PDA

View Full Version : Elway Should Talk to This Guy - He Has No Doubts

MacGruder
01-11-2011, 03:03 PM
http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2011/jan/11/rich-campbell-my-old-coach-has-no-doubts-tebow/?partner=yahoo_feeds

Cut the beginning of the article.. read at the link please

Recently, I called Bratkowski and asked him to evaluate the former Gators quarterback.

I quickly learned my old coach is a believer — and not simply because he was employed for a short time to mentor Tebow.

Bratkowski, who lives in Santa Rosa Beach, worked with Tebow four times a weeks for six weeks in preparation for Pro Day. The key objective was getting Tebow to carry the ball higher and speed up his delivery.

Zeke said his young charge made significant progress on this front, though ball position and delivery remain Tebow's "biggest challenges" in the NFL.

However, Bratkowski, 79, has no doubts Tebow will succeed at quarterback. The reason? A work ethic and intensity Zeke says is "unmatched" by any football player he's ever met.

"I try to tell people how hard he works, but no one believes me," Bratkowski said. "Tim is something special. He loves challenges. I don't know where he is today or what he's doing, but he's probably in the office in Denver looking at film or working out. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in a Pro Bowl one day."

My old coach should know. He counts San Diego Chargers quarterback Phillip Rivers and Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Michael Vick among many he's tutored the past 15 years.

Rich Campbell is a columnist for Scripps Treasure Coast Newspapers. Contact him at (772) 221-4207 or rich.campbell@scripps.com.

Lancane
01-11-2011, 03:13 PM
Elway has no need to bother an elderly 79 year old man with something that has nothing to do with what is going on.

What the hell is wrong with people? Elway refuted the rumor about trading Tebow, he's said nothing but good things about the kid. This is literally becoming nothing more then trash-talk bullshit, and as I've said before, 'There is a difference between what is said and interpreted compared to what will or has yet to happen'.

Nor does he have to apologize to the Tebowites, because at this time what he said thus far as been utterly true and a commonly shared opinion beyond one player's fanbase. He's a good athlete, a great kid...but far from a good or great quarterback.

MacGruder
01-11-2011, 03:18 PM
but far from a good or great quarterback.

Then why was he better than Orton?

chazoe60
01-11-2011, 03:22 PM
Elway has no need to bother an elderly 79 year old man with something that has nothing to do with what is going on.

What the hell is wrong with people? Elway refuted the rumor about trading Tebow, he's said nothing but good things about the kid. This is literally becoming nothing more then trash-talk bullshit, and as I've said before, 'There is a difference between what is said and interpreted compared to what will or has yet to happen'.

Nor does he have to apologize to the Tebowites, because at this time what he said thus far as been utterly true and a commonly shared opinion beyond one player's fanbase. He's a good athlete, a great kid...but far from a good or great quarterback.

I'm with you Lancane. I am a huge Tebow supporter, love the kid and think he will be our franchise QB but this ardent defending of him is ridiculous.

Elway didn't belittle the guy. He gave an honest answer that was way more supportive of Tebow than it was critical. Hell, anyone can see that Tebow has a ways to go before he's a great QB. Elway didn't say anything that honest Bronco fans didn't already know.

Now, let me put on my Tebowite hat for a second and also say that I have very little doubts that Tebow will become that great QB, in time. I can't help but feel uber confident knowing that even though he is not there yet, his first three games were still very good IMHO and the idea of him becoming much better than that gets me very excited for the future of this franchise at that position.

People need to calm down. Elway loves Tebow, and he was showing him some honest "tough love".

chazoe60
01-11-2011, 03:24 PM

Because Orton sucks.

Let's not use a mediocre game manager, who in all honesty is best suited to be a backup, as the measuring stick we use to gauge Tebow.

Lancane
01-11-2011, 03:29 PM

Why was Orton better statistically the beginning of this year compared to the season before when we actually won more then a few games?

There is a lot more to football then just X's and O's, on any given Sunday a player might bring his game up, another may not be playing as well as he should and a great coach can be out-coached by a coach considered inferior. That is the name of the game, look at the Cleveland - New England game earlier this year, was Cleveland a better team? Did we feel San Fran was better then us? Houston was and look what Tebow and the interim staff did there.

Tebow is a tremendously gifted athlete, a terrific human being, but there is no need to call a duck a goose to save the price on dinner, he is not yet a good quarterback and most of us understand that, we want him to get there but that may take some time and it takes coaching...and Elway thinks that Tebow has the drive to succeed at becoming a good, solid quarterback at this level...that says a lot in my book - then again, people said the same of Leinart, Young, Couch, Leaf and a plethora of others, now Tebow just has to prove Elway and those who support him correct or prove those who feel otherwise were indeed right.

Slick
01-11-2011, 03:33 PM
Elway should talk to him about what?

MacGruder
01-11-2011, 03:34 PM
Because Orton sucks.

Let's not use a mediocre game manager, who in all honesty is best suited to be a backup, as the measuring stick we use to gauge Tebow.

When you consider Orton is a multi year vet and Tebow came in under the worst situation imaginable I don't see how this does not mean Tebow is an exceptional talent. Let's also not forget the IMMENSE pressure on Tebow and how defenses come at him like it's the Superbowl because of his high profile and reputation.

I think even Elway is too focused on the negatives and missing the reality. Steve Young appears to have had the same problem when he completely reversed course on his Tebow outlook.

slim
01-11-2011, 03:35 PM

The benefits of Metamucil and regular colon exams?

MacGruder
01-11-2011, 03:36 PM

About evaluating QBs. People need to realize that what makes someone a great player doesn't make them a great talent evaluator.

Look at Michael Jordan.. who drafted Kwame Brown and Adam Morrison.

Lancane
01-11-2011, 03:40 PM
When you consider Orton is a multi year vet and Tebow came in under the worst situation imaginable I don't see how this does not mean Tebow is an exceptional talent. Let's also not forget the IMMENSE pressure on Tebow and how defenses come at him like it's the Superbowl because of his high profile and reputation.

I think even Elway is too focused on the negatives and missing the reality. Steve Young appears to have had the same problem when he completely reversed course on his Tebow outlook.

Steve Young was a consensus first round pick that like Tebow had some questions surrounding him. But let's not forget for one moment that until he had a decent coach that he looked to be a bust, it took him eight seasons to earn any real accolades and become a solid starting quarterback in this league.

Lancane
01-11-2011, 03:41 PM
About evaluating QBs. People need to realize that what makes someone a great player doesn't make them a great talent evaluator.

Look at Ozzie Newsome in Baltimore... :coffee:

slim
01-11-2011, 03:43 PM

Steve Young agrees.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-11-2011, 03:44 PM

Don't feed the Troll, bro. This guy ain't worth your time. He's not even a Broncos fan...

Slick
01-11-2011, 03:45 PM

Are you one of those fan bois who got pissy because Elway said Tebow has some work to do to become a good NFL QB?

KCL
01-11-2011, 03:46 PM
Don't feed the Troll, bro. This guy ain't worth your time. He's not even a Broncos fan...

I agree and I've been posting with him in the Berry thread...the crush on Tebow is a bit too much to be posting on an NFL forum.

slim
01-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Don't listen to them, Mac. You are a good poster and I think you bring a lot to this message board.

Keep up the good work!

KCL
01-11-2011, 03:49 PM
Are you one of those fan bois who got pissy because Elway said Tebow has some work to do to become a good NFL QB?

B-I-N-G-O...and the fact that Bronco fans don't know how great Tebow is...he is better than any NFL QB in the league right now and the sooner you acknowledge this slick the better off things will be.

KCL
01-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Don't listen to them, Mac. You are a good poster and I think you bring a lot to this message board.

Keep up the good work!

slim...lunch called and it's waiting for you.

MacGruder
01-11-2011, 03:59 PM

Keep up the good work!

Thanks slim! I appreciate your kindness! Truly.

slim
01-11-2011, 04:00 PM
slim...lunch called and it's waiting for you.

I am actually leaving right now to go pick up second lunch.

BRB!

MacGruder
01-11-2011, 04:03 PM

If you mean by "pissy" -- worried that Elway doesn't know what he is talking about? Yes...

Slick
01-11-2011, 04:07 PM
If you mean by "pissy" -- worried that Elway doesn't know what he is talking about? Yes...

So you don't think Tebow needs to work on his reads, footwork, timing, touch, and pocket presence? He is already polished?

horsepig
01-11-2011, 04:10 PM
UHHMMM! Lunch!

MacGruder
01-11-2011, 04:14 PM
So you don't think Tebow needs to work on his reads, footwork, timing, touch, and pocket presence? He is already polished?

I don't think he should be questioned more than any other rookie.. even the "flawless" Andrew Luck. Tebow just has different strengths and weaknesses than most.

Mike Holmgren said he didn't even think Tebow had to change his throwing motion. he had the same motion as Favre and Young..