PDA

View Full Version : Bates calling plays

Hawgdriver
09-12-2008, 01:10 AM
Vic Lombardi says Jeremy Bates, 32, the Broncos quarterbacks coach, is calling the offensive plays and doing a great job for the Denver Broncos.Read More... (http://www.cbs4denver.com/video/?id=...nc.dayport.com) [CBS 4 Denver Broncos Videos] - 9/11/2008 11:24:23 PM

I got confused when everyone was talking about Shanny's offense being back, I thought it was Bates calling the plays. I'm impressed so far. Not that it's not Shanny's offense, but I thought Bates deserved more credit than y'all were giving him.

lex
09-12-2008, 01:13 AM
I got confused when everyone was talking about Shanny's offense being back, I thought it was Bates calling the plays. I'm impressed so far. Not that it's not Shanny's offense, but I thought Bates deserved more credit than y'all were giving him.

FWIW, Vic Lombardi announced that Tyler Polumbus (sp)was a rookie defensive tackle trying to make the team. He is actually an offensive tackle and spent his college career in Boulder. Im not saying Vic is wrong here but I am saying he could be wrong.

Hawgdriver
09-12-2008, 01:59 AM
Ok, thx. I'm not sure how I got it in my head in the first place that Bates was the playcaller--thought I had heard it before this though.

elsid13
09-12-2008, 04:54 AM

The way it works is Bates (passing) and Dennison (running) develop the game plan over the week with a lot of Shanahan input. Game Day Dennison in booth calls down the plays to both Shanahan and Bates. If Shanahan likes the play he let Bates Radioed it to Cutler. Bates is the only one that directly talks to Cutler on the field via the radio. If Shanahan wants something else he tell both the guys. Bates from I understand also suggest plays to both guys if he see something.

Hawgdriver
09-12-2008, 07:11 AM
The way it works is Bates (passing) and Dennison (running) develop the game plan over the week with a lot of Shanahan input. Game Day Dennison in booth calls down the plays to both Shanahan and Bates. If Shanahan likes the play he let Bates Radioed it to Cutler. Bates is the only one that directly talks to Cutler on the field via the radio. If Shanahan wants something else he tell both the guys. Bates from I understand also suggest plays to both guys if he see something.

That makes great sense to me, but if I may ask, how do you know that was the case last game?

gobroncsnv
09-12-2008, 07:14 AM
You could see in our first series how we were setting things up for running multiple plays out of common alignments... The reverses and other trickinations... Designed to really make the defense have to think (pretty hard for Oakland, I know). Doing that stuff eases off the backside pursuit, and opens up the counter moves and the boot/moving pocket. Had a lot of Shanny in it, in my view.

omac
09-12-2008, 07:23 AM
It goes from Dennison, to Shanahan and Bates, to Cutler, then to elsid13. :D

Scarface
09-12-2008, 07:28 AM
It's always been Shanny's offense. Someone else might get to call a pre-approved Shanny play but Shanny is paying close attention and will veto if necessary.

Hawgdriver
09-12-2008, 08:06 AM
Lombardi also mentioned that beyond just calling in the plays, Bates was drafting plays.

DenBronx
09-12-2008, 10:04 AM
it sure did look to me like shanahan was calling plays straight of his play chart and then signaling them in. he was reading that thing off like crazy. im sure he lets bates and dennison have an influence but mike makes the final call.

either way, it's not broke so let's not go fixing it.

56crash
09-12-2008, 10:08 AM
Cutler likes bates that bolds well for him doing more play calling from him .

elsid13
09-12-2008, 06:14 PM
That makes great sense to me, but if I may ask, how do you know that was the case last game?

I can't say that happened last game, I wasn't there. I am just repeat what reported during camp from shanahan interviews, the Denver Post several months ago. Plus that basically how it worked in Denver for last couple of years with Bates replacing Dinger. The only difference is that Shanahan wants Bates talking to Cutler, vs him.

omac
09-12-2008, 06:31 PM
I watched a video, maybe fox or cbs or yahoo, where the sportscaster said it was Bates who called the plays. He didn't give any source, though. He just mentioned he was impressed. He likened it to a young Mike Shanahan. But again, no sources, so he could be talking out of his butt.

elsid13
09-12-2008, 07:16 PM
I watched a video, maybe fox or cbs or yahoo, where the sportscaster said it was Bates who called the plays. He didn't give any source, though. He just mentioned he was impressed. He likened it to a young Mike Shanahan. But again, no sources, so he could be talking out of his butt.

The sportscaster must of seen him calling plays into Cutler, and assumed that he was calling plays.