PDA

View Full Version : Krieger: Broncos' lucky break puts "D" first

TXBRONC
01-10-2011, 10:12 AM
Krieger: Broncos' lucky break puts "D" first
By Dave Krieger
Denver Post Columnist
Posted: 01/10/2011 01:00:00 AM MST

Andrew Luck's decision to stay in school did more than deprive the next NFL draft of its presumptive No. 1 pick. It also brought the attention of the Broncos and their fans back where it belongs.

Had Luck declared for the draft, we would have been treated to endless hours of enjoyable but probably pointless speculation about whether John Elway, another Stanford quarterback and No. 1 pick, would mortgage the ranch to obtain him.

Even though Carolina, which holds the first pick, had already indicated it would take Luck if he were available, Elway's enthusiasm for Luck's game suggested he would have at least explored the possibility of swapping spots with the Panthers.

EDIT: CONTENT REMOVED FOR FAILURE TO FOLLOW BRONCOSFORUMS GUIDELINES FOR POSTING COPYRIGHTED ARTICLES (http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207433)

Presumably, this is why a hefty representation of defensive coaches is on the underwhelming list of usual suspects to be head coach. But if the Broncos have learned anything from the revolving door in their defensive coordinator's office — five in five years and counting — it should be that coaching can't overcome talent, or the lack of it.

http://www.denverpost.com/krieger/ci_17053160

I thought you all might enjoy this article by Krieger.

Northman
01-10-2011, 10:44 AM
Well, he makes some great points but for some fans had Elway taken Luck it would of been a massive failure. Hell, he still may make the wrong choice if he takes the wrong guy at this point. Lets hope for the sake of the team he makes the right choice.

UrbanBounca
01-10-2011, 10:46 AM
Is Elway making draft decisions?
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Northman
01-10-2011, 10:49 AM
Is Elway making draft decisions?
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

From the sound of it he said himself, the HC, and Xanders would be making personnel decisions but he has the final say so take that for what its worth.

Juriga72
01-10-2011, 12:55 PM
IF Elway is picking... I for one am very worried. With the scouting failures of our last few drafts giving any insight to someone who's first pick this year will be his FIRST every draft pick.....

Please...NO Offense for the first 3 rounds John

TXBRONC
01-10-2011, 01:07 PM
IF Elway is picking... I for one am very worried. With the scouting failures of our last few drafts giving any insight to someone who's first pick this year will be his FIRST every draft pick.....

Please...NO Offense for the first 3 rounds John

Everyone who has ever made picks started with zero experience.

Anyway it doesn't sound he'll be making picks by himself.

BroncoStud
01-10-2011, 01:58 PM
Everyone who has ever made picks started with zero experience.

Anyway it doesn't sound he'll be making picks by himself.

They'll hire a "draft consultant" from the Denver area to help them make evaluated draft decisions.

Ravage!!!
01-10-2011, 02:10 PM
The team doesn't need to ignore the offense. This offense is NOT good, and if we take an offensive player in the first 3 rounds, thats not a mistake. We can't afford to avoid needs, nor the best player on teh board, purely to take a defensive player simply because its a defensive player. THats how you draft poorly.

Elway has the intelligence to listen to the advisers of which is hired to do their jobs. He's long past the days of the high ego's that plagued prior......people in charge.

threefolddead
01-10-2011, 02:14 PM
As it should be. Neither side of the ball was great but its been a debate of punching myself in the face or watching the Broncos play defense that past few years. I just can't decide which would be more fun.

DenBronx
01-10-2011, 02:29 PM
They should hire me to consult on draft day.

I won't let you guys down. :salute:

slim
01-10-2011, 02:49 PM
They'll hire a "draft consultant" from the Denver area to help them make evaluated draft decisions.

Good for the economy.

Bad for the Broncos.

TXBRONC
01-10-2011, 04:27 PM

I'm sure you would have our best intentions at heart Den. :salute:

TXBRONC
01-10-2011, 04:28 PM
Good for the economy.

Bad for the Broncos.

It depends on if they hire someone who is worth of flip.

Btw if that the case why the hell have a scouting department?

arapaho2
01-10-2011, 04:47 PM
The team doesn't need to ignore the offense. This offense is NOT good, and if we take an offensive player in the first 3 rounds, thats not a mistake. We can't afford to avoid needs, nor the best player on teh board, purely to take a defensive player simply because its a defensive player. THats how you draft poorly.

Elway has the intelligence to listen to the advisers of which is hired to do their jobs. He's long past the days of the high ego's that plagued prior......people in charge.

we have been drafting poorly because we have focused on offense and thought we could fix defense with late picks and has beens

i for one dont believe our offense is in such a bad way that we take a offensive player...our run game suffers because mcd was a dick...many times moreno would get rolling only to watch mcd forgo the run
we take a bruiser power back in this draft from the second to the 5th rnd

we have very promising wrs...lloyd, decker, royal and even thomas if his mangina ever heals

our oline had struggles...but was extremely young...can only get better

a new coach hopefully brings a better offenseive scheme

without luck there is no one in this draft worth our high pick on offense

dogfish
01-10-2011, 04:58 PM

i trust you at least as much as i do xanders. . . .