PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Trends

spikerman
09-14-2008, 07:36 PM
I want to start off by saying that I'm a huge fan of Mike Shanahan the coach, but not as much of a fan of Mike Shanahan the Head of Football Operations. With that said, I have noticed some trends over the years with Coach Shanahan's Broncos. They seem to follow the same formula every year. See if any of the tendencies below sound familiar given the recent past.

The Broncos:

1. will not play very good special teams
2. will not play very well to start the second half
3. never actually dominate anybody on defense
4. will inevitably allow a team back in the game no matter how big of a lead they hold
5. will consistently allow teams to convert third downs
6. will not address deficiencies on the defensive line

I know this sounds like I'm flaming Mike Shanahan, but I'm not. I'm just frustrated that the same issues the team had last year are rearing their ugly heads again. Yes, the offense is much better, but the defense and special teams continue to be horrible. Right now the team reminds me a lot of the mid to late 80s teams that had good offenses and no defense.

I obviously don't have the football intellect of the guys in the Broncos' front office. What are they seeing about the defensive side of the ball that I'm not? I do, however, think that Coach Shanahan going for two speaks volumes about the defense.