PDA

View Full Version : Woody's Mailbag: Broncos fans are worrying about Champ Bailey

TXBRONC
01-06-2011, 09:34 AM
Woody's Mailbag: Broncos fans are worrying about Champ Bailey
Lindsay and Brook ask Woody if the Broncos will let Champ Bailey go.
By Woody Paige
The Denver Post

Posted: 01/06/2011 01:00:00 AM MST

With Pat Bowlen and the Broncos so worried about recapturing the fans' trust, how in the world could they let Champ Bailey go? He has been the one constant, shining light and the fans love him. If the Broncos let him go, it will be another blow to fans that are already losing faith!

— Lindsay Hayden, Bayfield, Colo.

Woody, what are the odds that Champ Bailey is a Bronco next season and beyond? He is the lone bright spot in the league's worst defense, and he is still playing at an All-Pro level. To not keep him as the cornerstone as the new regime rebuilds the Broncos would be foolish beyond belief. Was the decision to pull his contract extension off the table made by Josh McDaniels or Pat Bowlen/Joe Ellis? Thanks!

— Brook, Lakewood

Lindsay and Brook: This was written before John Elway's Wednesday press conference, so it's a bit unfair for me to answer all of these questions without knowing any more than Elway, Pat Bowlen, Brian Xanders or anybody else knows. They don't know who the coach will be, and I don't, either.

But I will try to answer, mostly based on my own beliefs, which could be changed by how everything comes down in the next two weeks. Champ left the locker room (after not playing) early Sunday night, and I caught up with him at the exit to the parking lot, and we talked for a few minutes.

I wouldn't blame him for a second if he wanted to go somewhere else and try to win a ring, and I thanked him for always being a class act and a great player. He said he loves playing here and hope it's not over "as long as they are going in the right direction." I said: "Can't go in any more of a wrong direction."

He laughed and said: "That's true." I get the indication he wants to come back.

Josh McDaniels was responsible for pulling the offer off the table. Josh McDaniels is, of course, gone. I believe sincerely the Broncos will go back to the bargaining table with Champ; he will give them a hometown discount because he does love living here, and all will get this done.

I'd be shocked if it didn't. I told you guys last summer, when everybody was in a panic, that the Elvis deal would get done. It got done.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17020984

The line about McDaniels caught my eye because someone else in another thread quoted an article that said Ellis is the one that pulled the plug on the Bailey contract negotiations. I would guess the truth is somewhere in the middle. He also interesting thoughts on Studesville, what we need in the draft and the receiving corps.

silkamilkamonico
01-06-2011, 09:43 AM
I was under the impression that Bowlen and front office pulled the offer on Bailey earlier in the year and not McDaniels.

Here it says McDaniels pulled the offer from the table.

If it was McDaniels, why would Bailey make a comment about his offer being pulled in his earlier interview within the last week about the offer being pulled having weight in his decision if the man that pulled it was fired?

Is the organization lying to us in this situation?

silkamilkamonico
01-06-2011, 09:43 AM
The line about McDaniels caught my eye because someone else in another thread quoted an article that said Ellis is the one that pulled the plug on the Bailey contract negotiations. I would guess the truth is somewhere in the middle. He also interesting thoughts on Studesville, what we need in the draft and the receiving corps.

I missed this when I was reading the article. I found that very interesting as well.

Lonestar
01-06-2011, 09:44 AM
I think Josh will be the fall guy for anything negative that hAppened the past 2 years whether he was or not. Yet get no credit for anything. That might have happened.

TXBRONC
01-06-2011, 10:35 AM
I missed this when I was reading the article. I found that very interesting as well.

Sorry I didn't job making it clear. In a different thread someone quoted an article that said it was Ellis who pulled the plug on the the negotiations. Paige's comment is the polar opposite that's why it caught my eye. I'm sure the truth is somewhere in middle.

TXBRONC
01-06-2011, 10:39 AM
I was under the impression that Bowlen and front office pulled the offer on Bailey earlier in the year and not McDaniels.

Here it says McDaniels pulled the offer from the table.

If it was McDaniels, why would Bailey make a comment about his offer being pulled in his earlier interview within the last week about the offer being pulled having weight in his decision if the man that pulled it was fired?

Is the organization lying to us in this situation?

I don't think it necessarily means anyone in the organization is lying but I don't think it's stretch to believe that both men were involved in the decision in some fashion.

TXBRONC
01-06-2011, 10:53 AM
I think Josh will be the fall guy for anything negative that hAppened the past 2 years whether he was or not. Yet get no credit for anything. That might have happened.

Some people will make McDaniels the fall guy for everything just like his predecessor was. As I said, the truth is somewhere in the middle. For all we know maybe Ellis did pull the plug and McDaniels fought against it, just as it possible McDaniels made the decision, bottom line we don't know. That being I think it is safe to say that given the fact that McDaniels was the head coach at the time his views would have been taken into consideration.

PAINTERDAVE
01-06-2011, 12:15 PM

Yes... from here on out... Josh will be the scapegoat for any and all things related to 2009 -2010.

And who cares? Throw the guy under the bus...
sign Champ...
move on with Elway OVER Ellis and Xanders...
and get a new start.

I for one am GLAD that Pat brought in Elway to ride herd on Ellis...
Pat apparantly was NOT up to the job....
so he brought in somene who is.

CLEAN SLATE!

TXBRONC
01-06-2011, 12:26 PM
Yes... from here on out... Josh will be the scapegoat for any and all things related to 2009 -2010.

And who cares? Throw the guy under the bus...
sign Champ...
move on with Elway OVER Ellis and Xanders...
and get a new start.

I for one am GLAD that Pat brought in Elway to ride herd on Ellis...
Pat apparantly was NOT up to the job....
so he brought in somene who is.

CLEAN SLATE!

I think Ellis is actually over Elway.

Ravage!!!
01-06-2011, 12:27 PM
I don't know. I always felt it was McDaniels because Belicheck in NE, didn't sign Milloy or Law, and felt he could do it without paying top CBs.

McD wanted to be a clone of everything Belicheck did,and woldn't be surprised to find that he shopped for the same underwear as Bill. To me, the stunk of McD from the beginning.

TXBRONC
01-06-2011, 12:43 PM
I don't know. I always felt it was McDaniels because Belicheck in NE, didn't sign Milloy or Law, and felt he could do it without paying top CBs.

McD wanted to be a clone of everything Belicheck did,and woldn't be surprised to find that he shopped for the same underwear as Bill. To me, the stunk of McD from the beginning.

McDaniels may have been able unilaterally make that kind of move, but at same time who gave him the stroke to do so?

SpringsBroncoFan
01-06-2011, 01:53 PM
I do hope we resign Champ, it will make things so much easier...

I like what Woody said about signing vets , particularly at TE & RB ...

As for who to keep... I suppose, since it's going to take more than this draft & signings to rebuild the house after it's been burned down... :mad:

TXBRONC
01-06-2011, 02:29 PM
I do hope we resign Champ, it will make things so much easier...

I like what Woody said about signing vets , particularly at TE & RB ...

As for who to keep... I suppose, since it's going to take more than this draft & signings to rebuild the house after it's been burned down... :mad:

Re-signing Champ would help to maintain stability in the secondary we still need find eventual replacements for everyone back there including Champ.

Lancane
01-06-2011, 03:58 PM
I think Ellis is actually over Elway.

Only in title...:lol:

TXBRONC
01-06-2011, 05:54 PM
Sorta. :lol:
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

frauschieze
01-06-2011, 05:57 PM

You mean it'll be the same as you treat Shanahan? :hi: