PDA

View Full Version : Analysis: Bowlen's front-office decisions are predictable

Denver Native (Carol)
01-06-2011, 07:41 PM
Those in the NFL who know Pat Bowlen — those in the league who have done business with Bowlen, sat next to him in meetings, met with him over dinner or walked with him through countless well-appointed hotel lobbies at countless league gatherings — are not surprised things unfolded as they did Wednesday.

They're not surprised Bowlen reached back to the team's past to try to repair what's wrong with his franchise, not surprised he kept most of the people on the personnel side of the operation intact.

No, they aren't surprised at all.

While Bowlen made the final call in January 2009, Ellis was the point man in the hiring of Josh McDaniels and did the second, nine-hour interview — alone — with McDaniels in Providence, R.I., that closed the deal.

And Ellis also is the one Bowlen sent out front when McDaniels was fired, and Ellis was the one taking the public heat — for McDaniels, ironically — when the punishment for the McSpygate scandal was announced by the NFL.

Ellis also has been the target of plenty of shots in the public discourse about the team's struggles. He has taken the mistake the team made on McDaniels hard, his friends and associates have said.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17020107?source=rss

robert ethan
01-06-2011, 07:49 PM
Wow, an NFL team has a 3-9 season under a young head coach and it's Armaggedon. Good thing that the owners who hired Stan Spagnola (1-15 last year) and Raheem Morris (3-13) weren't quite so trigger happy.

spikerman
01-06-2011, 07:53 PM
Wow, an NFL team has a 3-9 season under a young head coach and it's Armaggedon. Good thing that the owners who hired Stan Spagnola (1-15 last year) and Raheem Morris (3-13) weren't quite so trigger happy.

The difference is that those teams were/are getting better. Denver was not.

turftoad
01-06-2011, 07:55 PM

Those two showed huge improvment in thier second year, the McFired led Broncos did not.
Thats why he was McFired.

Superchop 7
01-06-2011, 08:13 PM
It was Karma.

Tned
01-06-2011, 08:19 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17020107?source=rss

I'll call your anti-Ellis highlighting and raise you a "Bowlen screwed the pooch" quote from the same article:

Bowlen trusted his decision on McDaniels, trusted his own ability to hit it right on a young, offensive coach once again, just as he did with a young Mike Shanahan. He trusted it enough to give McDaniels total control, when just weeks before, he had said he wouldn't give a head coach power like that again.

And the decision didn't just implode, it shattered the Broncos' reputation, their way of doing business, and the team is now at a level Bowlen is unfamiliar with in his tenure as owner. Those who know him say that, as much as anything else, influenced his recent decisions.

Read more: Analysis: Bowlen's front-office decisions are predictable - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17020107?source=rss#ixzz1AJADCqPj

robert ethan
01-06-2011, 08:29 PM
The only person who emerges from all of this with a shred of dignity is Josh McDaniels.

Superchop 7
01-06-2011, 08:37 PM
The hot name is usually just a name.

You need to look at co-ordinators to determine success.

You need to look at scouting.

Solid. Proven people in those areas determine success.

The head coach is supposed to be the glue that unites.

In our case, the coach became the "divisive" element.

Scouting department sucked.

Losing Nolan was huge.

Losing talent was huge.

These were a direct result of the head coach.

Lesson learned.

T.K.O.
01-06-2011, 08:38 PM
The only person who emerges from all of this with a shred of dignity is Josh McDaniels.

wow....just........WOW !
i would say the guy that had the guts to try and admit he was wrong and do what he could to "right the ship" should get a little credit:confused:
mcD may well be a good coach soon enough ,but he was in over his head and the broncos record showed it.:salute:

Lancane
01-06-2011, 08:40 PM

Maybe in your eyes...

spikerman
01-06-2011, 08:43 PM

When you're in a hole the first rule is to stop digging. When the Broncos fired McDaniels they finally threw away the shovel.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-06-2011, 09:11 PM
I'll call your anti-Ellis highlighting and raise you a "Bowlen screwed the pooch" quote from the same article:

My highlighting of Ellis was not meant as anti-Ellis - it just goes along- IMO- with the following thread which I started.

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213394

"Ellis gives gratitude for shift in burden"

There is nothing wrong with a person basically admitting they were put in a situation that they should not have been in. In fact, I respect anyone who admits that.

jhildebrand
01-06-2011, 09:59 PM
The difference is that those teams were/are getting better. Denver was not.

Those two showed huge improvment in thier second year, the McFired led Broncos did not.
Thats why he was McFired.

Not to mention following the 08 season those teams were considered FAR WORSE off than Denver. By all accounts Denver was a few pieces away and the afforementioned teams were years away from simple respectability.

Shows the complete wrecking ball that McDaniels was. He set this team back 5 years-easily! Yet...he is the only one who has a shred of dignity :lol:

scott.475
01-06-2011, 11:56 PM

Disconnect from reality is now complete :dizzy:

Cugel
01-07-2011, 07:45 AM

Well, clearly YOU are a charter member of the "Beat me again! I like it!" crew! :coffee:

silkamilkamonico
01-07-2011, 01:07 PM
Josh Mcdaniels has a black eye from this.

Pat Bowlen has 2 black eyes from this. One left froom the Mcdaniels hiring, and the other from the rest of the NFL who continue to wonder why he isn't learning from his lessons.

Ellis, Xanders, anyone else = irrelevant.