PDA

View Full Version : Marshall pleads guilty to reduced charge in DUI case

honz
09-12-2008, 07:51 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3584626

DENVER -- Broncos wide receiver Brandon Marshall pleaded guilty to a reduced charge in a drunken-driving case and was sentenced to a year of probation.

Marshall pleaded guilty Friday to driving while ability-impaired. He was originally charged with driving under the influence after his October 2007 arrest.

Marshall's attorney didn't immediately return a call.

Prosecutors say Marshall must pay $1,100 in fees and fines and will likely be required to serve 24 hours of community service and attend alcohol-treatment classes and a victim-impact panel.

The NFL suspended Marshall for three games for his off-field behavior, but later reduced it to one game. He missed the team's opener against Oakland, but is expected to play Sunday against San Diego.

Hoshdude7
09-12-2008, 07:57 PM
i hope he doesn't get more time :(

Benetto
09-12-2008, 08:19 PM
He has already paid the price...Double jeopardy would be ridiculous. I doubt he sits any more games on the count of his behavior. I hope

Lonestar
09-12-2008, 08:33 PM
i hope he doesn't get more time :(

might get another week or two..

He has already paid the price...Double jeopardy would be ridiculous. I doubt he sits any more games on the count of his behavior. I hope

Only counts in a court of law..

But then this may have been negotiated in the deal with Goodell also..

UnderArmour
09-12-2008, 08:41 PM
If Benson can get off boating drunk then driving drunk, I don't think Marshall has anything to worry about.

honz
09-12-2008, 08:57 PM
I don't think that Marshall will get any more suspension time because of this. Goodell was well aware of this pending charge when he reduced Marshall's suspension time.

Tned
09-12-2008, 09:26 PM
I don't think that Marshall will get any more suspension time because of this. Goodell was well aware of this pending charge when he reduced Marshall's suspension time.

It doesn't matter:

Marshall's pending DUI trial could not have factored into the commissioner's ruling because it didn't fall under the personal conduct policy that would allow for suspension.

http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/brandon.marshall.goodell.2.788622.html

I had to go look for that, but that was what I thought. I think the DUI would fall under the substance abuse part of the CBA vs. the personal conduct policy.

Superchop 7
09-13-2008, 12:57 AM
I'm sure it was "her" fault.

Davii
09-13-2008, 01:00 AM
It doesn't matter:

http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/brandon.marshall.goodell.2.788622.html

I had to go look for that, but that was what I thought. I think the DUI would fall under the substance abuse part of the CBA vs. the personal conduct policy.

And it still does fall under the substance program, which there is no public action on a first offense.

I think.

dogfish
09-13-2008, 01:07 AM

agreed. . . if goodell was concerned about this, he would never have reduced the suspension in the first place. . . marshall essentially got away with a slap on the wrist this time-- i hope to god he learned his lesson, because you can bet the commish won't be nearly as lenient if brandon shows up in his office again!

honz
09-13-2008, 01:19 AM
And it still does fall under the substance program, which there is no public action on a first offense.

I think.
I think you are right. It think Jared Allen had 2 DUI offenses before he received a suspension and not even Matt Jones has been suspended yet for his cocaine incident. I don't know the exact rules the NFL has though.