PDA

View Full Version : Ellis gives gratitude for shift in burden

Denver Native (Carol)
01-06-2011, 03:28 PM
The last time the Broncos were hunting for a new head coach, Joe Ellis was front and center in the search that resulted in the hiring of Josh McDaniels.

That was two years ago. Today, the Broncos are again looking for a head coach, and Ellis said it was time to bring in the reinforcements in the form of John Elway.

"John said something at the press conference (Wednesday) that 'I know what I don't know.' Well, same for me," Ellis said. "I knew I didn't have, I couldn't provide for Pat (Bowlen) what John can provide in those areas of football, and I'm comfortable knowing that . . . and this a great day that he's been hired.

"The guys down at the end of the hall know they're answering to somebody that has the respect and the wherewithal to do his job the right way."

And with the addition of Elway to oversee the team's football operations, Bowlen also made another front-office move, promoting Ellis to team president in charge of overseeing the team's business and football operations. Elway will be in charge of the team's football business on a daily basis.

It means Ellis will be the team's go-to executive on all matters, including what can be spent on players.

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17021316

topscribe
01-06-2011, 03:31 PM
Thank you, Carol. I just discovered a reason to develop some respect for Ellis . . .

-----

Denver Native (Carol)
01-06-2011, 03:42 PM
Thank you, Carol. I just discovered a reason to develop some respect for Ellis . . .

-----

I agree - IMO, Ellis admitted he was "out of his league" on many things. Sounds like he did not demand doing what he was doing, making football decisions, etc., but, rather, it was delegated to him to do.

Lancane
01-06-2011, 03:48 PM

-----

Finally some honesty somewhere...we've been waiting for it! ;)

Denver Native (Carol)
01-06-2011, 03:51 PM
Even if it takes a few years to get the Broncos back on the right track, I definitely feel what they did yesterday is a MAJOR step forward.

pnbronco
01-06-2011, 03:55 PM
I like this. John said yesterday that things would be more transparent and for me this is a first step in that direction. Thanks Carol for the article.

It's nice to still feel happy 24 hrs later......:D

dogfish
01-06-2011, 03:57 PM
in other words-- "thanks for letting me still have a job, guys". . .

Tned
01-06-2011, 04:13 PM
Finally some honesty somewhere...we've been waiting for it! ;)

And clarification of what "President" means in Broncos Country.

Tned
01-06-2011, 04:14 PM

Yea, I didn't see that at all. I guess when you start from the perspective that EVERYTHING that went wrong in the last few years was Ellis' fault, I suppose I could see where you could read that much in between the lines.

Buff
01-06-2011, 04:21 PM

Bingo, not quite sure what value he is bringing to the table at this point.

dogfish
01-06-2011, 04:23 PM

nobody else mixes bowlen's martinis quite as dry as ellis. . .

BroncoWave
01-06-2011, 04:23 PM
I don't see how anyone could still be angry about us keeping Ellis since it's now apparent that he will have zero say in the football decisions. Elway is gonna let Xanders/new coach make the picks and overrule them if it's something that looks glaringly stupid (like trading away pro bowl players for cents on the dollar). I like the setup myself. If McDaniels had had this structure I think he would have had alot more success here.

Buff
01-06-2011, 04:25 PM
nobody else mixes bowlen's martinis quite as dry as ellis. . .

Yep, Joe Ellis is basically Smithers.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-06-2011, 04:58 PM
IMO - Ellis will keep close tabs on $$$$ - before a player is offered a contract, I would imagine it will be Ellis to say - OK, or no, let's try to get that player for XXX amount of money, as we need to keep in mind that (insert players names), are still not signed, and we need to allot money for them also. I really can not see John, Xanders, or a HC involved in the money part of it, only unless they feel that Ellis is too low in what he wants to offer for a free agent, a player like Champ, etc. I believe that Ellis is thankful that he is no longer the person to pick the HC, or for that matter, responsible for the "football" side of the Broncos.

Northman
01-06-2011, 05:01 PM
I still dont care for Xanders or Ellis but at the end of the day John makes the call if he feels its in the best interest of the Denver Broncos and thats all that matters to me at this point.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-06-2011, 05:06 PM
I still dont care for Xanders or Ellis but at the end of the day John makes the call if he feels its in the best interest of the Denver Broncos and thats all that matters to me at this point.

Yesterday in John's press conference he stated that he had talked to multiple people in other organizations in regards to Xanders. That tells me that John did his homework, and based on what he was told, he retained Xanders as GM.

As far as Ellis, based on this article, IMO, he definitely knows his limitations, and was not comfortable with the "football" responsibilities he had the past two years, and is thankful John will be taking those responsibilities over.

jhildebrand
01-06-2011, 05:06 PM
I listened to the entire press conference and lots of interviews with Radio that followed.

I have to say I am ready and willing to let the past go and start fresh-ellis and Xanders included.

It is a new day in Bronco Country. It should be a new day for the fanbase as well. It has been fractured too long.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-06-2011, 05:12 PM
I listened to the entire press conference and lots of interviews with Radio that followed.

I have to say I am ready and willing to let the past go and start fresh-ellis and Xanders included.

It is a new day in Bronco Country. It should be a new day for the fanbase as well. It has been fractured too long.

Great post :salute:

Tned
01-06-2011, 05:23 PM
IMO - Ellis will keep close tabs on $$$$ - before a player is offered a contract, I would imagine it will be Ellis to say - OK, or no, let's try to get that player for XXX amount of money, as we need to keep in mind that (insert players names), are still not signed, and we need to allot money for them also. I really can not see John, Xanders, or a HC involved in the money part of it, only unless they feel that Ellis is too low in what he wants to offer for a free agent, a player like Champ, etc. I believe that Ellis is thankful that he is no longer the person to pick the HC, or for that matter, responsible for the "football" side of the Broncos.

Hard to say, my guess is that Ellis would be more removed from that. Instead, setting a budget that the Broncos can spend $xx million on player salaries this year, and Xanders, along with Elway and the HC, then get to choose how to spend that money.

Dzone
01-06-2011, 05:38 PM
Ellis is Mr. Drysdale and Bowlen is Jed Clampett

Northman
01-06-2011, 05:58 PM
Yesterday in John's press conference he stated that he had talked to multiple people in other organizations in regards to Xanders. That tells me that John did his homework, and based on what he was told, he retained Xanders as GM.

Yea, i saw the same press conference you did. Doesnt mean that Xanders is a great guy or person to have at that level. Again, i dont like him or Ellis but THANKFULLY when it comes to the final decisions it will be made by John and not these two yahoos and that was basically my point.

Superchop 7
01-07-2011, 12:14 AM
You all know my feelings for Ellis "in that situation".

It was a bad way to fly.....

It has been corrected.

Time to move forward.

BroncoStud
01-07-2011, 12:18 AM

There is still the entire business side of the franchise that has to be attended to. Elway is football, there still has to be an operations side. I don't think Bowlen is up to the task.

Tned
01-07-2011, 01:21 AM
There is still the entire business side of the franchise that has to be attended to. Elway is football, there still has to be an operations side. I don't think Bowlen is up to the task.

And, Elway has to report to someone. Someone has to look at the numbers, figure out what they can spend to make sure they don't bankrupt the club. Deal with the league on league matters, possibly participating in league committees as Bowlen has done for years.

There is a lot to running a football club, besides players moves, practice and playing the game.

For lack of a better description, he's continuing to fill the roll that Bowlen no longer wants to do on a day-to-day basis, which includes having the VP of Football report to him.