PDA

View Full Version : Gregg Williams

BroncoStud
01-08-2011, 08:07 PM
"Saints Defense: Saints DC Williams hasn't heard from Denver"

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=1038&line=198250&spln=1

Let's hope it stays that way. Thanks to Jeremy Bates and his offense dropping 41 on the Saints we now can openly interview Williams, who would be a HORRIBLE choice.

Let's hope that Elway watched the playoff game and saw enough to lose consideration for Williams. He was atrocious as a Head Coach.

Juriga72
01-08-2011, 08:09 PM
"Saints Defense: Saints DC Williams hasn't heard from Denver"

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=1038&line=198250&spln=1

Let's hope it stays that way. Thanks to Jeremy Bates and his offense dropping 41 on the Saints we now can openly interview Williams, who would be a HORRIBLE choice.

Let's hope that Elway watched the playoff game and saw enough to lose consideration for Williams. He was atrocious as a Head Coach.

He coaches the D for turnovers... IF you dont get them... they give up points.

Man I STILL would love him for DC tho

scott.475
01-08-2011, 08:12 PM
He coaches the D for turnovers... IF you dont get them... they give up points.

Man I STILL would love him for DC tho

Boy, I don't know about that. The 'hawks are anything but an offensive juggernaut, but they hung 41 on Williams' defense.

Juriga72
01-08-2011, 08:16 PM
Boy, I don't know about that. The 'hawks are anything but an offensive juggernaut, but they hung 41 on Williams' defense.

Stats wise the Aints are a bad D... LAST year they were like 20-something...

BUT were #1 in forcing turnovers...Farve thinks they suck....LOL

Lancane
01-08-2011, 08:21 PM
We'll interview him still, a head coach is just that. We want someone proven and Williams is proven, but he'll only be a part of the overall equation as we go forward, bringing in someone solid to be the coordinators is just as important. Williams' defenses are pretty much high risk, high reward.

BroncoStud
01-08-2011, 08:24 PM
We'll interview him still, a head coach is just that. We want someone proven and Williams is proven, but he'll only be a part of the overall equation as we go forward, bringing in someone solid to be the coordinators is just as important. Williams' defenses are pretty much high risk, high reward.

He was horrible as a Head Coach. Mr. Punt himself, for someone who runs such a high-risk defense he was sure low-risk in his decision-making.

He just wasn't good, proven how? Experience? Yes, he has proven experience but so does Greg Robinson and I don't see anyone wanting to see him interviewed.

Hopefully he tanks his interview and doesn't get consideration.

Lancane
01-08-2011, 08:28 PM
He was horrible as a Head Coach. Mr. Punt himself, for someone who runs such a high-risk defense he was sure low-risk in his decision-making.

He just wasn't good, proven how? Experience? Yes, he has proven experience but so does Greg Robinson and I don't see anyone wanting to see him interviewed.

Hopefully he tanks his interview and doesn't get consideration.

He's more proven then Mularkey or Fewell, and even Shanahan sucked during his first 'real' head coaching stint.

But, I will not waste my time arguing.

BroncoStud
01-08-2011, 08:30 PM
He's more proven then Mularkey or Fewell, and even Shanahan sucked during his first 'real' head coaching stint.

But, I will not waste my time arguing.

Maybe he learned, maybe not. He coached 3 seasons and was a running joke on how many times he punted inside the 40 of his opponent...

Not exactly the kind of guy who is going to take Tebow to the next level or light up the scoreboard.

I'm not going to argue either but I sure hope he doesn't get the job.

cuzz4169
01-08-2011, 11:38 PM
So bc of one game we shouldn't interview him? I'm so glade some of you guys aren't in charge. Interview every possible candidate.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-09-2011, 12:02 AM
I think it's funny that because a guy had a short HC stint for the worst franchise in the league that hasn't been good since the late 80's/early 90's and has one of the cheapest owners (Buffalo) that they are automatically a bad coach.

Mularkey and Williams both had a stint in Buffalo. People seem to believe that they can't be successful anywhere because they weren't successful there.

How many coaches have been successful in Buffalo since Marv Levy?

Seriously, judging a coach by a stint with the Bills is like judging one by a stint with the Raiders.

BeefStew25
01-09-2011, 12:17 AM
This tripe pisses me off. BDB, let's get a bottle and go away for a bit.

Lancane
01-09-2011, 12:21 AM
I think it's funny that because a guy had a short HC stint for the worst franchise in the league that hasn't been good since the late 80's/early 90's and has one of the cheapest owners (Buffalo) that they are automatically a bad coach.

Mularkey and Williams both had a stint in Buffalo. People seem to believe that they can't be successful anywhere because they weren't successful there.

Fewell and Mularkey are different, they've barely been successful coordinators, more mediocre then successful. Williams has been successful period besides his time in Buffalo.

BeefStew25
01-09-2011, 12:23 AM
How do you have a successful period?

Lancane
01-09-2011, 12:24 AM
How do you have a successful period?

Quick and easy with less mess! :lol:

Whoops, I meant... :rofl:

HORSEPOWER 56
01-09-2011, 12:35 PM
Fewell and Mularkey are different, they've barely been successful coordinators, more mediocre then successful. Williams has been successful period besides his time in Buffalo.

I would venture to say that Mularkey has been very successful. He was very good under Cowher (a defensive HC) in Pittsburgh. He led the Bills to their 1st (and only) winning season in how many years? Remember, he resigned from there, he wasn't fired. He obviously realized how shitty the FO was and that what they wanted him to do (win with a team with little talent and no willingness to bring any in) was impossible so he left. He now has been very successful in Atlanta with Ryan and that offense working for another defensive minded HC (Mike Smith).

I actually wouldn't mind Mularkey. He's at least as good as Ken Wisenhunt or Russ Grimm, IMO.

In my Buffalo reference, I really wasn't referring to Fewell (just Mularkey and Wlliams - I had actually forgotten about Fewell in Buffalo) because he was just an interim like Studesville was here. Of all the guys we've discussed, I probably think the least highly of Fewell. Folks want to rip Gregg Williams for his defense, but Fewell has much more talent in NY and his defense was pretty poor down the stretch this year, even with all that D-line talent they have.

Lancane
01-09-2011, 12:48 PM
I would venture to say that Mularkey has been very successful. He was very good under Cowher (a defensive HC) in Pittsburgh. He led the Bills to their 1st (and only) winning season in how many years? Remember, he resigned from there, he wasn't fired. He obviously realized how shitty the FO was and that what they wanted him to do (win with a team with little talent and no willingness to bring any in) was impossible so he left. He now has been very successful in Atlanta with Ryan and that offense working for another defensive minded HC (Mike Smith).

I actually wouldn't mind Mularkey. He's at least as good as Ken Wisenhunt or Russ Grimm, IMO.

In my Buffalo reference, I really wasn't referring to Fewell (just Mularkey and Wlliams - I had actually forgotten about Fewell in Buffalo) because he was just an interim like Studesville was here. Of all the guys we've discussed, I probably think the least highly of Fewell. Folks want to rip Gregg Williams for his defense, but Fewell has much more talent in NY and his defense was pretty poor down the stretch this year, even with all that D-line talent they have.

The only problem I really have with Mularkey as a candidate is that he has never developed a quarterback, he schemed around Kordell Stewart and later on Stewart proved to be a bust at this level. He schemes and adjusts well to players' strengths, but we can not see where he has ever helped develop a quarterback that needed coaching to improve, Ryan was pretty much developed before coming to the league, he just needed polished. Tebow needs a good, quality quarterback coach that will help him really improve into a pro-style QB at this level. Other then that, I would be okay with 'Mark'...:lol:

HORSEPOWER 56
01-09-2011, 01:03 PM
The only problem I really have with Mularkey as a candidate is that he has never developed a quarterback, he schemed around Kordell Stewart and later on Stewart proved to be a bust at this level. He schemes and adjusts well to players' strengths, but we can not see where he has ever helped develop a quarterback that needed coaching to improve, Ryan was pretty much developed before coming to the league, he just needed polished. Tebow needs a good, quality quarterback coach that will help him really improve into a pro-style QB at this level. Other then that, I would be okay with 'Mark'...:lol:

So, Matty Ice is who he is with no help? There's no way that Boston College prepped Ryan to step in and lead the Falcons offense the way he has. Ryan is the way he is because of who he is personally and the coaching he's received in ATL. I'd say it's at least 50/50.

BroncoStud
01-09-2011, 02:24 PM

Seriously, judging a coach by a stint with the Bills is like judging one by a stint with the Raiders.

It's one thing to coach a bad team, it's another to do a bad job coaching a bad team. Williams stunk it up in Buffalo. He was so convservative that the Bills rarely had a chance to take control of a game.

Like I said, a good coordinator does NOT make a good coach - all of the time. Guys like Dom Caper actually look like they can make that transition and it just didn't work out, for whatever reason. Guys like Williams have been given a chance and simply failed to call a game like a good NFL Head Coach should.

If we aren't getting a "good" coach then I really hope we get Dennison.