PDA

View Full Version : Dirk Koetter

Agent of Orange
01-12-2011, 01:57 PM
I've got to be honest. He impressed me in the video posted on db.com. I've really started to warm up to the idea of him possibly being the coach. I still like Dennison but he made a good point about being a head coach before. I don't think no head coaching experience is a death sentence and I dont think having previous head coaching experience is a guarantee either. But, again, he made a solid point.

I also like that he's been able to win with what he has had. If you look at Andrew Walter, who he coached at ASU, he's not really like Garrard. He's supposed to be good at the passing game but he's done well utilizing the running game in Jax.

TiminatorTebow
01-12-2011, 02:15 PM
I've got to be honest. He impressed me in the video posted on db.com. I've really started to warm up to the idea of him possibly being the coach. I still like Dennison but he made a good point about being a head coach before. I don't think no head coaching experience is a death sentence and I dont think having previous head coaching experience is a guarantee either. But, again, he made a solid point.

I also like that he's been able to win with what he has had. If you look at Andrew Walter, who he coached at ASU, he's not really like Garrard. He's supposed to be good at the passing game but he's done well utilizing the running game in Jax.

He's the most boring canidate so far. Maybe he knows his stuff but he could also put people to sleep with his lack of passion.

Agent of Orange
01-12-2011, 02:20 PM
He's the most boring canidate so far. Maybe he knows his stuff but he could also put people to sleep with his lack of passion.

Im not really worried that someone is underanimated. That could actually be good. I also know a lot of people were turned off by fist pumping of the previous coach.

Honestly, Id like a calm coach that guys want to play for and coordinators like to coach under. Id rather it be more about the players than the coach and the coach getting credit.

Buff
01-12-2011, 02:24 PM
If he's not good enough for Arizona State, then he's not good enough for the Denver Broncos IMO. That's probably a little bit of a short sided way to look at things, but if he couldn't get it done there why would he be able to get it done here?

Agent of Orange
01-12-2011, 02:26 PM
If he's not good enough for Arizona State, then he's not good enough for the Denver Broncos IMO. That's probably a little bit of a short sided way to look at things, but if he couldn't get it done there why would he be able to get it done here?

Maybe he's not much of a recruiter? When has Arizona State ever been awesome? I can only think of 1996. Also, he's had winning records at both places he has been in college. Plus, like he said in the video, maybe he's improved as a coach. It happens.

JDL
01-12-2011, 02:27 PM

Koetter is hated here, I don't underestimate the use of the word hate. It isn't strong enough... he is considered 'brash' by radio personalities, was banned from appearing one of the top radio shows here by one of the two hosts (and supposedly would still try to call in when the one host was out.) Absolutely just despised here. I am not sure that is the kind of statesman the Broncos want or outlined when they described their future coach. He's the antithesis.

Lancane
01-12-2011, 02:28 PM

Of his nine seasons as a collegiate head coach he only recorded two losing seasons! Yeah, that sucks.

chazoe60
01-12-2011, 02:31 PM

I'm fine with a boring coach. What I can't stand is boring football. Let's look at McD/Orton combo as an example. McD was a fiery, fist-pumping, emotional little leprechaun and he teamed with arguably the most mind numbingly boring dullard to ever strap on a Broncos helmet(Orton if you couldn't guess) and what was the result? Boring ass football that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Give me a boring guy with a fun lightning rod of a QB any day.

Agent of Orange
01-12-2011, 02:34 PM
Koetter is hated here, I don't underestimate the use of the word hate. It isn't strong enough... he is considered 'brash' by radio personalities, was banned from appearing one of the top radio shows here by one of the two hosts (and supposedly would still try to call in when the one host was out.) Absolutely just despised here. I am not sure that is the kind of statesman the Broncos want or outlined when they described their future coach. He's the antithesis.

What? Please elaborate on this. I know nothing of it.

ChairmanBron
01-12-2011, 03:15 PM
Here is a Q & A between Brian Billick and Koetter posted over a year ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKAWsfB48-4

JaxBroncoGirl
01-12-2011, 03:32 PM
I'm fine with a boring coach. What I can't stand is boring football. Let's look at McD/Orton combo as an example. McD was a fiery, fist-pumping, emotional little leprechaun and he teamed with arguably the most mind numbingly boring dullard to ever strap on a Broncos helmet(Orton if you couldn't guess) and what was the result? Boring ass football that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Give me a boring guy with a fun lightning rod of a QB any day.

Trust me when I say we will be watching Boring Football without of a lot of thinking outside the box. Run, Run, Throw, Kick. 3/out Run up the middle no gain, do it again, do it again, Kick 3/out.

Cannot stand him, have you ever thought the Jaguars want to get rid of him for a reason. Anyone that stands behind Garrard (only a good backup QB) I will not like.

ChairmanBron
01-12-2011, 03:41 PM
Trust me when I say we will be watching Boring Football without of a lot of thinking outside the box. Run, Run, Throw, Kick. 3/out Run up the middle no gain, do it again, do it again, Kick 3/out.

Cannot stand him, have you ever thought the Jaguars want to get rid of him for a reason. Anyone that stands behind Garrard (only a good backup QB) I will not like.

What I've read, seen in the past and heard is that is all Jack Del Rio's doing. He has a strangle hold on the offense and dictates run.

Koetter prefers to air it out.

from jacksonville.com

"I'm absolutely more comfortable in the passing game, but one guy, one coach doesn't just dictate that," Koetter said. "That depends on the philosophy of your general manager, the philosophy of your head coach. How good is your defense? How good is your kicking game? How good is your quarterback?

And he admits his preference is throwing the ball.

"Absolutely," Koetter said. "That's my background. My background is in the passing game, but again, they don't pay you as a coach to go with your preference.

http://jacksonville.com/sports/football/jaguars/2010-05-22/story/jaguars-offensive-coordinator-dirk-koetter-prefers-pass?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+JacksonvillecomMostPopularSto ries+(Jacksonville.com%3A+Most+Popular+Stories)

Warhawk
01-12-2011, 04:30 PM
What I've read, seen in the past and heard is that is all Jack Del Rio's doing. He has a strangle hold on the offense and dictates run.

Koetter prefers to air it out.

This is correct. Koetter runs an offense that Del Rio is comfortable with. While there are elements I'm sure we'd see in Denver (those nice playcalls to Lewis downfield, for example), I think we'd end up with a much more wide-open, vertical passing attack.

JDL
01-12-2011, 04:34 PM
What? Please elaborate on this. I know nothing of it.

Most media members here in Phoenix thought he was a total ahole. Gambo and Ash (for all their flaws.. and there are many) are the top afternoon sports program. Yesterday afternoon, they were laughing about how ridiculous it was that Koetter was even being considered for a HC position in the NFL. Said he was extremely abrasive/brash, total a hole and that they grew tired if his crap and banned him from appearing on the radio call per Gambo. So, apparently he would try to call in on Gambo's days off and talk to Ash... which they found very sleazeball and wouldn't do it.

People don't understand... Dirk Koetter was absolutely hated by fans and media alike here. He could NOT win any big games in the Pac 10 ever...it almost got embarrassing... he only had two good seasons where he went 8-5, 9-3. Otherwise, 4-7, 5-7, 7-5, 7-6 mostly won against really bad teams... only twice had a winning record against the Pac-10, just very mediocre in Pac 10 play. He ALWAYS could beat the bad teams... that is how Boise St got their start but against average to very good teams.. just struggled and that was exposed against other Pac 10 teams.

He's not a bad OC and ASU has not produced the kind of pro offensive talent since he left (OL, TE, QB) BUT he was simply a bad bad head coach that wore out his welcome very quickly.

I Eat Staples
01-12-2011, 05:02 PM
I'd rather run, run, throw than wildcats and reverses. Sometimes it's better to be inside the box after all.

Agent of Orange
01-12-2011, 05:33 PM
Most media members here in Phoenix thought he was a total ahole. Gambo and Ash (for all their flaws.. and there are many) are the top afternoon sports program. Yesterday afternoon, they were laughing about how ridiculous it was that Koetter was even being considered for a HC position in the NFL. Said he was extremely abrasive/brash, total a hole and that they grew tired if his crap and banned him from appearing on the radio call per Gambo. So, apparently he would try to call in on Gambo's days off and talk to Ash... which they found very sleazeball and wouldn't do it.

People don't understand... Dirk Koetter was absolutely hated by fans and media alike here. He could NOT win any big games in the Pac 10 ever...it almost got embarrassing... he only had two good seasons where he went 8-5, 9-3. Otherwise, 4-7, 5-7, 7-5, 7-6 mostly won against really bad teams... only twice had a winning record against the Pac-10, just very mediocre in Pac 10 play. He ALWAYS could beat the bad teams... that is how Boise St got their start but against average to very good teams.. just struggled and that was exposed against other Pac 10 teams.

He's not a bad OC and ASU has not produced the kind of pro offensive talent since he left (OL, TE, QB) BUT he was simply a bad bad head coach that wore out his welcome very quickly.

Thanks for explaining that. I hope you'll allow the rest of us to form our own biases without shoving that down our throats. It's a little hard for us to take sides with the radio personalities you speak of without knowing them. I get that Arizona State wasn't a juggernaut when he was there. But also, what are many people saying about the Broncos giving someone McDaniels his test drive as a head coach? A lot of people are saying they should have let him learn on someone elses time/dime. In other words, maybe Koetter has learned from his time at and away from Arizona State.

Bosco
01-12-2011, 08:23 PM
This is correct. Koetter runs an offense that Del Rio is comfortable with. While there are elements I'm sure we'd see in Denver (those nice playcalls to Lewis downfield, for example), I think we'd end up with a much more wide-open, vertical passing attack.

Koetter ran a vertical version of the spread at Arizona State, so yeah he'd definitely run a much different offense than he does in Jacksonville.