PDA

View Full Version : Should we trade selvin young???

underrated29
09-12-2008, 12:02 PM
Ok, we are getting into a little hypothetical here, but play along just for fun. ITs way to early to know how we really stand as a team. It too early to tell what holes we need to plug for next year. But lets assume that after this san diego game young and hall are both rushing for avg. of 100 yards a game.

We know that torain is coming back in week 6. He might need a few games to get back into the swing of things but i look at our situation as this.

With torain back, our offense really does not need any help (if torain lives up to hype, no IRs, and maybe a Center-we could use one.) So that means all our draft efforts can be spent on the defensive side where we do need lots of help.

We really need a badass MLB. We really need another solid DT. We really need a good Saftey. And unless moss comes around (Crosses fingers) we need another good DE.

Obviously, we only have a 1,2,3,4- that can help us. However, to get a solid MLB we will need to trade up. So we lose a pick or two.

So if young avg. 100 + a game would you be willing to part with him for a pick. i dont know what he would bring. Probably not a 3rd, but maybe a 4th and 6th or something.

our RB, lineup next year would then look like- torain,hall,alridge,pittman? and our always new guy drafted/ufda. So we are still sitting pretty good, and i feel that he probably wont last another year or two here anyways if torain is as good as advertised.

So if we want any hope of getting a game changing MLB, and a top notch S, DT,DE we need picks. Do you trade selvin young for picks or not?

MOtorboat
09-12-2008, 12:05 PM
He'll be seen as a system back, and we won't get much, if anything in return. At least not anywhere near an impact defensive player, or a pick to get an impact defensive player.

Let's also keep in mind that he was 36 yards against Oakland...that's not going to help him get anywhere near averaging 100+

Your just not going to get anything for him.

Superchop 7
09-12-2008, 12:07 PM
Maybe next year.

SR
09-12-2008, 12:09 PM
Selvin Young isn't as good as he thinks he is. He isn't even the best back on our team IMO. We wouldn't get jack for him if we tried to trade him.

MOtorboat
09-12-2008, 12:10 PM
Seventh round pick...conditional sixth...MAYBE...

Trading players for picks is really hard, as teams are seeing how important it is to have good drafts.

underrated29
09-12-2008, 12:10 PM
Thats kinda what i am worried about. i see his situation as one similiar to foxworths.

he is good here for us, but for trade value, its not much and chances are he wont be around here next year or the year after.

Timmy!
09-12-2008, 12:14 PM
No way. We wouldn't get jack, and let's give the guy a chance. He's a system back for sure, but I think he'll break 1000 yards this year, if Hall doesn't take his starting job. Hall/Young isn't terrible. Add a (hopefully) healthy Torain to the mix later and we'll see what happens. If Torain is the real deal Hall or Young is expendable, but it's not like either of them are costing us much. Depth is a good thing.

Requiem / The Dagda
09-12-2008, 12:14 PM
If he reaches that 2,000 yard goal, sure let's trade him. Maybe we can get Montrae back. LMAO.

LRtagger
09-12-2008, 12:20 PM
Maybe we should find out what Torrain can do before we even think about trying to trade anybody in our backfield.

If Torrain is the beast he is supposed to be, then we will drop Pittman before we drop Young unless a team made an offer we couldnt pass up and I don't see that happening anytime soon. Who knows if Torrain is even as good as he is hyped to be. If not I think we would be foolish to not spend at least a 3rd on a back in 2009 or 2010.

I think we would be better off keeping Young then trading him for a 6th or 7th and then turning around and using that same pick to bring in another back (which is what we would have to do). With the youth we have now in the backfield I hope we dont have to draft any backs next year and we can just pick up some UDFA for camp competition. That is assuming Torrain works out for us and all three guys can stay healthy while sharing carries.

Don't forget Alridge may be a legitimate 3rd down back for us next year too.

NameUsedBefore
09-12-2008, 12:22 PM
Uh, and when we do, what do we do when Andre Hall inevitably gets injured trying to be the sole running-back?

Northman
09-12-2008, 12:37 PM
Trade him for what? Some of you people do realize that Selvin has no real trade value right? Young is not an elite back so what are we trading for? More late round draft picks? Please. If you want a real trade then trade Brandon Marshall. He has 1st and 2nd round trade value and be worth a lot more then young. Not too mention that Brandon has character issues that may or may not arise again. But all this talk about trading guys who are worth pennies is just fruitless when it comes to the reality of the situation.

BroncoJoe
09-12-2008, 01:05 PM
With the exception of Portis, none of our backs have done anything on other teams after experiencing sucess here. They would absolutely be viewed as a system back and we'd get nothing worthwhile in return.

frauschieze
09-12-2008, 01:09 PM
Maybe we can get a half a sammich, two rubber bands and a spitball.

BeefStew25
09-12-2008, 01:11 PM
Selvin is thisclose to being Mike Bell.

BigDaddyBronco
09-12-2008, 01:20 PM
Seventh round pick...conditional sixth...MAYBE...

Trading players for picks is really hard, as teams are seeing how important it is to have good drafts.
We wouldn't get jack squat. Hell we got a 7th for Foxworth.

underrated29
09-12-2008, 01:22 PM
I think some of you are missing the point of this thread. Its not to trade young just to trade him, or becuase i am down on him.

The point of this thread is that our offense is pretty much set. We dont really need to draft or add any players there, especially if torian is all we hope he will be. If torain does well, then we have to many rbs. Torain,hall,young,pittman, alridge.

Someone would be the odd man out.

WITH THAT SAID- we do have lots of holes on defense! We need an ELITE MLB. The only way to do that is trade up. Alas, if we trade up then we waste picks that we need to fill other holes. So trading away players for picks (yes, even 7th rounders, maybe.) can help us with our drafting needs.

As i said we need a mlb,dt,s,de. Now we can always try to get back into first like carolina did this year and get a great MLB, S- but what about other needs. Should we trade away picks and players to get what we desperately need. Like trading away young, or do we just stick with what we have and hope for the best?

i am not saying we should trade him, or that we should not trade him. I am throwing out a scenario we will likely be faced with and want to see what majority think would be our best way to go.

frauschieze
09-12-2008, 01:26 PM
I think all anyone is trying to say here, is that trade talk is irrelevant if no one will offer anything of value in return. Young just isn't worth much (if anything) to any other team in the league.

Northman
09-12-2008, 01:27 PM
Torain has proved nothing. To trade away a player who has already shown that he can play in the NFL for someone who has done absolutely nothing to this point is just not very smart. Furthermore, i think Denver will take a RB pretty high next year. So the days of the current roster are pretty much numbered at this point.

underrated29
09-12-2008, 01:52 PM
Torain has proved nothing. To trade away a player who has already shown that he can play in the NFL for someone who has done absolutely nothing to this point is just not very smart. Furthermore, i think Denver will take a RB pretty high next year. So the days of the current roster are pretty much numbered at this point.

i wasnt saying try and trade selvin after this game. I meant after this season after we have seen what torain has to offer. if he sucks then thats pretty much moot on everything else as we cannot afford to trade him even if someone wanted him.

I will say though that i dont believe we will be taking a rb in next years draft unless someone amazing falls to us. If we do take one i think it would be another 5th rd or later. but thats just me.

Northman
09-12-2008, 02:11 PM
i wasnt saying try and trade selvin after this game. I meant after this season after we have seen what torain has to offer. if he sucks then thats pretty much moot on everything else as we cannot afford to trade him even if someone wanted him.

I will say though that i dont believe we will be taking a rb in next years draft unless someone amazing falls to us. If we do take one i think it would be another 5th rd or later. but thats just me.

Well, even with all that we dont even know if Ryan will even see the field this year. Granted, you said this was hypothetical but i just dont see Torain taking over the #1 spot unless Selvin and co. get hurt. As for next year, i think we will make a move in the higher rounds for a quality back. The guys we have are serviceable for the time being but at some point we have to get a legitimate go to guy (now im starting to sound like Lex, lol). So i do forsee us taking a RB a little earlier than normal as well as more defensive help. We will probably hold on to Torain for at least another year after this just to see what he can do but i seriously doubt we see a lot from him this year to really make a determination of how good he is or isnt.

Slick
09-12-2008, 04:31 PM
I find it almost comical that Selvin Young and Andre Hall, our #1 and #2 backs in whatever order, are (the last time I saw salaries) the lowest two paid guys on the team.

omac
09-12-2008, 05:31 PM
First of all, no way 2 guys can each average 100 yards a game rushing ... well, maybe the Raiders can approach that, since they did plan to rush the ball 600 times, so that's about close to 20 carries each for Fargas and McFadden, but no way Denver comes close to that.

Selvin's lost some explosiveness; someone posted that maybe the extra weight is slowing him down, so that's not good. Maybe he can slim down a bit and gain that speed again. He can be more of a pass catching back, which would be more effective, given the current state of our zone blocking.

Let's wait for his value to go up before trading him. I wouldn't want to trade him for a 7th; for what he contributes, that's too little value, but right now, he has very little trade value.

But I won't give up on him yet; he might yet emerge as an excellent back. Then if our backfield is too crowded, then we can get good value for him. But I like to keep a bunch of ready RBs in case of injuries.