PDA

View Full Version : 1:30 MST Press Conference Today - Elway to be named VP of FB, Ellis promoted to President

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2011, 10:27 AM
Elway Joins Front Office

The team will hold a press conference today at 1:30 p.m. MST, which DenverBroncos.com will stream live. Check back for more on the addition of Elway to the front office later this afternoon.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Elway-Joins-Front-Office/b5a8ebe0-71e5-483d-bca5-9acdcf3877c5

ENGLEWOOD - Denver Broncos Hall of Fame Quarterback John Elway showed up for his first day of work in the team's front office on Wednesday.

Appropriately, No. 7 arrived at the Broncos' Dove Valley complex around 7 a.m., dressed in a blue shirt with an orange tie slung around his neck. (picture on link)

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=173672&catid=339

A news conference is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. Wednesday. You can watch it live on FOX 31 or on the web at KDVR.com.

http://www.kdvr.com/news/kdvr-elway-joins-broncos-010311,0,5403841.story

slim
01-05-2011, 10:31 AM
He arrived at 7 am?

I expect my FO executives to pull 16 hour days. Let's get it in gear, John.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2011, 10:38 AM
He arrived at 7 am?

Hey Slim - #7 arriving at 7:00 - has to be :lol:

Juriga72
01-05-2011, 10:44 AM
He arrived at 7 am?

Calm down.......LOL With it being Janurary... most if not all of John's golf dates are done.

I expect him to be on the links this early.......soon

BigDaddyBronco
01-05-2011, 10:47 AM
I hope he goes all "Blue47.....blue47.....hut.....hut" in his press conference.

slim
01-05-2011, 10:48 AM
I hope he lowers his shoulder and runs over Joe Ellis.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2011, 10:49 AM
John Elway introduced as Broncos new Exec. VP of Football Ops today.
Joe Ellis' title changed to President - with ultimate responsibility.:tsk::tsk:
21 minutes ago via web

http://twitter.com/adamschefter

Juriga72
01-05-2011, 10:50 AM

HOW did Joe get promoted?? Is his middle name Peter????

Juriga72
01-05-2011, 10:51 AM
I hope he goes all "Blue47.....blue47.....hut.....hut" in his press conference.

I would love to see the Cal players re-enact "The play" thru the media.....LMAO

Tned
01-05-2011, 11:41 AM
http://twitter.com/adamschefter

I saw Adam's original tweet, and don't remember seeing any :tsk: :tsk:'s in it.

By the way, I think I told you that Elway would almost certainly report to Ellis. Not sure why this surprises anyone. It makes the most sense.

slim
01-05-2011, 11:45 AM

By the way, I think I told you that Elway would almost certainly report to Ellis. Not sure why this surprises anyone. It makes the most sense.

It makes no sense.

Ellis should have been fired.

Northman
01-05-2011, 11:46 AM

Well, if any of that crap is true on the facebook page it says that Ellis will have total control over things which to me tells me Elway will be more like a consultant rather than really in charge but who knows.

Northman
01-05-2011, 11:48 AM
This is what was stated no there,

As Team President, Joe Ellis will have ultimate responsibility over the entire organization.

slim
01-05-2011, 11:50 AM
Well, if any of that crap is true on the facebook page it says that Ellis will have total control over things which to me tells me Elway will be more like a consultant rather than really in charge but who knows.

If that is true, then what is the point?

I am hoping that Elway will be in charge of football operations and Ellis can stick to marketing.

I will wait until the press conference before I melt down, but I am very underwhelmed by the FO "restructuring" so far.

camdisco24
01-05-2011, 11:51 AM
I have a feeling Ellis won't be telling Mr. Elway "no" very often though....

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2011, 11:51 AM
John Elway, you knew about. The Broncos officially named him executive vice president of football operations this morning. Post columnist Woody Paige reported the deal was consummated at 6 p.m. Tuesday.

That Brian Xanders was retained as general manager had also been previously reported.

What wasn't known until the Broncos sent out their press release today was that Joe Ellis, who had been the club's chief operating officer, was promoted to team president.

Broncos owner Pat Bowlen will remain chief executive officer, but hands off his President title to Ellis.

What that means is Ellis is officially running the team on a day-to-day basis. He had been the past two years, anyway. But now, it's clear.

Elway reports to Ellis. Bowlen remains owner but stays in the background.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17015369

Tned
01-05-2011, 11:52 AM
It makes no sense.

I disagree on both counts.

slim
01-05-2011, 11:56 AM
I have a feeling Ellis won't be telling Mr. Elway "no" very often though....

I hope you are right.

I don't want Ellis making any football decisions.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2011, 11:57 AM
Now, we know why it was Ellis who headed up the press conference when Josh was fired - now we know why Ellis stated that he takes FULL responsibility for putting too much on Josh.

I certainly hope, with Ellis now being officially promoted to president, that he has learned from his mistakes, because if not, things may not get any better.

NightTrainLayne
01-05-2011, 11:59 AM
In my mind, naming elway VP of Football Operations tells me that Elway will be in charge of what's most important to us fans. . .the actual team with input and help from Xanders.

So what if he reports to Ellis? Could Ellis or Bowlen overrule him? Sure, but you don't give someone that position with the intention of micro-managing them.

The question is going to be whether or not Elway with Xanders as his side-kick can do the job we need done. I don't forsee Ellis and Bowlen micro-managing the football operations side (they haven't up until now).

Elway's an upgrade GM-wise to what we've had the last two seasons, so I guess we'll see how much of an upgrade we've made over the next 2-3 seasons.

slim
01-05-2011, 12:00 PM
In my mind, naming elway VP of Football Operations tells me that Elway will be in charge of what's most important to us fans. . .the actual team with input and help from Xanders.

So what if he reports to Ellis? Could Ellis or Bowlen overrule him? Sure, but you don't give someone that position with the intention of micro-managing them.

The question is going to be whether or not Elway with Xanders as his side-kick can do the job we need done. I don't forsee Ellis and Bowlen micro-managing the football operations side (they haven't up until now).

Elway's an upgrade GM-wise to what we've had the last two seasons, so I guess we'll see how much of an upgrade we've made over the next 2-3 seasons.

Keep talking and I might come down from the ledge.

Northman
01-05-2011, 12:02 PM

Dont know truthfully. If Elway is answering to Ellis than that can mean anything. If Ellis has no spine than he will be just a yes man to Elway. If Ellis is doing his job he will tell Elway what its going to be and he will have to like it. If Bowlen wanted Elway to be the end all he should just make it so but im guessing there is a reason why Ellis will have the power. Hopefully it all turns out well but im skeptical.

NightTrainLayne
01-05-2011, 12:02 PM
Keep talking and I might come down from the ledge.

Where Ellis/Bowlen went wrong was giving McD too much control. They didn't micro-manage McD, and to be honest he needed some micro-management on the personnel side.

If they could be more or less hands-off with McD, I'm sure they can be with Elway.

It's up to Elway to get it done. The results of that, I don't know.

GEM
01-05-2011, 12:04 PM
HOW did Joe get promoted?? Is his middle name Peter????

He needed to show his position to Elway. He went sniveling to Bowlen and said....it needs to be announced that I have more power than Elway. Make the announcement.

NightTrainLayne
01-05-2011, 12:05 PM
Dont know truthfully. If Elway is answering to Ellis than that can mean anything. If Ellis has no spine than he will be just a yes man to Elway. If Ellis is doing his job he will tell Elway what its going to be and he will have to like it. If Bowlen wanted Elway to be the end all he should just make it so but im guessing there is a reason why Ellis will have the power. Hopefully it all turns out well but im skeptical.

There is more to running an NFL Organization, than just the team on the field.

There's marketing, ticket office, merchandise, stadium/office space leases etc. etc. Ellis is in charge of all of that as president.

I doubt he micromanages the distribution of tickets, but the ticket office manager reports to him. Just as Elway will report to him about the "Football Operations" side.

I could very well be wrong, but I think it's more reasonable to approach it in this direction until proven wrong.

Tned
01-05-2011, 12:05 PM

Think of this the way the Shanahan/Bowlen relationship was. Granted, there were issues with him being head coach and GM, but in terms of his VP of Football Operations title.

Bowlen was President and Shanahan was VP of Football. Shanahan had full control of football operations, but reported to Bowlen.

It sounds like the same will happen here, but now it will be Elway reporting to Ellis. So, Ellis is going to have overrule/veto power, but presumably if Elway is the right guy for the job, he will be running the football side of things, just like Shanny did.

Now, we know why it was Ellis who headed up the press conference when Josh was fired - now we know why Ellis stated that he takes FULL responsibility for putting too much on Josh.

I certainly hope, with Ellis now being officially promoted to president, that he has learned from his mistakes, because if not, things may not get any better.

I think if you rewatch that, you will find he said "we" and referred to Mr. Bowlen always giving coaches full control.

I know a lot of people want to make Ellis into a scapegoat, and I have no doubt he should take some of the blame, but if you sit back and think about it, this move is what most of you have been wanting. A structure where the HC is not in total control, which is what happened with Shanahan and Elway.

Ellis has FAR, FAR more experience in NFL operations than Elway, so it would make no sense to have Elway running the whole show, unless Bowlen was going to be highly hands on to keep the Broncos a viable NFL club.

As that clearly isn't in the cards anymore, there needs to be someone running the company, and Ellis is clearly the most qualified.

Tned
01-05-2011, 12:07 PM
He needed to show his position to Elway. He went sniveling to Bowlen and said....it needs to be announced that I have more power than Elway. Make the announcement.

No, he NEEDED to have Elway report to him. It has nothing to do with sniveling, it has to do with what makes the most sense for the Broncos organization.

GEM
01-05-2011, 12:11 PM
No, he NEEDED to have Elway report to him. It has nothing to do with sniveling, it has to do with what makes the most sense for the Broncos organization.

I know...it was a facetious post. ;) Settle down, beavis. :D

Northman
01-05-2011, 12:13 PM
As that clearly isn't in the cards anymore, there needs to be someone running the company, and Ellis is clearly the most qualified.

Well, he may be the most qualified but that doesnt mean he is the right guy for the job and thats where you and i will always disagree. Im glad they are restructering it to where the HC wont have total power but im not convinced that Ellis is the right guy for the job, same with Xanders.

Nomad
01-05-2011, 12:28 PM
This new chapter for the BRONCOS will tell us how competent Bowlen is as a CEO in his decision making as far as keeping Ellis/Xanders and hiring Elway!! I'm just anxious to see who the HC is because this will be Elway's first big decision for the BRONCOS!!

Lancane
01-05-2011, 12:58 PM

Tned, the word is that while he's been named President, he's been removed from operations(?) He's no longer the Chief Operations Officer, Elway runs the show...that means the Ellis will be about as invisible as Bowlen has become. I think that Bowlen didn't want to have to fire a close friend, and that by removing him completely from operational decisions and having him work more with the board of directors, and be in an advisory position to Xanders or Elways (should they seek it).

Tned
01-05-2011, 01:18 PM
Tned, the word is that while he's been named President, he's been removed from operations(?) He's no longer the Chief Operations Officer, Elway runs the show...that means the Ellis will be about as invisible as Bowlen has become. I think that Bowlen didn't want to have to fire a close friend, and that by removing him completely from operational decisions and having him work more with the board of directors, and be in an advisory position to Xanders or Elways (should they seek it).

I haven't seen this word, but I doubt it's accuracy.

I'm sure it is more a matter of Ellis taking on what used to be the Bowlen role in terms of day to day operations of the club, which includes delegating the football operations to the VP of Football, which used to be Shanahan.

slim
01-05-2011, 01:46 PM

Joe, we're gonna need to go ahead and move you downstairs into storage B. We have some new people coming in, and we need all the space we can get. So if you could just go ahead and pack up your stuff and move it down there, that would be terrific, OK?

Lancane
01-05-2011, 01:48 PM
I'm sure it is more a matter of Ellis taking on what used to be the Bowlen role in terms of day to day operations of the club, which includes delegating the football operations to the VP of Football, which used to be Shanahan.

You're overthinking this Tned, Elway is the Executive Vice President of Football Operations, and while Ellis has been given the title of President, Bowlen remains the CEO, Elway is running all football operations (all) Ellis can advise him, but his power has been subjugated between the two most powerful figures in the organization, he can not fire football personnel, that's Elways job or Bowlen could still do as much as the Chief Executive Officer, but Ellis can no longer cause problems. What is he going to do, fire Elway? In title he could, but that will not happen because Bowlen would not permit it unless that is what he decided. Rich Slivka is also an Executive Vice President, have you heard much from him over the last few years? That's because he is an advisor and legal counsel for the organization. Ellis is just another advisor who will help Bowlen more with the day to day functions he has to handle as the CEO.

Tempus Fugit
01-05-2011, 01:54 PM
The franchise pulls the plug on an inexperienced head coach rather than giving him time to grow into the job, and then goes out to get a more inexperienced person to run the team.

No wonder fans of the other AFCW teams are laughing their asses off at the Broncos.

Northman
01-05-2011, 01:57 PM
The franchise pulls the plug on an inexperienced head coach rather than giving him time to grow into the job, and then goes out to get a more inexperienced person to run the team.

Oh boo hoo! You lost your loverboy.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2011, 01:58 PM

No wonder fans of the other AFCW teams are laughing their asses off at the Broncos.

I don't agree with you that John Elway is inexperienced.

Tned
01-05-2011, 01:58 PM
You're overthinking this Tned, Elway is the Executive Vice President of Football Operations, and while Ellis has been given the title of President, Bowlen remains the CEO, Elway is running all football operations (all) Ellis can advise him, but his power has been subjugated between the two most powerful figures in the organization, he can not fire football personnel, that's Elways job or Bowlen could still do as much as the Chief Executive Officer, but Ellis can no longer cause problems. What is he going to do, fire Elway? In title he could, but that will not happen because Bowlen would not permit it unless that is what he decided. Rich Slivka is also an Executive Vice President, have you heard much from him over the last few years? That's because he is an advisor and legal counsel for the organization. Ellis is just another advisor who will help Bowlen more with the day to day functions he has to handle as the CEO.

Do you have anything to back up this organization re-alignment or is this just your case, which is what it sounds like.

Schefter, and others, are reporting something completely different.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2011, 02:04 PM
Rod Mackey just said, live on Ch 9, that in the Broncos' press release, it is stated that John will have final say on all football matters.

Here it is on the Broncos' site:

The 16-year Broncos signal caller will hold final authority over the team's football operations -- reporting directly to Bowlen and Ellis -- and will lead the search for a new head coach.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Elway-Joins-Front-Office/b5a8ebe0-71e5-483d-bca5-9acdcf3877c5

Tned
01-05-2011, 02:15 PM
Rod Mackey just said, live on Ch 9, that in the Broncos' press release, it is stated that John will have final say on all football matters.

Here it is on the Broncos' site:

Exactly, just as Mike Shanahan did. That's what VP of football operation means. Bowlen was not a Jerry Jones type owner that meddle with the Football guy, but he, as President, had the football guy report to him and could fire him, etc.

Based on what has been reported, Ellis will assume the traditional "Bowlen" role, and Elway will oversea football operaitons, which was one of Shanahan's three hats (along with GM and HC).

Ellis, the team's newly named president, has been the chief operating officer for the club for the past three years and is a 16-year club employee. He has ultimate responsibility for the organization as team president, and his responsibilities with the club's business operations will include speaking on behalf of Bowlen on all matters involving the franchise.

Tempus Fugit
01-05-2011, 02:19 PM
I don't agree with you that John Elway is inexperienced.

Convince me that I'm wrong, then. List all the football executive positions he's held since his playing career ended, especially the ones where he was making decisions on personnel.

Mike
01-05-2011, 02:23 PM
Joe, we're gonna need to go ahead and move you downstairs into storage B. We have some new people coming in, and we need all the space we can get. So if you could just go ahead and pack up your stuff and move it down there, that would be terrific, OK?

And I said, I don't care if they lay me off either, because I told, I told Pat that if they move my desk one more time, then, then I'm, I'm quitting, I'm going to quit. And, and I told John too, because they've moved my desk four times already this year, and I used to be over by the window, and I could see the squirrels, and they were married, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much, and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and it's not okay because if they take my stapler then I'll set the building on fire...

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2011, 02:28 PM
Convince me that I'm wrong, then. List all the football executive positions he's held since his playing career ended, especially the ones where he was making decisions on personnel.

"John has won championships as both a player and executive, and his experience will be a valuable addition to this franchise. He is the perfect fit for this role, and I am excited to welcome him back to the Denver Broncos," Bowlen said.

After his 16-year playing career ended, Elway was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2004. He also led the Arena Football League's Colorado Crush to a championship in 2005 as its co-owner and chief executive officer. Elway spent the 2010 season as a marketing consultant to the Broncos following eight years as co-owner and chief executive officer of Denver's AFL team. Elway worked closely with Bowlen, who owned one-third of the arena team.

http://www.coloradodaily.com/ci_17015475?source=rss_viewed#axzz1ABrgRcor

Lancane
01-05-2011, 02:32 PM
Do you have anything to back up this organization re-alignment or is this just your case, which is what it sounds like.

Schefter, and others, are reporting something completely different.

How can you be so stubborn and not see that Ellis' balls have been lopped off? Anyone with a basic knowledge of corporate infrastructure can tell you that he's been subjugated into a more 'damage controlled' position, he'll be talking with financial people, accompanying Bowlen to meetings in regards to the league, when Bowlen wants to sit, he'll be pulling out the chair for him at such a time. He has little control over operations, because what is he going to do, step on Elway's toes and go over his head? How long do you think he'd be the president in that case? He had more power as the Chief Operations Officer, because he did not receive the CEO title, Bowlen still holds that.

I understand that it's confusing, but all Ellis is now is an administrator that will help Bowlen in regards to the league, issues regarding the city or stadium, BowlenSports Inc. and what obligations it has to the community, the financial infrastructure, such as dealing with the President of Finance or Commercial Authority. He's getting a pay raise but losing power Tned.

Nomad
01-05-2011, 02:39 PM

Does he get to keep his stapler?!?:D

EDIT: Didn't see your post, Mike, it was great!! classic movie!!:lol:

pnbronco
01-05-2011, 02:40 PM
And I said, I don't care if they lay me off either, because I told, I told Pat that if they move my desk one more time, then, then I'm, I'm quitting, I'm going to quit. And, and I told John too, because they've moved my desk four times already this year, and I used to be over by the window, and I could see the squirrels, and they were married, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much, and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and it's not okay because if they take my stapler then I'll set the building on fire...

:laugh:.................:laugh:..........:laugh:
now why didn't I think of this...........:confused:

At first I was like what??? Then the after thinking how things worked with Shanny and even McD, Ellis and Mr. Bowlen have always had final say but pretty much stayed out. This way a structure is in place. It's the beginning of a new era and I look forward to seeing how it goes.

(John just needs to remember to not take Joe's stapler.....:D)

Tempus Fugit
01-05-2011, 02:54 PM
http://www.coloradodaily.com/ci_17015475?source=rss_viewed#axzz1ABrgRcor

In other words, he has no relevant experience, which was my point, since the AFL means nothing regarding the NFL. Bowlen must be getting senile.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2011, 02:57 PM
In other words, he has no relevant experience, which was my point, since the AFL means nothing regarding the NFL. Bowlen must be getting senile.

Well - think what you want -

Northman
01-05-2011, 03:00 PM

As if every guy who ever became good at their job didnt come from somewhere other than that job. Elway has experience at his job on another level and has a chance to prove he can do it at the professional level. What part of that did he not understand? I liked it better when he left and buried his head in the sand.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2011, 03:10 PM
As if every guy who ever became good at their job didnt come from somewhere other than that job. Elway has experience at his job on another level and has a chance to prove he can do it at the professional level. What part of that did he not understand? I liked it better when he left and buried his head in the sand.

And, in a way, I would consider that he had experience at the professional level - Arena Football was not like peewee football. They were a recognized football league, their games were on tv, the league had paid sponsors, etc.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2011, 03:28 PM
For those who will be watching on line, there is now a place where you can click on Elway Press Conference:

http://www.denverbroncos.com/

Ziggy
01-05-2011, 03:41 PM
Elway is really hammering the fan-team relationship in the press conference.

Ziggy
01-05-2011, 03:44 PM
Johnny's now adressing team's biggest needs. Continuity on defense...saying we need to bring in a system and stay with it.

Need to get back home field advantage.

Ziggy
01-05-2011, 03:45 PM
He's saying that the time for this wasn't right 4 or 5 years ago because of his family situation. Mainly the kids growing up and being there for them while they were home.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2011, 03:45 PM
You definitely can see and hear John's excitement

Ziggy
01-05-2011, 03:46 PM
Says he will use his strengths and hire to what he doesn't know. Mentioned working with the QB's.

slim
01-05-2011, 03:48 PM
How can you be so stubborn and not see that Ellis' balls have been lopped off? Anyone with a basic knowledge of corporate infrastructure can tell you that he's been subjugated into a more 'damage controlled' position, he'll be talking with financial people, accompanying Bowlen to meetings in regards to the league, when Bowlen wants to sit, he'll be pulling out the chair for him at such a time. He has little control over operations, because what is he going to do, step on Elway's toes and go over his head? How long do you think he'd be the president in that case? He had more power as the Chief Operations Officer, because he did not receive the CEO title, Bowlen still holds that.

I understand that it's confusing, but all Ellis is now is an administrator that will help Bowlen in regards to the league, issues regarding the city or stadium, BowlenSports Inc. and what obligations it has to the community, the financial infrastructure, such as dealing with the President of Finance or Commercial Authority. He's getting a pay raise but losing power Tned.

As Elway said, it will be a "three-legged stool"....Elway, Xanders and the HC.

He also said Bolwen gave him "final say authority" on football decisions.

Thank you dear Lord baby Jesus, lyin' there in your ghost manger, just lookin' at your Baby Einstein developmental videos, learnin' 'bout shapes and colors. I would like to thank you for bringin' John and Pat together, and also that Joe Ellis is no longer running the team like a retarded gang-banger.

Ziggy
01-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Bottom line....Brian Xanders is the GM. John can override him but will only do it if it is something that is in the best interest of the Denver Broncos.

Ziggy
01-05-2011, 03:49 PM
Exactly what is Joe Ellis's job now?

Ziggy
Did he just call Mullarkey, Mark?

dogfish
i love you, slim. . .

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2011, 03:51 PM
He is talking about Tim - as a man, as a football player - Tim is a good football player - we need to make him a great QB. Says Tim loves the Denver Broncos.

John does not believe any HC will come in here and say he does not want Tim Tebow - and if he does, he may not be the right guy for the job. (hope I got that correct, word for word)

NightTrainLayne
01-05-2011, 03:53 PM
Says Tim loves the Denver Broncos.

Well duh. Anyone with any brains loves the Denver Broncos.

slim
01-05-2011, 03:53 PM
Exactly what is Joe Ellis's job now?

Well, he will generally come in at least fifteen minutes late, ah, and use the side door - that way John can't see him - and, uh, after that he will just sorta space out for about an hour....just stare at his desk; but it will look like he's working. He will do that for probably another hour after lunch, too. I'd say in a given week he will probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work.

Ziggy
01-05-2011, 03:54 PM
Powerful statement there, talking about how if a coach comes in and says that they don't like Tim Tebow that maybe they aren't the right guy for the job.

Northman
Well, he will generally come in at least fifteen minutes late, ah, and use the side door - that way John can't see him - and, uh, after that he will just sorta space out for about an hour....just stare at his desk; but it will look like he's working. He will do that for probably another hour after lunch, too. I'd say in a given week he will probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work.

And he has 8 different bosses.

Northman
Powerful statement there, talking about how if a coach comes in and says that they don't like Tim Tebow that maybe they aren't the right guy for the job.

Lol, there goes the all the fans of the luck sweepstakes.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2011, 03:55 PM
John is talking about Champ - and says he loves Champ.

pnbronco
01-05-2011, 03:55 PM
He is talking about Tim - as a man, as a football player - Tim is a good football player - we need to make him a great QB. Says Tim loves the Denver Broncos.

John does not believe any HC will come in here and say he does not want Tim Tebow - and if he does, he may not be the right guy for the job. (hope I got that correct, word for word)

You did, glad it was you and not me trying to remember....

Ziggy
01-05-2011, 03:56 PM

But not committing to bringing him back yet.

cuzz4169
01-05-2011, 03:57 PM
My take is Tim Tebow is Denvers QB no Doubt about it!!

NightTrainLayne
01-05-2011, 03:58 PM

Probably best if he hadn't said that. . .I'd rather know what the candidates actually believe rather than giving them a road-map to the "right" answers.

NightTrainLayne

Well duh. Anyone with any brains loves Champ.

Sorry Claymore.

Ziggy
There are a lot of quality football players on this roster, but not enough to make us competitive. Glad Johnny understands that.

pnbronco
01-05-2011, 03:59 PM
I like that he keeps saying he does knows what he doesn't know and plans on working with people that have the strengths that he doesn't have.

Denver Native (Carol)
My take is Tim Tebow is Denvers QB no Doubt about it!!

What I got out of what John said, was that Tim would remain here. John did say that Tim only has 3 games under his belt, so that would need to be reevaluated. IMO - Would Tim be the starter next year.

slim

OK, I looked into this more deeply and I found that apparently what happened is that he was laid off five years ago and no one ever told him about it; but through some kind of glitch in the payroll department, he still gets a paycheck.

Ziggy
01-05-2011, 04:01 PM
I was in the bathroom for a few. Who was John talking about bouncing ideas off of that was an NFL GM?

Ziggy
01-05-2011, 04:02 PM
Leaning toward a 3-4, but it's going to depend on the head coach. Nice.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2011, 04:02 PM
Need continuaity on the defensive side of the ball. Not good changing systems all the time.

Will not make this team thru free agency, but thru the draft.

Ziggy
01-05-2011, 04:05 PM
The draft room could be ugly.

pnbronco
I was in the bathroom for a few. Who was John talking about bouncing ideas off of that was an NFL GM?

The guys that drafted him in Bal and then was working for the Browns when he had the drive, missed the name.

Ziggy
Looks like the head coach will have some say into the draft decisions.

Ziggy
01-05-2011, 04:06 PM
We have to get better at drafting, and Xanders is accountable for that.

Denver Native (Carol)
Drafting is awful tough, and we need to get better at that

pnbronco
The draft room could be ugly.

Yeah, but I like what he said that if that can't agree, then maybe they are going in the wrong direction.

Now he just said he doesn't want yes men, very interesting, I'm liking it.

cuzz4169
01-05-2011, 04:07 PM
What I got out of what John said, was that Tim would remain here. John did say that Tim only has 3 games under his belt, so that would need to be reevaluated. IMO - Would Tim be the starter next year.

Dont know how you heard that...Jesus the guy was smiling ear to ear when he talked about Tebow.

Ziggy
01-05-2011, 04:08 PM
We definitely won't be afraid to trade back and stockpile picks.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2011, 04:09 PM
Dont know how you heard that...Jesus the guy was smiling ear to ear when he talked about Tebow.

When it comes out in print, guess we will see what was said.

Northman
01-05-2011, 04:10 PM
Yeah, but I like what he said that if that can't agree, then maybe they are going in the wrong direction.

Now he just said he doesn't want yes men, very interesting, I'm liking it.

Thank the lord.

Northman
01-05-2011, 04:11 PM
We definitely won't be afraid to trade back and stockpile picks.

I can live with that as long as somewhere we pick up Bowers or Dareus. :D

Ziggy
01-05-2011, 04:13 PM
"I get on the football field and it makes my heart pump." He's still got the fever. Looks like John's just a guy that was made to be in the NFL in some capacity until his lungs stop exchanging air and carbon dioxide.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2011, 04:13 PM
In the past, there has only been one touch point with the fans - no more - the fans will hear John, Xanders, and the HC.

pnbronco
01-05-2011, 04:14 PM
He is driven to do what needs to be done. You can hear it in his voice and see it in his eyes.

Nomad
01-05-2011, 04:14 PM
No set time given , slim!! But he said he's gonna put in as much time as needed!! So what do you expect!!

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2011, 04:15 PM
Want to get the fans involved - don't want them to feel like they are getting straightarmed.

slim
01-05-2011, 04:16 PM
No set time given , slim!! But he said he's gonna put in as much time as needed!! So what do you expect!!

7 am won't cut it!

Early bird gets the worm!

slim
01-05-2011, 04:20 PM
Finally something to happy about.

It is good to be a Bronco fan. :salute:

Ziggy
New head coach will have complete say in hiring his staff of assistants regardless of the current coaches' contracts.

dogfish

i hope he doesn't start talking about how much he loves ryan mcbean. . . .

Ziggy
01-05-2011, 04:22 PM
Something tells me we aren't going to have 5 different D-coordinators in here over the next 5 years. How nice would that be?

vettesplus
01-05-2011, 04:23 PM
hey john, get rid of the gum!!!!!

Ziggy
01-05-2011, 04:24 PM
Reading between the lines, does anyone else give Studes a 100-1 shot at best to remain head coach of the Denver Broncos?

slim
01-05-2011, 04:26 PM
I say Studs has no chance, at all.

He seems like an OK dude, but he will not be the next coach of the Broncos.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2011, 04:26 PM
hey john, get rid of the gum!!!!!

That is a shame if that is all you have got out of this :tsk:

pnbronco
01-05-2011, 04:28 PM
He's talking about who could of played on the his team when they won the Super Bowl and he said Champ Bailey and then joked that Tim could of taken his spot. Alfred and Stink have said that Champ is the only one that could of played on their team too on the radio this week.

EMB6903
01-05-2011, 04:31 PM
did anybody hear who he was talking about at the very end of his presser?

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2011, 04:33 PM
Lindsay did a great job on her twitter. Here is what she has in regards to TimTebow. I would suggest that you all read what she has on her twitter from the press conference:

Elway said he doesn't expect any coaching candidates to say they don't want to work with Tebow. 34 minutes ago via TweetDeck

# Elway said decision has not been made about Tim Tebow as the QB of the future. That'll be up to the next head coach. 39 minutes ago via TweetDeck

# Elway: Tim Tebow is a darn good football player. What we have to do is make him a darn good quarterback. 39 minutes ago via TweetDeck

# Elway said Tim Tebow has "been everything everyone expected him to be" as a person. 39 minutes ago via TweetDeck

http://twitter.com/postbroncos

pnbronco
I am very excited with what I saw today. John is a hard, hard worker. One time I was talking to Karl about John's leadership and he said that he had that ability to bring out the best in everyone around him. That at lunch he would sit at a different table every day and make everyone feel like they were a important part of a team. I look forward to future of the Broncos.

dogfish
okay, i can't help it-- i'm getting pumped. . .

i really hope cane is right that elway will be making the final call on football decisions. . . this still isn't the structure i was hoping for, and we didn't get the experienced personnel exec that really would have been the best way to go. . .

but i can't help buying in when people start saying the right things-- i did it with mcdaniels, even though his actions rarely backed up his words, so i certainly can't help but give john ****ing elway the benefit of the doubt. . . his competitive drive and love for broncos football were desperately needed in our front office structure. . .

the heavy lifting is still the whole re-making the roster part, and i don't know if we have the guys in place to do that, but at least we have somebody that gives a shit. . . elway doesn't need the position or even the money, really-- he's doing this because he's still addicted to the rush of winning, and as a fan it's tough not to respond to that energy the way the guys in the huddle always did with the duke. . . somebody get me a helmet, i wanna go crack some skulls!

now let's draft some DLs so we can put a real defense out there in orange in 2012. . .

i hope we have somebody who can figure out how to run a draft. . . the head coach hire is also going to be really important-- if we don't get somebody with a strong voice and some real leadership, this could turn out to be a case of too many chiefs and no good indians. . .

slim
I am going to have to listen to that presser again.

Once I heard that Ellis did not have final authority on football decisions, I was so giddy that I couldn't concentrate.

Lancane
01-05-2011, 04:35 PM
That was about the most positive conference I've heard in a long ass time regarding this organization in whole. He's about the integrity, accountability, he wants more involvement with fans and the community, he doesn't want a coach that just wants to coach but understands us. I say "Damn good hire Pat"!

:beer:

dogfish
I am very excited with what I saw today. John is a hard, hard worker. One time I was talking to Karl about John's leadership and he said that he had that ability to bring out the best in everyone around him. That at lunch he would sit at a different table every day and make everyone feel like they were a important part of a team. I look forward to future of the Broncos.

i hope he yells "RED 98, RED 98!" in the war room when we're on the clock. . . .

pnbronco
did anybody hear who he was talking about at the very end of his presser?

If you mean that he wish he was here to see this and would his first hire, it's his Dad. He's was a amazing scout and could really pick out talent.

Lancane
01-05-2011, 04:38 PM
If you mean that he wish he was here to see this and would his first hire, it's his Dad. He's was a amazing scout and could really pick out talent.

John is a legend, but so is Jack Elway, the man is considered one hell of a coach and talent evaluator.

vettesplus
01-05-2011, 04:38 PM
That is a shame if that is all you have got out of this :tsk:

:2thumbs:

broken12
01-05-2011, 04:40 PM
setting up the tebow hype for a trade, lol, in my opinion, if possible trade that pick away to someone who is a player short of becoming a sb contender for us to stock pile picks for the next 2 years and see what tebow does at that time if luck not available at two, if tebow stays we know if he can get denver there by the end of next.

BroncoBJ
01-05-2011, 04:41 PM
I wasn't really sure what I thought about Elway being in the front office. Was kind of neutral. Didn't care 1 way or another.

But after watching the press conference, man Its hard not to get excited. Gets me pumped and makes me wish there was Broncos football tommorow. :rockon:

Cant help but to get excited. :salute:

pnbronco
01-05-2011, 04:50 PM
I wasn't really sure what I thought about Elway being in the front office. Was kind of neutral. Didn't care 1 way or another.

But after watching the press conference, man Its hard not to get excited. Gets me pumped and makes me wish there was Broncos football tommorow. :rockon:

Cant help but to get excited. :salute:

That's how I felt when I first heard about the hire. It's like are we trying to recapture something from the past by putting in "The Legend". After today I saw that old fire in his eyes and he's ready to work his tail off to get back to Denver having a winning team.

The timing seems to be right in his life and the team needs what he has to offer. So I'm really excited and looking forward to Broncos future.

Lancane
01-05-2011, 04:53 PM
I think that Tebow is sort of a selling point, like John he has an infectious demeanor that is influential to say the least. But the organization is not sold on him as the future, that I could tell...they love him, what he brings and as a person, but they seem worried that he can not be the quarterback, I think we could see an open quarterback competition come training camp, Orton may even be back to compete. I do think the team will try and get a coach that can make Tebow into an NFL quarterback, but they don't believe he is there yet.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2011, 04:53 PM
That's how I felt when I first heard about the hire. It's like are we trying to recapture something from the past by putting in "The Legend". After today I saw that old fire in his eyes and he's ready to work his tail off to get back to Denver having a winning team.

The timing seems to be right in his life and the team needs what he has to offer. So I'm really excited and looking forward to Broncos future.

Once the talk started about John joining the organization, I knew it was the right thing for the Broncos - he loves the Broncos, the Bronco fans, and Denver, he is so competitive, I love it that he admitted that he does not know everything, and will rely on others, etc.

Northman
01-05-2011, 04:54 PM
Grew up idolizing the man as a player. I never had the talent as he did playing in high school but he always made me want to do whatever i could and play 100% all the time. And to some effect Atwater had that effect on me as a defensive player and i couldnt think of two better guys to try and emmulate. I have no idea of how John will do in this position but i know he will give it everything he has to try and help us succeed. The man doesnt know any different. The fact Tebow has that kind of quality is very promising for my favorite team.

camdisco24
01-05-2011, 04:55 PM
Great press conference. Very excited about the future with Elway in the front office.

Hopefully he can help our rebuild process go just a bit quicker.

DenBronx
01-05-2011, 04:59 PM
Lindsay did a great job on her twitter. Here is what she has in regards to TimTebow. I would suggest that you all read what she has on her twitter from the press conference:

http://twitter.com/postbroncos

Elway said he has a call into Harbaugh to gauge Harbaugh's interest. Hopes to speak to him today.
about 1 hour ago via TweetDeck

Tempus Fugit
01-05-2011, 05:00 PM

Indeed, I shall. And the press conference pretty much made my point for me, both with Elway's comments and with Ellis' statements.

T.K.O.
in a word......AWESOME !

:salute:

topscribe
When Elway stepped up to the podium, his power, energy, and enthusiasm
just blew me away! It was like Ellis and Mr. Bowlen had been asleep up there.
Nothing against them, but I immediately thought, "This is exactly what the
team needs!"

Yes, I was like some others here: really not too sure what to think of it. But,
just like some other here now, I am pumped!

-----

T.K.O.
01-05-2011, 05:04 PM
having the winningest QB to ever play the game watching over decisions,helping bring in quality players and coaches and lighting a fire under the asses of all the above.....canNOT be a bad thing !!!!!:elefant:

EMB6903
01-05-2011, 05:06 PM

Thanks!

I just heard him saying that would be his first hire if he was still with us today... Figured it was his pops just wanted to make sure.

camdisco24
01-05-2011, 05:09 PM
Indeed, I shall. And the press conference pretty much made my point for me, both with Elway's comments and with Ellis' statements.

You honestly didn't like anything Elway said in the presser???????

Wow......... :confused:

Northman
01-05-2011, 05:23 PM
You honestly didn't like anything Elway said in the presser???????

Wow......... :confused:

Coming from him are you REALLY surprised? Im not. :lol:

topscribe
01-05-2011, 05:34 PM
The only downer I experienced during the interview was when Elway was
asked who from today's team could have started on his Super Bowl teams. He
could think of only one: Champ. Of course those were tremendous teams, but
still . . .

-----

Lancane
01-05-2011, 05:44 PM
The only downer I experienced during the interview was when Elway was
asked who from today's team could have started on his Super Bowl teams. He
could think of only one: Champ. Of course those were tremendous teams, but
still . . .

-----

Honesty is sometimes a bitch, but it's better to know the truth then to hold on to some delusional hope that the team is closer to competing then it really is. I wonder if that means they'll make it a priority to get things rolling with Bailey before free agency officially starts?

Nomad
01-05-2011, 05:44 PM
Elway said he has a call into Harbaugh to gauge Harbaugh's interest. Hopes to speak to him today.
about 1 hour ago via TweetDeck

Can the BRONCOS pay Harbaugh more than $7 mil a year because that's what SF is willing to pay him

Lancane
01-05-2011, 05:47 PM
Can the BRONCOS pay Harbaugh more than $7 mil a year because that's what SF is willing to pay him

That's up to Bowlen, it's his money...but you never know. And I have a doubt that San Fran would actually pay a rookie coach that much per year. 5 million, maybe...but 7 million, I think someone mixed up their numbers somewhere and if that is true, then Harbaugh would be stupid to pass it up.

camdisco24
01-05-2011, 05:48 PM
Coming from him are you REALLY surprised? Im not. :lol:

haha good point...

LawDog
01-05-2011, 06:01 PM

Bowlen co-owned the Crush with Elway and Kroenke. Much like the way you got pwned by Carol.

Nomad
01-05-2011, 06:02 PM
That's up to Bowlen, it's his money...but you never know. And I have a doubt that San Fran would actually pay a rookie coach that much per year. 5 million, maybe...but 7 million, I think someone mixed up their numbers somewhere and if that is true, then Harbaugh would be stupid to pass it up.

You're right but this is what the BRONCOS are going to have to match or exceed according article in 'Other NFL Teams' forum!!

Nomad
01-05-2011, 06:07 PM
Funny!! Listening to the Drive...que in Howard Dean yell!!:lol:

LawDog
01-05-2011, 06:09 PM
Drafting is awful tough, and we need to get better at that

I agree, you wanna come right up and almost kiss the bumper before sliding out and around. Too much and you risk getting him loose and putting him in the wall, then you're left hanging in the wind while a five-car train rolls past on the inside...

Wait, what?

topscribe
01-05-2011, 06:09 PM
Honesty is sometimes a bitch, but it's better to know the truth then to hold on to some delusional hope that the team is closer to competing then it really is. I wonder if that means they'll make it a priority to get things rolling with Bailey before free agency officially starts?

I hope so. Seems a trend has developed with the Broncos: shipping Cutler out
then hoping Tebow repaces him, jettisoning Marshall and hoping Demaryius
replaces him, moving Hillis out and hoping LenDale can step in, unloading
Scheffler and saying that someone named Marquez is as good.

Now, some are thinking that maybe this Peterson guy can replace Champ?
Okay, maybe Peterson should be the pick, and maybe not. But not at the
expense of Champ Bailey, IMO . . .

-----

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2011, 06:20 PM
Mark Cooper's blog:

Great interview today. Waited to post until I heard the interview. If you didn’t, find it on KOA or other sites and see what you think. (DenverBroncos.com will have the video and audio of the press conference on the site shortly.)

Sixteen years in the league and some tough years are “experiences” you can’t read about and/or understand if you haven’t lived it. I was there for four of John and had another three of my own in Tampa with losing seasons, but 16 years and all he accomplished speaks for itself, so I’m excited for the organization, Mr. Bowlen and the fans.

John’s a winner, a leader, a smart guy, and like I mentioned before the MOST fierce competitor I ever played with in my “ENTIRE” sports career and I played with Kelly, Testaverde, Joe Ferguson, Steve Deberg and Bernie Kosar was a redshirt at Miami when I as a senior. You know it when you see it and you know by what a guy does on and off the field. Leadership and respect are earned, not a given.

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/mark_cooper/elway-era/

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2011, 06:22 PM
For those who did not hear it, or want to hear it again, you can download it here:

http://www.850koa.com/cc-common/mainheadlines3.html?feed=261777&article=8005906

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2011, 06:27 PM
From the very same podium where nearly 12 years ago he announced his retirement from football, John Elway officially returned to the Broncos on Tuesday.

"Last time I was crying," Elway said. "This time I was smiling."

The Broncos introduced Elway as the team's new executive vice president of football operations, and in his hour-long news conference it was clear Elway is approaching the job in much the same way he did when he played quarterback here for 16 years.

In this job, he will oversee general manager Brian Xanders and the personnel department as well as the new coach, whom Elway will be instrumental in hiring in the next couple of weeks.

"Why am I here? I love the Broncos. Mr. Bowlen understands who I am," Elway said Tuesday afternoon. "I think the greatest compliment to me is that he trusts me to run the football operations. Because of my experience here, and having played here for 16 years, I understand what the Broncos are all about."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17018127?source=rss

tomjonesrocks
01-05-2011, 06:28 PM

-----

I agree with all the players you mentioned but disagree in Champs case. I think this team has proven an elite CB just doesn't help much if you don't have other parts. It's just not an impact position--good teams have multiple options at WR--"shutting down" one doesn't really do that much. When was the last time a CB carried a team on his back to the promised land?

The team needs to build towards relentless pressure on the QB and stopping the run first IMO.

Lancane
01-05-2011, 06:32 PM
I agree with all the players you mentioned but disagree in Champs case. I think this team has proven an elite CB just doesn't help much if you don't have other parts. It's just not an impact position--good teams have multiple options at WR--"shutting down" one doesn't really do that much. When was the last time a CB carried a team on his back to the promised land?

The onl relentless pressure on the QB and

What you’re saying is true, but we need continuity somewhere and we need leadership, I’m not hoping that Champ returns as a cornerback, I’m hoping he returns as a Bronco and maybe just maybe as the starting strong safety, something we do need. Dawkins and the youngster could battle it out for the free safety position, but Bailey re-signing would be a moral boost for a team in a character-crisis such as ours.

dogfish
01-05-2011, 06:41 PM
"Why am I here? I love the Broncos. Mr. Bowlen understands who I am," Elway said Tuesday afternoon. "I think the greatest compliment to me is that he trusts me to run the football operations. Because of my experience here, and having played here for 16 years, I understand what the Broncos are all about."

welcome home, Duke!

:salute::salute:

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2011, 06:49 PM
welcome home, Duke!

:salute::salute:

You have no idea how great that sounds:salute::salute:

topscribe
01-05-2011, 06:50 PM

The team needs to build towards relentless pressure on the QB and stopping the run first IMO.

I agree with you fully, except that I don't know how Champ is preventing that.
I would be all for keeping Champ and concentrating on getting a Bowers or
Fairley with the first rounder.

-----

claymore
01-05-2011, 06:58 PM

-----

I would rather draft a kicker with the #2 overall pick than a CB. We need somoeone that can make a difference right away.

Lancane
01-05-2011, 07:00 PM
I would rather draft a kicker with the #2 overall pick than a CB. We need somoeone that can make a difference right away.

I think if we drafted a kicker at that spot, that we would have a conference scheduled firing the entire front office staff.

:lol:

claymore
01-05-2011, 07:02 PM
I think if we drafted a kicker at that spot, that we would have a conference scheduled firing the entire front office staff.

I can see that, but in all honesty a great kicker or punter would help us more than a great CB.

Man would that eff up the rookie wage scale!:laugh:

underrated29
01-05-2011, 07:02 PM

NO!!

There would be a conference about where to build a new stadium because I would commit arson with ALL the front office people inside. Dove valley too!

Northman
01-05-2011, 07:03 PM
Its all fun and games for sure but Clay is correct. Taking a DB at #2 would be a monumental mistake by this organization.

claymore
01-05-2011, 07:05 PM
Its all fun and games for sure but Clay is correct. Taking a DB at #2 would be a monumental mistake by this organization.

Thats the only position I would be pissed about. BPA unless its CB (Or kicker).

PAINTERDAVE
01-05-2011, 07:06 PM
Elway definately likes Tebow, praised him as a man and as a hard worker and as a "great football player".
John said we now need to work with him to turn him into a great QB.
He noted that Tim would be the first to say "Yeah, I need work".
He also said good things about Orton and Quinn but he definitely went on more about Tebow.

He said everyone at Dove Valley was happy with the Tebow pick... and that no one would do it any different.
(I know he cant say different... but the man is not a liar and those are the words he chose to use...
so I believe that everyone at Dove Valley now is on board with the Tebow pick)

He also made it clear he was unsure if Tebow is a starter now or in the future.
Elway made it clear that all player decisions like that would wait for a head coach.

Lastly he said he did not think any coach would be anti Tebow.
Then he added that if any coach was anti tebow they would probably not be the best choice for the Denver Broncos.

That is how I heard it. I seriously doubt they will hire an anti-Tebow guy.

Lancane
01-05-2011, 07:07 PM

Better hope they don’t think Mallett is the BPA, this board will ignite into a frenzy of epic proportion.

:laugh:

claymore
01-05-2011, 07:10 PM
Elway definately likes Tebow, praised him as a man and as a hard worker and as a "great football player".
He also said good things about Orton and Quinn but he definitely went on more about Tebow.

He said everyone at Dove Valley was happy with the Tebow pick... and that no one would do it any different.
(I know he cant say different... but the man is not a liar and those are the words he chose to use...

Elway made it clear that all player decisions like that would wait for a head coach.

Then he added that if any coach was anti tebow they would probably not be the best choice for the Denver Broncos.

I need to listen to the interview, but the DP words it as Elway being less enthusiastic than that.

Elway said he and Xanders have begun their player evaluations, and that includes rookie quarterback Tim Tebow, who started the final three games of the season. Elway said he saw enough to Tebow to know that he's "everything everyone expected" as a person, but he was guarded in his evaluation of Tebow as a player.

Elway said the decision about who is the Broncos' quarterback of the future won't be determined until a new coach is hired.

"Tim Tebow is a darn good football player," Elway said. "What we have to do is make him a darn good quarterback."

Read more: John Elway vows to bring Broncos back to NFL prominence - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17018127#ixzz1AD1zL5k5
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17018127

Northman
01-05-2011, 07:10 PM

Or QB.

We just dont know enough about the guy we have so taken another unproven QB in the first would be terrible. I dont think i need to remind anyone about all the talk of how Joey Harrington was going to save the Detroit Lions. :lol:

Tned
01-05-2011, 07:12 PM
okay, i can't help it-- i'm getting pumped. . .

i really hope cane is right that elway will be making the final call on football decisions. . . this still isn't the structure i was hoping for, and we didn't get the experienced personnel exec that really would have been the best way to go. . .

Cane clearly doesn't have a clue about corporate structure and has a vivid imagination, but what has been pretty clear is that Elway will have control of football operations.

He has the same title that Shanahan had, Vice President of Football Operations (actually a little more, because it's executive VP, I believe). That is the guy that's making the football decisions.

Ellis is now President, which is the role/title that Bowlen had. As he didn't micro-manage Shanahan, there is, and never was (other than irrational fear) any reason to believe that Ellis was going to micro-manage the GM or VP of football.

but i can't help buying in when people start saying the right things-- i did it with mcdaniels, even though his actions rarely backed up his words, so i certainly can't help but give john ****ing elway the benefit of the doubt. . . his competitive drive and love for broncos football were desperately needed in our front office structure. . .

the heavy lifting is still the whole re-making the roster part, and i don't know if we have the guys in place to do that, but at least we have somebody that gives a shit. . . elway doesn't need the position or even the money, really-- he's doing this because he's still addicted to the rush of winning, and as a fan it's tough not to respond to that energy the way the guys in the huddle always did with the duke. . . somebody get me a helmet, i wanna go crack some skulls!

now let's draft some DLs so we can put a real defense out there in orange in 2012. . .

i hope we have somebody who can figure out how to run a draft. . . the head coach hire is also going to be really important-- if we don't get somebody with a strong voice and some real leadership, this could turn out to be a case of too many chiefs and no good indians. . .

If John is actually qualified for the job, he will make sure he is surrounded with people that CAN make the personnel decisions. Whether that is Xanders or Xanders and a player development guy. If he isn't really qualified, then this could be a disaster.

I liked the way he said that there is no more hiding for Xanders, that he believes he can do the job, but he now has a chance to put his money where his mouth is.

claymore
Better hope they don’t think Mallett is the BPA, this board will ignite into a frenzy of epic proportion.

:laugh:

Im good with that too. I trust Elway and the staff he puts together. If its Tebow, then hell yeah. I just want EVERYONE evaluated. And if we can get a QB that will be a Pro Bowl caliber starter for us, DX tebow.

I have no loyalties to any player on this team right now. They are all up for grabs.

Lancane

I don’t think it’s a question of liking or not liking Tebow, hell I think it would be hard to hate him…the problem is, is he an NFL quarterback at this time or not? And I think that Elway’s comment about how “He’s a darn good football player, but we need him to be a darn good quarterback.” was about dead on, the kid needs coached and we all know he’ll work his ass off to become that pocket passing type quarterback, but he needs more time and better coaching to get there, if the Broncos are willing to be patient.

Tned
01-05-2011, 07:22 PM
Part of the video is now online for those that didn't get to see it:

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/John-Elway-Press-Conference---Part-1/af79b952-9d91-472e-98e3-5f3aa1243389

tomjonesrocks
01-05-2011, 07:29 PM
Or QB.

We just dont know enough about the guy we have so taken another unproven QB in the first would be terrible. I dont think i need to remind anyone about all the talk of how Joey Harrington was going to save the Detroit Lions. :lol:

I would agree although if Luck were available and Tebow could be convinced to move to TE I might change my mind.

I don't want to see Tebow moved out of the organization completely.

honz
01-05-2011, 07:30 PM
So what I got out of this thread is that Elway needs to stop chewing gum during press conferences.

Northman
01-05-2011, 07:30 PM
Love John, cant get enough of that cat. He wants to bring back the INTEGRITY!

Hell yea man!!!!!!

tomjonesrocks
01-05-2011, 07:34 PM
I don’t think it’s a question of liking or not liking Tebow, hell I think it would be hard to hate him…the problem is, is he an NFL quarterback at this time or not? And I think that Elway’s comment about how “He’s a darn good football player, but we need him to be a darn good quarterback.” was about dead on, the kid needs coached and we all know he’ll work his ass off to become that pocket passing type quarterback, but he needs more time and better coaching to get there, if the Broncos are willing to be patient.

Tebow's intangibles can't be taught. Unfortunately, I don't know if the improvement he needs in accuracy can be taught either. He's a playmaker though and the Broncos don't have enough of those, that's for sure.

Tned
01-05-2011, 07:35 PM
Elway on Xanders: "Xanders was awarded that title [GM], but never really given the chance to really be the general manager of the Denver Broncos. He's going to be awarded that chance."

In addition, he pointed out Xanders experience coaching, scouting, etc.

Northman
01-05-2011, 07:37 PM
John says that Xanders cant hide behind everything else and the expectations are on him now to do the job.

Tned
01-05-2011, 07:37 PM
lol, doesn't know how high Mile High is. ;)

They are going to coach him and let him know he has to say Invesco Field at Mile High or whatever it is.

Tned
01-05-2011, 07:39 PM
John says that Xanders cant hide behind everything else and the expectations are on him now to do the job.

As they should be now that he will be the real GM.

I haven't gotten to it yet, but I saw a tweet where John says that there will no longer be a single public face of the Broncos, like it was under McDaniels. McD didn't even let the press have access to his assistants in most cases.

Cugel
01-05-2011, 07:39 PM
It makes no sense.

Abso-freaking-lutely! :tsk:

Who was it who is MOST responsible for destroying the franchise? Joe Ellis!

HE was the one who convinced Bowlen to hire McMoron.

HE was the one who let McMoron have the "final say" on draft and FA decisions.

HE was the one who let McMoron get rid of every talented player on the roster and replace them with scrubs!

In any SANE company that demanded RESPONSIBILITY for failure, Ellis would have been fired by Bowlen the same day as McMoron.

But, like all too many corporations that are "too big to fail" there's apparently ZERO accountability for senior executives.

You just fail your way up the corporate ladder until you bankrupt the company and then when you're finally forced out get a Golden Parachute to float to safety in the Bahamas with your millions! :coffee:

Tned
01-05-2011, 07:42 PM
Abso-freaking-lutely! :tsk:

Who was it who is MOST responsible for destroying the franchise? Joe Ellis!

HE was the one who convinced Bowlen to hire McMoron.

HE was the one who let McMoron have the "final say" on draft and FA decisions.

HE was the one who let McMoron get rid of every talented player on the roster and replace them with scrubs!

In any SANE company that demanded RESPONSIBILITY for failure, Ellis would have been fired by Bowlen the same day as McMoron.

But, like all too many corporations that are "too big to fail" there's apparently ZERO accountability for senior executives.

You just fail your way up the corporate ladder until you bankrupt the company and then when you're finally forced out get a Golden Parachute to float to safety in the Bahamas with your millions! :coffee:

I'm not sure you had a single accurate statement in this post. At least you get an A for the high emotion.

Lancane
01-05-2011, 07:42 PM
Tned, if you want to try and insult me, then be my guest and PM me, I’m more then happy to trade insults with you, be a man about it. I’m not making shit up, I do have a clue how a corporate infrastructure is, and I am far from wrong.

The ultimate power lies with the Owner or the Board of Directors or Trustees (Directors) in the case of the Broncos, though under Bowlen as the controlling stock holder and chairman of the board. A board usually hires a chief executive officer that runs the corporation for them and has final say…who is the CEO of the Broncos’ Organization? Pat Bowlen, after the CEO there are two positions that would have clear cut power, depending on the structure itself, usually it’s the Executive President followed by the Executive Vice President and or a Chief Operations Officer. In some corporations the COO is above everyone else give the CEO, that is what we had this past season because Bowlen was the President and the Chief Executive Officer. Elway has taken a title that pretty much is a dual role, he’s the Executive Vice President of Football Operations, that’s the key. There was an Executive Vice President already, Rich Silvka, but he is the EVP of General Counsel, he is not part of the Operational Administration, but an advisor to them. Ellis’ official title is Executive President, though nobody really added the executive part to his title when speaking about it. But he wasn’t named Executive President of any particular area, such as finance or marketing and so on. He is more of a buffer between Pat and the other heads of certain divisions, John still has final say on almost all things football related or if he thought otherwise he’d take it to Bowlen. Ellis is more of an advisor, he’ll make decisions that he’s allowed to make, but not in regards to football or operations outside what he knows. In other words he’s had his balls lopped off, he is no longer in charge of operations and lost some of the power he had, it has been subjugated for the most part.

Tned, do you honestly think he’d fire John Elway, Brian Xanders or a Coach without getting permission from both Elway and Bowlen? Anything football related is through John, while I believe for the most part that anything else, such as marketing and finance will be through Joe and the individual heads of those departments. This is a partnership of sorts, but it was a way for Bowlen to not have to fire a friend and still limit the power he had inside the organization.

Northman
01-05-2011, 07:47 PM
Elway is just glowing about Tebow.

Cugel
01-05-2011, 07:48 PM

Firing Elway for any reason would cause a HUGE public relations problem in Colo. If Elway totally flunks his job (which we have no reason to expect) they might grit their teeth and do it, but otherwise I seriously doubt it.

Elway is a LOT more popular than anybody else in the entire State and especially ANYBODY on the current staff, Bowlen included.

That would mean that Joe Ellis is probably stuck with Elway and if he wants him out, will have to make things so uncomfortable for Elway that he quits.

But, Elway could always give a press conference and cause them endless grief by telling tales, so that's probably a risky course as well.

Tned
01-05-2011, 07:54 PM
Tned, if you want to try and insult me, then be my guest and PM me, I’m more then happy to trade insults with you, be a man about it. I’m not making shit up, I do have a clue how a corporate infrastructure is, and I am far from wrong.

The ultimate power lies with the Owner or the Board of Directors or Trustees (Directors) in the case of the Broncos, though under Bowlen as the controlling stock holder and chairman of the board. A board usually hires a chief executive officer that runs the corporation for them and has final say…who is the CEO of the Broncos’ Organization? Pat Bowlen, after the CEO there are two positions that would have clear cut power, depending on the structure itself, usually it’s the Executive President followed by the Executive Vice President and or a Chief Operations Officer. In some corporations the COO is above everyone else give the CEO, that is what we had this past season because Bowlen was the President and the Chief Executive Officer. Elway has taken a title that pretty much is a dual role, he’s the Executive Vice President of Football Operations, that’s the key. There was an Executive Vice President already, Rich Silvka, but he is the EVP of General Counsel, he is not part of the Operational Administration, but an advisor to them. Ellis’ official title is Executive President, though nobody really added the executive part to his title when speaking about it. But he wasn’t named Executive President of any particular area, such as finance or marketing and so on. He is more of a buffer between John and Pat, John still has final say on almost all things football related or if he thought otherwise he’d take it to Bowlen. Ellis is more of an advisor, he’ll make decisions that he’s allowed to make, but not in regards to football or operations outside what he knows. In other words he’s had his balls lopped off, he is no longer in charge of operations and lost some of the power he had, it has been subjugated for the most part.

Tned, do you honestly think he’d fire John Elway, Brian Xanders or a Coach without getting permission from both Elway and Bowlen? Anything football related is through John, while I believe for the most part that anything else, such as marketing and finance will be through Joe and the individual heads of those departments. This is a partnership of sorts, but it was a way for Bowlen to not have to fire a friend and still limit the power he had inside the organization.

You started the barb throwing when I disagreed with you. So get over it.

As to the rest, the only point I was making was your ridiculous comments about balls being lopped off and such.

I have never said that Ellis would be making football decisions. He wasn't before, and wouldn't now. That was just panic among fans. He is basically doing what he did before, which is filling the role that Bowlen used to fill on the team. Bowlen is still involved, but most of the day-to-day operations that Bowlen previously did, Ellis now does (both with his old title and the new one).

Did Bowlen micromanage football operations? No, he was never a Jerry Jones, and Ellis didn't either when he started taking on Bowlen's duties.

Your failure in logic is probably two fold. First, having preconceived, even if wrong, ideas and then seeing this move as confirming them. Second, believing that Ellis was heavily involved in football operations and no is no longer such.

As COO, football operations were NOT under his direct control, per the org chart, even if he clearly was between the football operations and Bowlen. Now, as President, he reports to Bowlen and Elway reports to Ellis.

Ellis, the team's newly named president, has been the chief operating officer for the club for the past three years and is a 16-year club employee. He has ultimate responsibility for the organization as team president, and his responsibilities with the club's business operations will include speaking on behalf of Bowlen on all matters involving the franchise.

Lancane
01-05-2011, 07:55 PM
Firing Elway for any reason would cause a HUGE public relations problem in Colo. If Elway totally flunks his job (which we have no reason to expect) they might grit their teeth and do it, but otherwise I seriously doubt it.

Elway is a LOT more popular than anybody else in the entire State and especially ANYBODY on the current staff, Bowlen included.

That would mean that Joe Ellis is probably stuck with Elway and if he wants him out, will have to make things so uncomfortable for Elway that he quits.

But, Elway could always give a press conference and cause them endless grief by telling tales, so that's probably a risky course as well.

The point I was getting at Cugel at least to Tned is that just because Ellis got a promotion as the Executive President doesn’t mean that he has more power then he did, in fact he’s lost some power. Bowlen and Elway are without a doubt the two most powerful individuals within that office now, not only internally where they both have tremendous support but also publicly, with the fans and community. I really think it was simply a way to keep Ellis involved without firing him and limiting his own power and destructiveness with the organization itself.

But I agree with you as well, we know Pat wouldn’t fire John easily, Ellis could cause some problems, but I don’t see him having enough power to do such and if Ellis tried to fire him…his luggage would be catching up with him down the road, cause Bowlen would fire him quicker then shit…at least that is my opinion.

Cugel
01-05-2011, 07:57 PM
I'm not sure you had a single accurate statement in this post. At least you get an A for the high emotion.

Do you believe that Brian Xanders was responsible for most of those decisions? Then he just accidentally lost all his power to McDaniels a few months later? :coffee:

Remember the articles that said that Xanders did NOT agree with all the personnel decisions that McDaniels made? How he wanted Orakpo instead of Moreno and Clay Matthews instead of Ayers? That he wasn't even informed about the Peyton Hillis trade until AFTER it happened?

Why didn't Xanders speak up and do something about it?

Answer: He didn't have the authority.

Question: Why didn't he have the authority?

Answer: Because Joe Ellis gave that authority to Josh McDaniels, and NOT Brian Xanders.

Who, then, bears the ultimate responsibility for allowing Josh McDaniels to gut the franchise for 2 years?

Was it Xanders or Joe Ellis? :coffee:

If you said "Brian Xanders" you FLUNK and will have to repeat the history of the last 2 seasons in Summer School!

topscribe
01-05-2011, 07:58 PM
The point I was getting at Cugel at least to Tned is that just because Ellis got a promotion as the Executive President doesn’t mean that he has more power then he did, in fact he’s lost some power. Bowlen and Elway are without a doubt the two most powerful individuals within that office now, not only internally where they both have tremendous support but also publicly, with the fans and community. I really think it was simply a way to keep Ellis involved without firing him and limiting his own power and destructiveness with the organization itself.

But I agree with you as well, we know Pat wouldn’t fire John easily, Ellis could cause some problems, but I don’t see him having enough power to do such and if Ellis tried to fire him…his luggage would be catching up with him down the road, cause Bowlen would fire him quicker then shit…at least that is my opinion.

Yes, but the question is, how quickly would he fire shit? :D

:couch:

-----

dogfish
01-05-2011, 07:58 PM

what we need is the guy who's going to be the best player for the organization long term-- a player who can be a real difference maker. . . OR, drop down five to ten spots where you still have pretty good odds (clady was #12, and he fits the profile when he's healthy), and add another valuable pick or two-- maybe even recoup some of the picks trader josh wasted, which we badly need to rebuild depth on the O-line and all over the defense. . .

unless you really think peterson is the guy (and i know you don't want a cornerback at #2 :laugh: ), then i don't know who you "can't miss on". . . we need to see the rest of the evaluation, but bowers just scares me at #2 given the history of one-year wonder pass rushers. . . you can hit big time, but they also bust entirely pretty ****in' frequently. . . we'll see where fairley ends up projecting, but if we had to get him at two i think i'd rather drop down and see if we can still get dareus (the more prototypical five-tech if we want to retain the 3-4), or maybe JJ watt. . .

and then use the 2nd you probably get to add another DL, or even package it with one of your own to move back into the 1st if you want someone like paea or heyward that moves up the board after the evaluation process is complete. . .

last year, i thought we could have moved down and still gotten the guys that were the best fits for us (brian bulaga, terrence cody, lamarr houston), and i think this year could be the same. . . fairley, bowers and quinn do become more attractive if we're going to switch back to the 4-3, but if we're keeping the 3-4 we can move down and still get the best guys for the positions we need filled-- and generate an extra pick to come back with a top nosetackle prospect like taylor or powe later on, which is how you accelerate the rebuilding process. . .

but remember, most defensive linemen not named suh take a while to develop and contribute much-- if all you want is the guy that's going to contribute right away, cornerback patrick peterson really is the obvious choice. . .

If John is actually qualified for the job, he will make sure he is surrounded with people that CAN make the personnel decisions. Whether that is Xanders or Xanders and a player development guy. If he isn't really qualified, then this could be a disaster.

I liked the way he said that there is no more hiding for Xanders, that he believes he can do the job, but he now has a chance to put his money where his mouth is.

yea, i liked that as well. . . i was REALLY hoping we'd go away from xanders entirely and get a top senior exec from a top franchise like decosta et al, but realistically i suppose this was always the best i was going to get. . .

i'm at least pleased that the voice immediately over xanders is a guy whose motives i trust completely, because job security isn't really a big concern to him. . . if xanders has to "get his shot," the thought that he's going to be on a short leash mollifies me somewhat. . .

we'll see. . . the coaching hire will be our first real look at what direction they plan to go. . .

Tned
01-05-2011, 08:02 PM
Do you believe that Brian Xanders was responsible for most of those decisions? Then he just accidentally lost all his power to McDaniels a few months later? :coffee:

Remember the articles that said that Xanders did NOT agree with all the personnel decisions that McDaniels made? How he wanted Orakpo instead of Moreno and Clay Matthews instead of Ayers? That he wasn't even informed about the Peyton Hillis trade until AFTER it happened?

Why didn't Xanders speak up and do something about it?

Answer: He didn't have the authority.

Question: Why didn't he have the authority?

Answer: Because Joe Ellis gave that authority to Josh McDaniels, and NOT Brian Xanders.

Who, then, bears the ultimate responsibility for allowing Josh McDaniels to gut the franchise for 2 years?

Was it Xanders or Joe Ellis? :coffee:

If you said "Brian Xanders" you FLUNK and will have to repeat the history of the last 2 seasons in Summer School!

Speaking of flunking, you skipped door number three, Pat Bowlen. Pat Bowlen fell in love with McDaniels in his interview. Decided he was the guy. Based on Ellis' press conference when McDaniels was fired, whch is all we have to go on beyond overactive imaginations, is that McDaniels was given full control because that was the way PAT BOWLEN always did -- that was his comfort level.

Cugel
01-05-2011, 08:04 PM

My point wasn't about the practicality of him screwing around with football operations. It's that he was personally responsible for inflicting Josh McDaniels on us for 2 years, gave him ultimate authority over the franchise and then sat back and watched while that imbecile systematically dismantled the team and shipped all the talented players out and replaced them with useless stiffs.

Normally, overseeing a monumental failure like this season would get you fired. Instead, because he's a crony of Bowlen's he gets a "promotion."

Exactly what I said in my previous post. It's a golden parachute instead of inflicting real responsibility by firing his sorry ASs!

Tned
01-05-2011, 08:05 PM
yea, i liked that as well. . . i was REALLY hoping we'd go away from xanders entirely and get a top senior exec from a top franchise like decosta et al, but realistically i suppose this was always the best i was going to get. . .

i'm at least pleased that the voice immediately over xanders is a guy whose motives i trust completely, because job security isn't really a big concern to him. . . if xanders has to "get his shot," the thought that he's going to be on a short leash mollifies me somewhat. . .

we'll see. . . the coaching hire will be our first real look at what direction they plan to go. . .

I know most of you guys wanted Xanders replaced, but based on his history, he is as qualified as many of the candidates thrown out (maybe not the Baltimore guy).

Unfortunately, many fans blame him for McDaniels mess, even there is no reason to believe so. I'm glad John spent time with him, talked to his former boss, and didn't make a knee jerk "clean house" reaction that the fans want.

If he can't do the job, then fire him, but if he's qualified, the team is better off with him than another equally qualified guy, because he doesn't have to get up to speed in Dove Valley like a new GM would.

Tned
01-05-2011, 08:06 PM
My point wasn't about the practicality of him screwing around with football operations. It's that he was personally responsible for inflicting Josh McDaniels on us for 2 years, gave him ultimate authority over the franchise and then sat back and watched while that imbecile systematically dismantled the team and shipped all the talented players out and replaced them with useless stiffs.

Normally, overseeing a monumental failure like this season would get you fired. Instead, because he's a crony of Bowlen's he gets a "promotion."

Exactly what I said in my previous post. It's a golden parachute instead of inflicting real responsibility by firing his sorry ASs!

Again, this is factually incorrect.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2011, 08:07 PM
Dominic Garcia from Ch4 was just reporting from the Broncos' team store, and finished up by saying that even though they still sell Elway Jerseys at the team store, this is the only one left, (showed it), as all the others were sold this past weekend.

Lancane
01-05-2011, 08:10 PM
Dominic Garcia from Ch4 was just reporting from the Broncos' team store, and finished up by saying that even though they still sell Elway Jerseys at the team store, this is the only one left, (showed it), as all the others were sold this past weekend.

That’s funny, Tebow has had the hottest selling jersey this past year, now Elway becoming the EVP of Football Operations has restarted the sell of his own jerseys.

I want that suit he wore the other day, the bright orange shirt with the black wool suit, that was badass!

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2011, 08:11 PM
You can now view the press conference on the Broncos site - Part 1 and Part 2

http://www.denverbroncos.com/

Cugel
01-05-2011, 08:11 PM
Speaking of flunking, you skipped door number three, Pat Bowlen. Pat Bowlen fell in love with McDaniels in his interview. Decided he was the guy. Based on Ellis' press conference when McDaniels was fired, whch is all we have to go on beyond overactive imaginations, is that McDaniels was given full control because that was the way PAT BOWLEN always did -- that was his comfort level.

That Bowlen had a role in hiring McDaniels is undeniable, although there's NO indication that Joe Ellis was not 100% on board with that decision. He certainly didn't try and deflect it or caution Bowlen against it.

As for McDaniels having ultimate authority, according to Xanders that "kinda just happened." That wasn't the original intent."

Well, my point is HOW did it "just happen?" HOW did Josh McDaniels seize total power within 4 months of coming in as coach while Brian Xanders was GM?

Answer: Joe Ellis let him do it. Xanders apparently didn't agree with McDaniels draft and FA decisions. He was the GM. He was SUPPOSED to have the final say over all player personnel decisions. But, he didn't.

Remember that the entire point of firing Shanahan wasn't that he was a bad coach -- his teams were 8-8. It was that he wasn't doing the job as GM and would never agree to having his power reduced and promoting a real GM over him. Bowlen knew better than to try that because Shanny wouldn't accept it.

Bowlen and Ellis both stated that the new coach would NOT have that ultimate power.

Well, if there was a conflict between what Xanders thought, and what McDaniels wanted who had the power to decide?

Joe Ellis, that's who. He was superior in the organization to both of them.

He could easily have reminded McDaniels that he was hired to COACH and that Xanders was supposed to be the GM.

Instead he apparently did the exact opposite. He let McDaniels have total power and did nothing to stop him from destroying everything he touched.

Why didn't he go to Bowlen, his close friend, and say "Pat, this is just not working! Josh has too much authority and is not handling the player personnel decisions properly. We need to give Brian the ultimate responsibility over that."

It's not as if McDaniels could complain. When he originally took the job it was NOT with the understanding that he would also be the GM!

(Once again, Xanders said "that wasn't the original intent. It kinda just happened.")

Josh McDaniels staged a coup, and Joe Ellis let him do it without taking any action to stop it!

Tned
01-05-2011, 08:12 PM
Direct link to part 2:

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/John-Elway-Press-Conference---Part-1/af79b952-9d91-472e-98e3-5f3aa1243389

Tned
01-05-2011, 08:17 PM
That Bowlen had a role in hiring McDaniels is undeniable, although there's NO indication that Joe Ellis was not 100% on board with that decision. He certainly didn't try and deflect it or caution Bowlen against it.

As for McDaniels having ultimate authority, according to Xanders that "kinda just happened." That wasn't the original intent.

Well, my point is HOW did it "just happen?" HOW did Josh McDaniels seize total power within 4 months of coming in as coach while Brian Xanders was GM?

Answer: Joe Ellis let him do it. Xanders apparently didn't agree with McDaniels draft and FA decisions. He was the GM. He was SUPPOSED to have the final say over all player personnel decisions. But, he didn't.

Well, if there was a conflict between what Xanders thought, and what McDaniels wanted who had the power to decide?

Joe Ellis, that's who. He was superior in the organization to both of them.

He could easily have reminded McDaniels that he was hired to COACH and that Xanders was supposed to be the GM.

Instead he apparently did the exact opposite. He let McDaniels have total power and did nothing to stop him from destroying everything he touched.

Why didn't he go to Bowlen, his close friend, and say "Pat, this is just not working! Josh has too much authority and is not handling the player personnel decisions properly. We need to give Brian the ultimate responsibility over that."

It's not as if McDaniels could complain. When he originally took the job it was NOT with the understanding that he would also be the GM!

(Once again, Xanders said "that wasn't the original intent. It kinda just happened.")

Josh McDaniels staged a coup, and Joe Ellis let him do it without taking any action to stop it!

It was well reported at the time that McDaniels was hired that Bowlen basically fell in love with him in the first interview, Ellis (possibly goodman and Xanders) did a followup, and then brought it back to Bowlen who made the decision.

As to the rest, you have to first assume that the guy that bowlen has being his spokesman is lying through his teeth, by saying it was the way Bowlen wanted it (McDaniels full control), when in fact Ellis did it without Bowlen's knowledge.

I can only make judgements based on what we know and has been reported, based on that, your statements are completely inaccurate. There is no question that Bowlen and Ellis both made a bad decision in letting McDaniels take full control, but there is ZERO evidence that it was Ellis' doing.

claymore
01-05-2011, 08:19 PM
what we need is the guy who's going to be the best player for the organization long term-- a player who can be a real difference maker. . . OR, drop down five to ten spots where you still have pretty good odds (clady was #12, and he fits the profile when he's healthy), and add another valuable pick or two-- maybe even recoup some of the picks trader josh wasted, which we badly need to rebuild depth on the O-line and all over the defense. . .

unless you really think peterson is the guy (and i know you don't want a cornerback at #2 :laugh: ), then i don't know who you "can't miss on". . . we need to see the rest of the evaluation, but bowers just scares me at #2 given the history of one-year wonder pass rushers. . . you can hit big time, but they also bust entirely pretty ****in' frequently. . . we'll see where fairley ends up projecting, but if we had to get him at two i think i'd rather drop down and see if we can still get dareus (the more prototypical five-tech if we want to retain the 3-4), or maybe JJ watt. . .

and then use the 2nd you probably get to add another DL, or even package it with one of your own to move back into the 1st if you want someone like paea or heyward that moves up the board after the evaluation process is complete. . .

last year, i thought we could have moved down and still gotten the guys that were the best fits for us (brian bulaga, terrence cody, lamarr houston), and i think this year could be the same. . . fairley, bowers and quinn do become more attractive if we're going to switch back to the 4-3, but if we're keeping the 3-4 we can move down and still get the best guys for the positions we need filled-- and generate an extra pick to come back with a top nosetackle prospect like taylor or powe later on, which is how you accelerate the rebuilding process. . .

but remember, most defensive linemen not named suh take a while to develop and contribute much-- if all you want is the guy that's going to contribute right away, cornerback patrick peterson really is the obvious choice. . .

CB isnt going to help us for awhile IMO. We are fine with what we got. I dont see us moving out of the #2 overall. Even if we offered it up for free.

I dont like the one hit wonders on d lineman either. I also think that a rookie could be just as good if not better than the majority of our front 7.

Lancane
01-05-2011, 08:54 PM
Yes, but the question is, how quickly would he fire shit? :D

:couch:

-----

Well at his age, probably rather quickly…after all you know how older men are with their fiber and all!

:fear:

topscribe
01-05-2011, 08:56 PM
Well at his age, probably rather quickly…after all you know how older men are with their fiber and all!

:fear:

You getting personal now, Cane? http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/thannoyed-1.gif

-----

Lancane
01-05-2011, 10:15 PM
You getting personal now, Cane? http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/thannoyed-1.gif

-----

Me? Really, do you think I would ever do that old buddy? :angel:
It’s sucks at times when your friends know you so damn well! :aetsch:

Simple Jaded
01-06-2011, 03:36 AM
Elway: Faced with the monumental task of rebuilding the wasteland that remains from the most inept and incompetent FO in recent memory, he also has a long way to go to prove that his hiring wasn't just another clumsy attempt at Public Relations. Fixing this mess outta do the trick.

Ellis and Xanders: Un-*******-believable! How anybody from the McDaniels Error could survive the bloodletting is a mystery. From where l sit this is either another sign that the stench of incompetence still permeates the walls at Dove Valley or further proof that Pat Bowlen is as cheap as they get.......or both.

Hire the worst head coach the franchise has ever seen and get promoted? You gotta love politics.......

zbeg
01-06-2011, 06:26 AM
I can only make judgements based on what we know and has been reported, based on that, your statements are completely inaccurate. There is no question that Bowlen and Ellis both made a bad decision in letting McDaniels take full control, but there is ZERO evidence that it was Ellis' doing.

And even if that is the case, Ellis is ostensibly no longer going to be making any football-related decisions, since that's now Elway's realm. It's likely that Ellis has value from a business standpoint and that's his forte, so retaining him to do all the other stuff (tickets, sponsors, stadium finances, etc.) while giving Elway powers over the stuff that we care about seems like a completely fine move.

I'm not lining up to be the head of the Joe Ellis fan club, but if Elway's the football guy and Ellis is the non-football finances guy, that seems like a fine setup, even if Ellis was responsible for handing full power over to McDaniels (which he may or may not have; I'm leaning towards no, since there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of evidence to support that), since this setup keeps Ellis away from the football side. And that's the part we really care about.

Now if Ellis doesn't switch to orange jerseys in 2012 as reported, well...there's going to be trouble.

Tned
01-06-2011, 08:00 AM
And even if that is the case, Ellis is ostensibly no longer going to be making any football-related decisions, since that's now Elway's realm. It's likely that Ellis has value from a business standpoint and that's his forte, so retaining him to do all the other stuff (tickets, sponsors, stadium finances, etc.) while giving Elway powers over the stuff that we care about seems like a completely fine move.

I'm not lining up to be the head of the Joe Ellis fan club, but if Elway's the football guy and Ellis is the non-football finances guy, that seems like a fine setup, even if Ellis was responsible for handing full power over to McDaniels (which he may or may not have; I'm leaning towards no, since there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of evidence to support that), since this setup keeps Ellis away from the football side. And that's the part we really care about.

Now if Ellis doesn't switch to orange jerseys in 2012 as reported, well...there's going to be trouble.

While nobody knows how things will work in pracice (even if some claim they do), all that the Ellis promotion does is move him from ONLY over the business side, to now running the entire Broncos organization. As COO, football operations were not part of his job title, at least as published by the Broncos. Now, he is President, which all indications means that Elway reports to him (and which is consistant with a CEO, President, VP relationship).

Based on what we know, the only impact he had on football operations was helping Pat with the HC hunt last time and firing McDaniels. Clearly, something happened with the power shift, and presumably Ellis with Bowlens support or at Bowlen's direction, fired Goodman and gave or let McDaniels have full control. Clearly, none of us know exactly what happened there.

zbeg
01-06-2011, 08:18 AM
While nobody knows how things will work in pracice (even if some claim they do), all that the Ellis promotion does is move him from ONLY over the business side, to now running the entire Broncos organization. As COO, football operations were not part of his job title, at least as published by the Broncos. Now, he is President, which all indications means that Elway reports to him (and which is consistant with a CEO, President, VP relationship).

Based on what we know, the only impact he had on football operations was helping Pat with the HC hunt last time and firing McDaniels. Clearly, something happened with the power shift, and presumably Ellis with Bowlens support or at Bowlen's direction, fired Goodman and gave or let McDaniels have full control. Clearly, none of us know exactly what happened there.

The other impact he had on football operations that we know of is significant, however. That being the decision to pull the Champ Bailey contract extension off the table, citing concerns over uncertainty regarding the CBA. So in that sense, he could affect football operations by hamstringing Elway/Xanders in terms of budget, especially if there's no salary cap.

I don't know how likely that is either, but the Champ non-extension is an example of Ellis/Bowlen adversely affecting football operations in a way that doesn't involve actually being involved in football operations.

Tned
01-06-2011, 08:22 AM
The other impact he had on football operations that we know of is significant, however. That being the decision to pull the Champ Bailey contract extension off the table, citing concerns over uncertainty regarding the CBA. So in that sense, he could affect football operations by hamstringing Elway/Xanders in terms of budget, especially if there's no salary cap.

I don't know how likely that is either, but the Champ non-extension is an example of Ellis/Bowlen adversely affecting football operations in a way that doesn't involve actually being involved in football operations.

I must have missed that. I never saw that attributed to Ellis.

zbeg
01-06-2011, 08:35 AM
I must have missed that. I never saw that attributed to Ellis.

Well, Bowlen/Ellis. It's hard to untangle the two:

"The 11th-hour decision to yank Bailey from his future was not made by Broncos coach Josh McDaniels or general manager Brian Xanders.

This decision came from above. According to NFL sources close to these negotiations, Broncos owner Pat Bowlen and chief operating officer Joe Ellis made the call Tuesday to suspend talks until after the season."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16299738?source=rss

Tned
01-06-2011, 08:45 AM
Well, Bowlen/Ellis. It's hard to untangle the two:

"The 11th-hour decision to yank Bailey from his future was not made by Broncos coach Josh McDaniels or general manager Brian Xanders.

This decision came from above. According to NFL sources close to these negotiations, Broncos owner Pat Bowlen and chief operating officer Joe Ellis made the call Tuesday to suspend talks until after the season."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16299738?source=rss

Unfortunately, a lot of people have been selectively separating Ellis/Bowlen. Attributing all of the bad things, McDaniels hiring, McDaniels being given full control, etc. to Ellis, and good things firing McDaniels, bringing in Elway, etc. to Bowlen. Unfortunately it's the mentality of needing a scapegoat/someone to hate, I guess.

On the contract, you can pretty much be assured that if that is considered "football operations" that's the kind of impact that Ellis will have going forward as well. That of course is assuming it was financially driven / based on looming CBA issues.

It could have also been driven by the fact they knew they would likely be firing McDaniels, were in a 5-15 stretch (or whatever the record was then) and wanted to sort out the new head coach and what level of rebuilding the team would be doing.

If it was the former, then Ellis or Ellis/Bowlen will probably be the ones that makes the same call next time. If it was the latter, than presumably Elway and his GM (currently Xanders) would be making the call on the player, even if the HC were being replaced.

zbeg
01-06-2011, 09:07 AM
Unfortunately, a lot of people have been selectively separating Ellis/Bowlen. Attributing all of the bad things, McDaniels hiring, McDaniels being given full control, etc. to Ellis, and good things firing McDaniels, bringing in Elway, etc. to Bowlen. Unfortunately it's the mentality of needing a scapegoat/someone to hate, I guess.

On the contract, you can pretty much be assured that if that is considered "football operations" that's the kind of impact that Ellis will have going forward as well. That of course is assuming it was financially driven / based on looming CBA issues.

It could have also been driven by the fact they knew they would likely be firing McDaniels, were in a 5-15 stretch (or whatever the record was then) and wanted to sort out the new head coach and what level of rebuilding the team would be doing.

If it was the former, then Ellis or Ellis/Bowlen will probably be the ones that makes the same call next time. If it was the latter, than presumably Elway and his GM (currently Xanders) would be making the call on the player, even if the HC were being replaced.

It's possible that they knew they were going to fire McDaniels at that point, but unilkely. The Broncos were 2-2 at the time when the Bailey contract was nixed, so I don't see any reason to believe that the Broncos thought that they were going to have to fire McDaniels and then re-evaluate. Spygate 2 hadn't happened yet, nor had the Raiders home loss, so I don't think that's a consideration.

I tend to, rightly or wrongly, assume that all of the former Bowlen-esque decisions are being driven by Ellis, good or bad. My thinking is that with Bowlen getting older, having short-term memory loss and such, he's turned things over to Ellis and while he knows what's going on, isn't the driving force behind a majority of the decisions. Perhaps that's foolish, but in any case the two are sort of the same entity to me at this point.

Regarding Ellis being the scapegoat, you're right; things are rarely as black-and-white as a lot of people make them out to be. Josh McDaniels was neither the worst coach in the history of the NFL, nor the best. Marshall had some issues with the coaching and probably needed to grow up a little, but isn't a talentless hack, and the same goes for Cutler, etc. It just doesn't make for very good message board arm-flailing if you can't take an extreme position. :-)

AND ALL EXTREME POSITIONS ARE THE WORST THING IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD.

Tned
01-06-2011, 10:33 AM
It's possible that they knew they were going to fire McDaniels at that point, but unilkely. The Broncos were 2-2 at the time when the Bailey contract was nixed, so I don't see any reason to believe that the Broncos thought that they were going to have to fire McDaniels and then re-evaluate. Spygate 2 hadn't happened yet, nor had the Raiders home loss, so I don't think that's a consideration.

I tend to, rightly or wrongly, assume that all of the former Bowlen-esque decisions are being driven by Ellis, good or bad. My thinking is that with Bowlen getting older, having short-term memory loss and such, he's turned things over to Ellis and while he knows what's going on, isn't the driving force behind a majority of the decisions. Perhaps that's foolish, but in any case the two are sort of the same entity to me at this point.

Regarding Ellis being the scapegoat, you're right; things are rarely as black-and-white as a lot of people make them out to be. Josh McDaniels was neither the worst coach in the history of the NFL, nor the best. Marshall had some issues with the coaching and probably needed to grow up a little, but isn't a talentless hack, and the same goes for Cutler, etc. It just doesn't make for very good message board arm-flailing if you can't take an extreme position. :-)

AND ALL EXTREME POSITIONS ARE THE WORST THING IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD.

I was thinking the contract being pulled was just a week or two before the firing, but was going my memory (which apparently isn't very good :D).

Very good post, by the way.

While my guess is that Bowlen's influence on the firing Shanahan, hiring of McDaiels, etc. than most people make it out to be, that is just assumes that what has been reported and said by either Bowlen or Ellis on Bowlen's behalf is accurate. Those that believe otherwise, have to assume that Ellis lied about Bowlen's involment during the firing of McDaniels (for instance) and Bowlen is too far gone to notice or care.

The other ironic thing is that many of the people that claim Ellis is calling all the shots, also used the "McDaniels didn't trade Cutler, Bowlen did" argument. Shouldn't that be "Ellis traded him" if he has so much control?

Further, if he has so much control that he can lie about Bowlen's involvement with Bowlen not being aware enough to do anything about it, than those claiming he was 'moved aside' must believe that Ellis did it to himself, since in their version of what happened, Ellis calls all the shots.

Spiritguy
01-06-2011, 01:16 PM
For those of you that like to read (9 pages) or are on sat internet so you can't watch a lot of video :tsk: ) here is a link to the transcript (PDF FILE) of the presser.

get it here (http://media.denverbroncos.com/images/9008/Transcripts/110105_Elway.pdf)

liked that John wants to surround himself with quality people that know the things he doesn't, and that he wants, and is willing to learn from them about those things he currently doesn't know.

pnbronco
01-06-2011, 01:24 PM
I was thinking the contract being pulled was just a week or two before the firing, but was going my memory (which apparently isn't very good :D).

Very good post, by the way.

While my guess is that Bowlen's influence on the firing Shanahan, hiring of McDaiels, etc. than most people make it out to be, that is just assumes that what has been reported and said by either Bowlen or Ellis on Bowlen's behalf is accurate. Those that believe otherwise, have to assume that Ellis lied about Bowlen's involment during the firing of McDaniels (for instance) and Bowlen is too far gone to notice or care.

The other ironic thing is that many of the people that claim Ellis is calling all the shots, also used the "McDaniels didn't trade Cutler, Bowlen did" argument. Shouldn't that be "Ellis traded him" if he has so much control?

Further, if he has so much control that he can lie about Bowlen's involvement with Bowlen not being aware enough to do anything about it, than those claiming he was 'moved aside' must believe that Ellis did it to himself, since in their version of what happened, Ellis calls all the shots.

You were working so much during that time it all get jumbled, at least it does in my brain. There was a almost 2 month difference between Champ's contract getting pulled and Josh getting fired.

I will wait to see how all this works out. I feel like they have made a cleaner your are responsible for this and he's responsible for that, which builds in accountability. I just feel like when you work with people nothing is black and white.

topscribe
01-06-2011, 02:01 PM
I just want Nolan back . . . http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/thhuh.gif

-----

Denver Native (Carol)
01-06-2011, 02:14 PM
After John's press conference yesterday, Gary Miller sat down with John & Pat, and ran a little bit of that last night on 10:00 sports. The entire sit down will be aired on Sunday night. Of what ch4 ran last night, the last thing John said was that he will be running everything past Pat.

topscribe
01-06-2011, 02:22 PM
After John's press conference yesterday, Gary Miller sat down with John & Pat, and ran a little bit of that last night on 10:00 sports. The entire sit down will be aired on Sunday night. Of what ch4 ran last night, the last thing John said was that he will be running everything past Pat.

That is good to hear. That seems to have been missing at least during the
last few years of the Shanahan administration and all through that of
McDaniels'.

-----

Tned
01-06-2011, 02:25 PM
For those claiming that Ellis' promotion is fake, and is simply a way of quietly moving him out of the picture, Elway seems to disagree:

With Harbaugh’s price tag now in the $5 million to $7 million-range annually, he may too expensive for the Broncos’ budget, which will currently pay at least $5 million next year to fired head coaches Mike Shanahan and Josh McDaniels.

Economics have to be a factor in the Broncos’ selection of a new head coach.

“”Well, a little bit, I would guess,’’ Elway said Wednesday. “”But I have not talked to Joe (Ellis) about that, exactly what that is. So, ultimately, Joe’s going to be a part of those conversations. With Joe being president, he’s going to be able to set those perimeters for us.’’

It's worth reading Klis' full blog post here (http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/)

topscribe
01-06-2011, 02:37 PM
For those claiming that Ellis' promotion is fake, and is simply a way of quietly moving him out of the picture, Elway seems to disagree:

It's worth reading Klis' full blog post here (http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/)

It's my understanding that, essentially, Elway will be in charge of the football
side and Ellis will be in charge of the administration and marketing side. So
the decision Elway is referring to in that quote would fall under Ellis . . .

-----

Tned
01-06-2011, 04:09 PM
It's my understanding that, essentially, Elway will be in charge of the football
side and Ellis will be in charge of the administration and marketing side. So
the decision Elway is referring to in that quote would fall under Ellis . . .

-----

What's been reported, is that Ellis is President and have ultimate responsibility for the organization, with Elway reporting to him, and Ellis reporting to Bowlen (although I'm sure in practice, the three will make many joint decisions on the business side).

What's being claimed by some forum members is that Ellis' promotion is actually a disguise and really a demotion (or "ball lopping off"), and that Elway would report directly to Bowlen and Ellis has been pushed aside.

Unless they are all working REALLY hard to keep up this ruse, I think the initial reports (including the Broncos press release/web announcement) and Elway's comments, make it clear that Ellis hasn't been pushed out of the picture with a fake promotion.

Instead, Ellis is assuming Bowlen's title and function, as President of the Broncos org. Like when Shanahan was VP of Football. Bowlen had ultimate say in setting the parameters that Shanahan had to work within, but Shanahan ran the show on a day-to-day basis and made those day-to-day football decisions.

All indications are that in the new structure, it is akin to Elway = Shanahan and Ellis = Bowlen.

topscribe
01-06-2011, 05:18 PM
What's been reported, is that Ellis is President and have ultimate responsibility for the organization, with Elway reporting to him, and Ellis reporting to Bowlen (although I'm sure in practice, the three will make many joint decisions on the business side).

What's being claimed by some forum members is that Ellis' promotion is actually a disguise and really a demotion (or "ball lopping off"), and that Elway would report directly to Bowlen and Ellis has been pushed aside.

Unless they are all working REALLY hard to keep up this ruse, I think the initial reports (including the Broncos press release/web announcement) and Elway's comments, make it clear that Ellis hasn't been pushed out of the picture with a fake promotion.

Instead, Ellis is assuming Bowlen's title and function, as President of the Broncos org. Like when Shanahan was VP of Football. Bowlen had ultimate say in setting the parameters that Shanahan had to work within, but Shanahan ran the show on a day-to-day basis and made those day-to-day football decisions.

All indications are that in the new structure, it is akin to Elway = Shanahan and Ellis = Bowlen.

I agree with you in that I also believe Ellis' promotion was not "fake." You
are right, according to what I gathered from Elway: Elway reports to Ellis,
but Ellis is apparently granting Elway near automomy on football decisions,
whereas Ellis is fully taking over the financial/marketing side of it. Anyway,
that was my impression . . .

-----

Tned
01-06-2011, 05:21 PM
I agree with you in that I also believe Ellis' promotion was not "fake." You
are right, according to what I gathered from Elway: Elway reports to Ellis,
but Ellis is apparently granting Elway near automomy on football decisions,
whereas Ellis is fully taking over the financial/marketing side of it. Anyway,
that was my impression . . .

-----

As it is mine. Again, to me, it seems akin to the Bowlen/Shanahan relationship when Shanny was VP of Football. Bowlen was never a Jerry Jones, and Ellis is filling the Bowlen role.

Lancane
01-06-2011, 06:26 PM
As it is mine. Again, to me, it seems akin to the Bowlen/Shanahan relationship when Shanny was VP of Football. Bowlen was never a Jerry Jones, and Ellis is filling the Bowlen role.

So let's say that you're right Tned, then does that mean that Xanders is more of a Director of Player Personnel then an actual General Manager? Is he another Sundquist or another Beake?

Tned
01-06-2011, 07:16 PM
So let's say that you're right Tned, then does that mean that Xanders is more of a Director of Player Personnel then an actual General Manager? Is he another Sundquist or another Beake?

As to being right, I'm pretty sure I am. This is from Legwold today:

Ellis also has been the target of plenty of shots in the public discourse about the team's struggles. He has taken the mistake the team made on McDaniels hard, his friends and associates have said.

And Bowlen has promoted him for his efforts and for the job to come.

Elway will run the team's football operation, but Ellis is still running the entire organization for Bowlen, including what Elway is doing.

Read more: Analysis: Bowlen's front-office decisions are predictable - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17020107?source=rss#ixzz1AItKIxwz

"including what Elway is doing."

As to your question:

Shanahan wore three hats. His title was VP of Football operations, but he was also the GM and HC. That is now going to be three jobs held by three different people.

All indications are that Xanders will be a 'true' GM. There will obviously be a HC. Elway as VP of FB, will run both of them (not clear yet of HC will report to GM or directly to Elway).

Elway will report to Ellis. Like with Shanahan, I would expect Elway to be pretty autonomous in running the FB side, but will have to report to Ellis.