PDA

View Full Version : Mularkey Interview Canceled/Postponed

Zweems56
01-06-2011, 11:29 AM
Mike Mularkey's interview with the Broncos has been cancelled/postponed

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2010/news/story?id=5995045

Choosing to focus on Atlanta's playoff game next week, Falcons offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey has informed the Denver Broncos he will not interview for their coaching opening on Friday as planned, according to a team source.

Mularkey still will go through with his previously scheduled interview Saturday with the Cleveland Browns, but he is doing that because they called first and he feels a certain sense of obligation, according to the source....

Rough

More at link.

slim
01-06-2011, 11:30 AM
Meh, we can do better anyway.

Ravage!!!
01-06-2011, 11:32 AM
Good for Mularky. They are in a playoff run, and he has a job to do :salute:

BroncoWave
01-06-2011, 11:34 AM
Good for Mularky. They are in a playoff run, and he has a job to do :salute:

There really isn't much he can do on Friday when they still don't know who their opponent will be. And he's not too busy to interview with the Browns on Saturday, a day the Falcons would seemingly need him more so that he could watch the WC game featuring a team the Falcons could play in the next round.

slim
01-06-2011, 11:35 AM
There really isn't much he can do on Friday when they still don't know who their opponent will be. And he's not too busy to interview with the Browns on Saturday, a day the Falcons would seemingly need him more so that he could watch the WC game featuring a team the Falcons could play in the next round.

It is an excuse.

He simply wants no part of the Broncos.

**** him.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-06-2011, 11:39 AM
Mularkey still wants to be a head coach, and would interview with Denver later if it still had its opening after the Falcons' season ended, according to the source. But for now, he wants to keep as much of his focus as possible on the Falcons' upcoming playoff game and doesn't want to have to prepare for coaching interviews on back-to-back days.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2010/news/story?id=5995045&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

BroncoWave
01-06-2011, 11:41 AM
It is an excuse.

He simply wants no part of the Broncos.

**** him.

I agree. Not like he was our top candidate anyway. Hope he has fun in Cleveland.

Ravage!!!
01-06-2011, 11:42 AM

You don't know that. YOu don't know what his schedule is. Not to mention, the team isn't going to "make up plays" for a team. They are going to use the same scheme, the same plays, the same thing they've been doing all year long.

Not to mention, I'm sure they are getting a prelim on whom they play because the options are pretty limited. I'm not exactly a big Mularky guy by ANY means, but this is just a "he just doesn't like us" sounding whine.

BigSarge87
01-06-2011, 11:44 AM
I'm not hitting the panic button because Malarky cancelled, but dang, seriously who is going to coach this freaking team?

Are there any candidates out there that we can say are solid? It seems like almost all the possibilities left are either too expensive, want too much control, or are a complete unproven risk.

I'm almost always an optimist, but I'm starting to get worried we're going to have to settle for someone we don't really want and end up canning them again in two years.

BroncoWave
01-06-2011, 11:46 AM
You don't know that. YOu don't know what his schedule is. Not to mention, the team isn't going to "make up plays" for a team. They are going to use the same scheme, the same plays, the same thing they've been doing all year long.

Well in that case his players should know pretty well what they are doing after 17 weeks then. Doesn't sound to me like he needs to be on the clock 24/7 in that case.

slim
01-06-2011, 11:48 AM
I'm not hitting the panic button because Malarky cancelled, but dang, seriously who is going to coach this freaking team?

Are there any candidates out there that we can say are solid? It seems like almost all the possibilities left are either too expensive, want too much control, or are a complete unproven risk.

I'm almost always an optimist, but I'm starting to get worried we're going to have to settle for someone we don't really want and end up canning them again in two years.

I agree, it doesn't seem to be a very good year to be looking for a coach.

Of course, there are always diamonds in the rough. Coaches that us fans don't know much about, but are good coaches nonetheless. Like Andy Reid and Bill Belichick. Neither of them were considered big name guys when they were hired.

Hopefully someone like Perry Fewell can be our diamond in the rough.

GEM
01-06-2011, 11:51 AM
Good, because after listening to a radio interview with a Buffalo reporter...I don't want the guy anywhere near the Broncos.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-06-2011, 11:53 AM
Hope he let John know BEFORE John boarded the plane to fly there :lol:

BroncoWave
01-06-2011, 11:54 AM
Hope he let John know BEFORE John boarded the plane to fly there :lol:

The interview isn't scheduled until tomorrow, so I doubt Elway would have flown out yet anyway.

Ravage!!!
01-06-2011, 11:55 AM
Well in that case his players should know pretty well what they are doing after 17 weeks then. Doesn't sound to me like he needs to be on the clock 24/7 in that case.

It seems to you. Seemingly.

But you think taking a trip, and making an all day event falls within the "not needing 24/7" on the clock.

How about this. He wants more time to prepare for Denvers' interview, because he wants to make a bigger impression? How about, that because of Tebow, he's going to prepare a different type of "presentation" on how he is going to approach the offense and their needs, then he would with Cleveland?

Seems some of you guys just want to take EVERYTHING as a slight against Denver. Like we are some kind of shunned outcast, or have years of prejudice against us. I just think its a bit silly.

But at the same time, I'm not going to say that its not a possibility that he doesn't want to come to Denver. Maybe he doesn't. But I think its a pretty big jump simply to assume that he has all this time, and could simply come over if he wanted to, as if you know his schedule and how much time the NFL coaches need to prepare for the playoff games.

I'm not hopeful for Mularky anyway.

PAINTERDAVE
01-06-2011, 11:56 AM
In his Presser...
Elway called him "Mark" Malarkey.

Maybe he took offense to that and decided that if Elway does not even know his name...
that he would not have a real shot..
so he thinks the interview is a waste of time..
and to save face and the hassle...
he cancels with this excuse...
so he can focus on what he thinks is his "real" chance with Cleveland.

Just sayin'....

BroncoWave
01-06-2011, 11:57 AM
It seems to you. Seemingly.

But you think taking a trip, and making an all day event falls within the "not needing 24/7" on the clock.

How about this. He wants more time to prepare for Denvers' interview, because he wants to make a bigger impression? How about, that because of Tebow, he's going to prepare a different type of "presentation" on how he is going to approach the offense and their needs, then he would with Cleveland?

Seems some of you guys just want to take EVERYTHING as a slight against Denver. Like we are some kind of shunned outcast, or have years of prejudice against us. I just think its a bit silly.

But at the same time, I'm not going to say that its not a possibility that he doesn't want to come to Denver. Maybe he doesn't. But I think its a pretty big jump simply to assume that he has all this time, and could simply come over if he wanted to, as if you know his schedule and how much time the NFL coaches need to prepare for the playoff games.

I'm not hopeful for Mularky anyway.

Where have I said any of this? :confused:

BigSarge87
01-06-2011, 12:00 PM
I agree, it doesn't seem to be a very good year to be looking for a coach.

Of course, there are always diamonds in the rough. Coaches that us fans don't know much about, but are good coaches nonetheless. Like Andy Reid and Bill Belichick. Neither of them were considered big name guys when they were hired.

Hopefully someone like Perry Fewell can be our diamond in the rough.

Those guys seem to be few and far between, but let's hope.

If I didn't have so much blind faith in the team I would say we're headed down the same path as Detroit, Buffalo and Cleveland have been going down for so long.

Crossing my fingers.

Ravage!!!
01-06-2011, 12:03 PM
Where have I said any of this? :confused:

you do realize that's not something that is actually said, right?

Zweems56
01-06-2011, 12:04 PM
In his Presser...

Maybe he took offense to that and decided that if Elway does not even know his name...

Just sayin'....

Meh. He called him Mike not 5 minutes after that. I think it was more of a slip of the tongue than anything else. I remember hearing that and thinking the same thing, but then when he corrected himself later, it didn't strike me as such anymore. Elway screwed up another name too that I can't think of at the moment.

slim
01-06-2011, 12:08 PM
Meh. He called him Mike not 5 minutes after that. I think it was more of a slip of the tongue than anything else. I remember hearing that and thinking the same thing, but then when he corrected himself later, it didn't strike me as such anymore. Elway screwed up another name too that I can't think of at the moment.

He was stumbling with words quite a bit.

Maybe a bit too excited (and maybe a little nervous).

Buff
01-06-2011, 12:09 PM

Did he ever correct himself? I think he called him "Mark" multiple times...

Personally, I wasn't high on Mularkey anyway, so I'm not sweating it... And I understand Elway had a billion other things on his mind yesterday. But if I were Mularkey and I heard him call me Mark multiple times I'd feel like I was wasting my time.

BroncoWave
01-06-2011, 12:09 PM
you do realize that's not something that is actually said, right?

Where have I even implied it then? Just because it's my opinion that he doesn't want to coach here doesn't mean I have some inferiority complex in thinking the Broncos are disrespected. I just think, based on the report, he doesn't want to coach here; for whatever reason it might be.

Perhaps you should just respond to what I post instead of drawing conclusions that aren't true.

BroncoWave
01-06-2011, 12:11 PM
Did he ever correct himself? I think he called him "Mark" multiple times...

Personally, I wasn't high on Mularkey anyway, so I'm not sweating it... And I understand Elway had a billion other things on his mind yesterday. But if I were Mularkey and I heard him call me Mark multiple times I'd feel like I was wasting my time.

I agree with this, and was thinking the same thing during the presser. He did correct himself once and call him Mike, but then he called him Mark the next 2-3 times he mentioned him.

JaxBroncoGirl
01-06-2011, 12:13 PM
Rough

More at link.

I think he owes us the same courtesy as Cleveland. Why make an appointment for an Interview, then postpone it? You are talking about a Job, you never cancel or postpone the interview that you originally agreed to.

TXBRONC
Meh, we can do better anyway.

Agreed, I'm not really for the idea of him being our next head coach.

Ravage!!!
Where have I even implied it then? Just because it's my opinion that he doesn't want to coach here doesn't mean I have some inferiority complex in thinking the Broncos are disrespected. I just think, based on the report, he doesn't want to coach here; for whatever reason it might be.

Perhaps you should just respond to what I post instead of drawing conclusions that aren't true.

Bailey, everyone 'draws conclusions" from what people post. Thats the point. Not to mention, my post was a statement of generalality, and didn't just include you, nor JUST this topic of discussion.

As I said. Perhaps you are right.

TXBRONC
01-06-2011, 12:15 PM
I think he owes us the same courtesy as Cleveland. Why make an appointment for an Interview, then postpone it? You are talking about a Job, you never cancel or postpone the interview that you originally agreed to.

He's been a head coach with a poor record, so I don't see this a huge loss.

BroncoWave
01-06-2011, 12:19 PM

He led the Bills to their last winning record. Given the talent that team had that's a pretty good achievement to me.

TXBRONC
01-06-2011, 12:22 PM
He led the Bills to their last winning record. Given the talent that team had that's a pretty good achievement to me.

Ok but his overall record as head coach was 14-18.

PAINTERDAVE
01-06-2011, 12:24 PM

Who knows?

IF Malarkey got the sense that he was just another name on a list..
IF for whatever reason he feels slighted or does not believe he has a chance...
he cancels and does not want to waste his time.

Maybe by cancelling with us...
he thinks that signals Cleveland his loyalty and desire to coach for them.
Maybe his AGENT advised him to do it this way?

We are ALL just speculating anyway....
none of us knows.

BroncoWave
01-06-2011, 12:25 PM
Ok but his overall record as head coach was 14-18.

His quarterbacks in Buffalo were JP Losman and Kelly Holcomb. I'm not going to fault him for struggling to win with those guys.

TXBRONC
01-06-2011, 12:30 PM
His quarterbacks in Buffalo were JP Losman and Kelly Holcomb. I'm not going to fault him for struggling to win with those guys.

Ok, but imo 14-18 is still 14-18 and I still don't see it as some big loss.

BroncoWave
01-06-2011, 12:33 PM
Ok, but imo 14-18 is still 14-18 and I still don't see it as some big loss.

Neither do I, but I don't think it's fair to simply rule him out because of one bad season. Name me a coach who has never had one bad season.

broncofaninfla
01-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Mularkey would be a perfect fit for tebow. He tailors his offensives schemes to his players skill sets. I would like him or somebody like him as a head coach. The cat is good

Zweems56
01-06-2011, 12:36 PM
Who knows?

IF Malarkey got the sense that he was just another name on a list..
IF for whatever reason he feels slighted or does not believe he has a chance...
he cancels and does not want to waste his time.

Maybe by cancelling with us...
he thinks that signals Cleveland his loyalty and desire to coach for them.
Maybe his AGENT advised him to do it this way?

We are ALL just speculating anyway....
none of us knows.

Well, my speculation is that if the emboldened section is the case, then I don't want Mularkey anywhere near this football team. Everyone is "just another name on the list" until they interview and distinguish themselves from the rest. That would be a very immature and pompous reason to cancel an interview, and I really hope it isn't the case.

Edit: Also, i find it hilarious that this discussion is about Elway calling him "Mark" Mularkey, and you spelled Mularkey Malarkey. Everything you and I have been talking about is malarky anyway. :D

TXBRONC
01-06-2011, 12:37 PM
Neither do I, but I don't think it's fair to simply rule him out because of one bad season. Name me a coach who has never had one bad season.

Why do I need name one head coach who has never had a losing season? That is irrelevant.

BroncoWave
01-06-2011, 12:40 PM
Why do I need name one head coach who has never had a losing season? That is irrelevant.

If it's irrelevant why do you hold it against Mularkey?

Denver Native (Carol)
01-06-2011, 12:42 PM
# Mularkey did NOT postpone/cancel/whatever with Broncos because Elway called him Mark. But it was funny. less than a minute ago via TweetDeck

# Broncos still have interviews scheduled with Perry Fewell on Sunday + Eric Studesville on Monday. Other candidates to be scheduled as well. 7 minutes ago via TweetDeck

# "Deferred" means that Mularkey would meet with Broncos if job open when Atlanta's season done. MM understands, too, that search won't wait. 16 minutes ago via TweetDeck

# A league source has confirmed that Mike Mularkey has "deferred" his interview with the Broncos. 30 minutes ago via TweetDeck

http://twitter.com/postbroncos

Buff
01-06-2011, 12:43 PM
Well of course Mularkey isn't going to say he postponed the interview because Elway got his name wrong... And I'm sure there were other factors. But it couldn't have helped our chances of courting the guy.

JaxBroncoGirl
01-06-2011, 12:45 PM

I thought so. Now I remember him being a coach with a very poor record. Now I remember his name. Thanks. No worries. Regardless of who the coach is if he postpones an interview, we do not want him.

GEM
01-06-2011, 12:47 PM

He was a yes man to a tyrant GM. He really had no control in Buffalo and was just a puppet to a GM that the press named a tyrant.

At least that is what a well known Buffalo reporter who has been reporting Bills football for years, including the years that Malarkey was there said this morning on the radio. I think he would have a pretty good feel for what was going on there at the time.

dogfish
01-06-2011, 12:47 PM
good. . . the guy just walked away from buffalo when things didn't go his way, i don't want him here. . . if they need to replace him on the interview list, ron rivera and russ grimm won't hurt my feelings. . .

BroncoWave
01-06-2011, 12:48 PM
I thought so. Now I remember him being a coach with a very poor record. Now I remember his name. Thanks. No worries. Regardless of who the coach is if he postpones an interview, we do not want him.

He went 9-7 (the Bills last winning season) and 5-11 in his 2 years there. I wouldn't call that "very poor" given the dysfunction of that organization. He's done pretty well at most of his coordinator stops and did well in Buffalo for a year.

TXBRONC
01-06-2011, 12:48 PM
If it's irrelevant why do you hold it against Mularkey?

Because it's Mularkey that's the candidate not someone else.

Zweems56
01-06-2011, 12:49 PM

Personally, I consider that a pretty silly opinion. Who are we to be judge and jury? The guy is going into the playoffs (we are not) and if his story is true, that he had committed to the interview with Cleveland prior to committing to ours, I see absolutely no reason as to why he should not be allowed to request a postponement. Now, if we find our coach before the Falcons are out of the playoffs, that's just fine, but the Denver Broncos are not the most important thing on this planet to playoff coaches.........

The Superbowl is.

Dirk
01-06-2011, 12:56 PM
Yeah...I respect the fact that he postponed. It means a commitment to his team actually. Kudos to him.

Buff
01-06-2011, 12:57 PM
It's unfortunate for him. He probably made the right move by staying loyal to his current team, but for all intents and purposes he probably just took himself out of the running. Tough business.

Zweems56
01-06-2011, 01:02 PM
It's unfortunate for him. He probably made the right move by staying loyal to his current team, but for all intents and purposes he probably just took himself out of the running. Tough business.

Personally, I don't think he's crying himself to sleep over it. The one goal on every (hopefully) coach and player's mind at the beginning of the season is to win the Super Bowl, and that doesn't change until you're eliminated.

Zweems56
01-06-2011, 01:04 PM
Also this.

I respect the decision that Mike Mularkey has made to not interview with the Broncos at this time.

I think this new level of openness from the org. is pretty freaking awesome for the fans. Never going to get tired of this.

Edit:

I wish Coach Mularkey and the Atlanta Falcons the best of luck in the playoffs.

I was just thinking to myself after reading the first tweet, "you know... would have been nice if he wished them good luck in the playoffs"

Buff
01-06-2011, 01:06 PM
Personally, I don't think he's crying himself to sleep over it. The one goal on every (hopefully) coach and player's mind at the beginning of the season is to win the Super Bowl, and that doesn't change until you're eliminated.

Yeah, but let's not kid ourselves, a head coaching job constitutes a significant pay raise and promotion. My guess is that he would like to interview for both jobs but felt like committing that much time out of his schedule wouldn't be fair to his current team.

JaxBroncoGirl
01-06-2011, 01:07 PM
Personally, I consider that a pretty silly opinion. Who are we to be judge and jury? The guy is going into the playoffs (we are not) and if his story is true, that he had committed to the interview with Cleveland prior to committing to ours, I see absolutely no reason as to why he should not be allowed to request a postponement. Now, if we find our coach before the Falcons are out of the playoffs, that's just fine, but the Denver Broncos are not the most important thing on this planet to playoff coaches.........

The Superbowl is.

I understand what you are saying, if the story is true, that he canceled the interview I still have a problem with that. If you were to set up a time to interview a manager and the manager agreed to a specific time then turned around and postponed the interview with your company while saying he is going to interview with another company how would you feel as an owner?

Zweems56
01-06-2011, 01:07 PM
Yeah, but let's not kid ourselves, a head coaching job constitutes a significant pay raise and promotion. My guess is that he would like to interview for both jobs but felt like committing that much time out of his schedule wouldn't be fair to his current team.

Agreed. Personally I thought from the beginning that he probably shouldn't have accepted either offer for interviews until the playoffs were over, but that's just my opinion.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-06-2011, 01:08 PM
johnelway

1. I wish Coach Mularkey and the Atlanta Falcons the best of luck in the playoffs. less than 10 seconds ago via web

2. I respect the decision that Mike Mularkey has made to not interview with the Broncos at this time.

http://twitter.com/johnelway

Zweems56
01-06-2011, 01:12 PM
I understand what you are saying, if the story is true, that he canceled the interview I still have a problem with that. If you were to set up a time to interview a manager and the manager agreed to a specific time then turned around and postponed the interview with your company while saying he is going to interview with another company how would you feel as an owner?

If being a fan of the NFL has taught me anything, it's that the NFL is absolutely NOTHING like the real world. Think of it this way.... could you, as an employee of wherever, interview for another job while still employed and have your current employer be cool about it? No. But it's okay in the NFL. The coach has another, MORE IMPORTANT goal in front of him right now. The championship. Everyone should be understanding of that, and I bet that, as he has stated, the case is that he thought better of the interviews when the playoffs are at stake, and is only fulfilling his obligation to the first person he committed to.

TXBRONC
01-06-2011, 01:13 PM
Also this.

I think this new level of openness from the org. is pretty freaking awesome for the fans. Never going to get tired of this.

Edit:

I was just thinking to myself after reading the first tweet, "you know... would have been nice if he wished them good luck in the playoffs"

johnelway

1. I wish Coach Mularkey and the Atlanta Falcons the best of luck in the playoffs. less than 10 seconds ago via web

2. I respect the decision that Mike Mularkey has made to not interview with the Broncos at this time.

http://twitter.com/johnelway

I wouldn't expect Elway to say anything disparaging.

Ravage!!!
01-06-2011, 01:13 PM

Not to mention his stock only goes up, the better they do in the playoffs.

Wasn't it just a few years ago that NFL teams were not allowed to interview coaches that were in the playoffs?? Then they changed the rule because those coaches were being passed over because they were unavailable. Now we are blaming a guy for being dedicated to the team he's coaching in the PLAYOFFS. Amazing. I actually would rather consider a guy that has that kind of dedication to the team he's coaching rather than one that isn't keeping his eye on the primary goal of his team.

Northman
01-06-2011, 01:15 PM
I dont care anyway, he's not that interesting to me.

Buff
01-06-2011, 01:17 PM
Not to mention his stock only goes up, the better they do in the playoffs.

Wasn't it just a few years ago that NFL teams were not allowed to interview coaches that were in the playoffs?? Then they changed the rule because those coaches were being passed over because they were unavailable. Now we are blaming a guy for being dedicated to the team he's coaching in the PLAYOFFS. Amazing. I actually would rather consider a guy that has that kind of dedication to the team he's coaching rather than one that isn't keeping his eye on the primary goal of his team.

It's more a matter of timing than it is any character defect. Sure, you respect the guy for doing it, but if you decide to wait on him then you're basically putting all your eggs in his basket as coaching candidates continue to get hired by other teams.

Cugel
01-06-2011, 01:18 PM
Those guys seem to be few and far between, but let's hope.

If I didn't have so much blind faith in the team I would say we're headed down the same path as Detroit, Buffalo and Cleveland have been going down for so long.

Crossing my fingers.

To be honest, whether Denver gets out of the BLACK HOLE depends MORE on whether Brian Xanders can draft his way out of a wet paper-bag, than it does on the next HC!

The reason the Broncos utterly SUCKED in 2011 was that McDaniels ran all the talent we had out of town and brought in worthless players like Maroney and Ayers. He's probably a mediocre head coach, but he's absolutely ROCK BOTTOM as a GM!

The greatest coach of all time couldn't win with this roster! So, turning things around is going to depend on getting GREAT draft picks and GOOD SOLID acquisitions in FA over the next 2 years.

TXBRONC
01-06-2011, 01:19 PM
I dont care anyway, he's not that interesting to me.

If you did find him interesting don't you think wife would be upset? :D

PAINTERDAVE
01-06-2011, 01:27 PM
To be honest, whether Denver gets out of the BLACK HOLE depends MORE on whether Brian Xanders can draft his way out of a wet paper-bag, than it does on the next HC!

The reason the Broncos utterly SUCKED in 2011 was that McDaniels ran all the talent we had out of town and brought in worthless players like Maroney and Ayers. He's probably a mediocre head coach, but he's absolutely ROCK BOTTOM as a GM!

The greatest coach of all time couldn't win with this roster! So, turning things around is going to depend on getting GREAT draft picks and GOOD SOLID acquisitions in FA over the next 2 years.

And who they pick as HC will have major input...
about players and the system design, etc.
It is a HUGE decision they need to make here.

chazoe60
01-06-2011, 01:37 PM
I have a gut feeling it'll be Fewell or Harbaugh. Maybe Jim and John have a better relationship than people know and Harbaugh is the guy all along.

Fewell I think could sway them with a good interview and if Miami does give Harbaugh an offer he can't refuse then John goes with Fewell.

But really at this point, who the Hell knows.

Buff
01-06-2011, 01:42 PM
I have a gut feeling it'll be Fewell or Harbaugh. Maybe Jim and John have a better relationship than people know and Harbaugh is the guy all along.

Fewell I think could sway them with a good interview and if Miami does give Harbaugh an offer he can't refuse then John goes with Fewell.

But really at this point, who the Hell knows.

There is talk today that Miami is ready to make Harbaugh the highest paid coach in the league. And I think San Fran would be in line before us because he could stay home in California and they are in the NFC so he wouldn't have to play his brother as often...

Either way, I think Harbaugh is out of the picture... But you never know.

BroncoWave
01-06-2011, 01:43 PM
Also this.

Edit:

Agreed. That is awesome to see Elway being this open about things.

G_Money
01-06-2011, 01:47 PM
Fewell isn't that great a coordinator IMO. He's all right, but not special. Or at least I've never seen the specialness.

And I'm not a Mularkey fan.

Regardless, what I want in our next head coach is not the greatest whiz-bang coordinator ever. I want a guy who KNOWS whiz-bang coordinators but can lead men. Josh McDaniels had as much football knowledge as anyone - it was his personality and tyrant-hand that did us wrong.

I'm okay with Fewell as head coach. I'd like to see who he'd bring in as coaches. Studesville might stay in that case, seeing as they were coaches together in Buffalo.

But the head coach is only the first domino for me, not the last. If Gruden were to come here, my first question would be "who is the DC?" because as Kubiak has proven in Houston you can only go so far with a worthless coordinator.

I think Kubes will do well next year with Wade as his DC. I would have liked that tandem here, but you can't always get what you want.

Hopefully we get what we need in our next head coach.

~G

Zweems56
01-06-2011, 01:50 PM
Fewell isn't that great a coordinator IMO. He's all right, but not special. Or at least I've never seen the specialness.

Regardless, what I want in our next head coach is not the greatest whiz-bang coordinator ever. I want a guy who KNOWS whiz-bang coordinators but can lead men. Josh McDaniels had as much football knowledge as anyone - it was his personality and tyrant-hand that did us wrong.

I'm okay with Fewell as head coach. I'd like to see who he'd bring in as coaches. Studesville might stay in that case, seeing as they were coaches together in Buffalo.

But the head coach is only the first domino for me, not the last. If Gruden were to come here, my first question would be "who is the DC?" because as Kubiak has proven in Houston you can only go so far with a worthless coordinator.

I think Kubes will do well next year with Wade as his DC. I would have liked that tandem here, but you can't always get what you want.

~G

G, I've respected your opinion as much as anyone around here, and for as long as anyone around here.... back at the Freak. So, I humbly ask you, who are you looking at for a HC?

Buff
01-06-2011, 01:50 PM

~G

This is one of the reasons I honestly wouldn't mind giving Brian Billick a look. He has been to the promised land before, he has been around a top-tier defense, he's been around one of the best personnel departments, he has seen it all as a head coach. Being out of the game in the media has probably given him fresh perspective.

My only hesitation is that he'll probably want to come in and be the offensive coordinator...Which was his downfall in Baltimore. If he would deligate those responsibilities from day #1, then I think he could bring the kind of credibility this team needs.

BigSarge87
01-06-2011, 01:56 PM
Yeah, it sounds like the Texans have a pretty solid combination there now. I'm uber-jealous. I was really hoping to get Phillips here as a coordinator.

I think Kubiak will handle that situation well. That would be sweet to see them take over the powerhouse roll in that division with Peyton possibly on the decline.

vettesplus
01-06-2011, 02:47 PM
In his Presser...

Just sayin'....

Elway needs to learn how to talk and chew gum at the same time.....

G_Money
01-06-2011, 03:00 PM
I don't think the coaching pool is as deep this year as it was in 2009, Zweems. I don't think we should wait around and take the last man standing.

There are a few guys who want all kinds of money and control, and I don't think they'll get either here. So I'm not holding my breath for the Cowher or Gruden or Harbaugh types.

I would actually be interested in Brian Billick, but I don't think he's in line for even an interview.

Of the coordinator types out there who haven't had head jobs yet, I like Fewell the best. I wanted either Leslie Frazier or Raheem Morris a couple of years ago just based on what I'd seen from them and heard about them, and both men are justifiably off the market now. Fewell's got that vibe and his players seem to love him.

I would be fine with Fewell and an OC like Jim Fassel added, who has experience as a head coach as well to help Fewell through the rough patches. John knows him very well, to boot.

If we were gonna go with a fired HC, the only guys I'd be looking at would be Fox and Cable. Cable may have an axe to grind with the Raiders, and I'm always happy to enable that, and I was impressed with some of the Raiders play this year for the first time in a long time.

Not just because they blew us out, either.

I don't want to wait too long and have to settle for promoting Studesville or something, though. We need to be attending to this with a quickness, so unless there's a candidate who is coaching in the playoffs who is a must-see guy, we should interview who we can and make a decision.

Though Gregg Williams doesn't thrill me. We can stay away from that option, thank you very much.

~G

Zweems56
01-06-2011, 03:20 PM
I don't think the coaching pool is as deep this year as it was in 2009, Zweems. I don't think we should wait around and take the last man standing.

There are a few guys who want all kinds of money and control, and I don't think they'll get either here. So I'm not holding my breath for the Cowher or Gruden or Harbaugh types.

I would actually be interested in Brian Billick, but I don't think he's in line for even an interview.

Of the coordinator types out there who haven't had head jobs yet, I like Fewell the best. I wanted either Leslie Frazier or Raheem Morris a couple of years ago just based on what I'd seen from them and heard about them, and both men are justifiably off the market now. Fewell's got that vibe and his players seem to love him.

I would be fine with Fewell and an OC like Jim Fassel added, who has experience as a head coach as well to help Fewell through the rough patches. John knows him very well, to boot.

If we were gonna go with a fired HC, the only guys I'd be looking at would be Fox and Cable. Cable may have an axe to grind with the Raiders, and I'm always happy to enable that, and I was impressed with some of the Raiders play this year for the first time in a long time.

Not just because they blew us out, either.

I don't want to wait too long and have to settle for promoting Studesville or something, though. We need to be attending to this with a quickness, so unless there's a candidate who is coaching in the playoffs who is a must-see guy, we should interview who we can and make a decision.

Though Gregg Williams doesn't thrill me. We can stay away from that option, thank you very much.

~G

I was looking forward to Spags, Frazier, and Morris as well when we hired McD. Personally I think that we need to lean toward hiring a leader of men who will let the coordinators coordinate. If everything we hear about Fewell is correct, that would be great. No racism or anything intended, but there seems to be a growing trend of black head coaches winning in this league. It just seems like the players want to play for them. I don't know if it's a cultural thing, or what, but if it's working....

Lancane
01-06-2011, 03:38 PM
I'm sort of glad this fell through, Mularkey in my honest opinion was not the right man for the job. But I am far from high on Fewell, I don't care if his players love his ass or not, his track record is not as good as people make it out to be, he's fielded some pretty sorry-ass defensive units and never held the blame in the eyes of others.

As for me, I would rather have Gregg Williams then those two, he's more proven, fielded better defensive production then on one team, he knows longetivity of the position being under Fisher for so many years and has deserved a head coaching job long before now.

With the likes of Rivera, Philbin, McDermott, Morninwheg, Schottenheimer, Koetter and Fassel available, I'm surprised the Broncos are looking at two-bit head coaching candidates that have proven less then McDaniels did, less then McCoy did before being named the offensive coordinator of our esteemed team.

I can't believe we have fans excited about Mularkey or Fewell as candidates, we have the net, the ability to read everything said about them and their track records, basically their whole resumes besides references, even then I am really surprised.

G_Money
01-06-2011, 06:47 PM
I don't think Schottenheimer is getting a coaching gig this offseason, though I expect him to be a HC soon.

Rivera is a terrible interview and strikes me as the defensive version of McDaniels. I'd still like to interview him here, see if some of his arrogance has rubbed off in the last few years.

Fassel can't get a gig in the NFL right now, but I still would put money down that if we hire a defensive coach that Fassel gets a long look as OC, if not the gig outright.

Koetter? For head coach? The Jags guy, right? He got fired out of the Pac-10. I don't think that solves any of our problems.

There are some other guys, but McDermott (who I like) Morninwheg, Philbin, and Schottenheimer are all in the playoffs, so we can't talk to them right now anyway.

Nobody's a slam dunk. Or at least, the very obviously qualified coaches IMO were retained by their teams (Houston, Minnesota, Dallas) leaving us with Mangina and Singletary types. No thanks.

I expect to interview some of the playoff-bound assistants you mentioned. I just don't think Morninwheg is eminently more qualified than Fewell, that's all.

And this is me not being ecstatically high on Fewell, though I would prefer him to Mularkey. Like I said, I've never been massively impressed with Fewell's schemes or results. But if he isn't coordinating anything then I don't need to be. I just need him to lead the team and get them ready for Sundays, and be able to add good assistants.

Nobody would say Cowher was the greatest schemer. He was only a DC for 2-3 years, wasn't he? Tomlin was a DC for one year.

It's not necessarily the head coach's job. I'm looking at other qualities.

~G

Lancane
01-06-2011, 08:38 PM
I don't think Schottenheimer is getting a coaching gig this offseason, though I expect him to be a HC soon.

Rivera is a terrible interview and strikes me as the defensive version of McDaniels. I'd still like to interview him here, see if some of his arrogance has rubbed off in the last few years.

Fassel can't get a gig in the NFL right now, but I still would put money down that if we hire a defensive coach that Fassel gets a long look as OC, if not the gig outright.

Koetter? For head coach? The Jags guy, right? He got fired out of the Pac-10. I don't think that solves any of our problems.

There are some other guys, but McDermott (who I like) Morninwheg, Philbin, and Schottenheimer are all in the playoffs, so we can't talk to them right now anyway.

Nobody's a slam dunk. Or at least, the very obviously qualified coaches IMO were retained by their teams (Houston, Minnesota, Dallas) leaving us with Mangina and Singletary types. No thanks.

I expect to interview some of the playoff-bound assistants you mentioned. I just don't think Morninwheg is eminently more qualified than Fewell, that's all.

And this is me not being ecstatically high on Fewell, though I would prefer him to Mularkey. Like I said, I've never been massively impressed with Fewell's schemes or results. But if he isn't coordinating anything then I don't need to be. I just need him to lead the team and get them ready for Sundays, and be able to add good assistants.

Nobody would say Cowher was the greatest schemer. He was only a DC for 2-3 years, wasn't he? Tomlin was a DC for one year.

It's not necessarily the head coach's job. I'm looking at other qualities.

~G

Come on G, the fact is that the NFL is full of solid coaching candidates, it’s just a matter of solid researching and interviewing.

I think or should say I believe that Brian Schottenheimer has earned a look at, and let’s face it, his family has a sorted history with us, and he was born in Denver. It would be like welcoming a native son back home in some ways.

As for Rivera, I’ve never known him to be arrogant, so I can not comment on that, but look at what he’s done, he’s lost players and talent and continually put together top defensive units, that’s not because of the talent they have behind those starters but the coach and his scheme, his ability to make adjustments and have his players ready no matter the situation.

I agree with you about Fassel, that he will get looked at as the offensive coordinator as well, but don’t count him out if the team does not feel that those candidates they have looked at are not what they want at the position. I don’t care that other teams don’t want Fassel, I know the man, respect him and he is one hell of a coach when all is said and done.

Regarding Dirk Koetter, I think he’s a solid coach. If you look at his career at the collegiate level, for a long-time he was regarded as one of the better offensive minds. He’s done pretty well in Jacksonville, but he is an X’s and O’s guy, something we could use, I think even you would admit that G.

Like you I like McDermott, Philbin and some others that are on teams that are in the playoffs. But there are a fair number that are not in the playoffs as well, Ron Rivera, Mike Shula, Rick Dennison, Mike Zimmer, Hue Jackson, Mike Nolan, Jim Fassel, Chuck Cecil, Dirk Koetter, Brian Billick, Greg Olson, Darrell Bevell and Richard Bisaccia would be some of those to look at, instead we have only looked at two coaches and neither that I feel is promising in any way.

BroncoBJ
01-06-2011, 09:25 PM
I'm sort of glad this fell through, Mularkey in my honest opinion was not the right man for the job. But I am far from high on Fewell, I don't care if his players love his ass or not, his track record is not as good as people make it out to be, he's fielded some pretty sorry-ass defensive units and never held the blame in the eyes of others.

As for me, I would rather have Gregg Williams then those two, he's more proven, fielded better defensive production then on one team, he knows longetivity of the position being under Fisher for so many years and has deserved a head coaching job long before now.

With the likes of Rivera, Philbin, McDermott, Morninwheg, Schottenheimer, Koetter and Fassel available, I'm surprised the Broncos are looking at two-bit head coaching candidates that have proven less then McDaniels did, less then McCoy did before being named the offensive coordinator of our esteemed team.

I can't believe we have fans excited about Mularkey or Fewell as candidates, we have the net, the ability to read everything said about them and their track records, basically their whole resumes besides references, even then I am really surprised.

Yea, I don't get the love affair with Fewell either. I'm not real sure on what hes ever done that warrants he should be a HC and would be a good one. A lot of people on here seem to want him.

People that I'd like to see as a HC, havn't even been talked about for an interview yet :fight:

Lancane
01-06-2011, 09:29 PM
Yea, I don't get the love affair with Fewell either. I'm not real sure on what hes ever done that warrants he should be a HC and would be a good one. A lot of people on here seem to want him.

People that I'd like to see as a HC, havn't even been talked about for an interview yet :fight:

Who would that be?

BroncoBJ
01-06-2011, 09:39 PM
Who would that be?

Well I'd like Ron Rivera. Hes been around plenty of different defenses, plus I'd like to give him a shot. And he'd also know the Chargers pretty well. :elefant:

And part of me for some reason wants Rob Ryan. But not really. Until this year, I havn't been too in love with his defenses. Though I think the Browns didn't give up 30 points in any game this year. So if we could go a whole year without letting any team score 30 on us, I'd love it. :lol: Plus we have 19 straight years with a MNF game I think. If he was our coach, I bet we'd be on MNF against the Jets to extend the streak. And it'd be a circus with those 2.

Though I'd rather have a HC, not a clown with a lot of antics.

Another guy who I wouldn't mind is Tony Dungy, but I know hes not going anywhere anyways. But I know he thinks highly of Tebow and been around a good defense in Tampa and a good offense in Indy. But hes not going anywhere anyways.

And if we were to go back to old Broncos, then I wouldn't mind Rick Dennison. Hes been here, and we could go back to the ZBS, play action, bootlegs, and a lot of stuff that we did before Josh got here.

Just a few guys I wouldn't mind.

Not really a fan of anyone were interviewing now though. And don't really want Fassel or Billick.

Not too sure who my #1 choice is. Seems like I kinda change in my head every day who I want.

I'm pretty sure that whoever we hire as a HC, I'm not going to be a fan of. But I'll get over it. :fight:

BroncoStud
01-06-2011, 09:50 PM
Guys, John Elway didn't even know his name in the press conference, kept calling him Mark Mularkey...

This is GREAT news! He sucks. He isn't even a top coordinator let alone a good head coach. He sucked in Buffalo and his coordinator stints have been mediocre. I suppose he wouldn't look so attractive now if he didn't have Matt Ryan, Michael Turner, Tony Gonzalez, and Roddy White...

We don't want this bum anyway.

Lancane
01-06-2011, 09:57 PM
Well I'd like Ron Rivera. Hes been around plenty of different defenses, plus I'd like to give him a shot. And he'd also know the Chargers pretty well. :elefant:

And part of me for some reason wants Rob Ryan. But not really. Until this year, I havn't been too in love with his defenses. Though I think the Browns didn't give up 30 points in any game this year. So if we could go a whole year without letting any team score 30 on us, I'd love it. :lol: Plus we have 19 straight years with a MNF game I think. If he was our coach, I bet we'd be on MNF against the Jets to extend the streak. And it'd be a circus with those 2.

Though I'd rather have a HC, not a clown with a lot of antics.

Another guy who I wouldn't mind is Tony Dungy, but I know hes not going anywhere anyways. But I know he thinks highly of Tebow and been around a good defense in Tampa and a good offense in Indy. But hes not going anywhere anyways.

And if we were to go back to old Broncos, then I wouldn't mind Rick Dennison. Hes been here, and we could go back to the ZBS, play action, bootlegs, and a lot of stuff that we did before Josh got here.

Just a few guys I wouldn't mind.

Not really a fan of anyone were interviewing now though. And don't really want Fassel or Billick.

Not too sure who my #1 choice is. Seems like I kinda change in my head every day who I want.

I'm pretty sure that whoever we hire as a HC, I'm not going to be a fan of. But I'll get over it. :fight:

Ron Rivera is my favorite, I will not deny that. I have been pulling for him since we fired Josh McDaniels from the post.

If I was to make a candidate list right now, based off those I’m high on it would look like this:

Ron Rivera
Pete Carmichael Jr.
Scott McDermott
Brian Schottenheimer
Keith Butler
Clyde Christensen
Gregg Williams

BroncoStud
01-06-2011, 10:02 PM
Ron Rivera or Jon Gruden are my top choices.

BroncoBJ
01-06-2011, 10:20 PM
Ron Rivera is my favorite, I will not deny that. I have been pulling for him since we fired Josh McDaniels from the post.

If I was to make a candidate list right now, based off those I’m high on it would look like this:

Ron Rivera
Pete Carmichael Jr.
Scott McDermott
Brian Schottenheimer
Keith Butler
Clyde Christensen
Gregg Williams

The only 2 from that list that I really would not want as a HC is Gregg Williams and Brian Shottenhieimer.

Wouldn't really have a problem with the others.

And Scott McDermott? Or Sean McDormott?

I really do think I want a defensive minded HC though. I just feel like if we get a defensive minded HC, he'll fix the defense and leave the offense alone and bring in a good coordinator.

Lancane
01-06-2011, 11:42 PM
The only 2 from that list that I really would not want as a HC is Gregg Williams and Brian Shottenhieimer.

Wouldn't really have a problem with the others.

And Scott McDermott? Or Sean McDormott?

I really do think I want a defensive minded HC though. I just feel like if we get a defensive minded HC, he'll fix the defense and leave the offense alone and bring in a good coordinator.

Sean McDermott, hahaha...see, Elway is not the only one who does it, Mark!

WARHORSE
01-06-2011, 11:53 PM
Its all good. I want Dick LeBeau anyway.

Bring back coach Gibbs for the Oline, and a good OC, leave Wink in place and bring in LeBeau to be HC.

He will build a run first team with a staunch defense.

At this point, Tebows style of play can compliment that. Hes like Big Ben with running ability.

He can keep working on his drops, footwork and passing too, getting better.

LeBeau is my candidate...........only one I want.

And if he comes in, he will draft defense. End of story.

BroncoStud
01-07-2011, 12:00 AM
LeBeau has had his chances. He's going to follow the Chin if he takes a job anyways. LeBaue is much like Gregg Williams, amazing defensive coordinator but not a Head Coach.

Being a great coordinator does not translate to being a great Head Coach as Josh McDaniels should have taught us...

Head Coach is more about being a politician than a strategist, that's why they hire assistants.

jhildebrand
01-07-2011, 12:17 PM

I wanted Leslie Frazier the last go round followed by Spags. Many didn't know who Frazier was. Most didn't know who Morris in Tampa was.

Oh and by the way, John Harbaugh was a ST's coach in Baltimore before being hired and Mike Smith in Atlanta was a DB coach.

The point is you don't have to hire a former Coordinator in this league anymore. There are plenty of very talented and smart coaches on the rosters. In fact, it has been said that Rick Dennison was far and away the best interview the Broncos had the last go round!

Lancane
01-07-2011, 01:46 PM
I wanted Leslie Frazier the last go round followed by Spags. Many didn't know who Frazier was. Most didn't know who Morris in Tampa was.

Oh and by the way, John Harbaugh was a ST's coach in Baltimore before being hired and Mike Smith in Atlanta was a DB coach.

The point is you don't have to hire a former Coordinator in this league anymore. There are plenty of very talented and smart coaches on the rosters. In fact, it has been said that Rick Dennison was far and away the best interview the Broncos had the last go round!

Yeah, but I think Fewell has proven his ineptitude as a coordinator, I will not credit it him for the Giants' defense since that unit was well coached before he was even given that permission. And before he went to New York his defenses were utterly mediocre. While sometimes a diamond can be found in the rough, at least see something shiny before looking or you may look like a fool.

Each there own, with the mention of Dennison, I'm more relieved, I hope he gets an interview and Elway said he may call Jim Fassel as well.

jhildebrand
01-08-2011, 01:18 AM
Yeah, but I think Fewell has proven his ineptitude as a coordinator, I will not credit it him for the Giants' defense since that unit was well coached before he was even given that permission. And before he went to New York his defenses were utterly mediocre. While sometimes a diamond can be found in the rough, at least see something shiny before looking or you may look like a fool.

Each there own, with the mention of Dennison, I'm more relieved, I hope he gets an interview and Elway said he may call Jim Fassel as well.

Fassel worries me. He has been away from this league for a long time. Dennison was said to have had the best interview last time around. But the idea of going back to any version of Shanahan football doesn't do anything for me but make me think Bowlen doesn't get it and the team will continue to remain going backwards or a holding pattern at the least.

If I had my way, we would have Marty right now with Brian Schottenheimer as assistant HC/Offense with the idea that he is the HC to be. I wanted Marty as GM and Brian as HC but Xanders is now the gm so the above scenario still makes sense. I don't think Marty would cost this team a whole lot.

Sinthor
01-08-2011, 01:23 PM
Wow, it just seems to me that the pickings are slim right now. Based on what they've done (only) as coordinators I'd pick Rivera, Dennison and Forrest. HC isn't a coordinating spot though. Out of those three I think I'd be MOST comfortable with Dennison or Rivera. But I'm not sure that I wouldn't just rather have them as coordinators for the Broncos.

I'm most concerned with who the new coordinators are (assuming they change) and who will be primarily charged with developing Tebow. THAT's not a HC job either, which is why I wasn't too jazzed about Mularkey. You can say he did a great job with Matt Ryan but again, HC's don't develop quarterbacks!

I dunno...