PDA

View Full Version : Pat Plays His Ace in the Hole

Ziggy
01-06-2011, 09:07 AM
The once proud Denver Broncos franchise has been brought to it's knees in recent years. Spygate II, a 4-12 season, and years of mediocrity prior to that. Never has the Denver fan base been so disenchanted with it's beloved NFL team. Owner Pat Bowlen was in dire straights. His team had developed a talent depleted roster, with seemingly no light at the end of the tunnel.

Only one thing could stop this downward spiral. It was time for Pat to play his ace in the hole, time to bring out the big gun. Enter the Duke. Naming John Elway vice president of football operations was a shrewd move. The Denver icon who once rode off into the sunset with 2 championship rings and a Superbowl MVP in hand has been called out of retirement to save the day.

In his first press conference as an NFL executive, his exitement was contagious, his attitude uplifting, and his determination refreshing. Recent history be damned, this is the Denver Broncos! We will turn this thing around and compete for championships again. It's a mountain to climb, but Elway has climbed mountains before and reached the summit through pure grit, determination, and passion.

This time, he's starting from a new postion, with a steep learning curve and the knowlege that he can't do it alone. He'll hire those who know what he doesn't. He'll find competitors to contribute on both the playing field and the front office. This thing may take some time, but it's going to get done.

John Elway is going after another championship and he's going full steam ahead. I, for one am happy be along for the ride. The best thing about supporting your team through the tough times is that it makes the good times even better. The light is there,,,,,,,within sight once again. Well played Mr. Bowlen.

BigSarge87
01-06-2011, 09:15 AM
Great post but it's much funner to read if you imagine the NFL Films guy narrating it!

SOCALORADO.
01-06-2011, 09:28 AM
As a kid i was able to enjoy this,

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/1001/this.day.sports.history.jan11/images/john-elway.jpg

Now its back! If thats what it takes, so be it!

vettesplus
01-06-2011, 10:02 AM
everyone needs to be careful, you all could be setting yourself up for a huge let down, just saying...

Slick
01-06-2011, 10:13 AM
everyone needs to be careful, you all could be setting yourself up for a huge let down, just saying...

Elway will have to be beyond terrible to be worse than what we've had over the last few years.

Also, I don't think Elway forgot that he needed a complete football team to compete for the trophy. That's the best part about this deal, that and his competitive spirit.

I'm excited but realistic at the same time.

Ziggy
01-06-2011, 10:19 AM

We've been let down before and we'll be let down again. Who cares? The worst thing that can happen is that the Broncos still suck. Then again, we could be on the road to winning championships again. Sit back and enjoy the ride brother. This is what sports are all about.

BigSarge87
01-06-2011, 10:35 AM
We've been let down before and we'll be let down again. Who cares? The worst thing that can happen is that the Broncos still suck. Then again, we could be on the road to winning championships again. Sit back and enjoy the ride brother. This is what sports are all about.

That's what I was thinking, we're pretty much rock bottom now, why not jump back on the Elway train and ride it wherever it goes? It will be a blast to watch him again, even if he's not in uniform.

Tned
01-06-2011, 10:40 AM
Elway will have to be beyond terrible to be worse than what we've had over the last few years.

Also, I don't think Elway forgot that he needed a complete football team to compete for the trophy. That's the best part about this deal, that and his competitive spirit.

I'm excited but realistic at the same time.

Yea, one of the things that Elway said was something many Denver fans don't get, because of the 5 SB appearances with Elway under center. Getting to and winning the SB is a MONUMENTAL feat. It takes a lot of things going your way, good breaks, lack of injuries, etc.

It's everyone's goal, but our perspective became warped with so many SB appearances when Broncos fans fell into the "anything short of a SB win is a failure", mentality.

PAINTERDAVE
01-06-2011, 12:09 PM
Look at that 6 run streak McD started out with.

The immaculate reception in Cinncinatti... 4 of those other wins were razor close.

Then look at how some of the losses went... the Colts game sticks out...
we were so close to pulling that one out.

Fast forward to this season.. the Jacksonville game... the Jets... the Rams.
Those were winnable.

I agree with Tned... sometimes it is not so much about being a dominant team
as being a lucky team as well.

I truly believe that by getting in people who ARE winners...
and establishing a WINNING attitude around here again...

that we will be MAKING our own good luck happen...
and winning some of these close games.
Winning (or losing) can be contagious.

Start winning again... keep building... keep winning...
and next thing you know...
the McD era is nothing but a bad memory.

I am not making wild predictions... but I do think we will be contending again...
sooner rather than later.

Bosco
01-06-2011, 05:10 PM
It was a good PR move, but that's about it.