PDA

View Full Version : Ron Rivera - Experienced Defensive Co-ordinator

PAINTERDAVE
01-07-2011, 06:53 PM
He played with greats like Mike Singletary, Richard Dent and Otis Wilson winning a championship.

He coached Jeremiah Trotter to two Pro-Bowls, All Pro and playoffs (5-4 3 division titles). This was in the 4-3.

He coached Briggs and Urlacher to Pro Bowls, All Pros and the playoffs (2-2 with 2 division titles). This was in the 4-3.

He coached Jamal Williams, Merriman, and Phillips to the playoffs (3-3 3 division titles). This was in the 3-4.

We have a coach and players on our team who has worked with him. We can ask them about him.

2010 Chargers Defense = scoring 10th, passing 1st, rushing 1st = no playoffs
2009 Chargers Defense = scoring 16th, passing 11th, rushing 20th = playoffs
2008 Chargers Defense = scoring 15th, passing 31st, rushing 11th = playoffs
2007 Chargers (LB coach) = scoring 5th, passing 14th, rushing 16th = playoffs
2006 Bears Defense = scoring 3rd, passing 11th, rushing 6th = playoffs
2005 Bears Defense = scoring 1st, passing 5th, rushing 11th = playoffs
2004 Bears Defense = scoring 13th, passing 15th, rushing 25th = no playoffs
LB coach with Eagles 1999-2003 = 4 playoffs, 3 NFC Championship Games

Ron Rivera has coached in the 2nd round of the playoffs 7 times, the conference championship 5 times and the Super Bowl once.

This is not counting his "assistant" coaching times but only his position coach duties and cordinator duties.

PAINTERDAVE
01-07-2011, 06:57 PM
This guy should be on the TOP of our list...
should have been on the top of our list from jump street.

I just dont get it. :confused:

Mike
01-07-2011, 07:01 PM
I would be pleased if he got the nod. Disappointed to have not heard his name mentioned by the team so far.

Nomad
01-07-2011, 07:04 PM
This guy should be on the TOP of our list...
should have been on the top of our list from jump street.

I just dont get it. :confused:

This morning on 87.7, Elway said that Rivera was down the long list, but i agree he should have an interview already scheduled!!

Juriga72
01-07-2011, 07:07 PM
F-Elway and his list....

Seriously John.. This aint the AFL

BroncoStud
01-07-2011, 07:11 PM
F-Elway and his list....

Yeah, quite frankly, Elway's list sucks.

camdisco24
01-07-2011, 07:16 PM
I'm not giving up on Elway too quickly, but I do hope to see some better names on his list ASAP.

Either that, or hear that he's trying to bring in a BIG NAME D coordinator.

PAINTERDAVE
01-07-2011, 07:17 PM
Yeah, quite frankly, Elway's list sucks.

Sad, but true.

Rivera is interviewing in Carolina.. they would be fools not to snag him.

John.... call the man.

TiminatorTebow
01-07-2011, 07:17 PM
3 yards and a cloud of dust doesn't sell tickets. Almost every defensive coach turns his offense into that. I think Dungy might be the only one who didn't and thats only because he had Manning.

BroncoStud
01-07-2011, 07:22 PM
Sad, but true.

Rivera is interviewing in Carolina.. they would be fools not to snag him.

John.... call the man.

Yeah, we would be stupid not to call him ASAP. I'm quickly losing faith in Elway on this one. It's embarrassingly inept not to even land an interview with your primary candidate (Harbaugh).

camdisco24
01-07-2011, 07:29 PM
Yeah, we would be stupid not to call him ASAP. I'm quickly losing faith in Elway on this one. It's embarrassingly inept not to even land an interview with your primary candidate (Harbaugh).

I never saw that Harbaugh was a primary candidate... Elway said his name "had been thrown around" and thats it. If they really wanted him, they didnt pursue him very hard IMO.

BroncoStud
01-07-2011, 08:34 PM
I never saw that Harbaugh was a primary candidate... Elway said his name "had been thrown around" and thats it. If they really wanted him, they didnt pursue him very hard IMO.

Watch Elway's presser, he's gushing over Harbaugh and mentions him like 3-4 times...

Lancane
01-07-2011, 08:42 PM
I think Elway knew he couldn't land Harbaugh, I think he knew that well before yesterday. Harbaugh never made the effort to contact us, we let him know we were interested, every major sport network put it out into the airwaves. Harbaugh never had an interest and was set on a bay area team long before he made it official. He did what Gruden did with the U, he visited and got his stock up, got a little popular, the difference is Harbaugh did it within a 24 hour period. In the end Elway probably didn't know what to think and guessed he wanted to return to the collegiate level.

With the mention of Dennison and Koetter possibly getting interviews I think we might be looking at better and better candidates. I'm still surprised we haven't scheduled an interview with Rivera and I hope we do. But there are some more positive names starting to get mentioned. I would like to see us interview McDermott, Carmichael and maybe Morninwheg before it's all said and done, hopefully we can get an interview with Williams as well.

BeefStew25
01-07-2011, 09:02 PM
Is Rivera Mexican or Spanish?

Lancane
01-07-2011, 09:05 PM
Is Rivera Mexican or Spanish?

He's Puerto Rican and Mexican mixed I believe.

Lancane
01-07-2011, 09:10 PM
Broncos general manager Brian Xanders said Friday on Sirius/XM Radio that San Diego Chargers defensive coordinator Ron Rivera and New Orleans Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams are among those the Broncos are targeting.

Per NFLN

Ravage!!!
01-07-2011, 09:11 PM
So, you guys feel that he SHOULD be doing this, and now want to be on his case because we havent' signed a coach in 5 days? I'm glad we are being thorough, and I also don't think Rivera should be at the top of the list.

It was pretty clear that Harbaugh was staying in San Fran or Stanford. Why do you guys want him to waste his time and resources on dead ends? Harbaugh turned down a LOT more money to stay in California. What do you suppose we had to offer?

Unbelievable

I Eat Staples
01-07-2011, 09:24 PM
I like Ron Rivera.

Lancane
01-07-2011, 09:26 PM
And I stand by what I said, that if we do infact interview him, Ron Rivera will literally become the fan favorite for the position.

Juriga72
01-07-2011, 09:40 PM

Thats why John flew to watch Stanford play its bowl game.......

Juriga72
01-07-2011, 09:41 PM
And I stand by what I said, that if we do infact interview him, Ron Rivera will literally become the fan favorite for the position.

He's suceeded twice in two different defensive systems. There are alot of offensive guys we can get.......

BroncoStud
01-07-2011, 10:26 PM

It's shocking to me that he wasn't the first guy we approached. How many times do we need to watch the Chargers shut down our "high-powered" offense before we realize there is a man behind the schemes?

Rivera would be solid.

As far as our "candidates" go, here is my list:

1.) Rivera
2.) Dennison

underrated29
01-07-2011, 11:15 PM
exactly. I like guys with proven track records. He has one...

Its no coincidence that coyer had a good track record and when he left our defense fell apart. We bring in a guy with and drop him mid season, then we have slowick who has a proven track record of sucking the sack. Sure enough we bring in another guy with a proven track records of being good. Nolan, and our defense is once again back to par. We lose him and defense goes to shit.

Track records mean a lot. This guy has shown he can produce. That is why I like him so much. The other guys have potential and such but right now when IMO we are a defense away lets take history on our side and kick some ass.

EMB6903
01-07-2011, 11:24 PM
Im all for Rivera, dude can flat out coach and has been proven to make adjustments.

If Im not mistaken he went to coaching a dominant 4-3 tampa 2 defense in Chicago to a dominant 3-4 defense in San Diego. That has to tell you something.

Nomad
01-08-2011, 08:04 AM

That's all we are asking is for the BRONCOS FO to give Rivera an interview!!

NorthernLights
01-08-2011, 08:29 AM
This isn't unexpected, but I hate it. Ron is a fantastic coordinator and will probably make a very good head coach. His players respect him and he gets the most out of them. Not one pro-bowler on the Bolts defense this year, but they still ended up number one.

Regarding that number one rating, it's a bit skewed. The special teams were so bad, that there wasn't a whole lot of yards to go to score, thus number 10 in points allowed. Regardless, he is very good and I really don't want him going to the Broncos.

Fan in Exile
01-08-2011, 10:27 AM

He flew to the Bowl game because he was an honorary captain, you know he went to stanford right? He's got more connections there than just Harbaugh.

Lets be clear about Rivera he's been on a lot of people's short lists for headcoaching jobs and never gotten one. There's probably something that we don't know about what's going. So let's give JOHN ELWAY the benefit of the doubt before we start ripping into him.

Also keep in mind that just because he's been a great Defensive Co-ordinater doesn't mean that he will be a great head coach. He could turn out to be great or he could turn out like Dom Capers, Dick Lebeau, or Wade Phillips.

I think the front office is going about this the right way, look at all the candidates and find the right guy.

BroncoJoe
01-08-2011, 10:32 AM
Just curious why a lot of you think we need to be in a huge hurry. Some of the best coaching prospects are still coaching.

Nomad
01-08-2011, 10:40 AM
Just curious why a lot of you think we need to be in a huge hurry. Some of the best coaching prospects are still coaching.

Who's in a hurry? Most people would like to see as many HC interviewed as possible and trust the FO makes the right choice especially the ones that are available right now who aren't in the playoffs!! I am not stuck on a particular HC but I do have a favorite candidate like most do, but again if the he's not the guy according to the BRONCOS then so be it but at least give him/them an interview. If the BRONCOS FO does not believe any available HC coaching candidates, not in the playoffs, fit the BRONCOS then we'll have to wait until after each team is eliminated for a targeted coach!

Mike
01-08-2011, 10:49 AM

I don't think the team needs to hurry. This is just a guy I was hoping they would be considering especially when all the other names being considered are so bleh.

Nomad
01-08-2011, 10:55 AM
I guess I expect the BRONCOS to take their time but also they should be putting in the overtime to be doing interviews and evaluations. Do they an interview today with anyone....I haven't heard! I would expect at least an interview a day and even on Saturdays to weigh in their options!

No I don't know if the BRONCOS are calling candidates and they are turning down the offer!

Ravage!!!
01-08-2011, 11:21 AM

Well.. he might have flown there to watch the game because it was Stanford playing, AND because he was made an honorary captain.

GEM
01-08-2011, 11:44 AM
F-Elway and his list....

Yea, cause it's Elway's list and Elway's list alone. :lol: Poor guy...this just shows that no matter what, he'll be on the coals if he doesn't do what fans want him to do. And funny thing is....I don't think it's his sole responsibility to find a coach...something would give me the idea that he's got a lot of heads involved in picking a coach.

I can understand fans eating McD for lunch, but Elway is on the job for a total of 3 days and he's already getting an F Elway. :lol:

GEM
01-08-2011, 11:46 AM

He was honored at that game because of his play at Stanford. Geez. :rolleyes:

GEM
01-08-2011, 11:48 AM
Who's in a hurry? Most people would like to see as many HC interviewed as possible and trust the FO makes the right choice especially the ones that are available right now who aren't in the playoffs!! I am not stuck on a particular HC but I do have a favorite candidate like most do, but again if the he's not the guy according to the BRONCOS then so be it but at least give him/them an interview. If the BRONCOS FO does not believe any available HC coaching candidates, not in the playoffs, fit the BRONCOS then we'll have to wait until after each team is eliminated for a targeted coach!

For your first point....if they named a guy tomorrow they haven't gone through the steps needed to check into everyone available to make sure he is the right guy. Geez....it was just posted that Rivera is in consideration. Give them a minute, they might surprise ya.

GEM
01-08-2011, 11:49 AM
I don't think the team needs to hurry. This is just a guy I was hoping they would be considering especially when all the other names being considered are so bleh.

And it's already been reported that he is in consideration.

BroncoStud
01-08-2011, 12:56 PM

Carolina is interviewing Rivera, we need to get an interview ASAP just to give him options. If he is down the list (for whatever reason) then we need to step up the pressure so the Panthers don't get him before we talk to him.

Medford Bronco
01-08-2011, 01:12 PM
I said this on the Charger boad and they agreed with me that he would make a good HC.

I hope he get a chance. More excited about him than a Mike Mularkey type (he turned us down? not following too closely)

PAINTERDAVE
01-08-2011, 01:22 PM
Carolina is interviewing Rivera, we need to get an interview ASAP just to give him options. If he is down the list (for whatever reason) then we need to step up the pressure so the Panthers don't get him before we talk to him.

Time will tell.
It almost seems like Rivera is not their guy, though.
They cerrtainly did not tout him the way harbaugh was.

I like Rivera... I really dont get it...
but for whatever reason... they are dragging their feet on Ron.
Heck.. he even satisfies the Roony Rule.
They would have Studs and Rivera both in that respect.

I just dont get it.

I really wonder if there is something we dont know about behind the scenes.
It really makes no sense.

jhildebrand
01-08-2011, 01:29 PM
The F Elway sentiment confuses me. :confused:

First of all, part of the mistake that was Josh McDaniels is this team rushed into that hiring. It was Frazier, Garrett, and McDaniels who had real interviews. McDaniels was ushered in quickly and their was some dissent then about that move.

Now we are F-ing Elway because this thing isn't moving as fast as some of us would like it to? :confused:

Personally, the coach and the hire don't matter like it used to. Its not like we need a coach here today to prepare for the draft and get his scouting department together. That's what the new organization and structure is for!

That said, this team SHOULD take their sweet time. It will only benefit them if they do. Crazy things happen and a potential coach may feel slighted by another team and decide on Denver when they might have been a long shot i.e. Harbaugh w/ Miami then settling on SF. Besides, there are plenty of great coaches this team can't speak to until their team is out of the playoffs!

Juriga72
01-08-2011, 01:46 PM

First of all, part of the mistake that was Josh McDaniels is this team rushed into that hiring. It was Frazier, Garrett, and McDaniels who had real interviews. McDaniels was ushered in quickly and their was some dissent then about that move.

Now we are F-ing Elway because this thing isn't moving as fast as some of us would like it to? :confused:

Personally, the coach and the hire don't matter like it used to. Its not like we need a coach here today to prepare for the draft and get his scouting department together. That's what the new organization and structure is for!

That said, this team SHOULD take their sweet time. It will only benefit them if they do. Crazy things happen and a potential coach may feel slighted by another team and decide on Denver when they might have been a long shot i.e. Harbaugh w/ Miami then settling on SF. Besides, there are plenty of great coaches this team can't speak to until their team is out of the playoffs!

No...
I personally am F-ing Elway because he is wanting to interview OFFENSIVE coaches....

See.... McDummy was a OFFENSIVE genius.... SHANNY was a OFFENSIVE genius..........

Offensive geniuses tend to know OFFENSE....

F- that...we need DEFENSE help.

Rivera
Capers... you know guys who coached the #1 and #4 defense this year. Elway is "Claiming" that Rivera is "Way down his list"....

F-that John...get you arse on a plane and get someone who can improve our defense right f-ing now

BroncoStud
01-08-2011, 02:07 PM

I guess, for me, it's who Elway is choosing to interview first... There are 2 other openings, and the Browns seem to be moving faster and at a more professional rate than we are.

Carolina is interviewing Rivera, we haven't even spoken to him... Why the hell are guys like Studesville, Mularkey, and Fox higher up the list than guys like Rivera, Gruden, and others...?

Dennison, ok, I get that, but I don't see anyone else trying to get at him.

We should be interviewing guys like Harbaugh and Rivera ASAP, because there is demand for them.

I guess I just kind of think Elway's list sucks, at least the list he has given us. Hopefully it's just a smokescreen.

PAINTERDAVE
01-08-2011, 02:07 PM
I said this on the Charger boad and they agreed with me that he would make a good HC.

I hope he get a chance. More excited about him than a Mike Mularkey type (he turned us down? not following too closely)

It is interesting that Charger fans are all behind the guy.
That says a lot about him.

Juriga72
01-08-2011, 02:18 PM
He was honored at that game because of his play at Stanford. Geez. :rolleyes:

As I explained earlier..... Ok fine get named to be a Bowl "Captain"...good.

NOW-
#1- JUST hired for front office who just fired its HC- SHOULD be pretty busy checking out guys to hire right? OH lookee here... THERE'S one standing right there at the game (Harbaugh). What was that John??? What did you say on your own radio show this week??

Elway said on his weekly radio show on 87.7 The Ticket in Denver on Friday morning that he thought Harbaugh was staying in the college ranks, either at Stanford or maybe Michigan, his alma mater. Stanford looked like the leader after star quarterback Andrew Luck decided to stick around for another season.

Elway had reached out to Harbaugh while serving as an honorary captain for his alma mater at the Orange Bowl, where the Cardinal beat Virginia Tech 40-12 to finish 12-1.

"I told Jim when we were down at the Orange Bowl that if he was interested in coming to the NFL, we would love to be able to talk to him," Elway said on his show.

#2- Lookee here... "We's got the #2 pick this draft"- Oh boy.... Look who else is standing right there on the sideline ( Luck)... MAYBE I should go introduce myself to Andrew....."HI Andrew... MY name Is John Elway...you might know me as a HOF qb from Denver.... You know where I am now in charge of DRAFTING people also besides hiring new head coaches".....

#3-IF you could also believe it.... LAST year Elway turned DOWN the invitation to be "Stanford Sun Bowl Captain" LAST year....because he was "Too busy" ( Per ESPN The Herd show yesterday)

yeah...... too busy LAST year... not so busy this year...Hmmmmmmmm

TXBRONC
01-08-2011, 03:34 PM
No...
I personally am F-ing Elway because he is wanting to interview OFFENSIVE coaches....

See.... McDummy was a OFFENSIVE genius.... SHANNY was a OFFENSIVE genius..........

Offensive geniuses tend to know OFFENSE....

F- that...we need DEFENSE help.

Rivera
Capers... you know guys who coached the #1 and #4 defense this year. Elway is "Claiming" that Rivera is "Way down his list"....

F-that John...get you arse on a plane and get someone who can improve our defense right f-ing now

Defensive geniuses tend to know defense.

Being a good defensive coordinator doesn't mean a guy will be good head coach see Dom Capers.

Juriga72
01-08-2011, 03:55 PM
Defensive geniuses tend to know defense.

Being a good defensive coordinator doesn't mean a guy will be good head coach see Dom Capers.
Lets not forget... Dom Capers took a second year team to the NFC Championship game (Carolina).......

Bill Bellicheat seems to know Offense, Lovie Smith seems to also, Mike Smith down in Atlanta....Defense.....Foot boy for the JETS, Mike Tomlin and his Steelers,

ALL four teams with a bye this year have Defense minded coaches!!!!

I would rather have a great defense, and average O than a Great O and terrible d.

Right now..... Defense is running the NFL playoffs 8 out of the top 10 D are in the playoffs... only 5 of the top 10 O's are in

EMB6903
01-08-2011, 03:59 PM
Capers took over 2 expansion teams... not easy to do.

TXBRONC
01-08-2011, 04:07 PM
Bill Bellicheat seems to know Offense, Lovie Smith seems to also, Mike Smith down in Atlanta....Defense.....

I would rather have a great defense, and average O than a Great O and terrible d.

Right now..... Defense is running the NFL playoffs 8 out of the top 10 D are in the playoffs... only 5 of the top 10 O's are in

Bill does? Since when? Come on Juriga, Lovie Smith knows offense? If did why the hell did hire Mike Martz? And Mike Smith has Mularkey running his offense.

I would rather be as good as I can be on both sides of the ball.

True 8 of the top 10 defensive are in playoffs but I think you're oversimplifying things. Because those teams also have more common than just good defense. Many of those teams have an elite quarterback and a terrific running game on offense.

Juriga72
01-08-2011, 06:10 PM
Bill does? Since when? Come on Juriga, Lovie Smith knows offense? If did why the hell did hire Mike Martz? And Mike Smith has Mularkey running his offense.

I would rather be as good as I can be on both sides of the ball.

True 8 of the top 10 defensive are in playoffs but I think you're oversimplifying things. Because those teams also have more common than just good defense. Many of those teams have an elite quarterback and a terrific running game on offense.

Ok.... WHo had the hgihest scoring offense this year???? LOL
I am just saying that with a STUD defense you can get to the Super Bowl...

YES.. I would think that Tebow could get a "Average" offense with the boy scout troop master leading it INTO the playoffs.

Even you seem to understand that with Martz getting ( BTW fired from 3 jobs) a VERY poor O-line into the playoffs at 11-5....

Not saying its gospel... but the whole "lets have a great Offense and see if we can carry the defense" has not worked here for about 7 years...

Lets try it the other way ....Yards are nice, but i want a defense to keep us in games.

BroncoStud
01-08-2011, 06:18 PM
I actually wouldn't be totally upset if Dom Capers came here as the HC. He's a great defensive mind and he isn't afraid to open it up on offense.