PDA

View Full Version : Luck is going to Carolina...What should Broncos do with the #2 Pick?

vandammage13
01-04-2011, 04:39 PM
Face it...Luck is going to Carolina and we are not going to get him, so lets put that debate to rest.

So what should the Broncos do with the #2 pick?

Patrick Peterson?
Nick Fairley?
Da'quan Bowers?
Someone Else?
Trade Down?

If someone else reply below.

Let the debate begin......

slim
01-04-2011, 04:45 PM
Trade down...maybe all the way out of the first round.

Stockpile picks in rounds 2-4.

Use them all on defense.

spikerman
01-04-2011, 04:46 PM
Denver traded away too many draft picks under the previous regime. They have so many holes to fill the smart thing to do is to stockpile picks.

shank
01-04-2011, 04:52 PM
any of the above and i'm a happy camper.

BroncoJoe
01-04-2011, 04:54 PM
any of the above and i'm a happy camper.

I REALLY wish you'd change your avatar.

underrated29
01-04-2011, 04:55 PM
It really depends on what type of Defense we run....But I will say this.

This year I am actually not in favor of trading down more than to #6......We MUST get an impact player found in the top 5. At 6 we can still get that player because at least 1 QB will go (lucky for us-arr arr arr).

We currently have 3 or 4 picks in the top 50 players! Lets make sure our first One is a 100% legitmised (think i made that word up) BADASS!!

vandammage13
01-04-2011, 05:03 PM

This year I am actually not in favor of trading down more than to #6......We MUST get an impact player found in the top 5. At 6 we can still get that player because at least 1 QB will go (lucky for us-arr arr arr).

We currently have 3 or 4 picks in the top 50 players! Lets make sure our first One is a 100% legitmised (think i made that word up) BADASS!!

I agree....If we can trade down just a couple of spots and pick up an extra 3rd rounder, and if we can somehow get the asking price of a 2nd rounder for Orton, then we have a real chance to draft an impact player and a few others who can help us immediately.

Ravage!!!
01-04-2011, 05:06 PM
So we move to this debate, and this will decide who we draft in April?

Buff
01-04-2011, 05:09 PM
Trading down is the chic answer, but no one ever trades for the #2 pick.

If we take a DB, I will punch someone. It better be Bowers, Dareus, Fairley or some other DL who flies up the board.

TXBRONC
I picked Bowers because my understanding is that he's considered the best defensive lineman in this draft however, I would also take Fairley without batting an eye.

BigSarge87

Couldn't agree with you more. We need that guy who will make everyone on defense better. The defense is horrible because we don't have someone like this. Doom can do it, but he needs help. I love Champ, but he's not a playmaker, he keeps the other team from making huge plays, but he doesn't change games with his play. We need that guy who can come in and be a Sportcenter highlight type of guy every game like Doom has been when healthy.

I don't know which player gives us the best chance of having that but I'm pretty sure we have a better chance of landing that guy with the second pick than the 15th pick. Don't trade down.

Lancane
01-04-2011, 05:10 PM
Denver is going to throw a wrench into the order of things and draft Ryan Mallett with the second overall pick.

:hahaha:

claymore
01-04-2011, 05:10 PM
If Luck goes #1 make a full press court to trade for him. Offer Tebow, Lloyd, Clady, whoever...

claymore
01-04-2011, 05:11 PM
Denver is going to throw a wrench into the order of things and draft Ryan Mallett with the second overall pick.

Or trade back nd get Cam Cameron! If we get fisher, My money is on Getting Haynseworth, and cam Cameron. Boo Yah!

BigDaddyBronco
01-04-2011, 05:13 PM
Or trade back nd get Cam Cameron! If we get fisher, My money is on Getting Haynseworth, and cam Cameron. Boo Yah!

How many times have I told you to wear a mask when you paint. The fumes are getting to you again.

shank
01-04-2011, 05:14 PM

i survived McD pretty unscathed, but that shit would really test my fandom. it would be like that time clay's wife told him that she used to be a guy... wait, that's not right. i need an example where someone receives really BAD news. :confused:

claymore
01-04-2011, 05:15 PM
i survived McD pretty unscathed, but that shit would really test my fandom. it would be like that time clay's wife told him that she used to be a guy... wait, that's not right. i need an example where someone receives really BAD news. :confused:

McDaniels was the worst thing thats ever happened to me. I still dont feel right.

BigDaddyBronco
01-04-2011, 05:15 PM
Trade down a few picks and get Dareus. I think he'll be the best one of these guys in a 3-4. We should be able to get an extra 2nd if we move down a few picks.

Throw in a 3rd for Orton and we would have.

1st - Dareus
3 2nd's
2 3rd's

That is how you rebuild a defense.

Lancane
01-04-2011, 05:16 PM

We're not going to hire Fisher, nor draft Cam Cameron or bring in Haynesworth's lazy fat ass. We are hiring 'Bull-Mularkey' and since he's not good at developing quarterbacks we'll take Mallett who is pro-style ready and trade Tebow to Miami!

:lol:

Nomad
01-04-2011, 05:17 PM

Sugar Bowl tonight......Ohio St vs Arkansas!!!!

spikerman
01-04-2011, 05:18 PM
We're not going to hire Fisher, nor draft Cam Cameron or bring in Haynesworth's lazy fat ass. We are hiring 'Bull-Mularkey' and since he's not good at developing quarterbacks we'll take Mallett who is pro-style ready and trade Tebow to Miami!

:lol:

Oh man, the entertainment value of the meltdown to follow would be priceless!

Skinny
01-04-2011, 05:18 PM
Trade down a few picks and get Dareus. I think he'll be the best one of these guys in a 3-4. We should be able to get an extra 2nd if we move down a few picks.

1st - Dareus
3 2nd's
2 3rd's

That is how you rebuild a defense.This would be my ideal scenerio.

shank
01-04-2011, 05:21 PM

1st - Dareus
3 2nd's
2 3rd's

luf it.

Lancane
01-04-2011, 05:33 PM

Now here is how it works, Denver drafts Ryan Mallett with the 2nd overall pick, setting the boards and fandom afire with rage, then Denver trades...Tim Tebow and Knowshon Moreno to Miami for the 16th overall pick and selects Cameron Jordan!

:first:

JDL
01-04-2011, 05:38 PM
Nick Fairley is a dirty SOB on the field... pretty much an Albert Haynesworth clone... so I ask why in the world would we draft him when we could easily acquire Haynesworth in a trade back or probably just a 3rd? And pay LESS than selecting Fairley #2? :confused:

Patrick Peterson is the 2nd best prospect in the draft... you take him... or you trade down. I mean does Charles Woodson change this team's defense last year? I'm not sure he would, but I'd still take him.

Otherwise it is between Dareus and Bowers at #2

Lancane
01-04-2011, 05:40 PM
Nick Fairley is a dirty SOB on the field... pretty much an Albert Haynesworth clone... so I ask why in the world would we draft him when we could easily acquire Haynesworth in a trade back or probably just a 3rd? And pay LESS than selecting Fairley #2? :confused:

Patrick Peterson is the 2nd best prospect in the draft... you take him... or you trade down. I mean does Charles Woodson change this team's defense last year? I'm not sure he would, but I'd still take him.

We're taking Ryan Mallett with that pick...you got it! :laugh:

JDL
01-04-2011, 05:40 PM
BTW, Dareus, Bowers and Peterson will all go top 5 (unless the QBs just blow up offseason workouts and go 3 in the top 5)...so trading back and getting one of them might be pretty hard... You'd be looking at Quinn most likely.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-04-2011, 05:44 PM
According to the following site, this is who they have the Broncos drafting:

http://newnfldraft.com/

2. Denver Broncos: Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU

01/03/2011: The choice with this pick is between Bowers and Peterson. I think the Broncos need to improve their secondary and Peterson will do that right away. So in this 2011 NFL Mock Draft I have the top rated CB going to the Broncos.

12/20/2010: Peterson is an extremely good athlete who is both a great cover corner as well as a very good return man. At the next level he should be an immediate start and impact player in the NFL. I see him as the best CB and defensive back in this 2011 NFL Draft.

shank
01-04-2011, 05:46 PM
i do like peterson a lot, but it could depend on what happens with champ. if champ walks, peterson fills a need and is a great prospect. if champ stays, it gives us the flexibility to address the DL.

HORSEPOWER 56
I don't give a shit what front we run. 3-4 or 4-3. Passing on the best D-lineman in the draft (we currently have our choice of all of them) just because he may or may not fit our scheme is dumb. Acquire the talent, then fit the scheme to match.

The 3-4 used to be cool because few teams were running it and it confused Peyton Manning. Now, almost half the teams in the league use it, some just as ineffectively as we do, so there really isn't any "surprise" to it anymore. Geez, 3/4 of our division runs the damn thing. If we pass on the best defensive lineman in the draft, be it Bowers or Fairly, because they don't fit our "scheme" (oh yeah, the one that was DEAD LAST IN THE LEAGUE AND COMPLETELY INEFFECTIVE) then I'll probably lose it.

Get the talent, then decide how best to use it. Even trading down typically means that you get more second rate talent while missing out on top talent. F that. I'm done with second rate talent! We're loaded with second rate (spoken: backup and STs level talent) as is! Get some defensive linemen that can F'n play for Christ's sake!

Lancane
According to the following site, this is who they have the Broncos drafting:

http://newnfldraft.com/

They can blow me for four-hundred...

Denver Native (Carol)
This site http://newsportdraft.com/

2 Denver Broncos
Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson

Dirk
01-04-2011, 05:48 PM
Face it...Luck is going to Carolina and we are not going to get him, so lets put that debate to rest.

Patrick Peterson?
Nick Fairley?
Da'quan Bowers?
Someone Else?
Trade Down?

It's only a smoke screen. Carolina is actually after Bowers and they want the Broncos to trade Tebow and their #1 to them for Luck. That way they get the defensive stud they want and a QB to boot. :listen:

:laugh:

Lancane
01-04-2011, 05:50 PM
It's only a smoke screen. Carolina is actually after Bowers and they want the Broncos to trade Tebow and their #1 to them for Luck. That way they get the defensive stud they want and a QB to boot. :listen:

:laugh:

And Elway would be all over it! :elefant:

Ravage!!!
01-04-2011, 05:54 PM
and elway would be all over it! :elefant:

hell yeah he would!!!!

vandammage13
01-04-2011, 05:58 PM

Probably because Haynesworth is lazy and a cancer. I ask you why in the world would you want to bring a guy like Haynesworth in after he essentially robbed Dan Snyder out of $100 million? Don't want a guy like that on my team, especially if we decide to stay in the 3-4 and he is adamant about not even giving any effort in a 3-4 scheme.

SpringsBroncoFan
01-04-2011, 06:22 PM

1st - Dareus
3 2nd's
2 3rd's

That's what I'm hoping for too... I voted trade down.

Dareus gives us almost as much as Fairley but with the added pick(s) we ensure we also get a DE like Crick and a NT like Powe.

Trade Orton for a 2nd or 3rd and we also get an ILB.

With our two existing 2nd's we ensure we get the two DB's we need.

As for Bowers, we need to stop the run... we have OLB's to rush the passers and if we ensure we get Crick too, it's all gravy.

As for Peterson, we can get the S Rahim Moore or a CB like Williams, Brown, or Smith at 36. One of the remainder of the 3 CB's or even Carmichael should be there at 47.

If it's that darn important to have a lockdown corner, then resign Champ... we put ourselves in this predicament by drafting Cox knowing there were potential issues (p.s. note to Elway.... please don't draft McDaniel!).

Buff
01-04-2011, 06:25 PM
Has any team ever traded the #2 pick in the last 20 years? The only one I remember at the top of the draft was Eli/Rivers and that was because Eli demanded it.

BroncoStud
01-04-2011, 06:26 PM
Nobody said Luck is going to Carolina, Carolina said they would draft Luck. If Luck says "no, I'm not signing with Carolina", he isn't going to Carolina.

Denver still has a very legit chance to land him, if they so desire, especially if Harbaugh is a Bronco by then.

claymore
01-04-2011, 06:33 PM
Nobody said Luck is going to Carolina, Carolina said they would draft Luck. If Luck says "no, I'm not signing with Carolina", he isn't going to Carolina.

Denver still has a very legit chance to land him, if they so desire, especially if Harbaugh is a Bronco by then.

Carolina knows that teams have a boner for Luck, if anyone is trading out of the Top 5 its them. Hopefully they trade back to the 2nd pick. :d

Dirk
01-04-2011, 06:34 PM

I agree, but I don't think Harbanger is gonna be a Broncos HC. If that were the case, I would think that they wouldn't be bringing Mularkey in on Friday. Just a gut feeling that Jim said no thanks so the Broncos are going to their 2nd choice which is Mike.

Again, that's just my gut. (and my gut isn't always right :lol:)

broken12
01-04-2011, 06:40 PM
trade down stock pile pics, no way one year one draft makes difference, its a start, but if wwe can trade down maybe get two first for our 2nd....pans out get two starters, but the dt from auburn is good, we would be best to move back to 4-3 with him though!

TimBuff10
01-04-2011, 06:44 PM

Patrick Peterson?
Nick Fairley?
Da'quan Bowers?
Someone Else?
Trade Down?

Trade it to Carolina along with Tebow or Orton after Luck says that he won't sign a contract with Carolina and wants to play for his old coach in Denver.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-04-2011, 06:45 PM
BTW, Dareus, Bowers and Peterson will all go top 5 (unless the QBs just blow up offseason workouts and go 3 in the top 5)...so trading back and getting one of them might be pretty hard... You'd be looking at Quinn most likely.

I'd be shocked if they all went top 5. There are plenty of other names who will compete for those slots. Actually, 2 of the guys you named aren't even consensus #1 at their positions. Some have Prince Amukamara rated higher than Peterson and Robert Quinn rated higher than Bowers. And that's not even considering AJ Green, Mallett and everyone's new fav Blaine Gabbert. Plus there is always a name or 2 which shoots up the charts.

I personally believe that there are 2 DTs and 2 DEs who all pretty much have equal value. The issue is which system will be run. That will determine who we want and how we get them. If we stay at 3-4, yeah, we may wanna play it safe for Dareus or Fairley and stay put...although I do believe Dareus would be there between 6 and 8. If we switch to 4-3, I think we could get Bowers or Quinn by trying to deal back a few spots. Then again, the argument could be made that if we switch to 4-3, we wanna stay at #2 for the top DE or DT that would fit that system.

Regardless, my vote is to do what McDaniels did last year. Have a short list of desired players and trade back stockpiling picks until only one of em remains. As mush as McD is hated and as many mistakes as he made, he worked the draft to perfection last year. You may argue with WHO he wanted, but he was able to move up and down the draft board almost at will to get who he wanted. This is a damn good draft for 3-4 DEs, which is the ONLY reason I wouldn't vomit if we drafted a CB. Dareus, Fairley, Watt, Heyward, Claybourne, Bailey, Jordan and Crick are all legit 3-4 DE prospects. If the plan is to acquire picks, we can still get a star DE. I just personally prefer Dareus and wouldn't drop back past 8.

Nick
01-04-2011, 06:49 PM

Just because you don't want Luck or Lack of knowledge about Luck. Doesn't put the debate to rest. There is a big possibility the Broncos move to #1 spot and Carolina will be entertaining offers.

I would say that it is more likely us moving up rather then someone trading to the #2 spot and us moving down.

spikerman
01-04-2011, 06:52 PM
I'm not sure what Denver will, or should, do, but when Carolina said, "If he declares for the draft, we're taking Luck" I heard, "Let the bidding begin."

Northman
01-04-2011, 06:52 PM
Im Fairly certain it should be Nick.

spikerman
01-04-2011, 06:53 PM
Im Fairly certain it should be Nick.

boo

Northman
01-04-2011, 06:54 PM
Trading down is the chic answer, but no one ever trades for the #2 pick.

If we take a DB, I will punch someone. It better be Bowers, Dareus, Fairley or some other DL who flies up the board.

Indeed. If we take Peterson i will go mental.

broncogirl7
01-04-2011, 06:55 PM

Patrick Peterson?
Nick Fairley?
Da'quan Bowers?
Someone Else?
Trade Down?

You do realize Luck put it our there that he won't play for Carolina?!

If not Luck, I'd take Nick Fairley.

slim
01-04-2011, 06:56 PM
Has any team ever traded the #2 pick in the last 20 years? The only one I remember at the top of the draft was Eli/Rivers and that was because Eli demanded it.

Buff, this dream is all I have.

Please don't ruin it for me.

Nick
01-04-2011, 06:59 PM
I'm not sure what Denver will, or should, do, but when Carolina said, "If he declares for the draft, we're taking Luck" I heard, "Let the bidding begin."

That's what I was thinking.

Cugel
01-04-2011, 06:59 PM
Trade down...maybe all the way out of the first round.

Stockpile picks in rounds 2-4.

Use them all on defense.

I've thought about this and here's my counter-argument!

That would probably be the quickest way back to respectability, but not necessarily the quickest way to the SB!

NFL GMs rate players according to a 4 tier code: "Blue" or "elite", "Pro-bowl", "solid-starter", and "Role-player".

Elite teams like the Pats, Saints and Steelers have 3 or more "Blue" players -- rated as equal to the best at their position in the NFL. They typically have a bunch more (up to 10) players classed as "Pro-bowl" players. The balance of their starters are "solid-starters" and they have some good, proven "role-players" to back them up in case of injury.

Denver on the other hand has ZERO "Blue" category players in the opinion of 6 out of 8 NFL GMs surveyed. Two said "Champ Bailey" was Denver's sole "Blue" player. Since he'll be gone next season that leaves them with by universal consensus with ZERO elite players.

They have only 3 "Pro-bowl" caliber players -- including again Bailey, Dumervil and Ryan Clady. At the next level "Solid Starters" Denver has far fewer than the elite teams. Most of Denver's starters include guys who would be either "role players" or only play on ST for other teams.

That's an almost TOTAL talent vacuum that would on face value argue for getting as many draft picks as possible to strengthen the team.

However, it's very difficult to find a "Blue" quality player outside the top 10. You have to get lucky, especially when considering elite DL or QBs who tend to get taken very high in the draft.

To compete for a championship, Denver is going to need at least 3 or 4 "Blue" caliber players. Remember our last championship we had Elway, Shannon Sharpe, Rod Smith, Gary Zimmerman -- all elite players or even Hall of Fame caliber players -- and that was just on offense. On defense they had some very good defenders including Atwater and Neil Smith, etc.

But, Brandon Marshall was the only "elite" player McDaniels inherited outside Bailey and he traded him away. Cutler was at least a pro-bowl level player, and had potential to become better.

Right now the biggest need is to utilize this "once in 40 years" draft position to get at least ONE "Blue" or "Elite" player who in 3 years time will be a consensus All-Pro and considered among the very best in the league.

Ignoring offense and focusing solely on defensive players: Da'Quan Bowers might be that kind of player. So might Patrick Peterson. Some think Nick Fairley might too. You're not going to be able to get that kind of talent later in the 1st round or the 2nd round unless you just win the lotto (Tom Brady 6th round or Kurt Warner FA)! Don't hold your breath waiting for that kind of miracle!

We NEED an immediate "impact" player who can come in and take on a starting role and within 3 or 4 years become an All-Pro at his position.

The last defensive player drafted by Denver who achieved anything like that kind of success was Trevor Pryce back when he was racking up over 10 sacks a year -- as a DT!

Da'Quan Bowers: Ht: 6-5 Wt: 265 40: 4.8 (http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=2411658)
Easily convertable from DE to DT and vice versa, but his height and current body type makes him into a perfect strongside defensive end prospect. Has a good motor off the ball and is strong getting up the field, though he is playing off of mostly sheer natural talent rather than technical prowess. Incredible athlete, as he shows in his running back film. Simply needs to become more consistent with what he shows in flashes off the edge.

He'd need to beef up to around 285 play DE in a 3-4 of course, but he might be able to do that easily (he's 6'5" and has plenty of room on his frame to add muscle mass).

Or he might be converted to SOLB and provide a monster pass-rush off that edge. He'd need some work then in coverage, but he's run a 4.8 40 which is amazing for a DE -- and remember that Dumervil needed a lot of work too when he converted after NEVER playing LB before and he responded with a 16 sack season to lead the NFL!

Having Dumervil & Bowers rushing off opposite edges would enable some serious blitzing to occur. Teams would have to account for BOTH players on every single down.

Alternately the new coach might want to go back to a 4-3. After all, the Broncos are not stocked with amazing 3-4 talent! They've got a bunch of stiffs (especially along the DL) who haven't done a remotely adequate job and will need to be replaced immediately!

If so, then Bowers would be the Mario Williams type monster pass-rushing DE who can also stuff the run, that you NEED to run a 4-3 successfully.

Denver might locate a decent NT in the 2nd round or trade back up into the later 1st if one they liked was sitting there.

I don't insist on this. An alternative might be to take Patrick Peterson who looks like he might become the next Champ Bailey. He's almost certain to go in the top 5 and while #2 might be a bit high for a CB, he'd be a HUGE asset if Denver lost Champ Bailey, since some scouts think he's the most complete NFL ready player in the draft.

Patrick Peterson, LSU, Ht: 6-1 Wt: 197 40: 4.45

Physcially dominant cornerback who has the prototypical size and excellent top-end and makeup speed to combine into an excellent defensive back prospect. He attacks routes with violence and yet still able to have a sense of awareness of the play. Moves well laterally and explodes out of his dig to the ball. Excellent range and can play well out of man and zone coverage. Does have a tendency keeping pace with shorter receivers with tall drop.

He looks to be able to step in day 1 and take-over at least the #2 CB duty in a fashion similar to the way Darrent Williams did. Then the Broncos would either promote Andre Goodman or Cox to #1 (urgh!) or else get a new #1 CB in FA (better).

OF course, they'd still have to address the DL in this draft, but if they are going to keep the 3-4 and don't want Bowers, then possibly NO OTHER DL might be considered worth the #2 pick and they might be better off using both 2nd round picks on defensive DE/NT/ and/or LB.

It will also depend on what they can get in FA.

Buff
01-04-2011, 07:05 PM
Buff, this dream is all I have.

Please don't ruin it for me.

On paper it's a great idea, but don't you think the Lions would have liked to do the same thing last year with the #2 pick? If no team is going to come up and get Suh, it's really unlikely anyone is trading up to get Bowers or Peterson or whomever.

Maybe if Carolina decides to draft Bowers then some team gets desperate to come up and get Luck at #2, but even then the asking price is so high that its almost out of the question... Plus, even if Luck is on the board at #2, most teams would probably call our bluff and try to get to #3 knowing that we wouldn't draft another first round QB.

In short, it's better to crush your dreams now than have you get your hopes up on a trade back that isn't happening.

slim
01-04-2011, 07:08 PM
On paper it's a great idea, but don't you think the Lions would have liked to do the same thing last year with the #2 pick? If no team is going to come up and get Suh, it's really unlikely anyone is trading up to get Bowers or Peterson or whomever.

Maybe if Carolina decides to draft Bowers then some team gets desperate to come up and get Luck at #2, but even then the asking price is so high that its almost out of the question... Plus, even if Luck is on the board at #2, most teams would probably call our bluff and try to get to #3 knowing that we wouldn't draft another first round QB.

In short, it's better to crush your dreams now than have you get your hopes up on a trade back that isn't happening.

The stinging slap of reality. Thanks, I needed that.

Now will you crush clay's dream of drafting Luck? I am already tired of hearing about Luck

PAINTERDAVE
01-04-2011, 07:18 PM

1st - Dareus
3 2nd's
2 3rd's

Orton is gonna be the eobject of a bidding war..
I expect at LEAST a 3rd and a 4th...
posssibly a 2nd.

Lancane
01-04-2011, 07:21 PM
Orton is gonna be tyh eobject of a bidding war..
I expect at LEAST a 3rd and a 4th...
posssibly a 2nd.

Dave, your not suppose to sniff the paint! It kills the brain cells brother. We will get Brett Farve from Minnesota for Orton and then name him our quarterback coach! Hahahaha...

Seriously, I think we'd be lucky to get a third round pick, we'll see how it plays out.

PAINTERDAVE
01-04-2011, 07:23 PM
You do realize Luck put it our there that he won't play for Carolina?!

If not Luck, I'd take Nick Fairley.

Really?

Very interesting.. have not heard this.

Source?

WARHORSE
01-04-2011, 07:25 PM
By the time the draft rolls around.........things will be a lot different.

This is going to be a VERY interesting offseason.

Cam Newton is gonna be prized by someone big time.

PAINTERDAVE
01-04-2011, 07:25 PM
Dave, your not suppose to sniff the paint! It kills the brain cells brother. We will get Brett Farve from Minnesota for Orton and then name him our quarterback coach! Hahahaha...

Seriously, I think we'd be lucky to get a third round pick, we'll see how it plays out.

Seriously... Orton is seen much differently
around the league than we see him here.

If just 4 teams get interested in him...
the bidding runs up his stock.

I stand by my prediction.

PAINTERDAVE
01-04-2011, 07:35 PM
Orton for 2nd, view from Titans forum
http://gotitans.com/goForum/showthread.php?t=67856

Doesn't seem like many are dismissing it

Sinthor
01-04-2011, 08:47 PM
I'm sad that we have the #2 pick THIS year and not last year. There's no Suh in this draft and the most obvious impact player would be for our secondary (Peterson).

I think the priority needs to be D-line (I think we should keep Bannan and Vickerson at least) but linebacker could use some upgrading as well. IMO if your front seven is strong and can stop the run generally by themselves as well as consistently put pressure on the QB, you can easily get away with even an average secondary. Still, it's hard to argue against taking the best talent available at your draft position regardless, which would mean Peterson. He could complete the defensive puzzle eventually once the other places are obtained. Wouldn't be against him at all. Just wishing there were more obvious high impact choices available for the line and linebacker positions in a 3-4. I think we almost HAVE to stick with the 3-4 because we just signed Doom to a huge contract and he is not worth the money in a 4-3 as he lacks the size to be used in more situations than just passing downs. That would be a waste.

So I guess...Peterson or Fairley with the #2 spot? Peterson's the better talent, but I really think the line needs so much help. I'd be cool with either though. We'll see!

EMB6903
01-04-2011, 08:49 PM
Bowers is going to get a TON of hype this offseason.

Cugel
01-04-2011, 10:08 PM

Based on the history of the NFL draft, it's hard to argue with the logic that the Broncos are likely stuck with the #2 pick and WON'T be able to trade down.

#1 -- Carolina says they're talking Luck if he enters the draft.

#2 There are really 3 potential franchise QBs who will probably go in the top 10 -- including Cam Newton and Ryan Mallett as well as Luck, so a team that wants one can probably target the #4 pick and get either Newton or Mallett. Thus, they won't have to pay the steep price for Denver's #2 pick.

The Jets did this when they traded up and drafted Mark Sanchez at #4.

#3 Everybody knows that with Luck off the board Denver will draft defense, and then MORE defense. They have SO MANY needs on defense they can't consider taking an offensive player, unless they decide to get rid of Tebow with a chance to draft Luck. So, nobody who wants a franchise QB has to worry about Denver.

That takes them to #3 at least and the #3 pick is worth 2200 points --- the equivalent of a 2nd round pick LESS than Denver's!

NOBODY, but NOBODY trades up into the top 5 for a defensive player. I can't remember it happening. Can you? :coffee:

Hell, top 10 trades are rare enough!

Now Maycock says that the new CBA will have a rookie cap which will make these top draft picks more valuable since teams won't have to pay such outrageous prices for the top picks.

I think he's wrong about this! First, the CBA will have to be NEGOTIATED, so it's likely in the end that rookie salaries will be capped, but UNLIKELY that they will be totally rolled back to anything we might consider "reasonable."

In short, Sam Bradford might have the record for the biggest rookie contract for some years to come, but we're not going back to the 80's or something!

Second, those top picks are going to STILL be extremely EXPENSIVE in terms of what you have to give up to get them! A #2 pick is worth 2600 points. The #31 pick is worth less than 600!

That means to move up to that pick you pretty much have to give up your entire draft (1st, 2nd, 3rd, and possibly a 1st NEXT year as well or a starting player, etc.).

Unless you're getting a franchise QB you just aren't going to surrender that much to get that guy.

And the team with that pick just isn't going to GIVE it away! They want what the draft value chart says is "fair compensation."

SO, there's no "meeting of the minds" and no deal almost all the time. The seller values his product (pick) higher than the Buyer is willing to pay, so there's no sale.

That's what usually happens.

Lancane
01-04-2011, 10:10 PM
Based on the history of the NFL draft, it's hard to argue with the logic that the Broncos are likely stuck with the #2 pick and WON'T be able to trade down.

#1 -- Carolina says they're talking Luck if he enters the draft.

#2 There are really 3 potential franchise QBs who will probably go in the top 10 -- including Cam Newton and Ryan Mallett as well as Luck, so a team that wants one can probably target the #4 pick and get either Newton or Mallett. Thus, they won't have to pay the steep price for Denver's #2 pick.

The Jets did this when they traded up and drafted Mark Sanchez at #4.

#3 Everybody knows that with Luck off the board Denver will draft defense, and then MORE defense. They have SO MANY needs on defense they can't consider taking an offensive player, unless they decide to get rid of Tebow with a chance to draft Luck. So, nobody who wants a franchise QB has to worry about Denver.

That takes them to #3 at least and the #3 pick is worth 2200 points --- the equivalent of a 2nd round pick LESS than Denver's!

NOBODY, but NOBODY trades up into the top 5 for a defensive player. I can't remember it happening. Can you? :coffee:

Hell, top 10 trades are rare enough!

Now Maycock says that the new CBA will have a rookie cap which will make these top draft picks more valuable since teams won't have to pay such outrageous prices for the top picks.

I think he's wrong about this! First, the CBA will have to be NEGOTIATED, so it's likely in the end that rookie salaries will be capped, but UNLIKELY that they will be totally rolled back to anything we might consider "reasonable."

In short, Sam Bradford might have the record for the biggest rookie contract for some years to come, but we're not going back to the 80's or something!

Second, those top picks are going to STILL be extremely EXPENSIVE in terms of what you have to give up to get them! A #2 pick is worth 2600 points. The #31 pick is worth less than 600!

That means to move up to that pick you pretty much have to give up your entire draft (1st, 2nd, 3rd, and possibly a 1st NEXT year as well or a starting player, etc.).

Unless you're getting a franchise QB you just aren't going to surrender that much to get that guy.

And the team with that pick just isn't going to GIVE it away! They want what the draft value chart says is "fair compensation."

SO, there's no "meeting of the minds" and no deal almost all the time. The seller values his product (pick) higher than the Buyer is willing to pay, so there's no sale.

That's what usually happens.

So everyone will shit their pants when we draft Mallett with that second overall pick!...Good.

Cugel
01-04-2011, 10:32 PM
So everyone will shit their pants when we draft Mallett with that second overall pick!...Good.

I'd say that's a fair assessment! Pantload time all over Colorado if that happens! :laugh:

Which it won't. There's no advantage in drafting Mallett over keeping Tebow. Might as well get used to the Tebow era if Luck goes to Carolina. :coffee:

Clipworthy
01-05-2011, 06:27 AM
Peterson

Peterson

Peterson

sneakers
01-05-2011, 07:28 AM
I REALLY wish you'd change your avatar.

Nooo!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_AOT3NgtKfUw/TMcT1Ha-3dI/AAAAAAAADCw/Jsx0DyJ3inA/s1600/centipede3.jpg

zbeg
01-05-2011, 07:54 AM

The 1997 Jets had the #1 overall pick. Peyton Manning decided to stay for his senior year, otherwise he would have been the top pick. The Rams traded to the Jets:

1997 1st round pick (#6 overall)
1997 3rd round pick (#67 overall)
1997 4th round pick (#102 overall)
1997 7th round pick (#207 overall)

for the #1 overall pick, which the Rams used to select Orlando Pace.

The Cardinals had the #2 pick in the 1998 draft, and the Chargers were #3. San Diego traded:

1998 1st round pick (#3 overall)
1998 2nd round pick (#32 overall)
1999 1st round pick
KR Eric Metcalf
LB Patrick Sapp

to move up one spot to get Ryan Leaf.

The 2001 Chargers had the first overall pick in 2001 (I'll let you figure out if the Leaf trade worked out). The Atlanta Falcons traded:

2001 1st round pick (#5 overall)
2001 3rd round pick (#67 overall)
2002 2nd round pick
WR Tim Dwight

for the 1st overall pick, which they used on Michael Vick.

Those are the only three I can think of that happened with the top two picks in the last 20 years, other than Eli Manning. All of them involved offensive players, and the Orlando Pace trade was a real surprising one at the time.

Trading in the top two is excessively rare. Even when the Texans wanted to trade out of the Reggie Bush spot, they couldn't find anyone to take it. It's not going to happen this year.

muse
01-05-2011, 08:16 AM
I'm guessing there's not enough of a market this year for a trade, shame there isn't another "surefire All-Pro" QB this year, could've fleeced some fools.

Back to the question at hand though, we need to pick up elite DL talent. It's the first time we've been in position to, well, ever and our need has never been greater. If we don't pick DL, I'mma shoot someone. It makes me sad thinking back to 06 when Ngata was picked by the Ravens right after Cuttles. I wonder how the Denver Broncos are doing in that alternate universe :lol:

TXBRONC
01-05-2011, 09:47 AM

We do that and I think you woud have a better chance surviving a nuclear blast at ground zero.

arapaho2
01-05-2011, 01:19 PM
I don't give a shit what front we run. 3-4 or 4-3. Passing on the best D-lineman in the draft (we currently have our choice of all of them) just because he may or may not fit our scheme is dumb. Acquire the talent, then fit the scheme to match.

The 3-4 used to be cool because few teams were running it and it confused Peyton Manning. Now, almost half the teams in the league use it, some just as ineffectively as we do, so there really isn't any "surprise" to it anymore. Geez, 3/4 of our division runs the damn thing. If we pass on the best defensive lineman in the draft, be it Bowers or Fairly, because they don't fit our "scheme" (oh yeah, the one that was DEAD LAST IN THE LEAGUE AND COMPLETELY INEFFECTIVE) then I'll probably lose it.

Get the talent, then decide how best to use it. Even trading down typically means that you get more second rate talent while missing out on top talent. F that. I'm done with second rate talent! We're loaded with second rate (spoken: backup and STs level talent) as is! Get some defensive linemen that can F'n play for Christ's sake!

i promised myself i wouldnt cry...but dammit i cant help it.....best post of the day