PDA

View Full Version : Balls Of Titanium

WARHORSE
09-15-2008, 02:31 AM
HIGH DRAMA IN DENVER (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/09/14/high-drama-in-denver/)

Posted by Mike Florio on September 14, 2008, 8:09 p.m.
Notwithstanding the fact that the San Diego Chargers (http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/#) got screwed on a late error by referee Ed Hochuli regarding a fumble by quarterback Jay Cutler (more on that in the SportingNews.com Ten Pack), the Denver Broncos and coach Mike Shanahan made one of the all-time balls-of-titanium calls by choosing to go for two after a touchdown with 24 seconds left cut San Diego’s lead to one, 38-37.
Conventional wisdom is to kick the extra point and play for overtime. But Shanahan didn’t want to risk losing the toss and then the game, given the spark the Chargers’ offense showed in the second half.
So Shanahan signaled to go for two, using his best Bobby DeNiro in Meet The Parents “I’ve got me eye on you, Fokker” gesture.
And the Broncos converted.
Rookie Eddie Royal, who’d caught the touchdown pass on fourth down moments before, also reeled in the two-pointer.
It was one of the most stunning finishes we can ever remember, and we’ve got to give Shanahan credit for taking a chance.
That said, the Chargers really did get screwed. But that doesn’t change our impression of the gutsy decision by Shanahan, who made his bravest move since the day earlier this year when he opted to wash the shoe polish out of his hair. (Did you really think we could make it through an entire post without taking a dig at him?)

Man.............FLOREO is becoming a regular fan............methinks we may see a member appear here soon with the name of BRONC-O-REO.

Lord this win feels good............:coffee:SLURPEEEEEEE..........

Was the call by Shanny an egotistical one???

Not in my view.............whaddya think?

Dublin Bolt
09-15-2008, 03:50 AM
Shanahan's call was a combination of;

(1) I don't think he ever wanted to beat a team so bad, ever.
(2) He knew if the Chargers won the toss in OT the Broncos lose and
(3) The Chargers defense sucks so bad there is better than a 50:50 chance you convert the 2 pointer. The odds were better than the coin toss.

Balls, no, wanting something so bad, Yes.

Congrats and see u in December.

Dreadnought
09-15-2008, 05:38 AM

(3) The Chargers defense sucks so bad there is better than a 50:50 chance you convert the 2 pointer. The odds were better than the coin toss.

Agreed completely. Given the way our offense and the Bolts defense played today it was a better than 50/50 shot. Thats better than a coin toss, so in my view it was a smart calculated risk, not a wild gamble. If the Bolts had won the coin toss we'd never have seen the ball again - see last years GB game.

Retired_Member_001
09-15-2008, 06:16 AM

I completely agree, especially with the 1st one. Shanahan knew he had a chance to win, and that's all he would have asked for. If you give him a chance to beat the Chargers, he will take it. He wasn't going to pass up the opportunity to beat the Chargers.