PDA

View Full Version : John Elway Tweets Broncos Back Into Fan Hearts With Array of Web Strategies

Denver Native (Carol)
01-11-2011, 11:49 PM
The Denver Broncos are making use of their Internet website and the social media like never before in an attempt to re-connect with their disaffected fan base through greater transparency.

The openness is evident in the team's search for a coach to replace the fired Josh McDaniels.

Regular updates are posted on the team's website at denverbroncos.com, including video clips from the team's interview sessions with candidates. Newly appointed vice president of football operations John Elway chimes in with his take on Broncos football matters on Twitter. The team's website even has a specific link to click on for the latest on the coaching search.

In one of his tweets Tuesday, prior to scheduled interviews with Houston offensive coordinator Rick Dennison and Jacksonville offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter to discuss the team's coaching vacancy, Elway even invited public input into the process.

"We've got our questions," Elway tweeted, "but what's the one thing you'd ask?"

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2011/01/11/john-elway-tweets-broncos-back-into-fans-hearts-with-array-of-in/

AND

New Broncos organization reaching out in unique ways

When the Denver Broncos recently announced the hire of former all-time quarterback John Elway as their new executive vice president of football operations, it marked an entirely new way of doing things than we had seen under the ineffectively secretive Josh McDaniels or in the history of the NFL.

All of a sudden, Elway popped up on Twitter, announcing everything from the names of new potential head coach candidates to his thoughts on the future of quarterback Tim Tebow(notes). It's been refreshing for fans, and a look in the eye to those NFL organizations who believe that CIA-level confidentiality must accompany every single move they make -- down to a change in the brand of bathroom tissue in the coach's office lavatory.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=yhoo-ept_sports_nfl_experts-306025

dogfish
01-12-2011, 12:08 AM
less tweets, more defense!

rabble rabble rabble!!

:protest:

:lol:

EMB6903
01-12-2011, 12:10 AM
the more tweets the better.

Nothing wrong with an organization that is trying to inform their fans before the media does.

I wasnt big on the Elway hire and am still a little worried but this is one thing Im liking so far.

dogfish
01-12-2011, 12:22 AM
in all honesty, the whole "fan outreach" thing IS very cool, as far as it goes. . . but i sincerely hope they remember that it's not a substitute for winning. . . of course, it goes without saying that elway at least hasn't had the chance to be judged on wins and losses that occured on his watch-- i get that, and do appreciate his efforts to generate some enthusiasm in other ways that are available to him. . .

what i would appreciate immeasureably more, though, would be getting a coach in place, and putting together a top notch staff. . .

just sayin', john. . . ;)

dogfish
01-12-2011, 12:23 AM
the more tweets the better.

i was at least halfway joking, just FTR. . .

:D

underrated29
01-12-2011, 12:45 AM
Dog- I'm Back on suicide watch again buddy.:marchmellow:

Elroy twittered that tomorrow we are meeting with john foxworthyofnotbeingourheadcoach

Talk me out of it man

dogfish
01-12-2011, 12:50 AM
Dog- I'm Back on suicide watch again buddy.:marchmellow:

Elroy twittered that tomorrow we are meeting with john foxworthyofnotbeingourheadcoach

Talk me out of it man

sorry esse, but i actually like fox way better than most of the bums we're looking at, so looks like it's either you or me out there. . . :laugh:

underrated29
01-12-2011, 01:20 AM
sorry esse, but i actually like fox way better than most of the bums we're looking at, so looks like it's either you or me out there. . . :laugh:

Pray for me then.

dogfish
01-12-2011, 01:38 AM
Pray for me then.

consider it done. . . :D

MacGruder
01-12-2011, 03:29 AM
I think it's the wrong approach to try to appease fans in this way. What I think they need to do.. and what McD didn't do.. was to make his case WHY they do the things they do.

Educate the fans about the game and your rationale. I mean go REALLY in detail and educate fans about how the game works to explain it all. If fans are going to be so vocal and demanding about the moves the team makes then they need to be educated.

Lancane
01-12-2011, 05:15 AM
I think it's the wrong approach to try to appease fans in this way. What I think they need to do.. and what McD didn't do.. was to make his case WHY they do the things they do.

Educate the fans about the game and your rationale. I mean go REALLY in detail and educate fans about how the game works to explain it all. If fans are going to be so vocal and demanding about the moves the team makes then they need to be educated.

Yes, in a country that represents freedom but has a mass illiteracy rate, over abundant educational system problems and one that's so bullheaded that it refuses to convert to the metric system.

Please explain the game of football to us, even though it's a game we as Americans created and one out of every three Americans follows or has played in their lifetime...we need to be edjumacated!

HORSEPOWER 56
01-12-2011, 08:51 AM

I think the answer would be simply, "we felt he was the most qualified for the job and think he'll be our best coach in the future of all the candidates interviewed".

Seriously, what would your employer have said about you after your job interview? "um, he met the qualifications we were looking for so we hired him"?

Honestly, I think the "why" is just to win football games. They are doing what they can because they think it is the best way to bring the Broncos back to greatness. I doubt any of them would say, true or not, that the "why" behind hiring a new HC was because he's a cool guy who may or may not give us the best chance to win but he's an old friend so we hired him...

Sure, sometimes the "why" or the reasoning behind something like a player move like "why did we pull the offer off the table for Champ?" might be nice to know, but as far as hiring a coach the answer is simply, I think "he gives us the best chance to win", just like why you go with one QB over another is the only reasonable answer.

Dzone
01-12-2011, 09:42 AM
what kind of phone is Elway tweeting from?

T.K.O.
01-12-2011, 10:54 AM
i think the BIG question here is......what brand of T.P. did they switch to/from ?:confused::shocked:
the official butt-wipe of the broncos is...........?

Superchop 7
01-12-2011, 11:31 AM
Whats "not" to like ?

Smart move on Broncos part.

The Glue Factory
01-12-2011, 12:02 PM
Yes, in a country that represents freedom but has a mass illiteracy rate, over abundant educational system problems and one that's so bullheaded that it refuses to convert to the metric system.

Please explain the game of football to us, even though it's a game we as Americans created and one out of every three Americans follows or has played in their lifetime...we need to be edjumacated!

I didn't take the post to mean that we need education about the game of football as much as education in the business side of football. You know, the stuff behind closed doors. Now I don't think everything done behind closed doors needs to be disclosed but the Broncos have always been more open than what happened with McD.

dogfish
01-12-2011, 12:19 PM
what kind of phone is Elway tweeting from?

the new samsung tweetphone4. . .