PDA

View Full Version : Perry Fewell - Experienced Defensive Co-ordinator

PAINTERDAVE
01-07-2011, 07:33 PM
Team Bio...

Tom Coughlin reached into his past for a coach to lead his defense into the future when he hired Perry Fewell as the Giants' defensive coordinator on Jan. 14, 2010. Fewell once spent five seasons as Coughlin's secondary coach in Jacksonville. He is a 25-year coaching veteran who is in his 13th season as an NFL coach.

Prior to joining the Giants, Fewell spent four seasons as the Buffalo Bills' defensive coordinator and was the team's interim head coach for the final seven games of the 2009 season. The Bills were 3-4 under his direction. Fewell was brought to Buffalo by **** Jauron, who was Coughlin's defensive coordinator in Jacksonville for four seasons. Fewell and Jauron spent the 1998 season together with the Jaguars.

"I expect Perry to bring the same qualities that I expect from myself," said Coughlin. "I want him to be firm, fair, honest and demanding. My expectation is that he will solidify and unify our defense and be an outstanding teacher. I want energy, enthusiasm, toughness and to make the necessary corrections and game adjustments. Perry is a teacher and a leader and I thought he did an outstanding job of displaying great leadership as the interim head coach of Buffalo this season."

Buffalo's defense under Fewell allowed only 14 touchdown passes in each of the last two seasons. In 2009, that tied for the second-best total in the NFL and was eight below the league average. The Bills were tied for fifth in the NFL with 33 takeaways. Their 28 interceptions were exceeded only by Green Bay's 30. The Giants had 24 takeaways and 13 interceptions in 2009. Buffalo's turnover differential improved from minus-eight in 2008 to plus-three in 2009. Bills rookie safety Jairus Byrd tied for the NFL lead with nine interceptions in only 14 games. The nine interceptions were five more than any other rookie had. Byrd was placed on injured reserve with a groin injury and missed the final two games but became the first Bills rookie to be selected to the Pro Bowl since Greg Bell in 1984.

In his four years as the coordinator in Buffalo, the Bills' defense ranked 18th, 31st, 14th and 19th in the NFL. In 2009, Buffalo allowed 340.6 yards and 20.4 points a game. The Giants' gave up 324.9 yards and 26.7 points a game .

In 2008, the Bills were fourth in the NFL in red zone defense, allowing a touchdown on only 41.8 percent of the opposition possessions inside the 20-yard line (23 of 55). They were second in the AFC in negative yardage plays and held their opponents to less than 100 rushing yards seven times.

Fewell coached Chicago defensive backs in 2005, when the Bears led the NFC with 24 interceptions and cornerback Nathan Vasher and safety Mike Brown were selected to the Pro Bowl.

"His defenses have consistently done a good job taking the ball away," Coughlin said.

In 2003 and 2004, Fewell was the secondary coach of the St. Louis Rams.

Fewell entered the NFL as the defensive backs coach for Coughlin and the Jaguars in 1998, a position he held through the 2002 season. Jacksonville's pass defense ranked third in the NFL in 1999 and two years later the Jaguars gave up only 13 touchdown passes.

"We brought Perry into the league in Jacksonville," said Coughlin, "and I was impressed with his thoroughness, his ability to work with the players and his absolute intent on learning all he could about his profession. He was hired as the secondary coach and he has had great experiences in St. Louis and Chicago with Lovie Smith and that system and in Buffalo with **** Jauron, who was my original defensive coordinator in Jacksonville."

Fewell was a collegiate coach for 13 years prior to entering the NFL. He began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at the University of North Carolina in 1985 and '86. Fewell was the defensive backs coach at Army in 1987. The following year, he began a four-year stint as the wide receivers coach at Kent State. In 1992, he returned to West Point, where he spent three seasons as the defensive line coach. Fewell's final college job was at Vanderbilt, where he coached the secondary from 1995-97 and was also assistant head coach in his final season there.

Fewell was born on Sept. 7, 1962 in Gastonia, N.C. He was on the football and track teams at South Point High School in Belmont, N.C. and was inducted into the Belmont Sports Hall of Fame in 2001. Fewell lettered as a defensive back for four years at Lenoir-Rhyne College and was named the team's most improved player in 1983. He graduated with a degree in business administration in 1985.

Fewell and his wife, Kathleen, have two sons.

Lancane
01-07-2011, 08:25 PM
I would rather wipe my genitles with a metal scouring pad and jump in a vat of alcohol then to have us hire Fewell, and I am not kidding.

:shocked:

PAINTERDAVE
01-07-2011, 08:27 PM
I would rather wipe my genitles with a metal scouring pad and jump in a vat of alcohol then to have us hire Fewell, and I am not kidding.

:shocked:

Tell us how you really feel! :laugh:

BroncoStud
01-07-2011, 08:31 PM
Fewell SUCKS. He had better not have a chance at this. Pathetic how suddenly Studesville looks like a viable candidate. Elway is doing a pisspoor job of this coaching search thus far.

The Experience
01-07-2011, 08:46 PM
Care to elaborate on how Fewell sucks?

Ignorant post.

BeefStew25
01-07-2011, 08:48 PM
I like this guy, and it important that Elway is labeled as diverse early on.

Lancane
01-07-2011, 08:49 PM
Care to elaborate on how Fewell sucks?

Ignorant post.

So is defending him when he hasn't earned the accolades that most want in a head coach candidate. You like him, others don't...I'm sure there are candidates we like that you do not, it's a matter of opinion that's all, one I agree with, but an opinion nonetheless.

The Experience
01-07-2011, 08:51 PM
So is defending him when he hasn't earned the accolades that most want in a head coach candidate. You like him, others don't...I'm sure there are candidates we like that you do not, it's a matter of opinion that's all, one I agree with, but an opinion nonetheless.

I just want the guy to explain why he thinks Fewell sucks. He is entitled to his opinion but he needs to come up with good reasons why.

I like Fewell, but I am able to support why I think he is a good choice.

Make sense?

Lancane
01-07-2011, 08:56 PM
I just want the guy to explain why he thinks Fewell sucks. He is entitled to his opinion but he needs to come up with good reasons why.

Make sense?

Oh I know, I don't like Fewell, and I have been giving you a hard time (playfully), but at least I've deligated and explained my reasons, you want others to do the same.

;)

The Experience
01-07-2011, 09:02 PM
Oh I know, I don't like Fewell, and I have been giving you a hard time (playfully), but at least I've deligated and explained my reasons, you want others to do the same.

;)

Exactly.

BroncoStud
01-07-2011, 09:11 PM

Make sense?

Ok, "this guy" will explain why he "thinks" Fewell is not our next Head Coach. Sucks may have been too strong, he's a solid DC.

Good DC in Buffalo, was not good as the interim HC in Buffalo. OK DC in New York, has had some serious defensive lapses this season on that side of the football. The job he did against the Eagles was nothing short of PATHETIC.

Not impressed listening to him speak.

I Eat Staples
01-07-2011, 09:15 PM
I like Fewell.

BeefStew25
01-07-2011, 09:16 PM
I like Fewell.

Finally, a non-racist.

Lancane
01-07-2011, 09:17 PM
Ok, "this guy" will explain why he "thinks" Fewell is not our next Head Coach. Sucks may have been too strong, he's a solid DC.

Good DC in Buffalo, was not good as the interim HC in Buffalo. OK DC in New York, has had some serious defensive lapses this season on that side of the football. The job he did against the Eagles was nothing short of PATHETIC.

Not impressed listening to him speak.

I have to disagree Stud, he's been solid in New York, not great. But, was less then stellar in Buffalo as not only the defensive coordinator but also as the interim. I think Fewell needs a two or three years as a defensive coordinator to prove he is better then what we've seen. He's a terrific defensive backs coach, and if he wasn't a defensive coordinator I would be happy to have him in that capacity here...but not as the head coach, I don't think he's there just yet.

Lancane
01-07-2011, 09:22 PM
Finally, a non-racist.

Racist? Who are you talking about?

I know I'm not racist Stew, though I don't buy that black head coaches are as good nor are black quarterbacks as their white counterparts. I'm a realist, and sometimes that comes off as something that it's not. Turth is that I'd be fine with Studesville as the head coach with the right staff, and I'm high on Rivera who if hired would be the first Puerto Rican/Mexican head coach in league history.

I don't like Fewell because he lacks the qualifications that you'd like to see in a head coach and I think he's being overhyped and that could cause us to be in the same situation as McDaniels without all the power.

I Eat Staples
01-07-2011, 09:25 PM

I know I'm not racist Stew, though I don't buy that black head coaches are as good nor are black quarterbacks as their white counterparts. I'm a realist, and sometimes that comes off as something that it's not. Turth is that I'd be fine with Studesville as the head coach with the right staff, and I'm high on Rivera who if hired would be the first Puerto Rican/Mexican head coach in league history.

I don't like Fewell because he lacks the qualifications that you'd like to see in a head coach and I think he's being overhyped and that could cause us to be in the same situation as McDaniels without all the power.

Racist post.

BeefStew25
01-07-2011, 09:27 PM

Oh, I can read between your lines, Rev Phelps.

Lancane
01-07-2011, 09:29 PM
Racist post.

Bullshit Staples, it was an honest post. I admit my short comings and said there are candidates that I do like that transcend my past thinking. Geez, I grew up in one of the most deverse areas of Denver and am married to a woman who is a minority by the standard of the term and I'm racist! Get real...

:lol:

Lancane
01-07-2011, 09:29 PM
Oh, I can read between your lines, Rev Phelps.

Shhhh.... don't tell my wife, she'll kill me! ;)

I Eat Staples
01-07-2011, 09:32 PM
Bullshit Staples, it was an honest post. I admit my short comings and said there are candidates that I do like that transcend my past thinking. Geez, I grew up in one of the most deverse areas of Denver and am married to a woman who is a minority by the standard of the term and I'm racist! Get real...

Racist people marry minorities all of the time. You are a closet racist.

Lancane
01-07-2011, 09:42 PM
Racist people marry minorities all of the time. You are a closet racist.

Hahaha...

You're reaching bro, and badly I might add. I have not racist bone in my body. Some people just think differently, some are more open minded and don't rely on facts, some rely on facts and statistics more. Hell, I don't believe white running backs are as good as their African-American counterparts, and give Peyton Hillis that holds relatively true, would you argue that fact? Though I still think Hillis is a good, solid running back in the NFL...that's being a realist, not a racist.

I'm also a Liberal Democrat, I guess I voted for McCain since I'm so racist! :rolleyes:

I Eat Staples
01-07-2011, 09:50 PM
Hahaha...

You're reaching bro, and badly I might add. I have not racist bone in my body. Some people just think differently, some are more open minded and don't rely on facts, some rely on facts and statistics more. Hell, I don't believe white running backs are as good as their African-American counterparts, and give Peyton Hillis that holds relatively true, would you argue that fact? Though I still think Hillis is a good, solid running back in the NFL...that's being a realist, not a racist.

I'm also a Liberal Democrat, I guess I voted for McCain since I'm so racist! :rolleyes:

I will report this post to Jesse Jackson. I'm sure he created an account specifically for the Rooney rule thread.

On a side note, any good white corners in the draft this year?

Lancane
01-07-2011, 10:00 PM
I will report this post to Jesse Jackson. I'm sure he created an account specifically for the Rooney rule thread.

On a side note, any good white corners in the draft this year?

Hahahaha... :hahaha:

No, but there is a free safety that I'm pretty high on though he's a latter round prospect from Wyoming, Chris Prosinski.

;)

I Eat Staples
01-07-2011, 10:23 PM
Hahahaha... :hahaha:

No, but there is a free safety that I'm pretty high on though he's a latter round prospect from Wyoming, Chris Prosinski.

;)

Let's trade Tebow and a 2nd to take him.

BroncoStud
01-07-2011, 10:24 PM
I have to disagree Stud, he's been solid in New York, not great. But, was less then stellar in Buffalo as not only the defensive coordinator but also as the interim. I think Fewell needs a two or three years as a defensive coordinator to prove he is better then what we've seen. He's a terrific defensive backs coach, and if he wasn't a defensive coordinator I would be happy to have him in that capacity here...but not as the head coach, I don't think he's there just yet.

I agree he has done a pretty good job in NY, but then again that defense has a lot of talent...

I thought he was better in Buffalo, they had some good games with less talent. But you're right with him at interim, not a good job. He just didn't seem to have a grasp of what to do and when to do it.

You're also right that he needs more time to develop as a coach, he may turn out to be good but it's a major risk right now.