PDA

View Full Version : Broncos to speak with Fewell and Williams

The Experience
01-05-2011, 03:51 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17012481

dogfish
01-05-2011, 03:56 AM
Broncos officials will travel to Atlanta to interview Falcons offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey on Friday. In addition, the Broncos are looking to line up interviews with two defensive coordinators, Gregg Williams of the New Orleans Saints and Perry Fewell of the New York Giants, according to John Elway, who will be announced today as the team's vice president of football operations.

Interim head coach Eric Studesville is the other known candidate. Another potential candidate is Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh. Elway was at the Orange Bowl game Monday night as an honorary captain for Stanford, which beat Virginia Tech 40-12, but said he did not have a chance to talk to Harbaugh.

Read more: Broncos to interview Falcons offensive coordinator Mularkey - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17012481#ixzz1A9K3opWd
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

yep, just saw this. . . i like these candidates considerably more than mularkey-- fewell in particular. . .

let it be done, john. . .

UrbanBounca
01-05-2011, 03:58 AM
I'm happy with either of them, so long as they don't bring back Studesville.

SR
01-05-2011, 04:05 AM
What's wrong with Studesville? He's not a big name, high priced coach from a perennial playoff team who the very thought of translates to instant success?

That being said, I like the idea of Fewell.

BroncoStud
01-05-2011, 04:14 AM
This just keeps getting worse by the day...

SR
01-05-2011, 04:42 AM
Huh?

BroncoBJ
01-05-2011, 05:32 AM
Why does everyone like Fewell so much? I don't know much about the guy so Just wondering why people been gushing over him so much.

Wouldn't really want Greg Williams as a HC though. Hes had his shot. But I am glad that were at least making moves and interviewing some coaches and getting coaches lined out. Nice to hear about it.

Gonna be an exciting time. Always 1 of my favorite times of the year. :elefant:

BroncoBJ
01-05-2011, 05:41 AM
BTW, I just noticed that all were doing is interviewing former Bills coaches. I'd like to try coaches from other teams as well. :coffee:

Mularkey was a head coach there. Fewell was an interim head coach there for a little while, Gregg Williams was once the HC over there. And Eric Studesville was there last year. :coffee:

Hopefully by the end of the week theres a list of 10 people that we are interviewing. :salute:

SR
01-05-2011, 07:40 AM
I'm certainly not gushing over Fewell, but of the people named so far I like his the most.

chazoe60
01-05-2011, 07:58 AM
Well the Browncos sucked, maybe the Billcos will be better.

zbeg
01-05-2011, 07:58 AM
BTW, I just noticed that all were doing is interviewing former Bills coaches. I'd like to try coaches from other teams as well. :coffee:

I wonder what Marv Levy is doing these days.

SR
01-05-2011, 08:03 AM
I wonder what Marv Levy is doing these days.

Apparently just Coors Light commercials.

slim
01-05-2011, 10:24 AM
I don't like the "short-list" they have compiled.

I would rather have Rick Dennison than any of these guys.

BroncoWave
01-05-2011, 10:32 AM
I don't get the fascination with Dennison, other than that he was one of Shanny's top guys. I'd rather have any of the 3 guys interviewed than him.

slim
01-05-2011, 10:39 AM
I don't get the fascination with Dennison, other than that he was one of Shanny's top guys. I'd rather have any of the 3 guys interviewed than him.

Why don't you like Rick?

To me, he is a well rounded coach. He has experience on defense (as a player) and has coached special teams, OL and been an OC.

He understands the importance of a strong running game (and I assume a stout defense). I think he would give attention to all three phases of the game (which we desperately need).

Northman
01-05-2011, 10:46 AM
I would bring Williams in as DC, not HC, just DC.

JONtheBRONCO
01-05-2011, 01:01 PM
Dennsion would be #1 on my list.

Nick
01-05-2011, 04:00 PM
What a joke...

dogfish
01-05-2011, 04:02 PM
Why don't you like Rick?

To me, he is a well rounded coach. He has experience on defense (as a player) and has coached special teams, OL and been an OC.

He understands the importance of a strong running game (and I assume a stout defense). I think he would give attention to all three phases of the game (which we desperately need).

not worth taking the chance that his idea of defense looks anything like the guys he learned to coach from. . . JMO, but i don't want anyone from the shanahan/kubiak tree within a hundred miles of any position here higher than offensive coordinator . . . ever!

Ziggy
01-05-2011, 04:34 PM
I'm surprised that there has been no mention of Jim Fassel coming on for an interview.

BeefStew25
01-05-2011, 04:37 PM
The Fewell interview scares me, as we have already interviewed a black person.

slim
01-05-2011, 04:38 PM
not worth taking the chance that his idea of defense looks anything like the guys he learned to coach from. . . JMO, but i don't want anyone from the shanahan/kubiak tree within a hundred miles of any position here higher than offensive coordinator . . . ever!

As long as he didn't bring in Frank Bush or Bob Slowik to be DC, I think I would be OK.

Lancane
01-05-2011, 04:44 PM
John said that we still haven't contacted half of our candidate list, we also have another candidate list that they haven't gotten to as of yet. So we are likely to see about four to six more candidates contacted within the next week and a half to two weeks.

I think we'll interview Rivera and Fassel, I don't really want any of the three that have been mentioned as far as Fewell, Mularkey or Williams, and why the hell are we talking to coaches that all spent time in Buffalo? Have they become the what the Browns were once to us?

slim
01-05-2011, 05:26 PM
I think Dick Jauron is available!

Oh, and Wade Philips!

vettesplus
01-05-2011, 05:29 PM
John said that we still haven't contacted half of our candidate list, we also have another candidate list that they haven't gotten to as of yet. So we are likely to see about four to six more candidates contacted within the next week and a half to two weeks.

I think we'll interview Rivera and Fassel, I don't really want any of the three that have been mentioned as far as Fewell, Mularkey or Williams, and why the hell are we talking to coaches that all spent time in Buffalo? Have they become the what the Browns were once to us?

who is we????

BroncoAV06
01-05-2011, 05:31 PM
1) Love the overreaction 2) When did everyone become coaching gurus?
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Lancane
01-05-2011, 05:40 PM
who is we????

We, as in both the organization and the fans of that same said organization, it's a large exclusive group.

;)

I Eat Staples
01-05-2011, 05:43 PM
Read more: Broncos to interview Falcons offensive coordinator Mularkey - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17012481#ixzz1A9K3opWd
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

yep, just saw this. . . i like these candidates considerably more than mularkey-- fewell in particular. . .

let it be done, john. . .

Completely agree, Mularkey is okay, I like Greg Williams, and I really like Perry Fewell.

Nick
01-05-2011, 05:52 PM
Rather then hiring one of these guys, firing them, and paying them while not employed with us... Let Harbaugh know we are willing to pay him.

If not able to swing away leaving Palo Alto area, let Urban Meyer know he can spend time with his family in Denver.

Ravage!!!
01-05-2011, 06:05 PM
Well the Browncos sucked, maybe the Billcos will be better.

I think we went to the AFC Championship Game with the Browncos

Lancane
01-05-2011, 06:22 PM
Completely agree, Mularkey is okay, I like Greg Williams, and I really like Perry Fewell.

Maybe it’s just me or maybe not, but I really am not that impressed with those we have interviews with, not Mularkey or Fewell that‘s for sure, but I am intrigued by Williams some though.

What has Fewell really done? Granted he did well this year, but let’s not forget that, that particular unit was in place before he inherited it, Spagnuolo had more to do with it as did the General Manager who drafted those players. Are they statistically better then before he got there? A little, but not by much. And what of his time in Buffalo as the Defensive Coordinator? Statistically they got worse and then improved only slightly but not by leaps and bounds. He never fielded a top ten defensive unit in Buffalo nor even a top fifteen, he’s been a part of some good defenses as a Defensive Backs Coach, but other then that and this one season in New York, I don’t see his qualifications to be a Head Coach. Are we basing his qualifications on his time as an Interim Head Coach? Because then Mularkey is far more qualified.

And let’s look at Mularkey, he’s not much better then Fewell when it comes to a resume, he did some good in Pittsburgh, but if you look at the stats, the times he’s been an Offensive Coordinator give in Atlanta, the units he’s coached have gone from solid to mediocre rather quickly. He did an alright job as a Head Coach in Buffalo, but let’s face it, they wanted to go in a different direction. And we could attribute his success in Atlanta to better personnel, especially with having Ryan as his quarterback. But I worry if he is the right man with not having the pedigree to actually mold a kid into a good quarterback, something we really need with Tebow.

Williams is probably the best candidate out of the bunch, given his track record and stats. Granted he did not do well as the Head Coach in Buffalo, but he’s made the defenses better almost everywhere he’s been. And he knows how to remain with one team for more then short stints after coaching under Fisher for so many years. He helped the Saints get to the post season twice and win a world championship. So literally of the three we have interviews with he is the only one I would be okay with…though I would prefer if he was a 3-4 defensive type coach, but no matter, he still seems a logical choice out of those thus mentioned so far.