PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Mac gives Rico two thumbs up

Dzone
01-11-2011, 10:52 AM
"very likable. Guys like him. He's a family man. I give two thumbs up to Rico"

Dzone
01-11-2011, 11:08 AM
Someone can merge this with the dennison thread...nice to hear Eddie Mac speak so highly of dennison...He has accomplished a lot. He was put into situations which required him to learn totally new facets of the game.

Superchop 7
01-11-2011, 11:21 AM
Someone can merge this with the dennison thread...nice to hear Eddie Mac speak so highly of dennison...He has accomplished a lot. He was put into situations which required him to learn totally new facets of the game.

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Mensa is mensa.

Dzone
01-11-2011, 12:29 PM
__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Mensa is mensa.
Right on. We need a Mensa Head Coach.

Ravage!!!
01-11-2011, 12:51 PM
If we did get Luck, then the two of them could have talked engineering and Rick could have helped Andrew get his degree in the offseason with tutoring :D

Denver Native (Carol)
01-11-2011, 01:15 PM
Did not want to start another thread for the following, but besides the usual Eddie Mack show every Tuesday morning, TD and Shannon were also on together today.

http://www.877theticket.com/page.php?page_id=60 - under ticket replay

Agent of Orange
01-11-2011, 02:07 PM
OK, its time to do some math.

* News has come out that they expect to have a head coach by January 19th, which is weird considering they had interveiwed 2 at that point and were expecting to interview several.

* It seems apparent that a couple of the candidates are getting the impression (either through a vibe or explicitly through back channels) that theyre not in the running. Im talking about Gregg Williams and Perry Fewell.

* A number of ex players, like Eddie Mac and Stink, have raved about Dennison. If several ex-players love Dennison, why would Elway be any different?

* They've spoken of someone familiar with the Broncos and knows what they mean to the fanbase. Dennison is from the area, went to CSU, and was with the Broncos through 24 years and was with the Broncos in some capacity for every SB appearance except for 1977.

It seems like it's starting to add up.

BroncoJoe
01-11-2011, 02:12 PM
OK, its time to do some math.

* News has come out that they expect to have a head coach by January 19th, which is weird considering they had interveiwed 2 at that point and were expecting to interview several.

* It seems apparent that a couple of the candidates are getting the impression (either through a vibe or explicitly through back channels) that theyre not in the running. Im talking about Gregg Williams and Perry Fewell.

* A number of ex players, like Eddie Mac and Stink, have raved about Dennison. If several ex-players love Dennison, why would Elway be any different?

* They've spoken of someone familiar with the Broncos and knows what they mean to the fanbase. Dennison is from the area, went to CSU, and was with the Broncos through 24 years and was with the Broncos in some capacity for every SB appearance except for 1977.

It seems like it's starting to add up.

He was also tutored by Shanahan and Kubiak - two people that Elway holds in very high regard.

underrated29
01-11-2011, 02:17 PM
He was also tutored by Shanahan and Kubiak - two people that Elway holds in very high regard.

he also sits down when he pees. Just like bowlen.

Agent of Orange
01-11-2011, 02:17 PM

True but thats kind of under the 4th bullet point. He also played under one of the best DCs in Joe Collier. He's been under some great coaches in his time in Denver.

Agent of Orange
01-11-2011, 02:18 PM

Thats makes me like him even more.

BroncoJoe
01-11-2011, 02:19 PM

Dude would rip your head off if given the opportunity. I take it you never saw him play.

Relax on the Bowlen bashing as well. One mistake in 25+ years is OK.

Dzone
01-11-2011, 02:22 PM
Learned Offensive line play from Alex Gibbs

underrated29
01-11-2011, 02:26 PM
Dude would rip your head off if given the opportunity. I take it you never saw him play.

Relax on the Bowlen bashing as well. One mistake in 25+ years is OK.

We need this kind of attitude on defense!!^

Calm down Joe. Its a funny. No one is bashing either person:salute:

Superchop 7
01-11-2011, 02:30 PM
8. In considering the nature of intelligence, experts would be most likely to agree that intelligence is

A. shaped at birth
B. fixed at birth and cannot change
C. the ability to learn from experience
D. composed of many different traits

(The answer is C, whats also interesting is that people with higher IQ's have less of a risk of concussion)

silkamilkamonico
01-11-2011, 02:33 PM
This guy is 52. I'm a little concerned why he hasn't had an oppurtunity to coach yet, and even more concerned he hasn't been out of the Denver Shanahan cirlce. 2 things have been consistent with Shanahan and Kubiak. Great offense, lousy defense. Not a big fan of him as a HC. I really wish Bowlen would look in a different direction than hoping on past experience for future success. It is time.

Superchop 7
01-11-2011, 02:44 PM
This guy is 52. I'm a little concerned why he hasn't had an oppurtunity to coach yet, and even more concerned he hasn't been out of the Denver Shanahan cirlce. 2 things have been consistent with Shanahan and Kubiak. Great offense, lousy defense. Not a big fan of him as a HC. I really wish Bowlen would look in a different direction than hoping on past experience for future success. It is time.

__________________________________________________ ______________________________

Think in terms of TOP TEN

We know Dennison would put the Broncos in the top ten on offense.

The hire of DC is the biggest concern.

I think Dennison/Elway have enough common sense to hire a guy that can get it done.

camdisco24
01-11-2011, 02:49 PM
__________________________________________________ ______________________________

Think in terms of TOP TEN

We know Dennison would put the Broncos in the top ten on offense.

The hire of DC is the biggest concern.

I think Dennison/Elway have enough common sense to hire a guy that can get it done.

I want a coach who can maintain the offense. Like you said, put us in the top 10.

DC is what we should really be watching and talking about... I'd be cool with John Fox as DC. I think he could really do a good job in that capacity in Denver.

slim
01-11-2011, 02:51 PM

This is one reason I like him. He has seen first hand that Shanny and Kubes have struggled to field a playoff caliber team and he is smart enough to understand the reasons for it.

Superchop 7
01-11-2011, 02:57 PM
I want a coach who can maintain the offense. Like you said, put us in the top 10.

DC is what we should really be watching and talking about... I'd be cool with John Fox as DC. I think he could really do a good job in that capacity in Denver.
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

Could not agree more, pay Fox the money, tell him he has ZERO say on the offensive side of the ball.

Leave it alone from there.

silkamilkamonico
01-11-2011, 02:58 PM
If he is hired, I think it's vital to get a DC in here, ala Nolan, and just let him have full control of the defense. Give him an assistant coach title/DC if that's what it takes. Do not let Dennison neglect the defense like Shanahan and Kubiak have.

dogfish
01-11-2011, 03:02 PM
"very likable. Guys like him. He's a family man. "

he's a family man. . . well there's a ringing endorsement for a head coaching job if i've ever heard one. . . he's never coordinated anything beyond some shitty special teams units, but guys like him-- and more importantly, he'll work cheap and won't turn down our interview requests. . .

Agent of Orange
01-11-2011, 04:11 PM
If he is hired, I think it's vital to get a DC in here, ala Nolan, and just let him have full control of the defense. Give him an assistant coach title/DC if that's what it takes. Do not let Dennison neglect the defense like Shanahan and Kubiak have.

This is how I feel. Honestly, the DC is more important than having a defensive head coach. Im not so sure the organization itself shouldnt hand pick a DC and give them autonomy.

underrated29
01-11-2011, 04:47 PM

Yess

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

Could not agree more, pay Fox the money, tell him he has ZERO say on the offensive side of the ball.

YESSSS!

I can handle fox in this capacity 100%

JDL
01-11-2011, 04:50 PM
What DC worth his salt is going to come and work for Dennison?

How can we attract good defensive free agents with Dennison and a mediocre DC?

If you get Fox, you get a ton of actually good free agents to choose from and you can just as easily bring in an OC to work under him because he's an established name, he has MANY connections in the league.

Do we want the whole damn organization trying to learn the ropes at the same time...wasn't the point to get people around Elway who've been there and done it before? Experienced people?

Dennison has never been considered a serious head coaching candidate, but because he is all Bronco that is good enough for us... man this is going to get ugly... you can't have everyone on the damn team with training wheels on and no prospective coordinators that are highly respected are going to put themselves in that position... you're stuck with a guy like Fassel and for fun why don't you go look up what Fassel's offenses did in New York, how many times they failed to even score 300pts! THAT is where we are heading.

slim
01-11-2011, 04:52 PM
he's a family man. . . well there's a ringing endorsement for a head coaching job if i've ever heard one. . . he's never coordinated anything beyond some shitty special teams units, but guys like him-- and more importantly, he'll work cheap and won't turn down our interview requests. . .

That is pretty harsh (and not remotely true). His ST units were pretty good, IMO.

I guess haters gotta hate :welcome:

Lancane
01-11-2011, 04:53 PM

We did that Silk, and we got...McDaniels!

It's like a threat you tell your kids now, "If you don't behave, Josh McDaniels will come and trade your family away!"

:lol:

silkamilkamonico
01-11-2011, 07:36 PM
We did that Silk, and we got...McDaniels!

It's like a threat you tell your kids now, "If you don't behave, Josh McDaniels will come and trade your family away!"

:lol:

Mcdaniels was/is a young upstart. I am also a little broken hearted that we had am x's and o's brain like him, with his knowledge of football, be ruined because he couldn't work with others. McDaniels did a terrible coaching job here obviously, and he purged the organization of talent he had, but damn, he's going to hit it big some day if he figures out that coaching invovles working with other people and actually has a talented QB to work with.

At the very least, some team is going to get the best OC in the game this offseason and it won't be us.

A 52 year old guy that has never been a HC or had the oppurtunity tells me he was never really thought of in that light in the first place. Didn't we interview Dennison after Shanahan was fired, or he wanted an interview and we didn't interview him? So we might hire a guy that couldn't even get a serious look in our organization a couple years ago? A guy that was distant behind the likes of McDaniels, Spagnuolo, anyone else?

My what an unattractive list of candidates for our coveted Denver HC position. So disappointing, IMHO.

Lancane
01-11-2011, 07:53 PM
Mcdaniels was/is a young upstart. I am also a little broken hearted that we had am x's and o's brain like him, with his knowledge of football, be ruined because he couldn't work with others. McDaniels did a terrible coaching job here obviously, and he purged the organization of talent he had, but damn, he's going to hit it big some day if he figures out that coaching invovles working with other people and actually has a talented QB to work with.

At the very least, some team is going to get the best OC in the game this offseason and it won't be us.

A 52 year old guy that has never been a HC or had the oppurtunity tells me he was never really thought of in that light in the first place. Didn't we interview Dennison after Shanahan was fired, or he wanted an interview and we didn't interview him? So we might hire a guy that couldn't even get a serious look in our organization a couple years ago? A guy that was distant behind the likes of McDaniels, Spagnuolo, anyone else?

My what an unattractive list of candidates for our coveted Denver HC position. So disappointing, IMHO.

Dennison was one of the finalists for the job Silk, we ended going with the X's and O's guy that shit golden eggs in McDaniels over all the other finalists which was Frazier, Morris, Garrett and Dennison. The other three off that list landed head coaching jobs before Dennison, but that's not surprising considering that two of them returned to their respective teams and became interim head coaches to full on hires. Morris was hired by the Buccaneers outright, so we can not gauge the interest he may have if more teams fired coaches as they expected to.

And let's not forget that he also was a long-time player, some people don't have the ability to come to the NFL and then go the coaching route...old school, most have been coaches since their younger days and right out of college. Cowher only played for five or six years, Musgrave for five or six, Harbaugh played for what, twelve years? But he also was helping on his days off as an assistant coach for Western Kentucky, spent one season in the NFL before going the college route? Point is that most times players turned coaches these days are not like Reeves and other greats of yesteryear. Dennison spent eight seasons in the league and then began coaching, he has had several roles in that capacity. I don't see how you can blast him for his age and not having a head coaching job by now when it sounds more like he was perfecting his trade, which is football.

silkamilkamonico
01-11-2011, 07:58 PM
I was looking at Dennison's profile, and I don't know how accurate it is, but it shows he has never worked under a coach other than Shanahan or Kubiak. Not only has he never got a HC job before in his 20-25 years of coaching but he hasn't worked under any other schemes.

I think in this day and age the Shanahan/Kubiak blueprint just isn't a good blueprint for success. Very scared we are just goling to continue to follow along with that mediocrity with Dennison, but we will see.

gobroncsnv
01-11-2011, 08:05 PM
I'm not inviting a fire fight here, but other than a few former Broncs expressing a like for the guy, I really can't point to a Dennison accomplishment that is worthy of a head coaching job. Seriously, if there is more info out there than is being brought to light so far, I need to hear it in order to warm to the idea of him running the sidelines. Hoping that we're looking deeper than him, but open to additional input. I would agree that he seems a likable guy, but, does it go beyond that.

PAINTERDAVE
01-11-2011, 08:09 PM
And yet...
if Dennison is hired as HC...
then they do bring in experienced OC and DC...
and give those two some level of autonomy/responsibility..

things might not be too bad.

That is the structure the Broncos are setting up...
for good or bad.

I just dont see Fox coming here and fitting in.

PAINTERDAVE
01-11-2011, 08:12 PM
I'm not inviting a fire fight here, but other than a few former Broncs expressing a like for the guy, I really can't point to a Dennison accomplishment that is worthy of a head coaching job. Seriously, if there is more info out there than is being brought to light so far, I need to hear it in order to warm to the idea of him running the sidelines. Hoping that we're looking deeper than him, but open to additional input. I would agree that he seems a likable guy, but, does it go beyond that.

Eddie Mac today said the guy has paid his dues..
is very savvy..
has learned all any guy can learn without being the driver...
and it is the time in his careeer that someone give him the keys.

It could be awesome... or not.

At least, unlike Josh, he was a player first... and he gets along with people.

Slick
01-11-2011, 08:15 PM
I was looking at Dennison's profile, and I don't know how accurate it is, but it shows he has never worked under a coach other than Shanahan or Kubiak. Not only has he never got a HC job before in his 20-25 years of coaching but he hasn't worked under any other schemes.

I think in this day and age the Shanahan/Kubiak blueprint just isn't a good blueprint for success. Very scared we are just goling to continue to follow along with that mediocrity with Dennison, but we will see.

We can be a top 10 offense again. One that continues to get their asses handed to them in the playoffs and by the physical teams of the league.

I can hardly contain myself.

:bandit:

dogfish
01-11-2011, 08:15 PM

it's all going to be different this time. . . really!

Lancane
01-11-2011, 08:40 PM
We can be a top 10 offense again. One that continues to get their asses handed to them in the playoffs and by the physical teams of the league.

I can hardly contain myself.

So you would rather have Fox who is so conservative he's become bland? Then we can bitch about how shitty the offense is but how stupendous the defense is...or at least a bit better then mediocre.

Lancane
01-11-2011, 08:42 PM

Point to John Harbaugh's accomplishment or Reheem Morris' for that matter before getting a similar post...I'll be waiting.

Slick
01-11-2011, 08:56 PM
So you would rather have Fox who is so conservative he's become bland? Then we can bitch about how shitty the offense is but how stupendous the defense is...or at least a bit better then mediocre.

Yes, I would.

Fox's conservative offenses and solid defenses have done more than Shanahan/Kubiak/Dennison have in the same time period.

His teams also know what to do when the game turns into a street fight. I don't want a finesse West Coast offense back in Denver.

If we could pair the two I could find it easier to swallow.

I'm not excited about anyone we've talked to or anyone that's been mentioned to be honest, I just don't think we should be trying to rekindle the old romance.

titan
01-11-2011, 08:57 PM
I hope the Broncos go in a different direction than Dennison. If we hire Rick it seems like we are back to the Shanahan model - strong offense and relying on the defensive coordinator to build a good defense. We saw a parade of defensive coordinators come through Denver in the Shanahan years with mixed results. And it isn't a given Dennison will be as effective as Shanahan/Kubiak on the offensive side.

I'm hoping for a defensive oriented head coach.

The "likeable" factor for Dennison may be an overreaction to the failed McDaniels experiment. Instead of hiring an unknown from the outside pick a safe, albeit inexperienced, and likeable choice from the Bronco family. Would Dennison be a head coach candidate anywhere else but Denver? Reminds me of when the Nuggets brought Dan Issel back to be their GM. We know how that turned out.

I do think John Elway has good football instincts so if Dennison is the choice I'll hope John sees something in Rick that I'm missing, and I'll hope Rick is successful.

PAINTERDAVE
01-11-2011, 09:03 PM
I hope the Broncos go in a different direction than Dennison. If we hire Rick it seems like we are back to the Shanahan model - strong offense and relying on the defensive coordinator to build a good defense. We saw a parade of defensive coordinators come through Denver in the Shanahan years with mixed results. And it isn't a given Dennison will be as effective as Shanahan/Kubiak on the offensive side.

I'm hoping for a defensive oriented head coach.

The "likeable" factor for Dennison may be an overreaction to the failed McDaniels experiment. Instead of hiring an unknown from the outside pick a safe, albeit inexperienced, and likeable choice from the Bronco family. Would Dennison be a head coach candidate anywhere else but Denver? Reminds me of when the Nuggets brought Dan Issel back to be their GM. We know how that turned out.

I do think John Elway has good football instincts so if Dennison is the choice I'll hope John sees something in Rick that I'm missing, and I'll hope Rick is successful.

Well.. hiring Dennison does not mean that we HAVE to be like that.

We hire Dennison... get two strong co-ordinatorrs.. OC and DC...

DRAFT DEFENSIVE LINE... build a new defense under a strong co-ordinator..
regroup a new offense around Tebow and thomas and Decker and Lloyd and Royal and
the finaly gelling o-line.... get a stud TE to add to the mix.

Why is THAT not a possible outcome of hiring Dennison?

A balanced team? Is it that far fetched to think Elway is not considering this?```

Cugel
01-11-2011, 09:08 PM

Brilliant! :coffee:

Here's how that conversation would go:

Elway: "We're going to pay you a good salary, but you'll have ZERO say on the offensive side of the ball."

Fox: "What? Did you say I'd have ZERO say over my offense?"

Elway: "You got that right. ZERO!"

Fox: "Well, gentlemen, I don't think this is going to work out. Thanks for the opportunity of coming in to talk with you."

Elway: "Our pleasure."

BroncoStud
01-11-2011, 09:09 PM
Yes, I would.

Fox's conservative offenses and solid defenses have done more than Shanahan/Kubiak/Dennison have in the same time period.

His teams also know what to do when the game turns into a street fight. I don't want a finesse West Coast offense back in Denver.

If we could pair the two I could find it easier to swallow.

I'm not excited about anyone we've talked to or anyone that's been mentioned to be honest, I just don't think we should be trying to rekindle the old romance.

Shanahan has 2 rings, Fox has 0. Fox is a mediocre coach, he is .500 for his career. Fox won 2 games this year and was run out of town.

A HELL of a resume!

What IF, and I mean what IF Rick Dennison is his OWN coach? The guy is smart, very smarty. He's seen what works and what doesn't. He's coached ALL sides of the ball. He has experience as a player and a coach. What IF his time as an assistant has taught him how to improve on the things that Shanahan and Kubiak stubbornly keep doing? It's not like we are hiring either of them, as fas as I know it was Rick Dennison who interviewed today.

No thanks, Dennison please. At least our offense won't put us to sleep.

dogfish
01-11-2011, 09:10 PM

no one can say it's not a possible outcome. . . we could hire a guy off the street and he could possibly prove to be better than belichick and lombardi. . .

what we should be concerned with is probable outcomes, and hiring a guy from a coaching tree that is historically weak on the defensive side of the ball (a guy who has learned under coaches who are allergic to defense, whose most obvious connections are to bad DCs), there's just no good reason to expect him to fix the most glaring problem with the team. . .

with a lot of the other candidates, there's more to point to than just hope. . . we can actually look at fox's tenure in carolina and see that his defenses only finished below 15th in scoring once in nine years-- that there is concrete evidence. . . we can look at ron rivera, and see what he did as DC for both the bears and chargers. . . etc etc. . .

with dennison, there's nothing but hope-- and while hope is certainly a valuable commodity, it shouldn't rank nearly as high as proven experience and results when you're hiring a guy to a position this important. . . at least, that's my opinion. . .

Cugel
01-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Well.. hiring Dennison does not mean that we HAVE to be like that.

We hire Dennison... get two strong co-ordinatorrs.. OC and DC...

A balanced team? Is it that far fetched to think Elway is not considering this?```

Because EVERY new HC wants to be able to hire his OWN offensive and defensive coordinators. They have to take the blame if the team falters, so they ALL want "their" guys in those positions. And there's where all the trouble starts.

THE BIGGEST problem with HCs is that they tend to ALL be total CONTROL-FREAKS.

Exhibits: "A" -- Dan Reeves.
"B" -- Mike Shanahan
"C" -- Josh McDaniels

Every one of them fired a DC or OC because the guy tried to be "too independent" and do his job without letting the HC micro-manage everything.

It's just a rare guy with the humility to bring in an expert like Mike Nolan and just let him coach. FAR more likely is what McDaniels did. FIRE him immediately after he tries to implement his OWN ideas instead of doing everything that McDaniels wants. :coffee:

PAINTERDAVE
01-11-2011, 09:16 PM
no one can say it's not a possible outcome. . . we could hire a guy off the street and he could possibly prove to be better than belichick and lombardi. . .

what we should be concerned with is probable outcomes, and hiring a guy from a coaching tree that is historically weak on the defensive side of the ball (a guy who has learned under coaches who are allergic to defense, whose most obvious connections are to bad DCs), there's just no good reason to expect him to fix the most glaring problem with the team. . .

with a lot of the other candidates, there's more to point to than just hope. . . we can actually look at fox's tenure in carolina and see that his defenses only finished below 15th in scoring once in nine years-- that there is concrete evidence. . . we can look at ron rivera, and see what he did as DC for both the bears and chargers. . . etc etc. . .

with dennison, there's nothing but hope-- and while hope is certainly a valuable commodity, it shouldn't rank nearly as high as proven experience and results when you're hiring a guy to a position this important. . . at least, that's my opinion. . .

Point taken... however...
if Elway is calling the shots...
with his ass on the line..
I dont see where The whole FO ignores the defense.

I just dont think... no matter who they hire...
that they did not LEARN from the past.

Ignoring defense any longer on this team is just NOT an option.

Cugel
01-11-2011, 09:18 PM
Once again, this totally depends on DENNISON and whether he's willing to hire a really STRONG DC and let him create his own defense.

If you hire a DC as HC you're going to have the same problem in REVERSE -- i.e. the guy will build a strong defense, but offensively he's likely to be very conservative and vanilla on OFFENSE.

That's Fox's problem. And you need BOTH a high-powered OFFENSE AND DEFENSE to win the SB.

I think it really takes a certain personality who's open to letting his assistant coaches COACH and just run the team (and the offense).

Cugel
01-11-2011, 09:20 PM
Ignoring defense any longer on this team is just NOT an option.

That's why you give the final word on player personnel decisions to Xanders & Elway and NOT the HC.

That says NOTHING about whether the new coach is a former DC or OC. Either would work, so long as the people making draft day decisions make the right choices (i.e. get some DL)!

BroncoStud
01-11-2011, 09:23 PM
I'd like to know how much input Belichek has with the offense...

Denver Native (Carol)
01-11-2011, 09:23 PM
Dennison played LB for the Broncos. Now, I realize that because he played on defense, that does not mean he is an instant defensive genius; however, with him playing on that side of the ball, I would imagine he totally understands how important defense is to a team.

PAINTERDAVE
01-11-2011, 09:24 PM
Because EVERY new HC wants to be able to hire his OWN offensive and defensive coordinators. They have to take the blame if the team falters, so they ALL want "their" guys in those positions. And there's where all the trouble starts.

THE BIGGEST problem with HCs is that they tend to ALL be total CONTROL-FREAKS.

Exhibits: "A" -- Dan Reeves.
"B" -- Mike Shanahan
"C" -- Josh McDaniels

Every one of them fired a DC or OC because the guy tried to be "too independent" and do his job without letting the HC micro-manage everything.

It's just a rare guy with the humility to bring in an expert like Mike Nolan and just let him coach. FAR more likely is what McDaniels did. FIRE him immediately after he tries to implement his OWN ideas instead of doing everything that McDaniels wants. :coffee:

Which may be why Dennison is a good fit...
a team player who will WANT to succeed and win instead of just looking good.

McD was not as concerned with winning as he was with looking like an offensive genius.

Sure he wanted to win on Sunday...
but look at what he did.

He blew up the offense..
ignored the defense...
took Moreno over Orakpo...
The next year he took two offensive guys in the first round...

he OBVIOUSLY built the team around his own ego..
wanted to be seen as an offensive genius...
When it came right down to it...
flashy stats were more important to him than team and winning.

I think the 2011 Broncos will go a more balanced direction.

BroncoStud
01-11-2011, 09:32 PM
I bet nobody expected to be having a John Fox vs Rick Dennison debate when this coaching search began...

HORSEPOWER 56
01-11-2011, 09:38 PM
I bet nobody expected to be having a John Fox vs Rick Dennison debate when this coaching search began...

Actually, I figured Kubiak would get fired in Houston and be hired in Denver the next day (much to my personal dismay). I'm actually surprised that we've shown as much restraint not overpaying or jumping on the first guy we interviewed. We obviously learned something form the McDaniels debacle. Unfortunately, we still didn't learn the most important lesson... HIRE A REAL GM and let him hire the HC.

I love John Elway, but neither he nor Xanders is really the guy I was hoping would be heading up the search for the new HC...

dogfish
01-11-2011, 09:44 PM
I'd like to know how much input Belichek has with the offense...

as much as he needs to. . . when weis left, it was reported that bill basically ran the offense for a year or two, until he could get josh up to speed and be sure that he (bill) trusted mcD. . . they went through the same process when mcD left, IIRC. . . i'd have to research it to get the details. . .

gobroncsnv
01-11-2011, 10:07 PM
Point to John Harbaugh's accomplishment or Reheem Morris' for that matter before getting a similar post...I'll be waiting.

Well, without looking much up, I don't know what either did... but seriously, I'm just not inspired by this one... not to be argumentative, Lord knows we've had plenty of that to go around...
So back to what I was getting at, I don't know what the buzz is on Dennison... just an honest comment. If there is more info available, would love to hear it, because I can't point to much that Dennison has done. If they hire the guy, what's the motivation? I get that he's got history here, but nothing really stellar stands out to me. I get that he knows what the Broncos mean to the area, but I'm hoping that the coach would get the fans back by building up a winning team, not just someone who knows what LoDo used to look like before the urban renewal that took place on Blake Street. Hoping this is viewed by the FO as more than a community relations move, and not going for a "comfort" play here.
So if there is stuff out that about Dennison that lights anyone up, I'm looking for some hope here.

BigSarge87
01-11-2011, 10:19 PM

I sit down when I pee. Is that bad? It's mostly just so I can justify some more time to play Angry Birds on my Droid.

Sorry, that was so three pages ago.

Slick
01-11-2011, 10:33 PM
Shanahan has 2 rings, Fox has 0. Fox is a mediocre coach, he is .500 for his career. Fox won 2 games this year and was run out of town.

A HELL of a resume!

What IF, and I mean what IF Rick Dennison is his OWN coach? The guy is smart, very smarty. He's seen what works and what doesn't. He's coached ALL sides of the ball. He has experience as a player and a coach. What IF his time as an assistant has taught him how to improve on the things that Shanahan and Kubiak stubbornly keep doing? It's not like we are hiring either of them, as fas as I know it was Rick Dennison who interviewed today.

No thanks, Dennison please. At least our offense won't put us to sleep.

Shanahan got his two rings with a hall of fame QB, stud running back, a bunch of hungry veterans and an opportunistic defense. Plus, that was a lifetime ago. He's done shit since, same with Kubiak and Dennison.

I know you don't like Jon Fox. That's fine. I'm not saying he's some all world coach or anything.

You can hope that Rick won't repeat the mistakes of the past, and enjoy your mildly exciting offense until a team like the Steelers, Ravens, Jets, Chargers come to town. They'll just continue to punch us in the mouth.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-11-2011, 10:36 PM
You can hope that Rick won't repeat the mistakes of the past, and enjoy your mildly exciting offense until a team like the Steelers, Ravens, Jets, Chargers come to town. They'll just continue to punch us in the mouth.

QFT. :werd:

dogfish
01-11-2011, 10:38 PM

at least we'll run the ball for more than 4.0 yards per carry. . . . :laugh:

Slick
01-11-2011, 10:43 PM
at least we'll run the ball for more than 4.0 yards per carry. . . . :laugh:

. . . until we get inside the 20's.

BeefStew25
01-11-2011, 11:06 PM
Slick, trust the process. And pray for Joe Ellis to get fired.

gobroncsnv
01-11-2011, 11:44 PM
Dennison played LB for the Broncos. Now, I realize that because he played on defense, that does not mean he is an instant defensive genius; however, with him playing on that side of the ball, I would imagine he totally understands how important defense is to a team.

Well, I would imagine that Singletary knew the importance of D as well, but the Whiners cut him loose. And to me, there aren't many LB's at all that I would put in the same class with Mike. But there have been a great number of coaches who had better tenures than he did.
But again, Dennison seems to be a likable guy, I'm just not getting the buzz about why he'd be a good coach.
We'll see how this goes, and maybe he interviews well. Whoever it is, I'm gonna pull for them, no doubt...
But as I've said elsewhere, this team's largest problems have been the front office for quite a few years. Hoping 7 gets the lapses in judgement turned around. Whoever becomes the coach, it's up to the FO to give him something to work with.