PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Coordinator Candidates - Who is out there?

UnderArmour
01-11-2011, 08:02 PM
In the event the Broncos decide not to retain Martindale, who would be a possible defensive coordinator candidate? I notice in every thread when Dennison pops up someone asks who his D coordinator will be and nobody has a clue who he'd look to so I figured I'd put together a possible list. It doesn't seem like he has connections to any of these people though.

3-4 Candidates
Eric Mangini, Former Patriots D Coordinator, Former Jets HC, Former Browns HC
Keith Butler, Assistant HC - LBs Pittsburgh(Apparently he can't be interviewed)
John Mitchell, Assistant HC - DLine Pittsburgh
Dean Pees, Former Patriots DC and LB coach, Current Ravens LB coach
Kirby Smart, Alabama Defensive Coordinator
Vic Fangio, Stanford Defensive Coordinator, Former Ravens LB Coach (Appears headed to San Fran)
Greg Manusky, 49ers Defensive Coordinator
Todd Bowles, Assistant Head Coach/DB Miami
Mike Singletary, Former 49ers HC, Former Ravens/49ers LB Coach
Rob Ryan, Browns D Coordinator(Word is Browns are currently looking for a DC, meaning he should be free)

Outside of those, I really don't know. If we're switching back to a 4-3, I'd have to go look at the top 4-3 candidates out there. Maybe Bob Slowik or Frank Bush? :laugh:

silkamilkamonico
01-11-2011, 08:05 PM
I believe we need stability among our defense coaching positions. I do not want some gu yto come in, do a great job, and then become a HC in the next year or two. How great would it be in Denver to get stability among the defense with scheme and coaches ala Baltimore/Pittsburgh/New England, where they just continue to pump out great DC's, lose them to HC'ing positions, and then promote from within.

dogfish
01-11-2011, 08:27 PM
i really think this is the sixty-four million dollar question-- who can get us a legit DC? it's clearly what this team needs, and it's also one of the reasons i hate the thought of hiring dennison. . .

of the clearly available candidates, i like mangina the best-- he's a proven DC who learned under the absolute best, and he put the foundation of the jets current nasty defense in place. . . he also brings head coaching experience, and could potentially prop up a green HC-- though i'm not sure he'll want to work under one. . . i don't see him as a likely candidate here unless we hire john fox. . .

manusky would be a solid pickup. . . he's done a good job in san fran, and learned under nolan. . . he's probably the best candidate that we're likely to get, IMO. . . i'd be excited to get butler, but again, i don't see him coming here to work under an unproven coach-- he's in a great situation as is, he can afford to pick and choose his spots. . . i believe mitchell is pretty much DC-in-waiting behind lebeau, so i'm sure he's not going anywhere. . . bowles is the other guy i'd be interested in-- not sure of his exact resume off the top of my head, but parcells tends to surround himself with brilliant assistants, which bodes well for bowles. . . and he's also worked with nolan. . .

of course, a big part of my concern with the pace of the coaching search is that most teams in need are already assembling their staffs-- if we drag this out until after the super bowl, the pickings are going to be VERY slim. . . an old league vet like fox might have some contacts that he can go to, but most first-time HCs will be left with little option but promoting lightly-regarded assistants. . .

i heard on ESPiN earlier that rivera will start the work of assembling his staff today. . . it would be nice to have somebody in place making calls for us as well. . . i'm going to cringe every time i see somebody take another qualified assistant off the market. . .

how do you guys feel about keeping most of our current coaching staff intact? if we hire dennison, i have a feeling it's pretty likely. . . you guys down for wink as DC?

HORSEPOWER 56
01-11-2011, 10:26 PM
What I'm absolutely TERRIFIED of is that we bring in a "good ol' boy" like Dennison and just convince him to keep Wink on because it would be cheaper, then hold his feet to the fire when the defense still sucks ass.

I want Wink gone... like yesterday.

I Eat Staples
01-11-2011, 10:42 PM
What I'm absolutely TERRIFIED of is that we bring in a "good ol' boy" like Dennison and just convince him to keep Wink on because it would be cheaper, then hold his feet to the fire when the defense still sucks ass.

I want Wink gone... like yesterday.

Can't agree more. I care about our next DC as much as our next HC.

camdisco24
01-11-2011, 10:47 PM
I'd be surprised if Wink kept his job, really surprised. Even if Dennison is hired, I think the D coaching staff will be revamped. Just my opinion....

Buff
01-11-2011, 10:52 PM
Is Rob Ryan available since Mangini got fired? I guess it depends on whether the new coach retains him. I'd love to get Ryan.

WARHORSE
01-11-2011, 10:53 PM
I wouldnt mind at all if Wink stayed.

I think we need continuity more than anything right now.

Scheming can only get you so far.

You need players.

We need to get some defensive linemen that can cause problems.

If we stay in the 3-4, we may very well end up drafting Peterson since theres alot of defensive line in this draft.

A 3-4 needs pluggers more than anything, but there are a number of players that can do more than tie up blockers in the draft.

I want Fairley though.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-11-2011, 10:54 PM
I'd be surprised if Wink kept his job, really surprised. Even if Dennison is hired, I think the D coaching staff will be revamped. Just my opinion....

IMO, it absolutely HAS TO BE. 32nd in the league is 32nd in the league... it doesn't get any worse. Nolan was top 10 with worse players.

BOB ******* SLOWICK was BETTER in '08 with Marlon McRee, Marquand Manuel, Jamie Winborn, Niko Koutivides, and Nate Webster!!!

No DC worth a shit would EVER be 32nd in the league. If you gave Rex Ryan a high school defense to coach, he still wouldn't be 32nd in the league. That's how bad Martindale is.

I know Wink is friends with Rex and Rob, but other than being fat, ugly, and a loudmouth, that's where the comparisons end.

WINK SUCKS!!!!

Agent of Orange
01-11-2011, 10:58 PM
John Fox

DenBronx
01-11-2011, 10:58 PM
Mangenious would be ok as a DC. We could do much worse and they guy does put up some solid defenses.

Singletary is still one of my top choices. Rob Ryan is up there too.

But IF Fox is hired as HC then what will he want to run? Mangini ran a 3-4 in NY and their defense today is a top 10 defense. We all know that Fox is a 4-3 guy. So how would they work together? Hybrid? Run both schemes?

Any of those 3 would help us out alot!

Agent of Orange
01-11-2011, 10:59 PM
Mangenious would be ok as a DC. We could do much worse and they guy does put up some solid defenses.

Singletary is still one of my top choices.

But IF Fox is hired as HC then what will he want to run? Mangini ran a 3-4 in NY and their defense today is a top 10 defense. We all know that Fox is a 4-3 guy. So how would they work together? Hybrid? Run both schemes?

Why couldnt Fox be hired as the DC?

DenBronx
01-11-2011, 11:04 PM
Why couldnt Fox be hired as the DC?

Maybe if Dennison is hired as HC then that would be a good choice.

But would Fox really want to come into a situation where we have rookie VP's, QB questions and sit under a rookie HC? If he can learn his place and just be a DC then yeah it would be good for the Broncos.

dogfish
01-11-2011, 11:05 PM
Is Rob Ryan available since Mangini got fired? I guess it depends on whether the new coach retains him. I'd love to get Ryan.

no doubt. . . would he want to come clean up this mess, though? the guy desperately wants a chance to be a head coach, and putting a couple of bottom-ten units on his resume would be like a stone anchor. . . of course, the reverse does hold true-- fix this mess, and people will think he's buddy ryan. . .

i don't see him taking the chance. . . our personnel is just SOOO bad, i don't see any top candidates wanting to risk their rep on the chance that john elway knows how to draft defensive personnel. . .

i'm obviously just guessing here, but i suspect rob will take an assistant head coach position with the jets if he gets fired and doesn't get any plum offers. . .

i read recently that dallas is going to hire a new DC, so i expect them to take one of the top 3-4 coordinator prospects off the market soon, whether they hire someone like mangini, or go after an up-and-comer like keith butler. . . just something to keep an eye on-- rob is a guy i can see them going after if he's available. . .

Agent of Orange
01-11-2011, 11:07 PM

But would Fox really want to come into a situation where we have rookie VP's, QB questions and sit under a rookie HC? If he can learn his place and just be a DC then yeah it would be good for the Broncos.

Maybe with the money they save on Dennison, they can sweeten the deal for him a little?

HORSEPOWER 56
01-11-2011, 11:08 PM
no doubt. . . would he want to come clean up this mess, though? the guy desperately wants a chance to be a head coach, and putting a couple of bottom-ten units on his resume would be like a stone anchor. . . of course, the reverse does hold true-- fix this mess, and people will think he's buddy ryan. . .

i don't see him taking the chance. . . our personnel is just SOOO bad, i don't see any top candidates wanting to risk their rep on the chance that john elway knows how to draft defensive personnel. . .

i'm obviously just guessing here, but i suspect rob will take an assistant head coach position with the jets if he gets fired and doesn't get any plum offers. . .

i read recently that dallas is going to hire a new DC, so i expect them to take one of the top 3-4 coordinator prospects off the market soon, whether they hire someone like mangini, or go after an up-and-comer like keith butler. . . just something to keep an eye on-- rob is a guy i can see them going after if he's available. . .

Well, he did make the Raiders' defense respectable and then turned around and did it again with the Browns' this year. I kinda hoped we'd bring him in for a HC interview, but I'd take him as the DC, too.

dogfish
01-11-2011, 11:13 PM
John Fox

i thought about adding his name, but i also wonder if he'd come here as less than the HC after we've scheduled an interview with him for the position. . .

"So, John-- we don't really like you enough to give you the big job, but how'd you like to come out and do all the dirty work for significantly less pay and with significantly less power and input?"

i don't see it going that well with a coach who isn't mike martz, and will have other opportunities. . . there are already rumors going around that he'll take the giants DC job if fewell gets hired and he doesn't. . . if that doesn't play out, i'm sure fox knows enough people around the league to find a soft landing somewhere. . .

dogfish
01-11-2011, 11:14 PM

yep, pretty much my take also. . .

Agent of Orange
01-11-2011, 11:15 PM
i thought about adding his name, but i also wonder if he'd come here as less than the HC after we've scheduled an interview with him for the position. . .

"So, John-- we don't really like you enough to give you the big job, but how'd you like to come out and do all the dirty work for significantly less pay and with significantly less power and input?"

i don't see it going that well with a coach who isn't mike martz, and will have other opportunities. . . there are already rumors going around that he'll take the giants DC job if fewell gets hired and he doesn't. . . if that doesn't play out, i'm sure fox knows enough people around the league to find a soft landing somewhere. . .

Well it kind of seems you have too many imaginary conversations in your head. Dont take that the wrong way. I think Denver is the last coach opening, no? Also, his past few years in Carolina were kind of rough. He might be looking for an inviting place where he's wanted and can help.

Superchop 7
01-11-2011, 11:24 PM
They have to move quick on a DC.......and open up the wallet.

dogfish
01-11-2011, 11:30 PM
Well it kind of seems you have too many imaginary conversations in your head. Dont take that the wrong way. I think Denver is the last coach opening, no? Also, his past few years in Carolina were kind of rough. He might be looking for an inviting place where he's wanted and can help.

entirely possible. . . denver is not the last HC opening, as at least cleveland off the top of my head is still looking for a coach. . .

i can't in any way say for sure that we aren't/won't be an attractive destination for assistant coaches. . . i'm not a fortune teller, or even a league insider. . . i do kinda feel like i can see the writing on the wall, though. . . when guys like gregg williams and mike mularkey won't even interview with us for the ****in' head coach position, i have a tough time believing that any former head coaches will be eager to come here as coordinators. . . JMO, obviously. . .

dogfish
01-11-2011, 11:31 PM

don't we need to get a head coach first?

JDL
01-12-2011, 01:46 AM
i really think this is the sixty-four million dollar question-- who can get us a legit DC? it's clearly what this team needs, and it's also one of the reasons i hate the thought of hiring dennison. . .

of the clearly available candidates, i like mangina the best-- he's a proven DC who learned under the absolute best, and he put the foundation of the jets current nasty defense in place. . . he also brings head coaching experience, and could potentially prop up a green HC-- though i'm not sure he'll want to work under one. . . i don't see him as a likely candidate here unless we hire john fox. . .

manusky would be a solid pickup. . . he's done a good job in san fran, and learned under nolan. . . he's probably the best candidate that we're likely to get, IMO. . . i'd be excited to get butler, but again, i don't see him coming here to work under an unproven coach-- he's in a great situation as is, he can afford to pick and choose his spots. . . i believe mitchell is pretty much DC-in-waiting behind lebeau, so i'm sure he's not going anywhere. . . bowles is the other guy i'd be interested in-- not sure of his exact resume off the top of my head, but parcells tends to surround himself with brilliant assistants, which bodes well for bowles. . . and he's also worked with nolan. . .

of course, a big part of my concern with the pace of the coaching search is that most teams in need are already assembling their staffs-- if we drag this out until after the super bowl, the pickings are going to be VERY slim. . . an old league vet like fox might have some contacts that he can go to, but most first-time HCs will be left with little option but promoting lightly-regarded assistants. . .

i heard on ESPiN earlier that rivera will start the work of assembling his staff today. . . it would be nice to have somebody in place making calls for us as well. . . i'm going to cringe every time i see somebody take another qualified assistant off the market. . .

how do you guys feel about keeping most of our current coaching staff intact? if we hire dennison, i have a feeling it's pretty likely. . . you guys down for wink as DC?

We're not getting an a list D coordinator with a c list head coach like Dennison... we will get someone like Denver has had... someone in the line of Frank Bush who was just fired from Houston. I mean if we aren't going to spend money on an A list candidate or can't attract one I don't know why fans have all these crazy ass ideas that we just hire Dennison and poof magically this great D coordinator is going to jump ship to come to such an uncertain situation and possibly screw up any shot at a head coaching gig. Seriously? :confused::confused:

JDL
01-12-2011, 01:47 AM

So what... they are going to pay more for their DC than their HC?? Cuz if it is Dennsion.. he isn't going to be paid much more than an A list DC would get. So please stop with all that before anyone starts.

dogfish
01-12-2011, 01:55 AM
The Cardinals and coach Ken Whisenhunt spent Tuesday doing their first interview for the defensive coordinator spot, talking to Greg Manusky — who was the DC for the 49ers the past four seasons. The 49ers were ranked 13th overall as a defense and 16th in scoring defense this past season.

http://blog.azcardinals.com/2011/01/11/manusky-gets-an-interview/

With Ron Rivera in Carolina, the Chargers need a new leader for their “No. 1 ranked” defense that was completely dominated by the Raiders and Bengals in December.

The team announced they were likely to interview two in house candidates: secondary coach Steve Wilks and linebackers coach John Pagano. 49ers defensive coordinator Greg Manusky has been mentioned as another possible candidate. (Manusky interviewed with the Cardinals on Tuesday.)

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=1186694

dogfish
01-12-2011, 02:52 AM

and, here ya go. . .

With the Panthers head coaching job going to Ron Rivera, Browns defensive coordinator Rob Ryan is waiting to find out where his next gig will be.

Tony Grossi of the Cleveland Plain-Dealer reports the Browns may be interested in keeping him, depending on who gets the head coaching job.

Ryan and other Browns staff members remain under contract and in limbo. (Better to be in limbo than playing limbo, which Rob could struggle at.) Grossi writes that the organization may want to bring back Ryan and special teams coordinator Brad Seely.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/11/rob-ryan-stuck-in-limbo/

if we got off our collective asses and hired a coach, we just might have a chance to steal him with an offer of assistant head coach/defense. . . if we continue to mosey along, i'm guessing whoever they hire will most likely decide to retain him-- he's a good DC, i don't see anyone better on the market. . .

dogfish
01-12-2011, 02:56 AM
now here's a guy that isn't getting any offers. . . i wonder if he's widely viewed as an abrasive personality who isn't easy to work with?

Eric Mangini To Do Some Work For ESPN
by John Bena • Jan 11, 2011 12:36 PM CST

Former Cleveland Browns head coach Eric Mangini wasn't unemployed long, according to PFT. He'll be heading up to Bristol, CT to do some work with ESPN in prep for this Sunday's New York Jets at New England Patriots playoff game. Mangini, of course, was an assistant for the Patriots before becoming the head coach in New York. That frosty relationship culminated in Spy Gate, which many people believe had Mangini telling the NFL about the Patriots videotaping policies.

Since Mangini's press conferences were always so riveting I am interested to see just how he'll do as a analyst. I'd imagine he may have to fall back on that for awhile since coaching hasn't gone very well for him - or the teams he has coached.

http://cleveland.sbnation.com/cleveland-browns/2011/1/11/1928864/nfl-playoffs-jets-patriots-eric-mangini-espn-browns

BigSarge87
01-12-2011, 09:50 AM
I don't know why people keep saying a great D Coordinator wouldn't want to come to Denver and work for Dennison.

With the 2nd pick and two 2nd's likely going to defense (and possibly our early 3rd), Doom and Bailey (we still have him until further notice) and with Dennison likely to give the DC the freedom to do whatever he wants on defense, I would think anyone with a little self confidence and motivation would love to come here and take credit for turning the defense around from 32nd in the league. There's no where to go but up. Whoever it is will get all the credit and easily pad his resume for a future promotion. I think it's a great opportunity for a good DC who has HC aspirations. If he comes in and does a good job, and Dennison fails, he'll likely slide right into the HC job at Denver if he doesn't pick up a position elsewhere.

slim
01-12-2011, 10:22 AM

Are you down for McCoy as OC? Because that is what will happen if Fox is hired. In fact it is almost guaranteed. I hope you enjoy screen passes and QB draws. I have a feeling that is all we are going to be seeing.

I doubt wink keeps his job regardless of who the new HC is, so I am not too worried about that.

dogfish
01-12-2011, 12:35 PM
Are you down for McCoy as OC? Because that is what will happen if Fox is hired. In fact it is almost guaranteed. I hope you enjoy screen passes and QB draws. I have a feeling that is all we are going to be seeing.

I doubt wink keeps his job regardless of who the new HC is, so I am not too worried about that.

i hope whoever the OC is loves the bubble screen, just cuz it's so much fun hearing clay cry about it. . .

:heh:

Ravage!!!
01-12-2011, 12:48 PM
I think its absurd to think the coaches aren't going to come to Denver because of Dennison :lol: As if the poster's opinions on Dennison is the one shared across the NFL by everyone else :lol:

There is no reason.. NONE... to believe that if Dennison is hire (when he is hired) that he won't be able to hire a quality staff.

dogfish
01-12-2011, 12:54 PM
I think its absurd to think the coaches aren't going to come to Denver because of Dennison :lol: As if the poster's opinions on Dennison is the one shared across the NFL by everyone else :lol:

There is no reason.. NONE... to believe that if Dennison is hire (when he is hired) that he won't be able to hire a quality staff.

really? we've been publicly turned down or passed over for an interview by three different coaches-- for the top job in the organization-- but it's "absurd" to think top coordinators won't want to come here? or even be available by the time we actually have a head coach in place?

yea, we'll bump this when we get the staff in place and see how rockstar it is. . .

seriously, if we end up with guys like martindale and studesville/mccoy in place, are you guys gonna pass that off as a "really good staff?"

Lancane
01-12-2011, 02:11 PM
Defensive Coordinator Candidates:

George Catavolos
Kacy Rodgers
Joe Cullen
John Teerlinck
Mike Waufle
Don Johnson
Lou Spanos
Peter Giunta
Dick Jauron
Steve Jackson
Greg Manusky

Ravage!!!
01-12-2011, 03:00 PM
really? we've been publicly turned down or passed over for an interview by three different coaches-- for the top job in the organization-- but it's "absurd" to think top coordinators won't want to come here? or even be available by the time we actually have a head coach in place?

yea, we'll bump this when we get the staff in place and see how rockstar it is. . .

seriously, if we end up with guys like martindale and studesville/mccoy in place, are you guys gonna pass that off as a "really good staff?"

Mularky is still coaching in the playoffs, and Williams isn't exactly a 'rockstar' to begin with. Who's the other one? Harbaugh? He wasn't going anywhere other than the Niners, even a team like Miami that was offering a TON more money.

There is absolutely NO reason, none, to truly believe that coordinators wont' come to Denver because Dennison (or any other) is the HC. You are taking some simple matters and blowing it completely out of proportion.

Chances are, no matter what the staff is going to be, its not going to be "rock star" enough for most, anyway. Seems, for some reason that the only people capable of doing the job are those labeled "rock stars" by the posters here.

Its been a WHOPPING 10 days since the end of the NFL regular season, and some of you are acting as if the franchise is SOOOOOooo far behind because we haven't hired a guy to run this team. THAT is absurd. The idea that coaches won't coach with/for Dennison, is ABSURD! Yes.. its absurd.

dogfish
01-12-2011, 03:21 PM
Its been a WHOPPING 10 days since the end of the NFL regular season, and some of you are acting as if the franchise is SOOOOOooo far behind because we haven't hired a guy to run this team. THAT is absurd. The idea that coaches won't coach with/for Dennison, is ABSURD! Yes.. its absurd.

well, certainly somebody will coach with him. . . that doesn't mean they'll be any good-- that very much remains to be seen. . .

of course, whoever gets hired will be billed as good around here, regardless of who it is. . . it will just be assumed that they're good, and shouldn't be questioned until irrevocably and indisputably proven otherwise. . .

Juriga72
01-12-2011, 08:56 PM
I would just like to point out the following:
Dallas
San Fran
Carolina
San Diego

Are already interviewng DC, while we try to get someone here just to not cancel a interview with us.....

Other than that I would LOVE to get a guy who could point out a football, unlike who we have now.

dogfish
01-13-2011, 10:02 PM

aaaand. . .

Now, with Pat Shurmur hired as the next head coach, Ryan apparently will be out of a job in Cleveland. Tony Grossi of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that Ryan “does not appear to be staying.” He remains under contract, but he has not been in the office.

Ryan runs a 3-4 defense, and vacancies currently exist in San Diego, San Francisco, Dallas, Arizona, and possibly Oakland.

Also, don’t rule out a Ryan reunion in New York. Rex tried to hire Rob after replacing Eric Mangini in New York, but Mangini already had hired Rob to run the Cleveland defense. Though Jets defensive coordinator Mike Pettine presumably is safe, Rex could be interested in trying to bring his brother to town.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/13/rob-ryan-on-the-outs-in-cleveland/

somebody on the mane said that NFLN reported that we have some interest in rob. . . make it happen, guys!

greg manusky is now off the market-- looks like the sparklers get another solid DC. . .

The most popular coordinator name still on the coaching market is about to be snapped up.

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports that Greg Manusky is set to be named Chargers defensive coordinator, although he cautions the deal isn’t done quite yet.

Manusky did a solid job in San Francisco over the last four years and is well regarded in league circles. He also interviewed in Dallas, Arizona, and Carolina. (His Panthers interview was for the head coaching job.) Manusky runs a 3-4 defense, which has been in place in San Diego since Wade Phillips was in town.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/13/report-chargers-set-to-name-greg-manusky-defensive-coordinator/

Buff
01-14-2011, 01:00 AM
Ryan would be an awesome get. Not sure what role Sunseri would have.

Sal Sunseri to the Denver Broncos?
by outsidethesidelines on Jan 13, 2011 5:20 PM CST

Earlier today the Denver Broncos announced John Fox as their new head coach, and it didn't take long for the Sal Sunseri rumors to get started in relation to that hire. Per the Tuscaloosa News:
University of Alabama assistant head coach Sal Sunseri has been in contact with newly-hired Denver Broncos coach John Fox about joining the staff of the National Football League team, the Tuscaloosa News has learned. Fox, who was announced as new head coach of the Broncos today, was Sunseri's boss at the Carolina Panthers. Fox was head coach at Carolina from 2002-2010, and Sunseri was on his staff there from 2002 through the 2008 season before coming to Alabama. A source familiar with the situation said the two have been in contact about Sunseri taking a position on the defensive coaching staff.
I was thinking this one may come to pass when it became apparent that John Fox was going to get another head coaching job next season in the NFL after his contract expired with the Carolina Panthers. Given all of the years that Sunseri spent with Fox, it was probably only natural that his name was going to be mentioned at some point.
Whether or not Sunseri makes the jump is another story. His son, Vinnie Sunseri, has already enrolled at 'Bama, and I imagine Sal won't leave Tuscaloosa without a very serious consideration of the move. Denver needs a complete defensive rebuild, and if Sunseri is only being offered the same coaching job he had in Carolina -- defensive line coach -- he may choose to remain at the college level. It's hard to say anything definitive right now, but with National Signing Day less than three weeks away, I imagine we'll hear something official on this move in the near future.

http://www.rollbamaroll.com/2011/1/13/1933717/sal-sunseri-to-the-denver-broncos

Magnificent Seven
01-14-2011, 02:26 AM
I am against Rob Ryan. He is ex Raider and Raiders know his system.

dogfish
01-14-2011, 02:56 AM
Ryan would be an awesome get. Not sure what role Sunseri would have.

interesting, veeeery interesting. . .

bama runs one hell of a program, and while saban did get his ass kicked at the pro level, promoting his AHC to a lower level position is a different story. . .

and more to the point, it would be pretty sweet to have one of their top guys on staff when all those sick freaks they've been producing start hitting free agency. . . like terrence cody and mcclain, just for example-- could be good guys to know if we stick with the 3-4, and bringing a coach from alabama just might be an indication that we're considering it. . . having an inside pipeline to get the straight dirt on one of the nation's current elite football factories isn't an inconsiderable advantage come draft day, either. . .

let's say fox talked to elway (who mentioned that they were "interested" in possibly staying with the 3-4 before the hire), and also took a look at our personnel-- particularly with the possiblity in mind that we may have to go straight to the draft with no free agency if a CBA doesn't get done. . .

with our personnel at this moment built more for the 30 front, it's easiest to just stay with it and draft accordingly, instead of drafting for the 4-3 and having to hope we can get the rest of the pieces we need to make the transition in free agency. . .

if that line of thinking is in fox and the FO's mind, maybe he's looking at bringing in an old friend who has recent experience in a championship program that runs a pro-style defense to help him (fox) build the D. . . seems plausible. . . and it would allow us to do the most logical thing, IMO-- try to trade down 3-5 spots and grab the best pure 34 DL in the draft. . . a guy from. . . yea, alabama. . .

:defense:

i like it!

no idea if that's what they're actually thinking, but a guy can dream. . . i don't know if they'd bring ryan in or not in that scenario, but they certainly could. . . either make sunseri the DC and ryan the assistant HC/defense, or ryan the DC and sunseri assistant HC/D-line, or whatever combination of titles you'd need to make it work. . . and with the probable understanding that ryan is the primary gameday playcaller, and sunseri is the eventual successor if ryan can get a HC job at some point. . .

something like that could work. . . realistically, it would probably do a LOT more for rob's chances to come here and get us back to even respectable than to go stand in his brother's shadow in new york-- unless they win a super bowl, of course. . . still might be the more tempting option for him, i can see him going either way. . .

in any case, i do prefer any option that keeps us with the 3-4 to bringing in jim mora's very average and fairly blah (at least from what i remember) 43. . .

do eet!

dogfish
01-14-2011, 03:00 AM
I am against Rob Ryan. He is ex Raider and Raiders know his system.

cool. . .

carry on!

BroncoTech
01-14-2011, 04:14 AM
HC Fox
OC McCoy
DC Mora

dogfish
08-02-2011, 02:33 AM

no doubt. . . would he want to come clean up this mess, though?

hey buff, you remember having these rob ryan conversations?

still wish we'd gotten him. . .

And then he said he’s looking forward to playing a certain other team that has received more attention in free agency.

“These are proven players, and that’s what we need,” Ryan said. “I don’t know if we win the all-hype team, I think that might have gone to somebody else, but we’re going to beat their ass when we play them.”

Ryan didn’t mention the Eagles by name, but I think it’s safe to say that’s who he was referencing. And with that, Rob Ryan has given us a brash statement that even his brother Rex will find it tough to top.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

love the brashness when it comes from someone who actually has a chance at backing it up. . . fans can cap on fat rex because he says they'll win the super bowl and they haven't, but IMO his confidence helps drive his teams to overachieve. . . rob clearly has that same swagger, just like their dad. . . it's no surprise that these guys know how to coach-- pops was one of the two best of all time, as far as i'm concerned. . .

we'll see whether dallas can beat philly, but either way i expect their defense to do well under ryan. . .

i hope allen can show us something. . . we passed on a lot of solid, proven DCs to give him a shot-- dude better bring it, or we're going to have even more egg on our face. . . nolan's a master, and he could only hold it together for half a season with the crap "talent" up front we gave him to work with. . . allen isn't getting much more to work with. . . we're going to see a ton of single high safety-- goodman better be able to hold up when we can't roll coverage his way. . . lots of over/under stacked fronts, which means whoever's playing MIKE better be a hardass. . . they used a lot of double A-gap blitzes in NO, and i bet we'll see plenty of those in denver this year as well. . . given our overall size plus complete lack of any real quality at DT, we're pretty obviously going to have to be very aggressive and creative to stop the run. . . sure hope all these safeties we've been drafting pan out-- we're going to need centerfielders who can cover tons of ground from single high looks, and guys that can man up receivers and the game's dynamic TEs behind our blitzes. . .

having an experienced mentor in fox will help some, but allen's not in an enviable spot IMO. . . if doom and von miller can stay healthy, he'll at least get the fighting chance that wink the stink never got. . . that ever-growing list of one-and-done DCs is starting to cast an evil shadow almost as long as the duke's, though. . .

FanInAZ
08-02-2011, 04:53 AM
hey buff, you remember having these rob ryan conversations?

still wish we'd gotten him. . .

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

love the brashness when it comes from someone who actually has a chance at backing it up. . . fans can cap on fat rex because he says they'll win the super bowl and they haven't, but IMO his confidence helps drive his teams to overachieve. . . rob clearly has that same swagger, just like their dad. . . it's no surprise that these guys know how to coach-- pops was one of the two best of all time, as far as i'm concerned. . .

"Pops" (Buddy Ryan) was a defensive genius that had a tendency to destroy an offense that set foot on the same field as him, including his own. You’re going to say I'm embellishing when you read the next statement that I'm about to write, but ask any football fan that lived here in AZ when he coached the Cards. A successful drive for his offense was one in which they made it to 4th down so they could kick the ball away. He was so convinced the defense wins games, and offensive turnover undermines his defenses abilities to win games, that the only criteria for the offensive players that he brought in was that they didn't turn the ball over. He had no problem with the fact that they couldn't move the chains or score points; he just didn't want his offense to give the opposing offense a short field against his defense.