PDA

View Full Version : Final Thoughts/Observations On Chargers-Broncos Game

ikillz0mbies
09-14-2008, 07:29 PM
Just thought I'd make this thread since there was one for the game last week.

-The Denver offense is just flat out dangerous. The play calls were VERY diverse which opened up the pass offense.
-It's good to see Marshall out on the field. The Broncos need him to be the go-to guy and he responded. 18 receptions shows just how reliable he is, not to forget amazing hands and the ability to break the tackle.
-I loved how the Broncos frustrated the Chargers' defense best cornerback like they did last week with the Raiders. Cromartie was just flat out dismantled when trying to stop or cover Marshall. He got frustrated and got tons of personal foul penalties called on him. The Denver defense is going to frustrate a lot of secondaries both mentally and physically. First it's Royal, then Marshall. With this offense, Colbert can frustrate some defenses too.
-Speaking of Royal, he is going to be a GREAT receiver. Sure he dropped a couple of passes, but the 2 last catches he made at the end showed me that he will be just as reliable as Marshall. The guy is quick when running his routes and makes great moves to get open. He is flat out AMAZING.
-Special teams coverage was....well how do I put this lightly...atrocious. They have to get better coverage against the return unit.
-The defense was shaky. Champ Bailey, in my opinion, played a good game. Granted he missed that tackle on Jackson, but he was there on every play. He is clearly the best and most intelligent the NFL has seen in years.
-Marquand Manuel and Karl Paymah....are horrible. Every time the ball is thrown to Jackson with Paymah guarding him, should just be a touchdown. He cannot cover or get in front of his man. And Manuel, the same thing. Both allowed way too many big plays. Where was JMFW!?!?!?
-Prater....glad he's doing well. Very happy that he made his first FG from 50+ yards.
-I love Andre Hall as a runner. The guy is so aggressive and quick. Selvin Young was pretty impressive as well. He was patient and waited for a hole to open up and then just explode through that hole. Personally, I'd rather see Hall start and Young be the change of pace back.
-Classic Shanahan going for a two point conversion for the win. He has to be the best risk taking coach in the NFL.

*Just a note to the mods, if there is a thread like this already, please feel free to merge*

Nomad
09-14-2008, 07:31 PM
Cromartie was owned! No smack from Charger fans there!

jrelway
09-14-2008, 07:31 PM
our offense is potent, our defense sucks asss, and shannys nuts might as well be kneecaps.

Nomad
09-14-2008, 07:32 PM
our offense is potent, our defense sucks asss, and shannys nuts might as well be kneecaps.

They don't make a cup big enough for his!!:D

yardog
09-14-2008, 07:33 PM
Shanny has a set of bowling balls.

honz
09-14-2008, 07:37 PM
Nobody is talking about Prater, but that 50 yard FG turned out to be huge I wish he would send his kickoffs deeper into the endzone more consistently, but all in all Prater has come through for us as a first time starting kicker in the NFL.

Jason who?:behindsofa:

Nomad
09-14-2008, 07:39 PM
Nobody is talking about Prater, but that 50 yard FG turned out to be huge I wish he would send his kickoffs deeper into the endzone more consistently, but all in all Prater has come through for us as a first time starting kicker in the NFL.

Jason who?:behindsofa:

You're absolutely correct! Without that FG, SD would have had the win.

Sotally Tober
09-14-2008, 07:41 PM
Cromartie got owned by Marshall and got frustrated. Since Deion Sanders has started working with him Cro has been lees than spectacular. Call it a junior slump.
BMarsh thank you! my fantasy team needed that.
Cutler IS as good as everyone thinks he is.
Which one of you pulled the ref's plug?
Denver offense IS back!
San Diego run D was a lot better.
You still suck in Run D
I told you Rivers is good & a deep threat. INT my ass!
Jammer is a shut down corner. HE shut down ROYal.
Once again Cro sucks for now. But Champ Bailey who?
Did you know Nate Kaeding is the least clutch kicker of all time but the best in the league?
LT is not 100%, not even close.
Antoine Cason made ya pay.
Ed Hochuli sucks some major Donkie wang. NFL policy - allow plays to develop within two minutes to avoid CONTROVERSY on outcome.
You guys are hypocrites, at least Mizzou is.
I now officially hate the Denver Broncos.

ikillz0mbies
09-14-2008, 07:43 PM
I'd also like to point out the poise the Broncos when they turned the ball over. They absolutely do not think about their mistakes and just keep playing.

ikillz0mbies
09-14-2008, 07:45 PM
Cromartie got owned by Marshall and got frustrated. Since Deion Sanders has started working with him Cro has been lees than spectacular. Call it a junior slump.
Denver offense IS back!
You still suck in Run D
Did you know Nate Kaeding is the least clutch kicker of all time but the best in the league?
Ed Hochuli sucks some major Donkie Wang. NFL policy - allow plays to develop within two minutes to avoid CONTROVERSY on outcome.

At least you're an honest Chargers fan/Broncos hater and not afraid to point out the mistakes of your team. That's rare.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-14-2008, 07:46 PM
Many of the sports people are stating that Denver went way too conservative on offense in the 2nd half. Hope the offensive coaches learned something from this.

BigDaddyBronco
09-14-2008, 07:47 PM
So your run defense went from totally sucks to just plain sucks?

We had 145 yds in 24 runs, about 6 yds/run. Not a bad average in my book.

If Cutler wasn't owning you guys so bad in the passing game we would have had more.

jrelway
09-14-2008, 07:48 PM
Denver offense IS back!
You still suck in Run D
Ed Hochuli sucks some major Donkie Wang. NFL policy - allow plays to develop within two minutes to avoid CONTROVERSY on outcome.

go drink something..itll help dull the pain.

honz
09-14-2008, 07:49 PM
Many of the sports people are stating that Denver went way too conservative on offense in the 2nd half. Hope the offensive coaches learned something from this.
I didn't think we went that conservative. We were still throwing the ball, but just couldn't execute. The only play that I thought was a terrible call was that little bubble screen to Marshall on 3rd and 2.

BigDaddyBronco
We had 2 three and outs. I don't know if it was because we were conservative or just didn't make plays.

Northman
I dont think they went conservative, but the play calling was skeptical. Shanny kept calling for short screens and routes. Should just let Jay keep throwing the 10-20 yarders. They couldnt stop it but at some point we will need to be able to eat up clock. That run game needs to get in gear.

Nomad
09-14-2008, 07:50 PM

Nothing new there Carol! I stated that in the game thread. Shanny's predictable when sitting on a lead and tends to be less aggressive!

Northman
09-14-2008, 07:51 PM

What took you so long?

jrelway
but when the corners play that far off of marshall, the screens are a must. you know brandons all about that yac! one man cant tackle this guy.

honz
I dont think they went conservative, but the play calling was skeptical. Shanny kept calling for short screens and routes. Should just let Jay keep throwing the 10-20 yarders. They couldnt stop it but at some point we will need to be able to eat up clock. That run game needs to get in gear.
Our running game was pretty good statistically. I think we averaged 6 YPC, but we just didn't run very much.

scott.475
09-14-2008, 07:52 PM

Oh, you only NOW started hating the Broncos? :rolleyes:

Oh, and maybe Felipe learned a lesson today about how to win with class.

Traveler
09-14-2008, 07:53 PM
Our running game was pretty good statistically. I think we averaged 6 YPC, but we just didn't run very much.

And probably won't until a team shuts our passing game down.

My hope then is that Torain will pay dividends once he takes over as starting RB.

Northman
09-14-2008, 07:54 PM

True, but if need to kill clock we cant do it without turning it over on downs. This is why we ended up having me punt when it was 31-27. Sucks too, i was in the middle of getting one of the Bronco cheerleaders numbers. Paybacks a biatch Shanny!!

scott.475
09-14-2008, 07:54 PM
Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
S. Young 8 78 0 49
A. Hall 7 31 0 10
M. Pittman 7 30 1 13
J. Cutler 2 6 0 4

Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
J. Cutler 36/50 350 4 1

Only 22 run plays today. Cutler 36/50, pretty good, 109.6 rating, 72% completion rating.

Dean
09-14-2008, 07:58 PM
My final thoughts/reflections on the Broncos vs. Chargers game are as follows: Broncos 2-0
Charger 0-2.

In the long term, everything else is just something to discuss.

Sotally Tober
09-14-2008, 07:58 PM
Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
S. Young 8 78 0 49
A. Hall 7 31 0 10
M. Pittman 7 30 1 13
J. Cutler 2 6 0 4

Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
J. Cutler 36/50 350 4 1

Only 22 run plays today. Cutler 36/50, pretty good, 109.6 rating.

Ok...our run D is still not up to snuff but it wasn't due to missed tackles or weak tackles. It was due to good run blocking on Denver's part.
Rivers didn't have an INT in my book. The refs gave him that (& gave Denver 7 pts.) so I won't even bring up his numbers.

Northman
09-14-2008, 08:01 PM
Ok...our run D is still not up to snuff but it wasn't due to missed tackles or weak tackles. It was due to good run blocking on Denver's part.
Rivers didn't have an INT in my book. The refs gave him that (& gave Denver 7 pts.) so I won't even bring up his numbers.

I still think that could of gone either way. Champ was starting to strip the ball from Chambers as they were going down.

broncogirl7
09-14-2008, 08:01 PM
This was an incredible game...I really dislike Rivers and I totally enjoyed seeing him get beat...barely.
Our defense needs to work much harder...we need to draft a defensive player next year...

BeefStew25
09-14-2008, 08:05 PM
we need to draft a defensive player next year...

Yes, maybe we get one in the 6th or 7th round.

Sotally Tober
09-14-2008, 08:06 PM
I still think that could of gone either way. Champ was starting to strip the ball from Chambers as they were going down.

No. I doubt that the ball was in Camber's hand on the ground but then Bailey's when the two elevated. That's a complete pass in my book.

BigDaddyBronco
09-14-2008, 08:07 PM
Yes, maybe we get one in the 6th or 7th round.
Maybe we'll draft 3 more DE's that suck.

Northman
09-14-2008, 08:20 PM
No. I doubt that the ball was in Camber's hand on the ground but then Bailey's when the two elevated. That's a complete pass in my book.

Maybe, i would have to look and see where Chambers knee was when he and Bailey fell to the ground. From the one replay ive seen Bailey started stripping the ball as they were going down. I just dont remember where Chamber's knee was at that moment. Never the less, bad calls happen and Denver got some breaks today. Thats NFL football.

Broncolingus
09-14-2008, 08:25 PM
...I don't give a cr@p about any of the 'bad' calls...

Just the fact it's Phil Rivers, makes it okay.

Anyone saying D-line is weak this year (yet again) is spot-on.

gobroncsnv
09-14-2008, 08:48 PM

It would have been over-ruled had the the replay booth been working. It was a catch. But, them's the breaks, and there's not a single team in the league who wouldn't have taken it. Maybe da Boltz can arrange a similar power outage on their field. :cool:

SarahKay
09-14-2008, 08:53 PM
Thought our offense was killer. Marshall really is a BEAST! :beer:
No reason for that INT by Cutler in the endzone..

and that call.. it happens. I like to think of the 2 point conversion as Shanny giving the Dolts a chance to win so they wouldn't WINE about the game being unfair.. and still look who came out on top??

Great game. Great win. I am stoked for week 3. :salute:

Sotally Tober
09-14-2008, 09:04 PM
Thought our offense was killer. Marshall really is a BEAST! :beer:
No reason for that INT by Cutler in the endzone..

and that call.. it happens. I like to think of the 2 point conversion as Shanny giving the Dolts a chance to win so they wouldn't WINE about the game being unfair.. and still look who came out on top??

Great game. Great win. I am stoked for week 3. :salute:

I disagree entirely. Even if Cutler didn't fumble and that call didn't exist I'd agree with you but it did so the ref blew a game, in-*******-excusable.

frauschieze
09-14-2008, 09:12 PM
Rio Douche's jersey was waaaay too white for my liking. We have got to figure out how to get pressure with our front four or at least start covering up our deficiencies with blitzes.

Tned
09-14-2008, 09:14 PM
Maybe, i would have to look and see where Chambers knee was when he and Bailey fell to the ground. From the one replay ive seen Bailey started stripping the ball as they were going down. I just dont remember where Chamber's knee was at that moment. Never the less, bad calls happen and Denver got some breaks today. Thats NFL football.

Not the knee, but forearm (which is the same as the knee for 'down by contact' purposes) was down before Champ stripped the ball.

However, Chris Collinsworth (take it with a grain until we hear from Mike Ferera, head of officiating) states that it was a 'simultaneous catch', which is not reviewable, so even if there hadn't been an equipment failure, the ref would not have overturned it.

It would still have been a bad call, because a simultaneous catch goes to the passing team. However, if Collinsworth is correct, then even if the replay equipment was working, the Bolt's would have gotten screwed on a 'technicality' in the rules, even though it was clear that the call was bad.

broncobryce
09-14-2008, 09:14 PM
I disagree entirely. Even if Cutler didn't fumble and that call didn't exist I'd agree with you but it did so the ref blew a game, in-*******-excusable.

Sounds like 'sour grapes.' Please don't be typical Charger fan and make up an excuse every time you lose. Injuries, bad calls, part of football. If your D could stop someone you wouldn't have lost. :coffee:

Denver Native (Carol)
09-14-2008, 09:17 PM

I know how you feel, but bad calls are a part of the game - and we Bronco fans all know that we have had MORE than our share of bad calls in games. And I think you would have to agree that San Diego has also been in games where bad calls against their opponents have benefited San Diego.

Tned
09-14-2008, 09:22 PM
Sounds like 'sour grapes.' Please don't be typical Charger fan and make up an excuse every time you lose. Injuries, bad calls, part of football. If your D could stop someone you wouldn't have lost. :coffee:

And we would be screaming and spewing just as much 'sour grapes' if those two calls went against us. I'm glad we won, but as a fan, you know how much it sucks to have refs blow to big calls like that.

broncobryce
09-14-2008, 09:58 PM
And we would be screaming and spewing just as much 'sour grapes' if those two calls went against us. I'm glad we won, but as a fan, you know how much it sucks to have refs blow to big calls like that.

He's not going to get any sympathy from me (a bronco fan). It's called Karma from last year. He can go cry about it on the sparklers board.

Cugel
09-14-2008, 11:02 PM

The fumble wasn't on a scoring play! It gave the Broncos the ball on the 10 yard line with 2 plays to get a score.

All the Boltz had to do to win was make a stop on ONE play. Just deflect the ball away from Royal one of the two times he caught it on exactly the same play and you win.

They couldn't do it. They lost.

The Boltz had every chance at that point and couldn't make a play.

Nobody to blame but yourselves!

gobroncsnv
09-14-2008, 11:02 PM
My observation on this game is that I think it's got a strong chance to look like next week's game... without the bad calls. The Saints bring guns to the knife fights they're in, so we better be ready to rumble... and SCORE. And I think they'll be better at running the ball than even the Chargers were today. We best be rollin' up some sleeves for this next one.

Day1BroncoFan
09-14-2008, 11:18 PM
My final thoughts:

Denver 2-0
san diego 0-2

Calls are part of the game. If those calls would have been against Denver I would be upset.

I am concerned about our defense and our special teams flat out worry me. With those two aspects of our team the way they are we better hope our offense can out score any one we play.

shank
09-14-2008, 11:27 PM
on the replay from behind the play on the chambers/bailey int, i could have sworn that i saw the ball spin in chamber's right hand before his left elbow hit the ground...

i'd have to look again, because i didn't see it until the last replay they showed on the broadcast, but i think it could have been a catch and fumble.

Superchop 7
09-15-2008, 12:38 AM
I was there.

The game plan was .......well......as good as it gets.

They thought run....

We said pass.

Had them off balance for most of the game (except 3rd qtr)

Coaching was brilliant.

Dublin Bolt
09-15-2008, 03:39 AM
Congrats on getting to 2 and 0.

By hook or by crook we are now 0 and 2. We were 1 and 3 last year so all is not lost yet.

Here's my 2 cents. Cro had a nightmare. But I'm giving him a mulligan. He'll be back and the better player for it. This might just be the kick in the ass he needed, he was starting to get a bit too big for his boots, too much time with Deion methinks.

Marshall is a stud.

I was hoping to see some complimentary remarks about Rivers but they are few and far between. I was hoping some Bronco fans might get over the so called 'trash talking in 07' and watch him play. The guy is a complete stud and believe me a great guy to boot. He is being let down by his D bigtime right now.

If u had told anyone before the game we would put up 38 pts then u would expect us to be 1 and 1 right?.

Champ got some abuse no?. I was real surprised how we kinda went at him early.

I told u about Cason, this guy is the real deal. Now if only we had some LBs and Dlinemen who could tackle.

Anyhows just my 2 cents, good talking with u.

omac
09-15-2008, 04:41 AM

By hook or by crook we are now 0 and 2. We were 1 and 3 last year so all is not lost yet.

Here's my 2 cents. Cro had a nightmare. But I'm giving him a mulligan. He'll be back and the better player for it. This might just be the kick in the ass he needed, he was starting to get a bit too big for his boots, too much time with Deion methinks.

Marshall is a stud.

I was hoping to see some complimentary remarks about Rivers but they are few and far between. I was hoping some Bronco fans might get over the so called 'trash talking in 07' and watch him play. The guy is a complete stud and believe me a great guy to boot. He is being let down by his D bigtime right now.

If u had told anyone before the game we would put up 38 pts then u would expect us to be 1 and 1 right?.

I told u about Cason, this guy is the real deal. Now if only we had some LBs and Dlinemen who could tackle.

Both your corners and our corners looked worse than they are, because we both lacked any significant pressure on the QB.

People here do admit that Rivers is good, but they still think he's a ... you know what, hehehe. Has less to do with ability, and more to do with how he represents himself.

Tned
09-15-2008, 06:43 AM

Marshall is a stud.

As Omac said, it has more to do with how Rivers represents himself (trash talk on the field, talk about Champ, etc.).

Also, I tried to explain in a few posts here and on Boltstalk that while Cro might be great, and might still be developing as a CB, but you guys just don't realize how good Marshall is. He is close to uncoverable. Many 'talking head' experts are putting him 'just' below the top tier WRs in the league (TO, Moss, Ocho) and feel this will be the real breakout year (102 catches last year, 3rd most by a 2nd year player last year) for Marshall where he becomes talked about in the same sentence as Moss and TO.

There was a lot of talk here and on the SD boards about how Marshall coudln't do anything against Cro, and how Royal wouldn't be able to get open against the SD CBs and how Cutler might have a strong arm, but doesn't have enough between the ears, he crumbles, etc. The lack of respect was mutual, IMO.

I think as fans, we can both appreciate that for the first times in three years, the Broncos and SD both have solid teams. The Broncos had two very uncharacteristically bad seasons '06-'07.

Dublin Bolt
09-15-2008, 09:45 AM
As Omac said, it has more to do with how Rivers represents himself (trash talk on the field, talk about Champ, etc.).

Also, I tried to explain in a few posts here and on Boltstalk that while Cro might be great, and might still be developing as a CB, but you guys just don't realize how good Marshall is. He is close to uncoverable. Many 'talking head' experts are putting him 'just' below the top tier WRs in the league (TO, Moss, Ocho) and feel this will be the real breakout year (102 catches last year, 3rd most by a 2nd year player last year) for Marshall where he becomes talked about in the same sentence as Moss and TO.

There was a lot of talk here and on the SD boards about how Marshall coudln't do anything against Cro, and how Royal wouldn't be able to get open against the SD CBs and how Cutler might have a strong arm, but doesn't have enough between the ears, he crumbles, etc. The lack of respect was mutual, IMO.

I think as fans, we can both appreciate that for the first times in three years, the Broncos and SD both have solid teams. The Broncos had two very uncharacteristically bad seasons '06-'07.

Gr8 post. :beer:

Rivers might have represented himself better in 07, true. You won't see that from him again.

I knew Marshall was good but, WOW, he played some game yesterday.

As for us both having solid teams, I'll say this. Our run D and pass rush is pathetic. Unless things change drastically e.g. the cutting of Wilhelm/the firing of Ted Cottrell we are going to struggle to make the playoffs nevermind go further.

As for the Broncos I see your D needing some work too. I never rated McCree, you have him starting, that tells me your safeties are suspect.

Anyhows good talking to u...... :beer:

Dreadnought
09-15-2008, 10:01 AM
I want to emphasize just how good our pass blocking has been so far as well. This is now 2 games in a row where Cutler has had plenty of time to work, and we have seen the results. The run blocking is improving as well. This looks like a really good and very young line.

NightTrainLayne
09-15-2008, 10:10 AM
I want to emphasize just how good our pass blocking has been so far as well. This is now 2 games in a row where Cutler has had plenty of time to work, and we have seen the results. The run blocking is improving as well. This looks like a really good and very young line.

Indeed. The line should get a lot of credit. If we played this game with last year's hodge-podge line, we'd be lucky to score 20 points, and Cutler would probably be limping.

They just need to continue improving as we move through the season.

Dreadnought
09-15-2008, 10:20 AM
Indeed. The line should get a lot of credit. If we played this game with last year's hodge-podge line, we'd be lucky to score 20 points, and Cutler would probably be limping.

They just need to continue improving as we move through the season.

Not only is Clady playing well better than you can hope for a guy in his second Pro game, but I am becoming a Ryan Harris believer as well.

DenBronx
09-15-2008, 10:34 AM
bad calls shmad calls.

look, we actually dominated the chargers the first half. even our defense was pretty good until the second half. i think they got gassed and the bad play on special teams really seemed to suck the life out of them AND the crowd. after sproles returned that td the crowd got quite for a long time. then we didnt put any points on the board in the 3rd quarter...we flat out sucked in the 3rd and this alowed san diego to come back. we won...wish it was without bad calls because it would have been better to convincingly beat the sparklers without a bad call but it happens. 2-0 now and now looking back. im sure we will beat them in san diego without bad calls.

does anyone know if eddie ROYal was hurt on that last play? my cousin said that he was helped by medics after the play. i hope he is ok.

i can not wait to see what torain can do. is week 5 out of the question for a return??? he seems so much larger even without pads standing next to the other backs on the sideline. are all 4 rb's going to be activated when he comes back? :confused:

all the negitive bronco fans have been pretty quite the last couple of weeks. shame....shame....shame.

when is the deadline to make a trade??? we need a DE bad! i'm officially off the moss bandwagon. heck he cant beat out engleberger or ekuban. for as bad as our pass rush is we should try and pick up a de and possibly a dt so thomas and robertson can get some rest. like i said they played good the first half but all seemed to gas the second half. can you say conditioning????

underrated29
09-15-2008, 02:23 PM
I think we will see moss in the lineup against NO.

We had to keep him out to ensure that LT didnt eat us alive.

Tned
09-15-2008, 05:40 PM
As for the Broncos I see your D needing some work too. I never rated McCree, you have him starting, that tells me your safeties are suspect.

Anyhows good talking to u...... :beer:

The sad thing is that these safties are an upgrade for us. :lol:

Good talking to you, too. :D

GEM
09-15-2008, 05:46 PM
Denver offense IS back!
You still suck in Run D
Ed Hochuli sucks some major Donkie wang. NFL policy - allow plays to develop within two minutes to avoid CONTROVERSY on outcome.

He shut down Royal.....:laugh: That's tough ish right there. 2nd game in the NFL and got shut down by Jammer, who'd been called a liability until SD got him some help in the secondary.

That was funny. Jammer a shut down corner. I'd heard SD fans whining that Cro was, but since he got toasted over and over and over again, might as well throw Jammer in there. :rolleyes:

No worries, the Denver Broncos hates you. :D You're a Chargers fan, they're supposed to.

GEM
09-15-2008, 05:48 PM

I would agree. To hell with settling down into a lead. Drill that bad baby all the way home. Who gives a wahoo if they get to 60 on the scoreboard. No friggen mercy, you'd think Shanny would have learned that in the past when everyone complained about awesome 1st halves and dismal 2nds or vice versa.

No Mercy Shanny....especially with this Defense, we need as many points on the board as we can get.

underrated29
09-15-2008, 05:56 PM
I would agree. To hell with settling down into a lead. Drill that bad baby all the way home. Who gives a wahoo if they get to 60 on the scoreboard. No friggen mercy, you'd think Shanny would have learned that in the past when everyone complained about awesome 1st halves and dismal 2nds or vice versa.

No Mercy Shanny....especially with this Defense, we need as many points on the board as we can get.

Off topic here:

Gem i cant get over how freaking cool you are. Good post, like football, agressive, and have a fine taste in hot girls and things. Can you and my wife hang out on the weekends?

She needs someone like you. She hates football and gets pissed at me when i watch it. She does like girls stuff too, but for some reason not so much anymore. And she always feels bad for teams or people if they get blown out. Like my hockey games. If we kill a team she gets sad and says you should have let them score so it was a close game.

BAAHHH! Can you help? She would be sooo much cooler after kickin it with you for a while. not that she isnt cool, but then she would be the most perfect. Cuz she is already perfect.

On topic- great posts gem, DNC and bolty.

Tned
09-15-2008, 05:58 PM
Not only is Clady playing well better than you can hope for a guy in his second Pro game, but I am becoming a Ryan Harris believer as well.

I know some don't put much stock in what Shanahan says, but here are a couple paraphrased snippets (from memory, but close):

Following the season, in the final presser:

"We are in good shape with Ryan Harris taking over LT for Lepsis. That is not an area I am concerned about." Obviously, he took the oppurtunity in the draft to get a better LT, but the guy he said was ready to be his starting LT is looking pretty good at RT.

"The 7-9 record falls on me. While we had some injuries, we had the talent to win 10 games. We didn't do what we needed to do in coaching to get those 10 wins." Again, paraprhased, but he said we didn't have 13 win talent, but we had 10 win talent, even with the injuries suffered.

"Eddie Royal was the best receiver coming out in the draft coming out of the draft and beating bump and run coverage." Post draft news conference.

A lot of people gave Shanny no credit for these statements, but so far they are proving fairly accurate.

does anyone know if eddie ROYal was hurt on that last play? my cousin said that he was helped by medics after the play. i hope he is ok.

Apparently Stokely knocked the wind out of him jumping on him in celebration. In the post game interviews, he said it was his teammates celebrating that caused him to get a little dinged up on that play, and he didn't act like there was anything serious. We will have to wait and see.

DenBronx
09-15-2008, 07:00 PM
stokely said in his interview that our recieving core is better top to bottom then when he was with indy. he also aknowledged that the offense as a whole is better.

claymore
09-15-2008, 07:07 PM
stokely said in his interview that our recieving core is better top to bottom then when he was with indy. he also aknowledged that the offense as a whole is better.

I think we can be special....... And the funny thing about is nobody knows who Marshal, Royal, and Sheffler are.

My buddy drafted Marshal in the 4th round, and Cutler in the 7th. And everyone laughed at him..........

Tned
09-15-2008, 07:09 PM

I think Shanny said in Training camp that he didn't think anyone in the league had a deeper/better WR group than the Broncos. Yet another comment he took BIG time heat for from fans.

jrelway
09-15-2008, 07:12 PM
Shanahan's fearless play-calling has Broncos riding high
By Thomas George | NFL.com
Senior Columnist

Moments before Broncos lineman Gary Zimmerman was immortalized into the Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio, last month, coach Mike Shanahan and owner Pat Bowlen
shared a sunny moment backstage on a sun-splashed day.

Shanahan and Bowlen were asked, "How is it going?"

Shanahan answered. "Very well. We’re undefeated."

Bowlen chimed in: "We’re going to stay that way, right?"

Both men laughed. Hearty ones.

"Well, I walked right into that one," Shanahan said, smiling. "I deserved it. I just lobbed you that softball."

Bowlen smiled. He was kidding.

Right?

Well, two games in, two victories in hand for the Broncos. They may not win them all -- but they certainly look like a club that will score trying.

That was 41 Denver points tallied in the opener at the Raiders.

Chalk up 39 more in Sunday’s home victory over the Chargers.

Quarterback Jay Culter is slinging it, receiver Brandon Marshall is winging it, tight end Tony Scheffler is stinging defenders and rookie receiver Eddie Royal is bringing it.

Shanahan is dialing it.

He made the Broncos nationally relevant once again with his decision in the final seconds to shoot for a 2-point conversion to beat the Chargers rather than kick for a tie and overtime.

When the 2-point conversion was added to the NFL game in 1994 it was employed more frequently by coaches early on. That first year coaches converted 59 of 116 attempts, the most in both categories since its conception. Only two seasons ago coaches used it the least ever (21 of 41 attempts converted). Last season the numbers increased to 30 of 61 converted.

We could talk all week about percentages and protocol in terms of when to go for two and when not, but the bottom line is to make that call in the final seconds, eschewing an extra-point kick and the near certainty of overtime, takes guts.

That is just where Shanahan looked in making the call.Controversial, confusing call
There was a controversial call at the end of the Broncos' win over the Chargers. Adam Schefter tries to sort it out in his blog. More ... "You go with your gut sometimes," Shanahan said on Monday morning, looking back on the call and the tingling 39-38 victory. "We had that feeling on the sideline and I could sense the players' excitement about it. And when you look into your quarterback's eyes and he has that look, that he wants it, that’s all the nudge you need."

The Broncos -- after their winning touchdown drive was kept alive on a Cutler fumble whistled dead as an incomplete pass -- converted a fourth-and-4 Cutler to Royal touchdown pass.

Shanahan called on the same duo for the conversion, despite Marshall's Broncos-record 18 receptions in the game.

"Same guys and same play," Shanahan said. "We had run a right formation on the touchdown and we switched it to a left formation and altered the route a little to give it a different look. The protection was good. It was a good throw. The right read."

And a special, sure-handed catch in the end zone in traffic by Royal.

Shanahan did not want to put his team’s fate in an overtime coin flip. In Cutler, in Royal, he trusted.

In his offense.

It has not been this way in Denver for awhile. Sure, Jake Plummer led the Broncos to a 13-3 record and the 2006 AFC Championship Game. But as far as Shanahan was concerned, that was the zenith with Plummer. Only three months after that loss, he drafted Cutler from Vanderbilt.

"I give Jake tremendous credit and we won a lot of games with him," Shanahan said. "But having been around quarterbacks like Elway and Young and Montana and having won Super Bowls around them, I think I know what it takes. We beat New England that year. We lost to Pittsburgh here at home in the AFC Championship Game. And I thought that was as good as we could play with Plummer as our quarterback. It was as good as we could get in our offensive system at that time."

NFL Replay will re-air the Denver Broncos' thrilling 39-38 win over the San Diego Chargers on Tuesday, Sept. 16 at 9:30 p.m. ET.

Fans, want to get NFL Network? Cable operators, want to carry NFL Network? Click here for more information.
So, Shanahan moved up the No. 11 spot to draft Cutler. Texas quarterback Vince Young (No. 3) and USC quarterback Matt Leinart (No. 10) both were drafted before Cutler.

"We drafted him to get to the next level," Shanahan said. "If we were going to be a top three offense, we needed someone special."

Cutler started the last five games of his rookie year. Then he went 7-9 as a starter last season. Shanahan is impressed with how well Cutler is grasping the offense. He has completed 70.3 percent of his passes in two games. He has six touchdown passes compared with one interception -- and the pick came in the drive that preceded his game-winning march against the Chargers.

Now Shanahan gets to cook up an offensive game plan, a passing game each week that is not hindered. He has returned to the unchained offensive feel and innovation that has marked his coaching career.

No franchise during his 14 seasons as head coach of the Broncos has gained more rushing yards or total yards. Only two during that span (Indianapolis and Green Bay) have scored more points. For the Broncos to reach their ultimate goals, their season appears to hinge on if the defense can rise to match the offense.

When the Broncos play host to New Orleans on Sunday, the game pits Shanahan’s creativity against that of Saints coach Sean Payton. This matchup should provide as cat-and-mouse, razzle-dazzle, imaginative offensive display as any NFL game this season.

And it gives the Broncos one more chance to stay perfect.

"I went for 2 points there because I have a lot of confidence in our offense," Shanahan said. "I have a lot of confidence in Jay and the supporting cast. I think we’ll continue to have a 'let’s go win it attitude' on offense. It’s a young football team, but our guys are smart enough to know that unless you prepare, this kind of feeling is very short lived. Week in and week out, we are stressing our preparation."

Especially if you have visions of winning 'em all.

Requiem / The Dagda
09-15-2008, 07:12 PM
I think our receiving corps is pretty good. Best in the league? I dunno. . .

Does anyone know if D. Jackson was held out due to injury or what?

Having him out there as another option will be nice.

jrelway
09-15-2008, 07:17 PM
"You go with your gut sometimes," Shanahan said on Monday morning, looking back on the call and the tingling 39-38 victory. "We had that feeling on the sideline and I could sense the players' excitement about it. And when you look into your quarterback's eyes and he has that look, that he wants it, that’s all the nudge you need."

i love that quote from shanny.

Tned
09-15-2008, 07:22 PM

I think he was questioned about that and he said he didn't say they were the best, but that nobody had a better set of receivers (sounds like semantics to me). :D

Broncolingus
09-15-2008, 07:28 PM

...it's amazing how good/bad a receiving corps looks with good blocking up front.

Just like it's amazing how bad a defensive secondary can look with a piss-poor front four.

Doh!

Requiem / The Dagda
09-15-2008, 07:37 PM
I'm so happy that Clady and Harris are doing so well given the fact they're both in their first years as starters. That's a great sign. Bookends for a decade, I hope.

Retired_Member_001
09-15-2008, 08:03 PM
I'm so happy that Clady and Harris are doing so well given the fact they're both in their first years as starters. That's a great sign. Bookends for a decade, I hope.

I'm shocked that Harris has done so well immediately at right tackle. People questioned his strength, but overall, he has been very good.

Retired_Member_001
09-15-2008, 09:23 PM
I've actually noticed that if it wasn't for Marlon McRee's last second swat, the River's last second heave probably would have been caught for a touchdown.

topscribe
09-15-2008, 09:28 PM
I've actually noticed that if it wasn't for Marlon McRee's last second swat, the River's last second heave probably would have been caught for a touchdown.

That is why MCree was down there, Wook . . . :whoknows:

-----

Retired_Member_001
09-15-2008, 09:29 PM
That is why MCree was down there, Wook . . . :whoknows:

-----

What I'm saying, is if it were someone else (Paymah), they may not have done such a good job. It was a decent leap.

shank
09-15-2008, 09:32 PM
I'm shocked that Harris has done so well immediately at right tackle. People questioned his strength, but overall, he has been very good.

dream, give me a high five for alway supporting harris. boss did too, but i haven't seen him in ages.

topscribe
09-15-2008, 09:32 PM
What I'm saying, is if it were someone else (Paymah), they may not have done such a good job. It was a decent leap.

You're right there. From what I have seen, McCree is a player!

-----

WARHORSE
09-15-2008, 10:10 PM
Denver offense IS back!
You still suck in Run D

Your point is?:coffee:sa-sa-lurp.

:D

ikillz0mbies
09-15-2008, 10:38 PM

So....technically.....Marlon McCree saved the win for the Broncos....as in my adopted Bronco Marlon McCree....:D

Lonestar
09-15-2008, 11:18 PM
good offensive shoot out.

I was out of town did not see a thing about it till I watched it on tivo..

SAN should have won that game it was ALL SAN in the second half..

We still do not have the killer instinct like we should..

If you have someone down 21-3 in the first half you have to drive stake in their heart..

OUR DEFENSE sucks.. boss bailey is a joke, along with the DLine.. I do not remember a single sack on rivers with very little pressure on him all day .. To allow someone to get 377 yards passing something is BIG time wrong..

The official blew the fumble play but I can see how he called it that way.. from his angle it IMO was a forward pass.. He blew the whistle and that was that..

BUT we got the win when it clearly was a fumble.. still trying to figurer out why Jay had the ball in his left hand while rolling out and fumbled it transferring it to the right hand and trying to raise it to pass.

This DEN team better figure out how to stop the passing game of NOL, and maybe even their running game.. Not sure if we can score 40+ points again to pull out a win..

broncobryce
09-15-2008, 11:37 PM
I'm sure we can against the Saints, they have no corners. But I agree, we need to put teams away, just keep going like the Patriots did.

MasterShake
09-16-2008, 12:05 AM
I'm sure we can against the Saints, they have no corners. But I agree, we need to put teams away, just keep going like the Patriots did.

As much as it seemed like they (the Patriots) were picking on teams last year, now I'm beginning to see why they did it. If Shanny kept the pressure on in the third qtr instead of playing it safe people might have thought we were being "mean". No lead is safe, those damn Chargers almost snatched one from us! From here on out, get out the shovels.

Northman
09-16-2008, 12:14 AM
As much as it seemed like they (the Patriots) were picking on teams last year, now I'm beginning to see why they did it. If Shanny kept the pressure on in the third qtr instead of playing it safe people might have thought we were being "mean". No lead is safe, those damn Chargers almost snatched one from us! From here on out, get out the shovels.

Whats the quote from the defensive cordinator from "remember the titans"? "Herm!, Leave no doubt!". :beer::D

broncosinindy
09-16-2008, 07:10 AM
Denver offense IS back!
You still suck in Run D
The feeling is mutual i have hated the chargers after yer boy rivers came in and disrespected our house. dont worry ewll whoop yer butts again later this year to show you it was no fluke

Tned
09-16-2008, 07:30 AM
OUR DEFENSE sucks.. boss bailey is a joke, along with the DLine.. I do not remember a single sack on rivers with very little pressure on him all day .. To allow someone to get 377 yards passing something is BIG time wrong..

Don't get me wrong, they still count, but it is important to remember that 1/3 of River's yards came from two dump offs to RB's that ran for 66+ yards each.

While the Broncos consistantly moved the ball against SD, with short and a few long play, half of SD's total yards came on 5 big plays.

The fact that it was a handful of big plays that made up for 24 points and half their yards, leaves me with some hope. It might be that our D will give up the big plays all year, or it might be that with half of the starters being new or playing in new positions, and playing in a new scheme (third in three years), it is very possible that with some adjustments they will minimize blown assignments in future games, especially as the year goes on.

MOtorboat
09-16-2008, 07:31 AM
Don't get me wrong, they still count, but it is important to remember that 1/3 of River's yards came from two dump offs to RB's that ran for 66+ yards each.

Maybe its just me, but I think that's much worse than Chambers beating Champ one-on-one on a heave-ho jump ball type play. The dump-offs show us why Rivers isn't as good as his 377 yards and 3 touchdowns, but that's not giving me hope about the Denver defense.

Tned
09-16-2008, 07:38 AM
Maybe its just me, but I think that's much worse than Chambers beating Champ one-on-one on a heave-ho jump ball type play.

From a defense 'blowing it' perspective, I consider it MUCH worse. We know Champ isn't going to get beat like that often. It happened, it sucks, he is going to be pissed, and it just isn't going to happen often.

Throwing a little dump pass to Sproles behind the line, and letting him run for 66 yards and a TD? Inexcusable. Throwing a little out and in/slant pass to the FB, just past the LOS, and having him run for 67 yards? Inexcusable.

However, two safeties, three LB's and a DT are all new to the team or playing in new positions. The team has the third new defensive scheme in as many years.

So, all of our "up the middle" guys, the ones that are supposed to stop those type plays (safeties and LB's) are new or in new positions.

It just might take some time for them to gel and get used to the scheme.

The good news is that it seems that our offense will be able to keep us in a lot of games, while the defense is playing catch up.

The other thing people lose site of when talking about running up the score (besides the point you make about not letting a team get back in it) is that while it doesn't happen often, one of the playoff tie breakers is either total points or net point differential or something like that.

WARHORSE
09-16-2008, 08:48 AM
Right. The Chiggers only had a total rushing day of 80 yards.

The problem to me in with Sproles and their fullback running away with dump passes is with the safeties. That is where the problem lies with those plays, considering the defense we were in.

The Broncos let up imo. On both offense and defense.

But we got the win, we have the tape, and its back to getting better.
Thats what Im excited about most of all. Shanahan says he loves the desire of these players to be better each week, and they have the work ethic to pursue that.:coffee: