PDA

View Full Version : Hall of Fame announces 17 finalists for Class of 2011

Denver Native (Carol)
01-09-2011, 02:41 PM
» Shannon Sharpe, TE (1990-99, 2002-03 Denver Broncos, 2000-01 Baltimore Ravens)

The following 11 semifinalists didn't make the cut:

» Terrell Davis, RB (1995-2001 Denver Broncos)

http://www.nfl.com/halloffame/story/09000d5d81d90a09/article/hall-of-fame-announces-17-finalists-for-class-of-2011?module=HP_headlines

Northman
01-09-2011, 02:42 PM
I think if Davis even made the shortlist he will eventually get in which is a good sign.

DenBronx
01-09-2011, 02:44 PM
it would be great to see them both get in the same year.

Ravage!!!
01-09-2011, 02:46 PM
Tough class. Hopefully Sharpe gets in this time around.

atwater27
01-09-2011, 02:46 PM
I would select Faulk, Haley, Sanders, Sharpe, Dawson

Poet
01-09-2011, 02:47 PM
I would select Faulk, Haley, Sanders, Sharpe, Dawson

Sanders, Sharpe, Faulk, Carter and Roaf would be my list.

I was kinda surprised that Tagliabue didn't get in.

Ravage!!!
01-09-2011, 02:49 PM
I would take:

Tim Brown
Marshall Faulk
Charles Haley
Shannon Sharpe
Cris Carter

Juriga72
01-09-2011, 02:52 PM
Sorry guys.... I would have to add Ray Guy to the list of getting in... DUDE was incredible

PAINTERDAVE
01-09-2011, 02:54 PM
Davis just did not get enough playing time in to satisfy the "experts".

The migraine problem he had killed his career..
and very likely his chance at the HoF.

He DESERVES it... but the short career is holding it up.

Ravage!!!
01-09-2011, 02:59 PM

Uhmmm.. it was the blown out knee that killed his career, not his headaches.

zbeg
01-09-2011, 09:33 PM

His career was pretty short - really only four good years. I don't think four years makes a Hall of Fame career. His peak value was extremely high, but his career value is low, all things considered.

People point to Gale Sayers being in the HOF with similar numbers, but Sayers also had a huge impact on the return game, and even then I think he's a very very borderline case and might have been a mistake. Having one mistake does not justify compounding it by making another.

EMB6903
01-09-2011, 09:56 PM
Terrell Davis accomplished everything he needed to in such a short career. People think Im crazy when I say this but there isnt a more deserving Bronco then TD.

League MVP
Superbowl MVP
2 Superbowl Rings
Pro Bowl
All Pro
2000+ yards rushing
7 career 100+ yard rushing performances in 8 playoff games (other being 90)

Absolute dominance.

KCL
01-09-2011, 10:27 PM
Big Willie Roaf is being considered...wonder if Shields ever will be.

SR
01-09-2011, 10:30 PM

Uhh...the blown knee killed his career.

Skinny
01-09-2011, 11:19 PM
Terrell Davis accomplished everything he needed to in such a short career. People think Im crazy when I say this but there isnt a more deserving Bronco then TD.

League MVP
Superbowl MVP
2 Superbowl Rings
Pro Bowl
All Pro
2000+ yards rushing
7 career 100+ yard rushing performances in 8 playoff games (other being 90)

Absolute dominance.And from the HOF were his game jersey hangs...

Just the third player in NFL history to reach the 1,000-yard mark in seven games. (Jim Brown, O.J. Simpson)

His most impressive accomplishment IMO.

dogfish
01-10-2011, 04:41 AM
sanders, sharpe, faulk, carter, doleman. . . .

HORSEPOWER 56
01-10-2011, 09:02 AM
Terrell Davis, Rod Smith, Shannon Sharpe, Steve Atwater, Randy Gradishar.

I think it's reasonable...

Dzone
01-10-2011, 09:52 AM
Ridiculous. The Hall of fame is a sham. How can Terrell Davis possibly not be in????? Its a joke

Nomad
01-10-2011, 09:58 AM
Ridiculous. The Hall of fame is a sham. How can Terrell Davis possibly not be in????? Its a joke

BRONCO fans say this every year after the finalists are named, but they still get wound up even though they know the HOF is bias!!

studbucket did a good job promoting Floyd Little!!

Juriga72
01-10-2011, 10:07 AM

I hatre to disagree with you ...BUT..... IF any Bronco needs to be in its Randy first, THEN Floyd.......... THEN... only THEN Terrell

Dzone
01-10-2011, 10:20 AM
Well, I think its ridiculous that Gradisar is not in!!!!Gradisar was robbed!!!!!Its bullshyt. The HOF doesnt mean as much as it used to. too many worthy players arent in. People are always comparing Gale sayers stats to T. Davis...

G_Money
01-10-2011, 06:27 PM
As I have said on the TD front before:

There are 27 modern RBs in the HOF (1950 onward). How does the fewest games played go?

Doak Walker: 67 (played 50-55, not really as a HB, elected 86)
Gale Sayers: 68 (played 65-71)
Charley Trippi: 99 (played 47-55, elected 68)
Paul Hornung: 104 (played 57-62, 64-65, elected 86)
Marion Motley: 106 (played 46-55, elected 68)
Earl Campbell: 115 (played 78-85, elected 91)
Floyd Little: 117 (played 67-75, elected 10)
Jim Brown: 118 (played 57-65)

Terrell Davis played in 81 games.

Of all the running backs in the last 50+ years, the only guys with fewer games who got elected were a guy who played QB, HB, WR, KR, et al and the inestimable Gale Sayers who had a very famous movie made about him (Brian's Song). Nobody on this list played in the last 20 years, and Campbell's the only one who played in the last 35.

It's possible that he makes it in - I just don't expect it any time soon, judging by the lack of respect Broncos get generally and the extreme amounts of time it took guys like Hornung and Walker and Little to get in.

Shannon Sharpe, though...I certainly hope HE at least gets in this year. When you retire with every major receiving record for your position, you should probably make it.

~G

Poet
01-10-2011, 06:49 PM

When you're among non-Bronco fans and you speak of the best backs ever, I have never once heard anyone chime in about Terrell Davis.

You look at the team and the offensive line he played on. You look at the fact that his career was pretty much four years and lacked longevity.

When you look at a career, you want to know how long a player was great for. You want to know how they did in the good and bad times. Can that player carry a bad team? Was he a product of the team he was on, or were players around him a product of his play? Was it a little of both?

When you look at TD's career, we know that he was a monster on a team with one of the best offensive lines, tight ends and quarterbacks of all time with one of the best offensive minds the league will know.

Being a Hall of Famer is more than just being a monster during your peak years. Almost every HoFer (I'm discounting guys like Bradshaw who have no business being in the Hall) was a complete monster in their prime years. That's a prereq.

How good are you when you're not in a perfect situation? How good are you when you're still physically capable but not in your prime?

Every single stat for Terrell Davis screams "during this short span this guy bent teams over." That's fantastic, but you don't get into the hall of fame, where the best who ever played are immortalized by destroying the league for three years.

He was relevant for four years.

http://www.nfl.com/players/terrelldavis/profile?id=DAV766905

Of those four years, he was only great in three of those years.

I understand the argument. His career was this long, brief but brilliant. On track for one of the greatest careers to ever happen. He stepped into the playoffs and embarrassed defenses. He was a touchdown machine. He was the best back in football when Barry friggen Sanders was playing.

But he's not a Hall of Famer.

His career is what it is - four years of relevance and three brilliant seasons.

Gale Sayers was a glaring mistake.

honz
01-10-2011, 06:53 PM
Carson Palmer.

Poet
01-10-2011, 06:59 PM
Carson Palmer.

Is probably a worse running back than Terrel Davis.

weazel
01-10-2011, 08:40 PM
Carson Palmer.

Jordan Palmer

???