PDA

View Full Version : Peter King's prediction on S.D. vs Denver

D1g1tal j1m
09-11-2008, 01:18 PM
King Predicts (http://www.fannation.com/peter_king_challenge/peter_king)

San Diego Chargers (0-1) at Denver Broncos (1-0)

Too many nicked up Chargers. Shawne Merriman takes a seat till 2009, and now LaDainian Tomlinson joins Antonio Gates with a bum toe. The Broncos are new and improved. Jay Cutler is going to be really good. He's got two good tackles to protect him -- Ryan Clady and Ryan Harris. This game could go a long way toward establishing Denver as a contender.

Prediction: Denver Broncos 30, San Diego Chargers 26

Rex
09-11-2008, 01:19 PM
I think Peter King is great. I love his articles.

CoachChaz
09-11-2008, 01:19 PM
I think he forgot the part about us not being able to stop a high school rushing attack

omac
09-11-2008, 01:29 PM
I think he forgot the part about us not being able to stop a high school rushing attack

I wasn't paying too much attention ... why couldn't we stop them? Was it our DEs, DTs, or LBs? Was it to one side, the middle, etc? Or was it just bad quarterbacking from our MLB (or WLB if DJ calls the plays)?

56crash
09-11-2008, 01:29 PM

you say that but Tomas was out most of the game that , and we gave up junk jards on the ground late ..

56crash
09-11-2008, 01:36 PM
I wasn't paying too much attention ... why couldn't we stop them? Was it our DEs, DTs, or LBs? Was it to one side, the middle, etc? Or was it just bad quarterbacking from our MLB (or WLB if DJ calls the plays)?

We are fine don't let the skys falling post get to you . we were great a getting the other team off the field and in the end that is what we want . we just hve consenticy problems . not personnel problems of last year people need to get a grip...

We are not deep and if we suffer a injorie at DT we are total screwed as we already lost our rookie DT and IMO we are very thin at DT as it was .

56crash
09-11-2008, 01:40 PM
look up 3rd down efficiency . if that don't make you smile you are not a Broncos fan

LRtagger
09-11-2008, 01:51 PM
I'm surprised he has Seattle putting up 40 points. They started pulling bums off the corner to try out for WR. Actually I think they just signed Sammie Parker to be their #1 ha

CoachChaz
09-11-2008, 01:52 PM
I don't know if I'd call 60+ first half rushing yards a farce, but okay. We still let Fargas and a Rookie run for 150 total yards. I'm not overly concerned...but I'm not confident either.

broncofaninfla
09-11-2008, 02:22 PM
I don't know if I'd call 60+ first half rushing yards a farce, but okay. We still let Fargas and a Rookie run for 150 total yards. I'm not overly concerned...but I'm not confident either.

Our Defense will show up for this game. We might not be where we need to be defensively but we are moving in the right direction. It's game #2 and it's the Chargers, time to support the team, not rip them. :salute:

haroldthebarrel
09-11-2008, 02:36 PM

A lot of those yards were on third and long. McFadden had a ten yard run up the middle on third and 20, and Fargas had a run of nine yards on third and 20.
The longest run from Fargas was in the end of the fourth when they just ran on a third and four in the fourth quarter down 41-7. You don't expect a run then or should you? I wouldnt.

I think that if you take these three runs into account, then the rushing yards are way different. On the other hand they might have ran a lot more on us if the game was closer. I also think that Oakland has a very good rushing offense, they were good last year, so overall it is pretty good.

I do expect us to be run upon, therefore I was kinda impressed with how decent the run defense was considering the lack of talent in the front seven.

Buff
09-11-2008, 02:46 PM
Fargas averaged 5.7 Yards per Carry

Mcfadden averaged 5.1 Yards per Carry

Combined they had 27 carries for 143 yards... That definitely leaves room for improvement any way you want to slice it.

haroldthebarrel
09-11-2008, 02:50 PM

Combined they had 27 carries for 143 yards... That definitely leaves room for improvement any way you want to slice it.

I am not saying it is not a concern. I am just saying I thought they did better than I personally expected.

Man, I think the game will be a shoot out. I do expect them to run for over 140 yards on us, so I'll take anything less than that as a bonus.
We are decent up the middle. We are not decent when they run the c gap or outside.

turftoad
09-11-2008, 02:50 PM

That and, it was the Raiders. They have a crap "O" Line.

haroldthebarrel
09-11-2008, 02:57 PM
That and, it was the Raiders. They have a crap "O" Line.

Not at run blocking and especially up the middle. Watch their games last year and they were pretty good. of course Harris and Green starting is shameful.

omac
09-11-2008, 03:57 PM
A lot of those yards were on third and long. McFadden had a ten yard run up the middle on third and 20, and Fargas had a run of nine yards on third and 20.
The longest run from Fargas was in the end of the fourth when they just ran on a third and four in the fourth quarter down 41-7. You don't expect a run then or should you? I wouldnt.

I think that if you take these three runs into account, then the rushing yards are way different. On the other hand they might have ran a lot more on us if the game was closer. I also think that Oakland has a very good rushing offense, they were good last year, so overall it is pretty good.

I do expect us to be run upon, therefore I was kinda impressed with how decent the run defense was considering the lack of talent in the front seven.

Those are good points; ofcourse we'll give up 10 yard runs at 3rd and 20, and that will pad the yardage totals. On those 2 plays alone, we gave up roughly 20 yards, so if they ran for 60 yards in the 1st half, it's more like 40 when they were actually trying to move the chains. That doesn't sound too bad.

underrated29
09-11-2008, 04:23 PM
well we should be stopping the run regardless of what the score is or how we are playing, but to also aid in our defense. Fargas had that one run of like 45 yards. He almost took it to the house but the saftey he beat managed to not fall down and turn around and chase him down.

that like 45 yard run also played a big part in their 140 or whatever it was runoffense.

LoyalSoldier
09-11-2008, 04:33 PM

Fargas had nothing till 3:42 to go in the 4th quarter. Prior to his big 42 yard run (When we were playing a soft zone) he had 15 carries for 55 yards or a magnificent 3.6 YPC average! Prior to the run the raiders as a whole had a 3.8 average so it wasn't quite a domination by the run although it wasn't as good as it could be either.

sanluis
09-11-2008, 04:42 PM
Looks like a very realistic prediction to me.

Mine is Chargers 42-31 in a shoot- out. LT throws, catches and runs for TDs. But that's just my take of the game. :lol:

NorthernLights
09-11-2008, 07:20 PM

Mine is Chargers 42-31 in a shoot- out. LT throws, catches and runs for TDs. But that's just my take of the game. :lol:

I have stopped with the predictions this year. I've found that I can't see into the future that well. I've resolved to watch and enjoy the games, cheer when they win, cheer harder when they lose. I'm looking forward to an entertaining game between two great teams and hoping neither team has any injuries.

Having expectations that aren't realized has been too difficult over the years, so I am trying a new approach.

claymore
09-11-2008, 07:37 PM
I have stopped with the predictions this year. I've found that I can't see into the future that well. I've resolved to watch and enjoy the games, cheer when they win, cheer harder when they lose. I'm looking forward to an entertaining game between two great teams and hoping neither team has any injuries.

Having expectations that aren't realized has been too difficult over the years, so I am trying a new approach.

Me too........ Im mainly about improvement. No injuries etc.........

Devilspawn
09-11-2008, 07:48 PM

I did see weakness in Denver's run defense. But if someone is weak at it, you don't do it all the time, as they'll get used to it and play expecting it. Kiffin's first 10 plays, 9 were runs. He didn't use play action or Zach Miller. Or Bush. Yes I am still venting.

Tomlinson's hurt, but the good news is that the all of a sudden fantasy BEAST named Michael Turner, who had 147 yards on 10 carries that game, is in Atlanta.

So is it Sproles now? He's no slouch either, see Indy playoff game. And the Chargers should mix it up more than Oakland did.

tomjonesrocks
09-11-2008, 09:34 PM
Like reading the positive comments--but Peter King is a joke. Just about every shred of inside info and prediction the guy has somehow fails to work out.

I don't have high hopes for this game--let me know when we've managed to even got 6pts against these guys--but will be dancing with glee if I'm proven wrong. I live in San Diego and have had to take a lot over the last few years over recent despicable performances.

omac
09-11-2008, 09:42 PM
I did see weakness in Denver's run defense. But if someone is weak at it, you don't do it all the time, as they'll get used to it and play expecting it. Kiffin's first 10 plays, 9 were runs. He didn't use play action or Zach Miller. Or Bush. Yes I am still venting.

Tomlinson's hurt, but the good news is that the all of a sudden fantasy BEAST named Michael Turner, who had 147 yards on 10 carries that game, is in Atlanta.

So is it Sproles now? He's no slouch either, see Indy playoff game. And the Chargers should mix it up more than Oakland did.

He was probably trying his best to protect JaMarcus, and besides being practically a rookie, I could see why. When he did make some good throws, his receivers dropped the ball.

This is why Lane Kiffin wanted to bring in some free agents to compete for roster slots and push the starters. But would Al let him do that? Nooooooo.

Shanny always makes his players compete for their jobs.

gobroncsnv
09-11-2008, 10:24 PM
Overall, we do need to tighten up on the edges for our run D... but ya gotta give props to Engleberger in run d. Watch the game, and you'll see his backside pursuit and non-stop motor. I don't think he provides much in pass rush, but he does play the run better than our other DE's.
My biggest concern besides run D is special teams. Our kicking game seems ok, rather good, in fact, but we have to cover the returns better than we did on Monday. The Raidies didn't even use Carr (their best from last year). Punts (all 2 of them!!!) were covered well, 1.5 yds avg, but we need to see better ko coverage. I think Hester could still dampen our moods had we played them. Need to tighten that up.

Thnikkaman
09-11-2008, 10:34 PM

I predict we will be seeing a lot of this from LT on Sunday:

http://cdn.faniq.com/images/photos/photo_large/95/35995-47.jpg

honz
09-11-2008, 10:54 PM

Hey, I have that action figure.

I think they call it "Primetime LT".

Sotally Tober
09-11-2008, 11:16 PM

That is ****** up! Didn't it come out right before the AFC Championship game too?
And that doesn't even look like Ladainian.

broncobryce
09-11-2008, 11:54 PM

Really? What was your prediction against the Panthers?:lol:

Sotally Tober
09-12-2008, 01:41 AM
Really? What was your prediction against the Panthers?:lol:

I don't know about his but mine was 24-23 Chargers of course. I got the Chargers score right. But the Panthers scored one extra field goal on my prediction.

gobroncsnv
09-12-2008, 06:45 AM

except for the pout... and the all-pro form he displays while he sits on that bench.

EastCoastBronco
09-12-2008, 08:53 AM
I know I'm getting way ahead of myself here but how nice would it be to hang some kind of NFL game scoring record on their asses in payment(with interest) for bending us over in that game where LT broke the TD record....
Perchance to dream....;-)

cpr940
09-12-2008, 09:03 AM

Going into the 4th quarter, the Raiders had 101 total yards, and the Broncos were up 24-7

So many of those rushing yards came in garbage time, that one is unable to make a reasonable assessment of how good/bad the rushing defense is.

tomjonesrocks
09-12-2008, 12:53 PM
That is ****** up! Didn't it come out right before the AFC Championship game too?

So hilarious. I believe you are correct on when that was sold. If the likeness weren't piss-poor I'd have bent over backwards to buy it to stick in my cube at work for all the Chargers fans to see. Shame too because no rendering of his face would have been necessary with the helmet and dark visor on.

jhns
09-12-2008, 12:56 PM
Going into the 4th quarter, the Raiders had 101 total yards, and the Broncos were up 24-7

So many of those rushing yards came in garbage time, that one is unable to make a reasonable assessment of how good/bad the rushing defense is.

I don't know about the yards but I'm pretty sure they had 0 points going into the 4th.

Northman
09-12-2008, 01:11 PM
Im a little surprised some Bronco fans are already throwing up the white flag. Even though there are still concerns with the defense unable to stop the run there are some other improvements. For starters, our offense doesnt have to settle for FG's every series which means being able to put up TD's is going to keep the pressure on Rivers and company to keep up. When the game is close Rivers tends to turn the ball over and make bad mistakes.

Merriman is their biggest threat on defense, he is also their biggest leader and he is out. Jay has yet another year under his belt and looks comfortable and confident leading this team. Royal has obviously opened the eyes of the league now which will only help to benefit Marshall in the passing attack. The running game offensively is still a concern but i would look for Shanny to mix up the play calling much like he did against the raiders and utilize Qb rollouts, screens, and sweeps to keep the Charger defense honest.

Even if we lose this game, it wont be by a blowout. I remember when we went into our Super Bowl with Green Bay everyone in the media and rival fans thought Denver was going to get blown out. I knew it wouldnt be the case even if we had lost that game. Sure, this team isnt the 98' Broncos but they are improved on offense and even the Indy Colts and K.C Chiefs have shown you can still win without a superior defense. We may not be SB bound but i can see us winning quite a few games this year if we get some lucky bounces. This game is no different.

BroncoJoe
09-12-2008, 01:39 PM
Interesting tidbit from FoxSports:

San Diego has won two straight in Denver for the first time since 1967-68. The Chargers have never won three in a row on the road against the Broncos, who have won their last eight home openers.