR, he and i went back and forth a lot of the time with his 6-10 and my 11-5.

Although i do have to highly criticise you for predicting we would get swept by the raiders.

That was crazy! You have too much love for dmac. Yes he will be pimp, but as you ca see- not near good enough to bring us down.

Well, it was two fold. We have had our lumps on MNF. I figured the team (rookie LT) and other changes, might not get on track right away. I figured the Raiders (and still do) will be a much better team this year. And....

I have a man crush on D-mac. I think he will finish this season or next and be considered one of the top three RB's in this league.

I expect him to put up a 200+ yard game this season. I love the fact the Raiders' coaches are stupid enough that they only ran him 9 times against us, so he didn't put up the 160+ on us, like he did KC.

So, in April, I did predict two Oak losses, but in July I revised my prediction and didn't predict a loss to Oakland in my best case or worst case scenarios.

BroncoBJ
I agree. For some reason I don't see us being beat :lol:
I really think we can outscore anyone.

Though what scares me is When/If we make the playoffs. We will have to play teams like the Steelers or Colts. Teams we havn't played this year.
Though I would love to have home field advantage and have the AFC Championship game in our backyard. :salute:

But being 2-0 feels nice right now.

SmilinAssasSin27
09-15-2008, 05:42 PM
All I want is the playoffs. If we make it 9-7 or 10-6, GREAT. Then we have a chance to make a run. We still need at least 2 more playmakers on defense to be legit contenders for the title. I have faith Shanny will do what he needs to to acquire them in 09. I don't wanna be the Bengals.

Cugel
09-15-2008, 06:11 PM
This team has the potential to win 11 games and the division. Now that the Chargers are not exactly charging out of the gate at 0-2, the Broncos have some breathing room, which they usually don't this early in the season. Normally they'd have to win the first 6 or 7 games just to keep pace with the Boltz. Not now.

Unless you think that the Chargers are going to win 12 of their last 14 games (possible, but they have some tough games too), then 11 games will be the best record in the division.

As for 12-4, 13-3, not a chance in hell unless this defense starts limiting some teams to less than 30 points a game! (And NO the Raiders don't count).

We'll know a lot more about whether they can step up after next week.

Right now, the offense better not slow down or else the Broncos will not only lose but get blown out!

Can you imagine what the score would have been if the Broncos came out flat in the Chargers game? A 41-24 loss or something like that.

No pass rush at all. The few times they tried to blitz the Chargers picked it up easily. I thought the D-line would be improved this year, but so far no sign of it.

Safeties are not too good in pass-coverage. Same problem in the Raiders game where an inexperienced JaMarcus Russell missed some wide open receivers. Phillip Rivers missed two WR who were open for TDs and is now kicking himself in the S.D. papers.

Take a look at the defense and special teams box score:

Chargers: 456 total net yards rushing & receiving!

Rivers: 21/33 for 377 yards, almost 18 yards per completion and a QB rating of over 125.

Darren Sproles: 125 yards rushing & receiving, and 1 TD, 192 return yards, and 1 TD

Sproles Total: 317 yards, 2 TDs!

STs coverage give up 227 yards.

Top tackler is a CB, Champ Bailey with 6.

Chargers fell behind early so they had to go away from the run, but they still managed to add 80 yards to the 377 yards passing.

Total yards Chargers receiving/rushing/returns: 684 yards!

Now a win is a win, but there are not many games that you can overcome giving up 684 total yards!

They're going to have to do a hell of a lot better than that or the pressure on the offense will be extreme.

I'm not saying they can't do it. I'm hoping they will. It's early season yet. But so far the signs are not at all encouraging.

Hawgdriver
09-15-2008, 06:39 PM
I don't know where this optimism comes from. Earlier I looked down the schedule and cringed. I think these will all be very difficult games. Cutler gives us a shot. Still, I think these games are going to be tough and I'd be happy to scrape by with a W no matter how we get it:

New Orleans
Tampa Bay
Jax
NE
Cleveland
NY Jets
Carolina
Buffalo
SD

It's not hard to imagine losing any of those games, they are all potent teams on a good Sunday. Even the ones I left out can put the hurt on you if they get juiced. It's going to be a long, hard road. One week at a time...

So far we know we'll finish better than 1-15, and the rest of history needs to be written on the field.

Tned
09-15-2008, 06:43 PM
Chargers fell behind early so they had to go away from the run, but they still managed to add 80 yards to the 377 yards passing.

Total yards Chargers receiving/rushing/returns: 684 yards!

Now a win is a win, but there are not many games that you can overcome giving up 684 total yards!

They're going to have to do a hell of a lot better than that or the pressure on the offense will be extreme.

I'm not saying they can't do it. I'm hoping they will. It's early season yet. But so far the signs are not at all encouraging.

People keep talking about Chargers falling behind and going away from the run, but they only rushed for 10 yards in the first half, the 70 came in the second half.

Regardless, a couple things to think about.

The Chargers were fifth in the NFL in scoring last year. They have many weapons on offense.

Of that 684 yards, nearly half of it came on five, yes five, big plays.

Time will tell if this is a defense that routinely gives up big plays, or if it was the case of a few player out of position or blown assignments that will be addressed.

We have had a lot of changes in the defensive personell (either completely new, or new positions) and it is to be expected that mistakes will be made.

Something to keep in mind, over one third, yes one third (I can do the color thing, too :D), of Rivers' yards came on two little dump offs to running backs, that were broken for 60+ yard runs on blown assignments/coverage by the defense.

Like I said, five big plays accounted for nearly half of the Chargers total yards, and three of them accounted for nearly half of Rivers' passing yards.

I'll reserve judgement for another couple weeks to see if this defense will be prone to give up the big plays every week, or just while they are gelling.

hamrob
09-15-2008, 11:32 PM
Not trying to toot my own horn (well, yes, I guess I am :)), and this could blow up in my face, but I did see the possibility of 12-4 or 13-3, and was lambasted a bit as a blind homer for suggesting it.

As I said over the offseason, I have watched every Broncos game for 20+ years. I have seen bad Broncos teams, and this isn't a bad Broncos team. Last year, the team's record was far worse than the talent (although injuries played a role). Our number one problem last year was coaching. We became MUCH better with addition via subtraction (Bates and Heimerdinger).

So, we could go 5-9 from here on out, but as I didn't think so in April, and I didn't think so in July, I don't think so now.Tned...if you go back and take a peak...I was one of the few that said we had a chance to be much improved and possibly could go 12-4/13-3. Which is my point...things are looking much different today then this summer and those folks out there that were preaching 8-8 or worse are pretty quiet these days!

hamrob
09-15-2008, 11:35 PM
I'm not trying to be a pessimist, but defense does win championships. Our lack of pass rush and the lack of playmakers at MLB and Safety are gonna hurt us. WRs were running free vs Oakland and SD finally made us pay. I know most teams don't have the weapons that SD has and we will face some more plodding teams, but I will remain CAUTIOUSLY optimistic.

That being said, I don't think it's a homer statement to say that the O may already be Super Bowl ready.Tell that to the Colts. Did you happen to watch the Eagles/Cowboys tonight? Where's the defense. So, take a peak around the league...whose got the defense to beat all these offensive teams? The Steelers? Maybe. We'll get an idea of that next week when they play the Eagles.

MOtorboat
09-15-2008, 11:37 PM
Tell that to the Colts. Did you happen to watch the Eagles/Cowboys tonight? Where's the defense. So, take a peak around the league...whose got the defense to beat all these offensive teams? The Steelers? Maybe. We'll get an idea of that next week when they play the Eagles.

When the Colts won their Championship...it was their best defensive season...imo.

The Eagles and Cowboys can put up as many points as they want, yet they keep losing in the playoffs.

Defense DOES win championships.

SmilinAssasSin27
09-16-2008, 04:17 PM
When the Colts won their Championship...it was their best defensive season...imo.

The Eagles and Cowboys can put up as many points as they want, yet they keep losing in the playoffs.

Defense DOES win championships.

Brady broke every single season passing mark last year. The Pats scored more than any team in history. Randy Moss broke the TD receiving record. Who won the Super Bowl?

NightTrainLayne
09-16-2008, 04:58 PM
I have to admit that I thought we would possibly be 0-2 to start off the season a few months ago.

I'm too lazy to go back and look up posts, but on more than one occasion I predicted a slow start leading up to the bye, but then a turn of the tide after the bye week when our schedule loosens up some.

I don't think my prediction was in a "negative nancy" frame of mind, but just cognizant that there had been a ton of changes on both sides of the ball, and it might take some time for young players to adjust to them.

As it turns out, I'm just as happy as could be with a 2-0 record. If I could, I'd just tell Shanny to pour some more fuel into that raging inferno of an offense, and by the bye week, lets keep our fingers crossed that the defense has come around some.

The defense is too weak to get us very far in the playoffs, but this should be a fun season, and if they can shore up the D some, who knows.

This is one time when I'm proud to say I was completely and utterly wrong. Nice analysis and congrats Tned, and others who predicted bigger and better things than I.

Lonestar
09-16-2008, 04:58 PM
I thought that the broncos would be 0-2 at this point. We're 2-0, and playing:

New Orleans at home this week. LOSS

week 4 @ KC = Win

week 5 Tampa By = LOSS.

week 6 JAX = Another LOSS.

week 7 @ NE = without Tom Brady but by then the Offense will be changed to reflect Cassell and his strong points. We play in NE. LOSS

week 8 BYE =

week 9 Miami = WIN

week 10 @ Cleveland = in a close one. LOSS.

week 11 @ ATL = Win but closer than we want it to be..

week 12 Oakland = Bush runs wild like the wind a close WIN

week 13 @NY Jets = Farve is the QB we play in NYC. LOSS although I think I had this as a win earlier in the year.

week 14 KC = WIN

week 15 @ Carolina = Lose another to great running team IN Carolina LOSS.

week 16 Buffalo = Stronger than I thought they would be. WIN

week 17 @ SD= They should have won the first one and they KNOW it they were unstoppable even though they had HUGE plays n us I do not see us fixing that problem with existing starters.. LOSS

I think we have to get a running game going and right now I do not see that happening enough to take the load off of Jay and the dos amigos. Eventually someone will figure out out to slow one of both down. Or if they get the ball 10-16 time a game one will get hurt..

OUR lack of defense is going to hurt this team.. Games are won or LOST on the LOS and so far the DL sucks.. neither QB we have played so far had to have their Uniforms washed after our games.. Champ and DJ are the defense as we speak..

OUR MLB is making plays 2-5 yards down field behind the LOS.. The only reason we were not gashed BY SAN was LT was obviously not himself ands we got a lot of help from the officials first on the "Champ" pick/steal/recovery or what ever you want to call it.. And then Ed Hockillys gift in the final drive.. They did not have to rely on Gates cause their WR core that has sucked for years is very respectable now..

8-8 unless we get lucky and there are major injuries on the other teams we play..

NightTrainLayne
09-16-2008, 05:00 PM

week 4 @ KC = Win

week 5 Tampa By = LOSS.

week 7 @ NE = without Tom Brady but by then the Offense will be changed to reflect Cassell and his strong points. We play in NE. LOSS

week 8 BYE =

week 9 Miami = WIN

week 13 @NY Jets = Farve is the QB we play in NYC. LOSS although I think I had this as a win earlier in the year.

week 14 KC = WIN

week 17 @ SD= They should have won the first one and they KNOW it they were unstoppable even though they had HUGE plays n us I do not see us fixing that problem with existing starters.. LOSS

I think we have to get a running game going and right now I do not see that happening enough to take the load off of Jay and the dos amigos. Eventually someone will figure out out to slow one of both down. Or if they get the ball 10-16 time a game one will get hurt..

OUR lack of defense is going to hurt this team.. Games are won or LOST on the LOS and so far the DL sucks.. neither QB we have played so far had to have their Uniforms washed after our games.. Champ and DJ are the defense as we speak..

OUR MLB is making plays 2-5 yards down field behind the LOS.. The only reason we were not gashed BY SAN was LT was obviously not himself ands we got a lot of help from the officials first on the "Champ" pick/steal/recovery or what ever you want to call it.. And then Ed Hockillys gift in the final drive.. They did not have to rely on Gates cause their WR core that has sucked for years is very respectable now..

8-8 unless we get lucky and there are major injuries on the other teams we play..

^^^Negative Nancy^^^

:D

SarahKay
09-16-2008, 05:07 PM

Like the sound of it. And really like week 11. I will be at that game. :salute:

nevcraw
09-16-2008, 06:12 PM

week 4 @ KC = Win

week 5 Tampa By = LOSS.

week 8 BYE =

week 9 Miami = WIN

week 14 KC = WIN

wow..
3 home losses back to back to back? that's a bit dramatic don't you think?

Also - we didn't lose the San Diego game. We should have...??
We should have scored a TD pass in stead of whiffing the ball.
We should have thrown a TD instead of the endzone pick.
We should have done a bunch of things.. Lose that game? Not a chance..

I'm not ready to pack it in on the season or the Defense.. the rest of teams we play are not as bad as the the Raiders and not as good as the Chargers so I like our chances..

jrelway
09-16-2008, 06:32 PM

week 4 @ KC = Win

week 5 Tampa By = LOSS.

week 8 BYE =

week 9 Miami = WIN

week 14 KC = WIN

wow. thats all i got to say about that.

omac
09-16-2008, 06:37 PM
Tned...if you go back and take a peak...I was one of the few that said we had a chance to be much improved and possibly could go 12-4/13-3. Which is my point...things are looking much different today then this summer and those folks out there that were preaching 8-8 or worse are pretty quiet these days!

Yeah, hamrob, they have been a bit quiet; also, some who were pissed at the Clady and Royal picks still haven't given them their props.

The defense and ST coverage needs a lot of work, but as Tned has pointed out, most of SD's offense came off of a few small dump-offs that turned into big plays. We were actually leading this game with a good enough (dare I say comfortable) margin, before we let them back in. On the 3rd quarter, we experimented a bit, using less of the shotgun, and trying to establish the run more, and that didn't work. When we went back to our bread and butter offense, we moved the ball at will.

I will say this about our offense; it is eerily similar to NE last season. In the same light, I expect it to be tougher to pass in the latter half or third of the season, as other teams will have tons of game footage. It will be of major importance to have a very solid rushing offense before then.

One thing to note; it's not like what we're doing is new, as we've been doing similar plays last season. It's just that we have so much better pass protection now, so the plays are so much more effective. Props to the rookie Clady, the sophomore Harris, and the whole OL for that. :cheers:

Lonestar
09-16-2008, 07:11 PM
wow..
3 home losses back to back to back? that's a bit dramatic don't you think?

Also - we didn't lose the San Diego game. We should have...??
We should have scored a TD pass in stead of whiffing the ball.
We should have thrown a TD instead of the endzone pick.
We should have done a bunch of things.. Lose that game? Not a chance..

I'm not ready to pack it in on the season or the Defense.. the rest of teams we play are not as bad as the the Raiders and not as good as the Chargers so I like our chances..

You do not think that IF we would have scored on your Should haves that SAN would not have simply comeback each time and scored?

It was one of those old AFL games of who had the ball last wins..

You can caulk that win up to divine intervention cause being up 21-3 and allowing them to dominate in the second half well we got real lucky..

as of right now our defense sucks.. moss appears to be the latest bust, webster at MLB well that is a joke and the safeties are still glowing from the torching they got.. Our DL is still trying to figure out what the QB's do in a game.. They have not been close enough in either game to get an introduction..

Offense may win some games but Defense wins championships.. and right now we would have to score 40+ per games to win out.. And one or more of these up coming games Jay is going to get introduced to the seat of his pants..

BTW if anyone starts to run on us they get to keep the ball most of the day with Jay and company cooling their heels on the bench..

omac
09-16-2008, 07:11 PM

week 4 @ KC = Win

week 5 Tampa By = LOSS.

week 8 BYE =

week 9 Miami = WIN

week 14 KC = WIN

Jrwiz, come on, man. You like to look at the weaknesses of the Broncos, but you don't like to even it up by looking at the weaknesses of the other teams. You only like to look at their strengths, versus our weaknesses, and you gloss over our strengths.

Jacksonville. Really? Have you been paying any attention to what's happening there? Their OL is decimated by injuries, just like we were last season. It's causing Garrard all kinds of problems; he hasn't looked good this season, hurrying and forcing throws, getting sacked, INTs. It's also not helping their usually consistent rushing attack. Currently, they are a team in offensive shambles, such that MJD vented his frustrations to the media.

New England. Can you see how they're winning? They're doing it by trying to keep the score low, because they don't want Cassell to be passing a lot and making mistakes. They're managing the game and the score, hoping to pin their wins through their defense.

Our potential strength against them is that we've proven against a consistently top defense that we can score a lot of points. If we get into a shootout with them, which odds do you really favor? Matt Cassell or Jay Cutler?

Cleveland. They still have no defense, just like last season. We can definitely get into a shootout with them. Their offense right now, though, has been sputtering. It's been nowhere near last season, and Derek Anderson hasn't played well at all. In the later part of last season, teams have adjusted to Anderson, and he was much less effective, as his stats will show, so we'll see just how effective he can be this season. So far, he's been off to such a poor start that people are starting to think that maybe Quinn gets his start late in the season.

NYJ. Again, we can go into a shootout with them. Favre's looked pretty good ... against Miami ... Miami! He didn't look good against NE. If we couldn't get credit for our demolition of the Raiders, why are Favre and the Jets getting props for their performance against Miami? Also, Favre made an intentional bonehead pass into the air, nowhere near his intended target; it was practically a punt, high and short. Luckily, the nearest person to the landing area was a Jets player who was not the intended target. It's intentional decisions like that, that could hurt the Jets on offense. Remember, last season in GB, he played so well because he finally bought into McCarthy's system, and allowed himself to be reigned in. As they treat him like a superstar in NY, he may go for tons of INTs too.

SD. Your logic regarding the first game is totaly way off. Again, you're looking at our weaknesses, and not theirs. You say we couldn't stop them; fine, but I say they couldn't stop us either. So we both have weaknesses in pressuring the QB; we couldn't get to theirs, and they couldn't get to ours. And it was us, not them, who were dictating the game, but we let them in. You'll probably like to focus on the INT and the fumble. Okay, both were caused by Jay, not their defense. Jay made one bad decision, and in the other, the ball just slipped. It had nothing to do with their vaunted defense.

Instead of focussing on the botched fumble call, you should really be focussing on how the Chargers reacted when they had 2 chances to beat us. They knew we were going to pass the ball, and they couldn't stop us, even with the same exact play, to the same exact player.

That's 2 games they've lost, and 2 games they've given excuses. That says a ton about their team.

Now can we lose all those games. Sure! But let's at least be objective in how we gauge those teams weaknesses too.

I know you're just cautiously pessimistic for the Broncos, because you want them to shore up their weaknesses so they can be really good, but there's still some chances we win those games despite our weaknesses. :cheers:

Lonestar
09-16-2008, 07:15 PM
Yeah, hamrob, they have been a bit quiet; also, some who were pissed at the Clady and Royal picks still haven't given them their props.

The defense and ST coverage needs a lot of work, but as Tned has pointed out, most of SD's offense came off of a few small dump-offs that turned into big plays. We were actually leading this game with a good enough (dare I say comfortable) margin, before we let them back in. On the 3rd quarter, we experimented a bit, using less of the shotgun, and trying to establish the run more, and that didn't work. When we went back to our bread and butter offense, we moved the ball at will.

I will say this about our offense; it is eerily similar to NE last season. In the same light, I expect it to be tougher to pass in the latter half or third of the season, as other teams will have tons of game footage. It will be of major importance to have a very solid rushing offense before then.

One thing to note; it's not like what we're doing is new, as we've been doing similar plays last season. It's just that we have so much better pass protection now, so the plays are so much more effective. Props to the rookie Clady, the sophomore Harris, and the whole OL for that. :cheers:

much better than I could have dreamed ..

Your correct about later in the year along with the game footage you have to factor in lousy weather. Jay, Marshall and royale will not have the same games as we have seen..

Lonestar
09-16-2008, 07:26 PM
Jrwiz, come on, man. You like to look at the weaknesses of the Broncos, but you don't like to even it up by looking at the weaknesses of the other teams. You only like to look at their strengths, versus our weaknesses, and you gloss over our strengths.

Jacksonville. Really? Have you been paying any attention to what's happening there? Their OL is decimated by injuries, just like we were last season. It's causing Garrard all kinds of problems; he hasn't looked good this season, hurrying and forcing throws, getting sacked, INTs. It's also not helping their usually consistent rushing attack. Currently, they are a team in offensive shambles, such that MJD vented his frustrations to the media.

New England. Can you see how they're winning? They're doing it by trying to keep the score low, because they don't want Cassell to be passing a lot and making mistakes. They're managing the game and the score, hoping to pin their wins through their defense.

Our potential strength against them is that we've proven against a consistently top defense that we can score a lot of points. If we get into a shootout with them, which odds do you really favor? Matt Cassell or Jay Cutler?

Cleveland. They still have no defense, just like last season. We can definitely get into a shootout with them. Their offense right now, though, has been sputtering. It's been nowhere near last season, and Derek Anderson hasn't played well at all. In the later part of last season, teams have adjusted to Anderson, and he was much less effective, as his stats will show, so we'll see just how effective he can be this season. So far, he's been off to such a poor start that people are starting to think that maybe Quinn gets his start late in the season.

NYJ. Again, we can go into a shootout with them. Favre's looked pretty good ... against Miami ... Miami! He didn't look good against NE. If we couldn't get credit for our demolition of the Raiders, why are Favre and the Jets getting props for their performance against Miami? Also, Favre made an intentional bonehead pass into the air, nowhere near his intended target; it was practically a punt, high and short. Luckily, the nearest person to the landing area was a Jets player who was not the intended target. It's intentional decisions like that, that could hurt the Jets on offense. Remember, last season in GB, he played so well because he finally bought into McCarthy's system, and allowed himself to be reigned in. As they treat him like a superstar in NY, he may go for tons of INTs too.

SD. Your logic regarding the first game is totaly way off. Again, you're looking at our weaknesses, and not theirs. You say we couldn't stop them; fine, but I say they couldn't stop us either. So we both have weaknesses in pressuring the QB; we couldn't get to theirs, and they couldn't get to ours. And it was us, not them, who were dictating the game, but we let them in. You'll probably like to focus on the INT and the fumble. Okay, both were caused by Jay, not their defense. Jay made one bad decision, and in the other, the ball just slipped. It had nothing to do with their vaunted defense.

Instead of focussing on the botched fumble call, you should really be focussing on how the Chargers reacted when they had 2 chances to beat us. They knew we were going to pass the ball, and they couldn't stop us, even with the same exact play, to the same exact player.

That's 2 games they've lost, and 2 games they've given excuses. That says a ton about their team.

Now can we lose all those games. Sure! But let's at least be objective in how we gauge those teams weaknesses too.

I know you're just cautiously pessimistic for the Broncos, because you want them to shore up their weaknesses so they can be really good, but there's still some chances we win those games despite our weaknesses. :cheers:

I hope I'm wrong but history is on my side..

I hope that mikey can fix the defense but I just do not see how with the lack of talent in key positions.. MLB, DT, DE, DE and safeties..

Right now we have DJ and Champ. Bly on occasion but past that NADA..

It all goes back to the DL and they are getting torched..

YOU WIN or LOSE @ the LOS.. right now that is a HUGE deficit for us on D..

Not sure how long it is going to take some DC to figure out how to pressure Jay. When that happens and it will the passing games will become a bit more average..

The past few years I've been pretty spot on on guessing W-L for the year.. has a few surprise games in both directions. but I'm pretty close..

Now If I'm completely off that is OK by me, but I do not think so.. 2009 should be a dammed good year IF they can get some heat on the DL and a MLB and at least one great safeties from somewhere..

Tned
09-16-2008, 07:28 PM
BTW if anyone starts to run on us they get to keep the ball most of the day with Jay and company cooling their heels on the bench..

Come on, there is nothing that has happened to do to back up this statement.

In week one, the Broncos held Oakland under 100 yards until Fargas broke one long run with under 5 to go in a game where the Broncos had blown them out.

Taking that drive out:

Fargas 15 for 49 3.3 YPC
McFadden 9 for 46 5.1 YPC

McFadden had a good average, not as good as he did this weekend, but Fargas the starter was held to 3.3 YPC until that last run in a meaningful drive.

Against SD, the Broncos held SD to 10 rushing yards in the first half, and then gave up 70 in the second half for a total of 80.

Sproles 7 for 53 7.6
LT 10 for 26 2.6 YPC

So, to date there is nothing we have seen that shows teams can run all over us.

It's way to early to know one way or the other, but early indications are this team is much better than last years team against the run.

LRtagger
09-16-2008, 07:33 PM
spoken like a true football expert... i say we shut down steve smith and we can beat carolina

Steve Smith will be the least of our worries when we play Carolina. They have the best RB tandum in the league IMO

Lonestar
09-16-2008, 07:39 PM
Come on, there is nothing that has happened to do to back up this statement.

In week one, the Broncos held Oakland under 100 yards until Fargas broke one long run with under 5 to go in a game where the Broncos had blown them out.

Taking that drive out:

Fargas 15 for 49 3.3 YPC
McFadden 9 for 46 5.1 YPC

McFadden had a good average, not as good as he did this weekend, but Fargas the starter was held to 3.3 YPC until that last run in a meaningful drive.

Against SD, the Broncos held SD to 10 rushing yards in the first half, and then gave up 70 in the second half for a total of 80.

Sproles 7 for 53 7.6
LT 10 for 26 2.6 YPC

So, to date there is nothing we have seen that shows teams can run all over us.

It's way to early to know one way or the other, but early indications are this team is much better than last years team against the run.

I believe that we have taken the teams out of of their lets run on Den cause they suck with scoring a couple of quick scores..

I think other teams are going to see from game tapes that they can indeed run consistently on DEN.. Nothing has changed from last year other than we lost John and moved DJ to his natural position..

Oh I forgot Thomas has another year under his belt.. Yeah I know we have Robertson, for as long as his gimpy knee holds up..

But we all know that you win and lose on the LOS and right now our DLINE sucks..

But then of course since we can't get any pressure on the QB perhaps they will indeed pass on us all this year AT WILL..

You win games with offense and win championships with defense and frankly we do not have that as we speak..

omac
09-16-2008, 07:47 PM
I hope I'm wrong but history is on my side..

I hope that mikey can fix the defense but I just do not see how with the lack of talent in key positions.. MLB, DT, DE, DE and safeties..

Right now we have DJ and Champ. Bly on occasion but past that NADA..

It all goes back to the DL and they are getting torched..

YOU WIN or LOSE @ the LOS.. right now that is a HUGE deficit for us on D..

Not sure how long it is going to take some DC to figure out how to pressure Jay. When that happens and it will the passing games will become a bit more average..

The past few years I've been pretty spot on on guessing W-L for the year.. has a few surprise games in both directions. but I'm pretty close..

Now If I'm completely off that is OK by me, but I do not think so.. 2009 should be a dammed good year IF they can get some heat on the DL and a MLB and at least one great safeties from somewhere..

Fair enough; I also have my doubts with this defense. I knew our pass rush wouldn't be good, so I was hoping some blitzing schemes would help mask that. So far, they haven't been close to successful, and it's making our corners look bad.

I'm just not sure how bad or good the defense is yet. We've played 2 teams that are in opposite extremes of the spectrum with regards to offense. We played a poor offensive team in Oakland, and a powerful offensive team in SD. Against the poor one, we only gave away points when it was already meaningless. Against the powerful one, we gave up a lot of points, albeit through only a few big plays that the D missed on.

NO's offense is hot right now, even though they allowed the Redskins to get back in the game and beat them. They have a good passing attack, but I'm not that impressed with their rushing attack. We may ease off on the run a little to concenttrate on getting pressure for the passing attack.

To me, the most dangerous team in our schedule is not SD; it's Carolina, followed by Buffalo. They're solid all around, and their QB's exume leadership.

jrelway
10-05-2008, 07:15 PM
man o man. if we can win beat jax @ home, and come away with a victory @ NE, get some good rest on our bye week, i can see us coasting through the 2nd half with only a couple of losses.. 13-3 guys. VERY possible.

SmilinAssasSin27
10-05-2008, 10:45 PM
As I've said before, we can win the rest of em, but w/ our D, we can lose em all too. That being said, with the way Pittsburgh exposed Jax's struggling defense, our WRs should have a field day. Hopefully we can control their run. Don't underestimate NE either, but that game,too, is very winnable.

I worry about Carolina, SD, Buf and NYJ the most. Clev, Atl, Jax, NE and Miami all have their dangerous qualities, but if the O is clicking we should come out on top. Oak and KC should be wins regardless.

underrated29
10-06-2008, 11:00 AM
ALRIGHT. I see us dropping games to Car, Mia, Buf. We should be able to win the rest. That puts us at 12-4, division kings, and possible homefield throughout... We still have to see how Tenn does with their cake schedule, and maybe Indy bounces back as they get healthier. Car also has a cake schedule and can make a run, but for now we are looking pretty darn good.

TXBRONC
10-06-2008, 12:52 PM
ALRIGHT. I see us dropping games to Car, Mia, Buf. We should be able to win the rest. That puts us at 12-4, division kings, and possible homefield throughout... We still have to see how Tenn does with their cake schedule, and maybe Indy bounces back as they get healthier. Car also has a cake schedule and can make a run, but for now we are looking pretty darn good.

If our defense is truly improving then all of those games are winnable. I'm not saying we will but barring injury to key players and the defense not reverting back to its earlier form Denver could conceivably win those games.

BroncoJoe
10-06-2008, 12:59 PM
I really think we'll go undefeated at home this year. I'm worried about SAN, CAR, and the Jets.

SmilinAssasSin27
10-06-2008, 08:48 PM

That...and Carolina is in the NFC.

hamrob
10-06-2008, 11:09 PM
I really think we'll go undefeated at home this year. I'm worried about SAN, CAR, and the Jets.Yeah, I agree with you there. I also worry about Atlanta and Jax next week. I could see us losing 4 of these five.