PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of Brian Clark?

TXBRONC
08-27-2007, 10:07 PM
Do you think Brian will make the 53 man roster? Here's an article from the Broncos Homepage you might be interested in.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=7093

Monday, August 27, 2007

Monday Notebook: Clark Traces Smith's Steps

By Christopher Smith
DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Brian Clark discovers footprints in the sand.

Looking up from his feet and down NFL beach, his eyes follow a path that disappears beyond the horizon, mixing into a blur of seaweed, saltwater and spray. Although he can't see the destination, he knows those footprints lead to a sand castle, adorned with a conch shell of gaudy statistics and a king crab of two Super Bowl wins.

Rod Smith made those footprints, and Clark has every intention of following them.

Clark may have a long walk ahead, but the undrafted free agent has an informed guide who began his career at a similar spot on the beach.

"Rod Smith is God-sent. In the locker room, I talk to him just about every day. Every play, it seems like I'm asking him a question, making sure that I did the right thing on my route, on my blocking," Clark said.

"When you've got a guy that's gone down the path that you've gone and had the success that he's had, it's good for me to see that. He has the ability to calm you down, make you laugh, and let you know, 'Don't worry about it, it's the same game that you've been playing since you were little.'"

But Clark is no longer a little boy playing on a little field. He's a man playing at the highest level on the planet. Don't expect him to meander to frolic in the waves or chase stray seagulls. He's locked in and ready to progress -- now.

"It is (crunch time). (The Broncos) are trying to find their best 53 and then their best 45," Clark said. "You've got to go out there and show that, hey, we have depth at this position. If somebody goes down or somebody gets hurt, or if you need to rotate a guy, we have solid guys that come back in and keep the ball moving."

Clark led the Broncos in kickoff-return yardage after being promoted from the scout team last October. This preseason, he's showcased his skills as a receiver.

Clark dazzled Broncos fans in Dallas with a 90-yard touchdown burst on a Patrick Ramsey pass, propelling him to the team lead in receptions (seven) and receiving yards (133) this preseason.

Clark doesn't expect to relinquish his advantage against Arizona with Brandon Marshall, his closest pursuer, likely to spend most or all of the game on the sideline with the starters. Expect him to unpack his usual share of anxious enthusiasm during warmups.

"I'm excited about it, just for the simple fact that this is what you want to do. Ever since you were little, you want to go out there and play a full game and get a chance to block, catch and do things that you want to do on special teams," Clark said. "I'm excited about it, just to have the veteran guys see that we do have depth. They're kind of watching you and supporting you as you're out there. I'm ecstatic."

DUMERVIL'S DELIGHT: Clark wasn't the only second-year player strolling off the field with a grin Monday. Elvis Dumervil exuded a joy after starting against Cleveland that lingered into practice.

He lit up when he was asked about grappling with Browns tackle Joe Thomas, the third overall selection in the 2007 NFL draft, and recalled what his mindset was as he labored away with the third team at the beginning of training camp.

"I didn't really hold my head down. I know they went hard in the draft with top ends. (Jarvis) Moss and Tim (Crowder) are good additions to our defense, but I never got off focus," Dumervil said. "I just believed in myself. Man, I'm just blessed. I'm just thankful for the opportunity. I'm excited to go out to Buffalo and show what I can do."

Dumervil started the first game the Broncos played without injured Ebenezer Ekuban. Moss and Alvin McKinley saw time at the right end spot as well, and Moss even shared the field with Dumervil on some passing downs. Whether or not Dumervil has solidified his name in the coaches' minds, he's not going to let anyone wrest the starting spot out of his grasp.

"They could probably (still) finagle, they're probably still doing it, but I know I'm going to play to my best and keep that spot," Dumervil said.

The 5-foot-11-inch Louisville product collected 8 sacks last season and predicts 12-15 more this year after adding a long-arm bull rush to his arsenal in the offseason.

"Last year, I thought I kind of got slowed down a lot after I didn't have any counter moves," said Dumervil. "I just want to keep the tackle guessing. I don't want to be too predictable."

The telling aspect that may determine his longevity as an every-down lineman is his run defense, something he's adamant about.

"People (have) thought I don't know how to play the run, but I did in college," he said. "It's a little different in the league. Guys are a lot stronger and quicker, a lot smarter. That's an area I can improve on."

'BACKS BACK: Travis Henry, Andre Hall and Mike Bell were all in uniform Monday, practicing at varying speeds.

"They just wanted me to feel my way, so I was picking and choosing when I burst," Henry said. "Today was to see where I was, and it worked out great

Skinny
08-30-2007, 04:59 PM
Did'nt see this when it was originally posted. He's looked very good this pre-season. He seems to be a very heady player who is'nt afraid to do the dirty work (blocking and going over the middle). He's shown a burst of speed too that suprised me abit.

But he has to continue to get better. If i remember correctly, Todd Devoe also had a decent pre-season last year and he's no longer with us.

It's all about consistency at this level.

Watchthemiddle
08-30-2007, 05:16 PM
Did'nt see this when it was originally posted. He's looked very good this pre-season. He seems to be a very heady player who is'nt afraid to do the dirty work (blocking and going over the middle). He's shown a burst of speed too that suprised me abit.

But he has to continue to get better. If i remember correctly, Todd Devoe also had a decent pre-season last year and he's no longer with us.

It's all about consistency at this level.

I was just going to mention Devoe from two years ago. He had an outstanding preseason and won the hearts of many Bronco fans ( myself included ) and went on to have a mediocre season. I have no problem with Clark. He has played well this preseason and if there is room, I would like to have him.

I bet he has a big game tonight.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-30-2007, 05:31 PM
Clark is an interesting guy because he has receiver potential as a fourth or fifth guy and he has the speed to be a good kick-off returner. I said two years ago when we got him that he'd have that kind of ability and potential and it'd be nice for him to be able to fill that sort of spot on our roster. It's a shame he had to play at NC State, so much controversy after Rivers left. . . hurt him a lot.

Slick
08-30-2007, 05:47 PM
Clark is an interesting guy because he has receiver potential as a fourth or fifth guy and he has the speed to be a good kick-off returner. I said two years ago when we got him that he'd have that kind of ability and potential and it'd be nice for him to be able to fill that sort of spot on our roster. It's a shame he had to play at NC State, so much controversy after Rivers left. . . hurt him a lot.

Not to mention that Jay Davis or Marcus Stone couldn't throw the ball into the ocean.

Crush05
08-30-2007, 07:23 PM
Well sounds like they jury is out on this one! IMO he shows a lot of potential just as Selvin Young does. But we will have to wait and see!!!!

TXBRONC
08-30-2007, 08:14 PM
I agree with all of you. The kid has very good speed and size but a couple of good preseason games doesn't really mean much.

Reidman
08-30-2007, 08:24 PM
I like Clark a lot. He has definitely impressed but lets not forget it's been mostly against second team D's. The guy is huge though which makes him a nice target for Cutler and has good hands.

I am hoping he makes the roster and can prove his worth this season.

broncosinindy
08-30-2007, 09:33 PM
yup heis my favorite outside of BM JW and BS

anton...
08-30-2007, 09:40 PM
im a fan...

:2thumbs:
________
Vaporizers Info (http://johan-luis.tumblr.com/)

Simple Jaded
08-30-2007, 11:31 PM
Well?......The Broncos like him! *shrugs*.....

Crush05
08-30-2007, 11:32 PM
IMO yes. He has great hands, speed and agility. #4 reciever in my book then hixon and then?

Watchthemiddle
08-30-2007, 11:40 PM
He really is the only other WR to stand out besides Hixon for the #4 and #5 WR spot. So I think he stays.

Crush05
08-31-2007, 12:04 AM
He really is the only other WR to stand out besides Hixon for the #4 and #5 WR spot. So I think he stays.

I could agree with you there!!

Fan in Exile
08-31-2007, 07:06 AM
I would be pretty comfortable going into the season:
Walker, Marshall, Stokley, Clark, Hixon

TXBRONC
08-31-2007, 07:26 AM
IMO yes. He has great hands, speed and agility. #4 reciever in my book then hixon and then?

You think he will be ahead of Hixon? I like Clark but I think depth chart wise he will play behind Hixon.

Retired_Member_001
08-31-2007, 06:05 PM
Personally I was not impressed with Brian Clark's return abilities at all last season. He just looked completely lost out there. I don't think Clark will make it as a KR/PR with Domenik Hixon and Quincy Morgan on the team because they can ( I'm talking about Morgan, Hixon hasn't proved it yet) atleast return the ball past our own 11 yard line. Clark was also very inconsistent, he could have two 20+ yard returns then three of under 12 yards.

Another WR we had did very well in the pre-season but didn't do very well in the season, can you guess who he was? ;)

Anyway Brian Clark has Javon Walker, Brandon Marshall (if he can stay fit and not go crying off to the media), Brandon Stokely, Domenik Hixon, Rod Smith (maybe) and possibly Quincy Morgan ahead of him in my opinion.

I don't hate Brian Clark but I don't think he has done nothing to prove he can make it as a WR and has only done things to prove he CAN'T make it as a KR/PR. Hixon hasn't proved anything aswell but atleast we know his teammates are fond of him and he has exceptional speed (both help).