PDA

View Full Version : shanny shocks his players with the call.

jrelway
09-15-2008, 10:08 AM
Two-pointer stuns even Denver players

September 14, 2008 11:09 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

DENVER -- Brandon Stokley came running off the field, frantically trying to get the attention of Broncos coach Mike Shanahan with 24 seconds remaining in the game Sunday.

Stokley was trying to let his coach know that the Broncos were down by only one point, not two.

Despite committing what appeared to be a game-ending fumble, Denver QB Jay Cutler rebounded to lead his team to an exciting victory over the Chargers.

"I thought we had the score wrong. I was telling them that we just needed one point to tie, not two. I thought they lost count," Stokley said. "It was so wild out there."

An afternoon of controversial calls, comebacks and eye-popping individual efforts -- including an 18-catch outing by Denver receiver Brandon Marshall -- suddenly was overshadowed by one of the gutsiest coaching calls in recent NFL history as Denver stunned San Diego, 39-38.

It turned out Stokley was wrong. Shanahan knew all along that his team trailed, 38-37.

It didn't matter. Shanahan wanted his offense to stay on the field.

"I was shocked," Denver cornerback Champ Bailey said. "I didn't see it coming. You expect a team that's 1-6 and is on the road to call that play. But we have a chance to do something here and to get that type of play, could really get us rolling. I love it."

Had Bailey been in the Broncos' offensive huddle at the start of Denver's game-winning drive at its 20-yard line with 4:22 to go, he would not have been shocked.

Denver quarterback Jay Cutler brought his offense together and gave the plan devised by Shanahan and passing coordinator Jeremy Bates. They were going to drive 80 yards, score a touchdown and then go for the two-pointer.

"Jay gave us the plan in the huddle," tight end Tony Scheffler said. "We all looked at each other and thought it was a great idea. You don't want to lose a game like this on a coin toss .... Our coach is going for it this year."

Denver actually won on two make-or break plays.

On fourth-and-goal from the 4, Cutler hit rookie Eddie Royal for a touchdown. The Broncos ran the same play for the two-pointer, with Royal grabbing the game-winner as the Denver fans chanted "Ed-die."

It was only the third time since the NFL implemented the two-point conversion in 1994 that a team won a game with the two-point play.

"There were some guys on our sidelines who were confused that we were going for it," Denver tight end Nate Jackson said. "But this team has had our number. Now we have all the momentum."

The call had major ramifications. Denver, which had lost four straight games to San Diego, raised its record to 2-0 and now has a two-game lead on the Chargers, who lost on defense in the final minute in back-to-back weeks. San Diego lost at home to Carolina on the final play last week, a 14-yard touchdown catch.

"This is another killer," San Diego safety Eric Weddle said. "We have to stop doing this to ourselves."

However, San Diego coach Norv Turner said the Chargers should have never been put in the situation to lose the game on the two-point play.

After playing brilliantly most of the game, Cutler threw an interception at the goal line with less than six minutes to go and Denver leading, 31-30. Then he got sloppy at the end of the game. On second-and-goal from the San Diego 1 with 1:17 to go, Cutler lost control of the ball and it was recovered by San Diego at the 10. The play was initially called an incomplete pass.

The officials reviewed the play and decided it was a fumble, but the play was ruled dead at the 10 because a quarterback pass/fumble rule does not permit a possession change, according to official Ed Hochuli.

Clearly, the Chargers were upset. Cutler even admitted it was a fumble. Turner was as clear in his thoughts.

"On the last play, it was clearly a fumble," Turner said. "This is a high-level performance game, and it is not acceptable to have a game decided on that play ... it was just disappointing to have that kind of performance spoiled by that call."

Both quarterbacks, Cutler and San Diego's Philip Rivers, had amazing games. Cutler threw for 350 yards and Rivers for 377. San Diego running back Darren Sproles -- filling in for a gimpy LaDainian Tomlinson -- had a 103-yard kickoff return for a touchdown and a 66-yard touchdown catch from Rivers. There was Marshall, returning from a one-game NFL suspension, to catch 18 passes for 166 yards.

In the end, though, what will be remembered was the two-pointer that put Denver in the driver's seat of the AFC West.

"I didn't know we were going to do it until Matt (Prater, Denver's kicker) and I were running on the field to tie the game," Denver long snapper Mike Leach said. "I saw Cutler still on the field and I saw that he was holding up two fingers. I said, 'Really?' Then, I ran off the field as fast as I could. I think the entire stadium was shocked."

MOtorboat
09-15-2008, 10:13 AM
Yeah, heard Brandon talking about it on Dan Patrick's show too...I love it. :D.

NightTrainLayne
09-15-2008, 10:15 AM
I have to give credit to CoachChaz.

During the last drive, and before the fumble call, Coach texted me, "I say score and go for two."

Great call Coach!

O-ManePunisher
09-15-2008, 10:17 AM
I love how this season is going so far i have a real good feeling about this team :)

BMF Bronco
09-15-2008, 10:34 AM
I have to give credit to CoachChaz.

During the last drive, and before the fumble call, Coach texted me, "I say score and go for two."

Great call Coach!

I think a majority of fans were thinking that same thing, I certainly was, but the fact that Shanny actually did it is an entirely different thing.

BroncoWave
09-15-2008, 11:05 AM
I was actually thinking it would have been moronic for him to go for 2, but I'm happy to have been proven wrong!

MileHighWrath
09-15-2008, 11:26 AM
I was in shock myself. I simply could not believe that Shanny would do that ....no way do you make that call. But, it worked. What else can you say? Had it not worked I would be one seriously unhappy camper. Now, however, I'm freakin' ecstatic!

jrelway
09-15-2008, 11:27 AM
the mastermind strikes again! i too was like wtf are you doing shanny!!

MOtorboat
09-15-2008, 11:50 AM
the mastermind strikes again! i too was like wtf are you doing shanny!!

I was standing after the touchdown, and my boss wandered into the kitchen to get a beer, and I sat back down, then when I saw Shanahan holding up two fingers I stood back up and went, "uh...he's going for two..." My boss came back from the kitchen and was like, "What, really?"

jhns
09-15-2008, 11:52 AM
I wanted him to go for two and later found out our logic was the same. Why leave the game up to an overtime coin toss when you can win it now?

jrelway
09-15-2008, 12:03 PM
I was standing after the touchdown, and my boss wandered into the kitchen to get a beer, and I sat back down, then when I saw Shanahan holding up two fingers I stood back up and went, "uh...he's going for two..." My boss came back from the kitchen and was like, "What, really?"

haha..i made my wife cross her fingers and her toes.

NightTrainLayne
09-15-2008, 12:06 PM

Is your boss married MB?

MOtorboat
09-15-2008, 12:08 PM
Is your boss married MB?

Yes, :confused:

NightTrainLayne
09-15-2008, 12:19 PM
Yes, :confused:

Nevermind, carry on. I have a single friend, who works at a small paper, and, I thought they might have something in common.

MOtorboat
09-15-2008, 12:21 PM
Nevermind, carry on. I have a single friend, who works at a small paper, and, I thought they might have something in common.

Nope, he told his wife he was going to the office to get some things done and he ended up at my house, with a drink in his hand...

hamrob
09-15-2008, 12:23 PM
After we got that call on the fumble...I thought...why not? I mean we just lost the game and a miracle gave us new life...why not go for it. But, it sounds like they new they were going to go for two...long before Cutler fumbled that ball. BMarsh said that Coach/Cutler made the decision before they started that final drive. Pretty impressive.

GEM
09-15-2008, 12:27 PM
"On the last play, it was clearly a fumble," Turner said. "This is a high-level performance game, and it is not acceptable to have a game decided on that play ... it was just disappointing to have that kind of performance spoiled by that call."

What an idiot. That wasn't the last play moron. If it were the last play, you'd have reason to whine. You had 3 more tries to stop what was coming, you didn't. You lost.

FFS, I'm tired of hearing it already. You make your own destiny SD, stop the TD or stop the 2 pter and you win. It's not that hard to understand.

Any Broncos fan who says they aren't proud of this win is nuts. Our boys went out there and scored 39 pts on a team we couldn't score 7 on in 2 games last year. This game was NEVER given to us. Try telling that to the boys on offense. I'm sure they'd have something to say about it.

Hawgdriver
09-15-2008, 12:28 PM
I think Shanny was trying to make a point with the call. We had seen so many close losses at the end of games we should have won (like come from behind losses to the Colts in previous years). It seems in the past three years our defense has ceased to exist at the end of games. He made the call with regard to how unreliable the defense has been and also to give Cutler and the offense a chance to show that they can execute when it's for all the marbles. As risky as it is, the fact that the D is unreliable gives it more thoughtfulness, and it also gives the team a chance to instill the proper winning mentality. The reward from the call, if they convert, was too great to ignore. Shanny said it was a 'gut', but I think it came from too many crushing come-from-behind losses in recent history.

Talk about a confidence boost for the offense. I'll bet those guys (the offense) feel like they are unbeatable. What a great feeling to give a team--the concept that you can always win it with #6 pulling the trigger. You could only have the team believing that deep down with something like this. And the message to the D: you're not there yet, so pick it up!

Medford Bronco
09-15-2008, 12:30 PM
What an idiot. That wasn't the last play moron. If it were the last play, you'd have reason to whine. You had 3 more tries to stop what was coming, you didn't. You lost.

FFS, I'm tired of hearing it already. You make your own destiny SD, stop the TD or stop the 2 pter and you win. It's not that hard to understand.

Any Broncos fan who says they aren't proud of this win is nuts. Our boys went out there and scored 39 pts on a team we couldn't score 7 on in 2 games last year. This game was NEVER given to us. Try telling that to the boys on offense. I'm sure they'd have something to say about it.

We got a lucky break, kind of like some "tuck Rule" that happened a few years ago. A win is a win is a win and I will take it.

I just hope our leaky defense gets fixed or we will still struggle to win 10 games and this team is capable of a great year if our defense can just be mediorce even.

Medford Bronco
09-15-2008, 12:31 PM
I think Shanny was trying to make a point with the call. We had seen so many close losses at the end of games we should have won (like come from behind losses to the Colts in previous years). It seems in the past three years our defense has ceased to exist at the end of games. He made the call with regard to how unreliable the defense has been and also to give Cutler and the offense a chance to show that they can execute when it's for all the marbles. As risky as it is, the fact that the D is unreliable gives it more thoughtfulness, and it also gives the team a chance to instill the proper winning mentality. The reward from the call, if they convert, was too great to ignore. Shanny said it was a 'gut', but I think it came from too many crushing come-from-behind losses in recent history.

Talk about a confidence boost for the offense. I'll bet those guys (the offense) feel like they are unbeatable. What a great feeling to give a team--the concept that you can always win it with #6 pulling the trigger. You could only have the team believing that deep down with something like this. And the message to the D: you're not there yet, so pick it up!

It also came from losing the toss too many times that led to ot losses in recenty memory. Gutsy and great call Shanny :beer:

Denver Native (Carol)
09-15-2008, 12:36 PM

Great post GEM - I am really getting tired of hearing nothing but comments on the blown call - Yes, it was a BAD call; HOWEVER, to hear most talk, you would think the BAD call also included the ref giving the Broncos a TD, and giving the Broncos the 2 point conversion. Neither the TD or the 2 point conversion was AUTOMATIC - the Broncos had to execute on BOTH plays - AND SAN DIEGO'S DEFENSE HAD THE CHANCE TO STOP EITHER PLAY - AND DID NOT

ikillz0mbies
09-15-2008, 01:06 PM
I honestly think that blown calls in sports is actually a good thing, on RARE occasions though. Here's why. Take this game for example, as Denver Native (Carol) mentioned, even after the blown call by the ref, the Chargers had TWO chances to stop the Broncos in the end zone. They did allow the touchdown for 6 points. They had another chance to still win the game by stopping a two point conversion, but failed to do so. To blame the loss on one blown call is dumb, because the 4th quarter is not the only chance to win the game. It's a game of FOUR quarters. Where were the Chargers in the 1st and 2nd quarter?

Anyway, in my eyes, blown calls truly show how good teams really are. A true good team would be able to just keep playing regardless of blown calls, injuries, i.e. And a good coach would at least acknowledge the fallacies of his team and admitting that he still had two chances to stop Denver, regardless of the bad calls made by refs.

This happens in basketball too. Being a Sacramento Kings fan in Los Angeles, all I hear about is bad officiating against Kobe and the Lakers. If they were really a good team, they would just keep playing and not whine and b*tch about a missed foul call throughout the whole game.

GEM
09-15-2008, 01:27 PM
I honestly think that blown calls in sports is actually a good thing, on RARE occasions though. Here's why. Take this game for example, as Denver Native (Carol) mentioned, even after the blown call by the ref, the Chargers had TWO chances to stop the Broncos in the end zone. They did allow the touchdown for 6 points. They had another chance to still win the game by stopping a two point conversion, but failed to do so. To blame the loss on one blown call is dumb, because the 4th quarter is not the only chance to win the game. It's a game of FOUR quarters. Where were the Chargers in the 1st and 2nd quarter?

Anyway, in my eyes, blown calls truly show how good teams really are. A true good team would be able to just keep playing regardless of blown calls, injuries, i.e. And a good coach would at least acknowledge the fallacies of his team and admitting that he still had two chances to stop Denver, regardless of the bad calls made by refs.

This happens in basketball too. Being a Sacramento Kings fan in Los Angeles, all I hear about is bad officiating against Kobe and the Lakers. If they were really a good team, they would just keep playing and not whine and b*tch about a missed foul call throughout the whole game.

Adversity makes you stronger, unless you're the Chargers. Then it just turns on the whine.

Dreadnought
09-15-2008, 01:28 PM

Case in point - Week one Damon Huard hits a crossing pattern against blown coverage to get the Chiefs to the Patriots 5 yard line, in a position to pull off a shocking upset. 1st and goal, and enough time to use the whole playbook. The Pats are a good team, and the Chiefs are not, so four plays later they are still at the 5 - game over.

This game Jay Cutler makes terrible plays in each of the Broncos final two drives - but doesn't let it get in his head. He then redeems himself completely. As for the Chargers? Jake Delhomme and Jay Cutler say their pass defense isn't very good, especially when the chips are down.

deacon
09-15-2008, 01:34 PM
I was all for the 2 point call. We hadn't been able to stop them all day. |If they win the toss they were gonna score. Everyone was tired ... and ... they hadn't been able to stop us either. I thought it was a gutsy call and it worked!

SarahKay
09-15-2008, 01:39 PM
HAHA I LOVE IT! :salute:

JONtheBRONCO
09-15-2008, 01:43 PM
Great call. Great execution. Lets not forget young Bates - Shanahan's right hand man. These play calls are like none other. Awesome. Cross your fingers folks this could be an exciting team to watch the next couple months!

Day1BroncoFan
09-15-2008, 01:50 PM
2 for 2 for 2.

2 passess, 2 rececptions for 2 points for 2-0. 2 plays called in our favor in 2 different quarters.

Coincidence? You decide.

I liked the call.

Watchthemiddle
09-15-2008, 02:18 PM
The call to go for two sends a great message to the offense by Shanahan that he has 100% confidence in them to get the job done. Now for the Defense, thats another story. No confidence to stop SD with 24 seconds left, or if we didn't get the coin toss in OT.

CoachChaz
09-15-2008, 03:34 PM
If me and a few others thought it was a good idea, I don't think we should refer to Shanny as the "Mastermind" again just yet. My theory for doing it was simple and may very well have been the hidden reason why Shanny did it.

Why tie the game and hope to win the toss. If SD had won the toss, odds are they'd have come up with some big 60+yard play like they did all day long and fot the field goal quick. The 2 point decision seems like it was based more on his lack of faith in the ST and defense than on his faith in the offense.

Simple Jaded
09-15-2008, 03:45 PM
As Shannon Sharpe might say: I suppose the refs gave us the other 31 points too?......

GEM
09-15-2008, 04:16 PM
As Shannon Sharpe might say: I suppose the refs gave us the other 31 points too?......

Exactly! I guess the ref went in there and took the defenders out on the last td and 2 pter.

On Coach's point...hell, alot of us say we would have gone for the 2 pt. The fact that coaches have only done it 3 times in a dozen years, proves that they aren't smart enough or ballsy enough to do it. We all say we would do a lot of things, but we're not coach's.

BMF Bronco
09-15-2008, 04:54 PM
Exactly! I guess the ref went in there and took the defenders out on the last td and 2 pter.

On Coach's point...hell, alot of us say we would have gone for the 2 pt. The fact that coaches have only done it 3 times in a dozen years, proves that they aren't smart enough or ballsy enough to do it. We all say we would do a lot of things, but we're not coach's.

Amen sister! :beer:

Reidman
09-15-2008, 05:56 PM
I had a wild notion about Shanny going for 2 if we got in the endzone on that last drive. Given how our defense was stopping them, or lack there of. Why send it to OT and have them possibly march down the field and kick a game-winning FG when you can just win it all right there? Hell of a call!

What surprised me was they used the exact same play that they had just scored the TD with...into double coverage!

NameUsedBefore
09-15-2008, 06:22 PM
I was totally onboard for the 2-point call.

I'm kinda of sick of losing the coin toss and then having our offense never see the field again, though.