PDA

View Full Version : Marshall brings equivalent of #18 overall draft pick in trade

robert ethan
01-04-2011, 07:40 PM
#43 last draft, #47 this draft. According to Draft Value Chart, a combined worth of 900 points or the #18 overall pick in round one. Terrific return for a one dimensional chronic malcontent whose contract had run out. Made doubly delightful by permitting a free agent journeyman to have a better season in Denver than Marshall ever did or would have done.

T.K.O.
01-04-2011, 07:43 PM
interesting....who did we get with last years pick ?:confused:

claymore
01-04-2011, 07:45 PM
interesting....who did we get with last years pick ?:confused:

Exactly.

robert ethan
01-04-2011, 07:46 PM
Last year they used the #43 pick to get Tebow. Adding in a couple of extra picks they acquired by trading back from the #11 overall pick they got for Cutler. Would you trade Tebow for Marshall?

WARHORSE
01-04-2011, 07:47 PM
A starter.

Same thing this years pick will bring.

Say cheese.:D

jhildebrand
01-04-2011, 07:47 PM
#43 last draft, #47 this draft. According to Draft Value Chart, a combined worth of 900 points or the #18 overall pick in round one. Terrific return for a one dimensional chronic malcontent whose contract had run out. Made doubly delightful by permitting a free agent journeyman to have a better season in Denver than Marshall ever did or would have done.

You seem almost anti broncos. I am curious why you follow this team with all your negativity and pessimism especially surrounding past players.

I am beginning to think you are Ben McDaniels or any McDaniels.

scott.475
01-04-2011, 07:51 PM
You seem almost anti broncos. I am curious why you follow this team with all your negativity and pessimism especially surrounding past players.

I am beginning to think you are Ben McDaniels or any McDaniels.

Boggles the mind, doesn't it? I think he wants Josh's head on Mt. Rushmore.

Montana Battlin Bear
01-04-2011, 07:52 PM
you mean there are people that think josh wasn't the best thing that could happen to this organization?

jhildebrand
01-04-2011, 07:54 PM
you mean there are people that think josh wasn't the best thing that could happen to this organization?

I was not a fan of Josh but I was certainly able to post the positive he did in addition to the negative.

The OP seems hellbent on just smearing as often as possible. :noidea:

claymore
01-04-2011, 07:56 PM
Last year they used the #43 pick to get Tebow. Adding in a couple of extra picks they acquired by trading back from the #11 overall pick they got for Cutler. Would you trade Tebow for Marshall?

No, but Id like the picks back.

robert ethan
01-04-2011, 08:04 PM
I was not a fan of Josh but I was certainly able to post the positive he did in addition to the negative.

The OP seems hellbent on just smearing as often as possible. :noidea:

You having short term memory loss, hildebrand? I don't see how you perceive my post as being negative towards McDaniels or the Broncos. Marshall doesn't play here any more. Tebow and whoever they get with this year's pick do. Or will, at least.

Dzone
01-04-2011, 08:05 PM
heard that Marshall got into a shouting match with Henne on the sidelines on sunday. Marshall is just trouble. So the equivalent of an 18th pick is pretty good. Hopefully we get some serious talent with that pick in april

jhildebrand
01-04-2011, 08:06 PM
You having short term memory loss, hildebrand? I don't see how you perceive my post as being negative towards McDaniels or the Broncos. Marshall doesn't play here any more. Tebow and whoever they get with this year's pick do. Or will, at least.

Go back and read what I said. It was pretty clear. McDaniels is gone. Yet you continue to try to act as if the divides he created still exist. You seem overly ready to smear any past player for the most minute of reasons.

For every claim that Marshall was a malcontent, I can show you hours Marshall logged at the Rev Kelly's open door gang program, I can show you families he took christmas shopping who had no money, I can show you a lot that never got press.

T.K.O.
01-04-2011, 08:07 PM

it is !

http://static.funnyjunk.com/pictures/behind_mt_rushmore0.jpg

BigDaddyBronco
01-04-2011, 08:12 PM
Go back and read what I said. It was pretty clear. McDaniels is gone. Yet you continue to try to act as if the divides he created still exist. You seem overly ready to smear any past player for the most minute of reasons.

For every claim that Marshall was a malcontent, I can show you hours Marshall logged at the Rev Kelly's open door gang program, I can show you families he took christmas shopping who had no money, I can show you a lot that never got press.

Yea, and his immaturity probably led to DWill getting killed. I liked Marshall as a player, but let's not make him a saint yet.

BroncoStud
01-04-2011, 08:13 PM
So can we get Cutler back while we're at it?

Ziggy
01-04-2011, 08:14 PM
I was very happy with the return we got from Marshall. He was a cancer who didn't want to be here. To get 2 mid 2nd rounders for him was a great move. One of the few trades that McD came out well on.

jhildebrand
01-04-2011, 08:15 PM
Yea, and his immaturity probably led to DWill getting killed. I liked Marshall as a player, but let's not make him a saint yet.

Nobody is making him a saint. I am just tired of people trying to pretend that these players, who also happen to be human beings, are so one sided and simple i.e. malcontent.

Also, the court records indicate that D Will's cousins/friends from TX were the instigators more than anybody else.

The point is some will crucify any ex bronco for any reason when it is unwarranted. Do some deserve it? Yes! Eddie Kennison should be punched on site if seen in the city of Denver. But to throw every ex bronco under the bus is simply silly.

jhildebrand
01-04-2011, 08:16 PM
I was very happy with the return we got from Marshall. He was a cancer who didn't want to be here. To get 2 mid 2nd rounders for him was a great move. One of the few trades that McD came out well on.

There is no doubt that 2 2nds was HUGE for this team!!!!!! I said it then and will forever stand by it.

When you see a guy like Santonio go for so much less, it is hard to criticize that deal.

Juriga72
01-04-2011, 08:30 PM

Lets see......

Marshall- 2 years:
205 catches
2385 yards
16 td

Lloyd- 2 years
85 catches
1565 yards
11 td

hmmmmm "Which one would I rather have"......

robert ethan
01-04-2011, 08:30 PM
Nobody is making him a saint. I am just tired of people trying to pretend that these players, who also happen to be human beings, are so one sided and simple i.e. malcontent.

Also, the court records indicate that D Will's cousins/friends from TX were the instigators more than anybody else.

The point is some will crucify any ex bronco for any reason when it is unwarranted. Do some deserve it? Yes! Eddie Kennison should be punched on site if seen in the city of Denver. But to throw every ex bronco under the bus is simply silly.

Well, regardless of your judgement of him as a person, you can't argue that his contract was expiring and he wanted BIG BUCKS. Or that Brandon Lloyd had a better season here than Marshall ever did, for a fraction of the cost. So the draft picks are almost a bonus.

zbeg
01-04-2011, 08:41 PM
Lets see......

Marshall- 2 years:
205 catches
2385 yards
16 td

Lloyd- 2 years
85 catches
1565 yards
11 td

Lloyd wasn't the primary receiver in the first of those two years. So you're comparing Marshall's starting numbers to a guy who wasn't on the field. Yes, OF COURSE Marshall's numbers are going to be better.

Besides, it's not Lloyd v. Marshall. It's Lloyd + 2 second round picks v. Marshall.

EMB6903
01-04-2011, 08:56 PM
Lets see......

Marshall- 2 years:
205 catches
2385 yards
16 td

Lloyd- 2 years
85 catches
1565 yards
11 td

Ill take Lloyd's production this year over any of Brandon Marshall's years in Denver.

GEM
01-04-2011, 10:42 PM
There is a multi-page thread going on in OTHER NFL TEAMS forum pitting Lloyd vs. Marshall...this one is about the picks that we got from the trade...

jhildebrand
01-04-2011, 10:45 PM
Well, regardless of your judgement of him as a person, you can't argue that his contract was expiring and he wanted BIG BUCKS. Or that Brandon Lloyd had a better season here than Marshall ever did, for a fraction of the cost. So the draft picks are almost a bonus.

I could also just as easily argue that Lloyd was far less effective in double team situations which he acknowledges. I could also reference that Marshall drew triple coverage and still caught the ball.

That isn't the point for me. The compensation this team got was great. I said it then and I said it now. For me it is about maligning a former player for almost no other reason than they are a former player.

Northman
01-04-2011, 10:49 PM
I could also just as easily argue that Lloyd was far less effective in double team situations which he acknowledges. I could also reference that Marshall drew triple coverage and still caught the ball.

That isn't the point for me. The compensation this team got was great. I said it then and I said it now. For me it is about maligning a former player for almost no other reason than they are a former player.

Indeed,

Marshall > Lloyd anyday of the week.

Dreadnought
01-04-2011, 10:55 PM

Agreed. This was one of McD's few good calls. Marshall wanted out, and we got a good price for him. I was pretty tired of his act, and as such he was the one high profile guy we dumped off of the 08 roster I was OK with losing (barring obvious duds like Nate Webster)

Juriga72
01-05-2011, 12:27 AM
Ill take Lloyd's production this year over any of Brandon Marshall's years in Denver.

Really.... I seem to remember a few runs by Brandon...Like say the Dallas game winner.
I would take Marshall EVERYTIME over one and done Lloyd

PAINTERDAVE
01-05-2011, 01:11 AM

It was BMarsh and his cousin... who got the thugs into the nightclub...
and Bmarsh's cousin who pissed them off inside... with the Champagne bottle.
It was BMarsh who bull rushed them in the parking lot at closing time...
further embarrassing them, which resulted in their cowardly act.

Had BMarsh kept his mouth shut, his cousin in line,
and not intervened with the bouncers to get those thugs inside in the first place...
DWill would still be playing here.

BMarsh was a primary charactor in the ridiculous, immature tragedy that took DWills life.

SR
01-05-2011, 01:13 AM

I'm 30 minutes from Mt Rushmore. I don't want him that close to me.

zbeg
01-05-2011, 05:47 AM
It was BMarsh and his cousin... who got the thugs into the nightclub...
and Bmarsh's cousin who pissed them off inside... with the Champagne bottle.
It was BMarsh who bull rushed them in the parking lot at closing time...
further embarrassing them, which resulted in their cowardly act.

Had BMarsh kept his mouth shut, his cousin in line,
and not intervened with the bouncers to get those thugs inside in the first place...
DWill would still be playing here.

BMarsh was a primary charactor in the ridiculous, immature tragedy that took DWills life.

But Marshall didn't know that his actions would indirectly lead to someone getting killed, nor is it reasonable to think that it would. Like if my wife told me to go to the grocery store because we were out of bread, then when I was at the store a crazed gunman kills me, my wife shouldn't feel guilty because she somehow contributed to my death. That's just not reasonable.

We make the decisions we make only with the information we have at the time. When something weird and unpredictable happens as a result of our actions, it's not reasonable to think that we should have in any way made a different decision based on that outcome.

In this case, Marshall, his cousin, etc. got involved with the thugs, and it is irresponsible behavior, but you don't pin "you got him murdered" on Marshall. The decision to murder DWill is purely on the gangbangers. Willie Clark chose to pull the trigger, not Marshall, or Marshall's cousin.

I realize that initiating something with gangbangers (was it known to the Broncos crew that these guys were gangbangers?) isn't as innocuous as asking someone to go to the store and get bread, so I suppose Marshall isn't completely blameless. But the portion of the blame is like 0.05% Marshall, and 99.95% Willie Clark.

Things happened, they got out of control, and some scumbags went way over the line and performed an evil act. Let's not lose sight of that - pissing off some dudes in a nightclub does not equate to being responsible for a murder, or anything close to it.