PDA

View Full Version : Paige: Rivera, Dennison in rush to help

DenBronx
01-09-2011, 03:26 AM
This makes the most sense. I was thinking the other day if Dennison would accept a role with the Broncos as Assistant HC/OC with Rivera as HC. This tremendously helps the teams.

Lets face it. Both of these guys are looking for a real shot and Dennison loves Bronco football. Hey....at least we comply with the rooney rule and can keep a 3-4!

read the article here. http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_17045548?source=rss

Juriga72
01-09-2011, 07:48 AM
I would be very happy with this.....
Bring in Fox as Dc...damn playoffs..... PLAYOFFS????

claymore
01-09-2011, 08:16 AM
If Dennison could return our offense Im truly excited to see Moreno and Tebow in it. Man would teams have to respect the bootleg!

camdisco24
01-09-2011, 10:24 AM
Rivera as HC
Dennison-OC
Fox-DC

Sounds pretty good to me.... Didn't even consider that lineup until I read that. Thats a team full of GOOD experience. Prob a far fetch, but I'd be stoked if we could line that up.

Superchop 7
01-09-2011, 02:40 PM
I like it too. Proven guys.

Juriga72
01-09-2011, 02:53 PM
I like it too. Proven guys.

Yup... I think we know what happens to these "Young guns".... they shoot blanks

Ravage!!!
01-09-2011, 02:55 PM
whats the rooney rule have to do with the 3-4??

We've already complied with the rooney rule :lol: because Studes. Lets please let that go as if we can't hire anyone.

PAINTERDAVE
01-09-2011, 02:57 PM
The article is just a bunch of loose ideas thrown around by Paige.

Nothing new or informative.

I'd LOVE Rivera as HC with Dennison as OC...

but the article is just disjointed and does not really suggest it.

Ravage!!!
01-09-2011, 02:58 PM
Dennison is the OC in Houston. We can't hire him as the OC in Denver unless Houston fires him. If they don't, we can't make a unilateral hire without promoting him.

Superchop 7
01-09-2011, 03:49 PM
Assistant Head Coach......(yes you can make the move)

turftoad
01-09-2011, 03:52 PM
Dennison is the OC in Houston. We can't hire him as the OC in Denver unless Houston fires him. If they don't, we can't make a unilateral hire without promoting him.

But........ if you the Asst HC to it, it would be OK, cuz it's a promotion.

AsstHC/OC

rcsodak
01-09-2011, 06:07 PM
Rivera as HC
Dennison-OC
Fox-DC

Sounds pretty good to me.... Didn't even consider that lineup until I read that. Thats a team full of GOOD experience. Prob a far fetch, but I'd be stoked if we could line that up.
Why would dennison be an OC in denver over his CURRENT status of OC with Houston?
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

rcsodak
01-09-2011, 06:10 PM
But........ if you the Asst HC to it, it would be OK, cuz it's a promotion.

AsstHC/OC
Pretty sure Kubes would just have them add the AHC title vs starting over. :coffee:
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

jhildebrand
01-09-2011, 06:17 PM
If I am Rico, why would I leave Houston as OC to come to Denver as OC? :confused:

Superchop 7
01-09-2011, 06:41 PM
Because

pnbronco
01-09-2011, 07:14 PM
Have you even been in Houston in the summer? You sweat with just breathing, the bugs are just nasty and nothing is zoned. I think I remember Rico being good friends with John too. Like chop said because......:D

dogfish
01-10-2011, 04:39 AM
If I am Rico, why would I leave Houston as OC to come to Denver as OC? :confused:

because if denver is offering you the job it probably comes with the assistant head coach/offense title and resulting bump in pay grade and potential consideration for HC jobs, plus the play-calling responsiblities that don't come with the title in houston, where dennison is really just gary's clipboard holder and glorified O-line coach?

tsiguy96
01-10-2011, 06:11 AM
Assistant Head Coach......(yes you can make the move)

im about 85% sure that is not technically a promotion. ill check later today

OrangeHoof
01-10-2011, 10:52 AM
I don't know why Fox would settle for a DC gig this early in the game and why he would stay around any longer than Mike Nolan if he did.

Having Fox as HC and Rivera as DC makes more sense.

BroncoStud
01-10-2011, 11:26 AM
I don't know why Fox would settle for a DC gig this early in the game and why he would stay around any longer than Mike Nolan if he did.

Rivera is arlready the DC for San Diego, a better team than us, he isn't coming to Denver as DC. The question I have is why anyone would want Fox to be our HC. Wouldn't you rather give a good coordinator a shot than a coach who got run out of town?

TXBRONC
01-10-2011, 11:40 AM

If that's all he's offered I think you can't blow it off. He has a good resume but it may not be strong enough that a team looking for a head coach might still go with a coach that is inexperienced.

sanluis
01-10-2011, 11:53 AM

:confused:

Rivera as DC??? He is already a DC... you have to make him HC or he stays were he is under contract. Same for the other cords being bantered about here...

The only candidate that worries me so far is Fox. He coached here in SD and is really good. I sure hope he doesn't go to Denver!!! :D

TXBRONC
01-10-2011, 12:17 PM
:confused:

Rivera as DC??? He is already a DC... you have to make him HC or he stays were he is under contract. Same for the other cords being bantered about here...

The only candidate that worries me so far is Fox. He coached here in SD and is really good. I sure hope he doesn't go to Denver!!! :D

With you saying Fox would worry you if he was the head coach then we need go in the opposite direction. If mistaken you were telling us Jamal Williams would be a terrific addition to our team and he wasn't by stretch. :D

sanluis
01-10-2011, 01:09 PM
With you saying Fox would worry you if he was the head coach then we need go in the opposite direction. If mistaken you were telling us Jamal Williams would be a terrific addition to our team and he wasn't by stretch. :D

Hey now, ... I said I hoped he was done but that I was afraid he would be able to give you a few good downs. His knees were just a little too tired after all these years. So tha worked out fine! :D

Still, fox was a great coach for us while he was here and was part of the staff that went to the Super bowl with us back in 94. I hope you do go the other way. that would be fine with me!! :D

TXBRONC
01-10-2011, 01:11 PM
Hey now, ... I said I hoped he was done but that I was afraid he would be able to give you a few good downs. His knees were just a little too tired after all these years. So tha worked out fine! :D

Still, fox was a great coach for us while he was here and was part of the staff that went to the Super bowl with us back in 94. I hope you do go the other way. that would be fine with me!! :D

Be careful what you for wee might find the next Mike Smith.

If Fox is hired I'm fine with that. I just want the next coach to be successful.

Cugel
01-10-2011, 01:39 PM
because if denver is offering you the job it probably comes with the assistant head coach/offense title and resulting bump in pay grade and potential consideration for HC jobs, plus the play-calling responsiblities that don't come with the title in houston, where dennison is really just gary's clipboard holder and glorified O-line coach?

This is all true. The ONLY reason Dennison would come here to be an OC, is that with a DEFENSIVE minded head-coach, he could be given de facto control over the offense, instead of having an OFFENSIVE HC basically creating the scheme and scripting the plays and he's just implementing somebody else's design.

IT would actually be a big step up. Not a HC job yet, but a step in that direction.

But, it would depend on the Broncos hiring a HC would would tolerate that, and not want to control everything and bring in his OWN coordinator who would answer to HIM and have control over the offense.

MOST HCs want to control over everything --- even if they aren't really any good at running an offense, they still want to do it. Both Shanahan and McDaniels suffered severely from this malady. Neither could create or coach a defense but NEITHER could tolerate anybody else doing things THEIR way either! :coffee:

(If McDaniels hadn't been such an egomaniac that he couldn't tolerate Nolan, he'd probably still have his job -- be thankful for small favors)!

Unfortunately, there's no indication that Rivera would actually accept such a situation where somebody else would control "his" offense and leave him the overall control over the team and the defense.

And there's been no hint that Rivera is even going to be interviewed. He's such an obvious candidate that it's hard to see why not, when he was two years ago, but perhaps he didn't impress Joe Ellis when he was interviewed back in 2009. We don't know. We just know there's been NO HINT the team is interested in him. :coffee:

Cugel
01-10-2011, 01:42 PM

The problem is that Fox got his coaching start back during the Civil War. And there's a limit to how long you can do this without burning out! How long would he last? :coffee:

Still, fox was a great coach for us while he was here and was part of the staff that went to the Super bowl with us back in 94. I hope you do go the other way. that would be fine with me!!

Kinda makes my point. He was good back in '94. And not all the girls who were hot back in '94 are still hot today either! :coffee:

DenBronx
01-10-2011, 02:27 PM
We might as well forget about Rivera. He is having his 2nd interview with the Panthers today and we have yet to even bring him in.

The Fox interview will be delayed till Wens due to the weather at the airport.

BroncoStud
01-10-2011, 02:34 PM
John Fox... What a damn joke.

73-71 in a traditionally weak division... His offenses are boring, non-imaginative, predictable...

IMO, this is worst-case scenario. I would take a flier on ANY of the other candidates before we bring in John Fox. An experienced HC doesn't mean he is the best available.

If we hire him Elway is basically accepting mediocrity. I'd rather have Fassel FFS.

I Eat Staples
01-10-2011, 04:27 PM
As another poster said, I think John Fox was/is a very good coach, but I think he'll need a year or two off before he's ready to be a good coach again. Probably a few years.

Rarely does an old coach who had success but then went downhill get fired from one team and have success with another team the very next year. Fox will be a good coach again, but not next year. I hope we aren't the team to help him figure that out.

BeefStew25
01-10-2011, 04:30 PM
Is Ron Rivera a mulatto?

slim
01-10-2011, 04:55 PM
im about 85% sure that is not technically a promotion. ill check later today

You are 100% wrong.

BroncoStud
01-10-2011, 05:10 PM
Let's all just hope that Rick Dennison goes into his interview and hits a homerun and has a great plan laid out for Elway to cream over. Hopefully he will specifically address the defense and has good prospects on who his DC would be and why they are best for the job.

If we aren't going after a GOOD coach let's go after a SMART coach, and one with strong Denver ties. One of the mistakes we made with McDumbshit was the fact that he had no Denver ties, he could care less about the Broncos.

Juriga72
01-10-2011, 05:13 PM
Get a coach who can coach, not just think he can

Agent of Orange
01-10-2011, 05:16 PM
Let's all just hope that Rick Dennison goes into his interview and hits a homerun and has a great plan laid out for Elway to cream over. Hopefully he will specifically address the defense and has good prospects on who his DC would be and why they are best for the job.

If we aren't going after a GOOD coach let's go after a SMART coach, and one with strong Denver ties. One of the mistakes we made with McDumbshit was the fact that he had no Denver ties, he could care less about the Broncos.

The word on the street is that he did exactly that last time. If only he had done his presentation in power point like Josh did so Joe Ellis could have creamed his pants for Dennison too.

BroncoStud
01-10-2011, 05:18 PM
The word on the street is that he did exactly that last time. If only he had done his presentation in power point like Josh did so Joe Ellis could have creamed his pants for Dennison too.

Well, hopefully it works on Elway. One has to think that Elway will give Dennison consideration. Since we screwed up and didn't go after Rivera, and since we aren't even trying to go after Gruden or Cowher, Dennison or Studesville are my favorite candidates of what we seem to be pursuing.

Dzone
01-10-2011, 05:41 PM
Well, we have lost any chance at Rivera. We had better get busy or we are going to be left with what scraps are left over.

DenBronx
01-10-2011, 06:18 PM
I would much rather Dennison over Fox as HC. I hope we steer clear on any 4-3 DC's...

jhildebrand
01-10-2011, 07:41 PM

Bowlen is already going to be paying three coaches, Elway, a true GM in Xanders (a position he hasn't had to account for in the past) and

now he is going to pay what would amount to a 4th coach? :confused:

I would be skeptical at best for that scenario. My guess is if Dennison is here, it is as HC and HC only.

jhildebrand
01-10-2011, 07:47 PM
I hear a lot of people pining for Dennison including former Broncos. Word was Dennison had the best interview the last time around.

What worries me about Dennison is not his OL or ST coaching (past positions as coach) but on offense. Dennison has worked for three HC's his entire NFL coaching career and they were all offensive coaches. We don't have an idea how much real influence he had for any of the three systems.

dogfish
01-10-2011, 07:47 PM
Bowlen is already going to be paying three coaches, Elway, a true GM in Xanders (a position he hasn't had to account for in the past) and

now he is going to pay what would amount to a 4th coach? :confused:

I would be skeptical at best for that scenario. My guess is if Dennison is here, it is as HC and HC only.

he's going to have to pay an OC regardless-- what's a couple hundred thousand more for an AHC title? dennison can't be expensive-- it's not like he's in demand anywhere else. . . .

jhildebrand
01-10-2011, 07:52 PM
he's going to have to pay an OC regardless-- what's a couple hundred thousand more for an AHC title? dennison can't be expensive-- it's not like he's in demand anywhere else. . . .

You dont think Houston and Kubiak wouldn't seek to match that offer? :confused:

Kubiak is on the hot seat in Houston next year for sure. He has already had to fire his DC, just changed OC's going to Dennison due to the loss of Kyle Shanahan, I highly doubt he is willing to lose Dennison.

If Dennison is offered the position, than obviously Kubes can't do anything to stop it. However, I would be VERY VERY surprised, to say the least, if he would allow Dennison to walk for that measly "couple hundred thousand and AHC title." ;)

dogfish
01-10-2011, 08:07 PM
You dont think Houston and Kubiak wouldn't seek to match that offer? :confused:

Kubiak is on the hot seat in Houston next year for sure. He has already had to fire his DC, just changed OC's going to Dennison due to the loss of Kyle Shanahan, I highly doubt he is willing to lose Dennison.

If Dennison is offered the position, than obviously Kubes can't do anything to stop it. However, I would be VERY VERY surprised, to say the least, if he would allow Dennison to walk for that measly "couple hundred thousand and AHC title." ;)

why wouldn't kubes let rick go? you think gary is the kind of guy that would selfishly hold a friend back for his own personal benefit? it's not the title or the money that would be important to dennison in this scenario-- it would be the expansion of duties and the potential to advance his career. . .

he's the offensive coordinator in title only in houston. . . kubes is still the primary gameplanner and game day play caller-- they run kubes' playbook, the same one he's been running since denver, and everyone knows that. . .

dennison is never going to get a promotion from gary's shadow unless we give it to him. . . if he can come here as assistant HC/offense-- combined with an inexperienced, defensive-minded HC-- and build an effective offense around tim tebow, the guy may actually get some legit consideration for a head coaching job somewhere not run by his friends. . . OR, quite frankly, he might find himself in line to potentially replace said inexperienced HC here in a few years if it doesn't work out. . .

i don't see gary preventing dennison from moving on. . . rick needs gary a lot more than gary needs rick. . .

in any case, i believe this discussion is probably moot, as i expect dennison to get the HC position here. . .

:frusty:

gregbroncs
01-10-2011, 08:08 PM

Maybe because Kubiak is on his last chance in Houston and in Denver he would have a little better shot at sticking for more than a single year. Not saying it would be enough but it would be something he would have to consider.

Agent of Orange
01-10-2011, 08:08 PM
Is Ron Rivera a mulatto?

I think he's mezzo-rican.

jhildebrand
01-10-2011, 11:02 PM
why wouldn't kubes let rick go? you think gary is the kind of guy that would selfishly hold a friend back for his own personal benefit? it's not the title or the money that would be important to dennison in this scenario-- it would be the expansion of duties and the potential to advance his career. . .

he's the offensive coordinator in title only in houston. . . kubes is still the primary gameplanner and game day play caller-- they run kubes' playbook, the same one he's been running since denver, and everyone knows that. . .

dennison is never going to get a promotion from gary's shadow unless we give it to him. . . if he can come here as assistant HC/offense-- combined with an inexperienced, defensive-minded HC-- and build an effective offense around tim tebow, the guy may actually get some legit consideration for a head coaching job somewhere not run by his friends. . . OR, quite frankly, he might find himself in line to potentially replace said inexperienced HC here in a few years if it doesn't work out. . .

i don't see gary preventing dennison from moving on. . . rick needs gary a lot more than gary needs rick. . .

in any case, i believe this discussion is probably moot, as i expect dennison to get the HC position here. . .

:frusty:

But than that goes against Dennison from a standpoint of experience. If, as you state, it is Gary's plays and Gary's system, and Dennison is simply their with a glorified title who's to say he is ready?

It is also known that he worked for two other offensive coaches and it was THEIR SYSTEM, THEIR plays, and even then he wasn't OC.

So at this point all you could stand on is that Dennison has been a line coach-a very good one and an ok special teams coach. If that is the case, then I don't see how he is such an open and shut case for the HC position here as you state. IIRC, I believe I have seen you discounting other potential coaches because they lack any credible coordinator experience. Furthermore, if we are going to hire a great line coach let's just go out and hire Tom Cable at least he has some HC experience.

I am not saying I don't like Dennison just that I don't buy for one minute that he would be willing to come here and be another coach's lackey for a promotion in title. Not to mention a coach with whom he may not have such a close, friendly relationship with.

Finally, why do you believe Kubiak would be so willing to let Dennison come here with a glorified title to be Fox or someone else's lackey? Who else can Kubiak turn to this late in the game that knows the system, terminology, playbook, etc...? He can't go back to Kyle, Mike Shanahan is the HC in Washington, and if Dennison is gone who else knows it? Heimerdinger? NOPE he wont leave TN and Fisher not to mention his personal health issues. Bates is comfortably esconced with Pete Carroll in Seattle. Kubiak, if he wants to keep a job in Houston, needs Dennison as much as Dennison might need him!

sanluis
01-14-2011, 11:35 AM

Well... if I am lucky, this hire will work out just as well as Jamal Williams!!! :shocked::D