PDA

View Full Version : Info on PErry Fewell

Agent of Orange
01-10-2011, 12:04 AM
These are league rankings for the Giants' defense.

2009 2010
Yards 13 7
Rush 14 8
Pass 15 10
TO 22 1
Ints 22 14
Sacks 18 5
Pts 30 17
Off TO 22 32

The Giants players hated playing for their defensive coordinator in 2009. This year, under Fewell, you can see drastic improvement. I included the offensive turnovers to show why they didn't rank higher in points allowed.

SR
01-10-2011, 12:35 AM
And this was pretty much with the same players from '09 to '10.

Agent of Orange
01-10-2011, 12:46 AM
And this was pretty much with the same players from '09 to '10.

Pretty much. As I said, they hated their previous defensive coordinator. Obviously it wasnt a problem here. There was definitely some talent on the Giants defense but there's something to say about them performing how they should, which they did under Fewell.

Of all the candidates, Id say he's my #2 guy...at least of the ones I can think of at the moment. I still like Dennison but Id also be in favor of Fewell.

SR
01-10-2011, 12:57 AM
None of our candidates make my pants tight, but I'd be okay with Fewell. So far, of all the guys I've heard of that we have a shot at landing, Fewell seems like he'd be the best fit in my opinion.

Agent of Orange
01-10-2011, 12:59 AM
None of our candidates make my pants tight, but I'd be okay with Fewell. So far, of all the guys I've heard of that we have a shot at landing, Fewell seems like he'd be the best fit in my opinion.

Did you see his video thats up at denverbroncos.com? If not, I recommend watching it. My #1 would be Dennison. Fewell would be my #2.

dogfish
01-10-2011, 04:14 AM
fewell also did dramtically better than veteran coach jauron in his half-year replacing jauron as the buffalo interim. . . and that was with jauron's coaches and schemes. . .

TXBRONC
01-10-2011, 09:42 AM
I don't think it matters which side of the ball the new coach is versed in because he surrounds himself with quality personnel on the coaching staff and the roster he stands a very good chance of succeeding.

BeefStew25
01-10-2011, 10:01 AM
I think Fewell is our Rooney Rule guy. My sources tell me he is black.

Juriga72
01-10-2011, 10:01 AM
meh..... dc maybe

Juriga72
01-10-2011, 10:02 AM
fewell also did dramtically better than veteran coach jauron in his half-year replacing jauron as the buffalo interim. . . and that was with jauron's coaches and schemes. . .

Jauron might be the worst NFL coach ever...LOL

BroncoNut
01-10-2011, 10:03 AM
was fewell fired from the giants?

Juriga72
01-10-2011, 10:08 AM
was fewell fired from the giants?

Nope..... BUT I am sure we could "Pull" him away....lmao

BroncoNut
01-10-2011, 10:11 AM
does he have any HC experience?

Agent of Orange
01-10-2011, 10:27 AM
I don't think it matters which side of the ball the new coach is versed in because he surrounds himself with quality personnel on the coaching staff and the roster he stands a very good chance of succeeding.

I dont either but it seems like guys play hard for him. When you watch that video, you can kind of see why.

Dzone
01-10-2011, 10:33 AM
For fans to really decide who is best, we should have access to interviews. At least have each candidate give 5 minutes on why they think they deserve the job.

Dzone
01-10-2011, 10:36 AM
we need to keep it PC and go the route CU did

Dzone
01-10-2011, 10:45 AM
well, I searched all over youtube for any kind of perry fewell press conference and couldnt find crap

OK, heres a good radio interview with fewelll...the guy sounds impressive
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1cU0iCibdw

Cugel
01-10-2011, 12:25 PM
I don't think it matters which side of the ball the new coach is versed in IF he surrounds himself with quality personnel on the coaching staff, and lets his coaches coach, and the roster he stands a very good chance of succeeding.

There. I've fixed it for you. :coffee:

The problem with having defensive coordinators as HC is that they tend to want to have strong defenses and conservative offenses that don't make too many mistakes that get the defense in trouble (like Dan Reeves or Ravens' Brian Billick). Offensive coordinators who become HCs (like Mike Shanahan) want to build a great offense with lots of schemes -- but tend to neglect the defense -- especially if they have any say over player personnel.

Having a REALLY strong GM with independent powers over drafting and FA helps to balance things, but the problem remains -- overemphasis on one side of the team.

The problem can be overcome IF the HC is essentially a humble man who will let his DC or OC run things and not try to control everything the way McDaniels and Shanahan tried to do. But, most football coaches ARE control freaks who can't let anything go outside their eagle eyes.

The attitude seems to be "what this coordinator does might get me fired, so I'd better make sure I'm in control of every little thing."

A perfect example of this is when Dan Reeves fired Shanahan for getting together with Elway and scripting plays "behind his back." It never occurred to that moron that "Gee! Maybe these plays might make the team better by better utilizing Elway's amazing skill. Maybe I should not only permit it, but should ENCOURAGE this team-work."

But, no! Reeves just saw the entire incident as a threat to his authority -- and he fired Shanahan and tried to get Elway traded! He had a permanent grudge against Elway and Pat Bowlen (for siding with Elway against him).

Typical! It seems like unless you can find a great coach with the humility and self-confidence like Tony Dungee to just let his coaches coach and his players play to their potential, you have to choose between offensive and defensive control freaks! :coffee:

Well, if that's the choice then get an OFFENSIVE coach, because the NFL rules are geared towards the OFFENSE -- especially the passing rules: you can't even breath on the QB, you can't even look at the WR past 5 yards or it's a 15 yard penalty. :coffee:

Cugel
01-10-2011, 12:43 PM
Transcript of that Fewell interview from when he came in January 2010 and became the Giants DC (New York Radio interview):

"I believe philosophically in the mental preparation of our football team. I want to be fundamentally sound. I want to be a disciplined defense. I believe you play with team defense, and with unity. And I like to be multiple in what I do and aggressive and attacking in what I do.

"I'm an excited kind of guy. I'm an emotional kind of guy. I might chest bump a player, I might slap a player on the butt. I get hyped! That's me, that's my type of personality. I enjoy the game of football. I loved playing football, I love coaching football and I love seeing players play football. So, I'm looking for a high energy type of defense."

Q: "You're blessed with more [good] defensive linemen than most defenses. Do believe in being very aggressive, attacking the QB no matter what it takes?"

A: "That's the objective. Those guys make a lot of money, and I believe the more uncomfortable you can make that guy the better!"

Sounds good to me. It would certainly be a change to have a defense like that. Sounds like he would come in here and emphasize creating a good DL to get pressure on the QB.

Of course, this says nothing about whether he'd be a good HC as opposed to coordinator. But, instilling that kind of aggressive attacking defense would clearly be a priority for him! And that's not bad at all as far as it goes.

Juriga72
01-10-2011, 01:37 PM
No wonder the Giants didn't make the playoffs.... They were 17th in points allowed. Poor offense had to go out and score 400 points every game just to win.

shank
01-10-2011, 01:44 PM
No wonder the Giants didn't make the playoffs.... They were 17th in points allowed. Poor offense had to go out and score 400 points every game just to win.

interesting analysis.

slim
01-10-2011, 02:16 PM
interesting analysis.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Agent of Orange
01-10-2011, 02:16 PM

One of the big reasons they've given up so many points is offensive turnovers. Look at the stats in the OP. It's pretty obvious.

BroncoStud
01-10-2011, 02:27 PM
I could care less about how many points they did or didn't give up. They are out of the playoffs because they had one of the biggest meltdowns in defensive history against the Eagles.

I don't think Fewell deserves all the blame for that but he is the coordinator and it's his job not to allow that to happen.

He may be an overall solid DC but the Denver Broncos don't need to settle for less than the best. I don't know why this franchise is suddenly on the level of the Bengals, Browns, Cardinals, etc, etc. 1 bad season doesn't mean we should lower our expectations.

I am not sure why, and I can't confirm it 100%, but for some whatever reason John Elway made a very unimpressive list of candidates, losing out on the only demanded coach he was interested in, Jim Harbaugh, before he could even land an interview.

I agree with taking your time but the list of guys Elway appears to want is seemingly crap. We can do better.

shank
01-10-2011, 03:30 PM
I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

things can be interesting for a multitude of reasons.

slim
01-10-2011, 04:46 PM
things can be interesting for a multitude of reasons.

interesting analysis

JDL
01-10-2011, 06:46 PM

What Eric Studesville isn't black enough to qualify? :rolleyes:

Dzone
01-10-2011, 07:22 PM
we are scrapin the bottom of the barrel now. Whatever scraps are left, thats what we are going to get

BeefStew25
01-10-2011, 07:28 PM
we are scrapin the bottom of the barrel now. Whatever scraps are left, thats what we are going to get

http://images.tvrage.com/shows/4/3256.jpg

BeefStew25
01-10-2011, 07:29 PM
What Eric Studesville isn't black enough to qualify? :rolleyes:

Oh. I forgot about him. Well, I guess we are in full compliance.

broken12
01-10-2011, 09:07 PM
Bring him in draft.this nick farley guy ....he's a beast
p