PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Lloyd.........Amazing Year

WARHORSE
01-04-2011, 09:13 PM
I think Brandon has been overlooked this season due to all the hoopla concerning.....well....the hoopla.

He has quietly put together one of the best seasons in the history of the league.

Pretty sensational considering the two games where Orton was dealing witht he rib injury and should have been benched.

I can see why in hindsight McDaniels was afraid to start Tebow during that time.

Too bad, he may have cost himself a job.

But, looking back on the year, Brandon has been amazing. He played better than Brandon Marshall and it wasnt even close.

We have happened upon a WR that has come into his own, whether by scheme or maturity, Brandon is a new guy, and now that he knows he can dominate, hes gonna be hard to handle imo.

Hes kinda like McCaffrey.....a late bloomer it seems. Injury also hampered him.

We have a ton of WRs on our roster, and with the exception of D.Thomas, all of them are tradeable.

I hope Shanahan is watching. Royal is expendable. They may not give up a good pick this year, but a pick next year would prove wise.

Also, the Patriots are looking mighty stacked in the pick department. We have a number of WRs that know their system.....Hmmmmmm.

Brandon dominated this year.

DOMINATED.

As in, Brandon Marshall wishes he could dominate like that.

Brandon got a first down 93% of the time. Tops in the league, and no one else was even close. He tied Reggie Wayne for most 1st downs at 72.

Reggie had Peyton throwing to him.

We have trade value in the WR department.

I hope we take advantage of it.

Northman
01-04-2011, 09:19 PM
Definitely, Brandon should bring some great trade value. Should be able to get at least a 2nd for him.

robert ethan
01-04-2011, 09:24 PM
It's very hard to find a top level player at the position who isn't either a prima donna or a perp of some kind. Even Marvin Harrison turned out bad, and was probably lucky he didn't run afoul of the law earlier in his career. So Brandon has added value for that reason alone. Same/same with Kyle Orton. Both are in the prime of their career and have been durable for the most part. You can't underestimate the "intangibles".

BroncoWave
01-04-2011, 09:26 PM
Yeah, let's trade away our one pro bowl player. Atta way to add talent to the team!

Northman
01-04-2011, 09:27 PM
Yeah, let's trade away our one pro bowl player. Atta way to add talent to the team!

Meh, we've done it before besides its just one year. :laugh:

BroncoBJ
01-04-2011, 09:29 PM

Well we traded away our 2 offensive probowlers from 2008. Lets trade our offensive probowler from 2010. Use those picks to draft more offense and let our defense be the way it is. :elefant:

Tned
01-04-2011, 09:29 PM
I think you would have been better served to just talk about what Lloyd did good, rather than trying to trash Marshall.

We will never know what Marshall could have done this year, with Orton able to throw it more than 6 yards, because McDaniels couldn't get along with him, like he couldn't get along with so many other players and coaches, which ultimately got him fired -- after he covered up a cheating incident that is.

So, unless you've gained some God-like powers that none of us have seen proof of, I don't think you have a clue what Marshall would have done on the Broncos in '10. :tsk:

Ziggy
01-04-2011, 09:33 PM
The best part about Lloyd's season is that he signed a 2 year extension before playing it. Now we can have him for 1 more year at an affordable price to find out if it's a 1 year wonder thing, or a maturity thing. Either way, the Broncos win.

EMB6903
01-04-2011, 09:36 PM
I dont see a player with the skillset of Lloyd just being a one year wonder.. maybe just a late bloomer?

PAINTERDAVE
01-04-2011, 09:40 PM
Definitely, Brandon should bring some great trade value. Should be able to get at least a 2nd for him.

Hey... if they keep him.. GREAT.

But this team NEEDS a huge shot of adreneline.
We only have 6 picks right now.
We have GOT to change that.

Lloyd is under contract for 3/4's of a million for ONE year.
We either trade him for value... or sign him to a huge deal.

Do we gamble on him ... that this year is who he really is?
Or was this a fluke... a manifestation of Orton/McD conditions?

If Lloyd can be exchanged for an extra pass rushing, QB slamming,
ball hawking beast who plays lights out for the New Era Broncos for 5 years...

Well.. that is a good thing.

We are thick at Wide Out. We will sign a Pro pass catching TE.

We need to draft DEFENSE. We MUST have more picks.
It is imperitive to increase the number of picks we have.

BroncoWave
01-04-2011, 09:41 PM
Meh, we've done it before besides its just one year. :laugh:

You're right, we should keep repeating the same mistakes that got us to 4-12.

Northman
I dont see a player with the skillset of Lloyd just being a one year wonder.. maybe just a late bloomer?

9 years later? I dont think so. :lol:

Ziggy

Late bloomer, maturity, we're on the same track here. The biggest criticism in his career coming into this season was that he could make the spectacular catches, but not the routine ones. Could be that it was just a concentration issue that has been resolved. Either way, if he has another stellar season, it will solidify that he has come into his own and is a true top flight receiver.

Northman
01-04-2011, 09:43 PM
You're right, we should keep repeating the same mistakes that got us to 4-12.

It actually wouldnt be repeating since Lloyd is just a one year wonder. With Cutler and Marshall there was far more consistency in their careers. So while i know where you going with your comment it just really doesnt apply to Lloyd as he has far more to prove in terms of his worth to me.

BroncoWave
01-04-2011, 09:44 PM
It actually wouldnt be repeating since Lloyd is just a one year wonder. With Cutler and Marshall there was far more consistency in their careers. So while i know where you going with your comment it just really doesnt apply to Lloyd as he has far more to prove in terms of his worth to me.

He's worth more than an unproven draft pick. He has a pro bowl season under his belt, so we know he has the ability. We don't know if any draft pick would have the same ability. I'm all for stocking up on some picks, but I'd like not to trade off our existing talent to do it.

Tned
01-04-2011, 09:46 PM

The knock on Lloyd with his other teams was that he could make the spectacular grab, but not the routine ones. Most of his catches this year were of the super, spectacular variety. I sure hope he's a late bloomer and learned how to make the routine catch and we get at least one more year out of him.

Northman
01-04-2011, 09:48 PM
He's worth more than an unproven draft pick. He has a pro bowl season under his belt, so we know he has the ability. We don't know if any draft pick would have the same ability. I'm all for stocking up on some picks, but I'd like not to trade off our existing talent to do it.

Well shit BTB, you can say that about just for anybody really when it comes to current players vs rookies. If Lloyd had a better history of consistency i would have no problem keeping him. Chances are he isnt going anywhere anyway but for me the verdict is still out in term of his greatness.

BroncoWave
01-04-2011, 09:50 PM
Well shit BTB, you can say that about just for anybody really when it comes to current players vs rookies. If Lloyd had a better history of consistency i would have no problem keeping him. Chances are he isnt going anywhere anyway but for me the verdict is still out in term of his greatness.

Not really. Most current players aren't coming off a pro bowl season and leading the league in yards at their position.

EMB6903
01-04-2011, 09:50 PM
The knock on Lloyd with his other teams was that he could make the spectacular grab, but not the routine ones. Most of his catches this year were of the super, spectacular variety. I sure hope he's a late bloomer and learned how to make the routine catch and we get at least one more year out of him.

ya he was always gifted. Atleast enough to receive a 3 year 30 mil contract from Dan Synder.. Just took him awhile to figure out the mental aspect of the game IMO. As mentioned before making the routine catches on a consistent basis, lack of concentration.

It will be interesting to see what will happen with Lloyd though. Do you extend him now to a reasonable contract and possibly face the "one year wonder" risk (only if a CBA agreement is reached) or wait another year to have him put up the same numbers yet demand that much more money?

Tned
01-04-2011, 09:58 PM
ya he was always gifted. Atleast enough to receive a 3 year 30 mil contract from Dan Synder.. Just took him awhile to figure out the mental aspect of the game IMO. As mentioned before making the routine catches on a consistent basis, lack of concentration.

It will be interesting to see what will happen with Lloyd though. Do you extend him now to a reasonable contract and possibly face the "one year wonder" risk (only if a CBA agreement is reached) or wait another year to have him put up the same numbers yet demand that much more money?

Considering the MASSIVE chip on his shoulder, my guess is if the Broncos don't extend him this year, they will not be able to keep him unless they are willing to pay a ton if he has a second very good season. He's going to want top WR $$$$, probaby even if he has a so/so year next year.

WARHORSE
01-04-2011, 09:59 PM
I think you would have been better served to just talk about what Lloyd did good, rather than trying to trash Marshall.

We will never know what Marshall could have done this year, with Orton able to throw it more than 6 yards, because McDaniels couldn't get along with him, like he couldn't get along with so many other players and coaches, which ultimately got him fired -- after he covered up a cheating incident that is.
makes no sense whatsoever but.....ok.

So, unless you've gained some God-like powers that none of us have seen proof of, I don't think you have a clue what Marshall would have done on the Broncos in '10. :tsk:

I do have a clue. Brandon could not have come in here and dominated this year like Brandon Lloyd did.

Period.

DenBronx
01-04-2011, 10:02 PM
I do have a clue. Brandon could not have come in here and dominated this year like Brandon Lloyd did.

Period.

uhh...Marshall DID dominate while he was here.

Where were you?

Tned
01-04-2011, 10:06 PM

Period.

:laugh: Okie, dokie...

Tned
01-04-2011, 10:07 PM

Where were you?

Not sure where he was when Marshall was on record setting pace his four years in Denver, but now I would say he's posting from Egypt on De Nile.....

DenBronx
01-04-2011, 10:12 PM
Not sure where he was when Marshall was on record setting pace his four years in Denver, but now I would say he's posting from Egypt on De Nile.....

try rewatching the charger game from 08 when he broke records. plus he was always amazing after the catch. he never went down on contact like llyod did many times this year.

regardless of what people think of him he did beast it up while he was here and never quit. ever.

PAINTERDAVE
01-04-2011, 10:20 PM
Colorado springsd Gazette has a great article about Brandon Lloyd

Northman
01-04-2011, 10:30 PM

Period.

I think you've been sucking on too many margarita's my friend.

Tned
01-04-2011, 10:46 PM
try rewatching the charger game from 08 when he broke records. plus he was always amazing after the catch. he never went down on contact like llyod did many times this year.

regardless of what people think of him he did beast it up while he was here and never quit. ever.

It's standard revisionist history that goes on in Broncosland. Ex players are both demonized and their talent and good years magically disappear.

topscribe
01-04-2011, 10:48 PM

Period.

I believe War is right in one sense. Lloyd is a true deep threat with a knack
for getting behind the defense. He led the league in 40+ yard receptions.
Marshall is not that kind of deep threat. While there is no way Lloyd could
dominate the way Marshall can in short to medium range, and certainly in
YAC, Marshall cannot do what Lloyd does best, either.

-----

Tned
01-04-2011, 10:52 PM

-----

Which is why the offense would have been so much better with both skillsets.

The fact is that they are different receivers. Where Lloyd gets behind DBs and makes miracle catches, Marshall can out jump two and sometimes three receivers for the jump ball, makes the incredible one handed sideline catches, and few if any are as dangerous after the catch -- see the Dallas game last year and many others.

I'm always amazed why ex-players have to become 'bad' all of a sudden in order for us to feel good about our current roster.

Northman
01-04-2011, 10:53 PM

-----

Difficult to say, it wasnt like Marshall was being thrown too down the field in Orton's first year. I dont think even Shanny took that many deep shots down the field when Cutler was here.

Either way, Tned is 100% correct. War continually starts threads trying to prop up one player and rip down another. Its bogus but predictable from this cat.

EMB6903
01-04-2011, 11:00 PM
Marshall and Lloyd are both great recievers.

Marshall is one of the most consistent WR's in the league. He moves the chains as well as any reciever.

Hes not the playmaker Lloyd has been with the Broncos though.

Lloyd has as many 40+ yard gains in one year as Marshall did in his 4 years with Denver.

That should tell you something.

Tned
01-04-2011, 11:05 PM
Marshall and Lloyd are both great recievers.

Marshall is one of the most consistent WR's in the league. He moves the chains as well as any reciever.

Hes not the playmaker Lloyd has been with the Broncos though.

Lloyd has as many 40+ yard gains in one year as Marshall did in his 4 years with Denver.

That should tell you something.

And without looking at the stats, I'm guessing that Marshall had more receptions in his three years of starting in Denver (throwing out his rookie and Miami catches) than Lloyd has had in his 8 year career.

EMB6903
01-04-2011, 11:16 PM
And without looking at the stats, I'm guessing that Marshall had more receptions in his three years of starting in Denver (throwing out his rookie and Miami catches) than Lloyd has had in his 8 year career.

Not arguing Marshalls stats in Miami or Lloyds previous 8 years in the league.. Just their careers in Denver.

Marshall is a big reliable target and a freak after the catch who will give you 100+ receptions averaging around 11 yards per catch

Lloyd isnt that type of WR but he will stretch the field on a consistent basis.(19 yards per reception is insane)

based off this year I dont think you could argue whose better but more which one you'd prefer.

Whoever said Lloyd wasnt causing doubles wasnt paying attention. From October on there was always help over the top with Lloyd. I'd say opposing defenses are much more worried about Lloyd beating them deep over Marshall.

topscribe
01-04-2011, 11:19 PM
Not arguing Marshalls stats in Miami or Lloyds previous 8 years in the league.. Just their careers in Denver.

Marshall is a big reliable target and a freak after the catch who will give you 100+ receptions averaging around 11 yards per catch

Lloyd isnt that type of WR but he will stretch the field on a consistent basis.(19 yards per reception is insane)

based off this year I dont think you could argue whose better but more which one you'd prefer.

Whoever said Lloyd wasnt causing doubles wasnt paying attention. From October on there was always help over the top with Lloyd. I'd say opposing defenses are much more worried about Lloyd beating them deep over Marshall.

They both worry the snot out of defenses. Imagine them on the same
offense, as Tned implied. How would the defenses manage to double both?

-----

Northman
01-04-2011, 11:21 PM

Even then your a bit misguided. Marshall was able to put up consisent numbers with two different QB's and two different systems. Lloyd has only produced once and now that system is gone and so is the QB who helped him get there.

GEM
01-04-2011, 11:24 PM
ISN'T THIS SAME CONVERSATION GOING ON IN OTHER NFL TEAMS? With the same posters involved even.

:rolleyes: :lol:

Northman
01-04-2011, 11:25 PM
ISN'T THIS SAME CONVERSATION GOING ON IN OTHER NFL TEAMS? With the same posters involved even.

:rolleyes: :lol:

Mind your business beer wench.

DenBronx
01-04-2011, 11:30 PM
Marshall and Llyod are two differant types of WR's

Llyod is a deep threat while Marshall is a possesion/yac type WR.

Now, if they were both on the same team next year I would say we would have a deadly combo. Llyod was on the team back in 2009 but never really got on the field with Gaffney as the #3 and Royal the #2.

But you guys need to be honest with yourselves because no one saw this coming. Not even Llyod.

GEM
01-04-2011, 11:34 PM
Mind your business beer wench.

Shut your dirty mouth, metalhead.

Juriga72
01-05-2011, 12:35 AM
Uh can someone explain to me how Lloyd will put up close to these numbers with then new ( which BTW we have NO idea will be) O system coming in with the new HC/OC....

OR will he become like the 8/9 Lloyd and have 20 catches next year.......

robert ethan
01-05-2011, 01:09 AM
Lloyd led San Fran in receiving a couple of years while he was there. They just didn't have a QB or a system to allow him big numbers. Brandon brought third and fourth round picks in trade from Washington. Which took Randy Moss two seperate trades to equal.

turftoad
01-05-2011, 01:11 AM
Lloyd led San Fran in receiving a couple of years while he was there. They just didn't have a QB or a system to allow him big numbers. Brandon brought third and fourth round picks in trade from Washington. Which took Randy Moss two seperate trades to equal.

So now Lloyd is better than Moss ever was I suppose. :tsk: WOW

robert ethan
01-05-2011, 01:28 AM
So now Lloyd is better than Moss ever was I suppose. :tsk: WOW
You can get plastic reading glasses really cheaply from most any pharmacy or supermarket these days..
:coffee:

Foochacho
01-05-2011, 01:38 AM
They both worry the snot out of defenses. Imagine them on the same
offense, as Tned implied. How would the defenses manage to double both?

-----

Thomas is supposed to be the other guy. Let's hope this next year he can be healthy and prove he was worth the pick. It would suck if we wasted it on him.

topscribe
01-05-2011, 01:42 AM
Thomas is supposed to be the other guy. Let's hope this next year he can be healthy and prove he was worth the pick. It would suck if we wasted it on him.

I have high hopes for him if he'll just stop getting hurt . . .

-----

robert ethan
01-05-2011, 02:25 AM

Thomas will be. He had better numbers as a rookie than Marshall did, despite his injuries. Eric Decker is no slouch, either. If they manage to grab Kyle Rudolph in the draft, they have a great basis there, along with Royal in the slot. That is why I think that Lloyd could be expendable.

zbeg
01-05-2011, 06:05 AM
Thomas will be. He had better numbers as a rookie than Marshall did, despite his injuries. Eric Decker is no slouch, either. If they manage to grab Kyle Rudolph in the draft, they have a great basis there, along with Royal in the slot. That is why I think that Lloyd could be expendable.

The guy just put up monster numbers and will likely be at least a second-team all-pro. So your scenario has three young receivers who have done little or nothing so far (Thomas, Decker, and now the currently has-yet-to-play-a-down-in-the-NFL Kyle Rudolph) and an inconsistent Eddie Royal, and somehow this makes your all-pro WR expendable?

What??

:confused:

WARHORSE
01-05-2011, 07:37 AM

Where were you?

:laugh: Okie, dokie...

It's standard revisionist history that goes on in Broncosland. Ex players are both demonized and their talent and good years magically disappear.

Its the offseason.

Brandon Marshall this year in Denver wouldve punted balls in practice and thrown fits. Faked injury and made it all about him. He would have been under a transition tag.....only thing he would have dominated is the media, and it would have been a circus.

Brandon Marshall is in Miami and the boy sucks. He couldnt catch a cold.

Hes a fish.

Demonized...........ogay.:coffee:

Broncos baby.

And the Margaritas are very salty here.

As I was saying..........Brandon LLOYDDDDDD had an amazing year here for us. And I dont know if we should trade him, but if the price is right, take a page out of the Patriot handbook of aquiring two draft picks in almost every round........and build through the draft.

WARHORSE
01-05-2011, 07:46 AM
Marshalls frustration finally boils over.

“Receivers and quarterbacks, we’re on several different pages, and you can’t have that.”

The relationship between Marshall and Henne has been strained, to say the least. Marshall avoided Henne on the sideline almost the entire game, sitting far away on the other end of the bench and not speaking with him after each failed series. But Marshall met with Tyler Thigpen coming off the field after each possession, prompting radio voice Jim Mandich to say on-air, “it’s been a long time since I’ve seen that kind of exchange between Brandon Marshall and Chad Henne.”

Henne finished the season with 15 touchdown passes, 19 interceptions and a 75.4 passer rating in 15 games (14 starts). When asked if he has any relationship left with Henne, and if they can co-exist on the same team next year, Marshall replied, “next question.”

But he did talk about Henne’s first-quarter interception, which was intended for Marshall but instead picked off by Patriots rookie Devin McCourty.

“All year we’ve been on different pages,” Marshall said. The defense was a “Cover 2 look, so the corner is outside, I’m gonna break in. I guess we read it wrong and we were on two different pages.”

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/dolphins_wr_brandon_marshalls_frustration_finally_ boils_over_after_season_ending_loss_to_patriots/3892162

Same brandon. You can change the stripes.......but you cant change the horse.....or fish in this case.(man I love my choice of phrasing)

Tned
01-05-2011, 08:03 AM

This season, Lloyd was the best receiver. Career to date, no question, Marshall is the better receiver by a HUGE margin. Now, if Lloyd can put up another season like this, then we can start talking.

But for his hanstring injury this year (I think the only time he's missed more than one game in a row), Marshall likely would have become the only player in NFL history to have 4 straight 100 yard seasons.

As much as people want to trash him for how things went down with McDaniels, that is simply insane production, especially considering the turnover in QB's, OC's and schemes over those four years.

Tned
01-05-2011, 08:07 AM
Its the offseason.

Brandon Marshall this year in Denver wouldve punted balls in practice and thrown fits. Faked injury and made it all about him. He would have been under a transition tag.....only thing he would have dominated is the media, and it would have been a circus.

Brandon Marshall is in Miami and the boy sucks. He couldnt catch a cold.

Hes a fish.

Demonized...........ogay.:coffee:

Please respect the fact this is Broncos Talk and don't be posting homosexual slurs.

As to what he would be doing this offseason, let's remember that McDaniels was fired. So, we will never know, but it likely wouldn't a problem.

When you 'punt' the revisionist history, then the facts are he punted the ball after McDaniels put him on the scout team running as a safety and punt gunner to "break him" and humiliate him. After weeks of this type of treatment, he punted the ball and had the fit in camp.

As I was saying..........Brandon LLOYDDDDDD had an amazing year here for us. And I dont know if we should trade him, but if the price is right, take a page out of the Patriot handbook of aquiring two draft picks in almost every round........and build through the draft.

Great, it would have been nice to start here without the Marshall bashing. Eventually you have to late the old biases go and stop bringing up past players to bash.

BroncoNut
01-05-2011, 10:11 AM
once again War, thanks for the enlightenment

Northman
01-05-2011, 10:47 AM
And the Margaritas are very salty here.

At least your having fun with it. :lol:

WARHORSE
01-05-2011, 04:19 PM
Please respect the fact this is Broncos Talk and don't be posting homosexual slurs.

I appreciate you trying to keep the board clean. Probably would serve you better to clarify someones remarks before you paste them as inflammatory slurs.

As to what he would be doing this offseason, let's remember that McDaniels was fired. So, we will never know, but it likely wouldn't a problem.

When you 'punt' the revisionist history, then the facts are he punted the ball after McDaniels put him on the scout team running as a safety and punt gunner to "break him" and humiliate him. After weeks of this type of treatment, he punted the ball and had the fit in camp.

Great, it would have been nice to start here without the Marshall bashing. Eventually you have to late the old biases go and stop bringing up past players to bash.

While I can see how you would view it as such, there were no double edged meanings by what I wrote........at all. Ogay is something many of us here in Hawaii say.....it simply slang for oooookay. Nothin gay about it other than the spelling.

Rajah-roger

Braddah-brother

No ack- dont act up

Cha chout- watch out

To name a few...........

LTC Pain
01-05-2011, 04:35 PM
Keep Lloyd. He's proven he can play.

topscribe
01-05-2011, 04:42 PM
Keep Lloyd. He's proven he can play.

Personally, I can't imagine his going anywhere. We had one Pro Bowler this
year. One! And we're talking about trading him? :confused:

-----

I Eat Staples
01-05-2011, 05:37 PM

You didn't seem to have a problem with McDaniels doing it.

But on topic, normally I'd agree with you, but the way the league is any receiver can put up big numbers in a pass happy offense with a good QB. You need an elite QB to win, you don't even need above average receivers. Not to mention, Lloyd could have been a fluke, time will tell. The talent is certainly there though, no question. He's an athletic freak and his spectacular catching and body control are as good as anyone's. But again, he's a receiver, and they're best used as trades for draft picks to focus on more important areas.