PDA

View Full Version : If the Broncos hire Dirk Koetter...

ChairmanBron
01-12-2011, 12:15 PM
I think he would bring Mike Shula (Jaguar's QB coach) to be his offensive coordinator who recruited Tim Tebow heavily while HC at Alabama and almost got him.

From jacksonville.com

"Timmy could eliminate the other schools [from consideration], but he couldn't eliminate Florida or Alabama," Bob said. "Even after he made the decision, he was in such a quandary. It was going to be painful either way because of the relationships he built with Urban [Meyer, UF coach] and Mike [Shula]. We loved being around Mike. It was not any foregone conclusion that Tim was going to Florida."

Meyer runs a spread offense that Tebow was accustomed to running at Nease High, but the Alabama staff put together a system they believed he'd feel equally as comfortable.

"We weren't going to run the spread, but we wanted him to feel good about how he'd be utilized," Shula said "We weren't just going to let him be a dropback passer. It wasn't going to be the spread, but something that would feature his ability to run the football......

Read more here. http://jacksonville.com/sports/college/florida_gators/2009-12-05/story/how_close_did_crimson_tide_come_to_landing_tim_teb ow

Lancane
01-12-2011, 12:24 PM
I think he would bring Mike Shula (Jaguars' QB coach) to be his offensive coordinator who recruited Tim Tebow heavily while HC at Alabama and almost got him.

From jacksonville.com

Read more here. http://jacksonville.com/sports/college/florida_gators/2009-12-05/story/how_close_did_crimson_tide_come_to_landing_tim_teb ow

Mike Shula would be a damn fine offensive coordinator. Problem is that he was a horrid collegiate head coach, but of course most would agree that he didn't have the credentials to even hold the position. Another coach I think he might bring with him is Joe Cullen, the defensive line coach in Jacksonville to be the defensive coordinator.

BroncoStud
01-12-2011, 12:25 PM
Mike Shula would be a damn fine offensive coordinator. Problem is that he was a horrid collegiate head coach, but of course most would agree that he didn't have the credentials to even hold the position. Another coach I think he might bring with him is Joe Cullen, the defensive line coach in Jacksonville to be the defensive coordinator.

Mike never gets that Bama job if his last name isn't Shula.

Warhawk
01-12-2011, 12:32 PM
Considering the potential HC's, IMO the Koetter + Shula combination would be the biggest win for Tebow and the passing game... and I think it is pretty much a dead lock that Shula would come with Koetter.

broncohead
01-12-2011, 01:12 PM
I dont think Tebow can run the spread at the pro level and be successful. Defenders are too fast and strong. Not saying he cannot be a successful runner at this level but I think the west coast offense would be best. Get the ground game going then PA and get him out of the pocket.

Agent of Orange
01-12-2011, 02:01 PM
Considering the potential HC's, IMO the Koetter + Shula combination would be the biggest win for Tebow and the passing game... and I think it is pretty much a dead lock that Shula would come with Koetter.

I think Kubiak's offense suits Tebow as well as any offense out there.

ChairmanBron
01-12-2011, 02:07 PM
I dont think Tebow can run the spread at the pro level and be successful. Defenders are too fast and strong. Not saying he cannot be a successful runner at this level but I think the west coast offense would be best. Get the ground game going then PA and get him out of the pocket.

Interesting that is exactly what Shula had in mind back then too.
They researched how the Falcons used Vick in the west coast offense.

From the article I posted earlier.

"We researched the Atlanta Falcons and how they used Michael Vick at the time. We weren't going to make [Tebow] fit our system. We were going to tailor our structure towards him."

Bosco
01-12-2011, 08:27 PM

I think Tebow has already dispelled those notions. Tebow and the spread are a perfect match because you get the defense spread out covering three, four or even five wide formations with a bunch of defensive backs that Tebow can easily run through. Mike McCoy absolutely infuriated me with his refusal to do that and instead run Tebow out with 22 personnel.

You stick Tebow in a WCO with it's predominately 2 wide sets and then you start having Tebow roll out into linebackers instead of defensive backs. Kinda neutralizes his effectiveness.

Bosco
01-12-2011, 08:29 PM
They researched how the Falcons used Vick in the west coast offense. One of the worst coaching decisions to ever grace the NFL just FYI. Greg Knapp STILL hasn't lived that one down yet.

Juriga72
01-12-2011, 08:52 PM
I'll laugh sadly if they hire him.

Dzone
01-12-2011, 09:28 PM
Koetter with Mike Shula as OC would be excellent.

EMB6903
01-12-2011, 09:34 PM
2 guys that couldnt hack it at the collegiate level?

Hell ya!

WARHORSE
01-12-2011, 09:40 PM
Well, on another note, if Fox gets hired, McCoy stays where hes at Im pretty sure............he was with Fox in Carolina.

broncohead
01-12-2011, 09:40 PM
Interesting that is exactly what Shula had in mind back then too.
They researched how the Falcons used Vick in the west coast offense.

From the article I posted earlier.

Vick throws better then Tebow at this point.

broncohead
01-12-2011, 09:44 PM
I think Tebow has already dispelled those notions. Tebow and the spread are a perfect match because you get the defense spread out covering three, four or even five wide formations with a bunch of defensive backs that Tebow can easily run through. Mike McCoy absolutely infuriated me with his refusal to do that and instead run Tebow out with 22 personnel.

You stick Tebow in a WCO with it's predominately 2 wide sets and then you start having Tebow roll out into linebackers instead of defensive backs. Kinda neutralizes his effectiveness.

Getting our ground game going should be an offensive priority. If we can effectively run the ball the WCO would be perfect imo. Get the defense flowing one way looking for run then bootleg and give Tebow the option to throw or run. And Tebow hasn't dispelled anything imo. He showed a lot of promise for the future but by no means proves he can be an NFL QB. The WCO would be an ideal fit for him imo

I Eat Staples
01-12-2011, 10:18 PM

I'd be fine with Shula, but I don't want to give another position coach his first shot at DC. Look how that worked out with "Wink."

TXBRONC
01-12-2011, 10:20 PM

I like Tebow a lot but he hasn't dispelled anything. If he had Elway would be on record as saying that Tebow is not a good quarterback yet.

Lancane
01-12-2011, 10:26 PM
Let's not forget that Dennison was the offensive coordinator at a time when Shanahan and Bates began to utilize the spread offense in with the west coast offense. His ground game knowledge comes when he was learning the different blocking schemes under Gibbs, he adapted it for the spread variant we ran and saw it succeed. I don't expect either Koetter or Dennison to come in with either a spread variant or a west coast variant by itself, look for a solid mix from different pro styles from either coach, should either one get's the job.

Bosco
01-12-2011, 11:18 PM
And Tebow hasn't dispelled anything imo.

He disproved the notion that he can't run the ball at the NFL level when he ripped off a 40 yard touchdown run right up Oakland's gut and ran for almost 100 yards against the league's 3rd ranked rush defense.

We don't need to rely on a bunch of bullshit, WCO misdirection gimmicks to allow Tebow to succeed. Throw him in a spread offense and let him run through the defenses that commit to covering our abundance of receiving talent. When they commit to stopping the run, let Tebow use that beautiful deep ball he has to carve them up. Greg Knapp tried the former approach with Michael Vick when he was with the Falcons and failed miserably. Marty Morhnweig (sp?) did the later and turned Vick into an MVP candidate.

Pretty simple shit. No need to get cute and complicate it.

Bosco
01-12-2011, 11:25 PM
Let's not forget that Dennison was the offensive coordinator at a time when Shanahan and Bates began to utilize the spread offense in with the west coast offense.

Dennison was nothing more than a glorified offensive line coach here in Denver. Granted he's a damn good OL coach, but Shanahan and (insert one of Kubiak, Dinger or Bates) ran those offenses. Even in Houston, Dennison is basically Kubiak's wingman much like McCoy was to McDaniels.

Bottom line, I think Dennison has a bright future but he hasn't taken on nearly enough responsibility with his respective teams to be a legit HC candidate in my eyes.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-12-2011, 11:31 PM
Dennison was nothing more than a glorified offensive line coach here in Denver. Granted he's a damn good OL coach, but Shanahan and (insert one of Kubiak, Dinger or Bates) ran those offenses. Even in Houston, Dennison is basically Kubiak's wingman much like McCoy was to McDaniels.

Bottom line, I think Dennison has a bright future but he hasn't taken on nearly enough responsibility with his respective teams to be a legit HC candidate in my eyes.

One of the few times I agree with you, bud. Except the bright future part. Dennison is an old dog already and if the Broncos don't hurry up and make him their HC, nobody will...

rcsodak
01-12-2011, 11:40 PM
I think Kubiak's offense suits Tebow as well as any offense out there.

quick release and accuracy are necessary....

TT=Fail

jhildebrand
01-12-2011, 11:50 PM
He disproved the notion that he can't run the ball at the NFL level when he ripped off a 40 yard touchdown run right up Oakland's gut and ran for almost 100 yards against the league's 3rd ranked rush defense.

We don't need to rely on a bunch of bullshit, WCO misdirection gimmicks to allow Tebow to succeed. Throw him in a spread offense and let him run through the defenses that commit to covering our abundance of receiving talent. When they commit to stopping the run, let Tebow use that beautiful deep ball he has to carve them up. Greg Knapp tried the former approach with Michael Vick when he was with the Falcons and failed miserably. Marty Morhnweig (sp?) did the later and turned Vick into an MVP candidate.

Pretty simple shit. No need to get cute and complicate it.

I actually agree with you on this Bosco. Taking it further, Don Banks had an article on Si.com today talking about teams drafting QB's. Funny thing is he contradicts himself when it comes to Tebow and Cam Newton. He and Mayock both talk about the most important thing for a QB after arm strength is their football IQ and willingness to work on their game i.e. film study. If that is the case, than I am not worried about Tebow one bit right now. I know that guy will study his tail off and give it everything he has to succeed.

Also, as much as I disliked McDaniels I cannot discount his knowledge of QB's and working with them. I like to think the Broncos will benefit from that with Tebow.

Bosco
01-13-2011, 12:05 AM
I actually agree with you on this Bosco. Taking it further, Don Banks had an article on Si.com today talking about teams drafting QB's. Funny thing is he contradicts himself when it comes to Tebow and Cam Newton. He and Mayock both talk about the most important thing for a QB after arm strength is their football IQ and willingness to work on their game i.e. film study. If that is the case, than I am not worried about Tebow one bit right now. I know that guy will study his tail off and give it everything he has to succeed.

Exactly. Tebow will succeed or die trying.