PDA

View Full Version : I don't really get the impression that Elway wants Tebow as his QB

robert ethan
01-05-2011, 09:14 PM
Anyone else getting that vibe? I think the plan was to draft Luck when John came aboard, but that looks unlikely. Would they use the second overall pick on Blaine Gabbert, who looks a lot more like the young John Elway, physically and stylistically, than Luck?

Gabbert was rated well ahead of Luck as a pro style QB coming out of high school, and was a baseball star as well.:confused:. He has the better arm, is slightly bigger, and probably a bit quicker than Luck over 40 yards. I've liked him better at the position for awhile, but I'm wondering if the Broncos would take such a radical step?

topscribe
01-05-2011, 09:18 PM
No, I don't get that. For one, I believe Elway is trying not to put any pressure
on the future HC. For another, I believe he really does feel a need to see
more. But I don't in any way get the impression he doesn't want Tebow . . .

-----

Tned
01-05-2011, 09:19 PM
I'll be VERY surprised if they did that. Even if they aren't sold on Tebow, I doubt they would opt to spend a third first round pick in last 5 years on a QB, when the defense is so clearly in need of help.

MacGruder
01-05-2011, 09:22 PM
My worry is that they are just using Tebow to keep fans entertained rather than considering his career. He is too good of a guy to demand a trade.

I have a feeling Elway will give some token attempt to groom Tim then put a guy he likes in there and then make Tim a runner or tight end or something.

But I also think Tim could just win games and overcome all the doubts about him. He will probably have criticism around him the entire time about HOW he does it but still dominate.

silkamilkamonico
01-05-2011, 09:23 PM
We would be foolish to go QB other than Luck, but I think Ryal Mallet has more upside as an NFL QB than Gabbert.

I have not been that impressed with Gabbert. Struggled mightly and looked downright bad in 3-4 games this year. I don't think he's anywhere near Luck, or even Mallet as an NFL prospect. I would even be reluctant to put him in the 2nd tier of QB's. JMHO.

Nomad
01-05-2011, 09:24 PM
I had to google who Blaine Gabbert was!!

chazoe60
01-05-2011, 09:26 PM
No. I think Elway is just throwing his version of tough love at Tebow. I can't know that for sure but it's just my guess. He wants Tim to work on those things and he's just being honest.

A lot will be told by who becomes the HC. If it's Mularkey then to me it's pretty obvious they want to devote a lot of resources to developing Tebow. If it's Fewell or he like, then it will depend on who they hire as OC.

We will know more about the franchise's view of Tebow by the coaching decisions made.

robert ethan
01-05-2011, 09:28 PM
We would be foolish to go QB other than Luck, but I think Ryal Mallet has more upside as an NFL QB than Gabbert.

I have not been that impressed with Gabbert. Struggled mightly and looked downright bad in 3-4 games this year. I don't think he's anywhere near Luck, or even Mallet as an NFL prospect. I would even be reluctant to put him in the 2nd tier of QB's. JMHO.

He was 5 star coming out of HS. Top rated pro style QB. Luck was 4 star and 4th rated. I think Andy got lucky with Stanford and Harbaugh as much as anything else. If nothing else, Gabbert sure LOOKS like the John Elway of 30 years ago or whatever.:lol:

broken12
01-05-2011, 09:29 PM
who cares if tebow is who we have here next year ill fully support giving him the chance to improve on the passing game, but if there are no signs of improvement within the first 8-10 games then so long!

horsepig
01-05-2011, 09:30 PM
IMHO, you guys are ****** nuts! TT is our qb of the near future at least. Anyway, we are going defense, I wouldn't even mind Williams?, I can't remember his name. Do the names Atwater and Lott ring any bells?

I know we need DL help immediately but, can you pass on this player? We have the second pick, we should be able to do some maneuvering to get a couple DLmen in the draft plus some more frikkin FAs.

Understand, I am not specifically saying draft him, but you have to wonder.

DenBronx
01-05-2011, 09:33 PM
I never got the impression that he didn't want him.

All he did was light up everytime someone brought up Tebow. John said today that he would love to work with him. Not only is he VP but he is more than willing to dedicate his time to Tebow.

John said today. "I can't imagine ANY head coach who wouldn't want Tebow."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/05/elway-cant-imagine-a-coach-that-wouldnt-want-tebow/

robert ethan
01-05-2011, 09:34 PM
Gabbert and Bowers are the only two players I'd use the #2 overall pick on. Probably Kyle Rudolph as well, but he will be available late in the first and possibly even the second round.

WARHORSE
01-05-2011, 09:34 PM
His evaluation of Tebow is that hes everything we want as a player/man, and hes a great football player...can make plays. But if we want to get where we want to go, he needs to become a great quarterback. His footwork, drops need continued work, and also that the system he played in didnt exactly prepare him for the pro game.

Got that off his radio interview.

cuzz4169
01-05-2011, 09:47 PM

All he did was light up everytime someone brought up Tebow. John said today that he would love to work with him. Not only is he VP but he is more than willing to dedicate his time to Tebow.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/05/elway-cant-imagine-a-coach-that-wouldnt-want-tebow/

I agree John was smiling from ear to ear when talking about tebow....what are you guys talking about? You guys are killing me...what press conference did you watch?

zbeg
01-05-2011, 09:48 PM
His evaluation of Tebow is that hes everything we want as a player/man, and hes a great football player...can make plays. But if we want to get where we want to go, he needs to become a great quarterback. His footwork, drops need continued work, and also that the system he played in didnt exactly prepare him for the pro game.

Got that off his radio interview.

Which is pretty spot on. Tebow has the potential and the mental makeup to be elite, but he has to do a lot of stuff to get there. It's pretty important to realize that he does have a long ways to go before becoming an elite NFL passer, but if anyone can do it, it's Tebow.

The mistake that I don't want a coach to fall into is to think that he's "almost good enough" and just needs a little refinement before settling on where he needs to be. That would be an injustice to Tebow and wouldn't let him maximize his (considerable) potential.

Davii
01-05-2011, 09:50 PM
I don't see anything in Elway's comments that would lead me to believe he doesn't like Tebow going forward. What I saw is him say that's a coaching decision, and he can't think of any coach that wouldn't want to coach Tebow.

I also saw him say that Tebow is a "darn good football player", and "we need to make him a darn good qb". That says to me he plans on Tebow being here to get the help to become a "darn good qb".

It seems like maybe you're reading into Elway's comments something that isn't there. I don't know. He made the point that he is not the head cheese on player evaluation, that he is there to break a tie between the HC and GM if it comes to that.

I Eat Staples
01-05-2011, 10:01 PM
Some of you are ridiculous. Elway isn't going to come out and say bad things about Tebow, but what is it about this guy that makes people not only like him, but have unrealistic expectations for him? What is it going to take to convince you guys that the majority of the NFL world doesn't view Tebow as a franchise QB? You're saying that McDaniels was right and mostly everyone else was wrong? Not likely.

If Tebow becomes our franchise QB, he will have beat the odds. He will have proved everyone wrong, not right. It's as simple as that. I want the guy to succeed too, but you shouldn't expect him to. I hope Elway is smart enough to realize that, and then it'll be up to the organization to decide whether or not it's worth it to take a risk with Tebow. And that's exactly what it is, a risk. There's a chance he could be great, but Tebow is not supposed to be a great NFL QB.

I'll be okay with it whether they cut ties with Tebow now or give him a chance, and if he stays then I'll be hoping he succeeds but expecting him to fail.

WARHORSE
01-05-2011, 10:04 PM
I don't see anything in Elway's comments that would lead me to believe he doesn't like Tebow going forward. What I saw is him say that's a coaching decision, and he can't think of any coach that wouldn't want to coach Tebow.

I also saw him say that Tebow is a "darn good football player", and "we need to make him a darn good qb". That says to me he plans on Tebow being here to get the help to become a "darn good qb".

It seems like maybe you're reading into Elway's comments something that isn't there. I don't know. He made the point that he is not the head cheese on player evaluation, that he is there to break a tie between the HC and GM if it comes to that.

Yeah, all I think he said is what we all know already. You can see what Tebow brings now.....the taste of a real playmaker. But of course his dropback game, playaction fakes, footwork, passing in timing routes, etc is going to be a work in progress.

Besides, it would have been a mistake to say publicly that Tebow has arrived. They expect continued work and progress out of Tim, and I think thats what they'll get.

Tned
01-05-2011, 10:09 PM
Some of you are ridiculous. Elway isn't going to come out and say bad things about Tebow, but what is it about this guy that makes people not only like him, but have unrealistic expectations for him? What is it going to take to convince you guys that the majority of the NFL world doesn't view Tebow as a franchise QB? You're saying that McDaniels was right and mostly everyone else was wrong? Not likely.

Well, McDaniels was right about Cutler, Marshall, Hillis... Oh, wait....

chazoe60
01-05-2011, 10:10 PM

If Tebow becomes our franchise QB, he will have beat the odds. He will have proved everyone wrong, not right. It's as simple as that. I want the guy to succeed too, but you shouldn't expect him to. I hope Elway is smart enough to realize that, and then it'll be up to the organization to decide whether or not it's worth it to take a risk with Tebow. And that's exactly what it is, a risk. There's a chance he could be great, but Tebow is not supposed to be a great NFL QB.

I'll be okay with it whether they cut ties with Tebow now or give him a chance, and if he stays then I'll be hoping he succeeds but expecting him to fail.

This is just an awful post. Sorry but you must think Kiper and the like represent the majority of the NFL. If you think there's a better chance he flops than succeeds you didn't pay enough attention to the last three games. Was it pretty? No. Was it conventional? No. Did it work? Well, we scored more under Tebow against two common opponents than we did with that fella in your sig at the helm.

robert ethan
01-05-2011, 10:20 PM
It still boils down to Elway even if he "isn't the guy making personal decisions". John will choose the coach, who is 1/3 of the triangle. Even if Xanders is 100% sold on Tebow, that leaves the decision in the hands of Elway and the guy he chooses as coach. I know everyone thinks the team paid an arm and a leg for Tebow, but that wasn't the case. If you follow the draft picks back it works out to half of Brandon Marshall (who I'm sure they're glad to be rid of), and a tiny portion (perhaps 1/20) of Jay Cutler, who I don't think they miss a bit either. Tebow was free money at the draft, which is probably part of the reason McDaniels and Xanders felt good taking the "risk". Even if he turns out to be no more than the second coming of Peyton Hillis, the team is laughing from an expenditure point of view.

The reason that I consider this scenario is the fact that the team has such a high draft pick. Even when they got Elway they weren't drafting this high. When you get in the situation, you naturally look at your long term QB prospects since that is the single most accurate predictor for success going forward. Do they think that Tebow can be the guy, or do they want to take advantage of their draft spot to bring in another guy to compete with him? If no one offers value for the pick, I think they decide between Gabbert and Bowers, based on what Elway thinks about Tebow.

I Eat Staples
01-05-2011, 10:23 PM
This is just an awful post. Sorry but you must think Kiper and the like represent the majority of the NFL. If you think there's a better chance he flops than succeeds you didn't pay enough attention to the last three games. Was it pretty? No. Was it conventional? No. Did it work? Well, we scored more under Tebow against two common opponents than we did with that fella in your sig at the helm.

Okay, you tell me why he's likely to succeed and I'll tell you why he's likely to fail.

Lancane
01-05-2011, 10:31 PM
John just knows that Tebow is not yet an NFL quarterback, he needs to be coached and needs to develop because he is not a natural pocket passing quarterback yet. But I never got once that he didn’t like him, he loves the kid…but like he said, “He’s a darn good football player, but we need him to be a darn good quarterback”.

Tned
01-05-2011, 10:32 PM
Okay, you tell me why he's likely to succeed and I'll tell you why he's likely to fail.

Succeed --- He's not Kyle Orton...

Davii
01-05-2011, 10:34 PM
based on what Elway thinks about Tebow.

And when he calls and tells you what he thinks of Tebow, please be sure to record it.

You know as much about what he thinks of Tebow as any of the rest of us do. Which is approximately how much I know about whether he prefers boxers or tighty whities.

Elway seemed to like Tebow. Does that mean he supports him as a starting QB and our franchise QB? No, but it doesn't mean he doesn't either. Elway is not the coach, nor the GM, he knows his role and he "knows what he doesn't know".

It's a coaching decision, and *IF* he is sold on Tebow, here's betting he doesn't pick a coach that isn't and if he's not, well, then maybe he hires someone who wants to dump him.

Either way, Tebow will be a Bronco next year, whether as starter or beat out in pre-season. No way he goes anywhere until he has either proven he isn't worth the trouble, or he proves enough to give value back.

Your contention that "we didn't give up anything" is ludicrous. No matter how you break down what brought us to that pick he was a first round pick. Period. Those picks traded to get him could have possibly filled some defensive holes.

underrated29
01-05-2011, 10:40 PM

my oh my. I think this post if full of it. But one part in particular really struck out.

"tebow is not supposed to be a great nfl qb"

Are you serious? wtf does that mean? He is not supposed to be a great nfl QB. It makes no sense, at all.

Why is he not supposed to be a great nfl qb? Who says he is not supposed to be a great nfl qb? Is it his PASSING records he set in college that mean he is not supposed to be a great nfl qb. Is it the fact that the dude flat out wins and that is what NFL qbs are judged on. By wins and losses. not stats or anything else but wins and losses.

This has to go down as an all time worst right here.

chazoe60
01-05-2011, 10:40 PM

He's never failed at any level of football ever. He's had as good a first three game start as you could hope for any rookie on a team in the shape that this team is in and yet people like you assume he'll fail because he looks funny when he throws? Or because he doesn't yet read defenses like a seasoned vet (as if any rookie does).

I will never understand how anyone could support Orton and claim Tebow will fail. It makes zero sense to me. But go ahead and worship at the sacred mechanics ground which has touted the likes of Jeff George and JaMarcus Russell, I'll put my money on the dude who has done nothing but win, prove doubters wrong, and succeed at every level of football in which he's been given time.

Italianmobstr7
01-05-2011, 10:42 PM

Exactly.

silkamilkamonico
01-05-2011, 10:51 PM
He was 5 star coming out of HS. Top rated pro style QB. Luck was 4 star and 4th rated. I think Andy got lucky with Stanford and Harbaugh as much as anything else. If nothing else, Gabbert sure LOOKS like the John Elway of 30 years ago or whatever.:lol:

High school rankings don't mean anything. Don't believe me, look at 2006, when Mitch Mustain was the #2 rated Pro Style QB behind Stafford, and Josh Freeman sat ranked below Mustain at #4. Where is Freeman right now, and where is Mustain? BTW, in this same class (06), Sam Bradford, who's a better NFL QB than Stafford, Freeman, Mustain, Tebow, Gabbert, everyone since 2006, was ranked #12 Pro Style QB in that class, and was only a 3 star prospect. That alone tells you how meaningless those rankings are.

I also completely disagree with you saying Luck got lucky with Harbaugh. Luck and Harbaugh re-upstarted a major program in the Pac-10 who had been down, while Blaine Gabbert went to Missouri, a QB friendly system that produced Chase Daniel, and Gabbert didn't even compare to Daniel's success at Missouri. He wasn't a better QB than Chase Daniel, and Daniel's is an NFL backup.

I think it's cool if you like Gabbert, but I think you're making a mistake in trying to justify high school rankings as some indication of what kind of QB they will become.

BroncoWave
01-05-2011, 11:08 PM
Todd McShay has Gabbert going in the top 5. That shocks me. I had honestly never heard of him until I saw his top 5 come up on my screen.

jhildebrand
01-05-2011, 11:24 PM
Blaine Gabbert will be this year's combine hype machine. The guy shouldn't have come out. Some of His advisors told him he was probably better suited going back to Mizzou for another season.

Ryan Mallett will be a MUCH better PRO than Gabbert.

Finally, this thread is a perfect microcosm of Tebow-ites. Any critique of the guy, no matter how much it is justified and jiustifiable gets the Tebow fans in a hissy fit. All of a sudden Elway is a hater and wants to dump Tebow the first chance he gets :rolleyes:

The fact is Tebow is a first year player. Lot's of first year players, especially QB's, have parts of their game to work on. The Mannings had things they needed to improve on, Elway did, Vick, name me a QB and I can name you things they needed to improve upon.

Finally, if there is one legacy McDaniels left behind, a legacy Elway is most certainly aware of, you don't come in and tinker with the QB position off the bat. It is clear this team has more pressing needs than the QB position and those needs should be dealt with first. QB can be addressed later even if it needs be a HIGH draft pick.

tomjonesrocks
01-05-2011, 11:39 PM
I want the talent of Luck but definitely feel like you want Tebow on your team. I wish Denver hadn't taken him in the first round (or the scads of draft picks burned trading inexplicably back up to get him) but attitude is infectious so it's not bad he's around.

Tebow obviously needs lots of work though. Elway would look stupid suggesting otherwise.

Northman
01-05-2011, 11:43 PM
Oh look, Honz part duex.

I cant believe so many people fell for this. haha

Northman
01-05-2011, 11:45 PM

Indeed. Mallet was terrible against OSU but Gabbert single handidly gave the Hawkeyes a victory in their bowl game. Worst INT ive ever seen when he stared the defender down and threw it right too him. I wonder if he had money on that game? :lol:

Northman
01-05-2011, 11:48 PM
If Tebow becomes our franchise QB, he will have beat the odds. He will have proved everyone wrong, not right. It's as simple as that. I want the guy to succeed too, but you shouldn't expect him to. I hope Elway is smart enough to realize that, and then it'll be up to the organization to decide whether or not it's worth it to take a risk with Tebow.

And what John stated was that 3 games wasnt enough. So while we are talking about people being ridiculous the same can easily apply to those who have already written him off. ;)

robert ethan
01-05-2011, 11:58 PM
The only difference between Luck and Gabbert is in the past season, in terms of Luck looking better. Both came out of high school at the same time and attended the All America combines together. Gabbert was a 5 star recruit and rated the #1 PRO STYLE QB of the class. Luck was 4 star and rated the #4 pro style QB of the class. As true freshmen, Gabbert got into a handful of games (behind Chase Daniels) and acquitted himself well. Luck redshirted. The next year (2009) Gabbert threw for over 3500 yards with 24 TDs and a 59% completion rate. Luck threw for about half that with 13 TDs and a 56% completion rate. Last season, Gabbert lost his two best receivers and had a decent but not outstanding year. Luck had a great season in Stanford on a stacked team. But if you throw that out, Gabbert is a bit younger, a bit bigger, a bit faster, and has a stronger arm than Luck. So unless you want to base everything on their situations in the past season, (not that Gabbert was bad by any means) there isn't much to choose between the two. If Luck is a lock for #1 overall, it's NOT ANY KIND OF STRETCH to pick Gabbert right behind him. With every chance that Blaine will become the better pro QB.

BroncoStud
01-06-2011, 12:06 AM
Why is everyone forgetting Locker? Had he come out last year he would have been the #1 QB taken, probably ahead of Bradford. No way Gabbert goes ahead of Locker. McShay is a dumbass, how often has he been right? Almost never.

robert ethan
01-06-2011, 12:11 AM
I think that Mallett and Locker are nearly two years older than some of the other guys at the top of the list. That will make a difference. I think that Mallett will end up the last of the group to go off the board. After Luck, Gabbert, Newton, and Locker.

Northman
01-06-2011, 12:11 AM
The only difference between Luck and Gabbert is in the past season, in terms of Luck looking better. Both came out of high school at the same time and attended the All America combines together. Gabbert was a 5 star recruit and rated the #1 PRO STYLE QB of the class. Luck was 4 star and rated the #4 pro style QB of the class. As true freshmen, Gabbert got into a handful of games (behind Chase Daniels) and acquitted himself well. Luck redshirted. The next year (2009) Gabbert threw for over 3500 yards with 24 TDs and a 59% completion rate. Luck threw for about half that with 13 TDs and a 56% completion rate. Last season, Gabbert lost his two best receivers and had a decent but not outstanding year. Luck had a great season in Stanford on a stacked team. But if you throw that out, Gabbert is a bit younger, a bit bigger, a bit faster, and has a stronger arm than Luck. So unless you want to base everything on their situations in the past season, (not that Gabbert was bad by any means) there isn't much to choose between the two. If Luck is a lock for #1 overall, it's NOT ANY KIND OF STRETCH to pick Gabbert right behind him. With every chance that Blaine will become the better pro QB.

Its all irrelevant since Denver will go defense anyway.

Northman
01-06-2011, 12:16 AM
Why is everyone forgetting Locker? Had he come out last year he would have been the #1 QB taken, probably ahead of Bradford. No way Gabbert goes ahead of Locker. McShay is a dumbass, how often has he been right? Almost never.

Not sure about Locker but watching his game against Nebraska he played some good ball. Right now if i had to rank the top 5 prospects i would rank them like this:

Andrew Luck
Ryan Mallet
Jake Locker
Blaine Gabbert
Cam Newton

And some could argue Newton being higher considering the opposition he faced in the SEC. But im pretty comfortable with that ranking.

Cugel
01-06-2011, 12:30 AM
I am NOT a great Tebow fan right now, but did ANY of you actually LISTEN to the Elway interview? :coffee:

"Well, whether Tim is ready to go right now, I think that is in question. . . . [inaudible question]

"I don't think a coach is going to say that to be dead honest with you. I don't think anybody's going to come in here [and say that] . . . Everybody knows what Tim Tebow is about. And so there's still a question. You've got guys way over here [holds out arm] who think that 'there's no way." You've got guys over here [holds out other arm] who think that, you know. There's not a lot of guys in the middle. But, I think that anybody who comes in here and is going to be around Tim Tebow is going to understand that this guy is something special as a man and as a person and is going to be willing to work with him to ensure that he's going to be able to become the player that he wants to become. So, I don't think that anybody is going to come in and say 'I don't want Tim Tebow.' And if he is, then maybe he's not the right guy for the job."

I wouldn't say there's anything ambiguous about that, would you? Elway flatly says that any coach that doesn't want to coach Tim Tebow "isn't the right man for the job."

I don't see how he could be clearer than that. If you want to coach the Denver Broncos, you're going to have to accept that Tebow is your QB and your career is likely to stand or fall with him.

I think that attitude is MILES different than it was when McDaniels came in. It's highly ironic. Cutler had just been to the Pro-bowl and was (and is) a MUCH more highly polished and better QB than Tebow is now. Yet the Broncos organization let McDaniels try and trade him and run him out of town.

Maybe they've learned something from their mistake. Because the new coach is NOT going to have carte blanche to just get "his own QB." He's going to have to be willing to sink or swim with Tebow -- at least for next season, and probably for 2012 as well.

And it makes perfect sense. The Broncos are NOT going to get Andrew Luck, so that debate is over. Maybe Luck is the next Manning, but Denver is the San Diego chargers and they're stuck at #2. And there's only ONE Luck. :coffee:

Tim Tebow right now is about as good as any other prospect in the draft. He's already had a year studying and learning how to play in the NFL and had 3 starts to begin his learning process.

There's really no reason to favor some other QB like Cam Newton or Ryan Mallett over him. It's all a crap-shoot. Either might wind up better than Tebow, in the long-run, but right now, there's not really any evidence that either is such an amazing prospect that the Broncos would dump Tebow for them! So, why switch? You've already got Tebow, so keep him and develop him for a year or two and see what happens.

Then if he busts, you find another franchise QB. But, as of now, he's about as good a prospect as any of the QBs in the draft.

So, the Broncos concentrate on defense and take Bowers or Patrick Peterson. :coffee:

MacGruder
01-06-2011, 12:34 AM
John just knows that Tebow is not yet an NFL quarterback, he needs to be coached and needs to develop because he is not a natural pocket passing quarterback yet. But I never got once that he didn’t like him, he loves the kid…but like he said, “He’s a darn good football player, but we need him to be a darn good quarterback”.

I disagree with this completely.. Tebow is the opposite of most elite QBs in the NFL today. Most elite Qbs are like Bradford.. GREAT dink and dunk cookie cutter passers.

Tebow is unique because he excels in all the areas most QBs don't and is weak in the areas most Qbs are best at. I would MUCH MUCH rather have the guy like Tebow that just needs to refine the technicalities as Brandon Lloyd said but is strong in the far more rare abilities.

silkamilkamonico
01-06-2011, 01:04 AM

SMH

I see what you're doing.

robert ethan
01-06-2011, 01:08 AM
I'm not advocating the team give up on Tebow by any means. It just sets them back a couple years in terms of long term success. But I'd never heard Elway be that enthusiastic about Tim before, and if he is, why was McDaniels canned? It seemed to me that the moment Elway started to move in on the team, Josh was fired. I believe it was his first act of business as the "not quite yet" head of football operations.

Obviously Tebow thought it was a concern, since he went to management immediately afterwards and asked for clarification on his status. At the time of the draft everyone tied McDaniels future to how Tebow panned out. Tim seems to be doing fine, but Josh is gone. I don't think it's going to be much consolation if he is told 3 years from now, "Dang, you sure were right about the kid, Josh. Thanks a lot.". The other aspect being that McDaniels has a solid background as a developer of quarterbacks and builder of systems that suit their skills. Who is going to be better for Tebow's development than Josh would have?

A lot of the rhetoric coming out of Dove Valley doesn't jive with the reality. Hasn't for some time now.

Northman
01-06-2011, 01:13 AM
McDaniels was severely overrated.

MacGruder
01-06-2011, 01:29 AM
I'm not advocating the team give up on Tebow by any means. It just sets them back a couple years in terms of long term success. But I'd never heard Elway be that enthusiastic about Tim before, and if he is, why was McDaniels canned? It seemed to me that the moment Elway started to move in on the team, Josh was fired. I believe it was his first act of business as the "not quite yet" head of football operations.

I thought Bowlen said it was all about Spygate and the fan outcry. It wasn't even about the losing.

Obviously Tebow thought it was a concern, since he went to management immediately afterwards and asked for clarification on his status.

He probably wasn't in the know about Spygate either.

At the time of the draft everyone tied McDaniels future to how Tebow panned out. Tim seems to be doing fine, but Josh is gone. I don't think it's going to be much consolation if he is told 3 years from now, "Dang, you sure were right about the kid, Josh. Thanks a lot.". The other aspect being that McDaniels has a solid background as a developer of quarterbacks and builder of systems that suit their skills. Who is going to be better for Tebow's development than Josh would have?

Josh may have been the ideal, or one of th ideals, but that doesn't mean Tebow can't be great with others. Having a more experienced coach may not be a bad thing. It's got negatives and positives.

Dapper Dan
01-06-2011, 01:31 AM
I am NOT a great Tebow fan right now, but did ANY of you actually LISTEN to the Elway interview? :coffee:

"Well, whether Tim is ready to go right now, I think that is in question. . . . [inaudible question]

I wouldn't say there's anything ambiguous about that, would you? Elway flatly says that any coach that doesn't want to coach Tim Tebow "isn't the right man for the job."

I don't see how he could be clearer than that. If you want to coach the Denver Broncos, you're going to have to accept that Tebow is your QB and your career is likely to stand or fall with him.

I think that attitude is MILES different than it was when McDaniels came in. It's highly ironic. Cutler had just been to the Pro-bowl and was (and is) a MUCH more highly polished and better QB than Tebow is now. Yet the Broncos organization let McDaniels try and trade him and run him out of town.

Maybe they've learned something from their mistake. Because the new coach is NOT going to have carte blanche to just get "his own QB." He's going to have to be willing to sink or swim with Tebow -- at least for next season, and probably for 2012 as well.

And it makes perfect sense. The Broncos are NOT going to get Andrew Luck, so that debate is over. Maybe Luck is the next Manning, but Denver is the San Diego chargers and they're stuck at #2. And there's only ONE Luck. :coffee:

Tim Tebow right now is about as good as any other prospect in the draft. He's already had a year studying and learning how to play in the NFL and had 3 starts to begin his learning process.

There's really no reason to favor some other QB like Cam Newton or Ryan Mallett over him. It's all a crap-shoot. Either might wind up better than Tebow, in the long-run, but right now, there's not really any evidence that either is such an amazing prospect that the Broncos would dump Tebow for them! So, why switch? You've already got Tebow, so keep him and develop him for a year or two and see what happens.

Then if he busts, you find another franchise QB. But, as of now, he's about as good a prospect as any of the QBs in the draft.

So, the Broncos concentrate on defense and take Bowers or Patrick Peterson. :coffee:

I was about to say that. I'm glad you did. :salute:

robert ethan
01-06-2011, 01:35 AM
McDaniels was severely overrated.

Apparently the 49ers called Josh tonight after talks with Hardball hit the wall.:beer:

Northman
01-06-2011, 01:36 AM
Apparently the 49ers called Josh tonight after talks with Hardball hit the wall.:beer:

I didnt realize they needed a waterboy.

robert ethan
01-06-2011, 01:43 AM
Maybe Josh will draft Gabbert for the Niners...:D

Northman
01-06-2011, 01:44 AM
Maybe Josh will draft Gabbert for the Niners...:D

Well, there's no doubt that whoever is HC will be taking a QB. But if he is hired when do you bail here to go to the Niner board?

BroncoWave
01-06-2011, 01:45 AM

It's being reported by multiple sources that he is in early discussions for their head coaching job. Personally, I hope he gets it. It will be fun to serve crow to everyone who said he would never be a head coach in the NFL again.

Northman
01-06-2011, 01:47 AM
It's being reported by multiple sources that he is in early discussions for their head coaching job. Personally, I hope he gets it. It will be fun to serve crow to everyone who said he would never be a head coach in the NFL again.

Either that or they are severly desperate. After so many failed attempts at HC lately they are quickly becoming the Raiders.

DenBronx
01-06-2011, 02:28 AM

hey after the spygate 2 he should know their offense pretty well.

BroncoWave
01-06-2011, 02:31 AM
hey after the spygate 2 he should know their offense pretty well.

I dunno, didn't seem to know it too well during the game!

BroncoStud
01-06-2011, 02:56 AM

They don't, Josh is interviewing for towel boy.

Simple Jaded
01-06-2011, 02:57 AM

Boner time!

Denver could probably get Patrick Willis, Frank Gore, Vernon/Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati and anybody else with talent.......l figure that all Denver would have to give up is The Blue Jesus and two No1's that Brian Xanders has no idea how to use in the first place. What the hell, throw in Lonie Paxton just for shits and grins.

Go get Luck or Mallett and hedge your bets, John! Why compound epic incompetence by forcing McDaniels' mistakes on the next HC? Better yet, go get Luck/Mallett and trade The Blue Jesus for a 12-pack and a large pizza, let some other team figure it out.......

TimBuff10
01-06-2011, 02:58 AM

This is about the only post in this thread that makes any sense... Most of you Tebow homers jumped on it and love to argue.

And another thing. Elway DID NOT say that the incoming coach has to be a Tebow guy and they won't hire anyone who will try to get rid of him. What he said is that whoever comes in as HC needs to look at the film and see Tebow work in person before they make a decision. The guy deserves a chance but he doesn't yet deserve to be named the starter next year.

TimBuff10
01-06-2011, 03:01 AM
It will be intersting to see how/if Elway changes his tune on Tebow now that he is putting his reputation behind this decision. In the past it was easy for him to be behind Tebow because he was just a fan basically and wasnt going to say anything negative about anyone.

Now he is doing this as a job... You still won't hear negative things but the actions they take over the next few months including the draft will tell you what Elway and brass really think about Tebow.

Cugel
01-06-2011, 12:57 PM
I'm not advocating the team give up on Tebow by any means. It just sets them back a couple years in terms of long term success. But I'd never heard Elway be that enthusiastic about Tim before, and if he is, why was McDaniels canned?

Gee! Let's see! What COULD McDaniels possibly have done that would make anybody want to FIRE him? Hmmmn. Could it perhaps be that going 3-11 this year and losing 8 out of their last 10 games LAST year had a little something to do with it? :coffee:

And just maybe getting rid of all the GOOD players he inherited from Shanahan like Peyton Hillis and putting in a bunch of STIFFS like Laurence Maroney?

Or how about drafting Knowshon Moreno and Robert Ayers in the first round and getting nothing out of either one of them? Or perhaps it could be wasting a 1st round draft pick to get Alphonso Smith and then trading him for a used condom?

Or perhaps, looking back at what John said, and here's a shocker!, Elway actually convinced Bowlen that the FANS, the ones who pay for his gourmet dinners at places like Elway's restaurant, are actually PISSED OFF at the mis-management in Dove Valley and are wondering W T F Bowlen is doing there each day besides twiddling his thumbs? And that they might NOT actually show up and buy tickets next season if Josh McDaniels stuck around. :coffee:

So many choices! It's tough to know what the straw that broke the camel's back was exactly.

Cugel
01-06-2011, 01:10 PM

Good! Does that mean you'll go and join their forum if their management has a total BRAIN SEIZURE and hires that imbecile? :coffee:

robert ethan
01-06-2011, 01:32 PM
Good! Does that mean you'll go and join their forum if their management has a total BRAIN SEIZURE and hires that imbecile? :coffee:

You have to relax, Cudgel. Your heart monitor is beeping. I like McDaniels and I think a lot of football executives do as well. He would be a hundred times better for any team than Plastic Ken Doll Harbaugh. That guy makes me ill.

lgenf
01-06-2011, 01:39 PM
the only thing anyone needs to know in this posting is that the Broncos are not drafting a QB

there are too many holes in the rest of the team to worry about that have nothing to do with QB

the QB might not be elite, maybe we will be, but he's good enough (want proof?) how about those last three games, with the same defense Orton had all year he won 1 and was battling for a last second victory in another, and had it not been for pitiful play calling in Oakland (he hands were tied the entire game) they might have made that a game also. No running game and the same people in uniform as Orton had, and three games experience.

Next year will be different, but no one knows how good, in fact no one knows how good or bad TT will be. He will work at it, and maybe never be an ELITE, but how many elites have been in the NFL, not every team gets one, and somehow teams manage to make the playoffs each year and win games.

QB isn't going to be an issue this year, maybe later but not now.

Love or Hate TT - no matter, he will be the QB next year and the team has to get better around him in this off season

I Eat Staples
01-06-2011, 04:24 PM
my oh my. I think this post if full of it. But one part in particular really struck out.

"tebow is not supposed to be a great nfl qb"

Are you serious? wtf does that mean? He is not supposed to be a great nfl QB. It makes no sense, at all.

Why is he not supposed to be a great nfl qb? Who says he is not supposed to be a great nfl qb? Is it his PASSING records he set in college that mean he is not supposed to be a great nfl qb. Is it the fact that the dude flat out wins and that is what NFL qbs are judged on. By wins and losses. not stats or anything else but wins and losses.

This has to go down as an all time worst right here.

What is so hard to understand about "he isn't supposed to be a good NFL QB?" That doesn't mean he can't become one, but like I said, it would be beating the odds. Tom Brady wasn't supposed to be good. JaMarcus Russell was supposed to be good. Obviously supposed to doesn't mean anything in many occasions, but you can't change the consensus opinion.

He's never failed at any level of football ever. He's had as good a first three game start as you could hope for any rookie on a team in the shape that this team is in and yet people like you assume he'll fail because he looks funny when he throws? Or because he doesn't yet read defenses like a seasoned vet (as if any rookie does).

I will never understand how anyone could support Orton and claim Tebow will fail. It makes zero sense to me. But go ahead and worship at the sacred mechanics ground which has touted the likes of Jeff George and JaMarcus Russell, I'll put my money on the dude who has done nothing but win, prove doubters wrong, and succeed at every level of football in which he's been given time.

I don't know about George, but Russell didn't have great mechanics. Scouts just fell in love with his size and cannon arm. I never expected him to be that good, although nobody expected him to be historically bad.

Just so I don't seem like I'm acting like a know it all, I would have taken Brady Quinn in the top 5. :laugh:

I Eat Staples
01-06-2011, 04:27 PM

I hope he gets it as well, it will be fun to serve crow to everyone who said he'd be a good HC when he inevitably fails again.

chazoe60
01-06-2011, 04:29 PM
I hope he gets it as well, it will be fun to serve crow to everyone who said he'd be a good HC when he inevitably fails again.

I hope he gets it too, Willis would look awesome in orange and blue.

jhildebrand
01-06-2011, 04:45 PM

As critical as I was of McDaniels, I always maintained that I liked him as a coach and from an X's and O's standpoint. The problem here is he had too much control-whether it was intended or not. He will fail elsewhere if given the same amount of control. In fact, any coach will fail with that kind of power. Today's NFL has changed and all power coaches just don't work in the long run anymore.

ydave77
01-06-2011, 06:29 PM
What is so hard to understand about "he isn't supposed to be a good NFL QB?" That doesn't mean he can't become one, but like I said, it would be beating the odds. Tom Brady wasn't supposed to be good. JaMarcus Russell was supposed to be good. Obviously supposed to doesn't mean anything in many occasions, but you can't change the consensus opinion.

I don't know about George, but Russell didn't have great mechanics. Scouts just fell in love with his size and cannon arm. I never expected him to be that good, although nobody expected him to be historically bad.

Just so I don't seem like I'm acting like a know it all, I would have taken Brady Quinn in the top 5. :laugh:

I guess the issue is that although you would imagine scouts would have better tools to evaluate who will progress, and who wont, I don't know how much better they are than monkeys throwing darts.

I would venture that over 50% of the first rd QB drafted over the past 10 years are busts. Yes its an arbitrary #, my belief would be its even higher, but a simple google search didnt give me an easy way to look. If anyone is looking it up I'd say 1997-2007 to give the customary 3 years to decide.

Just saying, that I would take his performance under more consideration over the last 3 games than his previous scouting report. I believe we saw enough potential, to say he is better than what was expected. Half the scouts out there said he shouldnt even be drafted as a QB at all, and couldnt play the position. I think at the very least he has proven he can play QB. Will he be a reat QB, will he be a good QB, will he be a starting QB, or just a backup? Who knows. But if you're sugesting he isnt better than Chris Simms, or or half the backups in the league, thats nuts. And if the scouts and GMs were already wrong about that, what else are they missing?

We can all read the last 3 games through the lens of our own bias though. You obviously have a pre-concieved idea that he cant play QB, so you look for that. I am hoping he saves our floundering franchise, and can be a great QB, so I look for that.
In the last three games, Tebow gave us both an opportunity to find what we were looking for.

Ravage!!!
01-06-2011, 06:41 PM
Honestly. What I saw on the field those last three games, wasn't more than I expected to see when we drafted him. Not a good passer, and one that runs a LOT (tooooo much). So there is still a VERY VERY long ways to go before Tebow ever becomes the franchise QB we need.

PAINTERDAVE
01-06-2011, 06:43 PM
As critical as I was of McDaniels, I always maintained that I liked him as a coach and from an X's and O's standpoint. The problem here is he had too much control-whether it was intended or not. He will fail elsewhere if given the same amount of control. In fact, any coach will fail with that kind of power. Today's NFL has changed and all power coaches just don't work in the long run anymore.

On The Fan.. they reported that Josh was not interested in the SF job...
and as his reason... they said that McD's spokesperson said that he did not like the FO setup.
SF just hired Baalke as GM...
So basicly Josh does not want a HC job where he has to report to a GM...
In other words he thinks he will get another HC job somwhere with the full package of GM and HC duties.

Amazing.

Lancane
01-06-2011, 06:45 PM
I hope he gets it too, Willis would look awesome in orange and blue.

"Whatcha talkin' bout Willis?"

:D

Lancane
01-06-2011, 06:46 PM
On The Fan.. they reported that Josh was not interested in the SF job...
and as his reason... they said that McD's spokesperson said that he did not like the FO setup.
SF just hired Baalke as GM...
So basicly Josh does not want a HC job where he has to report to a GM...
In other words he thinks he will get another HC job somwhere with the full package of GM and HC duties.

Amazing.

He said he's not interested and for that reason, but Oakland's interested, wonder what is going to happen on that front?

PAINTERDAVE
01-06-2011, 06:48 PM
Honestly. What I saw on the field those last three games, wasn't more than I expected to see when we drafted him. Not a good passer, and one that runs a LOT (tooooo much). So there is still a VERY VERY long ways to go before Tebow ever becomes the franchise QB we need.

Yep. He has a lot to learn. He will admit it himself.
But everything he needs to learn... IS learnable.

The rest of the package he already has is impressive.

He has enough for us to go forward with now, in the 2011 season.

Time will tell if he can put it all together.

Building a defense is a huge priority.

Go Broncos 2011 :defense:

PAINTERDAVE
01-06-2011, 06:50 PM
He said he's not interested and for that reason, but Oakland's interested, wonder what is going to happen on that front?

LOL.. Josh and Al... together. It boggles the mind.

claymore
01-06-2011, 06:52 PM

It gets worse when you watch the replays over. It seriously looks like we ran out of QB's and a FB/ or MLB is back their throwing the ball.

robert ethan
01-06-2011, 07:02 PM
Tebow had the best passer rating, highest YPA, best TD to Int ratio, best 1st down %, of all rookie QBs. If he looks so terrible to you, what about the other guys? The only stat he didn't lead in was completion %, but that's because the other rookies were throwing all their passes behind the line of scrimmage.

turftoad
01-06-2011, 07:04 PM
Tebow had the best passer rating, highest YPA, best TD to Int ratio, best 1st down %, of all rookie QBs. If he looks so terrible to you, what about the other guys? The only stat he didn't lead in was completion %, but that's because the other rookies were throwing all their passes behind the line of scrimmage.

He only played three games. :tsk: I thought he played well but not enough yet to compare him to the others.

G_Money
01-06-2011, 07:05 PM
When John said basically that if a guy came in to interview for the head coaching position and said he didn't like Tebow then he might not be the right fit to coach the Broncos...that cleared up our QB situation quickly.

All I got from John was a willingness to wait on the Tebow Era for another year if the next coach thought it healthy to do so. We do have Orton under contract at the moment.

But Tebow's gonna be the guy.

I just hope he gets a great QB coach who can fix what ails him without trying to neuter what he does well.

And I hope that coach isn't John. :lol: When he was talking about how he can help the QBs, all I was thinking was how his pass coverage reads used to go when he was QB.

Elway: Okay Tim, so when you see three guys around your receiver, just throw it in there hard
Tebow: That doesn't sound right...
Elway: No, it's right. Real hard, so it bounces off the hands of the defenders and they can't intercept it.
Tebow: Are you sure?
Elway: You bet. I used to break fingers doin that. Then they can't pick you off the rest of the game either
Tebow: Okay...
Elway: And when you're in trouble, you take off too soon. You should scramble around for 5 or 6 seconds behind the line of scrimmage, then throw the ball 60 yards across your body to the other sideline. Got it?
Tebow: Uh...
Elway: Trust me, I got to the hall of fame this way.
Tebow: I'm so screwed...

:laugh: That's why you want a marginal QB to be the coach for the position - they had to do EVERYTHING right, so they know all the little details. John was best at sandlot football, and Tebow already has many of those skills.

We need him to get other skills.

~G

robert ethan
01-06-2011, 07:44 PM
Yeah, in a full season as a rookie, Elway had a 45% completion percentage, twice as many picks as touchdowns, and 8 total TDs passing and rushing. Tebow managed 11 TDs in 3 games and a bit.:rolleyes:

I Eat Staples
01-06-2011, 09:26 PM
In the last three games, Tebow gave us both an opportunity to find what we were looking for.

I'd say that's accurate. The 3 games weren't enough to change anyone's prior opinion of him, so the Tebow fans think he'll be the next Elway and the critics don't think he'll be a starter for long.

chazoe60
01-06-2011, 09:37 PM
I'd say that's accurate. The 3 games weren't enough to change anyone's prior opinion of him, so the Tebow fans think he'll be the next Elway and the critics don't think he'll be a starter for long.

I don't think he'll be the next Elway at all. I think he will be very successful, but I also think it will be very unconventional. I don't think Tebow will ever look like a normal QB, but I think the things he does will help this team win a lot of games in the future.

The one thing I took out of the three games more than anything is that with Tebow at the helm we will have a chance to win almost always. He figures out ways to succeed.

Now, I also think he definitely has to get better in the passing game, only the most delusional can't see that. But, every rookie QB has to get better at those things. Tebow also had the disadvantage of a coach change and what IMHO was a pieced together gameplan that seemed very "Fly By the seat of your pants" to me. I don't think McD planned on putting together full game packages for Tebow until at least next season and because of that I don't think the assistants knew quite what to do with him.

I have a lot of hope for Tebow as our franchise QB. I am realistic also. I see the things he needs to work on, but I also strongly believe that Tebow can and will improve enough to make it work.

One thing I am sure about, if this franchise has the guts to stick with this young man, we will be in for a damn fun ride. When he's on the field it is hard to take your eyes off of him. He is fun as Hell to watch.

robert ethan
01-07-2011, 02:22 AM
The QB in this draft who is spookily like the young John Elway is Gabbert. Looks a bit like Elway, had nearly identical college stats through his first 3 years. When Gabbert took over from Daniels at Missouri, his coach Pinkel compared him to Elway for his arm and his mobility. This being 2010 and not 1983, however, Blaine is a couple inches taller, 25 pounds heavier, and less geeky looking.:lol:

BroncoStud
01-07-2011, 02:26 AM
The QB in this draft who is spookily like the young John Elway is Gabbert. Looks a bit like Elway, had nearly identical college stats through his first 3 years. When Gabbert took over from Daniels at Missouri, his coach Pinkel compared him to Elway for his arm and his mobility. This being 2010 and not 1983, however, Blaine is a couple inches taller, 25 pounds heavier, and less geeky looking.:lol:

You're going to throw out stats in this argument???

Gabbert runs the freaking spread, the Pinkel Spread at that! Elway ran a pro-style offense in college, with a bad supporting cast. Gabbert's numbers should blow John's out of the water...

Gabbert isn't worthy of carrying the trash can that holds John Elway's jock. Give me a break, the guy looked good for a few games and looked average for a bunch of games. His arm isn't in the same hemisphere as Elway's.

Drafting Gabbert in the first 3 rounds would be a wasted pick. McShay is a dumbass. I wish I could get paid to be as wrong at my job as he is at his, Kiper too.

Northman
01-07-2011, 03:07 AM
You're going to throw out stats in this argument???

Gabbert runs the freaking spread, the Pinkel Spread at that! Elway ran a pro-style offense in college, with a bad supporting cast. Gabbert's numbers should blow John's out of the water...

Gabbert isn't worthy of carrying the trash can that holds John Elway's jock. Give me a break, the guy looked good for a few games and looked average for a bunch of games. His arm isn't in the same hemisphere as Elway's.

Drafting Gabbert in the first 3 rounds would be a wasted pick. McShay is a dumbass. I wish I could get paid to be as wrong at my job as he is at his, Kiper too.

Indeed. McShay said Tebow would be drafted in the 3rd. Oooops.

Sinthor
01-07-2011, 04:09 AM
I agree John was smiling from ear to ear when talking about tebow....what are you guys talking about? You guys are killing me...what press conference did you watch?

Yes, if you watch the whole conference he's actually VERY positive on Tebow overall. His first statement was just honest. Elway wasn't going to come in and after only 3 games state "Tebow's our guy, he will win us super bowls!" He just gave an honest opinion. Really, it could and would apply to ANY rookie QB, especially after only 3 games.

Elway also acknowledged that Tebow had been operating under some disadvantages, such as not being prepared to play, etc. He said everyone in the building had stated they would draft Tebow again if given the chance and even said he didn't think any coach would come in and no want to work with him and that if a coach DID say that, they might well go in a different direction as a result.

I just think Elway was being "no BS" about it. Seems pretty clear he WANTS Tebow to succeed, he was just honestly stating that there's more work to be done and that nothing's 100%.

PAINTERDAVE
01-07-2011, 04:15 AM
I remeber him saying that if a coach did not like Tebow....
he probably was the wrong coach for Denver.

I'll go hunt up the quote.

Lancane
01-07-2011, 04:44 AM
I remeber him saying that if a coach did not like Tebow....
he probably was the wrong coach for Denver.

I'll go hunt up the quote.

He also said "Tebow is a darn good football player, but we need him to be a darn good quarterback".

Everyone in the organization 'loves' Tebow, the problem isn't that, far from it. What they are more concerned about is turning him into a good quarterback, he's not there yet...I think plenty of us know that to be true and so do they.

MacGruder
01-07-2011, 05:07 AM
He also said "Tebow is a darn good football player, but we need him to be a darn good quarterback".

Everyone in the organization 'loves' Tebow, the problem isn't that, far from it. What they are more concerned about is turning him into a good quarterback, he's not there yet...I think plenty of us know that to be true and so do they.

I think he is "there".. it's just that he has such a unique skillset people can't recognize it. I think Elway may be stuck in his era on this as well.