PDA

View Full Version : USA Today article on Tebow

PAINTERDAVE
01-04-2011, 10:23 PM
Tim Tebow's (FSY) three-week audition as Denver's starting quarterback provided plenty of fodder for the debate over his worthiness as an NFL passer.

More importantly, it delivered much-needed experience for the spirited but raw rookie, plenty of film for the next coaching staff to study and lots of energy and optimism for the team and its fans, who suffered through the Broncos' worst season ever.

"I think it was good for everybody," chief operating officer Joe Ellis said.

Well, maybe except for Kyle Orton (FSY), the prolific passer who lost his starting job last month when he suffered bruised ribs and two poor performances in a row, leaving his future up in the Mile High air.

What Tebow lacked in polish he made up for in energy and emotion, rallying the Broncos (4-12) to one fourth-quarter comeback and coming within one tipped pass of another.

His teammates, some of whom were skeptical at first, loved the passion he brought to the huddle.

Read the full article at: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/broncos/2011-01-04-tim-tebow_N.htm

EMB6903
01-04-2011, 10:25 PM
The requested document was not found.

links not working.

lgenf
01-04-2011, 10:27 PM
I found it

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/broncos/2011-01-04-tim-tebow_N.htm

chazoe60
01-04-2011, 10:34 PM
. Although he couldn't throw passes for a while after injuring his ribs Dec. 12 at Arizona, Orton said he doesn't believe he warranted a benching for the final three games and said that if he returns to Denver next season it should be as the starter.

"They're going to make a decision based as an organization on what they want to do," Orton said. "But certainly with my play, I don't feel like I opened the door for anybody."

Kyle Orton's comments are getting shittier and shittier. Did this dumbass even watch the film of his last two starts. His games against KC and Arizona are as bad of games as I have seen of a Broncos starting QB. I can't wait till this moron is no longer a Bronco.

Go suck for another team loser.

hamrob
01-04-2011, 10:49 PM
Orton needs to say that. He wants to start and any team that might be interested is going to want to believe he's starting material. I don't blame him for putting that face on...but, it can't coexist with Tebow. He needs to go.

jhildebrand
01-04-2011, 10:51 PM
KO's comments are really unfortunate considering how he handled himself up to this point. They are also unfortunate from the standpoint that Bowlen is a class guy and would ship him out of here if Orton simply handled it like a man. Bowlen has always maintained that if a player doesn't want to be here then he is happy to oblige.

As for Orton's performance, I am sorry but the KC game-prior to being injured-was a joke! The AZ game was not only terrible but most people in the media and league circles felt he wasn't even trying nor cared. I recall the quote being that 'Orton is playing like he doesn't care and KNOWS the team wont pull him.'

Foochacho
01-04-2011, 11:24 PM
You guy's are idiot's for getting on Orton for his comments. The guy want's to play what else do you expect him to say? He got replaced when he got injured he expects to win his position back when healthy. Why is it so bad for him to make these comments? Not like it matters he will most likely be traded, but I just don't understand the hate.

BeefStew25
01-04-2011, 11:27 PM
Orton just needs to not comment.

PAINTERDAVE
01-04-2011, 11:28 PM
You guy's are idiot's for getting on Orton for his comments. The guy want's to play what else do you expect him to say? He got replaced when he got injured he expects to win his position back when healthy. Why is it so bad for him to make these comments? Not like it matters he will most likely be traded, but I just don't understand the hate.

He really did not get replaced when he got injured.

He got injured after the team went into the tank...
the team decided to go a different direction towords the #1 draft pick rookie...
his time here is done.
There was a huge movement afooot to replace him with Tebow going clear back to the Bye.
It was inevitable once the team tanked, the coach was fired, and he played like he did not care.

Making boorish comments does nothing to make him attractive
to his next team, the fans, or his future boyfriend in whatever town he lands.

chazoe60
01-04-2011, 11:28 PM

You don't understand the hate and yet you come in calling us all idiots? Orton's comments reek of an entitled attitude. Sorry but a QB who performed as bad as he did and led a team to a 3-10 record has absolutely no right to feel entitled.

robert ethan
01-05-2011, 12:20 AM
Peyton Manning had a three game stretch this season at least as bad as Orton's last couple. He turned it around. At the time Manning was in his slump, Kyle's passing numbers were as good or better in every category. Obviously Kyle feels like a starter in the league. He has been one the past three seasons and four in total. He just turned 28 years of age.

I can't understand the bandwagoners either. For the majority of the season Orton and Lloyd were the only bright spots on the entire team. A lot of the fans here are like cowardly pack dogs who wait for a sign of weakness then jump in to bite a back or a flank.

chazoe60
01-05-2011, 12:25 AM
Peyton Manning had a three game stretch this season at least as bad as Orton's last couple. He turned it around. At the time Manning was in his slump, Kyle's passing numbers were as good or better in every category. Obviously Kyle feels like a starter in the league. He has been one the past three seasons and four in total. He just turned 28 years of age.

I can't understand the bandwagoners either. For the majority of the season Orton and Lloyd were the only bright spots on the entire team. A lot of the fans here are like cowardly pack dogs who wait for a sign of weakness then jump in to bite a back or a flank.

Comparing Orton to Manning in any way is ridiculous. Orton sucks and he's proving to be a whiney bitch on top of a mediocre QB who has a tendency to play like complete shit at times, especially when any kind of pressure is applied.

So damn sick of hearing the excuses laid on this lump of shit.

PAINTERDAVE
01-05-2011, 12:29 AM

It is not that. The animosity this fan base has for Orton was caused by McD playing him long after his expiration date. Pretty stats are not equal to ugly losses. Many of us argued long and hard for a change at QB before the bye. Orton being left in the games, once the season was toast, was uselss and made us resent him. I lay the fans resentment of Orton at McD's feet.

His mopey demeanor and his snippy comments now are not becoming. He would serve himself much better to keep his yap shut and focus on the next team he will play for. Every snide comment he makes will be fodder for the fans in ___________ (fill in town here).

I am not saying he needs to "act" like Tebow... but he certainly could learn from the kid. Or any other number of Pro's who have dealt with or will deal with the same situation with a LOT more grace and dignity.

SR
01-05-2011, 12:53 AM
Kyle Orton's comments are getting shittier and shittier. Did this dumbass even watch the film of his last two starts. His games against KC and Arizona are as bad of games as I have seen of a Broncos starting QB. I can't wait till this moron is no longer a Bronco.

Go suck for another team loser.

Orton and his phantom sacks are delusional

MacGruder
01-05-2011, 01:07 AM
As for Orton's performance, I am sorry but the KC game-prior to being injured-was a joke! The AZ game was not only terrible but most people in the media and league circles felt he wasn't even trying nor cared. I recall the quote being that 'Orton is playing like he doesn't care and KNOWS the team wont pull him.'

I see Orton as really diabolical. I think he looked at it like F' them.. they are going to replace me then fine.. "I will put up stats, take exactly what the D gives me and not an inch more to ensure I don't get any INTs so I keep my starting job no matter what.. we won't get wins either and the coach can take the blame for it."

turftoad
01-05-2011, 01:10 AM
I see Orton as really diabolical. I think he looked at it like F' them.. they are going to replace me then fine.. "I will put up stats, take exactly what the D gives me and not an inch more to ensure I don't get any INTs so I keep my starting job no matter what.. we won't get wins either and the coach can take the blame for it."

The coach can take the blame for trading for him and starting him. Orton can take the blame for being an average NFL QB.

chazoe60
01-05-2011, 01:11 AM
The coach can take the blame for trading for him and starting him. Orton can take the blame for being an average NFL QB.

Average is giving him credit. I bet the average NFL QB comes through more than once in six tries with the game on the line. Orton strives to be average.

Foochacho
01-05-2011, 01:12 AM
You don't understand the hate and yet you come in calling us all idiots? Orton's comments reek of an entitled attitude. Sorry but a QB who performed as bad as he did and led a team to a 3-10 record has absolutely no right to feel entitled.

Had our defense not gave up 30 points a game this would be a non issue. No one can win under those conditions. Also our O line was atrocious. He has every right to feel entitled. I want Tebow any way, but I can relate to Orton.

turftoad
01-05-2011, 01:12 AM
Average is giving him credit. I bet the average NFL QB comes through more than once in six tries with the game on the line. Orton strives to be average.

Thats my biggest knock on Orton, he's not a closer.

Lancane
01-05-2011, 01:15 AM
Thats my biggest knock on Orton, he's not a closer.

The biggest knock on Orton is that he lacks that passion or drive to be existent in clutch situations is how I would have put it.

chazoe60
01-05-2011, 01:16 AM
Had our defense not gave up 30 points a game this would be a non issue. No one can win under those conditions. Also our O line was atrocious. He has every right to feel entitled. I want Tebow any way, but I can relate to Orton.

Had our Defense only given up 20 points a game Kyle would have still only won 4 games and had 1 tie. Sorry, kyle sucks and has no right at all to feel entitled to a damn thing other than a bus ticket out of town.

SR
01-05-2011, 01:17 AM
Orton doesn't know how to step up his game. He has one speed and one speed only. He doesn't know how to step up to the plate when his team is behind and he isn't a leader. He's mediocre at best and should not be a starting QB for this franchise any longer. Pretty plain and simple.

We may not win with Tebow right away, but at least losing won't be boring and it won't be half as frustrating because Tebow will add some excitement and fire that will make people want to at least try to come back. Several times with the Broncos in the second half of this season the Broncos were down and played like they had given up. Never once was Orton trying to fire up his teammates or get people motivated. He sat on the bench like a bump on a log.

Foochacho
01-05-2011, 01:18 AM
Even if he did close our D would of gave up a TD at the last second. Orton was just trying to save us from that agony. What a stand up guy, it's better to not get our hopes up.

SR
01-05-2011, 01:20 AM
Even if he did close our D would of gave up a TD at the last second. Orton was just trying to save us from that agony. What a stand up guy, it's better to not get our hopes up.

What incentive did the defense have to shut the other team's offense down knowing that the other team's defense would shut Orton and our offense down?

Say what you will about Tebow, at least he tries.

Foochacho
01-05-2011, 01:20 AM
He sat on the bench like a bump on a log.

If you just finished a bottle of jack you would just sit on the bench too.

SR
01-05-2011, 01:21 AM
If you just finished a bottle of jack you would be passed out on the bench too.

Fixed.

chazoe60
01-05-2011, 01:22 AM
Orton doesn't know how to step up his game. He has one speed and one speed only. He doesn't know how to step up to the plate when his team is behind and he isn't a leader. He's mediocre at best and should not be a starting QB for this franchise any longer. Pretty plain and simple.

We may not win with Tebow right away, but at least losing won't be boring and it won't be half as frustrating because Tebow will add some excitement and fire that will make people want to at least try to come back. Several times with the Broncos in the second half of this season the Broncos were down and played like they had given up. Never once was Orton trying to fire up his teammates or get people motivated. He sat on the bench like a bump on a log.

That's my biggest problem with Orton, if he cares it is sure hard to tell. His comments as of late point to him not really caring.

The comment that pissed me off the most was the one he made that was something to the effect of "I have enough on tape. I did enough." Or some crap like that. Screw him. He has enough on tape? Sure pal. **** my team.

SR
01-05-2011, 01:25 AM
That's my biggest problem with Orton, if he cares it is sure hard to tell. His comments as of late point to him not really caring.

The comment that pissed me off the most was the one he made that was something to the effect of "I have enough on tape. I did enough." Or some crap like that. Screw him. He has enough on tape? Sure pal. **** my team.

I feel the same way. What the hell has he done or accomplished to earn the right to be as arrogant as he is?

Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, etc, will all say the same thing...if someone is playing better than me or I'm not playing as well as I should be, I won't be playing. Kyle Orton? No one benches Kyle Orton and gets away with it. :rolleyes:

Foochacho
01-05-2011, 01:25 AM
What incentive did the defense have to shut the other team's offense down knowing that the other team's defense would shut Orton and our offense down?

Say what you will about Tebow, at least he tries.

Never said anything about Tebow I love Tebow, just don't understand the Orton hate. He is who we thought he was. If he feels he can win then let him speak his mind why would he want to admit that he don't deserve to start over Tebow. He could win in this league but he needs help. Baltimore Ravens D type help. He is better than quite a few qb's starting in this league many teams will be happy to have him.

SR
01-05-2011, 01:26 AM
The Tebow comment wasn't directed at you specifically. I don't disagree with you at all.

Foochacho
01-05-2011, 01:28 AM
I feel the same way. What the hell has he done or accomplished to earn the right to be as arrogant as he is?

Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, etc, will all say the same thing...if someone is playing better than me or I'm not playing as well as I should be, I won't be playing. Kyle Orton? No one benches Kyle Orton and gets away with it. :rolleyes:

I guarantee those three qbs would not sit back as someone starts over them there would be a shitstorm. Orton isn't entitled to anthing but he has a right to think he is is all I am trying to say. Most people would be bitter about the situation.

robert ethan
01-05-2011, 01:35 AM
It is not that. The animosity this fan base has for Orton was caused by McD playing him long after his expiration date. Pretty stats are not equal to ugly losses. Many of us argued long and hard for a change at QB before the bye. Orton being left in the games, once the season was toast, was uselss and made us resent him. I lay the fans resentment of Orton at McD's feet.

His mopey demeanor and his snippy comments now are not becoming. He would serve himself much better to keep his yap shut and focus on the next team he will play for. Every snide comment he makes will be fodder for the fans in ___________ (fill in town here).

I am not saying he needs to "act" like Tebow... but he certainly could learn from the kid. Or any other number of Pro's who have dealt with or will deal with the same situation with a LOT more grace and dignity.

Kyle won 3 of 13 this season, 11 of 28 for his time in Denver. Tebow has won 1 of 3. Where's the great improvement?:confused:

SR
01-05-2011, 01:38 AM
I guarantee those three qbs would not sit back as someone starts over them there would be a shitstorm. Orton isn't entitled to anthing but he has a right to think he is is all I am trying to say. Most people would be bitter about the situation.

I think the guys I named are smart enough to realize that if they're not playing up to par or someone is playing better than they are, they deserve to be riding pine because they day someone out plays any of those three on the same team as any one of them, that person deserves to be playing ahead of those dudes.

SR
01-05-2011, 01:38 AM
Kyle won 3 of 13 this season, 11 of 28 for his time in Denver. Tebow has won 1 of 3. Where's the great improvement?:confused:

The intelligence in this post is astounding.

BroncoStud
01-05-2011, 03:45 AM

Horrible comparison, Peyton had bad games but his bad games still kept his team in the game. Peyton carries that team on his shoulders every game, every season. Orton can't carry a Peyton's jockstrap.

SR
01-05-2011, 04:07 AM
Peyton's comments about his slump were pretty good too...he said something along the lines of it being about time for a slump after he hadn't been in one for eight years or something like that.

When Orton can make commercials like Peyton, maybe then he could hold Peyton's jock...only for a minute though.

PAINTERDAVE
01-05-2011, 04:13 AM

Yeah, right.

Let's grade the rookie thrown in at the end of the season without a head Coach,
on the same playing field
as the veteran who had every opportunity with the Coach and first teamers, etc..

You are a very bitter man about Tebow.

I dont know if Tim will ever be elite...
but I am glad we will be finding out what he's got.
We KNOW Orton is not an Elite QB.

A year from now...
Let's compare Tebow's stats for a full season with Orton's record as a Bronco.

You know what... I'll go out on a limb right now...

I predict Tebow will have more wins next season than Orton did this season.
I'll even spot Orton the Texans win....
I bet Tebow has at least 6 wins next year. Double Orton's actual wins this season.

Only time will tell.

And through the whole time... while I support the team and it's QB...
you can be bitter and angry and negative about the team and it's QB.

PAINTERDAVE
01-05-2011, 04:23 AM

Jacksonville which set the tone for the whole season... I lay it at Orton's immobile feet.
The Jets game... The Rams... Arizona... the pick six that started the Raiders Debacle.
Kyle was great against Kansas City... then he sucked bad against 'em.

There is a reason he was nicknamed Ortonary.

The QB should not have to win every game by himself.
But he ought to be able to win a few on his moxy alone.
Orton has zero moxy. Tebow has an abundance of moxy.

Reality is... Tebow is gonna get his shot now.
Orton will go play somewhere else...
and one day soon enough, we'll see 'em match up against each other.

PAINTERDAVE
01-05-2011, 04:25 AM
And you know what?

If Tebow craps out.. I'll be in favor of the next QB as well.

I gave Orton a fair shot... I'm giving Tebow a fair shot, too.

SR
01-05-2011, 04:41 AM
As a fan, that's all you can do really; support someone until they give you the reason(s) not to.

BroncoNut
01-05-2011, 09:48 AM
Orton just needs to not comment.

and you just need to not post

BroncoNut
01-05-2011, 09:51 AM
I can't hate on Orton for these comments. It's not like he's putting Tebow down to sell himself. Before reading the article I read some of these posts, and after reading the article, I don't get why Orton's comments are considered bad. Maybe I am just a dick too :whoknows:

TXBRONC
01-05-2011, 10:17 AM
Eric Studesville, who coached the team over the final month, said Tebow's work ethic is unmatched, so any flaws in his game will eventually get ironed out.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/broncos/2011-01-04-tim-tebow_N.htm

We've now had players, coaches, and front office people compliment his work ethic. I remember in his first new conference after we drafted Tebow he said he would not be out worked by anyone. He his obviously a man of his word. If doesn't make it as starting quarterback it wont be because he didn't maximum effort.

Maybe Orton could stand to learn a few things from Tebow.

Nickademus
01-05-2011, 11:02 AM
Do you people not remember after last season when the team imploded and orton was quoted "I think I had a pretty good year"? this guy doesnt get that when it comes to the QB possition you are juged on wins and losses and wether or not you can rally the troops and steal a win. Orton had one fourth quarter comeback IIRC in his two seasons here Tebow almost had two in three games. Bottom line is Tebow is a winner, Orton is a better passer but Tebow is a winner.

Juriga72
01-05-2011, 11:04 AM

Peyton Manning 3 game suckfest-
New England
San Diego
Dallas

See a trend there.......... Of course Peyton didnt lose to a 2 - 2 win teams this year also...

SR
01-05-2011, 11:47 AM
Do you people not remember after last season when the team imploded and orton was quoted "I think I had a pretty good year"? this guy doesnt get that when it comes to the QB possition you are juged on wins and losses and wether or not you can rally the troops and steal a win. Orton had one fourth quarter comeback IIRC in his two seasons here Tebow almost had two in three games. Bottom line is Tebow is a winner, Orton is a better passer but Tebow is a winner.

You people?

SR
01-05-2011, 11:49 AM
Peyton Manning 3 game suckfest-
New England
San Diego
Dallas

See a trend there.......... Of course Peyton didnt lose to a 2 - 2 win teams this year also...

The dude is a buffoon. Don't even respond to him.

Mike
01-05-2011, 11:59 AM

Ones a rookie playing first handful of games...ones not. Get it?

TXBRONC
01-05-2011, 12:03 PM
I don't think Orton's arrogant I think his feeling are hurt. He's human just like everyone else here so now seeping when he's talked to the media of late. I can understand because he has had pretty good season statistically speaking.

I think it's also possible that his teammates haven't stepped up to the plate to back him up. At the beginning of the year he said something to the effect that his teammates were solidly behind him as the starter. So if that's case then he probably thought his teammates speak out against him being demoted and basically all he heard was the sound of crickets chirping in the background.

BroncoStud
01-05-2011, 12:07 PM
We've now had players, coaches, and front office people compliment his work ethic. I remember in his first new conference after we drafted Tebow he said he would not be out worked by anyone. He his obviously a man of his word. If doesn't make it as starting quarterback it wont be because he didn't maximum effort.

Maybe Orton could stand to learn a few things from Tebow.

Yeah Orton could learn to shut up and let his play speak for itself. If he was REALLY the QB he believes himself to be a rookie wouldn't have taken his job. Orton just needs to go, he's making it clear he doesn't wnat to be here unless he gets to start, and 99.99999% of the fanbase (everyone minus Orton's family, TOP, and JDL) don't want him to start for the Broncos.

Bye Kyle, it was not a pleasure watching you take the fetal position upon contact.