PDA

View Full Version : John Fox on Broncos’ radar

DenBronx
01-08-2011, 01:58 AM
So I guess we now have a profile name in the mix.

He only made the playoffs 3 out of 9 years.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2011/01/07/john-fox-on-broncos-radar/6466/

BroncoWave
01-08-2011, 01:59 AM
This is definitely my favorite of all the names so far. To accomplish what he did with Delhomme is impressive.

DenBronx
01-08-2011, 02:04 AM
I wonder if this would sway Deangelo Williams to also come here and help our run game?

I guess I would be ok with Fox if somehow we got Deangelo.

Clipworthy
01-08-2011, 02:09 AM
Elway is stressing the coach-community connection...Fox is the exact opposite

DenBronx
01-08-2011, 02:13 AM

What?

Please explain this.

camdisco24
01-08-2011, 02:16 AM
This is definitely my favorite of all the names so far. To accomplish what he did with Delhomme is impressive.

X2

Living in NC, I hear way to much about the Panthers. Most of their issues are because of horrible personnel decisions, not bad coaching. I wouldn't be opposed to having him in Denver. Wouldn't mind it at all...

Clipworthy
01-08-2011, 02:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MethoSauRuS View Post

What?

Please explain this.
----

Elway say's hes looking for a coach that will embrace the community and invest themselves into it...Fox is known for his passive coaching style

DenBronx
01-08-2011, 02:22 AM
Quote:

What?

Please explain this.
----

Elway say's hes looking for a coach that will embrace the community and invest themselves into it...Fox is known for his passive coaching style

what does a passive coaching style have to do with "embracing the community"

i think elway was refering to josh mcdaniels ego more than anything. he would rarely even let his coaches talk to the media.

Clipworthy
01-08-2011, 02:24 AM
what does a passive coaching style have to do with "embracing the community"

i think elway was refering to josh mcdaniels ego more than anything. he would rarely even let his coaches talk to the media.

Fox won't want to get involved in much and will keep to himself, how do you not understand the correlation?

dogfish
01-08-2011, 02:26 AM
http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/8504/timtebowdenverbroncos1.jpg (http://img810.imageshack.us/i/timtebowdenverbroncos1.jpg/)

Tebow is pleased!

DenBronx
01-08-2011, 02:28 AM
Fox won't want to get involved in much and will keep to himself, how do you not understand the correlation?

exactly! all he'll worry about is coaching and not tearing down the franchise.

so please further expound.

camdisco24
01-08-2011, 02:28 AM

Where ever you get your info is wrong as far as John Fox's involvement in the community.

He is (was) a pretty well known community leader here in the carolina's. In fact, he and his wife co-chair the annual Angels & Stars Gala benefiting St. Jude Children's Research Hospital and you'll often see his name on benefit events that go on in and around Charlotte.

Idk if thats what you mean by embracing the community, but thats what I took from it.

dogfish
01-08-2011, 02:29 AM

wait, so do we have some sort of budding MLK or ghandi among the other candidates?

let's just get a guy who can coach. . . . :lol:

elway can do the community outreach stuff himself, or delegate it to some PR staffers. . . the organization being involved in community and/or charitable causes is all well and good, but it shouldn't have a thing to do with determining the criteria for the next head football coach. . .

DenBronx
01-08-2011, 02:31 AM
wait, so do we have some sort of budding MLK or ghandi among the other candidates?

let's just get a guy who can coach. . . . :lol:

elway can do the community outreach stuff himself, or delegate it to some PT staffers. . . the organization being involved in community and/or charitable causes is all well and good, but it shouldn't have a thing to do with determining the criteria for the next head football coach. . .

my thoughts as well. if there is anyone who will connect with the community it is elway. he is very polished in this area.

lets just find a damn good hc and dc.

DenBronx
01-08-2011, 02:34 AM
Where ever you get your info is wrong as far as John Fox's involvement in the community.

He is (was) a pretty well known community leader here in the carolina's. In fact, he and his wife co-chair the annual Angels & Stars Gala benefiting St. Jude Children's Research Hospital and you'll often see his name on benefit events that go on in and around Charlotte.

Idk if thats what you mean by embracing the community, but thats what I took from it.

he's known as a players coach. alot like steve mariucci was.

UnderArmour
01-08-2011, 02:39 AM
Quote:

What?

Please explain this.
----

Elway also said he is looking for a guy who knows how to handle an NFL locker room. Fox fits the bill.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Kicking-Off-the-Head-Coach-Search/dd581822-58c7-45aa-8c36-c3512fe22469

The son of a former college head coach, Elway said he would like a coach who understands the dynamics of a locker room and can manage a variety of personalities to get the best out of players, "almost like a psychologist." He also stressed the importance of assembling a quality staff of assistants around the new head coach.

John Fox is a pure class act. The guy coached the Panthers for nearly a decade and there were no instances of disgruntled players or of him throwing guys under the bus. The fans in Carolina loved him even if he did not have the best media relationship. If we landed him as the next HC, I have a feeling we would be fine even if he shifted us back to a 4-3. He definitely deserves a pass on last season. No QB, RBs got hurt, no Otah, 1 receiver, the FO let Peppers walk, everyone knew he was gone after this year, so how is that team supposed to perform?

DenBronx
01-08-2011, 02:45 AM
Elway also said he is looking for a guy who knows how to handle an NFL locker room. Fox fits the bill.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Kicking-Off-the-Head-Coach-Search/dd581822-58c7-45aa-8c36-c3512fe22469

John Fox is a pure class act. The guy coached the Panthers for nearly a decade and there were no instances of disgruntled players or of him throwing guys under the bus. The fans in Carolina loved him even if he did not have the best media relationship. If we landed him as the next HC, I have a feeling we would be fine even if he shifted us back to a 4-3. He definitely deserves a pass on last season. No QB, RBs got hurt, no Otah, 1 receiver, the FO let Peppers walk, everyone knew he was gone after this year, so how is that team supposed to perform?

they had just as many problems as the broncos plus some. so i can understand why they only won 2 games. letting peppers go was huge! he instantly made the bears defense serious again.

i'm not sor us going back to the 4-3 though. we would have another year or two just to finally get the right peices in place. hopefully IF fox came here he would see we are more suited for a 3-4 and would bring in a dc that would get us on track.

well...it wont be the head coaches decision anyway. it will be elway and ellis.

dogfish
01-08-2011, 03:46 AM

^^ yep, pretty much all of this ^^

the guy had jake delhomme as his quarterback for most of his tenure there, and pretty much one legitimate NFL receiving threat since the day moose muhammad got old. . .

i wouldn't complain about switching back to the 4-3 if it's done right, but i don't necessarily think that's arbitrary with fox, either. . . he has enough connections and enough of a reputation around the league to hire a solid DC to come run the 3-4 if he wants. . . he's not a glory-hog, and i have no idea if he was the defensve playcaller in carolina. . . although i would guess probably not. . .

we could get mangini, or possibly todd bowles, and greg manusky will probably be available. . . maybe even try to get butler from pittsburgh. . . or go back to the 43, and draft somebody like nick fairley. . . i still think we need as much if not probably more new personnel to play 4-3, though, and it's more change. . . i'd love to see whoever the new HC is decide to adopt the 3-4 just for the sake of a little consistency. . .

we'll see. . . i feel a little better about the whole process now that we're at least looking at an experienced HC candidate. . . although it won't do much for me if we still turn around and hire dennison. . .

Davii
01-08-2011, 04:06 AM
He only made the playoffs 3 out of 9 years.

Funny thing is, that's better than the Broncos have done.

DenBronx
01-08-2011, 04:16 AM
Funny thing is, that's better than the Broncos have done.

oh, and he actually won while IN the playoffs.

JDL
01-08-2011, 05:31 AM
If you can manage Steve Smith's m-fing ego... you can manage anyones. He dealt with some real sorry @ss chit there... not sure if he was to blame, but he seemed to handle things fairly appropriately. Don't know if it is because it was NC or he was great at it, but those things died from the media eye very quickly, unlike all the 2years of drama here.

WARHORSE
01-08-2011, 07:22 AM
HMMmmmm.........wonder if we would be going back to the 4-3 in this scenario..........

HORSEPOWER 56
01-08-2011, 10:03 AM
I Love me some John Fox! Pull the trigger, Johnny E!

atwater27
01-08-2011, 10:28 AM
I guess it would beat signing some snotnosed Napoleonic Patriot assistant.

BeefStew25
01-08-2011, 10:39 AM
I like this guy. Plus he would get us in compliance with the Rooney Rule.

Skinny
01-08-2011, 11:02 AM
Definitely in my top 3 of hopefuls.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-08-2011, 11:09 AM
I like this guy. Plus he would get us in compliance with the Rooney Rule.

There are times, Beef, that your humor escapes even me...

BeefStew25
01-08-2011, 11:46 AM
There are times, Beef, that your humor escapes even me...

He is a well known indigenous Irish man. Keep up.

Buff
01-08-2011, 11:52 AM
I would rather have ANY of the other candidates mentioned. I want nothing to do with Fox and his dull personality, odd decision making and crappy press conferences.

Buff
01-08-2011, 12:19 PM
*Except for Dirk Koetter. I'd rather have John Fox than Dirk Koetter.

Don't want anything to do with a former Boise St. coach.

camdisco24
01-08-2011, 12:21 PM
Keep in mind, Fox was pretty solid with a notoriously cheap owner. And thats not always easy to do in the NFL.

Bozo Jr.
01-08-2011, 12:35 PM
I like Fox and would be OK with his hiring. Not thrilled by any means just OK.

I would still prefer Rivera or Dennison though.
Rivera, Dennison, Fox, Williams, and Fassel should all be interviewed IMHO

vettesplus
01-08-2011, 12:51 PM
why would you bring in a coach that got fired because he was incharge of a losing team.....????

BroncoStud
01-08-2011, 12:53 PM
Carolina only has the #1 pick in the draft... Fox, of course, has NOTHING to do with that... I just can't get excited by these candidates...

At this point it almost seems a no-brainer to get Rivera ASAP, I mean, the Panthers fired Fox and are currently interviewing - Ron Rivera...

silkamilkamonico
01-08-2011, 01:18 PM
John Fox?

This is turning into a some kind of bad dream.

atwater27
01-08-2011, 01:53 PM
John Fox?

This is turning into a some kind of bad dream.

This whole organization is in a baaaaad way. We could make it even worse in the coming days with the wrong hire.

BeefStew25
01-08-2011, 01:54 PM
This whole organization is in a baaaaad way. We could make it even worse in the coming days with the wrong hire.

Tell me specifically who you want and why.

PAINTERDAVE
01-08-2011, 01:59 PM
Found this tidbit written by a Carolina fan...

Fox is a decent HC, but definately not a great one. He has a lot of strengths we can only hope to find in our next coach. Players love him. No matter what guys will give 100% for him. He is a good defensive coach and even w/ holes in a defense he can make it work. I would think Denver would have to transition to a 4-3 though.

The real problems w/ Fox is he has to have his finger on EVERYTHING. That means the offense. Regardless of the OC he is going to make sure they play a Fox offense.....and that ultimately is what killed his career in Carolina. Former players (and very good defensive ones) have commented post career about him preventing offenses from being able to ultmiately do what is needed in today's NFL. He makes life hard on his defensive units b/c they have so much on their shoulders b/c of what he asks them to do. They generally aren't agressive but at the same time can be very good. Little room for error on their part.

He is also loyal to a fault. Fox has a bad habit of playing vets....to the point it hurts his teams. The owner was willing after 2008 to give Fox again everything he wanted......but told Fox if he didn't win in 2009 things would change and youth would be a priority. Fox was essentially given everything he wanted that last year in 09. Fox was told of the change if he couldn't produce back to back winning seasons. He also knew that would be essentially the end of his career (09 if he didn't win). The only way to get Fox to give young guys a chance to develop is to gut a roster and give him no options. That is what we saw this year. Fox is very one dimensional on offense and predictable. His offense works when he has EVERYTHING he wants...but that just isn't something you can count on in the NFL (injury etc cause coaches to adjust). If he doesn't have that he can't adjust or change to use his talent.

Fox is a control freak. Denver would have to find a means to keep him out of the offense. Not sure how likely that is. Fox is all about playing safe....and has ZERO problem with opponents knowing exactly what he is going to do on offense. He just challenges teams to stop him.

Just a little input from a Panther fan. Fox is the caliber of coach that will prevent a team from ever being bad (you have to ignore this year as he wasn't allowed to continue what he does). The only problem is Foxball as we call it....really makes it difficult to be really good unless you have a dominant OL and ground attack and a team that can allow that to be a weapon (enough QB play to get teams to be honest and a D). Run, run, punt is what Fox likes.....b/c sometimes a punt ain't a bad play (per Fox). What you get from Fox is a painfully predictable team on offense with a normally successful D."

turftoad
01-08-2011, 02:00 PM
I think Fox would be a good hire. He's had solid "D"s in the past with a good running game. He hasn't had a lot of talent to work with but has done well with what he's had. Never had an above average QB or WR to EVER compliment Steve Smith.

I think he'd do a good job with some decent talent but thats not his department, thats Elways now.

Juriga72
01-08-2011, 02:01 PM
Rivera HC

Fox DC

Dennison OC/OL

BroncoStud
01-08-2011, 02:01 PM
John Fox would not be a good hire at this point. Take him in a second as the DC, but not as the HC. Elway's approach to this is mind-boggling. I am beginning to think we are going to be stuck with a bad retread like Fox or Mularkey.

BroncoStud
01-08-2011, 02:03 PM
I think Fox would be a good hire. He's had solid "D"s in the past with a good running game. He hasn't had a lot of talent to work with but has done well with what he's had. Never had an above average QB or WR to EVER compliment Steve Smith.

I think he'd do a good job with some decent talent but thats not his department, thats Elways now.

M. Muhammed wasn't a compliment to Steve Smith? Not just "NO" to Fox, but "HELL NO" to Fox...

PAINTERDAVE
01-08-2011, 02:05 PM
For every fan who likes the Fox idea... there are 5 who hate it.
Same with Mularkey... Fewell... and on down the pike.
There seems to be no consensus...
except for one.

The only name I have heard... that I have not seen people hating on...

is Ron Rivera.

Just sayin'....

Juriga72
01-08-2011, 02:05 PM
M. Muhammed wasn't a compliment to Steve Smith? Not just "NO" to Fox, but "HELL NO" to Fox...

The year they went to the Super Bowl... Moose had:
93 catches and 16 FREAKING td's

Nope... "Nothing to compliment Steve Smith " at all there.....Chicago signed him that year to some un-godly "Brandon Lloyd type" deal.... Lets pay a ton of cash for a guy with one good year

turftoad
01-08-2011, 02:06 PM

Yes he was, in his first tour there, not his second.

The panthers were pretty damn good back then. Thats what I mean, he'd do a good job with some decent talent.

PAINTERDAVE

Carolina Fans seem to agree....

atwater27
Tell me specifically who you want and why.

My first choice was Leslie Frazier.

My second choice is Bill Cowher, because he has a proven track record winning, motivating, and constantly churning out ferocious defenses. He is too aloof and I guess not up to the challenge for Denver, it seems though.

My 3rd choice is Gruden. We need his attitude, his hatred of the Raiders, he willingness to work with Tebow.

My 4th choice I guess with who is left would have to be Ron Rivera. Regardless of whether our new HC pans out or not, at the very least he would draft defense and try to right our HORRID D.

I'd take Shanahan back in a heartbeat, as long as he had no say in the DC hire.

BroncoStud
01-08-2011, 02:09 PM
Yes he was, in his first tour there, not his second.

The panthers were pretty damn good back then. Thats what I mean, he'd do a good job with some decent talent.

Have you actually watched any of the Panthers games lately? Predicting their offense is as easy as it gets. There is ZERO innovation in their gameplan and for me that speaks volumes to Fox.

Teams don't get the first pick in the draft by accident. Fox would be an elite DC, but a bad HC hire.

TXBRONC
01-08-2011, 02:11 PM
they had just as many problems as the broncos plus some. so i can understand why they only won 2 games. letting peppers go was huge! he instantly made the bears defense serious again.

i'm not sor us going back to the 4-3 though. we would have another year or two just to finally get the right peices in place. hopefully IF fox came here he would see we are more suited for a 3-4 and would bring in a dc that would get us on track.

well...it wont be the head coaches decision anyway. it will be elway and ellis.

If Fox is the pragmatic type and thinks it's quickest way to reestblish the Broncos as a contender then I would think he be inclinded to do so.

turftoad
01-08-2011, 02:14 PM
Have you actually watched any of the Panthers games lately? Predicting their offense is as easy as it gets. There is ZERO innovation in their gameplan and for me that speaks volumes to Fox.

Teams don't get the first pick in the draft by accident. Fox would be an elite DC, but a bad HC hire.

It's pretty tough to unpredictable with no QB talent. You can only do what your talent will let you.
I'm not in love with Fox by any means but, I think we could a lot worse. I think he was handcuffed by the Panthers FO talentwise.

Juriga72
01-08-2011, 02:27 PM
It's pretty tough to unpredictable with no QB talent. You can only do what your talent will let you.
I'm not in love with Fox by any means but, I think we could a lot worse. I think he was handcuffed by the Panthers FO talentwise.

Are you saying that Jimmy (Notre Dame bred and born) Claussen (sp) sucks?

Ye of fat Charlie Weiss "He'll set the NFL on fire JUST like Brady Quinn is"....suckage.....?

LOL

TXBRONC
01-08-2011, 02:35 PM

As BTB pointed out he did make the playoffs three times with Dellhome as his starting quarterback.

turftoad
01-08-2011, 03:12 PM
As BTB pointed out he did make the playoffs three times with Dellhome as his starting quarterback.

Exactly my point. Delhome is not the most talented QB in the league to say the least. My point is, he has done good things with not great talent. IMO, he could do a real good job with some.

TXBRONC
01-08-2011, 03:18 PM
Exactly my point. Delhome is not the most talented QB in the league to say the least. My point is, he has done good things with not great talent. IMO, he could do a real good job with some.

I wouldn't be against bringing Fox as the head coach. Even though I like the 3-4 defense there is probably a good chance that he would switch the defense back to a 4-3 which is fine with me as long as it works.

BeefStew25
01-08-2011, 03:32 PM
My first choice was Leslie Frazier.

My second choice is Bill Cowher, because he has a proven track record winning, motivating, and constantly churning out ferocious defenses. He is too aloof and I guess not up to the challenge for Denver, it seems though.

My 3rd choice is Gruden. We need his attitude, his hatred of the Raiders, he willingness to work with Tebow.

My 4th choice I guess with who is left would have to be Ron Rivera. Regardless of whether our new HC pans out or not, at the very least he would draft defense and try to right our HORRID D.

I'd take Shanahan back in a heartbeat, as long as he had no say in the DC hire.

So you are:

1) Living in the past
2) Looking for a one man savior

dogfish
01-08-2011, 04:09 PM
FFS!

some of you guys need to just accept that we're NOT getting cowher or gruden. . . not happenin', the next guy walking through the door isn't wearing rings. . . deal. . .

and while i also happen to like ron rivera as a candidate, PLEASE stop acting like he's bill ****ing bellichick part II or something. . . the guy is a solid DC who's never been a head coach and may or may not be any good at it, let's not send him to canton just yet. . .

dogfish
01-08-2011, 04:09 PM
I would rather have ANY of the other candidates mentioned. I want nothing to do with Fox and his dull personality, odd decision making and crappy press conferences.

****, billick boi!

:wave:

Buff
01-08-2011, 04:13 PM
FFS!

some of you guys need to just accept that we're NOT getting cowher or gruden. . . not happenin', the next guy walking through the door isn't wearing rings. . . deal. . .

and while i also happen to like ron rivera as a candidate, PLEASE stop acting like he's bill ****ing bellichick part II or something. . . the guy is a solid DC who's never been a head coach and may or may not be any good at it, let's not send him to canton just yet. . .

I'm not big on Rivera either, guy got run out of Chicago by Lovie of all people, which is a huge red flag IMO.

But I'd rather have an unproven Rivera than a baggage-laden Fox coming off of a 1-15 season.

BeefStew25
01-08-2011, 04:26 PM
i'm not big on rivera either, guy got run out of chicago by lovie of all people, which is a huge red flag imo.

But i'd rather have an unproven rivera than a baggage-laden fox coming off of a 1-15 season.

2-14.

Buff
01-08-2011, 05:34 PM
2-14.

Same thing.

camdisco24
01-08-2011, 05:37 PM
I'm surprised they even won 2 games after the FO in Carolina called for a "younger generation" and they shipped out all the talent....

smith49
01-08-2011, 06:14 PM
For every fan who likes the Fox idea... there are 5 who hate it.
Same with Mularkey... Fewell... and on down the pike.
There seems to be no consensus...
except for one.

The only name I have heard... that I have not seen people hating on...

is Ron Rivera.

Just sayin'....

well im far from a coaching guru. i have some small knowlege on the subject however. not a big fan of fox or mularkey either. however, i think that rivera deserves a shot. he should have gotten it in s.d. before the moron norve got it imo. i would be very pleased with rivera. hes from our conference (not that that really matters), he knows how to make a D(a 3-4 D at that) very good and i believe that players love the guy. just my thoughts on rivera.

atwater27
01-09-2011, 01:15 AM
So you are:

1) Living in the past
2) Looking for a one man savior

oh well. what are you?

BeefStew25
01-09-2011, 01:19 AM
oh well. what are you?

I don't sit around waiting for Cutler and Shanny to walk through the door.

atwater27
01-09-2011, 01:24 AM
I don't sit around waiting for Cutler and Shanny to walk through the door.

:confused:
you got me pegged. Actually, i am waiting for Terrell Davis and Steve Atwater to come back as offensive and defensive coordinators, repectively.

atwater27
01-09-2011, 01:27 AM
But don't go out on a limb or anything and say who you want to get the job.

BeefStew25
01-09-2011, 01:27 AM
:confused:
you got me pegged. Actually, i am waiting for Terrell Davis and Steve Atwater to come back as offensive and defensive coordinators, repectively.

Live in the past.

atwater27
01-09-2011, 01:28 AM
Live in the past.

It's fine here in the past. It's certainly better than our present or near future. So I'll stay here and sip some margaritas, thank you very much.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-09-2011, 10:14 AM
Are we really going to argue about the next coach based on keeping the 3-4 over the 4-3? Is it really that important? We were a top 10 defense under Coyer one year with the 4-3. We were a top 10 defense under Nolan with the 3-4. That same defense dropped to LAST in the league under Wink.

I look at the personnel we have now and say we're not equipped to run either very well, but I see what we have and the guys coming out in the draft D-line wise and have to think we'd actually be better off going back to a 4-3.

Personally, I'd rather just have a defense that's a good one because I don't give a flying shit what front we run. Whatever it takes to fix the defense is what we need to do. No more bullshit. If John Fox or Gregg Williams wants to come here and bring back the 4-3, I'm all for it. If Ron Rivera (who has coached both) comes in and analyzes and decides it's easier to stay 3-4 or to switch back to the 4-3 I don't care. I just want the "D" in Denver to stand for :defense: again!

It's like complaining about a potential HC's because of what offense they ran when they were OCs. 1/2 the folks want to get back to the Shanahan/Kubiak/Dennison ZBS and the other want us to stay with the McDaniels/Bellicheat spread. I DON'T CARE WHAT WE RUN, I WANT GODDAMN WINS! I want a HC who knows how to coach and motivate his players. Who knows how to delegate and let his coordinators do their jobs. Who realizes that this TEAM is not all about him and that he shouldn't be the "face of the franchise" - his players should be.

That's what I want and I could give a shit less what defensive front they want to run. Funny how before the internet age and the age of all of us self-righteous, I own the playbook, know-it-alls, nobody even cared what schemes or fronts we ran. It was about winning. Now guys are talking about blackballing coaches from interviews based on the "system" they ran on their old team? We are too smart and too stupid for our own good sometimes.