PDA

View Full Version : Do we have any punishers left?

omac
09-12-2008, 06:58 PM
Al Wilson used to be able to lay down some heavy hits.

Lynch would be able to time his hits for maximum crunch.

Do we have anyone like that left? It seems we have a bunch of speedy, tackling guys, but I just don't see the mean-ness in our defense.

omac
09-12-2008, 07:02 PM
On a side note, Lynch is looking for a team. Not sure if there's room in the roster for him now.

MasterShake
09-12-2008, 07:06 PM
I don't think we have any Thumpers left, but thats ok with me. I'd rather have guys that can arm tackle and wrap up ball carriers than a lumber layer. Sometimes those guys miss easy TACKLES while going for big HITS. Its cool to watch, but I like finesse defenses better.

BigDaddyBronco
09-12-2008, 07:09 PM
Maybe if Webster's helmet flies off and hits somebody, but that's about it.

Like Shake said, doesn't matter if we are making tackles.

Italianmobstr7
09-12-2008, 07:13 PM
DJ can still hit. Hamza brings the wood too. Nasty Nate Webster can bring some hits too. We haven't seen what Boss can do yet. We still have hitters on this team. They're just more controlled than Al (with the exception of Hamzah)

chanesaw
09-12-2008, 07:18 PM
I actually think that it a missing part of our defense. Maybe we can get a hard hitting MLB and safety in next year's draft.

omac
09-12-2008, 07:21 PM
I don't think we have any Thumpers left, but thats ok with me. I'd rather have guys that can arm tackle and wrap up ball carriers than a lumber layer. Sometimes those guys miss easy TACKLES while going for big HITS. Its cool to watch, but I like finesse defenses better.

Yeah, I like that our tacklers are more sure, maybe better now with their technique, but I'd like them to have a reputation of really hitting people. I want receivers to hear them coming and get a bit cautious when catching the ball. I also want, even at the end of a big run, someone to lay the RB flat.

I do agree, though, the ones who go for the big hit also miss a lot.

BigDaddyBronco
09-12-2008, 07:25 PM
I actually think that it a missing part of our defense. Maybe we can get a hard hitting MLB and safety in next year's draft.

Well, fortunately, it looks like we might be too good to get Rey Maualuga or Laurinitis. Maybe there will be another good one or a great safety coming our way.

honz
09-12-2008, 07:25 PM
That Webster-McFadden-Winborn sandwich was a pretty nice hit. A little welcome to the NFL moment for Run DMC.

Hamza can lay down a big hit and that new safety Lowry is supposed to be a big hitter. DJ is always good for a big hit every now and then.

omac
09-12-2008, 07:32 PM

That would be cool.

I want our defense, or one of the players, to be just like the Fathead commercial's portrayal of the Brian Urlacher grizzly bear. :D

jrelway
09-12-2008, 07:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATu0lvrTUi4

heres a funny vid of nate webster back tagging michael vick in his jewels. nates #52. lol..laying some wood.

EastCoastBronco
09-12-2008, 08:02 PM
We don't need punishers...Punishers are GRAVY...we need STOPPERS. Guys who can tackle and not let go. Jawbreakers are for show..give me a wrapper like Bailey any day of the week. That kind of D stops people on 3rd and 5.

SarahKay
09-12-2008, 08:54 PM
What game was it last year that Lynch like flat out laid someone out? Was it Rivers against the Chargers?? I believe he got fined and there was a penalty if I remember correctly.

EastCoastBronco
09-12-2008, 09:48 PM
Good to see you out on a Friday night PutzierChic/McCaffreyChic...
BTW, SarahKay is a lot better handle...

lex
09-12-2008, 09:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATu0lvrTUi4

heres a funny vid of nate webster back tagging michael vick in his pesos. nates #52. lol..laying some wood.

Fixed it for ya.

omac
09-14-2008, 12:06 AM
I just think we need someone to consistently lay the hit on anyone catching anything in the middle. Guys like Gates are so good, they're just hard to stop, so if we can't stop him, wear him out with big hits throughout the game, and maybe he won't play as well in the 4th quarter. Against some other receivers, it makes them give a half-hearted effort at the ball, knowing they'll take a big hit.

hamrob
09-14-2008, 11:38 AM
I believe Mcree is a hitter. From what I understand...this is mainly what he's been known for. I really liked what I saw from him in the Raiders game. I also understand that Lowry can deliver the wood. I also believe anyone of our LB's can put a smack on you if and when they have the oppurtunity...and that includes Winborn. Webster is probably the best hitter...sort of in the Al Wilson mold. Doesn't take the greatest angles and doesn't wrap up well...but he does hit you with authority.

DenBronx
09-14-2008, 07:17 PM
after watching this last game im gonna say a big fat NO.

atwater27
09-14-2008, 08:53 PM
Al Wilson used to be able to lay down some heavy hits.

Lynch would be able to time his hits for maximum crunch.

Do we have anyone like that left? It seems we have a bunch of speedy, tackling guys, but I just don't see the mean-ness in our defense.

At this point I would settle for anyone who could tackle, or at least be in position once a game.

Broncolingus
09-14-2008, 09:31 PM
I agree there was some poor tackling from the LBs and DBs today...

That said, ANY friggin pressure from the defensive line would solve the most/all of the 'problems' that we saw in the second half of todays game...

...and the past 8 years.

Offense looks good though.

broncofaninfla
09-15-2008, 09:07 AM
At the begiining of the season I would have said this is crazy but after looking at just how weak or MLB's are, I would love to bring John Lynch back and plug him in at MLB. He is by far a better tackler and hitter than anybody we have.

omac
09-15-2008, 09:17 AM
At the begiining of the season I would have said this is crazy but after looking at just how weak or MLB's are, I would love to bring John Lynch back and plug him in at MLB. He is by far a better tackler and hitter than anybody we have.

I like the way Lynch times his hits for maximum pop. I just don't know if he still has the speed to keep up. MLB? Has he ever played that, even in college or HS?

The one who'd be cool to get, after he rehabs from his operation and when the Chargers don't extend his contract .... Merriman! :D

BeefStew25
09-15-2008, 09:26 AM
Screw Lynch. He wanted out so he could play for a contender. Well, um, :hi:

broncofaninfla
09-15-2008, 10:14 AM
I like the way Lynch times his hits for maximum pop. I just don't know if he still has the speed to keep up. MLB? Has he ever played that, even in college or HS?

The one who'd be cool to get, after he rehabs from his operation and when the Chargers don't extend his contract .... Merriman! :D

As far as I know he has never played MLB and would be undersaized BUT no way he plays any worse than what we have now. He would be an upgrade for us at that position.

O-ManePunisher
09-15-2008, 10:20 AM
Woodyard!

Traveler
09-15-2008, 10:29 AM
Please don't get me statrted on tackling and over pursuing! Webster is not starting material. He just happen to beat out a lesser talented player.

While it's still early in the season, my guess is that our weak pass rush and ST will cost us some games.