PDA

View Full Version : The Fewell interview is under way....

PAINTERDAVE
01-09-2011, 03:04 PM
The Broncos' interview with Giants DC Perry Fewell has begun.

http://twitpic.com/3oiwxx

Also from Gary Miller's twitter twitter.com/thegarymiller

Just greeted Perry Fewell at DIA. His plan to improve Broncos pass rush "get Elvis back."
Fewell very humbled to have opportunity. Also interviewing with Browns. Already interviewed with Panthers.

Ravage!!!
01-09-2011, 03:05 PM
Phwew.... I thought this fanbase might panic or something. :lol:

BroncoNut
01-09-2011, 03:05 PM
good luck to Mr. Fewell.

PAINTERDAVE
01-09-2011, 03:06 PM
Check the framed Atwater jersey in the background.

Name all the guys around the table...

HORSEPOWER 56
01-09-2011, 03:12 PM
Check the framed Atwater jersey in the background.

Name all the guys around the table...

I recognize Elway, Ellis, and Xanders. Is the guy in the gray sportcoat Steve "Greek" Antonopolous? That's who it looks like. The younger guy next to Xanders I don't recognize but I assume he's probably Xander's assistant.

Obviously the guy at the head of the table is Fewell.

PAINTERDAVE
01-09-2011, 03:14 PM
Pat Bowlen is conspicuous by his absence...

HORSEPOWER 56
01-09-2011, 03:18 PM
Pat Bowlen is conspicuous by his absence...

Yep. plausible deniability I guess.

DenBronx
01-09-2011, 03:28 PM
elway: so mr fewell, would you say you would call in the plays on game day for offense?

fewell: well...no my cordinators can call in the plays...i think that...

ellis: so your saying you have no experience of any play calling?

fewell: ...uh yeah i mean...sometimes...i...i

elway: what would you say...that you would exactlly do around here?

fewell: look, i already told you....i deal with the damn players so my cordinators dont have to. i HAVE PEOPLE SKILLS, I AM GOOD WITH DEALING WITH PLAYERS. CANT YOU UNDERSTAND THAT? WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE???

Denver Native (Carol)
01-09-2011, 03:31 PM
One of them could be the unidentified head (coach) hunter this article refers to. If so, guess he will not be unidentified anymore, unless he is just participating in the search, and not the interviews?

The Broncos' search committee - John Elway, Pat Bowlen, Brian Xanders and an unidentified head (coach) hunter

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/nfl/broncos/

According to the following:

The consultant will sit in on the face-to-face interviews with Elway, Broncos owner Pat Bowlen, team president Joe Ellis and general manager Brian Xanders.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17020936

HORSEPOWER 56
01-09-2011, 03:43 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/Coaching-Search-Fewell/79809491-0a2b-462d-be5b-68772bebf450

Here's some video and some commentary by Fewell after his arrival.

gobroncsnv
01-09-2011, 05:49 PM
well, with any luck the Broncos will be smart enough to see that people like Fewell and Spags look a LOT smarter with people like Tuck and Umenyiora around... at some point, the talent matters... (as in 95%)

jhildebrand
01-09-2011, 06:15 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/Coaching-Search-Fewell/79809491-0a2b-462d-be5b-68772bebf450

Here's some video and some commentary by Fewell after his arrival.

I like Fewell. I am kind of pulling for him right now. That video only makes me like him more.

well, with any luck the Broncos will be smart enough to see that people like Fewell and Spags look a LOT smarter with people like Tuck and Umenyiora around... at some point, the talent matters... (as in 95%)

Great point. Having coached talent like that, I think he can also help locate talent like that too.

Ziggy
01-09-2011, 06:27 PM
I love the fact that the Broncos took the time to involve the fans in the interview process with that video. I'm guessing this is part of the new effort by Elway and the front office to get the fans more in touch with the team. We never would have seen that much in years prior.

Buff
01-09-2011, 06:43 PM
One of them could be the unidentified head (coach) hunter this article refers to. If so, guess he will not be unidentified anymore, unless he is just participating in the search, and not the interviews?

The Broncos' search committee - John Elway, Pat Bowlen, Brian Xanders and an unidentified head (coach) hunter

The consultant will sit in on the face-to-face interviews with Elway, Broncos owner Pat Bowlen, team president Joe Ellis and general manager Brian Xanders.

That's definitely who it is... I'm curious as to who that person is. I was with Dogfish, the idea of a corporate headhunter sitting in on interviews seemed kind of amateurish, but if the headhunter is a former coach then that makes more sense.

Agent of Orange
01-09-2011, 06:53 PM
Here is the wikipedia entry for him for those interested:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perry_Fewell

Count me in as someone who likes this guy. He might not be my #1 but if they chose him, I think I could get behind him. He was quite likeable from that video. He also has a good background.

And just so everyone knows, his team was the first to put together the major component for the "how to defend Vick" blue print, which was to not let him escpape to his left, flush him out of the pocket to his right, and then put a hit on him.

dogfish
01-09-2011, 07:00 PM
I recognize Elway, Ellis, and Xanders. Is the guy in the gray sportcoat Steve "Greek" Antonopolous? That's who it looks like. The younger guy next to Xanders I don't recognize but I assume he's probably Xander's assistant.

Obviously the guy at the head of the table is Fewell.

"who's that guy?"

"that's the consultant! that's the guy i told you about!"

Agent of Orange
01-09-2011, 07:01 PM
"who's that guy?"

"that's the consultant! that's the guy i told you about!"

I like the pic and caption you have.

dogfish
01-09-2011, 07:07 PM
just another business guy-- putting (coach) in parenthesis between the words "head" and "hunter" just looks like a cutesy little bit word play. . . our front office is a bunch of businessmen, and that seems to be the only model they understand. . .

you need to get football people if you want good football decisions made. . . all the friggin' accountants and lawyers in the world aren't going to fix this. . .

dogfish
01-09-2011, 07:08 PM
I like the pic and caption you have.

gracias. . . i'm trying to hold out hope. . .

:D

Buff
01-09-2011, 07:09 PM
just another business guy-- putting (coach) in parenthesis between the words "head" and "hunter" just looks like a cutesy little bit word play. . . our front office is a bunch of businessmen, and that seems to be the only model they understand. . .

you need to get football people if you want good football decisions made. . . all the friggin' accountants and lawyers in the world aren't going to fix this. . .

You're right, I misinterpreted that to mean the headhunter was a former coach...

But it just means he's hunting for a head coach.

Agent of Orange
01-09-2011, 07:12 PM

Dont you think thats what the presence of Elway represents? It kind of seems like after the McDaniels debacle, the front office realized that running a football team isnt as easy as it looks. They threw their hands up in the air and brought in Elway, who accomplishes a number of objectives, including football input and also extending an olive branch to the fan base.

dogfish
01-09-2011, 07:14 PM
You're right, I misinterpreted that to mean the headhunter was a former coach...

But it just means he's hunting for a head coach.

with all the money he saved by not getting a real GM, bowlen is probably paying an expensive PR firm to determine which of their preferred third-rate coaching candidates will be least objectionable to the fanbase. . .

Sinthor
01-09-2011, 07:36 PM
I love the fact that the Broncos took the time to involve the fans in the interview process with that video. I'm guessing this is part of the new effort by Elway and the front office to get the fans more in touch with the team. We never would have seen that much in years prior.

I agree, it's nice to see the team trying to draw the public into the process. Hopefully they'll stick with it even though doing things that way is also going to take a lot of fire from people who don't agree with their actions or choices. On the whole though I think it's a win for the team as the majority of fans will appreciate the effort.

Again, I don't care AS MUCH about the HC as I do the coordinators and the QB coach. After all, the HC PROBABLY won't be calling the plays and he doesn't work consistently with the QB to develop him. I mean as far as a HC goes, he's going to pretty much dictate what "system" is used in Denver, offensively and defensively. With the offense, either way, Tebow's going to have to learn a new system as it's doubtful someone's going to be running the exact same thing as McDaniels did. So you've got that, but then you need someone who's going to work full time with and focus on Tebow's development as well as the backup QB's. That's hugely important for this next season and for the team long term as they look to see if Tebow will be "the guy." Wonder if any of the candidates so far have ties to a strong, proven QB coach who has helped develop other young QB's?

TXBRONC
01-10-2011, 10:03 AM

I think that's true with every coach.

Look at McDaniels, the guy is smart and looked like a genious at New England because of the personnel they had on the field. The one that most especially made him look like genious is the guy who has lined up behind center for 10 of the last 11 seasons.

BroncoStud
01-10-2011, 10:08 AM
I think that's true with every coach.

Look at McDaniels, the guy is smart and looked like a genious at New England because of the personnel they had on the field. The one that most especially made him look like genious is the guy who has lined up behind center for 10 of the last 11 seasons.

Yeah, this Patriots offense (2010) might be the best and most balanced yet... The playcalling is great.