PDA

View Full Version : rico puts his heart into interview

arapaho2
01-11-2011, 05:15 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17065867?source=rss

"I've known the Broncos forever," said Dennison, who played college football at Colorado State. "If it is (an advantage), that's great, I'll use that to the best of my abilities. I'm orange and blue all the way through. I just work in Houston now."

dogfish
01-11-2011, 05:31 PM
please john, just say no!

honz
01-11-2011, 05:33 PM
Mike McCoy is more qualified than Dennison.

slim
01-11-2011, 05:39 PM
"I'm orange and blue all the way through. I just work in Houston now"

That's going to go over well with Kubes and the owner in Houston (not to mention his players).

arapaho2
01-11-2011, 05:45 PM

who's better?

arapaho2
01-11-2011, 05:46 PM

i really doubt that:rolleyes:

honz
01-11-2011, 05:47 PM
Studesville!

dogfish
01-11-2011, 05:48 PM
who's better?

pretty much anyone other than maybe sttudesville and koetter?

i'd like john gruden, but i woulda been happy with russ grimm or ron rivera. . . i can live with fox or fewell-- don't want williams, mularkey, capers, etc, but i'd take 'em over dennison. . .

dogfish
01-11-2011, 05:49 PM
Studesville!

priefer!

chazoe60
01-11-2011, 05:51 PM
Dennison is well rounded as a football coach. He will get the job and he will be very very good for us. Just my guess.

He has about as much experience as you're going to see from a guy who has yet to be a HC. What is it some of you dont like about him?

Lancane
01-11-2011, 05:55 PM

That's a matter of Opinion...just like I could say Dirk Koetter is more qualified then Perry Fewell some may agree, some may disagree and it's all a matte of opinion.

elsid13
01-11-2011, 06:05 PM

i'd like john gruden, but i woulda been happy with russ grimm or ron rivera. . . i can live with fox or fewell-- don't want williams, mularkey, capers, etc, but i'd take 'em over dennison. . .

Russ Grimm has less experience then Dennison. If he was guy from with another team's background, people would not act like he wasn't a good candidate.

dogfish
01-11-2011, 06:06 PM
Russ Grimm has less experience then Dennison. If he was guy from with another team's background, people would not act like he wasn't a good candidate.

yes i would. . . then again, if he was from any other background, he wouldn't be a candidate to begin with. . .

arapaho2
01-11-2011, 06:16 PM

chucky hasnt given one bit of interest in any HC job that i have seen

rico could out coach grimm any day of the week and twice on sunday

what has fox done the past four season? he couldnt keep his own team afloat

capers is the only one i would take over dennison

PAINTERDAVE
01-11-2011, 06:17 PM
I think Dennison has the edge right now.

Reports out of New York say Fewell is preparing to stay at Giants.
Williams bailed. Mularkey bailed... "Mr Kotter" is not gonna get it.

I think the whole thing hinges on the Fox intervew at this point.

I think Dennison is the guy... unless Fox comes in and gives tremendous interview.

Deal is... Rico is a team player... that is what the new setup wants.
They KNOW what they get with him. They trust Rico already.

Fox might just be too much ego for what they are looking for.
He was described as a "Diva" today on the radio by one of the local clowns.
If that is the perception when he sits down at the table...

I think Dennison gets hired.

arapaho2
01-11-2011, 06:23 PM

I think Dennison is the guy... unless Fox comes in and gives tremendous interview.

probably true

BigSarge87
01-11-2011, 06:29 PM
Okay, let's say Dennison gets it. Who are we looking at as possible coordinators?

arapaho2
01-11-2011, 06:30 PM
Okay, let's say Dennison gets it. Who are we looking at as possible coordinators?

fox if he figures the stars are not aligned for a HC job this year

elsid13
01-11-2011, 06:31 PM
yes i would. . . then again, if he was from any other background, he wouldn't be a candidate to begin with. . .

More likely he would be a HC somewhere. He been hurt more then he been helped working for Shanahan.

PAINTERDAVE
01-11-2011, 06:39 PM
Of course... they may have their eye on a guy in the playoffs...
once a few more teams get beat...
they will be available for interviews come Monday Morning.

Could be a dark horse candidate we dont know of in the wings.

PAINTERDAVE
01-11-2011, 06:40 PM
fox if he figures the stars are not aligned for a HC job this year

That would be interesting to say the least.

Cugel
01-11-2011, 06:43 PM

Reality 101:

A. You're NOT going to get Gruden. He's not even going to be asked to interview. He'd want too much money and too much power over player personnel. After getting burned by Shanahan and McMoron's "dafting" they're NOT going to let the new HC have that kind of power -- and they shouldn't.

Same goes for "Coach Chin", and most of the other big-name coaches. They'd only jump back in IF they got both top $ PLUS total control. NO BIG NAME COACH WILL BE INTERVIEWED.

B. Fox -- He's a geezer. How long before he burns out completely? You just can't do this job at a top level year after year after year without wearing down. You saw this with Shanahan. He just wasn't as good after 15 years as when he started. Perhaps he's refreshed after his year off. Perhaps. I'm betting if they hire Fox, he'll be gone in 3 years, tops! :coffee:

Not to mention that he managed to just get fired from the ONLY team in the NFL worse than the Broncos! PASS! :coffee:

C. Ron Rivera. Forget it. He's already gone.

D. Russ Grim. NOT scheduled. Won't be scheduled. Don't ask me why.

E. Fewell. Wouldn't be horrible. If you're going to pick a defensive coordinator, he seems like a logical choice. He's also had interim HC experience. You have to wonder why the Bills didn't think enough of him to keep him though? I rather liked his defensive attitude (attacking defense).

I have to wonder though how his "hands on, back-slapping style (his words) would translate to HC. The HC just can't have that kind of personal relationship with the players that the assistants can. There's a bit of more formality with HC. I haven't heard anything out of Buffalo about how he handled that.

F. Williams, Mularkey, Capers. Well, Mularkey canceled his meeting in a huff, he's out, Capers is NOT on the list (No idea why). Williams -- everybody seems to think this guy isn't qualified. He's had a pretty good track record as an assistant. I have no idea how good of a HC he'd make but he at least deserves an interview.

Doesn't look like you're going to get anything LIKE your choice here. Probably going to come down to Studesville, Fewell, or Fox - Plus Dennison.

If those are the choices, I'd rather have Dennison. Hopefully, he'd bring back the ZBS that worked well in 2008. They've still got Clady & Harris. It might work.

GEM
01-11-2011, 06:50 PM
I was listening to Shlereth tonight and they were talking about returning to the ZBS. He said that Waldon, Beadles and Kupe are absolutely perfect for the ZBS. I'm all about getting back to the shit that works. The system is where Clady and Harris excelled, so if we went back we'd already be a step in the right direction.

Cugel
01-11-2011, 06:52 PM
Of course... they may have their eye on a guy in the playoffs...
once a few more teams get beat...
they will be available for interviews come Monday Morning.

Could be a dark horse candidate we dont know of in the wings.

You'd have to hope so, but the deadline probably means they have all the candidates they intend to consider already scheduled.

It's rather like the way they decided to keep Brian Xanders as GM. First you hear about a "new GM", then NOBODY is scheduled, then somehow it's "we're keeping Xanders."

I'm guessing they have a pretty good idea already who they want as HC and we're probably not going to like the answer. :coffee:

Cugel
01-11-2011, 06:54 PM
I was listening to Shlereth tonight and they were talking about returning to the ZBS. He said that Waldon, Beadles and Kupe are absolutely perfect for the ZBS. I'm all about getting back to the shit that works. The system is where Clady and Harris excelled, so if we went back we'd already be a step in the right direction.

With Clady, Harris, Waldon, Beadles, Kuper, they'd have a great line for the ZBS. It absolutely makes sense.

So, considering how things work at Dove Valley, it'll probably never happen. :coffee:

UnderArmour
01-11-2011, 07:03 PM
I wouldn't mind Dennison as HC if we could get someone like Eric Mangini, Keith Butler(Although his contract appears to have him locked in as D Coordinator in waiting), or John Mitchell to coach the defense.

zbeg
01-11-2011, 08:23 PM

And what's happening in Houston with ZBS? Arian Foster led the NFL in rushing as an undrafted free agent.

We could do worse.

But I admit to always having a pro-Dennison bias. In addition to playing for, coaching the Broncos, he also went to the same college I did (CSU) and the same high school (Rocky Mountain High School in Fort Collins). He's the most famous RMHS alum by a country mile.

I try to be as unbiased as possible with my opinions, but I admit it's hard to untangle that when it comes to Dennison. I really want him to succeed.

BroncoStud
01-11-2011, 08:54 PM
I wouldn't mind Dennison as HC if we could get someone like Eric Mangini, Keith Butler(Although his contract appears to have him locked in as D Coordinator in waiting), or John Mitchell to coach the defense.

I don't want Mangini anywhere NEAR this team... The players don't seem to like him wheveever he goes. That's not a good thing.

ikillz0mbies
01-11-2011, 10:36 PM

YES! Out with the garbage power/man blocking scheme that did NOT work. With the ZBS, the Broncos were tops in the league in running and keeping their QB clean. And absolutely right about Clady and Harris (if healthy) succeeding in a ZBS. They were studs in that blocking scheme.

GEM
01-12-2011, 08:02 AM
The whole "it's out of date" attitude about the ZBS....who gives a shit if it freaking works? The logic just baffled my mind.

Lonestar
01-12-2011, 08:11 AM

unfortunately I do also.

Just because he was here once upon a time.

He is supposedly smart as hell but that does not mean squat at this point.

I'm deathly afraid he will try to bring back the out classed ZBS, that has been a failure now here since TD, ZIm Etal retired.

TXBRONC
01-12-2011, 09:19 AM
The whole "it's out of date" attitude about the ZBS....who gives a shit if it freaking works? The logic just baffled my mind.

No kidding, if it so out of date why did it consistently for 14 years?

Dzone
01-12-2011, 09:53 AM
ZBS? hell, i would take anything that gives us a running game again.

If Dennison gets hired, expect Alex Gibbs to be a consultant.

Reggie Rivers says Dennison has the same personality as Kubiak...oh great..Zzzzzzzzzz

Agent of Orange
01-12-2011, 09:54 AM

Yeah, Houston has one of the best and most balanced offenses in the NFL.

slim
01-12-2011, 10:18 AM
Arian Foster thinks the ZBS is outdated.

In fact, he hates the scheme.

GEM
01-12-2011, 11:38 AM
unfortunately I do also.

Just because he was here once upon a time.

He is supposedly smart as hell but that does not mean squat at this point.

I'm deathly afraid he will try to bring back the out classed ZBS, that has been a failure now here since TD, ZIm Etal retired.

Cause that power blocking scheme did wonders for us. :laugh: That's just nuts. Results trump opinion.

GEM
01-12-2011, 11:39 AM
ZBS? hell, i would take anything that gives us a running game again.

If Dennison gets hired, expect Alex Gibbs to be a consultant.

Reggie Rivers says Dennison has the same personality as Kubiak...oh great..Zzzzzzzzzz

I don't care about freaking personality. We had a fist pumping moron....that got us places, right? The guy is going to be demonized before he's even hired. So sad.

chazoe60
01-12-2011, 11:43 AM
I too hate plugging in no-name backs and turning them into 1000 yard rushers. I much prefer the 1st round back getting gobbled up in the backfield on every play.

God forbid we make a return to things that work.

TXBRONC
01-12-2011, 11:49 AM

:eviltongue: :eviltongue: :D

TXBRONC
01-12-2011, 11:53 AM
I too hate plugging in no-name backs and turning them into 1000 yard rushers. I much prefer the 1st round back getting gobbled up in the backfield on every play.

God forbid we make a return to things that work.

That is bitch to crank out 1,000 yard rushers year in and year out.

On a serious note, if the zone blocking scheme was brought back I think we would see Moreno become a top flight running back.

GEM
01-12-2011, 11:58 AM
That is bitch to crank out 1,000 yard rushers year in and year out.

On a serious note, if the zone blocking scheme was brought back I think we would see Moreno become a top flight running back.

On top of it, our defense isn't going to become all pro overnight or even in 1 season, the more dominant the offense becomes the more it can cover for a rebuilding defense. In the meantime of building the defense with better players, the offense can pick up the slack. It's not the perfect outcome, but there are so many holes on defense that no matter what coordinator we get, it's going to be a process of getting players.

TXBRONC
01-12-2011, 12:11 PM
On top of it, our defense isn't going to become all pro overnight or even in 1 season, the more dominant the offense becomes the more it can cover for a rebuilding defense. In the meantime of building the defense with better players, the offense can pick up the slack. It's not the perfect outcome, but there are so many holes on defense that no matter what coordinator we get, it's going to be a process of getting players.

I think what might help the defense come back a little faster is if they stick with the 3-4 rather than moving back to a 4-3.

dogfish
01-12-2011, 01:02 PM
I don't care about freaking personality.

really? you'd want a soft sister coach like gary kubiak?

don't get me wrong, i like and respect the hell out of the guy for his work with the broncos and his offensive ability, but man i'd be sick to see that softer than butter, no defense at all mentality here. . . teams tend to reflect the personality of their head coach if they don't have a fiery on-field leader like a ray lewis. . . gary's teams always seem to fold when it counts. . .

i wouldn't want that here. . . JMO, obviously. . .

and just to clarify, it's not the ZBS i object to-- i have no problem if they want to bring it back, as long as it isn't accompanied by the mentality that pitiful scrub OLs are okay. . . the ZBS is fine, and it's not outdated-- but you do need to have good linemen to run it, not a bunch of stiffs. . .

GEM
01-12-2011, 01:18 PM
really? you'd want a soft sister coach like gary kubiak?

don't get me wrong, i like and respect the hell out of the guy for his work with the broncos and his offensive ability, but man i'd be sick to see that softer than butter, no defense at all mentality here. . . teams tend to reflect the personality of their head coach if they don't have a fiery on-field leader like a ray lewis. . . gary's teams always seem to fold when it counts. . .

i wouldn't want that here. . . JMO, obviously. . .

and just to clarify, it's not the ZBS i object to-- i have no problem if they want to bring it back, as long as it isn't accompanied by the mentality that pitiful scrub OLs are okay. . . the ZBS is fine, and it's not outdated-- but you do need to have good linemen to run it, not a bunch of stiffs. . .

I want a coach who delegates the yelling and screaming to his coordinators to deal with their specific players. I don't want a head coach on the sidelines with the offense screaming and cussing at them. Do I mind a subtle, soft mannered coach, who does his job well? Nope. You won't even give him a chance though. You have it set that he will fail...before he's even hired. :shrugs:

dogfish
01-12-2011, 01:42 PM
You won't even give him a chance though. You have it set that he will fail...before he's even hired. :shrugs:

okay, seriously, WTF??

so now i'm a bad guy because i say what i think instead of waving the pom-poms? you want me to lie, and say i think he's a great candidate when that's not what i think at all?

i don't have anything "set"-- i've given my OPINIONS on the matter, never tried to present 'em as fact. . . you should know me better. . . as far as "giving him a chance," i won't have any choice if bowlen hires him. .

and if we do hire him, i'll review his performance just as objectively as i can, just like i did for mcdaniels even though i hated that hire too (with very ****in' good reason, as it turned out). . . i gave mcdaniels every chance to suceed here, even after all the dumb trades-- up until the raider game i was openly supportive of the guy keeping his job. . .

regardless of who we hire, i will give them props when they succeed and criticism when they fail. . . i do my best to be fair. . . but i'm not going to wait until three years after a draft class to decide whether i like it, and i'm not going to wait for a few seasons to say whether i think the new coach is a good hire or not. . . if i'm wrong i'll just admit it-- no skin off his nose. . . that doesn't mean i have to toe the company line and love every guy they bring in. . .

HORSEPOWER 56
01-12-2011, 02:33 PM
okay, seriously, WTF??

so now i'm a bad guy because i say what i think instead of waving the pom-poms? you want me to lie, and say i think he's a great candidate when that's not what i think at all?

i don't have anything "set"-- i've given my OPINIONS on the matter, never tried to present 'em as fact. . . you should know me better. . . as far as "giving him a chance," i won't have any choice if bowlen hires him. .

and if we do hire him, i'll review his performance just as objectively as i can, just like i did for mcdaniels even though i hated that hire too (with very ****in' good reason, as it turned out). . . i gave mcdaniels every chance to suceed here, even after all the dumb trades-- up until the raider game i was openly supportive of the guy keeping his job. . .

regardless of who we hire, i will give them props when they succeed and criticism when they fail. . . i do my best to be fair. . . but i'm not going to wait until three years after a draft class to decide whether i like it, and i'm not going to wait for a few seasons to say whether i think the new coach is a good hire or not. . . if i'm wrong i'll just admit it-- no skin off his nose. . . that doesn't mean i have to toe the company line and love every guy they bring in. . .

^^^ What he said. If Dennison can fix the defense, I'll love him forever and want to bear his children. If not, I'll hate him and want him gone just like McDouchebag.

Those are my terms...

GEM
01-12-2011, 02:50 PM
okay, seriously, WTF??

Never said you did.....I said you haven't given him a chance. You haven't seen him coach, yet you know he will be a laid back easy coach. You have no history to base that off. That isn't being fair. No one said you had to wait til after anything, but it's a lot easier if you let the guy get the job and coach a single game before naming him a failure.

Lonestar
01-12-2011, 07:11 PM
Yeah, Houston has one of the best and most balanced offenses in the NFL.

And what happened in the playoffs.

DEN lead the world in rushing over the years top 5 or better most of the time.

But once we got into the red zone we sucked.

Any time we played a decent 3-4 team they took the running game away from us.

ZBS does not win when it counts and that is the playoffs or has not since 1999..

If it is so good why is that..

Lancane
01-12-2011, 07:15 PM

ZBS does not win when it counts and that is the playoffs or has not since 1999..

Because Shanahan focused on latter round talent to fill the positions, and the scheme to cover the weakness of the offensive line, instead of investing higher draft picks into very talented offensive lineman that not only could play in the ZBS but also in other schemes if the game plan so required it.

Lonestar
01-12-2011, 07:20 PM
Cause that power blocking scheme did wonders for us. :laugh: That's just nuts. Results trump opinion.

Originally Posted by GEM View Post
The whole "it's out of date" attitude about the ZBS....who gives a shit if it freaking works? The logic just baffled my mind

so show me which team has won a playoff game since 1999 using the ZBS..

then we can talk about is being worth a crap.

Until then I stand on my position.

and yes the PBS did not work all that well the past two years.

but how many games did the starting running unit even get on the field together?

2 years ago it was groin problems the past two have had one or more starters not playing in every game do to injuries.

Does anyone remotely think had Clady Kuper and Harris been at 100% for the year not counting the two rookies playing in the correct positions for most of the year along with a healthy Moreno of even Hillis the running game may have been able to compete.

I just know I'm to positive to be posting here. But it is nice to see this perspective every so often. LAter folks

claymore
01-12-2011, 07:21 PM
Because Shanahan focused on latter round talent to fill the positions, and the scheme to cover the weakness of the offensive line, instead of investing higher draft picks into very talented offensive lineman that not only could play in the ZBS but also in other schemes if the game plan so required it.

He spent a ton of high picks on Defensive reaches too. We were always picking in the teens and twenties. Trying to find the Warren Sapp at 17 that was never there.

elsid13
01-12-2011, 07:21 PM
It should be pointed out, that the last year Shahanan was in Denver, the team ran a lot more traps and pulls to help the running game. The were not strictly a ZB team. The problem with the red zone running was that Hamilton was hurt and that affected the entire line. Alex Gibbs has said that you build a ZB team from the center out, and if the guards are not able to do their jobs then you have failure.

Lonestar
01-12-2011, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post

I agree but it has been a loser in that playoffs every elsewhere it has been tried also. Did they also just invest in lousy later rounders also?

Just how good can it be?

chazoe60
01-12-2011, 07:25 PM

then we can talk about is being worth a crap.

Until then I stand on my position.

Denver Broncos 2005
:welcome:

Lonestar
01-12-2011, 07:26 PM
It should be pointed out, that the last year Shahanan was in Denver, the team ran a lot more traps and pulls to help the running game. The were not strictly a ZB team. The problem with the red zone running was that Hamilton was hurt and that affected the entire line. Alex Gibbs has said that you build a ZB team from the center out, and if the guards are not able to do their jobs then you have failure.

So for the past 11 or so years every team in the NFL has failed with it when it counts in the playoffs.

claymore
01-12-2011, 07:29 PM
denver broncos 2005

so for the past 11 or so years every team in the nfl has failed with it when it counts in the playoffs.

**cough**

Lonestar
01-12-2011, 07:30 PM
Denver Broncos 2005

And then what happened after tha fluke win.

We got our asses handed to us by a 3-4 team PITT remember that game..

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
M. Anderson 9 36 1 7
T. Bell 5 31 0 11
J. Plummer 7 30 0 8

just in case you forgot

claymore
01-12-2011, 07:32 PM

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
M. Anderson 9 36 1 7
T. Bell 5 31 0 11
J. Plummer 7 30 0 8

just in case you forgot

Plummer was our QB, we were never going to the SB.

Lancane
01-12-2011, 07:35 PM

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
M. Anderson 9 36 1 7
T. Bell 5 31 0 11
J. Plummer 7 30 0 8

just in case you forgot

We also beat a solid 3-4 team the week before, you know...the New England Patriots.

chazoe60
01-12-2011, 07:38 PM

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
M. Anderson 9 36 1 7
T. Bell 5 31 0 11
J. Plummer 7 30 0 8

just in case you forgot

Um, I already answered your question so you are supposed to change your mind. Don't be wishy-washy.

Agent of Orange
01-12-2011, 07:38 PM

Ive already addressed most of this elsewhere. Most, if not all, of what you're saying is not true.

Lancane
01-12-2011, 07:39 PM
I agree but it has been a loser in that playoffs every elsewhere it has been tried also. Did they also just invest in lousy later rounders also?

Just how good can it be?

You can not count any one particular system or scheme, whether offensively or defensively. Just how offensive coordinators utilize three or four different systems into their own scheme, the same has to be said for blocking schemes, the best are those that are balanced and used correctly with the playbook.

Up till Ryan Harris and then Ryan Clady, Denver had been awful about adding talent via free agency and the draft since the line we had during our Super Bowl years. Even now Harris is expendable, Clady...not so much, we now have a pretty good solid core, which we haven't had in some time.

claymore
01-12-2011, 07:43 PM
Lets not forget the scrub RB's weve had. We could never replace Portis.

Agent of Orange
01-12-2011, 07:44 PM
We also beat a solid 3-4 team the week before, you know...the New England Patriots.

And we beat them twice that year.

Some RB #s from 2006 against some noteworthy 3-4 teams

at New England: 27-123
Baltimore: 19-92
San Diego: 20-90
@ San Diego: 17-116

chazoe60
01-12-2011, 07:57 PM
Didn't the Falcons employ the ZBS under Gibbs for a few years and lead the league in rushing as well as win a few playoff games in the early 2000s also?

Maybe I'm wrong on that one, not sure. :confused:

Agent of Orange
01-12-2011, 08:02 PM
Didn't the Falcons employ the ZBS under Gibbs for a few years and lead the league in rushing as well as win a few playoff games in the early 2000s also?

Maybe I'm wrong on that one, not sure. :confused:

Yeah, but part of that is Michael Vick running. So, in their case, its not exactly apples to apples. But it definitely didnt hurt them.

dogfish
01-12-2011, 08:05 PM
the idea that no ZBS team besides denver has ever won the super bowl is also a fallacy-- indy was a primary zone-stretch running team when they won it. . . edgerrin james built his career on the stretch play. . .

in any case, it should be obvious to anyone with a brain that who has the best quarterback is the single biggest determinor of who wins super bowls. . . if a couple of the elite QBs had been paired with ZBS coaches, we would have seen more ZBS teams win rings-- otherwise, not so much. . .

can't count green bay out yet this year, for that matter-- and with the team ascending under aaron rodgers and a nasty defense, don't be surprised if we do see a team with a base ZBS get a championship soon. . .

zbeg
01-13-2011, 02:10 PM

It happened three times.

...last weekend.

(Jets, Seahawks, Packers.)

ZBS teams win in the postseason all the time.