PDA

View Full Version : Gregg Williams withdraws name from Broncos job

turftoad
01-11-2011, 12:35 PM
Here’s a surprise: Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams has declined to interview with the Denver Broncos for their head coaching position.

“Williams made the decision today after discussing the situation with family and his players,” Duncan writes.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/11/gregg-williams-withdraws-name-from-broncos-job/

Guess we're not as prominent as we used to be.

I'm OK with this though.

BroncoJoe
01-11-2011, 12:36 PM
Here’s a surprise: Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams has declined to interview with the Denver Broncos for their head coaching position.

“Williams made the decision today after discussing the situation with family and his players,” Duncan writes.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/11/gregg-williams-withdraws-name-from-broncos-job/

Guess we're not as prominent as we used to be.

I'm OK with this though.

My wife and kids would kill me if I took a job outside of Denver and we had to all move. Actually, they wouldn't kill me, they'd just say "goodbye".

turftoad
01-11-2011, 12:39 PM
My wife and kids would kill me if I took a job outside of Denver and we had to all move. Actually, they wouldn't kill me, they'd just say "goodbye".

I think they'd change thier mind if you were offered what a head coach's salary is Joe. ;)

BroncoJoe
01-11-2011, 12:40 PM
I think they'd change thier mind if you were offered what a head coach's salary is Joe. ;)

Maybe, but as most coaches will admit - you're hired to be fired. In most cases, of course.

GEM
01-11-2011, 12:40 PM
Sucks that it's the 2nd coordinator to pull out without even interviewing.

Not too upset about Malarkey or Williams. They weren't high on my list.

slim
01-11-2011, 12:42 PM
Good.

BroncoWave
01-11-2011, 01:06 PM
After what the Seahawks did to the Saints, I don't mind this at all.

Warhawk
01-11-2011, 01:09 PM
He apparently accepted initially, as they had a scheduled date for the interview. It would seem that something made him change his mind.

I do remember some quote where he said the Saints were one of the "few sane organizations in the NFL" or something along those lines... so maybe bad experiences elsewhere (Buffalo? Washington?) are a contributing factor to his final decision.

slim
01-11-2011, 01:12 PM
Maybe John called him "George"

Ravage!!!
01-11-2011, 01:16 PM
He apparently accepted initially, as they had a scheduled date for the interview. It would seem that something made him change his mind.

I do remember some quote where he said the Saints were one of the "few sane organizations in the NFL" or something along those lines... so maybe bad experiences elsewhere (Buffalo? Washington?) are a contributing factor to his final decision.

Could be that he and his family are just happy where they are. They feel secure, they like the community, they like the city, they like where they are working. That goes a long way. Maybe Williams just didn't enjoy being a HC, and maybe his family didn't like him being an HC.

Who knows?

slim
01-11-2011, 01:18 PM
I think it is southeast bias.

The freaking NFC South has never given Denver the respect they deserve.

dogfish
01-11-2011, 01:19 PM
he knew that he could never compete with such a highly-regarded A-list candidate as rick dennison. . . .

:drinking:

BroncoJoe
01-11-2011, 01:19 PM

Money isn't everything to everyone. I'm sure they're living a VERY comfortable life in NO.

slim
01-11-2011, 01:20 PM
he knew that he could never compete with such a highly-regarded A-list candidate as rick dennison. . . .

:drinking:

Dude, Rick is gonna bring us back to mediocrity.

Get on board the bandwagon while you can :welcome:

Agent of Orange
01-11-2011, 01:25 PM
Maybe he has heard or got the vibe that someone else is the frontrunner and didnt want to try and not get it.

slim
01-11-2011, 01:29 PM
Gregg has a nice rack.

Warhawk
01-11-2011, 01:32 PM
Maybe he has heard or got the vibe that someone else is the frontrunner and didnt want to try and not get it.

There is some rumor out of NYC that Fewell is expected to remain as Giants DC:

http://twitter.com/thegarymiller

He's apparently aware that he's not a top candidate. If Fewell knows someone else has the inside track, I'm sure Williams would know as well.

Why interview if you know you aren't going to get the job? It's not like Williams needs the interview experience.

dogfish
01-11-2011, 01:38 PM
Dude, Rick is gonna bring us back to mediocrity.

Get on board the bandwagon while you can :welcome:

that thing is so unsafe not even NTL would sell you a bad policy on it. . .

UnderArmour
01-11-2011, 01:41 PM
After what the Seahawks did to the Saints, I don't mind this at all.

Meh, it's not really accurate to judge him by that game. The Saints dared Matt Hasselbeck to beat them and he did. Without Malcolm Jenkins, they struggled covering all of Seattle's depth at receiver. With Stokely, Obamaru, Tate, and Williams no matter who the defense keyed in on, the secondary depth simply was not there. Also, you can't really blame coaching or schemes on the Marshawn Lynch run; that was just pure talent and effort on Lynch's part and of the entire Seattle offense. 11 guys were down the field blocking for Lynch after he started to break loose, I even saw Tyler Polumbus making a block way down field for Lynch.

Another major issue with the Saints offense is their inability to run the football between the tackles and this has made it easier for teams to come back on them. Until Payton finds a real running back, we're going to see more and more of what happened at Seattle. It is hard for ANY defense to succeed without an offense that compliments them by running the football or has a short passing game that completes a high percentage of throws in-bounds to keep the clock moving.

With that said, I really don't think he would have gotten the job anyway. I feel like it's between Fox and Dennison.

TXBRONC
01-11-2011, 01:42 PM
Maybe John called him "George"

Or Gabe.

slim
01-11-2011, 01:48 PM
Or Gabe.

Maybe he spelled his name with only 2 G's, instead of three.

Agent of Orange
01-11-2011, 01:57 PM
There is some rumor out of NYC that Fewell is expected to remain as Giants DC:

http://twitter.com/thegarymiller

He's apparently aware that he's not a top candidate. If Fewell knows someone else has the inside track, I'm sure Williams would know as well.

Why interview if you know you aren't going to get the job? It's not like Williams needs the interview experience.

And I suppose another clue that this is the case, is the fact that they expect to have a head coach by January 19th.

Superchop 7
01-11-2011, 03:01 PM
No sweat off my brow.

BroncoStud
01-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Awesome! Now if John Fox will remove his name from the list all will be good again.

Lancane
01-11-2011, 03:59 PM
Awesome! Now if John Fox will remove his name from the list all will be good again.

I wouldn't be surprised if we heard that Dennison was the only one getting a second interview come Thursday.

slim
01-11-2011, 04:01 PM
Let's not put the cart before the horse.

I bet Fox is the guy they really want.

Lancane
01-11-2011, 04:05 PM

Nope, it's really Jed Clampett...but the SOB doesn't own a phone so we had to send an intern to his home to see if he wanted the damn job.

:laugh:

chazoe60
01-11-2011, 04:09 PM
Williams found out that the first question was going to be "What happened against the Seahawks?" So instead of going all the way to Denver to get laughed at he decided to stay at home.

jhildebrand
01-11-2011, 04:11 PM
I don't recall ANY Gregg Williams defense that knocked my socks off.

DenBronx
01-11-2011, 04:13 PM
I didnt care to see his pubic hair head in Denver anyway.

Overated!

HORSEPOWER 56
01-11-2011, 04:49 PM
Honestly, I think the charm and appeal of the Broncos HC job is a little tarnished as of late and is probably just not very appealing. The Elway, Ellis, Xanders triumvirate may also be giving some of the bigger named, more experienced candidates pause.

Some of the re-tread types like Williams and Mularkey may actually want full control the second time around and so they may be avoiding interviewing because they really just don't want the job. If I was a highly paid and respected coordinator, especially if I was a previous HC, I'm not sure that I'd want to be held repsonsible by and potentially handicapped (personnel wise) by a brain trust consisting of a GM who has never really been a GM (Xanders), an ex-player who has never been a VP (Elway), and a suit who is the voicebox for a potentially infirm owner (Ellis).

Combine that with a team that really doesn't have a lot of talent, player wise, including some big pieces to replace (potentially Champ and Harris leaving) and you've got a situation that looks like it's almost more trouble than it's worth. McDaniels has screwed this team up so badly, I strongly doubt many guys with a lot of HC experience really want to go through potentially having to right the ship.

I'd really love to see us bring in an experienced guy like John Fox, but I think we're going to end up with a first time guy like a Dennison or a Fewell. I just don't know if a 1st time guy has what it takes to get this team turned around.

Lancane
01-11-2011, 04:56 PM
Honestly, I think the charm and appeal of the Broncos HC job is a little tarnished as of late and is probably just not very appealing. The Elway, Ellis, Xanders triumvirate may also be giving some of the bigger named, more experienced candidates pause.

Some of the re-tread types like Williams and Mularkey may actually want full control the second time around and so they may be avoiding interviewing because they really just don't want the job. If I was a highly paid and respected coordinator, especially if I was a previous HC, I'm not sure that I'd want to be held repsonsible by and potentially handicapped (personnel wise) by a brain trust consisting of a GM who has never really been a GM (Xanders), an ex-player who has never been a VP (Elway), and a suit who is the voicebox for a potentially infirm owner (Ellis).

Combine that with a team that really doesn't have a lot of talent, player wise, including some big pieces to replace (potentially Champ and Harris leaving) and you've got a situation that looks like it's almost more trouble than it's worth. McDaniels has screwed this team up so badly, I strongly doubt many guys with a lot of HC experience really want to go through potentially having to right the ship.

I'd really love to see us bring in an experienced guy like John Fox, but I think we're going to end up with a first time guy like a Dennison or a Fewell. I just don't know if a 1st time guy has what it takes to get this team turned around.

And we could hire John Fox and he could have a stint comparable to Mangini's in Cleveland. There are no guarantees and sadly that's what a majority of us would like to have.

dogfish
01-11-2011, 05:27 PM

john clayton is reporting that we're "seriously" considering fox because we prefer someone with previous head coaching ability, but i'm not gonna hold my breath. . .

we'll see. . .

Lancane
01-11-2011, 05:31 PM
john clayton is reporting that we're "seriously" considering fox because we prefer someone with previous head coaching ability, but i'm not gonna hold my breath. . .

we'll see. . .

I would prefer Dennison, re-tread head coaches fail as often as they succeed.

Dog will just have to be on suicide watch for a little longer! ;)

slim
01-11-2011, 05:33 PM

we'll see. . .

That is what John said at his initial presser (and why I think Fox is the front runner). He said the next coach will be someone with experience...so based on the people they are interviewing that leaves Fox, Fewell (interim), Studes (interim) and Koetter (if you count college HC experience, which I hope they don't).

I would be surprised if they don't hire Fox (assuming Fox wants the job).

vettesplus
01-11-2011, 05:35 PM
or maybe he did not want to have to deal with the mess that the denver broncos are in, kind of a lose lose situation...

BigSarge87
01-11-2011, 05:43 PM
I'm starting to lean towards Dennison. I was impressed that when asked about how he would convince ownership that he could restore the defense he said that would be dependant on bringing in a great coordinator. Paraphrasing, of course, but I thought it was excellent that he recognized that. Hopefully if he gets the job, we will find an outstanding d coord and let him run the defense without stepping on his d#$& all the time.

Ravage!!!
01-11-2011, 06:47 PM
I think its Dennison. I'm more in favor of getting a guy with his experience, but not had the failure of being an HC before. Look at the Playoff coaches of today. 2 of 12 are the re-tread HCs.

Dennison has experience, he's Denver through n through.. and understands the rivalry of the AFC West. He knows the city, the people, he owner, the GM, and the expectations.

I wasn't on board with him initially, but now I am. I would prefer him over Fox.

PAINTERDAVE
01-11-2011, 06:56 PM
I think its Dennison. I'm more in favor of getting a guy with his experience, but not had the failure of being an HC before. Look at the Playoff coaches of today. 2 of 12 are the re-tread HCs.

Dennison has experience, he's Denver through n through.. and understands the rivalry of the AFC West. He knows the city, the people, he owner, the GM, and the expectations.

I wasn't on board with him initially, but now I am. I would prefer him over Fox.

With Dennison the Broncos get a team player...
a guy they know really well.

Fox... he may have too big of an ego for the setup they are going with.
Some local talk show host today described Fox as a "diva".
If he comes across as arrogant at all in the interview.. I doubt they hire Fox.

Agent of Orange
01-11-2011, 07:15 PM
With Dennison the Broncos get a team player...
a guy they know really well.

Fox... he may have too big of an ego for the setup they are going with.
Some local talk show host today described Fox as a "diva". If he comes across as arrogant at all in the interview.. I doubt they hire Fox.

John or Samantha?

claymore
01-11-2011, 07:20 PM

I think Fox is pissed off and cant wait to redeem himself. I would be happy with him or dennison.

Id prefer Dennison over most I guess. I know him and Elway love the Broncos as much as I do. Maybe Elway, Dennison, and Tebow can create something special.

We lost that twinkle somewhere. I think its in Buff's shoes. Old twinkle shoes.

chazoe60
01-11-2011, 07:38 PM
I think Fox is pissed off and cant wait to redeem himself. I would be happy with him or dennison.

Id prefer Dennison over most I guess. I know him and Elway love the Broncos as much as I do. Maybe Elway, Dennison, and Tebow can create something special.

We lost that twinkle somewhere. I think its in Buff's shoes. Old twinkle shoes.

So, that's why they call him "Twink".