PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Panthers to pick Andrew Luck

Denver Native (Carol)
01-04-2011, 03:34 PM
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- If Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck decides to enter the 2011 draft, the Carolina Panthers will take him, two high-ranking team officials said Tuesday.

full article - http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/news/story?id=5988254

Juriga72
01-04-2011, 03:45 PM
Hmmmmmm

So ends the "Jimmy Clausen era". Of course they would HAVE to take him if he comes out.

bigplaypotential
01-04-2011, 03:47 PM
better them than an AFC team

Juriga72
01-04-2011, 03:49 PM
better them than an AFC team

They also better draft some O-line help to keep that kid upright

BigDaddyBronco
01-04-2011, 03:55 PM
I guess we can stop talking about Luck. Not gonna happen.

Northman
01-04-2011, 03:56 PM
Good, puts all that crap to rest.

bigplaypotential
01-04-2011, 04:01 PM
tebow with new defense + good recieving corps > andrew luck + no quality players besides aging steve smith + john beason on defense

DenBronx
01-04-2011, 04:02 PM
awwww this breaks my wittle heart...

:coffee:

WAR TEBOW!!!!

robert ethan
01-04-2011, 04:03 PM
Spare Denver the possibility of Horsehead, Ken Doll, and the Banjo Playing Kid from Deliverance all standing in the same spot at the same time.

BroncoWave
01-04-2011, 04:21 PM
Good, maybe we can STHU about Luck now. Thank you Carolina for possibly saving us from an grave mistake.

silkamilkamonico
01-04-2011, 04:24 PM
tebow with new defense + good recieving corps > andrew luck + no quality players besides aging steve smith + john beason on defense

LMAO This isn't Madden NFL football for playstation.

silkamilkamonico
01-04-2011, 04:25 PM
No brainer pick for Carolina. Dude is the ideal building block for any organization needing a leader to take over. Carolina will be a fun organization to follow in the next few years, especially with that rushing attack healthy to take some pressure off Luck.

DenBronx
01-04-2011, 04:27 PM
No brainer pick for Carolina. Dude is the ideal building block for any organization needing a leader to take over. Carolina will be a fun organization to follow in the next few years, especially with that rushing attack healthy to take some pressure off Luck.

What happens if Luck pulls an Eli Manning and refuses to play for Carolina? It could happen...

WARHORSE
01-04-2011, 04:28 PM
We just got better.:salute:

Denver Native (Carol)
01-04-2011, 04:30 PM
I don't imagine that Clausen came cheap - if this is true, what do they do with him, if they do draft Luck? And, if it is correct that the rookies will have a set pay scale, once the new CBA gets in place, they will have a cheaper QB playing, than one holding the clipboard, unless they try and trade Clausen.

silkamilkamonico
01-04-2011, 04:31 PM
What happens if Luck pulls an Eli Manning and refuses to play for Carolina? It could happen...

Luck seems like too much of an outstanding character to be doing something like that. He's an incredibly humble guy. If he chooses not to play for Carolina and he sees no other option, he will just go back to college.

Just IMHO.

BroncoWave
01-04-2011, 04:32 PM

They were just discussing that on NFL live. They were saying he might prefer to play with Elway/Harbaugh if he goes to Denver and try to get traded. As much as I like Harbaugh I'd rather not have him if he insists on trading up for Luck.

slim
01-04-2011, 04:35 PM
It is Jan 4th.

If you believe any such draft "news" is reliable, then I want to talk to you about an investment opportunity. It will make you rich, I guarantee it.

Ravage!!!
01-04-2011, 04:35 PM
WOuld Harbaugh be the one insisting on trading for Luck, or would it be Elway? Elway loves Luck.

I would be the first to pat Harbaugh on the back if he made the move. I want Harbaugh as coach, but not because I think it will bring Luck here. No way Carolina passes on him. But if it worked out that we did..... HUGE BONUS! :dance:

silkamilkamonico
01-04-2011, 04:36 PM
WOuld Harbaugh be the one insisting on trading for Luck, or would it be Elway? Elway loves Luck.

I would be the first to pat Harbaugh on the back if he made the move. I want Harbaugh as coach, but not because I think it will bring Luck here. No way Carolina passes on him. But if it worked out that we did..... HUGE BONUS! :dance:

Could not agree with that any more.

And again, this is no disrespect to Tebow. This is about getting the kind of QB that can completely change the face of an organization. It is just IMHO that Luck is that guy, and Tebow is not.

Northman
01-04-2011, 04:38 PM
We dont know if Tebow is yet or not. Unless you have a crystal ball which i know you dont.

DenBronx
01-04-2011, 04:38 PM
I don't imagine that Clausen came cheap - if this is true, what do they do with him, if they do draft Luck? And, if it is correct that the rookies will have a set pay scale, once the new CBA gets in place, they will have a cheaper QB playing, than one holding the clipboard, unless they try and trade Clausen.

I could see Clausen being traded but he won't bring what they gave up for him.

There are maybe 8 or so teams that will look for a QB this offseason.

Washington
Jacksonville
Minn
Bengals
Arizona
Niners
Browns
Tenn
Seahawks

Either way, Orton wont bring us as high of a draft pick as many think. Yes he is only guaranteed 2.6 mill but his contract is 8 mill if he plays! So who wants to pay that when they could draft a Jake Locker, Cam Newton or trade for a young Claussen or maybe give up nothing for Carsen Palmer?

BigSarge87
01-04-2011, 04:39 PM
I think this news will inspire Luck to stay at Standford.

BroncoJoe

And again, this is no disrespect to Tebow. This is about getting the kind of QB that can completely change the face of an organization. It is just IMHO that Luck is that guy, and Tebow is not.

Tebow has already changed the face of this franchise. Per the fans, anyway which pay their salaries.

PAINTERDAVE

Looks like he will be "that guy" for Carolina.

UrbanBounca
01-04-2011, 04:41 PM
Of course they're looking into Luck, but this is well before they start receiving all those new offers around draft time.

DenBronx
01-04-2011, 04:43 PM
Luck seems like too much of an outstanding character to be doing something like that. He's an incredibly humble guy. If he chooses not to play for Carolina and he sees no other option, he will just go back to college.

Just IMHO.

Didnt Elway get drafted by the Baltimore Colts and refuse to play for them? He also was drafted by the Yankees and said he would rather go play baseball.

So they traded him to Denver.

Elway might influence Luck to do the same, especially if we hired Harbaugh.

silkamilkamonico
01-04-2011, 04:44 PM
We dont know if Tebow is yet or not. Unless you have a crystal ball which i know you dont.

Crystal balls are not needed when offering opinions. That's what IMHO means.

Tebow has already changed the face of this franchise. Per the fans, anyway which pay their salaries.

I just care about winning. I could care less about jersey sales and what not. Who knows, Tebow might win in the NFL. I certainly just think Andrew Luck will.

silkamilkamonico
01-04-2011, 04:45 PM
Didnt Elway get drafted by the Baltimore Colts and refuse to play for them? He also was drafted by the Yankees and said he would rather go play baseball.

Elway wasn't exactly the most modest and humble guy coming out of college. That much is well known. Luck is. I'm not saying he absolutely won't, I would just be surprised if he did.

BroncoWave
01-04-2011, 04:47 PM

Player salaries are paid out of the money teams get from the TV deals alone. Denver could not sell a ticket next season and still be more than able to pay all the players.

DenBronx
01-04-2011, 04:49 PM
Elway wasn't exactly the most modest and humble guy coming out of college. That much is well known. Luck is. I'm not saying he absolutely won't, I would just be surprised if he did.

Well Carolina has the NFL by the balls right now. At least for anyone considering Luck.

Just glad we didnt lose a couple of more games or this would be real talk...

BroncoJoe
01-04-2011, 04:52 PM

Unlike Elway, I haven't heard that Luck has ever played baseball.

That's the difference. Elway was a proven two-sport star.

BigSarge87
01-04-2011, 04:59 PM
Why trade for Luck and set the franchise back another year when there's no guarantee he's going to be the HOFer people think he's going to be? On top of that, if Carolina does take Luck, it will at least take Tebow and our 1st round pick to get him. At least. You'd be giving away a pick that could be used to get that game changing defensive player we've all been bitching about not having for so long.

We know what we have in Tebow. He's still green, but he's played enough to know that if he can polish up his timing and accuracy a bit he's going to be damn good for a long time. If we are close toward the end of a game, we will always have a chance to win with Tebow. Why trade him and a top tier defensive player for someone else who 'might be really good' but is a year behind what we have already.

It makes absolutley no sense to fix what isn't broken. Fix the damn defense!

shank
01-04-2011, 05:01 PM
Why trade for Luck and set the franchise back another year when there's no guarantee he's going to be the HOFer people think he's going to be? On top of that, if Carolina does take Luck, it will at least take Tebow and our 1st round pick to get him. At least. You'd be giving away a pick that could be used to get that game changing defensive player we've all been bitching about not having for so long.

We know what we have in Tebow. He's still green, but he's played enough to know that if he can polish up his timing and accuracy a bit he's going to be damn good for a long time. If we are close toward the end of a game, we will always have a chance to win with Tebow. Why trade him and a top tier defensive player for someone else who 'might be really good' but is a year behind what we have already.

eleventeen gajillion high fives. it's the type of move that cost McD his job, and people want it? w. t. f.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-04-2011, 05:29 PM

I also think Elway's dad played a major influence in what Elway did at draft time.

TXBRONC
01-04-2011, 05:30 PM
Good, maybe we can STHU about Luck now. Thank you Carolina for possibly saving us from an grave mistake.

Ok but now we can start talking about Ryan Mallet. :D

Lancane
01-04-2011, 05:39 PM
Ok but now we can start talking about Ryan Mallet. :D

Yep...since we're going to be taking him with the 2nd overall pick now!

:behindsofa:

UnderArmour
01-04-2011, 05:46 PM
I could see Clausen being traded but he won't bring what they gave up for him.

There are maybe 8 or so teams that will look for a QB this offseason.

Washington
Jacksonville
Minn
Bengals
Arizona
Niners
Browns
Tenn
Seahawks

Either way, Orton wont bring us as high of a draft pick as many think. Yes he is only guaranteed 2.6 mill but his contract is 8 mill if he plays! So who wants to pay that when they could draft a Jake Locker, Cam Newton or trade for a young Claussen or maybe give up nothing for Carsen Palmer?

I agree with the rest of your post, but who the hell would would Clausen after last year? He looked absolutely awful. Worst passer rating in the league. IMO, Orton still has at least 3rd round value.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-04-2011, 06:08 PM
Some other team can have him. I've seen enough of him to realize that this guy will come crashing to Earth in the NFL, IMO. He's not John Elway, he's another Mark Sanchez. He's been benefiting from an offensive minded, ex-QB HC who's schemes make him look better than he really is.

The guy doesn't have the arm or accuracy of Johnny E. Nothing about what I've seen puts him anywhere near an Elway comparison other than the fact they both went to Stanford. Might as well compare him to Jim Plunkett 'cause he's a Stanford grad, too.

Luck has started 21 games for the Cardinals. I never even heard his name mentioned last year. He's essentially a one-year wonder who everyone is now drooling over - just like Mark Sanchez.

Oh, did I mention that WE DON'T NEED A QB?

camdisco24
01-04-2011, 06:15 PM

/thread

Could not have said it better myself. :defense::defense::defense:

Schnauzers
01-04-2011, 06:17 PM
I also think Elway's dad played a major influence in what Elway did at draft time.

It's not that Elway didn't want to play for the Colts. He didn't want to play for Frank Kush, the coach at the time. Kush was not a pleasant man to be around or to play for.

elsid13
01-04-2011, 06:21 PM

Clausen was mid second round pick, they will have no problem having Luck and Clausen on the roster.

robert ethan
01-04-2011, 06:21 PM
McDaniels would still be here, Tebow would have been given his shot, and the high first round draft pick would have been traded down to secure multiple picks and/or veteran players. With character.

Now, who knows?:confused:

elsid13
01-04-2011, 06:26 PM
Some other team can have him. I've seen enough of him to realize that this guy will come crashing to Earth in the NFL, IMO. He's not John Elway, he's another Mark Sanchez. He's been benefiting from an offensive minded, ex-QB HC who's schemes make him look better than he really is.

The guy doesn't have the arm or accuracy of Johnny E. Nothing about what I've seen puts him anywhere near an Elway comparison other than the fact they both went to Stanford. Might as well compare him to Jim Plunkett 'cause he's a Stanford grad, too.

Luck has started 21 games for the Cardinals. I never even heard his name mentioned last year. He's essentially a one-year wonder who everyone is now drooling over - just like Mark Sanchez.

Oh, did I mention that WE DON'T NEED A QB?'

People have been talking about how good Luck since walked onto Stanford three years ago. The only reason he didn't start as freshman was because Harbuagh red shirted him to allow his senior QB to play that season. If you follow the PAC-10, it not a surprise why Luck is talked about the way he is. From Jaws to Elway to Bud Foster (DC of VT) all talk about how he is complete player.

I know people really like Tebow, but it is alright to admit that Luck is darn good QB, that has very very high ceiling.

TimBuff10
01-04-2011, 06:46 PM

Several Tebow backers on here have said Luck wouldn't do that type of thing. They also say it was different when Elway did the exact same thing.

Nomad
01-04-2011, 07:08 PM
Reading at the Panthers message board, they seem to be paranoid because some believe ESPN is pushing for the BRONCO/Harbough marriage and Carolina should trade Luck for draft picks and stick with Clausen!!:lol: They'll be sweating till draft day!!

Lancane
01-04-2011, 07:12 PM
Reading at the Panthers message board, they seem to be paranoid because some believe ESPN is pushing for the BRONCO/Harbough marriage and Carolina should trade Luck for draft picks and stick with Clausen!!:lol: They'll be sweating till draft day!!

I'm just surprised that the Panthers have enough fans to actually have a message board!

:lol:

Nomad
01-04-2011, 07:13 PM
I'm just surprised that the Panthers have enough fans to actually have a message board!

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/forum/

Sinthor
01-04-2011, 07:15 PM

Steve Smith reportedly already put his house in Carolina up for sale too. Seems like he wants out although maybe bringing in a new hotshot QB could change that?

IF Luck could come in and make an immediate impact, having a receiver like Smith around for the team would be simply invaluable.

BroncoJoe
01-04-2011, 07:17 PM
Steve Smith reportedly already put his house in Carolina up for sale too. Seems like he wants out although maybe bringing in a new hotshot QB could change that?

IF Luck could come in and make an immediate impact, having a receiver like Smith around for the team would be simply invaluable.

Never been that high on Smith. Steve, that is...

camdisco24
01-04-2011, 07:27 PM

Panthers actually have a pretty solid fan base. Since they are the "Carolina" panthers they draw fans from NC and SC. Living in NC, I see tons of Panther fans (unfortunately)... and they're pretty proud fans too (idk why... :lol:)

To me though, Panther fans are a bunch of rednecks, and we have plenty of those down here in NC and SC. :laugh:

Sinthor
01-04-2011, 07:28 PM

I would also be very surprised if that happened. Frankly, I think they shouldn't even be ALLOWED to do that sort of thing. I know it worked out great with Elway and I'm thankful for that but really I think it's BS. I mean, who WOULD want to go to a pathetic team, and that's (by how the system works and is designed) exactly what happens with each #1 draft pick! So every year (just about) some unproven rookie gets $5-10 MILLION more than the guy last year did, GUARANTEED without having proven a thing yet AND we're going to let them pick who they want to play for?

The draft system is set up so that the lousy teams get their shots at players who can help turn the team around. Letting a player pick and choose defeats the whole purpose. Might as well not have a draft order and let teams just compete for players at auction. Regardless, I can't see Luck doing this. He seems way too level headed and nice for it. If he did, he would just lose a measure of respect in many people's eyes as Elway and Manning did (and not just in those cities they were supposed to play for).

I don't see it happening.

The Glue Factory
01-04-2011, 07:37 PM
Frankly, I think they shouldn't even be ALLOWED to do that sort of thing. I know it worked out great with Elway and I'm thankful for that but really I think it's BS.

Only problem is that the Yankees drafted Elway before Baltimore did. If anything the Yankees fans should be shouting the loudest about what happened in the NFL. Eli didn't have a back-up sport that had already drafted him. Baltimore just happened to decide to get some value out of their pick.

Sinthor
01-04-2011, 07:46 PM
'

People have been talking about how good Luck since walked onto Stanford three years ago. The only reason he didn't start as freshman was because Harbuagh red shirted him to allow his senior QB to play that season. If you follow the PAC-10, it not a surprise why Luck is talked about the way he is. From Jaws to Elway to Bud Foster (DC of VT) all talk about how he is complete player.

I know people really like Tebow, but it is alright to admit that Luck is darn good QB, that has very very high ceiling.

I agree, it's fine to say Luck IS a very good college QB and may well be a great NFL QB. You never know with any player, but at least by the formula that's used to evaluate prospects, the signs are very encouraging for his success.

The only thing that does give me some pause is the short duration of the success he's had so far. I don't think it has anything to do with some real factor, but California QB's have not had a good track record in the NFL so far (at least in general, I'm sure there are exceptions). Anyway, I'd be more comfortable with his projected success if he'd played at this level or close for at least 2-3 years.

I think that, especially for the guaranteed $$ that's involved, there should be more to go on. Lots of QB's have looked great coming out of college to only fair average or worse in the NFL. That money is crazy anyway, but if you're gonna pay it you'd BETTER be sure. Missing on that can cripple your team for YEARS.

EMB6903
01-04-2011, 07:50 PM
"what if he refuses to sign"

You really think thats going to happen people?

Even if it does if I were Carolina I'd still take him just to try to convince him that this is the right place for him and to sign a longterm deal...Then if theres absolutely no chance at him signing I look for trade offers then.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-04-2011, 08:01 PM
'

I'm a "show me" type of guy. I saw how great Manning was in college. I saw how great Suh was in college. With Luck, all I've ever seen are the same throws that any QB worth his salt can make at the college level playing in a Pac-10 that doesn't play defense. I saw Tebow win and and leave it all on the field for 4 years at Florida. I saw Manning do the same in Tennessee (except in bowl games, of course...;)). I've seen Luck have one really great season and everyone is now ready to crown him. I'm not. I think that if and when he gets separated from Harbaugh he's going to struggle because he's never faced adversity. He didn't even have to carry Stanford. His Defense and Running game were top notch, too. I think when he gets the weight put on him in the pros, he's going to struggle mightily.

Tebow is the same guy in Denver that he was in Florida. A guy who just makes plays. A leader. An athlete. Luck is, right now, just another overhyped "prototype" QB who is being pumped up by the media.

EMB6903
01-04-2011, 08:02 PM
why do the Tebow fans hate on Luck just because they are Tebow fans?

"overhyped prototype QB"?

just because you are a fan of one player doesnt mean you have to discredit the other when debating whose the better of the two is.

elsid13
01-04-2011, 08:09 PM

just because you are a fan of one player doesnt mean you have to discredit the other when debating whose the better of the two is.

I don't know and I don't get it.

Sinthor
01-04-2011, 08:11 PM

I don't think it's hate. At least not on my part. Saying someone's overhyped isn't hate. Fact is, the guy IS being super hyped after playing ONE full season. That would seem to qualify as a possible over-hype, don't you think?

Now, he may well live up to that hype and I hope he does. There are far too few great QB's in the league. Anyway, I agree that some people are being way defensive about this. Saying that Luck may be good in the NFL and is good now is not being anti-Tebow and expressing concerns about Luck isn't automatically being anti-Luck. :)

Nick
01-04-2011, 08:11 PM
"what if he refuses to sign"

You really think thats going to happen people?

Even if it does if I were Carolina I'd still take him just to try to convince him that this is the right place for him and to sign a longterm deal...Then if theres absolutely no chance at him signing I look for trade offers then.

I can't see that happening.

Carolina saying they are not sure who they will draft. = Value 3,000
Carolina saying they will most likely get Luck if declares. Value 3,500
Carolina saying they will draft Luck = Value 4,000

Carolina is out a 2nd rounder and have a lot of holes. Even if it is not the Broncos they will be entertaining a lot of offers and I am pretty positive that luck declares because he has 60 million reasons why.

I see Harbaugh coming to NFL but don't think he will go to Miami. Think if doesn't come here will go to San Francisco.

It is sad how I wanted him at the end of 2008 to be the coach but we got McDaniels...

I much rather get Harbaugh and have Newton and Mellot tear it up in their bowl game to increase our value of our pick and trade back but understand that is very unlikley.

EMB6903
01-04-2011, 08:14 PM
I can't see that happening.

Carolina saying they are not sure who they will draft. = Value 3,000
Carolina saying they will most likely get Luck if declares. Value 3,500
Carolina saying they will draft Luck = Value 4,000

Carolina is out a 2nd rounder and have a lot of holes. Even if it is not the Broncos they will be entertaining a lot of offers and I am pretty positive that luck declares because he has 60 million reasons why.

I see Harbaugh coming to NFL but don't think he will go to Miami. Think if doesn't come here will go to San Francisco.

It is sad how I wanted him at the end of 2008 to be the coach but we got McDaniels...

I much rather get Harbaugh and have Newton and Mellot tear it up in their bowl game to increase our value of our pick and trade back but understand that is very unlikley.

Have a feeling Mallett will get big time hype from now until draft time which will have teams jumpin in the top 5 to get him (esspecially if theres a rookie cap)

Broncos are sitting pretty with this #2 pick.

TimBuff10
01-04-2011, 08:16 PM
If you think the people in Colorado love Tebow, wait till you see all the bible thumpers in the South ready to welcome him back. As soon as they get wind that he is available and the Panthers can still get about the same value out of the draft it will turn into a no brainer.

Everything hinges on Harbaugh coming to Denver though. No Harbaugh, then I dont see us going after Luck. IMO they would basically be a package deal for Denver.

EMB6903
01-04-2011, 08:16 PM
I don't think it's hate. At least not on my part. Saying someone's overhyped isn't hate. Fact is, the guy IS being super hyped after playing ONE full season. That would seem to qualify as a possible over-hype, don't you think?

Now, he may well live up to that hype and I hope he does. There are far too few great QB's in the league. Anyway, I agree that some people are being way defensive about this. Saying that Luck may be good in the NFL and is good now is not being anti-Tebow and expressing concerns about Luck isn't automatically being anti-Luck. :)

I think you could argue any prospect who has the chance of being a potential #1 overall pick in any year will be over hyped. Not just Luck.

Nick
01-04-2011, 08:28 PM
Have a feeling Mallett will get big time hype from now until draft time which will have teams jumpin in the top 5 to get him (esspecially if theres a rookie cap)

Big possibility that 4 QB's with Locker in the mix to be taken early. At that point you trade back for under value and grab BPA with an added first next year or 2nd rounder. Mallett's biggest stock where he goes comes down tonight.

Then you get to see how Newton stacks up against the Ducks.

Only QB I see Broncos Biting on is Luck because no other QB would be worth it with amount of holes on our team and solid first 3 starts from Tebow with limited offensive play calling.

robert ethan
01-04-2011, 08:33 PM
GBN Report has another QB in the top 5. Gabe Hartnett? Something like that. Another junior they have going right behind Luck and ahead of Mallett, Newton, and Locker.

DenBronx
01-04-2011, 09:40 PM
I agree with the rest of your post, but who the hell would would Clausen after last year? He looked absolutely awful. Worst passer rating in the league. IMO, Orton still has at least 3rd round value.

he did look horrible on the leagues worst team. i'm a notre dame fan too and i have no problems admitting he isn't going to be a star in this league. claussen will be a game manager, alot like orton. if he was in the right system with a good defense he will win games but only with the help of the team. if carolina traded him they would be lucky for a 5th maybe but i think someone would rather take a risk on someone who is a rookie and still has something to prove.

the differnance with tebow though, is he will win us games regardless of how bad our team is.

DenBronx
01-04-2011, 09:43 PM

very true. regardless of what happens with luck i think there are going to be some teams willing to dish out a solid trade to bypass other teams to get a qb. mallet, locker and newton will all be a reach but with the new cba i think some of the desperate teams will do it.

washingtons always done stupid things. i would love to see us abuse them again.

Lancane
01-04-2011, 10:03 PM
very true. regardless of what happens with luck i think there are going to be some teams willing to dish out a solid trade to bypass other teams to get a qb. mallet, locker and newton will all be a reach but with the new cba i think some of the desperate teams will do it.

washingtons always done stupid things. i would love to see us abuse them again.

Why? We're going to draft Ryan Mallett! :nixon:

Sinthor
01-04-2011, 10:12 PM
I think you could argue any prospect who has the chance of being a potential #1 overall pick in any year will be over hyped. Not just Luck.

Oh, I totally agree you could argue that. In fact, I think that's true in my opinion. As I said though, the main reason I personally would say "over-hyped" with Luck is his relatively short college career at this point.

I think it's pretty clear that as you say, most or all of these kids are over-hyped as you can see with Jake Locker as an example. Last year he was getting the kind of hype that Luck is this year (albeit he was officially rated just a TAD lower). Once he showed he was indeed human though, his star fell quite rapidly.

On the opposite side look at Claussen...originally projected as a high first rounder. Questions about his leadership ability and how well liked he was by his teammates absolutely slaughtered his position on the draft boards. Can you imagine what people would be saying about him now after the year he had if he HADN'T slipped so far but perhaps went #2 or otherwise very high in the draft, say top 10? Wow.

Not sure what happened to McCoy, but he fell further than expected as well. The whole draft deal is so strange and so much pressure on these kids. And yet few of them truly succeed.

Sinthor
01-04-2011, 10:36 PM
he did look horrible on the leagues worst team. i'm a notre dame fan too and i have no problems admitting he isn't going to be a star in this league. claussen will be a game manager, alot like orton. if he was in the right system with a good defense he will win games but only with the help of the team. if carolina traded him they would be lucky for a 5th maybe but i think someone would rather take a risk on someone who is a rookie and still has something to prove.

the differnance with tebow though, is he will win us games regardless of how bad our team is.

Bronx,

I don't know that I'd say for sure that Claussen won't be successful or be a star even in the league. Hopefully this past year didn't mess with his head. If you look at history it's pretty consistent that no young QB makes it or is successful unless the team he's on is decent. Even with Bradford, the Rams had been building a decent O-Line and defense before getting him and then along with him. Rothlesburger, Ryan, Flacco, etc. All had solid running games and solid defenses to back them up.

So if Carolina DID stick with Claussen and invested in protecting him via the line and a running game (I think their defense is ok and with some upgrades would be good) he'd no doubt do much better. At least history says he probably would be. After all, he only slid down in the draft due to questions about how he got along with his teammates. He's had a few issues this year in the same vein at Carolina, but coming from Steve Smith (hothead) I don't really put much stock in it. :)

On the other hand, I wouldn't say Tebow is good enough to win even on a terrible team. I do believe that if he'd started the year and followed this same course through games 1-3, that the Broncos would at least have won the same 4 games and probably more. He still needs the additional protection of at least a decent running game and a better defense though, to make sure he has the time and chance to develop. Hopefully we'll have this next year and thus we'll be able to truly evaluate Tebow and see what he can do more long term.

EMB6903
01-04-2011, 10:41 PM
^^ I disagree,

I never understood the "dont throw him to the wolves you will ruin his confidence" theory.

A player was never meant to play Quarterback in the NFL if confidence is his problem.

BroncoStud
01-05-2011, 03:54 AM
Clausen sucks. He's scared of contact, he takes as many "fetal" sacks as Orton does. The kid just looks like he doesn't belong in the NFL. There's no coolness to him, no calm, no poise, he forces everything and just looks rattled from the start.

Carolina has a lot of film to evaluate on him so I guess they do have a chance to make an informed decision between he and Luck.

TXBRONC
01-05-2011, 09:37 AM
Yep...since we're going to be taking him with the 2nd overall pick now!

:behindsofa:

Move over I need get behind that sofa too. :behindsofa: