PDA

View Full Version : How bad has Denver screwed up the HC signing?

lgenf
01-11-2011, 09:22 AM
So ESPN is reporting that Rivera is a done deal, minus some small details, so looking around it does seem that Denver has missed out on several of the HOT and KEY coaches that were out there for the picking.

I am not saying they missed out on everyone, and my personal opinion is that they should go out and get B Shotty (and I understand that not everyone agrees with that) just my opinion.

so how bad has Denver screwed the pooch on this?

BroncoJoe
01-11-2011, 09:29 AM
Can we at least wait until they actually make a hire?

TXBRONC
01-11-2011, 09:30 AM
Exactly how have the Broncos screwed up when they haven't even hired a head coach?

rcsodak
01-11-2011, 09:44 AM
Exactly how have the Broncos screwed up when they haven't even hired a head coach?

Well, they WERE the 3rd team to fire their HC, and to date, both those teams PLUS 2 teams, have filled the position.

But hey, I'm sure John will keep us all in the loop. :coffee:

Rusty Shackleford
01-11-2011, 09:48 AM
If we hired the 1st person we interviewed people would be freaking out because we didn't take our time. Let's stop over reacting.

cardoso
01-11-2011, 09:56 AM
Well, they WERE the 3rd team to fire their HC, and to date, both those teams PLUS 2 teams, have filled the position.

and the two teams that fired their coach before us already had their head coach as the interm so the hiring wasn't that hard.

Plus all the other team didn't have to hire a new front office like denver has (elway) They had to get the front office done, before they can get the coach hire done. It's really that simple.

and since when is Rivera the next best thing since sliced bread?

Slick
01-11-2011, 09:59 AM
I don't think we've screwed up anything yet.

TXBRONC
01-11-2011, 10:01 AM

Ok, but McDaniels was fired with four weeks left to go in the season and don't forget they've been working on changing the hierarchy that did take time to set up.

lgenf
01-11-2011, 10:22 AM
I am not freaking out, and yes we do not want to hire the first person we would interview and yes you want to make the best decision for your team and yes until they actually hire someone we won't know if that was good in everyone's opinion or bad (and then you actually play the games and that decides if it truely was a good decision or not)

but it sure does seem like this to me (again only my opinion)

by dragging their feet and not hiring Elway sooner, that delayed looking for a coach - had they hired John after letting McD go he would have been in place right at the end of the season like other NFL execs and would have allowed for an immediate focus on coaching as soon as the season ended (as other teams did) but the short delay seems to have put Denver slightly behind the other teams (and no I am not considering the two teams that hired their interim coaches MINN/DALLAS in this, they had their coaches on staff and made it happen).

I does seem that the teams that went "outside" to fill their vacancies are making strong decisions and it seems that the 19th is a long way away still.

now if you are keyed onto an asst coach that is still playing in the playoffs then that is another story..........which is what I am hoping for.

lgenf
01-11-2011, 10:24 AM
Ok, but McDaniels was fired with four weeks left to go in the season and don't forget they've been working on changing the hierarchy that did take time to set up.

but they didn't change that much, they hired Elway, and told Xanders he's going to keep his job, let's be honest here, it's not like they revamped the front office or did a complete restructuring, they only hired 1 guy (and that could have been done before the end of the season because John wasn't doing anything)

Northman
01-11-2011, 10:31 AM
Until we hire an actual coach and he fails we havent screwed up anything. For all we know Rivera could go to Carolina and totally suck ass. Same with Harbaugh in SF.

Superchop 7
01-11-2011, 10:32 AM
So far, not a problem....we can still get Dennison for HC/offense and Fox for defense.

The key is to make sure Fox doesn't have a say in offense.....period.

Give him the entire draft this year for defense.

I could see it working for a long time.

MasterShake
01-11-2011, 10:39 AM
Mike Smith, head coach of the Atlanta Falcons. Was he a hot name at the time he was hired? You just never know how a coach will work out, short or long term. If the world would have ended when we were 6-0 under Josh McDaniels, we would have all died happy. Not only should we wait until after we hire a coach to see how we feel, its gonna be at least 2 seasons before the system and players are up to snuff.

Nomad
01-11-2011, 10:39 AM
I don't believe you can say the BRONCOS failed, but I would have like to seen Rivera get an interview! I guess it wasn't meant to be, so moving on!!

TXBRONC
01-11-2011, 10:41 AM
Just because they haven't hired someone right now does mean they are dragging their feet. You're entitlted to feel that way but I don't see it.

lgenf
01-11-2011, 10:52 AM
Just because they haven't hired someone right now does mean they are dragging their feet. You're entitlted to feel that way but I don't see it.

yeah that is all it is, my feeling

it just doesn't seem to me that they are getting the amount of interviews or something like that.

if there is a job opening 1 of 32 in the world and you want the best guy for the job, it just seems like you would want to interview a good group to make that decision and I don't know anymore about Rivera, Fox, etc etc then we get to know from their history so we have no idea how the interviews are going once they get them in the door, but it seems like they aren't even getting them in the door.........

Dzone
01-11-2011, 10:55 AM
Seems odd that some of these guys arent even coming here to look around. You would think they would come and interview, if nothing more than leverage .

lgenf
01-11-2011, 10:57 AM
Seems odd that some of these guys arent even coming here to look around. You would think they would come and interview, if nothing more than leverage .

I think that is also part of it - we aren't even getting interviews with some of these top prospects

Ravage!!!
01-11-2011, 11:27 AM
who are the "Hot" and "Key" coaches we've missed on?

TXBRONC
01-11-2011, 11:27 AM

I think that is also part of it - we aren't even getting interviews with some of these top prospects

Coaching prospects are staying away because they worry about being stocked by you two. :heh:

J/K

Warhawk
01-11-2011, 11:45 AM
who are the "Hot" and "Key" coaches we've missed on?

I'm wondering that as well. Harbaugh clearly wanted to stay in SF, so why bother? Rivera's had plenty of shots at the big chair in the past and didn't get them, which leads me to think there is some downside to him that isn't manifested in his DC stats.

Complaining about the hires in Dallas and Minny is just stupid. Those were internal promotions.

Anyway, if we can't hold off on griping until we see the product on the field, at least wait to see who gets hired and the quality of the coaching staff they assemble.

BeefStew25
01-11-2011, 12:05 PM
So ESPN is reporting that Rivera is a done deal, minus some small details, so looking around it does seem that Denver has missed out on several of the HOT and KEY coaches that were out there for the picking.

I am not saying they missed out on everyone, and my personal opinion is that they should go out and get B Shotty (and I understand that not everyone agrees with that) just my opinion.

so how bad has Denver screwed the pooch on this?

Muschamp may suck. UF screwed the pooch.

BroncoWave
01-11-2011, 12:05 PM
I really don't get why so many people have such a hard-on for Rivera. There is probably a good reason he has been interviewed 9 times and never offered a job.

slim
01-11-2011, 12:09 PM
I really don't get why so many people have such a hard-on for Rivera. There is probably a good reason he has been interviewed 9 times and never offered a job.

The Rooney Rule.

Ravage!!!
01-11-2011, 12:22 PM
10 of the 12 playoff coaches never had any HC experience prior to the team they are coachign now. Harbaugh never was higher than a special teams coordinator. I say this here, because we haven't missed or passed on some "hot" commodity. Harbaugh was never going anywhere other than San Fran, and Rivera likes warm weather (shrug). So what?

I can't believe you guys think we are running so far behind simply because we haven't hired a coach in 7 days.

lgenf
01-11-2011, 12:53 PM
and now there is a report that Williams has cancelled his interview with the team.

so another one that was mentioned as a possible HC doesn't even want to come here to interview - are you kidding

Every Asst coach in the NFL would jump at the chance to be a HC anywhere, the money, their own EGO, everything points to it

hell even if you only last two years, the cash you get from the contract in buyouts alone is enough to set you up, and if you were a good OC or DC then you always have that to fall back on.

lgenf
01-11-2011, 12:55 PM
Muschamp may suck. UF screwed the pooch.

and that has nothing to do with THIS post - go troll in another thread......

slim
01-11-2011, 12:59 PM
and now there is a report that Williams has cancelled his interview with the team.

so another one that was mentioned as a possible HC doesn't even want to come here to interview - are you kidding

Every Asst coach in the NFL would jump at the chance to be a HC anywhere, the money, their own EGO, everything points to it

hell even if you only last two years, the cash you get from the contract in buyouts alone is enough to set you up, and if you were a good OC or DC then you always have that to fall back on.

Completely untrue.

There are numerous coordinators that have passed on HC jobs/interviews.

Hell, Shanny passed on the Broncos job when Reeves was fired (didn't think he was ready). It happens sometimes.

BroncoWave
01-11-2011, 01:03 PM
Completely untrue.

There are numerous coordinators that have passed on HC jobs/interviews.

Hell, Shanny passed on the Broncos job when Reeves was fired (didn't think he was ready). It happens sometimes.

Jason Garret also turned down the Ravens job a few years ago. Happens all the time.

And just this week McDaniels supposedly turned down an interview to be the 49ers HC.

BeefStew25
01-11-2011, 01:44 PM
and that has nothing to do with THIS post - go troll in another thread......

My point is none of us know shit. Sit in the front noob.

BroncoJoe
01-11-2011, 02:15 PM
My point is none of us know shit. Sit in the front noob.

Beef, you've been around long enough to realize there are dozens of football knowledgeable people posting here that know more than anyone employed by the NFL or it's teams.