PDA

View Full Version : Elway asks permission to interview Dennison

GEM
01-07-2011, 04:06 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17036156?source=rss

The Broncos are closing in on a third candidate for their head coaching position.

John Elway, the new boss of the Broncos' football department, said on his radio show Friday morning with Vic and Gary that he is in the process of seeking permission to interview Houston Texans offensive coordinator Rick Dennison about Denver's head job.

"I have talked to (Texans' coach) Gary (Kubiak) on Rick Dennison," Elway said on 87.7 FM The Ticket. "And also Gary was telling us of (Dennison's) interest."

Read more: Elway seeks permission to interview Houston's Rick Dennison about Broncos' job - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17036156?source=rss#ixzz1ANyldpEa
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Read the rest there.

So Elway is talking to Kubes about Dennison.....now it really seems like the old days. :lol:

Ziggy
01-07-2011, 04:10 PM
I'm torn on this one. Dennison has been groomed to know both sides of the ball and become an NFL head coach. The problem is that he's been groomed on soft teams that run a full time zone blocking scheme and tend to get pushed around.

chazoe60
01-07-2011, 04:21 PM
I'm torn on this one. Dennison has been groomed to know both sides of the ball and become an NFL head coach. The problem is that he's been groomed on soft teams that run a full time zone blocking scheme and tend to get pushed around.

He's also extremely intelligent and I believe he's smart enough to know when he needs to adapt.

I hope we hire him. I hope we convince Fassel to be OC.

silkamilkamonico
01-07-2011, 04:29 PM
Not sure how I feel about Dennison. I would not be in favor of Dennison at all if it meant Jim Fassel as a part of the staff.

hotcarl
01-07-2011, 04:44 PM
ugh

red98
01-07-2011, 04:56 PM
Not sure how I feel about Dennison. I would not be in favor of Dennison at all if it meant Jim Fassel as a part of the staff.

I don't know what people see in Fossil. He was a good QB coach once, that's it.

I saw him up close when he was with the Giants. Saw him take the play calling
duties away from Sean Payton.

Dennison is too smart to bring in Fossil in any capacity.

TXBRONC
01-07-2011, 05:23 PM
As I said elsewhere I think Dennison would be solid hire. If he was hired then who does he get as his quarterback's coach and offensive coordinator? :ponder:

Lancane
01-07-2011, 06:09 PM
As I said elsewhere I think Dennison would be solid hire. If he was hired then who does he get as his quarterback's coach and offensive coordinator? :ponder:

Hmmm...

It's a good solid question, so I am just going to throw a few names out there, Brian Pariani, Barney Chavous, Pat McPherson, Karl Dorrell, John Teerlinck, Keith Millard, Ed Donatell, Frank Pollack, Bruce Matthews are some of the coaches we could see in some capacity with the team.

I think Karl Dorrell as OC is a possibility.

D. Moore
01-07-2011, 06:20 PM
Hiring Dennison would be a mistake IMO Josh Mcdaniels all over again. I dont need back to back coaches who have no experience as HC come in here again and perform their 5th grade science experiment on our proud organization. We have all witnessed Shanny mind you with better talent in his last few years than what we currently have now coach the same system to an average record, Do you believe Dennison (and he will run a very very similar system to Mike and Gary)can win right away or improve the team to a point that we the fanbase are satisfied? I dont believe he can.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

red98
01-07-2011, 06:24 PM
Hmmm...

It's a good solid question, so I am just going to throw a few names out there, Brian Pariani, Barney Chavous, Pat McPherson, Karl Dorrell, John Teerlinck, Keith Millard, Ed Donatell, Frank Pollack, Bruce Matthews are some of the coaches we could see in some capacity with the team.

I think Karl Dorrell as OC is a possibility.

There should be a thread for this. I'm curious who's out there to fill in the staff once a HC is hired.

Lancane
01-07-2011, 06:28 PM
There should be a thread for this. I'm curious who's out there to fill in the staff once a HC is hired.

It depends on the head coach Red, we've learned from reports that McDaniels hired most of his staff through his agent? Some go with recommendations from those they know or go with people who he knows himself. There is no exact science give that you have to hire people that you feel will be able to do their jobs well. We've seen the opposite more then enough times here in Denver.

Mike
01-07-2011, 06:58 PM
Please don't let this happen.

I hated him as the ST coach, he came in and coached Alex Gibbs already solid line. What has he done to deserve HC consideration?

Come on team, think change and refuse to go back to the past. I will be Claymore/McD pissed if they hire Dennison.

dogfish
01-07-2011, 07:02 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17036156?source=rss

Read the rest there.

So Elway is talking to Kubes about Dennison.....now it really seems like the old days. :lol:

just wait 'til we get frank bush or bob slowick to run the defense. . .

GEM
01-07-2011, 07:20 PM
just wait 'til we get frank bush or bob slowick to run the defense. . .

Dog....I hope you never taste a bowl of good green chile again....EVER! :mad:

Cugel
01-07-2011, 07:32 PM

I'd say the Zone Blocking System works just fine. :coffee:

A disciple of the Broncos' once famed zone-blocking system, Dennison helped Arian Foster, an undrafted second-year back, become the NFL's leading rusher this season with 1,616 yards.

So Dennison takes an undrafted RB and turns him into the NFL's leading rusher while McDaniels takes 1st round draft pick Knowshon Moreno and creates the NFL's WORST rushing attack! :coffee:

The ZBS worked just fine when Shanahan ran it, we had the #2 offense in football and a good running attack despite having some pretty bad RBs over-all.

I for one would LOVE to see the ZBS come back. That was another of McDaniels' WORST mistakes in scrapping it! In 2008, Shanny's last year not only did Denver have the #2 offense in football, but Cutler was only sacked 11 times all year!

Ryan Clady and Ryan Harris were great in that system! The entire OL was pretty good despite having a bunch of very YOUNG and inexperienced players. Clady, Harris & Chris Kuper are all experienced in it already! (and probably better suited to it than a power-blocking scheme).

Clady hasn't played at a Pro-bowl level since McDaniels came, and he's probably the 2nd most talented player on the team behind Champ Bailey!

If we could go back to it, we could really get things moving on the ground again! And Dennison knows that system inside and out. He could easily bring it back.

dogfish
01-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Dog....I hope you never taste a bowl of good green chile again....EVER! :mad:

it's bowlen and elway's fault, don't blame me!

:lol:

dogfish
01-07-2011, 07:53 PM
And Dennison knows that system inside and out. He could easily bring it back.

what makes anyone think he won't also bring back the shanahan/kubiak style of defense?

Dzone
01-07-2011, 08:15 PM
Cant say anyone is a capable HC unless we see them in an interview. If they have a dull personality like Wade Phillips, then they are probably not equipped with a leaders personality. Dennison would seem to be qualified, but whats his personality like?

Lancane
01-07-2011, 08:59 PM
Cant say anyone is a capable HC unless we see them in an interview. If they have a dull personality like Wade Phillips, then they are probably not equipped with a leaders personality. Dennison would seem to be qualified, but whats his personality like?

He's energetic at times, but more like like Studesville in demeanor, calm, cool and collected. He can be a tough ass now and then, but overall a very likeable gentleman and a solid coach to boot.

BeefStew25
01-07-2011, 09:15 PM
I like him the best out of anyone so far.

bcbronc
01-07-2011, 10:00 PM
So Dennison takes an undrafted RB and turns him into the NFL's leading rusher while McDaniels takes 1st round draft pick Knowshon Moreno and creates the NFL's WORST rushing attack! :coffee:

I for one would LOVE to see the ZBS come back. That was another of McDaniels' WORST mistakes in scrapping it! In 2008, Shanny's last year not only did Denver have the #2 offense in football, but Cutler was only sacked 11 times all year!

If we could go back to it, we could really get things moving on the ground again! And Dennison knows that system inside and out. He could easily bring it back.

Yup, leading rusher, best WR in the game, solid but unspectacular QB...and no playoffs. Bring back Broncos football!
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

nevcraw
01-07-2011, 10:08 PM
what makes anyone think he won't also bring back the shanahan/kubiak style of defense?

1. Because he smart enough to know better (masters in Civil enginering)
2. Elway would helicopter his ass
3. Bob Slowick already has a job ruining the Deadskins D.

Nick
01-07-2011, 10:15 PM
I like him the best out of anyone so far.

Me to, wich is pethetic.

Cugel
01-08-2011, 12:18 AM

It's perfectly possible for an Offensive HC to bring in a good Defensive Coordinator to handle the defense. After all, McDaniels brought in Mike Nolan who (you will remember) did a pretty good job with the defense (despite having almost NO talent to work with).

Unfortunately, of course, McDaniels GINORMOUS EGO wouldn't allow anybody else to run ANYTHING on "HIS" team -- so he got rid of Nolan and the rest is history! :coffee:

Shanahan was a notorious control freak who suffered from the same problem. He had to run EVERYTHING so he couldn't really get and keep top flight DCs.

But, there's no reason to think that Dennison suffers from that same "I've got to control every aspect of my team" persona.

He certainly won't get to suffer from Shanahan and McDaniels' OTHER big problem -- that of being in control of drafting and FA.

I continue to believe that the future of the Broncos will depend a LOT MORE on whether Xanders is really a first rate GM or not, than whether the new coach is brilliant.

What WORRIES me the most is this "consensus" thinking that Elway and Bowlen's holdover CRONIES -- Xanders and especially Joe Ellis want to create.

A CAMEL is just a HORSE designed by a committee. :coffee:

Cugel
01-08-2011, 12:25 AM
Yup, leading rusher, best WR in the game, solid but unspectacular QB...and no playoffs. Bring back Broncos football!

Don't be idiotic! The Broncos failed to make the playoffs between 2005 & 2008 NOT because of any OFFENSIVE failing -- but because they had the #28th ranked DEFENSE. A defense that couldn't rush the passer -- and consequently couldn't stop the pass despite having Champ Bailey.

And they had crappy defense because:

1. They had crappy Defensive "talent" because Shanahan ran the draft and FA.

2. Mike Shanahan's Control-Mania made it impossible for him to hire a really GOOD DC and let HIM run the defense while Shanahan ran the team and the offense.

Shanny (like McIdiot) always had to have the last word on everything.

That had NOTHING WHATEVER to do with the offense. Cutler and the offense struggled MIGHTILY to keep the team in games after the defense surrendered one long TD drive after another. They were ALWAYS playing catchup.

dogfish
01-08-2011, 01:11 AM
so kubiak is shanahan lite, and dennison is kubiak lite, but it's going to be different this time, i promise!!

alright, i'm just ****ing with you. . . the reasons presented as to why it will be different sound good enough on paper, but. . . they're just guesses-- which is of course all they could be, and exactly what my opinions and conjectures are at this moment also. . .

couldn't be any other way, beccause dennison's never been in position to have his hands on anything to an extent where we could get some feel for what he can or even might do. . .

therein lies my problem, mostly. . . i'm aware of how bright the guy is, which is great-- but everybody talks about how bright mcdaniels is, too. . . i rarely hear vince lombardi compared to a rocket scientist, though everyone agrees he was a brilliant football coach. . . still, smart is good. . . but we've never seen dennison do anything beyond show that he can run alex gibbs' system effectively-- which is cool as far as it goes, but it doesn't really tell me all that much about what dennison can do. . .

certainly not compared to someone like ron rivera, john fox, or even russ grimm to some extent. . . why hope dennison will be different from the guys that taught him to coach, when we can get a hardnosed DC, a former HC whose defenses are available for review, or a guy from the pittsburgh coaching tree who would probably bring lebeau lieutenant kevin butler over as DC? is it even worth the chance?

bah. . . i would welcome the return of dennison in an assistant HC/offense role with someone like rivera, fewell or fox as head coach, but otherwise i will happily pass. . . or at least would, if bowlen gave me the option. . .

and here's my other thing-- even if we go ahead and presume that dennison not only wants to fix the defense (who wouldn't??) but will be amenable to having the bulk of the franchise's available resources devoted to that side of the ball for the next two to four years, do we have any particular reason to believe that he's capable?

i kinda doubt kubes or even shanahan has ever thought to himself, "well, i think i'll just let the defense completely suck balls again this year, even though i'll pretend to care". . . does dennison have connections to some good DC candidates other than nolan? guys that are available? is this going to be a situation that top coaching candidates want to come to?

if rick has to hire one of the DCs that he worked with previously in denver or houston-- or some lowly-regraded junior assistant who can't get a look anywhere else-- all the good intentions in the world could come to no avail. . .

it's not like they haven't invested in the D down in houston. . . number one overall pick on mario, top picks on demeco ryans, connor barwin, amobi okoye, brian cushing, kareem jackson. . . just off the top of my head. . . some of those guys are pretty damn good, too, but their defense continues to be awful. . . injuries haven't helped, but even so that unit should be better than it is. . .

the only time dennison has ever SEEN good defense has been when the opposing team plays it again his squad. . . and that's not his fault, but it is the truth. . . if he's not bringing a top DC with him (and don't just tell me "i'm sure they can get somebody good :heh: ), then i have no idea if he can build a good D on his own. . . being smart doesn't necessarily convey any intuitive understanding of that sort of process. . .

JMO. . .

TXBRONC
01-08-2011, 02:20 PM
Please don't let this happen.

I hated him as the ST coach, he came in and coached Alex Gibbs already solid line. What has he done to deserve HC consideration?

Come on team, think change and refuse to go back to the past. I will be Claymore/McD pissed if they hire Dennison.

Not in 2008 Mike, Weigmann, Clady, Harris and Kuper all came after Gibbs was long gone.

Dzone
01-08-2011, 04:11 PM
well, did anyone see peter king on NBC just now? said that John Elway does not think Tebow is a good quarterback and that if Mcdaniels goes to SF, then expect denver to trade Tim Tebow to san francisco...just heard it now. That better not happen...

TXBRONC
01-08-2011, 04:14 PM
well, did anyone see peter king on NBC just now? said that John Elway does not think Tebow is a good quarterback and that if Mcdaniels goes to SF, then expect denver to trade Tim Tebow to san francisco...just heard it now. That better not happen...

I think King is full of it on this one. If one of local guys or Schefter come out and say something similar or Rick Reilly then I'll give a lot more weight to what King has to say.

dogfish
01-08-2011, 04:19 PM

whaaaat?

i think ol' pete's back to drinking rubbing alcohol. . . gotta chill, dude, shit's not good for you. . .