PDA

View Full Version : Tebow vs Phillis Rushing

robert ethan
01-04-2011, 04:46 PM
In the last three games Tim has started, he has twice the rushing yardage as that other big white guy who used to play here. In the same number of carries. With 3 tds to 0 for Hillis.

BroncoWave
01-04-2011, 04:49 PM
The thread title makes it look like you are talking about Rivers.

vandammage13
01-04-2011, 04:50 PM
I thought all the "Experts" were saying Tebow wouldn't be able to run in the NFL.

The thing that stands out to me is that he averaged 5.3 YPC this year....During his Heisman year in college, Tebow only averaged 4.3 YPC. Funny how no one thought he would be able to duplicate his college running in the NFL, but once he got there, he actually did better.

underrated29
01-04-2011, 04:52 PM
He is probably outrushing phyllis too.

TXBRONC
01-04-2011, 05:06 PM

That's what I thought when I saw the title of the thread.

Ravage!!!
01-04-2011, 05:09 PM
I thought all the "Experts" were saying Tebow wouldn't be able to run in the NFL.

The thing that stands out to me is that he averaged 5.3 YPC this year....During his Heisman year in college, Tebow only averaged 4.3 YPC. Funny how no one thought he would be able to duplicate his college running in the NFL, but once he got there, he actually did better.

Yeah.. lets take the 3 game body of work and call it a done deal.

Mike Vick is probably the greatest runner in the open field since Barry Sanders, and he's finding it very hard to run in the NFL.

Not to mention, we do not WANT our QB to be rushing the ball. Not if we actually want him to stay healthy.

spikerman
01-04-2011, 05:10 PM
The guy has played 3 games, once NFL defenses figure out what he can and can't do I imagine his stats will drop a bit. It's only a matter of time before defenses assign a "spy" to him. I don't think TT can outrun too many NFL linebackers. The good thing is that having a spy assigned to Tebow gives the defense one less player to disrupt a play.

BigSarge87
01-04-2011, 05:26 PM
It's only a matter of time before Tim will have to rely on passing to win games. Teams are going to do whatever it takes to shut down his running game until he proves he can be a consistent passing threat.

BUT, once he does get better at passing, it will be a lot tougher to stop him.

And the lamb will lie next to the lion in Bronco Zion.

The Glue Factory
01-04-2011, 05:29 PM
The guy has played 3 games, once NFL defenses figure out what he can and can't do I imagine his stats will drop a bit. It's only a matter of time before defenses assign a "spy" to him. I don't think TT can outrun too many NFL linebackers. The good thing is that having a spy assigned to Tebow gives the defense one less player to disrupt a play.

Agreed but it's still nice having a QB that can turn a sure sack into something positive. Plus he is smart enough to get what he can and save his body. Against SD he beelined it for the sideline after picking up the first down in the second half.

BroncoJoe
01-04-2011, 05:40 PM
Yeah.. lets take the 3 game body of work and call it a done deal.

Mike Vick is probably the greatest runner in the open field since Barry Sanders, and he's finding it very hard to run in the NFL.

Not to mention, we do not WANT our QB to be rushing the ball. Not if we actually want him to stay healthy.

It's only a matter of time before Tim will have to rely on passing to win games. Teams are going to do whatever it takes to shut down his running game until he proves he can be a consistent passing threat.

BUT, once he does get better at passing, it will be a lot tougher to stop him.

And the lamb will lie next to the lion in Bronco Zion.

Right. Three-four years of film in the SEC certainly allowed other college teams from stopping him. That division in college isn't anywhere near the NFL.

:yardog:

Please.

spikerman
01-04-2011, 05:43 PM
That division in college isn't anywhere near the NFL.

Could not agree more with that statement.

BroncoJoe
01-04-2011, 05:45 PM
Could not agree more with that statement.

It's probably the closest to the NFL there is. Got a better conference to compare? Please elaborate.

spikerman
01-04-2011, 05:50 PM
It's probably the closest to the NFL there is. Got a better conference to compare? Please elaborate.

It may be the best conference in the NCAA, but it still can't compare to the NFL. If you take the best SEC teams, you might have, what - three, maybe four NFL caliber players on the team. In the NFL there are 53 NFL caliber players on the team.

To compare a college level team to a pro team is ludicrous. Years ago they talked about a hypothetical game between the number one college team in the country and the Buccaneers (I think). That was soon after TB's 0-14 season. The "experts" were discussing what kind of chance the college team would have. The unanimous concensus was that it wouldn't even be close. The best college team would get run off the field by the worst NFL team. I still belive that to be the case.

Two weeks ago against the Texans Tebow ran around the end to score a TD. It was a great run. Fortunately for him he didn't have to go another 3 or 4 yards because it looked like that Texans' defensive lineman was about to catch him. How many SEC DLs could chase down Tebow like that? Not many I'd guess.

BroncoJoe
01-04-2011, 05:55 PM
It may be the best conference in the NCAA, but it still can't compare to the NFL. If you take the best SEC teams, you might have, what - three, maybe four NFL caliber players on the team. In the NFL there are 53 NFL caliber players on the team.

To compare a college level team to a pro team is ludicrous. Years ago they talked about a hypothetical game between the number one college team in the country and the Buccaneers (I think). That was soon after TB's 0-14 season. The "experts" were discussing what kind of chance the college team would have. The unanimous concensus was that it wouldn't even be close. The best college team would get run off the field by the worst NFL team. I still belive that to be the case.

Two weeks ago against the Texans Tebow ran around the end to score a TD. It was a great run. Fortunately for him he didn't have to go another 3 or 4 yards because it looked like that Texans' defensive lineman was about to catch him. How many SEC DLs could chase down Tebow like that? Not many I'd guess.

Pure speculation. I happen to be one of the few that believed the #1 college team could have beat the Buccaneers that year.

As to your last paragraph, did the "NFL" DL get him? Do we know what would have happened "IF" it was another 3 or 4 yards? No. "IF" is a word I've stricken from my vocabulary. I suggest you do the same.

/statement

spikerman
01-04-2011, 05:59 PM
Pure speculation. I happen to be one of the few that believed the #1 college team could have beat the Buccaneers that year.

As to your last paragraph, did the "NFL" DL get him? Do we know what would have happened "IF" it was another 3 or 4 yards? No. "IF" is a word I've stricken from my vocabulary. I suggest you do the same.

/statement

Thank you for your suggestion, but I think I'll keep it in. I'm not sure why you have "NFL" in quotes. Do you doubt that he is an NFL DL?

That's fine if you want to be one of the few who believe that the #1 college team could have won a game like that, but don't you at least wonder why you would be one of a few?

Dirk
01-04-2011, 06:01 PM
Mods fix that thread title....please. :rolleyes:

tia

vandammage13
01-04-2011, 06:05 PM

Kind of like how the Raiders caught him on the 40 yard TD run....:coffee: The point is that he made it. Had it been another 3-4 yards who knows what would have happened? He may have taken a different angle and still scored. Purely speculative on your part.

BroncoJoe
01-04-2011, 06:07 PM
Thank you for your suggestion, but I think I'll keep it in. I'm not sure why you have "NFL" in quotes. Do you doubt that he is an NFL DL?

That's fine if you want to be one of the few who believe that the #1 college team could have won a game like that, but don't you at least wonder why you would be one of a few?

Nope.

spikerman
01-04-2011, 06:08 PM
Kind of like how the Raiders caught him on the 40 yard TD run....:coffee: The point is that he made it. Had it been another 3-4 yards who knows what would have happened? He may have taken a different angle and still scored. Purely speculative on your part.

The man has played three games. Everything about him is speculative at this point.

BroncoJoe
01-04-2011, 06:09 PM

Tell me oh wise one. Where do 99% of NFL players come from?

College.

spikerman
01-04-2011, 06:10 PM

College.

Very true... tell me, oh wise one, do they all come from the same college team?

BigSarge87
01-04-2011, 06:11 PM

Trying to say that NFL defenses won't be able to stop him because teams in the SEC couldn't is a little speculative also.

IF IF IF IF IF

Take that Joe. JK

BigSarge87
01-04-2011, 06:12 PM

College.

Where do 99% of all college players go after college? It damn sure isn't the NFL.

vandammage13
01-04-2011, 06:12 PM
The man has played three games. Everything about him is speculative at this point.

True...but I like what I have seen so far from him way more than what I dislike.

Even though 3 games is a small sample, I think he has shown that he CAN succeed in this league (Of course this isn't a 100% certainty). Still, I have seen more to believe that he will be at least a good, solid QB than to believe that he won't.

BroncoJoe
01-04-2011, 06:13 PM
Very true... tell me, oh wise one, do they all come from the same college team?

Clearly not. Next?

You still haven't answered the question of which conference is better suited for the NFL.

vandammage13
01-04-2011, 06:15 PM
Trying to say that NFL defenses won't be able to stop him because teams in the SEC couldn't is a little speculative also.

IF IF IF IF IF

Take that Joe. JK

Hmmmm....I never said that he would succeed in the NFL because of what he did in the SEC. Not sure how you came to that conclusion.

I think he will succeed because of what I have seen.

BroncoJoe
01-04-2011, 06:21 PM
Where do 99% of all college players go after college? It damn sure isn't the NFL.

Irrelevant to the discussion.

BigSarge87
01-04-2011, 06:22 PM
Hmmmm....I never said that he would succeed in the NFL because of what he did in the SEC. Not sure how you came to that conclusion.

I think he will succeed because of what I have seen.

I was referring to Joe's post about the SEC on page one. No worries. I think he'll succeed also.

BigSarge87
01-04-2011, 06:26 PM
Irrelevant to the discussion.

How is it not relevant? You tried to make the point that because all of the future telemarketers from the SEC couldn't stop him it means that professional football players won't be able to.

How can you even compare the two?

spikerman
01-04-2011, 06:26 PM
True...but I like what I have seen so far from him way more than what I dislike.

Even though 3 games is a small sample, I think he has shown that he CAN succeed in this league (Of course this isn't a 100% certainty). Still, I have seen more to believe that he will be at least a good, solid QB than to believe that he won't.

Can you show me where I said that he would not succeed in the NFL? My only point was that the talent level from college to pro is very different. I don't think I've ever said that he couldn't do well - only that NFL defenses will eventually catch up to what he is doing and he will have to make adjustments. In college he was always one of the more athletically gifted players on the field. In the NFL that won't be the case.

BroncoJoe
01-04-2011, 06:27 PM
I was referring to Joe's post about the SEC on page one. No worries. I think he'll succeed also.

The SEC has had more players drafted over the past five years than any other conference.

The SEC has had more first round draft choices over the same time period.

What does that mean? Nothing, other than it's probably the best conference in college football.

The same conference Tebow set records.

BroncoJoe
01-04-2011, 06:29 PM
Can you show me where I said that he would not succeed in the NFL? My only point was that the talent level from college to pro is very different. I don't think I've ever said that he couldn't do well - only that NFL defenses will eventually catch up to what he is doing and he will have to make adjustments. In college he was always one of the more athletically gifted players on the field. In the NFL that won't be the case.

Why? Perhaps you should have said "In the NFL that won't necessarily be the case."

spikerman
01-04-2011, 06:30 PM
Clearly not. Next?

You still haven't answered the question of which conference is better suited for the NFL.

If you will go all the way back to post #14 I acknowledged that the SEC might be the best conference in college football, which means absolutely nothing when it comes to the NFL. The talent he played against week in and week out in college doesn't compare to the talent level he'll be playing against on Sundays.

BroncoJoe
01-04-2011, 06:32 PM
How is it not relevant? You tried to make the point that because all of the future telemarketers from the SEC couldn't stop him it means that professional football players won't be able to.

How can you even compare the two?

Please. Most of the "telemarketers" from the SEC that happened to put on a football uniform on the weekend didn't even sniff the field.

You're losing. Just admit it and move on.

spikerman
01-04-2011, 06:33 PM
Why? Perhaps you should have said "In the NFL that won't necessarily be the case."

You're trying to be awfully helpful in adjusting my vocabulary, but I really don't need the help. Thank you anyway.

So you believe Tebow will still be more athletic than most of the players he will play against now? Let me rephrase, that will definitely not be the case.

BroncoJoe
If you will go all the way back to post #14 I acknowledged that the SEC might be the best conference in college football, which means absolutely nothing when it comes to the NFL. The talent he played against week in and week out in college doesn't compare to the talent level he'll be playing against on Sundays.

Prove it.

Oh, you can't, so your speculation is just as irrelevant as mine.

vandammage13

I never said you didn't think he could or couldn't succeed. I merely just stated what I thought.

I do remember after the last game in the press conference that Tebow said he didn't think the players were any faster, but just smarter and more experienced (thus quicker to react). I think I'll take Tebow's word for it on that.

spikerman
01-04-2011, 06:34 PM
Please. Most of the "telemarketers" from the SEC that happened to put on a football uniform on the weekend didn't even sniff the field.

You're losing. Just admit it and move on.

So most starters from SEC teams now play in the NFL?

Joe, I think you're losing track of your own argument.

BroncoJoe
01-04-2011, 06:35 PM
You're trying to be awfully helpful in adjusting my vocabulary, but I really don't need the help. Thank you anyway.

So you believe Tebow will still be more athletic than most of the players he will play against now? Let me rephrase, that will definitely not be the case.

OK. What ever you say.

Even though he's already proven you wrong.

spikerman
01-04-2011, 06:36 PM
Prove it.

Oh, you can't, so your speculation is just as irrelevant as mine.

I never said it wasn't speculation. In fact, if you go back over my posts you'll see that I acknowledged that we are ALL speculating.

BigSarge87
01-04-2011, 06:36 PM
The SEC has had more players drafted over the past five years than any other conference.

The SEC has had more first round draft choices over the same time period.

What does that mean? Nothing, other than it's probably the best conference in college football.

The same conference Tebow set records.

Well maybe we should just make the SEC a new NFL conference. We could have the AFC, NFC, and the SEC. Since they are such incredible athletes, why not?

Stop polishing the SEC's meat rocket and listen for a second.

Of all the players on an SEC college football team that played against Tebow, how many of those players will be successful in the NFL? Maybe a couple from each team. Maybe. Take those couple of players and put them on one team. Now give that team 5 years more experience. Don't you think that team would have a little better chance at stopping Tebow than Vanderbilt?

spikerman
01-04-2011, 06:37 PM
OK. What ever you say.

Even though he's already proven you wrong.

sigh. :rolleyes:

BroncoJoe
01-04-2011, 06:39 PM
So most starters from SEC teams now play in the NFL?

Joe, I think you're losing track of your own argument.

Your words, not mine. Never made that statement, simply that the SEC produces more NFL caliber players than any other conference.

The same conference that Tebow set records.

BroncoJoe
01-04-2011, 06:41 PM
Well maybe we should just make the SEC a new NFL conference. We could have the AFC, NFC, and the SEC. Since they are such incredible athletes, why not?

Stop polishing the SEC's meat rocket and listen for a second.

Of all the players on an SEC college football team that played against Tebow, how many of those players will be successful in the NFL? Maybe a couple from each team. Maybe. Take those couple of players and put them on one team. Now give that team 5 years more experience. Don't you think that team would have a little better chance at stopping Tebow than Vanderbilt?

The discussion began with whether or not the best college team could beat the 0-14 Buccaneers. I believe they could. Soundly.

PS: Your drivel above could be said about any conference - and any pitiful NFL team.

spikerman
01-04-2011, 06:42 PM
Your words, not mine. Never made that statement, simply that the SEC produces more NFL caliber players than any other conference.

The same conference that Tebow set records.

I got that impression from this part of one of your earlier posts, "Most of the "telemarketers" from the SEC that happened to put on a football uniform on the weekend didn't even sniff the field."

To me that implied that guys who didn't move on to the NFL never got on the field anyway. If I misread that then I apologize.

BigSarge87
01-04-2011, 06:42 PM
I never said you didn't think he could or couldn't succeed. I merely just stated what I thought.

I do remember after the last game in the press conference that Tebow said he didn't think the players were any faster, but just smarter and more experienced (thus quicker to react). I think I'll take Tebow's word for it on that.

He's played 3 games and your ready to take his word over nearly every football player that has ever made the transition. Wow.

vandammage13
01-04-2011, 06:44 PM
He's played 3 games and your ready to take his word over nearly every football player that has ever made the transition. Wow.

Tebow never lies...you didn't know that?

BroncoJoe
01-04-2011, 06:45 PM

As another poster stated in another thread, or possibly another forum:

"How many games is it going to take?"

He's a winner. Realize it, embrace it and move forward.

BigSarge87
01-04-2011, 06:47 PM
The discussion began with whether or not the best college team could beat the 0-14 Buccaneers. I believe they could. Soundly.

PS: Your drivel above could be said about any conference - and any pitiful NFL team.

No, the discussion began when you tried to say that since Tebow set records in the SEC that NFL teams wouldn't be able to stop him from rushing. We're just letting you know how wrong you are.

Don't let it get to you, my wife lets me know how wrong I am all the time. She's usually right.

BigSarge87
01-04-2011, 06:49 PM
As another poster stated in another thread, or possibly another forum:

"How many games is it going to take?"

More than 3.

BroncoJoe
01-04-2011, 06:51 PM
No, the discussion began when you tried to say that since Tebow set records in the SEC that NFL teams wouldn't be able to stop him from rushing. We're just letting you know how wrong you are.

Don't let it get to you, my wife lets me know how wrong I am all the time. She's usually right.

The jury is out. So far, they haven't been able to stop his rushing. Three games, five games, 10 games, 16 games. My point? Everyone has/does know what Tebow is about. VERY few have been able to stop him.

claymore
01-04-2011, 06:53 PM
The jury is out. So far, they haven't been able to stop his rushing. Three games, five games, 10 games, 16 games. My point? Everyone has/does know what Tebow is about. VERY few have been able to stop him.

I say 5-6 games durring the regular season. Then we will know.

BigSarge87
01-04-2011, 06:57 PM

THE JURY IS NOT OUT ON TEBOW.

The jury is still very much under way. Tebow will be making his arguments all next year (hopefully). If he's successful next year, THEN the jury can come to a decision.

I love your optimism and I beleive it is rightly placed. I hope he does become the QB you think he already is. That would be so much fun to watch. I might even risk buying jerseys for my kids again. I learned that lesson the hard way after buying 4 Cutler jerseys.

BroncoJoe
01-04-2011, 06:59 PM
I say 5-6 games durring the regular season. Then we will know.

So, two or three more games? IIRC, he's played in three regular season games already.

BigSarge87
01-04-2011, 07:00 PM
So, two or three more games? IIRC, he's played in three regular season games already.

Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

BroncoJoe
01-04-2011, 07:01 PM
THE JURY IS NOT OUT ON TEBOW.

The jury is still very much under way. Tebow will be making his arguments all next year (hopefully). If he's successful next year, THEN the jury can come to a decision.

I love your optimism and I beleive it is rightly placed. I hope he does become the QB you think he already is. That would be so much fun to watch. I might even risk buying jerseys for my kids again. I learned that lesson the hard way after buying 4 Cutler jerseys.

LOL. You know what the phrase "the jury is out" means, right?

Either way, the argument - on both sides - is stupid. None of us know what's going to happen next year or beyond. All I know is Tebow will work his ass off to become the best QB in the league.

That's it.

claymore
01-04-2011, 07:02 PM

5-6 games in his new offense durring the regular season. Teams will have film on him. If he can overcome that and produce, then Im on board.

BroncoJoe
01-04-2011, 07:05 PM
5-6 games in his new offense durring the regular season. Teams will have film on him. If he can overcome that and produce, then Im on board.

I absolutely HATE that saying. It's the most retarded statement I think I've ever read.

How can they have file on him? Maybe on the play calling, etc., but not on him. Most of his plays are improvised. Tell me how you game plan for that.

robert ethan
01-04-2011, 07:17 PM
I absolutely HATE that saying. It's the most retarded statement I think I've ever read.

How can they have file on him? Maybe on the play calling, etc., but not on him. Most of his plays are improvised. Tell me how you game plan for that.

True, that. Tebow is going to be much harder to gameplan than any of the other new QBs to the league. Or any of the college hotshots. Tim can play as a strict pocket passer if he has to. But he has mobility and strength. He weighs more than Roethlisberger or Flacco, and I'm willing to bet has a lower body fat %.

claymore
01-04-2011, 07:29 PM

They will have every NFL game and some college games that he has played in. I dont see whats hard to understand about that.

By improvised, you mean he ran the ball. That wont last long.

BroncoJoe
01-04-2011, 07:35 PM
They will have every NFL game and some college games that he has played in. I dont see whats hard to understand about that.

By improvised, you mean he ran the ball. That wont last long.

You clearly didn't watch him before becoming a Broncos player.

He didn't achieve all the accolades he has by being "figured out". Including passing records.

BTW, it's nice to see you Clay.

claymore
01-04-2011, 07:42 PM
You clearly didn't watch him before becoming a Broncos player.

He didn't achieve all the accolades he has by being "figured out". Including passing records.

BTW, it's nice to see you Clay.

I live in Florida I couldnt avoid seeing him play. There is a reason that 3 NFL teams in the same state as him passed on him. I mean, if a great QB is in your state, and you need a QB, you draft him. 2 of the 3 NEED QB's and they passed.

Good seeing you to Joe.

jhildebrand
01-04-2011, 07:49 PM
The fallacy in logic comparing a RB/FB to a rookie QB should simply be ignored.

By the way, what did B Quinn ever do :confused:

EMB6903
01-04-2011, 07:52 PM
Tebow could become a HB and be just as good if not better then Hillis.

Thats not a knock on Peyton or anything I just feel like Tebow is that good of a runner.

robert ethan
01-04-2011, 07:58 PM
My point awhile back for all the fans pining for Hillis was that they could put Tebow out there in the same role with better results if nothing else. But QBs are a lot harder to come by that short yardage powerbacks. So, Tim will be given every chance to fail as a signal caller first.

As for Quinn, Denver was probably the only team in the league to end the season with the same three healthy players at the position as they started. Most teams were going with third stringers by season end. You can't expect that going into the season.

Montana Battlin Bear
01-04-2011, 07:58 PM
Brady Quinn has looked dang good on our sideline this year haha

jhildebrand
01-04-2011, 08:02 PM
But QBs are a lot harder to come by that short yardage powerbacks.

Then why was this team so TERRIBLE in short yardage situations under McDaniels and with his guys????? Afterall, Short yardage backs are so easy to come by :rolleyes:

As for Quinn, Denver was probably the only team in the league to end the season with the same three healthy players at the position as they started. Most teams were going with third stringers by season end. You can't expect that going into the season.

Quinn was the #2, punn intended, the entire season. He was leap frogged by Tebow. Why do you suppose that is? :confused:

atwater27
01-04-2011, 08:05 PM
Tebow vs Phillis Rushing

In the last three games Tim has started, he has twice the rushing yardage as that other big white guy who used to play here. In the same number of carries. With 3 tds to 0 for Hillis.

http://www.redstate.com/neil_stevens/files/2009/09/doublefacepalm.jpg

And I thought Cardoso's threads were bad.

scott.475
01-04-2011, 08:07 PM
Most teams were going with third stringers by season end.

Can you list for us the 17+ teams that were running 3rd string QBs at season's end?

EMB6903
01-04-2011, 08:22 PM
Miami, Cleveland, Arizona, Minnesota, Detriot, and Dallas are the only ones I could come up with off the top of my head.

robert ethan
01-04-2011, 08:39 PM
Other teams lost starters and backups along the way during the season. I won't go through all the data to get exact results, but common sense tells you that you probably shouldn't expect your first string QB to start more than about 10 or 12 games in a season. They acquired Quinn BEFORE they drafted Tebow. There were no guarantees at that point that they would have another QB on the roster capable of passing Brady on the depth chart.

Also, Quinn is worth whatever they get for Orton (or less likely, Tebow) in trade. They wouldn't trade one of the three without the other two to take into next season.

BeefStew25
01-04-2011, 08:50 PM
Sorry. Quinn ain't worth a pile of Ethan dung.

frauschieze
01-04-2011, 09:36 PM
Other teams lost starters and backups along the way during the season. I won't go through all the data to get exact results, but common sense tells you that you probably shouldn't expect your first string QB to start more than about 10 or 12 games in a season. They acquired Quinn BEFORE they drafted Tebow. There were no guarantees at that point that they would have another QB on the roster capable of passing Brady on the depth chart.

Also, Quinn is worth whatever they get for Orton (or less likely, Tebow) in trade. They wouldn't trade one of the three without the other two to take into next season.

Then your conjecture is nothing but an opinion which carries zero weight as it's not backed by any fact.

I Eat Staples
01-04-2011, 10:19 PM
I've been saying Tebow reminds me of a faster Hillis. I think he could have a good career as an HB.

BroncoBJ
01-04-2011, 10:57 PM

Exactly what I thought. I had to read the post like 3 times to realize that he just put a P infront of Hillis's name. :lol:

I was trying to see where he was getting at. :coffee:

Typical Robert ethan thread though.

MacGruder
01-05-2011, 01:46 AM

Something I always tried to tell people is that in college Tebow had very poor runners. People don't realize it but Florida was known as a finesse offense -- a pass heavy offense. This is why Florida let Cam Newton go.. because believe it or not Cam could't run or pass as well as Tebow at Florida. Cam doesn't have the passing game to run that pass heavy offense. And because of that the run game would get shut down and his height which is a liability would have gotten him killed.

Auburn is the complete opposite of Florida.. they are really more built for the SEC. They historically have a power run game which complements a running QB PERFECTLY. Auburn's power run game opens Cam's run game which opens his passing. He is really a role player.

At Florida Tebow was an elite level passer.. which forced teams to sit on his receivers. This opened the run game. Teams dared him to run. But because he was the best runner defenses focused on stopping him.. which opened the run game for little finesse runners around Tebow.. making him look bad as a runner and making them look great.

Once again Cam is the opposite. He has very good power runners that are the primary runners. These runners open Cam's own running and passing game. Cam also has an unbelievably dominant offensive line that opens their run game and keeps him untouched as a passer. Everyone said Tebow had a great line but they really did not protect him well or open the run game.

If you can understand this you will see why Tebow was so underrated, why he made the players around him look so great.. and why Cam is so overrated and looks great at the expense of the players around him. Don't be surprised when Cam tanks in the NFL for this reason, too. While Tebow dominates.

Tebow is a true elite level QB and freakishly powerful and durable runner in one.

Cam is a wide receiver and sub par QB who is a role player on his team.

EMB6903
01-05-2011, 03:07 AM
^^You act as if Urban Meyer let go of Cam Newton. He chose to leave.

Cam Newton dominated every time he was on the field in Florida. From spring game to when he was able to take reps in real games.. There was no evidence to suggest Cam Newton wouldnt dominate in an Urban Meyer system..

robert ethan
01-05-2011, 03:20 AM
Newton left because he fell to third string behind John Brantley.

EMB6903
01-05-2011, 03:21 AM
Newton left because he fell to third string behind John Brantley.

Newton realistically never was a back up to John Brantley. He was put on the depth chart as the 3rd string QB the year he was caught buying a stolen laptop as punishment.

And he left when Tebow declared he was coming back his senior year. It had nothing to do with that scrub Brantley.

MacGruder
01-05-2011, 08:04 AM
^^You act as if Urban Meyer let go of Cam Newton. He chose to leave.

Cam Newton dominated every time he was on the field in Florida. From spring game to when he was able to take reps in real games.. There was no evidence to suggest Cam Newton wouldnt dominate in an Urban Meyer system..

I can show you an article from when cam left Florida that had his dad saying they didn't know who was the backup QB behind Tebow - Brantley or Cam.

Do you really think Florida would let Cam go if he was remotely the player he appears to be now? Cam is part of a perfect storm at Auburn.

Auburn played Alabama better Tebow's last year than Florida did... and Auburn had no Cam and Florida had the greatest college player ever -- Tebow.

Tebow and Florida lost to Auburn both the times they played them with Tebow. The reason for this is that Auburn has a power SEC game and Florida is more finesse. Tebow would have looked far more unstoppable on Auburn for this reason. Any running QB would. But Tebow playing at UF will prepare him more for the NFL passing game. Where as if Cam goes he is going to look like Jamarcus Russel.

I Eat Staples
01-05-2011, 03:31 PM
Cam Newton is going to have the same amount of NFL success Terrell Pryor will have: none.

EMB6903
01-05-2011, 04:16 PM
I can show you an article from when cam left Florida that had his dad saying they didn't know who was the backup QB behind Tebow - Brantley or Cam.

Do you really think Florida would let Cam go if he was remotely the player he appears to be now? Cam is part of a perfect storm at Auburn.

Auburn played Alabama better Tebow's last year than Florida did... and Auburn had no Cam and Florida had the greatest college player ever -- Tebow.

Tebow and Florida lost to Auburn both the times they played them with Tebow. The reason for this is that Auburn has a power SEC game and Florida is more finesse. Tebow would have looked far more unstoppable on Auburn for this reason. Any running QB would. But Tebow playing at UF will prepare him more for the NFL passing game. Where as if Cam goes he is going to look like Jamarcus Russel.

Florida had no say in whether Cam was staying or not. It was his decision...

The reason was because he wanted to play. Tebow declared so he went to Blinn to play JUCO for a year and then head to Auburn. It had nothing to do with John Brantley (a player who has no business playing in a Urban Meyer offense) And I do feel like Urban Meyer knew what he had in Cam Newton.. Like I said earlier Cam dominated spring games and dominated when he took snaps in real games at Florida.

MacGruder
01-05-2011, 09:58 PM
Florida had no say in whether Cam was staying or not. It was his decision...

Sure they did.. they would have played him more. They would have said he was for sure the number 2 QB at the very least. Why would Cams Dad say he couldn't beat Brantley unless he couldn't? It makes absolutely no sense. He would have just said Cam was leaving because he wanted to play more not he couldn't beat Brantley.

And how could Cam not beat Brantley if his abilities perfectly fit Florida's system? He couldn't because Florida and Auburn have very different systems and supporting casts.Cam couldn't run Florida's pass heavy offense and couldn't even get on the field as a runner in games that mattered.

The reason was because he wanted to play. Tebow declared so he went to Blinn to play JUCO for a year and then head to Auburn.

So you really think cam would rather go to Blinn than to get the coaching he could get from Florida? Come on man.. None of this makes any sense. He still had to wait a year. Why was he so worried about playing time if he is the stellar talent people believe he is? He would have been able to beat Brantley without regardless.

None of it adds up to me.. I;m not buying it. Even with the stellar run game at AU he still isn't much of a passer. That should tell you..

It had nothing to do with John Brantley (a player who has no business playing in a Urban Meyer offense)

So then answer this.. if guys like Tebow and cam are perfect for Florida's offense then why would he even play a guy like Brantley? Why not use an athlete like Tebow and cam fro day one? It is't as if Florida can't get talent.

And I do feel like Urban Meyer knew what he had in Cam Newton.. Like I said earlier Cam dominated spring games and dominated when he took snaps in real games at Florida.

Brantley did all that too, looked like a god in mop up duty. They thought he would be better than Tebow... and he was god awful. If Cam was as great a runner as he appears to be he would have gotten on the field WITH Tebow. Again.. none of it makes sense to me..

Look at Auburn.. in the SEC champ game Cam's nobody non athletic backup came in and busted out a 30 yard run. That should show you what is going on there.