PDA

View Full Version : Channel 9's Rod Mackey interviews Elway

PAINTERDAVE
01-10-2011, 12:50 AM
Elway...

"Watching this last season was gut wrenching. I was at every game."

"Tebow is young. High expectations coming out of the 1st round..
System he is from is not conducive to the pro style.
He is everything a guy can be coming from that system.
He makes plays you can't coach.
To be a great QB... you have to win from the pocket."

Short interview...

I like his confidence.
He seems to be getting more comfortable.
He was good on the Zapollo interview as well...
much more relaxed

No real news... I know...
That first awkward press conference led me to wonder...
but he seems much more comfortable as time passes.

I posted this for those not from Denver who did not have chance to watch.

Fox interview is Tomorrow ( Monday)
Stud and Fewell interview is done.
Fewll saying goodbye at the airport said all the right things.

That is the local news in Denver.
Have a great week.

BigSarge87
01-10-2011, 01:06 AM
This probably sounds a little dramatic, but is it possible he's trying to motivate Tebow by not really publicly endorsing him as a quality QB?

You hear all this stuff about how Tebow uses things like this as motivation to prove people wrong and succeed. I would imagine the past weeks events with Elway would fit into that category.

Just a theory.

PAINTERDAVE
01-10-2011, 01:14 AM
This probably sounds a little dramatic, but is it possible he's trying to motivate Tebow by not really publicly endorsing him as a quality QB?

You hear all this stuff about how Tebow uses things like this as motivation to prove people wrong and succeed. I would imagine the past weeks events with Elway would fit into that category.

Just a theory.

I think Elway has been pretty straight up.
He's praised Tim..
assesed his viability...
said it will be evaluated.

I think..
He is not saying anything to avoid poisoning the well of the coaching pool.

I would imagine he is listening to what these coaching candidates say...
to find out what they think...

In the end.. I'd be surprised if Elway hires a guy who wants to
blow up the offense and start from scrap.

We've been there.. done that.
It is in Elways interest to build a good team and win some games this season.
Drafting a new rookie QB just does not seem to make sense.

We just have to wait and see.

topscribe
01-10-2011, 01:26 AM
Did Elway talk about anybody besides Tebow?

Or is that all anybody is interested in?

-----

PAINTERDAVE
01-10-2011, 01:33 AM
It was a short interview... you know how the news is...
not much more than sound bites.

He said he is thrilled to be here..
expanded a bit about how gut wrenching it was to watch this last season.
Said the thrilling high point of the season was the Texans game.

Said he is ready to do this... done golfing.
Laughed and said his golf game plateued and he will nevr win the seniors circuit.

Talked again about the process...
hire a coach.. have a good draft...
did say the players who are here must step it up.

That was about it.

Rusty Shackleford
01-10-2011, 01:51 AM
There was some good and bad on tv here in Denver tonight. Elway was on "Zappolo's people" (on Fox)and gave a good interview, then in the sit down with Dave Krieger and Sandy Clough let these two "journalists" shit on the franchise (they had a moment of dig on Tebow from nowhere, it was actually embarrassing). With just opinions, based on no facts. Basically ripped the Broncos for the mistakes of 2 years ago yet gave them no credit for attempting to change the tide. It was a hard watch.

Thankfully it was followed by All Access on CBS4 with Vic Lombardi and Eric Decker to start and a sit down with Elway and Mr Bowlen with Gary Miller. Good interview more open. Bowlen trusts Elway implicitly. Good moment of interview with Perry Fewell @ DIA when he was asked about the much maligned D, he basically said some D's are closer than can be seen from the outside, it may look hopeless but with the right guy that can change, and fast. The best part was Vic's F broadcast F bomb at the end when they threw a bucket of water on him in honor of his poor showing as an honorary Washington General tonight...he thought the microphone was broken. It wasn't :laugh:

PAINTERDAVE
01-10-2011, 02:09 AM
Yeah.. I dislike Sandy Clough.
I find it hard to understand why Zapollo would put him on right after Elway.

Clough is a local, longtime talk show host who is smarmy and quite pretentious... very full of himself.

He, like many, are invested in Tebow failing.
One of our local "experts" who marches to the same drum as the national clowns like King and Kiper.

Kicking the Broncos when they are down is right in charactor.

Instead of focusing on the future.. dwelling on the recent failures is better for him.

BroncoStud
01-10-2011, 06:49 AM
Did Elway talk about anybody besides Tebow?

Or is that all anybody is interested in?

-----

Haha, it's killing you that Orton is an after-thought TOP... lol... :salute:

Cugel
01-10-2011, 01:09 PM
There was some good and bad on tv here in Denver tonight. Elway was on "Zappolo's people" (on Fox)and gave a good interview, then in the sit down with Dave Krieger and Sandy Clough let these two "journalists" shit on the franchise (they had a moment of dig on Tebow from nowhere, it was actually embarrassing). With just opinions, based on no facts. Basically ripped the Broncos for the mistakes of 2 years ago yet gave them no credit for attempting to change the tide. It was a hard watch

You are 100% WRONG! Abso-freaking-lutely WRONG! Kreiger and Clough have been professional journalists covering the Broncos for decades! They were RIGHT-ON in their analysis!

If you would stop kissing Tebow's butt for 2 seconds and attacking everybody who questions him, you'd see that they offered a very SOUND critique of the franchise.

They pointed out the following FACTS (most of which had NOTHING to do with Tebow at all!):

1. The Broncos organization is trying to pretend that "it was all McDaniels' fault." That Joe Ellis and Brian Xanders were just innocent lambs led to the slaughter. They didn't agree with any of the disastrous personnel decisions he made.

2. Although Bowlen said publicly that "no coach" would be given the powers Mike Shanahan had, within 4 months, somehow McDaniels had made a "bloodless coup" in which he seized the "final say" over all personnel decisions from Xanders -- who disagreed but "was a good soldier."

3. Yet, during the run-up to the draft, McDaniels himself said that Xanders was "preparing the draft and the board."

4. That "they're talking about consensus decision making, but that's exactly what they said when they brought in McDaniels. "There's not one team in the NFL that has won a championship with this kind of organizational structure" -- meaning 3 guys (Elway, Xanders and the HC) all having overlapping authority -- Elway saying that both Xanders and the new coach will have a say and they'll "reach a consensus."

5. A LOT will depend on how quickly Elway can learn his position. But, he's never done this before. And Xanders is nowhere near as innocent in all the disasters as he's now pretending.

6. Given the utter failure of McDaniels, when they shipped him out, why didn't they start completely fresh and bring in a TOP ELITE GM and give him total control? When the Chiefs were faced with this kind of situation, they brought in Scott Pioli and gave HIM the authority. And, 2 years later they win the division and get into the playoffs with a good young team. They will get better as they gain more experience.

Whatever you think about the Broncos, those are all good questions! You shouldn't let rigid HOMERISM blind you to the very questionable way that this off-season purge was handled! All the blame was shoveled onto McDaniels and Joe Ellis and Xanders emerge with PROMOTIONS!

That is NOT how normally teams handle a disastrous regime like the last 2 years.

It MIGHT work out -- IF Elway can learn his job very quickly, and IF Xanders really IS some kind of repressed genius who was stifled in making all the correct moves by the evil McDaniels.

But, that kind of story is very difficult to believe! It's far more likely that Xanders has MUCH more responsibility for the mistakes than he's making out.

And, as for Joe Ellis, what's his excuse for letting things degenerate as they did? He was in total control after all!

That was the substance of Clough and Krieger's analysis. And, you'll notice that not very much of it was about Tebow at all!

So, control your Tebow fetish and stop attacking anybody who even dares to question the new savior! :coffee: