PDA

View Full Version : New Name on Elways Coaching list.

PAINTERDAVE
01-07-2011, 06:14 PM
via @JohnElway Twitter

Quote:
Just received permission to speak with Jaguars Offensive Coordinator Dirk Koetter. Previously was HC at Arizona State and Boise State.

Experience
Highland H.S. - Head Coach
San Francisco State - (OC)
UTEP - (OC)
Missouri - (OC)
Boston College - (OC)
Oregon - (OC)
Boise State - Head Coach
Arizona State - Head Coach
Jacksonville - NFL (OC since 2007)

From Jaguars Profile

Quote:
Dirk Koetter was named Jaguars offensive coordinator on January 10, 2007, and he is now in his fourth season running the Jaguars offense. Known for his expertise of the passing offense, Koetter has 28 years of coaching experience including nine as a college head coach. Prior to joining the Jaguars Koetter served as head coach at Boise State from 1998-2000 and at Arizona State from 2001-06.

Through Koetter’s first three years with the Jaguars (2007-09), the offense ranks 13th in NFL total offense (337.7 yards per game), seventh in rushing (129.0), tenth in first downs (19.6), fifth in third-down conversions (43.9%), sixth in average per rush (4.4), fifth in fewest giveaways (68) and first with only 31 interceptions thrown.

Last year the offense ranked fourth in the league in third-down conversions (45.1%) and produced six plays of 60+ yards along with three games with 400+ yards of total offense.

In his first season with the Jaguars, Koetter directed a record-breaking season by the offense as the unit set franchise single-season records for points (411, 25.7 avg.), touchdowns (50), touchdown passes (28) and yards per play (5.6). The Jaguars ranked seventh in the NFL in offense (357.4), tied for the second-highest ranking in franchise history, totaled 400-plus yards in a team-record seven games and scored 24 or more points in 10 consecutive games for the first time in team history. Quarterback David Garrard in his first season as the starter ranked third in the NFL with a 102.2 passer rating and threw an NFL-low three interceptions. Garrard threw for a career-high 3,620 yards in 2008 including the first two 300-yard games of his career.

Koetter led Arizona State to four bowl games in his six seasons and finished with a 40-34 record. While also serving as offensive coordinator, Koetter helped the Sun Devils average nearly 30 points per game over six seasons and the team was ranked in the top 20 in the nation in passing offense in five of his six seasons.

Koetter molded Arizona State's all-time leading passer in Andrew Walter, its top career receiver in Derek Hagan and the top tight end in school history in Zach Miller. Walter, who played his final three seasons under Koetter, left as the Pac-10's career leader for touchdown passes with 85, surpassing John Elway who threw for 77 touchdowns at Stanford from 1979-82. Hagan, who was a third-round pick of the Miami Dolphins in 2006, finished with a school-record 14 career 100-yard receiving games. Miller finished the 2006 season as the school's all-time leader in receptions and receiving yards for a tight end and was one of three finalists for the John Mackey Award.

In 2005, ASU finished second in the nation in total offense, averaging 519.1 yards per game and third in the nation with 373.4 passing yards per game. In 2004, Koetter led ASU to a 9-3 record and finished the season ranked 19th in the Associated Press Poll. After finishing 4-7 in his first season at ASU, Koetter directed the program to an 8-6 mark in 2002 and a berth in the Holiday Bowl.

Prior to taking over ASU, Koetter spent three seasons as head coach at Boise State where he compiled a 26-10 mark and two consecutive bowl victories. He was a two-time Big West Coach of the Year honoree and two-time conference champion.

A native of Pocatello, Idaho, Koetter played four seasons at Idaho State as the team won a Division I-AA national championship. He graduated in 1981 with a bachelor’s degree in physical education and earned a master’s degree the following year in athletic administration. Following his graduation, he became head coach at Highland High at age 23 where he compiled a career record of 19-4 and won the 1984 state championship.

Koetter spent the 1985 season as offensive coordinator at San Francisco State and from 1986-88 as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at the University of Texas El-Paso. Prior to taking over at Boise State, Koetter served as offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach at Missouri from 1989-93 and offensive coordinator at Boston College (1994-95) and Oregon (1996-97).

Juriga72
01-07-2011, 06:16 PM
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

F-no....... Can we get a new Elway..this one is crazy.......

camdisco24
01-07-2011, 06:18 PM
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just weighing his options. I'd rather interview a BUNCH of HC candidates than jump on one of the first 2 or 3.

Juriga72
01-07-2011, 06:23 PM
Just weighing his options. I'd rather interview a BUNCH of HC candidates than jump on one of the first 2 or 3.

I would rather him (Elway ) name ONE guy who understands defense....

Please John... I know you were a qb, BUT.......
Our 32nd ranked defense- needs help here

Lets try say....... Dom Capers- Previous HC/ GREAT d mind

Lancane
01-07-2011, 06:24 PM
I actually like Dirk Koetter, I said that we should look at him not long back. He might not get hired, but he's at least a solid candidate to give an interview to.

vettesplus
01-07-2011, 06:53 PM
never heard of dirk, i am somewhat worried about the road our new vp is taking on a hc deal.....

Lancane
01-07-2011, 07:00 PM
never heard of dirk, i am somewhat worried about the road our new vp is taking on a hc deal.....

Dirk Koetter was at one time considered the Shanahan of collegiate football. He's an X and O type guy. He was an offensive coordinator at five different colleges. And as a head coach at both Boise St. and Arizona St. he was 66-44 overall.

The problem people have with Koetter is that his last year at ASU was less then stellar, even though it was still a winning season by collegiate standards. He's only had two losing seasons out of nine seasons as a head coach.

JDL
01-07-2011, 07:03 PM

And complete failure as a Head Coach

Juriga72
01-07-2011, 07:11 PM

Taking a second year team to the playoffs and making the NFC Championship is a "Complete Failure"???

Hell its better than ANY Bellicheat spam did...

BroncoStud
01-07-2011, 07:15 PM

First thing you've said on this board that I agree with.

claymore
01-07-2011, 08:38 PM
Id rather have a no name, than a big headed sexy name that wants all the juice. I envision 3 coordinators. One OC, one DC, and one HC that coordinates practice.

BeefStew25
01-07-2011, 08:46 PM
Id rather have a no name, than a big headed sexy name that wants all the juice. I envision 3 coordinators. One OC, one DC, and one HC that coordinates practice.

Amen. And dudes that have proven to not be pubeless children.

claymore
01-07-2011, 08:51 PM
Amen. And dudes that have proven to not be pubeless children.

Real men that delegate, and mentor.

BeefStew25
01-07-2011, 09:01 PM
Real men that delegate, and mentor.

Hire awesome people and let them do their job.

Right now I want Dennison.

JDL
01-07-2011, 09:07 PM
taking a second year team to the playoffs and making the nfc championship is a "complete failure"???

Hell its better than any bellicheat spam did...

48-80... Complete failure

I Eat Staples
01-07-2011, 09:13 PM
I think we could do better, but I don't really know this guy.

Lancane
01-07-2011, 09:31 PM
I think we could do better, but I don't really know this guy.

Just read up on him Staples, you might find that you don't want him as the head coach, but you'll see why he is getting an interview at least.

Juriga72
01-07-2011, 09:38 PM
Just read up on him Staples, you might find that you don't want him as the head coach, but you'll see why he is getting an interview at least.

I am thinking that Elway might be trying to get too many people in for a interview here.....

By going thru so many people who "Might" be a good HC.... I think he's going to bog the process down... Dear lord if we miss a guy because some other team moves faster.

my .02

I Eat Staples
01-07-2011, 09:40 PM

I read some and that's exactly how I feel, I think we could do better but he sounds like a good guy to give an interview.

Lancane
01-07-2011, 09:46 PM
I read some and that's exactly how I feel, I think we could do better but he sounds like a good guy to give an interview.

Exactly, right now my favorites are Rivera and Dennison, though if we get an interview with Rivera, he'll be my favorite hands down and the favorite amongst the fans. But by at least interviewing Koetter the Broncos are being dilligent in the process and looking at more then just coaches that are hyped such as Fewell or Mularkey.

robert ethan
01-07-2011, 10:07 PM
I like Koetter better than any of the other names I've heard so far. Do it and get it over with.

Juriga72
01-07-2011, 10:51 PM
I like Koetter better than any of the other names I've heard so far. Do it and get it over with.

Kinda like how Harbaugh wouldnt sign with San Fran.......

WARHORSE
01-08-2011, 12:08 AM
via @JohnElway Twitter

Quote:
Just received permission to speak with Jaguars Offensive Coordinator Dirk Koetter. Previously was HC at Arizona State and Boise State.

Experience
Highland H.S. - Head Coach
San Francisco State - (OC)
UTEP - (OC)
Missouri - (OC)
Boston College - (OC)
Oregon - (OC)
Boise State - Head Coach
Arizona State - Head Coach
Jacksonville - NFL (OC since 2007)

From Jaguars Profile

Quote:
Dirk Koetter was named Jaguars offensive coordinator on January 10, 2007, and he is now in his fourth season running the Jaguars offense. Known for his expertise of the passing offense, Koetter has 28 years of coaching experience including nine as a college head coach. Prior to joining the Jaguars Koetter served as head coach at Boise State from 1998-2000 and at Arizona State from 2001-06.

Through Koetter’s first three years with the Jaguars (2007-09), the offense ranks 13th in NFL total offense (337.7 yards per game), seventh in rushing (129.0), tenth in first downs (19.6), fifth in third-down conversions (43.9%), sixth in average per rush (4.4), fifth in fewest giveaways (68) and first with only 31 interceptions thrown.

Last year the offense ranked fourth in the league in third-down conversions (45.1%) and produced six plays of 60+ yards along with three games with 400+ yards of total offense.

In his first season with the Jaguars, Koetter directed a record-breaking season by the offense as the unit set franchise single-season records for points (411, 25.7 avg.), touchdowns (50), touchdown passes (28) and yards per play (5.6). The Jaguars ranked seventh in the NFL in offense (357.4), tied for the second-highest ranking in franchise history, totaled 400-plus yards in a team-record seven games and scored 24 or more points in 10 consecutive games for the first time in team history. Quarterback David Garrard in his first season as the starter ranked third in the NFL with a 102.2 passer rating and threw an NFL-low three interceptions. Garrard threw for a career-high 3,620 yards in 2008 including the first two 300-yard games of his career.

Koetter led Arizona State to four bowl games in his six seasons and finished with a 40-34 record. While also serving as offensive coordinator, Koetter helped the Sun Devils average nearly 30 points per game over six seasons and the team was ranked in the top 20 in the nation in passing offense in five of his six seasons.

Koetter molded Arizona State's all-time leading passer in Andrew Walter, its top career receiver in Derek Hagan and the top tight end in school history in Zach Miller. Walter, who played his final three seasons under Koetter, left as the Pac-10's career leader for touchdown passes with 85, surpassing John Elway who threw for 77 touchdowns at Stanford from 1979-82. Hagan, who was a third-round pick of the Miami Dolphins in 2006, finished with a school-record 14 career 100-yard receiving games. Miller finished the 2006 season as the school's all-time leader in receptions and receiving yards for a tight end and was one of three finalists for the John Mackey Award.

In 2005, ASU finished second in the nation in total offense, averaging 519.1 yards per game and third in the nation with 373.4 passing yards per game. In 2004, Koetter led ASU to a 9-3 record and finished the season ranked 19th in the Associated Press Poll. After finishing 4-7 in his first season at ASU, Koetter directed the program to an 8-6 mark in 2002 and a berth in the Holiday Bowl.

Prior to taking over ASU, Koetter spent three seasons as head coach at Boise State where he compiled a 26-10 mark and two consecutive bowl victories. He was a two-time Big West Coach of the Year honoree and two-time conference champion.

A native of Pocatello, Idaho, Koetter played four seasons at Idaho State as the team won a Division I-AA national championship. He graduated in 1981 with a bachelor’s degree in physical education and earned a master’s degree the following year in athletic administration. Following his graduation, he became head coach at Highland High at age 23 where he compiled a career record of 19-4 and won the 1984 state championship.

Koetter spent the 1985 season as offensive coordinator at San Francisco State and from 1986-88 as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at the University of Texas El-Paso. Prior to taking over at Boise State, Koetter served as offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach at Missouri from 1989-93 and offensive coordinator at Boston College (1994-95) and Oregon (1996-97).

Sounds good to me. :coffee:

claymore
01-08-2011, 08:33 AM
Hire awesome people and let them do their job.

Right now I want Dennison.

Kinda where im leaning right now. I dont care what anyone says. The ZBS will work with good athletic lineman. Tebow would be a star in our old offense, and Moreno would shine.

JaxBroncoGirl
01-08-2011, 09:49 AM
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am with you Oh Hell No! I hope I don't get in trouble for that word but NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Run, Run, Throw they do not call the Jaguars 3 and out for nothing. Hell no!!!!!!!!!!!Run, Run, Throw, up the middle up the middle No Gain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TXBRONC
01-08-2011, 02:31 PM

I agree that Capers could revamp the defense but his tenures as a head were not stellar.

PAINTERDAVE
01-08-2011, 02:36 PM
I am with you Oh Hell No! I hope I don't get in trouble for that word but NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Run, Run, Throw they do not call the Jaguars 3 and out for nothing. Hell no!!!!!!!!!!!Run, Run, Throw, up the middle up the middle No Gain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It says a lot... coming from a Jax fan....

JaxBroncoGirl
01-08-2011, 02:43 PM
It says a lot... coming from a Jax fan....

Not really a fan. Just know that the Jaguars are probably praying we take him. 3/out cats is what they are called. The offense is not stellar and if this coach thinks Garrard is the answer to the Jaguars problems then Oh Hell No!!!!!NO! NO! NO!

Lancane
01-08-2011, 06:32 PM
Not really a fan. Just know that the Jaguars are probably praying we take him. 3/out cats is what they are called. The offense is not stellar and if this coach thinks Garrard is the answer to the Jaguars problems then Oh Hell No!!!!!NO! NO! NO!

Again, I believe this is more based on the lack of talent rather then his particular scheme. He actually had a high powered passing attack at ASU and a balanced offense at Boise St.

Another thing to remember is that even if he is the Head Coach, we are in all likelyhood going to go after a very experienced OC and DC, that doesn't mean the offense would be just based off what he knows. The same could be said if we hired a defensive minded head coach, what...is he going to run the offense as well? I don't see the Broncos allowing there new staff to be micro-managed.

ChairmanBron
01-08-2011, 10:24 PM
Again, I believe this is more based on the lack of talent rather then his particular scheme. He actually had a high powered passing attack at ASU and a balanced offense at Boise St.

Another thing to remember is that even if he is the Head Coach, we are in all likelyhood going to go after a very experienced OC and DC, that doesn't mean the offense would be just based off what he knows. The same could be said if we hired a defensive minded head coach, what...is he going to run the offense as well? I don't see the Broncos allowing there new staff to be micro-managed.

Exactly. He had to dumb down the Jaguar's offense because the quarterback and other personal was on overload. Basically he catered to his personal.

Koetter's a good coach. But his downfall at ASU was his defense where he was hands off and let the coordinator run the show. He didn't pick the right coordinator to run the right defense. Totally on him.

His offenses were always at or near the top of the Pac10.

If by chance Koetter gets hired, I would guess he would certainly bring in Mark Helfrich (his long time college offensive assistant) the current offensive coordinator of the Oregon Ducks as his offensive coordinator.

Defense..... Hopefully Elway would not let him pick the coordinator by himself.

Agent of Orange
01-08-2011, 10:33 PM

Garrard has been really hot and cold over the years. Is that Koetter's fault? Who knows but when Garrard is playing well the offense looks good. Predictaby, when he sucks, it looks bad. But you could say that about a lot of teams. Not everyone is as on and off as Garrard though.

Lancane
01-08-2011, 10:41 PM
Garrard has been really hot and cold over the years. Is that Koetter's fault? Who knows but when Garrard is playing well the offense looks good. Predictaby, when he sucks, it looks bad. But you could say that about a lot of teams. Not everyone is as on and off as Garrard though.

When I look at the Jaguars offensive roster, I don't see a good core group that is really needed to succeed, and yet, Koetter has fielded an offense that has been competitive. He's being judged too harshly IMHO, and I would be fine if he was hired as the head coach...again, as long as he had the right people around him on the coaching staff.