View Full Version : Dennison interviews for Broncos coaching job today

TXBRONC
01-11-2011, 09:19 AM
Dennison interviews for Broncos coaching job today
24 years as Broncos player and coach could boost candidacy
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 01/11/2011 01:00:00 AM MST

If comfort comes from what we know, Rick Dennison has a great chance to become the Broncos' next head coach.

A longtime Broncos player and assistant coach, Dennison will interview for the team's head coaching job today, as will Jacksonville Jaguars offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter.

Dennison played for the Broncos as a linebacker and special-teams stalwart from 1982-90. He then joined Mike Shanahan's staff with the Broncos in 1995. Even after Shanahan was fired following the 2008 season, Dennison stayed with the Broncos for one more season under Josh McDaniels before becoming offensive coordinator for Gary Kubiak in Houston. That's 24 seasons with the Broncos.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17060662

If Dennison becomes the next head coach I bet our running game improves and hopefully he can find the right guy to run the defense.

Mike
01-11-2011, 09:33 AM
Can someone explain to me what he has done that qualifies him to run the team?

TXBRONC
01-11-2011, 09:36 AM

What qualified guys like Harbaugh, Smith, and most especially Raheem Morris?

jrelway
01-11-2011, 09:54 AM
id love to have dennison as our coach. btw, whats bobby turner doing these days? Id love for these guys to work together again.

cardoso
01-11-2011, 09:57 AM
eh not too high on him. I'd love him as an Oline coach here but not sure about the head coach job.

Slick
01-11-2011, 09:58 AM
I'm pretty sure we're the only team that has even considered him.

I hope he bombs.

Stay in Houston with Kubiak, Rick.

Skinny
01-11-2011, 10:05 AM
He's not my first choice but good luck to him. He's earned his coaching stripes in my opinion and will get his shot soon enough. If it's for the Broncos, then so be it.

TXBRONC
01-11-2011, 10:08 AM
I'm pretty sure we're the only team that has even considered him.

I hope he bombs.

Stay in Houston with Kubiak, Rick.

You're such a negative Nancy. :tsk: ;)

TXBRONC
01-11-2011, 10:12 AM
He's not my first choice but good luck to him. He's earned his coaching stripes in my opinion and will get his shot soon enough. If it's for the Broncos, then so be it.

I don't know if he'll get the job but if he does then I hope does well.

Mike
01-11-2011, 10:17 AM

Something other than getting by on the good ol boy system would be my guess. :coffee:

Superchop 7
01-11-2011, 10:20 AM
He has proven that he is a "very" good coach. (Try building an o-line the year "before" Clady)

He has proven his ability to be respected by his players.

He has proven his ability to work with management.

Not an "ego" guy.

One of the few that can coach ZBS.

Under our current Front Office structure, he is a great fit.

Smart enough to hire a DC like Fox and leave him alone.

Highest IQ in football. (mensa smart)

Bleeds blue and orange.

Defensive background in 3-4 and 4-3 scheme.

BroncoJoe
01-11-2011, 10:22 AM
Offensive minded coach with a defensive and special teams background. I wouldn't mind seeing him back here.

Mike
01-11-2011, 10:35 AM
He has proven that he is a "very" good coach. (Try building an o-line the year "before" Clady)

He has proven his ability to be respected by his players.

He has proven his ability to work with management.

Not an "ego" guy.

One of the few that can coach ZBS.

Under our current Front Office structure, he is a great fit.

Smart enough to hire a DC like Fox and leave him alone.

Highest IQ in football. (mensa smart)

Bleeds blue and orange.

Defensive background in 3-4 and 4-3 scheme.

He inherited what Gibbs installed and the veterans ran it. Once those guys retired, the o-line began to decline.

ST sucked when he coached them.

He was hired by Kubes, but Kubes built that offense and runs it. So his OC exprerience is in essence being a glorified clipboard holder.

Don't know about the players relationship with him, so you may be right.

I admit that his lack of ego is appealing, but I don't know that that is enough to be a HC.

When I look at him all I see is a guy who has gotten by by being in the good ol boy system.

Nomad
01-11-2011, 10:36 AM
Offensive minded coach with a defensive and special teams background. I wouldn't mind seeing him back here.

You more than likely will!! I hope he brings the BRONCOS back to their winning ways!!

Dzone
01-11-2011, 10:37 AM
wasnt Dennison in 2nd place the year we hired Mcd?....Dennison is destined for greatness

Agent of Orange
01-11-2011, 10:39 AM

He's seen the game from a lot of perspectives. He played defense, has coached special teams, the offensive line, and has been an offensive coordinator. He's highly regarded by a lot of ex-Broncos, so from that, you can make the inference that he's someone who is smart and easy to work with. Whether or not all the units he coached were great or not doesnt mean that his diverse background has no value.

Dzone
01-11-2011, 10:40 AM
great rapport with Elway

Dirk
01-11-2011, 10:44 AM
wasnt Dennison in 2nd place the year we hired Mcd?....Dennison is destined for greatness

Hard to say. I read somewhere that Frazier was 2nd.

Mike
01-11-2011, 10:46 AM

Seeing as how good McD turned out, is this really good for him? :confused:

Bozo Jr.
01-11-2011, 10:52 AM
One things for sure, Mr. Dennison has always looked good
in the Orange and Blue! :salute:

Good Luck Rick!!! :beer:

Dzone
01-11-2011, 10:58 AM
Doesnt Dennison have the highest IQ in the NFL?
I would like to some Dennison press conferences and interviews

TXBRONC
01-11-2011, 10:59 AM
Something other than getting by on the good ol boy system would be my guess. :coffee:

Morris must have.

I also think it's unfair to say that he would get the job based on the good ol boy system. If that was the case they would have hired him the last time around.

Superchop 7
01-11-2011, 11:17 AM
He inherited what Gibbs installed and the veterans ran it. Once those guys retired, the o-line began to decline.

He was hired by Kubes, but Kubes built that offense and runs it. So his OC exprerience is in essence being a glorified clipboard holder.

I admit that his lack of ego is appealing, but I don't know that that is enough to be a HC.

When I look at him all I see is a guy who has gotten by by being in the good ol boy system.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

Sure, he inherited Gibbs system......he also was the first to "understand" McDaniels system.

Look back to the year "before" we got Clady....that was a bunch of losers that he whipped into shape. (Damn good coaching)

His offense was very good this year in Houston....UNDRAFTED running back led the league in rushing.

McDaniels "inherited" the number 2 offense in the league and ran it into the ground.

Wink "inherited" a decent defense.....now it's 31st.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion......lord knows I trashed the hiring of McDaniels from the start.

But, I am convinced we would have a top ten offense with Dennison.

I am convinced Fox could get us a top ten defense (in 2 years)

I am convinced that Dennison is not the ego maniac that Josh was.

I see us gaining ground in a hurry.

I like the idea that if Kubes gets fired he would work under Dennison. (gladly)

Sure, it would be great to get a Cowher......but that is not going to happen......

Dealing with the hand we are dealt......

He is my guy.

P.S. And if he can get the Goodmans back.......

slim
01-11-2011, 11:19 AM

The ST sucked during the SB years?

You might want to rethink that.

TXBRONC
01-11-2011, 11:24 AM

I don't see a problem with inherting someone elses system especially when you consider that in that the last two or three years Dennison was in Denver 4 of the 5 starters we have right now in that time period.

arapaho2
01-11-2011, 11:39 AM
dennisen will be a solid pickup as coach

the guy was a defensive player in the league, played TE in college...has expirience in special teams, oline and as overall OC and he knows what denver bronco football is

he has been around enough to know what makes a coach succesful...and what doesnt

he has the respect of the players

based on the alternatives we seem to be interested in...he is ok in my book

T.K.O.
01-11-2011, 11:47 AM
fox' interview postponed ,due to bad weather:confused:

GEM
01-11-2011, 11:52 AM
fox' interview postponed ,due to bad weather:confused:

I hope they postpone it to NEVER. :coffee:

slim
01-11-2011, 11:53 AM
He has had success in every job he has had.

His ST were very good...anyone remember Vaughn Hebron and Darrien Gordon? In fact, when Rick was moved to coach the OL, the ST started to deteriorate (under Frank Bush) and they have been pretty bad ever since.

I thought he did a excellent job coaching the OL. As superchop said, Rick is one of the few people that can effectively coach the ZBS. In other words, he has mastered Gibbs system.

The success he has had in Houston speaks for itself. Lance Ball and Moreno would both be viable starting RBs under Dennison.

In addition to that, he is one of the smartest guys in the league (they don't give engineering degrees to just anyone).

I also like the fact that he is not really a defensive or offensive guru (not an offensive or defensive "genius", ala McD, etc). This gives me great hope that he will hire quality coaches for both coordinator positions and then let them coach (I am not a big fan of head coaches that try to do too much….calling plays, etc.).

Dirk
01-11-2011, 11:54 AM
I hope they postpone it to NEVER. :coffee:

It's a sign :coffee:

GEM
01-11-2011, 11:55 AM

His ST were very good...anyone remember Vaughn Hebron and Darrien Gordon? In fact, when Rick was moved to coach the OL, the ST started to deteriorate (under Frank Bush) and they have been pretty bad ever since.

I thought he did a excellent job coaching the OL. As superchop said, Rick is one of the few people that can effectively coach the ZBS. In other words, he has mastered Gibbs system.

The success he has had in Houston speaks for itself. Lance Ball and Moreno would both be viable starting RBs under Dennison.

In addition to that, he is one of the smartest guys in the league (they don't give engineering degrees to just anyone).

I also like the fact that he is not really a defensive or offensive guru (not an offensive or defensive "genius", ala McD, etc). This gives me great hope that he will hire quality coaches for both coordinator positions and then let them coach (I am not a big fan of head coaches that try to do too much….calling plays, etc.).

Slim, I could kiss you right now. :lol:

Ravage!!!
01-11-2011, 12:17 PM

All good points. There are a lot of good coaches in the playoffs right now, that didn't have HC jobs before taking over the teams they are coaching now. Tomlin, Ryan, Reid, McCarthy, Haley, Payton, Smith, Smith, Harbaugh, & Caldwell.

10 of the 12 playoff teams, have coaches that didnt' have HC experience before taking over the HC job for their respective teams. Harbaugh was never higher than a special teams coordinator. The only two coaches that had prior HC experience, are Belicheck and Carrol (although I'm not sure we should count Caldwell, since Manning is basically the coach over there).

The more I look at Dennison, the more I think he is the right pick. It always comes down to how the leader surrounds himself. That is something McD didn't understand and why he completely and absolutely failed...miserably.

dogfish
01-11-2011, 12:18 PM
god save us all. . . .

:fear:

underrated29
01-11-2011, 12:29 PM
Hey, at least I am not on suicide watch.

red98
01-11-2011, 01:14 PM
All good points. There are a lot of good coaches in the playoffs right now, that didn't have HC jobs before taking over the teams they are coaching now. Tomlin, Ryan, Reid, McCarthy, Haley, Payton, Smith, Smith, Harbaugh, & Caldwell.

10 of the 12 playoff teams, have coaches that didnt' have HC experience before taking over the HC job for their respective teams. Harbaugh was never higher than a special teams coordinator. The only two coaches that had prior HC experience, are Belicheck and Carrol (although I'm not sure we should count Caldwell, since Manning is basically the coach over there).

The more I look at Dennison, the more I think he is the right pick. It always comes down to how the leader surrounds himself. That is something McD didn't understand and why he completely and absolutely failed...miserably.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dennison was hired today or tomorrow.

dogfish
01-11-2011, 01:17 PM
Hey, at least I am not on suicide watch.

cool, you can watch for me. . . .

talk me off the ledge, man!!

TXBRONC
01-11-2011, 01:23 PM

You're not going to get hurt to bad standing on a dog house.:lol:

dogfish
01-11-2011, 01:24 PM
You're not going to get hurt to bad standing on a dog house.:lol:

i live on the 5th floor. . .

:shocked:

slim
01-11-2011, 01:24 PM

Dog, you are turning into clay v2.0. Stop it.

There is nowhere to go but up (or maybe sideways)!

Ravage!!!
01-11-2011, 01:25 PM

then be sure to go head first... because if you go feet first, you stand a very good chance of surviving... but with a lot of pain and broken shit. :beer:

TXBRONC
01-11-2011, 01:35 PM

Well I did say a dog house not your actual place of residence. :D

dogfish
01-11-2011, 01:36 PM
Dog, you are turning into clay v2.0. Stop it.

There is nowhere to go but up (or maybe sideways)!

slim, i can't handle three years of dennison. . . i can't take it!!

as much as he annoyed the shit out of everybody, clay was dead right about mcdaniels. . .

slim
01-11-2011, 01:39 PM
slim, i can't handle three years of dennison. . . i can't take it!!

as much as he annoyed the shit out of everybody, clay was dead right about mcdaniels. . .

Yeah, he was right (I still hate him, though).

C'mon, everybody's talking about ministers, sinisters, banisters and canisters...bishops and fishops and rabbis and pop eyes, and bye bye, bye byes....All I am saying is give Rick a chance.

underrated29
01-11-2011, 01:41 PM
Dogfish, as soon as we get confirmation that rico is our HC... I will run down there with a case of orange creme soda, dogfish beer ( a lot!) and a taxi to take us to that mexi place off of 119th or whatever.

This is your happy place.

dogfish
01-11-2011, 01:41 PM
All I am saying is give Rick a chance.

do i have a choice?

somebody wake me up if we ever hire a GM. . . .

:drinking:

TXBRONC
01-11-2011, 01:48 PM
Him getting an interview doesn't mean he'll get hired. He's already been down this road with Broncos and they passed they might again. I don't know if he would be a bad choice, but I would be willing to give him chance.

slim
01-11-2011, 01:50 PM
do i have a choice?

somebody wake me up if we ever hire a GM. . . .

:drinking:

Brian Xanders asked me to wake you up :welcome:

Lancane
01-11-2011, 01:56 PM

That would be messy! Would you really make that big of a mess for city workers to clean up...how selfish.

:lol:

underrated29
01-11-2011, 02:04 PM
I just watched the dennison video. I always thought he was black. Anyway- the vid didnt show much, just a minute about him talking. But I do get a good vibe about him. He seems like a smart, Tough, HC......I think he will be very good actually.

My main concern is with the defense. Still do not know who we will get as DC. Maybe we stick with Wink, I liked wink, but it is hard to know if winks defense sucked, it sucked because of Mcdaniels, or if its just plain lack of talent.

Dennison is my choice though, aside from longshots like gruden and or capers.

red98
01-11-2011, 02:08 PM
I just watched the dennison video. I always thought he was black. Anyway- the vid didnt show much, just a minute about him talking. But I do get a good vibe about him. He seems like a smart, Tough, HC......I think he will be very good actually.

My main concern is with the defense. Still do not know who we will get as DC. Maybe we stick with Wink, I liked wink, but it is hard to know if winks defense sucked, it sucked because of Mcdaniels, or if its just plain lack of talent.

I think if it's Dennison he will want a DC that's had head coaching experience.
Maybe Mangina if we stay 3/4, and maybe Mangina keeps Wink.

Lancane
01-11-2011, 02:18 PM

Dennison said he wants an aggressive defense, that's what Denver wants by the obvious candidate choices that are defensive minded. If that is so, I would say Mangini or Manusky are two viable candidates for the coordinator position.

Right now, I'm like you, I'm sold on Dennison being the next head coach, and I think Denver is to, or so I hope.

Agent of Orange
01-11-2011, 02:20 PM
Dennison said he wants an aggressive defense, that's what Denver wants by the obvious candidate choices that are defensive minded. If that is so, I would say Mangini or Manusky are two viable candidates for the coordinator position.

Right now, I'm like you, I'm sold on Dennison being the next head coach, and I think Denver is to, or so I hope.

Is Mangini really that aggressive? I dont really think its as aggressive as some.

dogfish
That would be messy! Would you really make that big of a mess for city workers to clean up...how selfish.

:lol:

what the hell else have i been paying taxes for all these years??

Agent of Orange

What video?

dogfish
01-11-2011, 02:21 PM

greg robinson's an aggressive DC. . . just sayin'. . .

:heh:

underrated29
01-11-2011, 02:21 PM

I have no problem with Mangina. He started bringing the Jets defense together.

underrated29
01-11-2011, 02:22 PM
What video?

ummm crap. There is a vid posted somewhere showing him at DIA and then about to interview at Dove valley, with elroy and such....

umm....I dont know man. Search it out, I think maybe on the main page of broncos.com?

BroncoJoe
01-11-2011, 02:23 PM

You mean our DC during our back to back superbowl wins?

Lancane
01-11-2011, 02:29 PM
what the hell else have i been paying taxes for all these years??

Tax returns, the second greatest thing to Christmas! :lol:

Superchop 7
01-11-2011, 02:35 PM
Slim, I could kiss you right now. :lol:

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

You might want to rub noses as cold as it is.

Just sayin.

T.K.O.
01-11-2011, 02:46 PM
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

Just sayin.

rub noses in what ? is there some secret to staying warm ?
it's freakin -1 here in montucky:mad:

Lancane
01-11-2011, 02:50 PM

He was more deceptive then aggressive in my honest opinion, and during the years he was the defensive coordinator, Dennison was in charge of special teams, other then coaching those few years together I don't see him turning to him compared to Nolan or Phillips or even someone from the Collier tree, those defensive minded individuals he knew for much longer.

Superchop 7
01-11-2011, 03:04 PM
It's an Eskimo thing.

ChairmanBron
01-11-2011, 03:08 PM
Here is Rico chatting while taking a ride from DIA to the Broncos facility.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/Coaching-Search-Dennison/ecee9db1-72ea-4746-8e0a-435aaaa9cb43

red98
01-11-2011, 03:38 PM

Manusky would be good. Rob Ryan may be available as well. I like him. I do think Rico wants at least one assistant with HC experience, if only to help sell himself to the Broncos brass.

Lancane
01-11-2011, 03:45 PM
Manusky would be good. Rob Ryan may be available as well. I like him. I do think Rico wants at least one assistant with HC experience, if only to help sell himself to the Broncos brass.

I wouldn't be surprised if Studesville was retained under Dennison in some capacity as well. Rob Ryan is another who could enter the list of aggressive defensive coordinators to come to Denver, maybe even Keith Butler could be a name we hear.

BroncoStud
01-11-2011, 03:52 PM
I hope Dennison gets hired today.

hotcarl
01-11-2011, 03:53 PM
we should all have sex :shocked:

slim
01-11-2011, 03:59 PM

Just sayin.

Are you using "noses" as some sort of euphemism?

DenBronx
01-11-2011, 04:03 PM
As much as I like Dennison I feel like we could be making a big mistake making him HC. He was the OC in Texas but Kubiak called the plays. Dennison really has never even been a play caller so I feel like he is really green and that's the last thing Denver needs right now. I would like him as OC/AHC but not HC.

Again, I truly LIKE Dennison but not so sure it's the smart thing. I could be wrong though.

TXBRONC
01-11-2011, 04:19 PM
As much as I like Dennison I feel like we could be making a big mistake making him HC. He was the OC in Texas but Kubiak called the plays. Dennison really has never even been a play caller so I feel like he is really green and that's the last thing Denver needs right now. I would like him as OC/AHC but not HC.

Again, I truly LIKE Dennison but not so sure it's the smart thing. I could be wrong though.

I don't if he any of the play calling duties or but what I do know is that he does have a lot experience in game planning. Even so if you surround yourself with good people you stand a very good chance of being successful.

Lancane
01-11-2011, 04:20 PM

Well look at the last head coach we hired that was considered a true offensive coordinator/offensive genius? The fact that Dennison knows all three phases makes him more prominent to be a solid head coach then someone that has focused his whole career on one single side of the ball. He won't overlook special teams as most tend to do more often, nor will he ignore the defense because he knows the importance of a solid defense, and a defensive minded coach may overlook Tebow's development, Dennison has seen the importance of that from Elway to Plummer, from Cutler to Schaub.

Do you believe that any of the other candidates are nearly as grounded in all three phases let alone know the importance of the other sides of ball compared to Dennison?

horsepig
01-11-2011, 04:23 PM

Righton Slim!

TXBRONC
01-11-2011, 04:25 PM
Well look at the last head coach we hired that was considered a true offensive coordinator/offensive genius? The fact that Dennison knows all three phases makes him more prominent to be a solid head coach then someone that has focused his whole career on one single side of the ball. He won't overlook special teams as most tend to do more often, nor will he ignore the defense because he knows the importance of a solid defense, and a defensive minded coach may overlook Tebow's development, Dennison has seen the importance of that from Elway to Plummer, from Cutler to Schaub.

Do you believe that any of the other candidates are nearly as grounded in all three phases let alone know the importance of the other sides of ball compared to Dennison?

Having been an offensive line coach I would think Dennison would appreciate the important of guys in the trenches on both sides of the ball.

underrated29
01-11-2011, 04:42 PM
That is a good question denbronx....

However, IMO he can not be any worse than the last two we have had in here.

Mccoy and Bates.

I know I might be the lone wolf here, but I was not fond of either of their playcalling. Both were predictable and both seemed to only want to work the outsides and sidelines. And only timing patterns.

It was rare that we worked crosses or middle of the field. And opposing linebackers never had to fear the 7 yard out range or more in the middle, which means that they can line up 7 out and still stuff the run while also shutting down any passes. I flipped out all year these past two years because of such things, let alone the complete predictability of it all.

Not saying it will happen, but perhaps Rico, being new to this, might just work the field instead of a system and open things up a bit more. YOu know, cant teach an old dog new tricks kinda thing. :huh: - Whoknows, but at least there is potential for some hope. For me anyhow.

red98
01-11-2011, 05:00 PM
That is a good question denbronx....

However, IMO he can not be any worse than the last two we have had in here.

Mccoy and Bates.

I know I might be the lone wolf here, but I was not fond of either of their playcalling. Both were predictable and both seemed to only want to work the outsides and sidelines. And only timing patterns.

It was rare that we worked crosses or middle of the field. And opposing linebackers never had to fear the 7 yard out range or more in the middle, which means that they can line up 7 out and still stuff the run while also shutting down any passes. I flipped out all year these past two years because of such things, let alone the complete predictability of it all.

Not saying it will happen, but perhaps Rico, being new to this, might just work the field instead of a system and open things up a bit more. YOu know, cant teach an old dog new tricks kinda thing. :huh: - Whoknows, but at least there is potential for some hope. For me anyhow.

Gotta disagree on Bates. He's a very imaginative play caller, doing well in Seattle. He'll be a hot coaching candidate in the next few years.

T.K.O.
01-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Are you using "noses" as some sort of euphemism?

apparently you are supposed to rub your nose in an eskimo pie....to make the rest of you feel warmer....i guess:confused:

T.K.O.
01-11-2011, 05:19 PM
did we hire a coach yet ? ive been away

Denver Native (Carol)
01-11-2011, 05:35 PM
From article:

Rick Dennison emerged from the shuttle train at Denver International Airport today wearing a dark pinstriped suit fit for any boardroom.

But he most certainly had his heart on his sleeve as well as he prepared for his interview for the Broncos head coaching job.

"I've known the Broncos forever," said Dennison, who played college football at Colorado State. "If it is (an advantage), that's great, I'll use that to the best of my abilities. I'm orange and blue all the way through. I just work in Houston now."

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17065867?source=rss

slim
01-11-2011, 05:42 PM
From the same article, in an interview with Dirk Koetter:

Koetter made it clear today that he's a big fan of Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow.

"He plays golf on the same golf course that I play on in Jacksonville, he's a good golfer," Koettner said. "Tim's a tremendous football player. He's definitely a quarterback still in the developmental phase. It's very difficult to step in from the type of offense he ran in college and step right in an NFL-style offense, but if anybody can get it done, I'd never sell Tim Tebow short."

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17065867?source=rss

TXBRONC
01-11-2011, 07:20 PM
If it was my choice I would hire Dennison because I'm familiar with him. I know that's not the best reason in the world but that's how I feel.

claymore
01-11-2011, 07:22 PM
If it was my choice I would hire Dennison because I'm familiar with him. I know that's not the best reason in the world but that's how I feel.

We know from experience that the sexy HC candidate can be a turd, so maybe the truth is in the middle.

PAINTERDAVE
01-11-2011, 07:39 PM

Dennison would fit in nicely with the setup the 2011 Broncos have.

silkamilkamonico
01-11-2011, 07:43 PM
How funny would it be if Denver hired Dennison, who was a distant afterthought a couple of years ago behind guys like McDaniels, Spagnuolo, Rex Ryan, Raheem Morris? Considering those were the new coaches that year, in retrospect just how bad did Bowlen screw up now with the mcDaniels hiring?

Is the coaching pool really that thin this year? Not a good year to be looking for a head coach.

Superchop 7
01-11-2011, 08:07 PM
On 104.3 Schlereth said that Dennison had the best interview in 08........better than Josh.

claymore
01-11-2011, 08:19 PM
On 104.3 Schlereth said that Dennison had the best interview in 08........better than Josh.

I wanna see what his power point was all about.

BeefStew25
01-11-2011, 08:24 PM
I wanna see what his power point was all about.

Hilarious Joe Ellis hired McD on his Microsoft Office abilities.

claymore
01-11-2011, 08:26 PM

Good thing office 2010 want out. He might have sold the team!

BeefStew25
01-11-2011, 08:44 PM
I love you Clay.

dogfish
01-11-2011, 09:01 PM

the chiefs, chargers and raiders were particularly amused. . .

BeefStew25
01-11-2011, 09:03 PM
the chiefs, chargers and raiders were particularly amused. . .

I am getting those McD headaches again.

broncofaninfla
01-11-2011, 09:41 PM
Of everybody we've interviewed so far he is by far my choice. Team him with a good DC and I'd bet $$$ it would work out.

Agent of Orange
01-11-2011, 11:02 PM
Of everybody we've interviewed so far he is by far my choice. Team him with a good DC and I'd bet $$$ it would work out.

Would John Fox qualify as a good DC?

JDL
01-12-2011, 01:54 AM

Morris coached his defenses to a top 5 and top 10 finish in consecutive years... Bucs failure wasn't on him it was on Gruden's offense and was a WIDELY respected candidate for head coach... Dennison's offense in Houston didn't score more than was generally the case with Kubiak...always right around that 380pts total except for his first year.

Harbaugh just turned around two collegiate programs that had ZERO recent success... USD was impressive enough but Stanford hadn't won more than 5 games I believe in a decade... and he just had an incredible year coaching them up..... when has Dennison done anything close?

JDL
01-12-2011, 01:55 AM
Would John Fox qualify as a good DC?

If Fox wanted to DC he'd go to an actual good team.. plenty are looking right now and willing... you don't think maybe San Diego would be a better fit? Just saying... and to get him you'll have to pay big dollars... more than it would probably take to get Dennison.. how's that supposed to work?

slim
01-12-2011, 09:57 AM
Morris coached his defenses to a top 5 and top 10 finish in consecutive years... Bucs failure wasn't on him it was on Gruden's offense and was a WIDELY respected candidate for head coach... Dennison's offense in Houston didn't score more than was generally the case with Kubiak...always right around that 380pts total except for his first year.

Harbaugh just turned around two collegiate programs that had ZERO recent success... USD was impressive enough but Stanford hadn't won more than 5 games I believe in a decade... and he just had an incredible year coaching them up..... when has Dennison done anything close?

Dude, Morris was never the DC. So saying he "coached his defenses to top 5 and top 10 finish in consecutive years" is disingenuous.

Dennison is far more qualified to be a HC than Morris was.

Agent of Orange
01-12-2011, 10:14 AM
If Fox wanted to DC he'd go to an actual good team.. plenty are looking right now and willing... you don't think maybe San Diego would be a better fit? Just saying... and to get him you'll have to pay big dollars... more than it would probably take to get Dennison.. how's that supposed to work?

I don't really agree with this fatalistic crusade of yours.

Mike
01-12-2011, 11:12 AM
Dude, Morris was never the DC. So saying he "coached his defenses to top 5 and top 10 finish in consecutive years" is disingenuous.

Dennison is far more qualified to be a HC than Morris was.

Morris didn't necessarily have to rebuild TB. The defense was set and to my knowledge is still following the defense that has been in place for years.

Essentially, they got healthy and they drafted a good QB. In other words, while he may be a good HC, IMO it remains to be seen.

Dennison will have to virtually undo all the crap McD did and rebuild the team. Could he do it? Sure, but there is nothing on his resume that suggests he is up to the task. He has never been put in a position where he had to do anything other than follow what has already been in place by other coaches.

Perhaps, you guys are right and he will delegate work to his OC/DC and allow his personnel men to make the personnel decisions. But, again, having no HC experience at any level, makes it a questionable move given the current situation of the Denver Broncos. And if I remember correctly, Elway himself said that they would look for someone who had HC experience. Not sure how that jives with Dennison.

I get that he is likable and that he has been around.

- I know that when we had Gordon/Hebron (1997-1998 in particular) returning the ball (both of which were exceptional at that duty) the ST was solid. Of course, the team overall was stacked during those years. However, from 1999-2000 the STs stunk.

- There is no evidence that he has mastered Gibbs scheme. O-line play in Denver steadily declined as the veterans who ran Gibbs scheme retired towards the end of Shanahan's tenure.

- The success in Houston should be credited to Kubiak. That offense was installed prior to Dennison and Kubiak has openly admitted that he calls the offensive plays for Houston (with the input of other coaches). Besides, the run game in Denver steadily declined towards the end of Shanahan's tenure here and there is nothing that says the system will be revitalized by Dennison.

The biggest thing going for him is that he doesn't seem to have an ego and is a smart person. Good qualities in a HC, especially given our last HC. However, I am just not certain how that makes him the best person for the job.

slim
01-12-2011, 11:23 AM
And if I remember correctly, Elway himself said that they would look for someone who had HC experience. Not sure how that jives with Dennison.

I agree with this. In fact, it applies to everyone they are interviewing, except John Fox. That is why I think Fox will get the job.

And maybe Fox is the best man for the job. As Elway said in his initial press conference, they are going to be a three man team...Elway, Xanders and the HC. I suppose it would be a good idea if at least one of them has some real experience.

I would prefer Dennison, but Fox would be my second choice.

TXBRONC
01-12-2011, 11:37 AM

Morris was the defensive backs coach so I seriously doubt that he was calling the defensive plays.

You know there is huge difference between the college and the pro ranks.

TXBRONC
01-12-2011, 11:40 AM
Morris didn't necessarily have to rebuild TB. The defense was set and to my knowledge is still following the defense that has been in place for years.

Essentially, they got healthy and they drafted a good QB. In other words, while he may be a good HC, IMO it remains to be seen.

Dennison will have to virtually undo all the crap McD did and rebuild the team. Could he do it? Sure, but there is nothing on his resume that suggests he is up to the task. He has never been put in a position where he had to do anything other than follow what has already been in place by other coaches.

Perhaps, you guys are right and he will delegate work to his OC/DC and allow his personnel men to make the personnel decisions. But, again, having no HC experience at any level, makes it a questionable move given the current situation of the Denver Broncos. And if I remember correctly, Elway himself said that they would look for someone who had HC experience. Not sure how that jives with Dennison.

I get that he is likable and that he has been around.

- I know that when we had Gordon/Hebron (1997-1998 in particular) returning the ball (both of which were exceptional at that duty) the ST was solid. Of course, the team overall was stacked during those years. However, from 1999-2000 the STs stunk.

- There is no evidence that he has mastered Gibbs scheme. O-line play in Denver steadily declined as the veterans who ran Gibbs scheme retired towards the end of Shanahan's tenure.

- The success in Houston should be credited to Kubiak. That offense was installed prior to Dennison and Kubiak has openly admitted that he calls the offensive plays for Houston (with the input of other coaches). Besides, the run game in Denver steadily declined towards the end of Shanahan's tenure here and there is nothing that says the system will be revitalized by Dennison.

The biggest thing going for him is that he doesn't seem to have an ego and is a smart person. Good qualities in a HC, especially given our last HC. However, I am just not certain how that makes him the best person for the job.

Mike whomever Denver hires is going to have question marks.

Mike
01-12-2011, 12:01 PM
Mike whomever Denver hires is going to have question marks.

I don't disagree with that. I just would rather have someone with less question marks.

getlynched47
01-12-2011, 12:12 PM

http://www.milehighreport.com/2011/1/11/1928547/denver-broncos-head-coaching-candidate-rick-dennison

Dennison was signed by the Broncos as an undrafted free agent in 1982, and played with Denver until 1990.

His playing career included 128 games (52 starts) and three Super Bowl appearances. The Broncos obviously didn't get over the hump until 1998, but even all the losing in Super Bowl games didn't stop Dennison from winning the Ed Block Courage Award in 1989, and a year before that he ranked second on the team with an astounding 133 tackles.

When Dennison took over as the special teams coach, Darrien Gordon and Jason Elam each made trips to the Pro Bowl as a return man and kicker respectively. He held the special teams position from 1997-2000, and then a dynasty began.

Denver's running game was great with Terrell Davis lining up behind John Elway and a fierce offensive line, but when Rick Dennison took over the line in 2001, he stayed there until he left after the 2009 season, and for good reason. With Dennison coaching the line, the Broncos' rushing attack put up over 135 yards per contest and averaged 4.5 yards per carry, good for 2nd and 3rd in the league over that span of time.

The facts say otherwise :coffee:

getlynched47
01-12-2011, 12:15 PM
Oh, and one last thing:

The Houston Texans' rushing attack ranked 30th in the league in 2009.

When Dennison went there, he fixed it to where it was ranked 7th in 2010.

That pretty much debunks the ignorant statement that all Dennison did was maintain the system Alex Gibbs left in 2001 here in Denver :coffee:

He can teach it just as good as the best.

Ravage!!!
01-12-2011, 12:15 PM
Yeah. I don't think that enough people are giving Dennison the credit he deserves.

Rick Dennison IS the new Denver Broncos HC, and even though I was hesitant initially, the more I look at his career in coaching and compare them to the HCs in the playoffs right now... I'm jumping on board the Dennison train.

Mike
01-12-2011, 12:18 PM
http://www.milehighreport.com/2011/1/11/1928547/denver-broncos-head-coaching-candidate-rick-dennison

The facts say otherwise :coffee:

Facts from a blog. :laugh: Are you freaking kidding me? Get that crap out of here.

Dennison was signed by the Broncos as an undrafted free agent in 1982, and played with Denver until 1990.

His playing career included 128 games (52 starts) and three Super Bowl appearances. The Broncos obviously didn't get over the hump until 1998, but even all the losing in Super Bowl games didn't stop Dennison from winning the Ed Block Courage Award in 1989, and a year before that he ranked second on the team with an astounding 133 tackles.

Doens't really qualify him as the HC.

When Dennison took over as the special teams coach, Darrien Gordon and Jason Elam each made trips to the Pro Bowl as a return man and kicker respectively. He held the special teams position from 1997-2000, and then a dynasty began.

:laugh:. Dynasty? Two exceptional position players doesn't quantify a good ST overall. I don't know how anyone could watch 99-00 and say we had a good overall ST.

Denver's running game was great with Terrell Davis lining up behind John Elway and a fierce offensive line, but when Rick Dennison took over the line in 2001, he stayed there until he left after the 2009 season, and for good reason. With Dennison coaching the line, the Broncos' rushing attack put up over 135 yards per contest and averaged 4.5 yards per carry, good for 2nd and 3rd in the league over that span of time.

The cut back/ZBS was undeniably effective and we were the best at it. But it was installed by Gibbs and run by vets who played for Gibbs. Dennison inheritted the position and the line arguably became less effective as those vets retired, most noticably towards the end of Shanahan's tenure.

Mike
01-12-2011, 12:20 PM
Oh, and one last thing:

The Houston Texans' rushing attack ranked 30th in the league in 2009.

When Dennison went there, he fixed it to where it was ranked 7th in 2010.

That pretty much debunks the ignorant statement that all Dennison did was maintain the system Alex Gibbs left in 2001 here in Denver :coffee:

He can teach it just as good as the best.

Certainly the productivity of Arian Foster and his Terrell Davis type of fitting into the one cut scheme had nothing to do it. :coffee:

It was Dennison, no doubt.

getlynched47
01-12-2011, 12:22 PM
The cut back/ZBS was undeniably effective and we were the best at it. But it was installed by Gibbs and run by vets who played for Gibbs. Dennison inheritted the position and the line arguably became less effective as those vets retired, most noticably towards the end of Shanahan's tenure.

To no fault of Rick Dennison.

You lose great players to declining play, you're bound to suffer some decline while you groom young talent.

We had our replacement for Nalen in Chris Myers, but Shanahan shipped him off to Houston.

Lepsis was declining, but Shanahan kept him in there as the starter through 2007. Same with Ben Hamilton (Through 2008, part of 2009 by McD).

But you also forget that Ryan Harris, Chris Kuper, and Ryan Clady had their best seasons under Rick Dennison.

Apparently, Rick Dennison doesn't deserve credit for his accomplishments :coffee:

Ravage!!!
01-12-2011, 12:22 PM

We had a good rushing attack, with the 7th RB on the roster, the last year of Shanahan's tenure. What we did, with the roster we had that year, was fantastic.

Your vet theory doesn't hold up against how well the Houston running game picked up this season. Lets be honest and fair, Dennison knows what he's doing, and he learned from two of the best in the business..... Gibbs and Shanahan. Thats a pretty damned good pedigree.

I like coaches that have learned from VERY good coaches, and I like ones that haven't been tainted or been HCs before. This year is a perfect example of that if you look at the playoffs.

83.3% of the playoff teams have coaches that were NOT HCs before they took over their respective teams. Having prior HC experience does NOT equal success.

BroncoJoe
01-12-2011, 12:24 PM
We get you don't like Rico, Mike. Some of us do.

Mike
01-12-2011, 12:26 PM
We get you don't like Rico, Mike. Some of us do.

I get some of you like him. Am I not allowed to make arguments? Is this not a place to express our opinions? Or is that only allowed for those who agree with those who like Dennison?

getlynched47
01-12-2011, 12:29 PM
In 2008, we had 6 running backs to to Injured Reserve.

Yet, our running game averaged 4.8 yards per carry and the offensive line only gave up 12 sacks.

I guess Alex Gibbs gets all the credit for coaching up Ryan Clady, Ben Hamilton, Casey Weigmann, Chris Kuper, and Ryan Harris that season. Oh wait....:coffee:

That was Rick Dennison.

Ravage!!!
01-12-2011, 12:31 PM
I get some of you like him. Am I not allowed to make arguments? Is this not a place to express our opinions? Or is that only allowed for those who agree with those who like Dennison?

Im in favor of you disagreeing. I don't think you are giving credit to Dennison when you try to make the "well, the RBs just fit the system" argument at all, but if thats how you want to justify the success... ok.

BroncoJoe
01-12-2011, 12:34 PM

You're free to do whatever you want to do. I'm just trying to understand why you don't like him as a candidate, other than the "what has he done?" statement. There have been many postings showing what he's accomplished, the systems he's either been in charge of or learned from, the fact he was a pretty good player on defense and special teams - two areas we need help in. He's familiar and has effectively coached the ZBS, learned offense from two of the best in the business: Shanahan and Kubiak.

He's been in the league for a LONG time, and I'm sure he has other connections when it comes to bringing in OC/DC that will match his philosophies.

TXBRONC
01-12-2011, 12:36 PM

I respect your opinions Mike, even if they are dead wrong. :heh: :D

getlynched47
01-12-2011, 12:37 PM

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Broncos-Target-Dennison/b17dd604-7074-48ed-991d-5d079ae8deb6

In all, Dennison spent 15 seasons on the Denver staff before moving on to Houston in 2010. His 24 combined years as a Broncos player and coach represents the longest tenure in franchise history.
In his first season with the Texans, Dennison's unit finished No. 3 in the NFL in total offense, averaging 386.6 yards per game.
That included a breakout campaign for Pro Bowl running back Arian Foster, who became the first undrafted player since Priest Holmes to win an NFL rushing title. Led by quarterback Matt Schaub and Pro Bowl wide receiver Andre Johnson, Houston also finished fourth in passing yards per game.
In Denver, Dennison helped lead one of the league's top offensive lines from 2001-2009. In that span, the team posted four of its top-10 single-season totals for rushing yards and total offense in club history and produced five individual 1,000-yard rushing seasons by four different players.
In his third and final season as offensive coordinator of the Broncos, the team finished with 6,333 yards of total offense -- good for second in the league that year and the second-highest total in team history.
Under Dennison's watch, current Broncos offensive linemen Ryan Harris and Ryan Clady earned All-Pro recognition in 2008 and 2009, respectively.

That's all Alex Gibbs, right?

Mike
01-12-2011, 12:39 PM
In 2008, we had 6 running backs to to Injured Reserve.

Yet, our running game averaged 4.8 yards per carry and the offensive line only gave up 12 sacks.

I guess Alex Gibbs gets all the credit for coaching up Ryan Clady, Ben Hamilton, Casey Weigmann, Chris Kuper, and Ryan Harris that season. Oh wait....:coffee:

That was Rick Dennison.

I will admit that the play was solid. But you could see the cracks in the o-line play at the time. Just like you could in 07. It was still effective, but you could tell the ship was listing in regards to the run game.

Ravage!!!
01-12-2011, 12:39 PM
No one even knew Adrian Foster's name before Dennison this season. Can't say it was just the "RB fitting the system."

The Experience
01-12-2011, 12:40 PM
People have to remember, Houston's run game was pretty bad until Dennison got there. Him and Foster gave them the best running game in the league.

Ravage!!!
01-12-2011, 12:41 PM
I will admit that the play was solid. But you could see the cracks in the o-line play at the time. Just like you could in 07. It was still effective, but you could tell the ship was listing in regards to the run game.

Well....when you are down to your 6-7th RB, other teams have a tendency to have more confidence against your run game, and test the cracks at fulll speed with no worry of repercussion. Not to mention, since we threw the ball over 600 times that season, the run game wasn't exactly what was being tested, it was the pass protection.

getlynched47
01-12-2011, 12:42 PM

:confused:

Ummm....probably because we had a rookie left tackle, a first year starting right tackle, Chris Kuper promoted to the starting right guard, a 13 year veteran in Casey Weigmann, and Ben Hamilton coming off a season-ending concussion in 2007 :lol:

Mike
01-12-2011, 12:44 PM
You're free to do whatever you want to do. I'm just trying to understand why you don't like him as a candidate, other than the "what has he done?" statement. There have been many postings showing what he's accomplished, the systems he's either been in charge of or learned from, the fact he was a pretty good player on defense and special teams - two areas we need help in. He's familiar and has effectively coached the ZBS, learned offense from two of the best in the business: Shanahan and Kubiak.

He's been in the league for a LONG time, and I'm sure he has other connections when it comes to bringing in OC/DC that will match his philosophies.

I am sure he is a smart and likeable guy. I just feel that he has benefitted from the greatness of what others have done and if it weren't for his relationship with Shanahan and Kubiak he would be a positional coach at best.

Don't get me wrong. I sincerely hope, if he gets hired by the Broncos, that he makes me eat those words. And if he gets hired, I hope the FO surrounds him with exceptional OC/DC/ST staffs.

Mike
01-12-2011, 12:45 PM
I respect your opinions Mike, even if they are dead wrong. :heh: :D

Someone has to keep this ticklefest interesting. ;)

dogfish
01-12-2011, 12:46 PM
Morris was the defensive backs coach so I seriously doubt that he was calling the defensive plays.

You know there is huge difference between the college and the pro ranks.

i actually remember reading that monte kiffin was letting rahim handle more of the playcalling his last year or two in tampa, FWIW-- the idea was that the organization wanted to diversify from playing such a strict tampa-2, so monte let rahim start drawing up and calling more blitz packages. . .

doesn't change the fact that rahim was pretty lightly-qualified for a bump to HC. . .

TXBRONC
01-12-2011, 12:47 PM

Mike in '07 the offensive line was pretty beat up with injuries from what I remember.

slim
01-12-2011, 12:48 PM
In 2009 Denver's running game ranked 18th in the league (in yards per game). Houston's was 30th in the league.

In 2010, Denver finished 26th. Houston finished 7th.

Rick was a big part of that.

dogfish
01-12-2011, 12:50 PM
I am sure he is a smart and likeable guy. I just feel that he has benefitted from the greatness of what others have done and if it weren't for his relationship with Shanahan and Kubiak he would be a positional coach at best.

Don't get me wrong. I sincerely hope, if he gets hired by the Broncos, that he makes me eat those words. And if he gets hired, I hope the FO surrounds him with exceptional OC/DC/ST staffs.

the guy's been a coach for what, like 25 years now, and no one outside shanahan and his second-in-command has ever offered rick a job as far as i know. . . maybe he really is this hidden gem of qualifications, we won't know unless/until he gets the job-- but if he's a gem, he's an extremely well-hidden one. . .

getlynched47
01-12-2011, 12:54 PM
Mike in '07 the offensive line was pretty beat up with injuries from what I remember.

It sure was.

Lepsis was in and out of the lineup, his replacement Eric Pears

Hamilton was lost for the season with a concussion. Chris Kuper came in the replace him at left guard.

Chris Myers replaced an injured Tom Nalen at center

Montrae Holland started all games at right guard and was terrible.

and right tackle was a revolving door with Pears and somebody else so unimportant I forgot their name.

TXBRONC
01-12-2011, 01:09 PM
Successful people surround themselves with quality people. If Dennison is selected as Denver's next head coach and surrounds himself with a quality staff he has good a chance as anyone to be a successful head coach.

Mike
01-12-2011, 01:12 PM
Successful people surround themselves with quality people. If Dennison is selected as Denver's next head coach and surrounds himself with a quality staff he has good a chance as anyone to be a successful head coach.

If this happens I would want a nasty DC who has exclusive rights to the defense.

dogfish
01-12-2011, 01:15 PM

that certainly seems to be the argument in his favor. . .

my counter-argument continues to be my lack of belief that he's capable of attracting that type of staff to denver. . . i strongly prefer the idea of a proven, competent coach like fox because the odds of him failing without a really strong staff aren't as great. . . the idea of a first-time VP, first-time GM and a first-time HC is a little scary, IMO-- my confidence would be much higher knowing there's at least one experienced hand on the wheel. . .

JMO, obviously. . . i can see i'm in the minority. . . if the guy gets hired, we'll see how it plays out soon enough. . .

TXBRONC
01-12-2011, 01:19 PM
If this happens I would want a nasty DC who has exclusive rights to the defense.

Absolutely. I think it's true in every profession if you hire quality people and let them do their job you stand a great of chance of having success. For all Shanahan's flaws he did let coaches do their job. Hopefully that has rubbed off on Dennison if he does become the next head coach.

TXBRONC
01-12-2011, 01:23 PM

my counter-argument continues to be my lack of belief that he's capable of attracting that type of staff to denver. . . i strongly prefer the idea of a proven, competent coach like fox because the odds of him failing without a really strong staff aren't as great. . . the idea of a first-time VP, first-time GM and a first-time HC is a little scary, IMO-- my confidence would be much higher knowing there's at least one experienced hand on the wheel. . .

JMO, obviously. . . i can see i'm in the minority. . . if the guy gets hired, we'll see how it plays out soon enough. . .

Fox's predecessor was pretty good coach with two Super Bowl titles under his belt.but when he got to Carolina he got neutered.

I'm not campaning for Dennison I just want whoever the next coach is to build a championship caliber team.

red98
01-12-2011, 01:24 PM

That's a good point.

I'm hoping if it's Dennison he'll bring in some former head coaches as his assistants (if he can) for just that reason.

Lancane
01-12-2011, 01:26 PM
the guy's been a coach for what, like 25 years now, and no one outside shanahan and his second-in-command has ever offered rick a job as far as i know. . . maybe he really is this hidden gem of qualifications, we won't know unless/until he gets the job-- but if he's a gem, he's an extremely well-hidden one. . .

John Harbaugh, Mike Smith...whoops! ;)

dogfish
01-12-2011, 01:29 PM
John Harbaugh, Mike Smith...whoops! ;)

one of those guys offered dennison a job and he turned it down?

bcbronc
01-12-2011, 01:31 PM
I agree that Dennison makes the entire decision making coalition too n00b. Be nice to have someone on board that's been a decision maker under the pressure of the draft clock etc. Possible that Elway could bring on an established veteran FO guy, but how many chefs we want driving this bus?

Another concern I have is that Denny would try to bring an exclusive ZBS, which I don't want to see. Incorporate elements into the offense, sure. But defensive players across the board are too big, fast and athletic for the system to be effective in the redzone on a week to week basis.

There's elements of Denison I like, but just don't think he's the right fit with our current power structure.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

TXBRONC
01-12-2011, 01:35 PM
I agree that Dennison makes the entire decision making coalition too n00b. Be nice to have someone on board that's been a decision maker under the pressure of the draft clock etc. Possible that Elway could bring on an established veteran FO guy, but how many chefs we want driving this bus?

Another concern I have is that Denny would try to bring an exclusive ZBS, which I don't want to see. Incorporate elements into the offense, sure. But defensive players across the board are too big, fast and athletic for the system to be effective in the redzone on a week to week basis.

There's elements of Denison I like, but just don't think he's the right fit with our current power structure.

I wouldn't have any problem bring back the zone blocking scheme full time. The scheme wasn't the problem size in short yardage situations was.

BeefStew25
01-12-2011, 01:43 PM
I think Dennison has striking eyes.

TXBRONC
01-12-2011, 01:53 PM
I think Dennison has striking eyes.

Well that's good to know. :suspicious:

BeefStew25
01-12-2011, 01:56 PM
Well that's good to know. :suspicious:

That means something is pre game speeches, Tex.

Ravage!!!
01-12-2011, 02:33 PM
We had a GOOD running game when the ZBS was here, and didn't when it left. Houston did NOT have a good running game before Dennision, and DID have a good one when he was there. Give me the ZBS in a friggin minute. Worry about the goal line later, get this lousy running situation out of Denver, and get back to what works.

Agent of Orange
01-12-2011, 02:38 PM
We had a GOOD running game when the ZBS was here, and didn't when it left. Houston did NOT have a good running game before Dennision, and DID have a good one when he was there. Give me the ZBS in a friggin minute. Worry about the goal line later, get this lousy running situation out of Denver, and get back to what works.

The goal line thing is a little over blown. Part of it was being down to the 7th running back on the depth chart by the end of the season. When guys like Pittman and Hillis were running the ball, it wasnt as much of a problem to punch it in.

Arian Foster has 16 rushing TDs this year, which leads the league.

People should realize that sometimes its a Ben Hamilton or an Eric Pears problem more than its a ZBS problem.

Ravage!!!
01-12-2011, 02:43 PM

You mean like in KC?

dogfish
01-12-2011, 03:15 PM
You mean like in KC?

yes, exactly like KC-- where their highly experienced general manager hired their coordinators, not the head coach. . . you think xanders has some currently-unemployed super bowl winning coordinators in his rolodex?

bcbronc
01-12-2011, 04:21 PM

Worry about the goalline later? Rav, you've got this whole thing ass backwards. If your runnimg game isn't effective inside the 5, who cares how many yards it puts up between the 20.

You say we haven't had a good running game since Dennison and the ZBS left. True, our running game in that ONE season was pretty bad. Pretty predictable though, when you're changing schemes, your L.T tears a knee ligament in the off-season, your RT and RG miss stretches due to injury, your C is a rook and your LG is another rook who bounced around the line due to the previously mentioned injuries. And the other LGs on the roster were horrible. Plus Moreno, Buck and White all missed time due to injury. Yet despite all that, our running game showed A LOT of growth the last few weeks.

As for before, and Texas, how did all that regular season running success translate to the playoffs? Think that maybe not having a running game that can punch the ball in have anything to do with that?

I mean, how many teams in this year's playoffs run exclusively behind a ZBS? Whens the last time a ZBS won a Superbowl? A playoff game? I don't give a shit about regular season yards if it doesn't result in postseason wins.

The thing is, ZBS doesn't work as well vs 34 fronts, Houston's rushing success this season notwithstanding. Against a 43 the MLB is accounted for by the cutback--as soon as the LB over pursues, the cut back lane opens up.

Vs a 34 the cutback is right into the backside ILB. No one can account for him...play-side guard has to help with the NT...weak-side guard can't get to the second level fast enough to cut down a flowing ILB, at least not consistently. Ya, it's a great system, but it needs to evolve. And that means incorporating some power running tactics--traps, pulling guards, etc.

Because, believe it or not, teams have actually had success running behind a PBS before.

Ravage!!!
01-12-2011, 04:29 PM
yes, exactly like KC-- where their highly experienced general manager hired their coordinators, not the head coach. . . you think xanders has some currently-unemployed super bowl winning coordinators in his rolodex?

I think you are exaggerating the situation. I get it, you are nervous and think everything is crashing down...the world looks down at us, and NO ONE would wan to come here.

But I think its sensationalism at its best. You are guessing, purely based on two coaches, that "no one" wants to be here, and that no coordinators pass on opportunities to be HCs.... both of which are false.

You've already "doomed" the GMs because of their supposed inexperience, and "doomed" the coaching staff (if Dennison is hired) because of his lack of HC experience. All of which have no base, and is premature worry. How many of the coordinators, still left in the playoffs, are "Super Bowl winning" coordinators? How many of those HCs had prior HC jobs before taking over the team they are on now? How many were the "rock stars" of the NFL? How is it, that those "non-rock stars" were able to put together a coaching staff, of non-Super Bowl winning coordinators (especially in a team like Atlanta that just had the biggest QB "controversy" in NFL history) and still make it to the playoffs

I know I know.. its been 10 Days and no coach!!!

Ravage!!!
01-12-2011, 04:39 PM
Worry about the goalline later? Rav, you've got this whole thing ass backwards. If your runnimg game isn't effective inside the 5, who cares how many yards it puts up between the 20.

You say we haven't had a good running game since Dennison and the ZBS left. True, our running game in that ONE season was pretty bad. Pretty predictable though, when you're changing schemes, your L.T tears a knee ligament in the off-season, your RT and RG miss stretches due to injury, your C is a rook and your LG is another rook who bounced around the line due to the previously mentioned injuries. And the other LGs on the roster were horrible. Plus Moreno, Buck and White all missed time due to injury. Yet despite all that, our running game showed A LOT of growth the last few weeks.

As for before, and Texas, how did all that regular season running success translate to the playoffs? Think that maybe not having a running game that can punch the ball in have anything to do with that?

I mean, how many teams in this year's playoffs run exclusively behind a ZBS? Whens the last time a ZBS won a Superbowl? A playoff game? I don't give a shit about regular season yards if it doesn't result in postseason wins.

The thing is, ZBS doesn't work as well vs 34 fronts, Houston's rushing success this season notwithstanding. Against a 43 the MLB is accounted for by the cutback--as soon as the LB over pursues, the cut back lane opens up.

Vs a 34 the cutback is right into the backside ILB. No one can account for him...play-side guard has to help with the NT...weak-side guard can't get to the second level fast enough to cut down a flowing ILB, at least not consistently. Ya, it's a great system, but it needs to evolve. And that means incorporating some power running tactics--traps, pulling guards, etc.

Because, believe it or not, teams have actually had success running behind a PBS before.

Wow... hard to even see how we had success with the ZBS for 15 years, and won any games with it..and hard to see how Houston Just was ranked 3rd in rushing with their top RB putting up 16 rushing TDs with you being able to figure out just how easy it is to stop.

All you did with this post, was make excuse after excuse the last two years of failure, and completely look at the results on the field.

Not to mention, the mere fact that you are trying to suggest we need to evolve into traps and pulling guards makes me wonder, since we were the masters of pulling guards with Gibbs and Dennison.

As far as your examples of playoff wins.... look at the QBs behind nearly every playoff team, and tell me the last time we had a QB of that quality behind center. If Tebow is "the man".. then what he needs is a solid running game. The exaggerations of the goalline rushes is just that..exaggeration. You put a QB behind center that actually makes a team worry,and things open up all the way around, INCLUDING the goalline.

dogfish
01-12-2011, 04:47 PM
I think you are exaggerating the situation. I get it, you are nervous and think everything is crashing down...the world looks down at us, and NO ONE would wan to come here.

But I think its sensationalism at its best. You are guessing, purely based on two coaches, that "no one" wants to be here, and that no coordinators pass on opportunities to be HCs.... both of which are false.

You've already "doomed" the GMs because of their supposed inexperience, and "doomed" the coaching staff (if Dennison is hired) because of his lack of HC experience. All of which have no base, and is premature worry. How many of the coordinators, still left in the playoffs, are "Super Bowl winning" coordinators? How many of those HCs had prior HC jobs before taking over the team they are on now? How many were the "rock stars" of the NFL? How is it, that those "non-rock stars" were able to put together a coaching staff, of non-Super Bowl winning coordinators (especially in a team like Atlanta that just had the biggest QB "controversy" in NFL history) and still make it to the playoffs

I know I know.. its been 10 Days and no coach!!!

okay, WTF is it with people here putting words in my mouth today??

i never once said that "no one wants to be here"-- not once. . . i have questioned whether good coaches will want to come here, and have questioned whether we'll want to pay for the best. . . i never said that "no" coordinators pass on opportunities to be HCs, but it is rather unusual-- most guys do look for promotions, no?

i'm sorry if it bothers people that i won't just blindly accept that someone like dennison will put together the really strong staff that everyone seems to agree that he would need. . . i will continue to consider it a legitimate question until proven otherwise. . .

i haven't "doomed" anyone, or "labelled anyone a failure" as another poster suggested. . . i have expressed my OPINION that i don't think dennison has very high odds of success here, and apparantly that sort of thing isn't well-tolerated around these parts. . .

getlynched47
01-12-2011, 05:05 PM
I wouldn't any problem bring back the zone blocking scheme full time. The scheme wasn't problem size in short yardage situations was.

We didn't have Tim Tebow back then.

The guy is basically automatic inside the 5 yard line. He'll fight for every single yard, or fake yo ass out with a jump-pass :rockon:

bcbronc
01-12-2011, 08:52 PM
[QUOTE]Wow... hard to even see how we had success with the ZBS for 15 years, and won any games with it..

15 years ago the league was predominately 4-3, now it's predominately 3-4 with 300lb+ athletic playmakers on the line. And nobody ran it, so we could a. get our top ranked OL and RB talent late in the draft, and b. defenses never practices against it.

now everyone incorporates some element of a ZBS in their run game. maybe not EVERYbody, but everybody. and the DL/LBs today mean you can't settle for 285lbers on the DL, making acquiring them harder (you're now drawing from the same pool as everyone else).

and hard to see how Houston Just was ranked 3rd in rushing with their top RB putting up 16 rushing TDs with you being able to figure out just how easy it is to stop.

well, it helps when you play Indy x2, Jax x2, and Den in a season. ;)

But yeah, I concede, Houston has a good running game with the ZBS. Foster's a big boy and explodes out of his cuts. and they've got a pretty good QB, and the best WR. no playoffs though. maybe it has nothing to do with the blocking scheme, or maybe it does.

and I never said I 'figured out how to stop it'. I gave my reasoning for why I don't like the ZBS against the 3-4 defenses we see today (note that Houston's entire division plays 4-3). you, on the other hand, prefer the ZBS, so convince me: how do you account for the off-side ILB?

All you did with this post, was make excuse after excuse the last two years of failure, and completely look at the results on the field.

huh? I don't give a shit who's at the helm; we're either a playoff team or we're not. and for the most part, we weren't the last decade or so we ran the ZBS. meanwhile, teams that don't run the ZBS I see in the playoffs and Superbowl year after year after year. Probably always the qb, I guess.

Not to mention, the mere fact that you are trying to suggest we need to evolve into traps and pulling guards makes me wonder, since we were the masters of pulling guards with Gibbs and Dennison.

so Gibbs and Dennison ran a power game between the tackles? cool, we should have nothing to worry about then.

As far as your examples of playoff wins.... look at the QBs behind nearly every playoff team, and tell me the last time we had a QB of that quality behind center. If Tebow is "the man".. then what he needs is a solid running game. The exaggerations of the goalline rushes is just that..exaggeration. You put a QB behind center that actually makes a team worry,and things open up all the way around, INCLUDING the goalline.

and that's less true somehow behind a man-blocking scheme?