PDA

View Full Version : Q&A: Elway has clout to attract top coach

TXBRONC
01-12-2011, 09:11 AM
Maybe people should take this into consideration before getting to upset.

Q&A: Elway has clout to attract top coach
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 01/12/2011 01:00:00 AM MST

Q: I am a huge John Elway fan. He is a class guy, he always takes time and signs autographs, and who can forget his legendary status with the Broncos? My concern is that we will not be able to attract a quality coaching candidate because he is compared to Matt Millen and Dan Marino as pros who have been unsuccessful managers. What is your take?

A: Shawn, there are many people in the NFL who believe this is simply a difficult time to be looking for a coach because it is considered by many team executives to be a year with fewer candidates with proven track records who don't have some professional baggage.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17068147

TXBRONC
01-12-2011, 09:13 AM
This is the most important part of the article.

Q&A: Elway has clout to attract top coach
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 01/12/2011 01:00:00 AM MST

It's just the pool of candidates overall isn't what some fans would like to see this year. That said, one of the most criticized coaching hires by any team in recent years was when Atlanta hired an unheralded Mike Smith .

Smith and the Falcons have home-field advantage in the NFC this year. It's about doing the homework, about making sound football decisions, not always about the pizzazz.

Jeff Legwold: 303-954-2359 or jlegwold@denverpost.com

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17068147

Dirk
01-12-2011, 09:34 AM
As Forest would say...."Head Coaches are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get". :lol:

TXBRONC
01-12-2011, 09:39 AM
As Forest would say...."Head Coaches are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get". :lol:

:lol:

But seriously I just want Denver to find a coach who can build a championship caliber team.

Dzone
01-12-2011, 09:39 AM
Weird how Williams, MulaRkey, Harbaugh have not shown any interest in being a coach in denver...

TXBRONC
01-12-2011, 09:45 AM
Weird how Williams, MulaRkey, Harbaugh have not shown any interest in being a coach in denver...

That's not exactly true. Williams and Mularkey had interest but back out for whatever reason and as you well know it was rumored that if Harbaugh made the jump to the NFL it was going to be with 49ers. Also it's not Williams and Mularkey don't have baggage to tote around.

Dirk
01-12-2011, 09:46 AM

I think not having final say in personel is a show stopper for a lot of coaches. They like their own guys and not guys that are hand picked for them.

Plus I think that Elway scares a lot of coaches. He is an unknown at this point.

Another point is the whole Tebow scenario. If the "experts" wouldn't have been so hard on Tebow it may be different. A lot of times, some people start believing things if they hear it enough instead of seeing for themselves.

TXBRONC
01-12-2011, 09:49 AM
I think not having final say in personel is a show stopper for a lot of coaches. They like their own guys and not guys that are hand picked for them.

Plus I think that Elway scares a lot of coaches. He is an unknown at this point.

Another point is the whole Tebow scenario. If the "experts" wouldn't have been so hard on Tebow it may be different. A lot of times, some people start believing things if they hear it enough instead of seeing for themselves.

Even with someone over the head coach he's still going pretty much going to get the players he wants.