PDA

View Full Version : Proposed High Five System (Discussion Thread Closes on Friday 9/28)

Tned
09-22-2007, 04:51 PM
After reading all of the discussion about a reputation or CP system over the last three plus weeks, the advisory board has come to the following conclusion. Most posters do not want a reputation system like existed on BM. However, a great many posters would like to have something. Some way to congratulate people for making good posts. It also was clear that most people did not want any 'status' tied to a system, and especially felt their should be no special privileges or private forums for people based on points earned in a reputation system.

With all those parameters in mind, and a great deal of discussion, we would like to propose the following system. Before making a final decision as to whether or not it will be implemented on BroncosForums, we would like to hear your thoughts on this proposed system.

This is the "High Five" system. To overview, you have the ability to "High Five" a poster for any post that you feel deserves it. When you give that poster a high five, your name will be listed below the post along with anyone else that gave that poster a High Five for the same post.

The system also tracks how many times you have given out High Fives, and how many High Fives you have received.

Here are some images that show how the system would look and work if we implement it:

There is a new button that will appear to the right of the "Quote", "Multi-Quote" and "Quick Reply" buttons on each post:

Note: This button is temporary and a nicer looking button is being developed.
http://www.broncos07.com/downloads/highfives/H5Button.jpg

When you click the "High Five" button, your name will be added to the list of people that have given that poster a High Five for that specific post:

http://www.broncos07.com/downloads/highfives/H5PostZoom.jpg

Here you can see the full post, with the High Fives at the bottom. In addition, in the upper right (below the post count, join date, etc.) you will see a summary of how many High Fives this poster has given out, and how many High Fives he/she has received:

http://www.broncos07.com/downloads/highfives/H5Post.jpg

Here is a close up of the High Five summary information shown for each poster:

http://www.broncos07.com/downloads/highfives/H5JoinDateCount.jpg

Tned
09-22-2007, 04:52 PM
In addition, a summary of how many High Fives you have given to other posters and how many High Fives you have received will appear in your public profile:

http://www.broncos07.com/downloads/highfives/H5Profile.jpg

Finally, an additional feature is that you can search for all posts that have received a High Five:

http://www.broncos07.com/downloads/highfives/H5Search.jpg

We believe the High Five system will allow users to congratulate other posters for their contributions, but with a minimum of the negatives associated with the Reputation or CP systems.

Please provide feedback in this thread regarding the High Five system, which the advisory board will consider before making a final decision as to whether or not to implement the High Five system.

Snapping Turtle
09-22-2007, 04:57 PM
I love this idea!!!

Slick
09-22-2007, 05:04 PM
Works for me. :salute:

That being said I could live with or without it.

If it ain't broke....

It seems as though a lot of posters want some sort of system like it, but if there is one, I'm glad it doesn't allow privelages.

It took me 4 years to view the lockerroom in BMania.

BigBroncLove
09-22-2007, 05:08 PM
I like the idea... I don;t knwo about the name.... but don't have any suggestions as to how to make it sound better to my ears :D . Wouldn;t tallying how many high fives a person recieves basically be the same thing as a CP system though?

That's my only concern. I pesonalyl would prefer to have the system without tracking how many highfives a person has recieved in total...

BlueDamsel
09-22-2007, 05:16 PM
I like the idea... I don;t knwo about the name.... but don't have any suggestions as to how to make it sound better to my ears :D

What about "MH Salutes" or "Touchdowns" ? :D

AlWilsonizKING
09-22-2007, 05:27 PM
I like the idea but would like to see it called a salute.......um......cause...........I.........sti ll like the salute.

PEACE!!!

Tned
09-22-2007, 05:30 PM
I like the idea... I don;t knwo about the name.... but don't have any suggestions as to how to make it sound better to my ears :D . Wouldn;t tallying how many high fives a person recieves basically be the same thing as a CP system though?

That's my only concern. I pesonalyl would prefer to have the system without tracking how many highfives a person has recieved in total...

This is certainly one of the aspects that we need feedback on.

What about "MH Salutes" or "Touchdowns" ? :D

Another Broncos message board is using essentially the same system, and calls it salutes, so I don't believe we should use Salute or MH Salute out of respect for that forum.

The system is designed around 'giving' something to someone, which is why 'salute' works, but TouchDown or Extra Points or similar terms do not.

Since you don't give someone a TD, the term doesn't work well, especially with the way it tracks the totals (if that part of the system is implemented).

So, terms like "Salutes", "Thanks", "High Fives", "Contratulates", etc. work, because those are things you can "give' to a post that you like, but you can't give a TD or extra point or similar terms.

Hope that made sense.

Retired_Member_001
09-22-2007, 05:34 PM
I don't like the idea at all.

I just want to talk about the Broncos and Football without the fuss of a rating system.

That's just my opinion.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-22-2007, 05:36 PM
I don't like the idea at all.

I just want to talk about the Broncos and Football without the fuss of a rating system.

That's just my opinion.

It's really not a rating system as such - but just a way to recognize a good post.

konnorrollison
09-22-2007, 05:48 PM
i m ok with it yea

Retired_Member_001
09-22-2007, 05:48 PM
It's really not a rating system as such - but just a way to recognize a good post.

It's much better than a CP system, I will agree with that.

I still think it will cause some problems.

Just my opinion.

Requiem / The Dagda
09-22-2007, 05:59 PM
No, I don't like this idea. It's just another reason for people to "feel good" about themselves on the internet.

Why do people need that sort of gratification? Seriously?

Personal short comings or what?

anton...
09-22-2007, 06:17 PM
im very comfortable without a whatever natzi system...

but you know me...

i wont kick start a storm over it...

:2cents:

Denver Native (Carol)
09-22-2007, 06:20 PM
No, I don't like this idea. It's just another reason for people to "feel good" about themselves on the internet.

I don't know if it would be possible to do or not - tned would have to answer this, but if possible, maybe for any member who does not want to participate, they could disable this feature. and if I understand it correctly, the high fives a member receives will not be visible to any one else, but will be in the member's profile. Correct me if I am wrong tned.

Tned
09-22-2007, 06:24 PM
I don't know if it would be possible to do or not - tned would have to answer this, but if possible, maybe for any member who does not want to participate, they could disable this feature. and if I understand it correctly, the high fives a member receives will not be visible to any one else, but will be in the member's profile. Correct me if I am wrong tned.

All High Fives are visible to everyone. They show up below the post they were given to. It is not possible for a single person to 'opt out'.

anton...
09-22-2007, 06:33 PM
i would like to opt out of recieving high fives if thats possible...

or at least not showing my high five numbers below my post count...

Broncos Mtnman
09-22-2007, 09:38 PM
I like it.

For those who don't want to use them, DON'T. If you don't want anyone giving one to you, ask them to stop.

I don't think OPINIONS about people "needing" recognition are called for, and don't contribute to the discussion.

If you don't like it, that's fine. The additional comments are uncalled for.

:beer:

dogfish
09-22-2007, 09:47 PM
BBL hit the nail on the head. . . whether you call it CP, rep, high fives, salutes, whatever, isn't going to make one bit of difference in the end-- people will still end up viewing them as "rep" and coveting them for the little bit of gratification they get, begging for them, arguing about them, and all the other drama. . . one of the reasons i was ready to jump from BM to another board was the chance to get AWAY from all that, let's not start it up again over here. . . .

why do people need additional incentive to come here and enjoy what's shaping up to be a very nice board? isn't it enough to come talk football and whatever else you want with your friends and (mostly) fellow broncos fans?

IF we have to have such a system, i ABSOLUTELY don't think the number you've gotten should be displayed publicly, because that will encourage the begging and bickering. . . personally, i don't even think post count should be displayed or recorded-- how about some true equality, where people can judge each other on their words and the worth of their posts, if they feel the need to judge and quantify at all. . .

regardless, i want to salute :salute: you, tned and co., for putting forth a sincere effort to follow up your "mission statement" and give the people what they want. . . i hope we decide against it in the end, but either way it's very much appreciated that you're taking the time to actually consider our feedback-- it creates a much more welcoming atmosphere than the old "we got the money, this is how it's going to be, don't let the door hit ya in tha butt on the way out if you don't like it," and IMHO that in and of itself should be enough incentive for people to come here. . .

Watchthemiddle
09-22-2007, 09:52 PM

I agree.

We have done without any type of system now for almost 2 months of board existence and our numbers are still going up.

Dream, your post reminds me of a country song on the radio right now....its called "Online" by Brad Paisley. The jest of it is .....I am soooo much cooler online.

We are here to talk....anything and everything but most importantly Broncos. If someone wants to agree with me in a post, then respond and give me a thumbs up, say you agree, and add to it. Thats the main thing.....ADD to it.

Chica_Ang
09-23-2007, 12:03 AM
Well, I personally don't consider it a shortcoming to want to "feel good" online.

I like the high-five idea, and I will honor earlier posters with my promise that I won't high-five any of their posts.

Sorry---feeling a little :defense:-ive.

Requiem / The Dagda
09-23-2007, 12:06 AM
I don't think OPINIONS about people "needing" recognition are called for, and don't contribute to the discussion.

If you don't like it, that's fine. The additional comments are uncalled for.

It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it, and I'm more than welcome to share it. After all, it's an opinion. To each his own.

I personally believe that people want a system like this because it makes them feel better about themselves through internet gratification, perhaps because they lack that sort of gratification in real life.

It's just really sad. It's like you're always "asking" for a pat on the back. Everyone here in some way or another has established themself on another forum. For the most part, everyone knows who is who and what they bring to the table. A guy like Dogfish I respect because of his breakdowns on the games, and the immense football knowledge he displays. I don't think he needs a "pat on the back" or "hand clap" (whatever this is) to demonstrate that he did something well. Knowing Dogfish on 'Mania for a whlie, we're accustomed to his fabulous posts. That's what I expect from him. He doesn't need that gratification.

I've never been a fan of people who always seek and want attention. That's exactly what the CP system is. People seeking gratification and attention.

The cliques here and elsewhere have already been formed, and there will be similar abuse through this system as there was elsewhere.

To me, it's not a good idea.

It's just an alternative Contribution Point system. I don't see the benefit at all. Perhaps we should analyze what it does for the community here, and what it doesn't to. It's quite obvious from this thread right now, that it's going to be a perpetual cycle of bickering back and forth that will never resolve anything.

Say no to "Egostroking" - do not install any sort of CP System.

topscribe
09-23-2007, 12:19 AM
It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it, and I'm more than welcome to share it. After all, it's an opinion. To each his own.

I personally believe that people want a system like this because it makes them feel better about themselves through internet gratification, perhaps because they lack that sort of gratification in real life.

It's just really sad. It's like you're always "asking" for a pat on the back. Everyone here in some way or another has established themself on another forum. For the most part, everyone knows who is who and what they bring to the table. A guy like Dogfish I respect because of his breakdowns on the games, and the immense football knowledge he displays. I don't think he needs a "pat on the back" or "hand clap" (whatever this is) to demonstrate that he did something well. Knowing Dogfish on 'Mania for a whlie, we're accustomed to his fabulous posts. That's what I expect from him. He doesn't need that gratification.

I've never been a fan of people who always seek and want attention. That's exactly what the CP system is. People seeking gratification and attention.

The cliques here and elsewhere have already been formed, and there will be similar abuse through this system as there was elsewhere.

It's just an alternative Contribution Point system. I don't see the benefit at all. Perhaps we should analyze what it does for the community here, and what it doesn't to. It's quite obvious from this thread right now, that it's going to be a perpetual cycle of bickering back and forth that will never resolve anything.

We appreciate your input, Dream. You make some good points.

Most everyone, however, likes compliments, especially those that stay. This
"point" system is that. A person can look at accumulated points and feel
gratified at the degree to which they contributed to the board. There is no
"ranking" system or exclusive forums as there is on BM. Just the
complimentary points. The Mane has such a system, as does Freak, and it
does not seem to be causing any problems there.

To those of use who don't want them or don't care, pfffft . . . let's just
ignore them. We have that right, too. But for those who like them, it will
be there for them. It should be neither here nor there to us.

Does that make sense?

-----

broncosfanscott
09-23-2007, 12:31 AM
When I posted over at BM before this board started I have to admit I like the idea of CPs and all. However, since I have been over here, I can honestly say that I haven't really missed it that much. If one is put up her, I think there shouldn't be a tally somewhere in the post and should only be visible to a member when they look at their profile so nobody else could see it. Like I said, if things remain the same without some sort of recognition for posts then I will be fine with it.

dogfish
09-23-2007, 12:43 AM
We appreciate your input, Dream. You make some good points.

Most everyone, however, likes compliments, especially those that stay. This
"point" system is that. A person can look at accumulated points and feel
gratified at the degree to which they contributed to the board. There is no
"ranking" system or exclusive forums as there is on BM. Just the
complimentary points. The Mane has such a system, as does Freak, and it
does not seem to be causing any problems there.

To those of use who don't want them or don't care, pfffft . . . let's just
ignore them. We have that right, too. But for those who like them, it will
be there for them. It should be neither here nor there to us.

Does that make sense?

-----

top, i see what you're saying, but my concern is that no matter how it's intended, if one's number of high-fives, or whatever they end up being called, is public knowledge, then certain people will make a competition or ego thing out of it-- the system could be started with the best of intentions, but anything is corruptible, and i'm afraid that pretty soon we'll have to hear complaints from some people about how they're not getting enough high-fives, can someone please give them some high-fives. . . that's the thing-- if they're intended to make people feel good, people who aren't getting them may end up feeling the opposite. . .

it's a fair point that you can ignore it if you don't like it, but back on BM i sometimes found it difficult with the sheer volume of threads dealing with the issue, and the fact that it quite often spilled out into unrelated threads. . . it always frustrated me when half a dozen CP threads would pop up in one day and drive more interesting threads off the front page of ABF. . . it was also tough to ignore the bad feelings that it sometimes generated between certain posters, as those also carried over to unrelated threads in plenty of instances. . .

i certainly don't want to make chica or anyone else feel defensive, as i do understand why people like the system (of course, i never felt that she was one of the ones abusing it and making a bigger deal of it than it was worth, either)-- i liked it myself when i first joined the board, until i saw how much of a distraction it was becoming. . . JMHO, and it's not worth any more or less than anyone else's, but i just can't help feeling that the good outweighs the bad, and that the potential drama and spam the system is likely to create isn't worth the positives it may generate. . .

oh, and thanks for the props dream. . . . :cheers:

Tned
09-23-2007, 12:51 AM
FWIW, the system could be implemented with no totals at all. Not in the users profile, or in the area near Join date/post count.

In that configuration, it would be an alternative to creating a quoted post with just the words "great post".

In the CP discussion threads, one of the reasons people said they liked some type of CP system was as a way of letting the poster know they liked/agreed with their post, without quoting them and posting "I agree" or "great post".

So, in that configuration, essentionally all you would have is this, but without the totals in the upper right that say "High Five: 0" and "High Fived 2 times in 1 Posts":

http://www.broncos07.com/downloads/highfives/H5Post.jpg

BroncoSexyDaddy
09-23-2007, 01:03 AM
It should be a poll in this trend

BigBroncLove
09-23-2007, 01:05 AM
Well, if we were to have the high five thing, this is how I would prefer to have it. A lot of good discussion in here. I don't think quantifying someones like of a "CP" like system to having a need for online gratification is fair, but that's opinion. It's not that I disagree with it, because for some cases I think it is true, but I hate generalizations of any kind. To lump everyone in the same catagory are dangerous statements IMO....

However if you were to have the high five system, I would prefer the high fives to be anonymous. At the bottom of the post have, 2 high fives for this post, 5 high fives for this post... etc, etc.....

I wouldn;t want anything near the post count or the upper right corner that tallies high fives in a single post, or total altogether. I would prefer for the system to be completely anonymous, to be listed only in the post the high fives are given, and for no totals given anywhere (whetehr totals of most HF's in one post, or totals altogehter), privately or otherwise....

Just my opinion for what little it's worth :D

Watchthemiddle
09-23-2007, 01:11 AM
This might be a little off topic...but those of you in FAVOR of some kind of CP, rep, high five system...how often do you go back to BM and check your CP status?

Be honest.

I was a top member over there....a Captain in the top 10 before I was banned and could easely come over here and say YES we need that kind of system over here..but I don't care.

Who cares about some CP, REP, or High FIve? IF you do, then go back to the other board because if you are only concerned about gaining some status while talking on an internet message board and your "real life friends or family could care less" then what does it matter??

I have enjoyed reading the posts, articles, threads...etc. on this board over that past month because I have KNOWN that there was NO hidden objective to someones post, article, or opinion. Over at the "other" board it was evident when someone was posting a certain thread, bashing a certain player/coach...that they were in it for CP's.

This place is new, fresh and thriving and doesn't need a system of any kind.

topscribe
09-23-2007, 03:06 AM
top, i see what you're saying, but my concern is that no matter how it's intended, if one's number of high-fives, or whatever they end up being called, is public knowledge, then certain people will make a competition or ego thing out of it-- the system could be started with the best of intentions, but anything is corruptible, and i'm afraid that pretty soon we'll have to hear complaints from some people about how they're not getting enough high-fives, can someone please give them some high-fives. . . that's the thing-- if they're intended to make people feel good, people who aren't getting them may end up feeling the opposite. . .

it's a fair point that you can ignore it if you don't like it, but back on BM i sometimes found it difficult with the sheer volume of threads dealing with the issue, and the fact that it quite often spilled out into unrelated threads. . . it always frustrated me when half a dozen CP threads would pop up in one day and drive more interesting threads off the front page of ABF. . . it was also tough to ignore the bad feelings that it sometimes generated between certain posters, as those also carried over to unrelated threads in plenty of instances. . .

i certainly don't want to make chica or anyone else feel defensive, as i do understand why people like the system (of course, i never felt that she was one of the ones abusing it and making a bigger deal of it than it was worth, either)-- i liked it myself when i first joined the board, until i saw how much of a distraction it was becoming. . . JMHO, and it's not worth any more or less than anyone else's, but i just can't help feeling that the good outweighs the bad, and that the potential drama and spam the system is likely to create isn't worth the positives it may generate. . .

oh, and thanks for the props dream. . . . :cheers:
As I said, while I saw those kinds of problems at BM with their system, I
have seen none of that over at the Mane or Freak with their respective
systems (have you?), and this one resembles them more than it does BM.

So I really don't forsee much of a problem in that area, if any, here.

-----

dogfish
09-23-2007, 03:16 AM
As I said, while I saw those kinds of problems at BM with their system, I
have seen none of that over at the Mane or Freak with their respective
systems (have you?), and this one resembles them more than it does BM.

So I really don't forsee much of a problem in that area, if any, here.

-----

i only visit the mane infrequently, and i've never even looked at the freak, so i can't answer that. . . but i still feel that if it's not broke, don't fix it, and this place is very nice right now. . . i do think it should be put to a vote and decided that way, but my personal opinion is "why tempt fate?"

topscribe
09-23-2007, 04:28 AM
i only visit the mane infrequently, and i've never even looked at the freak, so i can't answer that. . . but i still feel that if it's not broke, don't fix it, and this place is very nice right now. . . i do think it should be put to a vote and decided that way, but my personal opinion is "why tempt fate?"
The way the board was set up was with an Advisory Board that represents
the community. It is made up of seven posters. The Board decides on a
course of action, then if appropriate it submits their decision to the members
for discussion, which is the reason for this section on the message board. The
Board then takes the suggestions back and revises their decision accordingly.
That is they only feasible way to do it, and it is far better than the others,
most that are subject to one person's (Admin's) whims.

But I have investigated the other boards closely, and BM is the only place
where the CP system is even an issue. This is very close to the Freak's
"salute" system, and nowhere do I see over there any problems whatsoever,
or that anybody even pays much attention to it as an issue.

We do have a percentage here who would like to have something, so we
very carefullly planned a system that, if one does not want it or doesn't
care, it would be easy to just ignore, and one that will not cause any
particular problems in the future.

I am one who initially had mixed emotions about it, but I am entirely
comfortable with this one.

-----

Tned
09-23-2007, 07:31 AM
It should be a poll in this trend

BSD. I understand why you suggest that, and that was considered, but we feel it is much better to simply have threads like this where people can explain why they do or don't like a proposal, and suggest alternatives, modifications to the proposal, etc.

One specific problem I have seen with using polls to make important decisions, is that many times I have seen people that obviously quickly voted based on the poll question, but then after that poster read the dicussion that followed, they post something like, "I voted yes, but after reading this thread and thinking about it, I am against xxx".

KCL
09-23-2007, 08:31 AM
When I posted over at BM before this board started I have to admit I like the idea of CPs and all. However, since I have been over here, I can honestly say that I haven't really missed it that much. If one is put up her, I think there shouldn't be a tally somewhere in the post and should only be visible to a member when they look at their profile so nobody else could see it. Like I said, if things remain the same without some sort of recognition for posts then I will be fine with it.

This is a good post and I agree with you.I have stated before that I am not
in favor of a CP system.I think the board is doing very well w/o one.

I don't agree tho that people who do want one are seeking attention or are
lacking anything in their lives outside this board,I think to some people...its just having a little fun while on the board and there is nothing wrong with that.

I will go along with whatever Tned decides.Either way,I won't leave here if there is one or if there isn't one.

This system isnt like the CP system and I think it will be good in the long run for people who want this sort of thing.We should at least give it a try.

KCL
09-23-2007, 08:32 AM
BBL hit the nail on the head. . . whether you call it CP, rep, high fives, salutes, whatever, isn't going to make one bit of difference in the end-- people will still end up viewing them as "rep" and coveting them for the little bit of gratification they get, begging for them, arguing about them, and all the other drama. . . one of the reasons i was ready to jump from BM to another board was the chance to get AWAY from all that, let's not start it up again over here. . . .

why do people need additional incentive to come here and enjoy what's shaping up to be a very nice board? isn't it enough to come talk football and whatever else you want with your friends and (mostly) fellow broncos fans?

IF we have to have such a system, i ABSOLUTELY don't think the number you've gotten should be displayed publicly, because that will encourage the begging and bickering. . . personally, i don't even think post count should be displayed or recorded-- how about some true equality, where people can judge each other on their words and the worth of their posts, if they feel the need to judge and quantify at all. . .

regardless, i want to salute :salute: you, tned and co., for putting forth a sincere effort to follow up your "mission statement" and give the people what they want. . . i hope we decide against it in the end, but either way it's very much appreciated that you're taking the time to actually consider our feedback-- it creates a much more welcoming atmosphere than the old "we got the money, this is how it's going to be, don't let the door hit ya in tha butt on the way out if you don't like it," and IMHO that in and of itself should be enough incentive for people to come here. . .

I wish I could give you a high five for this post.......:laugh:

Davii
09-23-2007, 09:08 AM
I love the proposal. I have just few thoughts/suggestions...

Even without giving "prizes" by showing a total number "high fives" publicly a public rep is being created.

By publicly showing who gave a high five to the post I think we would be dividing ourselves here. I think the bickering and what not would follow soon after.

Your high fives, IMO, should be viewable from your control panel, but not show a total number publicly.

I feel it would be a good idea to show high fives received on individual posts, but not who they came from. Just show "This post received (2) High Fives" or something along those lines.

Or maybe we could call them "Mile High Salutes"?

In a nutshell I like the idea of a CP system. However my "status" I don't feel should be out there for all to see, nor do I feel it should be out there for all to see who game me a "High Five".

Other than those minor changes I think that's a great system.

anton...
09-23-2007, 10:12 AM
as ive said before...

i dont like it...

i have never liked it...

ive never begged for cps, or "high fives" as you want to call them here...

ive never really cared...

i think most of us here would still contribute just as much without this...

but if i could suggest anything, it would be that you create a totally private section that can only be viewed by the individual poster in the cp section...

so if i like a post i can click on the "high five" and when the individual in question logs on and wants an ego stroke, they would see that i gave them one, and perhaps even wrote a note...

but if the public dont see it, then there would be no trouble imo for nobody...

and those who dont want it or care about it just need not click on the "user cp" section of their own profile...

that is all...

RunYouOver
09-23-2007, 10:33 AM
I really like this idea.

The only thing I'd suggest is to make both Hi 5s received, and Hi 5s given only viewable in the users' CP.

If everyone can see them it may look like somewhat of a CP system and people would complain.

If ONLY you could see how many Hi 5s you've gotten and given, I think that would work out better.

I like the Hi 5s under the post though.

KCL
09-23-2007, 10:37 AM
I really like this idea.

The only thing I'd suggest is to make both Hi 5s received, and Hi 5s given only viewable in the users' CP.

If everyone can see them it may look like somewhat of a CP system and people would complain.

If ONLY you could see how many Hi 5s you've gotten and given, I think that would work out better.

I like the Hi 5s under the post though.

I think if the system could be altered to do this...it would be a good thing.

Rick
09-23-2007, 11:12 AM
Without too much difficulty am sure any reference under the post and in the top right of the post could be removed but I doubt without any serious php knowledge that it could be rewritten to only allow the user to view it in his/her own profile.

If it is implemented might just have to deal with a compromise that no one actually can see it on the face of a post but if they click a users profile they can see how many times they have been Hi Fived.

I have never actually used this MOD myself on my forums so I can't say 100% that it it isn't an option to only allow the individual user to view the hi fives in their own profile and no one else can see it but I just don't think that would be easily done.

Rick
09-23-2007, 11:20 AM
Perhaps could also just use the normal CP system but make all cps count as 0 contributer points so that their bars don't actually increase.

That way they still know someone appreciated the thread but they get no value from it and no one sees how many times or who from.

I believe this is possible though I have never really played with it.

dogfish
09-23-2007, 11:24 AM
I wish I could give you a high five for this post.......:laugh:

how about a :kiss: instead?

topscribe
09-23-2007, 11:57 AM
This is a good post and I agree with you.I have stated before that I am not
in favor of a CP system.I think the board is doing very well w/o one.

I don't agree tho that people who do want one are seeking attention or are
lacking anything in their lives outside this board,I think to some people...its just having a little fun while on the board and there is nothing wrong with that.

I will go along with whatever Tned decides.Either way,I won't leave here if there is one or if there isn't one.

This system isnt like the CP system and I think it will be good in the long run for people who want this sort of thing.We should at least give it a try.
I believe Tned wants the members here to know that he is not the one who
will be making the decision. He wants the Advisory Board, who represents
the community, to make the decision.

I wanted to emphasize that so people would understand that this message
board is not run by the whims of one person. Tned did not want that from
the start, which is why we set up an Advisory Board out of the chute. :2thumbs:

-----

Requiem / The Dagda
09-23-2007, 12:09 PM
Who is all on the Advisory Board? The moderators. . . who else?

topscribe
09-23-2007, 12:30 PM
Who is all on the Advisory Board? The moderators. . . who else?
Denver Native, Jrwiz, Mtnman, KClady, TXBronc, Tned, and me.

-----

Requiem / The Dagda
09-23-2007, 12:33 PM
Interesting. . . thanks.

Tned
09-23-2007, 12:55 PM
Without too much difficulty am sure any reference under the post and in the top right of the post could be removed but I doubt without any serious php knowledge that it could be rewritten to only allow the user to view it in his/her own profile.

If it is implemented might just have to deal with a compromise that no one actually can see it on the face of a post but if they click a users profile they can see how many times they have been Hi Fived.

I have never actually used this MOD myself on my forums so I can't say 100% that it it isn't an option to only allow the individual user to view the hi fives in their own profile and no one else can see it but I just don't think that would be easily done.

I agree with your assessment. Removing the totals from the area near the join date/adopted bronco and from the public profile will be fairly easy.

Adding a list of high fives given to the User CP will not be.

Perhaps could also just use the normal CP system but make all cps count as 0 contributer points so that their bars don't actually increase.

That way they still know someone appreciated the thread but they get no value from it and no one sees how many times or who from.

I believe this is possible though I have never really played with it.

I agree. I have considered the Reputation system with zero points, essentially just a way to send quick messages to users tied to specific posts, but we opted to look at this system since a number of people talked about the Freaks' salute system being much better than the BM CP system, the zero point rep might be the better solution if we in fact implement something.

topscribe
09-23-2007, 01:07 PM
I agree with your assessment. Removing the totals from the area near the join date/adopted bronco and from the public profile will be fairly easy.

Adding a list of high fives given to the User CP will not be.

I agree. I have considered the Reputation system with zero points, essentially just a way to send quick messages to users tied to specific posts, but we opted to look at this system since a number of people talked about the Freaks' salute system being much better than the BM CP system, the zero point rep might be the better solution if we in fact implement something.
The CP/rep system does have one advantage, in that a message can be
left with the rep. A couple caveats:

1. The Mane has it where the issuer of the rep is automatically identified. I
like that.

2. However, the Mane also has negative reps, which I don't like.

3. I also am not fond of the fact thatyou can rep someone, positive or
negative, until the cows come home. That is one aspect of BM's system I
prefer: You have to spread the love before coming back to the same
person, and you can give out only so many CPs a day.

So if we were to revert back to a CP/rep system, my opinion is that it must
come with some of these features.

So what does everyone think of that?

-----

Tned
09-23-2007, 01:14 PM
The CP/rep system does have one advantage, in that a message can be
left with the rep. A couple caveats:

1. The Mane has it where the issuer of the rep is automatically identified. I
like that.

This can be done. We can make the system automatically identify who sent the reputation message.

2. However, the Mane also has negative reps, which I don't like.

Ability to give negatives is an option. It is possible to not allow any user to give negatives.

3. I also am not fond of the fact thatyou can rep someone, positive or
negative, until the cows come home. That is one aspect of BM's system I
prefer: You have to spread the love before coming back to the same
person, and you can give out only so many CPs a day.

This is an option. It can be just like BM, where there is a limit on how many (5, 10, 20) you can give a day, and how many people you have to give Reputation messages to before giving it to the same person again (again, like on BM). This number is also fully adjustable.

So if we were to revert back to a CP/rep system, my opinion is that it must
come with some of these features.

So what does everyone think of that?

Everything you pointed out is easily done in the built in vBulletin repuation system (BM's CP system is the vBulletin "Repuation" system with a few minor modifications).

Chica_Ang
09-23-2007, 03:42 PM
Please just pm me if you want to discuss further. I'm stepping out of this.

I don't appreciate my character coming into discussion just because I am pro-high five. None of you know me very well. If I'm considered shallow, have low self esteem, need ego strokes, just because I want to give love, what do you care? That is my personal problem. :cool: Geez, what a terrible problem to have, too. :rolleyes:

And I'm not going to be bullied away! All opinions should matter here, that seems to be the common agreement, right? Please, let's keep the character attacks and "insights", whether perceived or real, out of the discussion.

Whatever the community decides regarding this issue is fine with me. Put me down for PRO KUDOS/LUV, 'cause i am chica.

ps. dogfish--i appreciate your acknowledgement towards me regarding cp abuse. never have.

Tned
09-23-2007, 03:58 PM
Please just pm me if you want to discuss further. I'm stepping out of this.

I don't appreciate my character coming into discussion just because I am pro-high five. None of you know me very well. If I'm considered shallow, have low self esteem, need ego strokes, just because I want to give love, what do you care? That is my personal problem. :cool: Geez, what a terrible problem to have, too. :rolleyes:

And I'm not going to be bullied away! All opinions should matter here, that seems to be the common agreement, right? Please, let's keep the character attacks and "insights", whether perceived or real, out of the discussion.

Whatever the community decides regarding this issue is fine with me. Put me down for PRO KUDOS/LUV, 'cause i am chica.

ps. dogfish--i appreciate your acknowledgement towards me regarding cp abuse. never have.

Chica, I hope you don't drop out of the conversation. The view you are referring to is a minority view held by a handful of posters that also believe that the Internet and its anonymity give people the right to disregard all pretenses of the civility that you would have in face-to-face conversations.

I think what is overlooked about these systems is it is not just about getting, but it is a way to acknowledge people that you think have made good contributions. That is why the CP/Reputation system is built into the vBulletin board software, because it is that popular.

It has nothing to do with people being shallow, or lacking something in their 'real' life that must be made up for on the Internet. That is a ridiculous and acidic statement that should never have been made, and you should give it as much credit as it deserves, which is none.

KCL
09-23-2007, 04:30 PM
how about a :kiss: instead?

:kiss:.......how many points is this worth?:laugh:

KCL
09-23-2007, 04:31 PM
I believe Tned wants the members here to know that he is not the one who
will be making the decision. He wants the Advisory Board, who represents
the community, to make the decision.

I wanted to emphasize that so people would understand that this message
board is not run by the whims of one person. Tned did not want that from
the start, which is why we set up an Advisory Board out of the chute. :2thumbs:

-----

sorry top....you are correct!

Watchthemiddle
09-23-2007, 04:35 PM
i think its evident that just discussing this topic is causing dessention among members.

So is it really worth it to have a system?

If those that want it can live without it, and those that don't want can't live with it, does this even need to be a discussion anymore?

Just read through the posts and when you only have 180 or so members all voices need to be heard and losing one is valuable.

Rick
09-23-2007, 04:42 PM
If they come up with a system that no one but the one receiving it and the one that sent it knows about the cp given then why would someone leave over it?

Completely understand the animosity towards everyone knowing what people have as it becomes a status thing but if they do the cp with no rewards given just a note to the poster that only he/she sees it really shouldn't be a big deal.

Tned
09-23-2007, 04:44 PM
i think its evident that just discussing this topic is causing dessention among members.

So is it really worth it to have a system?

If those that want it can live without it, and those that don't want can't live with it, does this even need to be a discussion anymore?

Just read through the posts and when you only have 180 or so members all voices need to be heard and losing one is valuable.

Yes, it needs to be discussed, because that is the only way we can 'guage' the desires of the forum members. There have been multiple CP discussions up to this point (I believe three threads prior to this) and there were many members that felt strongly that some type of system was needed. So, we attempted to come up with an alternative to a CP/Reputation system, and proposed it here and opened it up for discussion.

If we don't discuss these things that only leaves us with two options:

1. Never make any change or proposal for fear some may not like it.

2. Make the changes that we think best without discussion or 'listening' to the community.

I think discussing issues is the best approach.

Broncos Mtnman
09-23-2007, 09:54 PM
Well, I've about had it.

I didn't realize telling someone "good job" was tantamount to needing psychological counseling.

I guess those who "know" others true motives should get their way. I'm out of it.

Reidman
09-23-2007, 10:34 PM
I like the high five system...

My name is Reid and I was a cp whore over at Mania..

I do not need internet gratification, I get that from my Wife and Daughter every day...

It makes people feel good to get praise for things, don't deny it, you know you like it too..It's not a necessity, but reality that a compliment make's someone happy...

I also agree to make the system viewable only to the poster receiving the high fives, that way they can't tout how many they've received.

Chica_Ang
09-24-2007, 11:10 AM
Chica, I hope you don't drop out of the conversation. The view you are referring to is a minority view held by a handful of posters that also believe that the Internet and its anonymity give people the right to disregard all pretenses of the civility that you would have in face-to-face conversations.

I think what is overlooked about these systems is it is not just about getting, but it is a way to acknowledge people that you think have made good contributions. That is why the CP/Reputation system is built into the vBulletin board software, because it is that popular.

It has nothing to do with people being shallow, or lacking something in their 'real' life that must be made up for on the Internet. That is a ridiculous and acidic statement that should never have been made, and you should give it as much credit as it deserves, which is none.

Thanks tned---you are right.

High five! :cool:

topscribe
09-24-2007, 11:16 AM
Well, I've about had it.

I didn't realize telling someone "good job" was tantamount to needing psychological counseling.

I guess those who "know" others true motives should get their way. I'm out of it.
Mtnman, check out Tned's responses to Chica. If you want some kind of CP/rep
system, then it behooves you to remain here and advocate for it. For you to
vacate it only gives strength to those who oppose it via numbers. We need
you here so both sides of the argument can be represented.

-----

topscribe
09-24-2007, 11:46 AM

Dream,

I always enjoyed receiving CPs at BM. I regarded them as compliments from
those who appreciated my work. I am far too damned old to need "ego
stroking," as you put it, nor am I insecure, as you implied. While you don't
faze me with your allusions, I have to agree with those who have taken
exception to your remarks.

I appreciate your input. However, just understand you err substantially in
your opinion of those who enjoy a CP/rep system. Also understand that,
with your comments, even though they were generic in nature, you
mannaged to insult some people right here in this thread.

Nonetheless, your opposition is noted, so we can count you as one against.

Warm regards,

-----

Retired_Member_001
09-24-2007, 11:50 AM
I like the high five system...

My name is Reid and I was a cp whore over at Mania..

I do not need internet gratification, I get that from my Wife and Daughter every day...

It makes people feel good to get praise for things, don't deny it, you know you like it too..It's not a necessity, but reality that a compliment make's someone happy...

I also agree to make the system viewable only to the poster receiving the high fives, that way they can't tout how many they've received.

I like compliments aswell.

But for me, someone sending me a PM saying good post, or replying saying good is enough.

It doesn't cause any fuss and you can still receive compliments.

I'm not going to slam anyone for wanting the system but I DO think the board would be better without it.

Bronco Bible
09-24-2007, 11:50 AM
I like it!!!!!!!!! I'm in.

OB
09-24-2007, 12:12 PM
I think its a great idea tned and crew - i havent read the feedback from other users (as it is up to 5 pages now) but I really like it

I dont want it in place for me but so that i can let other posters know i liked what they posted - I dont care about rcving but I miss giving - there have been so many times i would have loved to give a "shout out" - and yes you can use that phrase tned, ;), to my peeps for good posts but dont want to send a PM and just saying it in the thread just doesnt seem like quite enough props

Denver Native (Carol)
09-24-2007, 12:20 PM
I think its a great idea tned and crew - i havent read the feedback from other users (as it is up to 5 pages now) but I really like it

I dont want it in place for me but so that i can let other posters know i liked what they posted - I dont care about rcving but I miss giving - there have been so many times i would have loved to give a "shout out" - and yes you can use that phrase tned, ;), to my peeps for good posts but dont want to send a PM and just saying it in the thread just doesnt seem like quite enough props

Great post OB, and one that deserves a high five, salute, shout out - whatever it ends up to be :salute:

topscribe
09-24-2007, 12:25 PM
Great post OB, and one that deserves a high five, salute, shout out - whatever it ends up to be :salute:
"Shout out"? You know, my posts might be responsible for the coining of the term "shut up." :laugh:

-----

Broncos Mtnman
09-24-2007, 04:04 PM
Mtnman, check out Tned's responses to Chica. If you want some kind of CP/rep
system, then it behooves you to remain here and advocate for it. For you to
vacate it only gives strength to those who oppose it via numbers. We need
you here so both sides of the argument can be represented.

-----

I'm here.

And I want the "high five" system. It's a great way to show appreciation for a good post, without the baggage of other systems where they are tokens used to get access to secret rooms and such.

I give :2thumbs: to the idea.

Tned
09-24-2007, 05:20 PM
Here is a better button that would could be used in place of the rough one I marked up.

http://www.broncos07.com/downloads/hi-5.gif

topscribe
09-24-2007, 05:24 PM
That looks great! :2thumbs:

-----

Broncos Mtnman
09-24-2007, 05:26 PM
I like it, T!!

:beer:

Tned
09-24-2007, 05:51 PM
Here is a better button that would could be used in place of the rough one I marked up.

http://www.broncos07.com/downloads/hi-5.gif

I'm having another version made with "Hi Five" spelled out.

Bronco Bible
09-24-2007, 05:53 PM
Just a thought, probably not a very good one, but can we not try it for say 1month if it works great if not try to noodle with it.:confused:

Chica_Ang
09-24-2007, 10:32 PM
Looks good!

Lonestar
09-25-2007, 10:16 PM
lets get it started the sooner the better.

Requiem / The Dagda
09-25-2007, 11:06 PM
T, once I actually have the time (I should drop out of school and work for the forum full time) I'll make a custom button if you choose to put in a High 5 system. I'm still working on all of them, it's just taking a lot of time. 19 credits + coaching seminar + job + trying to have a life = lame.

Jody
09-25-2007, 11:13 PM
An excellent idea, "High Five System"! I love it!

The perfect compromise. :first:

topscribe
09-25-2007, 11:22 PM
T, once I actually have the time (I should drop out of school and work for the forum full time) I'll make a custom button if you choose to put in a High 5 system. I'm still working on all of them, it's just taking a lot of time. 19 credits + coaching seminar + job + trying to have a life = lame.
Wow, trying to have a life, you say? :shocked:

What do you do, watch a commercial once in a while?

-----

OB
09-25-2007, 11:44 PM
Its not system -its the idiosts abusing it

lex
09-26-2007, 12:34 AM
What about a "down low, too slow" button to voice displeasure? Or is it all on a positive vibe here?

DenBronx
09-26-2007, 12:46 AM
hey tned...the idea sounds great. i say go for it. you took the ball and ran with it so far...so why stop now. the high five sounds pretty cool....it lets posters know what kind of response their getting from their post. some guys just read post and dont post a reply but they may opt to high five for the good post. just my opinion.

i may change my name to BORAT though with all the high 5-ing!

berrry niiiice!

another idea would be to give someone the middle finger if you think their post is ridiculous. ...you could then see how many middle fingers you have given out and recieved...:cool: jk of course....ill just do it at home and no one will know.

lex
09-26-2007, 12:51 AM

Honestly, the same could be said for the P&R forum. Its not the same but similar. It gives some people an outlet to flex a muscle they feel they have. Again, like you said, its about the gratification of wielding ones own knowledge against the unknowing. Not everyone feels that way or perhaps if they do its to a modest degree but you know its true. And that doesnt only exist in the P&R forums either. Nor am I making an argument against having the P&R forums. I think theyre perfectly fine but simply put: it is what it is. Like I said, its not exactly the same but the self-gratification isnt that many gradations over from the gratification one seeks from having approval from others.

Davii
09-26-2007, 06:48 AM
I'm still 100% behind this system. High Five away. I like being able to give posters the recognition they deserve for good posts.

Tned
09-26-2007, 07:16 AM
We really appreciate all the feedback. I am modifying the title of this thread to say (Closes on Friday) and then late Friday/Early Saturday, this thread will be closed and the advisory board will look at all the great feedback and decide how to proceed.

I think it is safe to speak for everyone one of them and give all of you a big thank you for the great feedback.

Now, we still have two days of discussion, so please keep posting your thoughts. It's very important in the process of making the best possible decision.

Retired_Member_001
09-26-2007, 10:02 AM
We really appreciate all the feedback. I am modifying the title of this thread to say (Closes on Friday) and then late Friday/Early Saturday, this thread will be closed and the advisory board will look at all the great feedback and decide how to proceed.

I think it is safe to speak for everyone one of them and give all of you a big thank you for the great feedback.

Now, we still have two days of discussion, so please keep posting your thoughts. It's very important in the process of making the best possible decision.

That doesn't seem fair to me.

I think that everyone on the advisory board WANTS the system. When you have this "meeting" I assume you are going to have with the advisory board, who's going to point out the negative if all of them want the system?

No one take offense to this, I am just wondering.

topscribe
09-26-2007, 10:27 AM

I think that everyone on the advisory board WANTS the system. When you have this "meeting" I assume you are going to have with the advisory board, who's going to point out the negative if all of them want the system?

This is going to be the procedure for most decisions. It is done this way, in
fact, in the interest of representing the members the best we can. A final
discussion is not necessarily a reconsideration. It is only a final discussion
to try to make sure we are doing everything right. :smile:

-----

Retired_Member_001
09-26-2007, 10:32 AM
This is going to be the procedure for most decisions. It is done this way, in
fact, in the interest of representing the members the best we can. A final
discussion is not necessarily a reconsideration. It is only a final discussion
to try to make sure we are doing everything right. :smile:

-----

Ok, I see.

I guess I'm just going to have to try and get on with the new system. I'll give it a go, even if you allow members to "turn off" the system I'll still give it a go.

underrated29
09-26-2007, 12:16 PM
ok i read one page of post, and all looks good to me.

i really could care less, but i think it will be good if we do it.

Besides some people need to feel warm and fuzzy inside (:elefant:).

have a nice day.

Tned
09-26-2007, 12:26 PM

The board has already put aside their personal feelings and opinions to make decisions that they believe represent the overall wishes and best interest of the community, I don't anticipate that changing with this.

That is the reason the board put proposal here before simply implementing it. It was to get input on the proposal, and then if necessary take that proposal back and tweak or even scrap it, if they deemed it necessary.

Unfortunately, it is very, very hard to make group decisions when the group is 7, it would be impossible to do so when the group is 100-150. It just can't be done, so we have a board to represent the best interest of the community, so I (or any other single person) am not making unilateral decisions.

Anyway, if you have any ideas or concerns about the overall concept of the board, I would rather we start a new thread to discuss that (which you could do in Town Hall Discussion), for fear of taking this topic off the focus of the Hi Five system.

Lonestar
09-26-2007, 12:38 PM

There has been a real lively discussion about this already and now that the pearls of wisdom from all the members have been heard. There will be another one before this goes through as a slam dunk.

While we have ideas of our own, we represent the forum and overall will let the ideas from the masses overrule our own desires.

We have discussed many things and frankly there has to my knowledge been a 7-0 vote on anything. This advisory board is really more diverse than you may or many think.

Sorry I did not see Tned's post before this was done.

I often start on a comment/post/reply and come back to it later as work calls come first. So I often do not see what others post while I am working on mine.

That was the case here. What he said is true.

OB
09-26-2007, 03:06 PM
I want to try and get the last word in

:nixon:

I say YAY!!!!

Tned
09-26-2007, 03:19 PM
I want to try and get the last word in

:nixon:

I say YAY!!!!

I'll PM you right before we close it so you can really get the last word in ;)

Reidman
09-26-2007, 11:50 PM
So when will we be high-fiving...??

Tned
09-27-2007, 01:11 AM
So when will we be high-fiving...??

When we close the discussion thread on Friday, then the board will consider all the feedback and decide how to proceed.

BroncoBJ
09-27-2007, 05:29 AM
More reasons as to why you are such a great guy. :salute:

I didn't read through all the posts/replies But it seems like a cool idea.
The only thing that would be fishy is that people can just high 5 every different poster and it could take away the effect. Some people get High 5 Happy.

But its better then nothing.

I'm fine with or without it but it will add a little bit of spice to the forums and should be fun.

Good stuff.

Cant wait to see the new additions. :salute:

Broncomania96
09-27-2007, 05:36 AM
Im confused :confused:

Today is 9/27, and tomorrow (Friday) is 9/28 so this thread closes tomorrow right the date is just wrong. Tned the thread closes tomorrow right its just the date is wrong?

Tned
09-27-2007, 06:41 AM
Im confused :confused:

Today is 9/27, and tomorrow (Friday) is 9/28 so this thread closes tomorrow right the date is just wrong. Tned the thread closes tomorrow right its just the date is wrong?

Yea, i'm from Arkansas, it takes us a while (60-70 years) to fully grasp that whole calendar thing. ;)

Jaws
09-27-2007, 07:30 AM

Couldn't agree more.

In fact, if I believed in a recognition system, I'd high five you!

While I commend the advisory board for the thought and creativity they have put into coming up with the proposed system, I believe it will just create cliques and fuel animosity (especially in forums such as the P&R ones)

BigBroncLove
09-27-2007, 02:03 PM
My official vote is for no high five system...

However if one is implemented, I would also like to throw in my two cents and say it should be without the total high five count, and most high fives in one post count. I would also prefer the high fives to be listed anonymously at the bottom of each post.

Retired_Member_001
09-27-2007, 04:22 PM

However if one is implemented, I would also like to throw in my two cents and say it should be without the total high five count, and most high fives in one post count. I would also prefer the high fives to be listed anonymously at the bottom of each post.

I agree.

If the high five system worked like this, it would work much better.

Jaws
09-27-2007, 04:54 PM
Gotta echo what Wookiee and BigBroncLove say in that if a system is implemented I believe anonymity would make it far better IMO.

Jody
09-27-2007, 07:57 PM
Gotta echo what Wookiee and BigBroncLove say in that if a system is implemented I believe anonymity would make it far better IMO.

I agree with all of the above, anonymity would be wise. If someone wants a poster to know 'who'---they can send a pm. It will help to alleviate some bickering.

TXBRONC
09-27-2007, 09:21 PM

Is there anything inparticular that you don't like about having the High Five System BBL?

BigBroncLove
09-27-2007, 10:04 PM
Is there anything inparticular that you don't like about having the High Five System BBL?

Well it's not that I think that there's anythign specifically wrong with the system, besides my desires previously posted if one is implemented. It's just that I like the board so much as it is now, I think shaking it up with this type of system could have both positive and negative effects. I just don't want to see the negatives happen.

Recently I've been noticing the board is becoming slightly more "cliqish" for lack of a better term. The same thing that happened at BM for a small period of time. More leniency given to well known posters from the "other board" and stricter adherence to current guidelines to those just arriving. The same with responses to certien posts )people are a little ruder to new arrivals, and mroe lenient on so-so posts by long timers). I fear that those small groups of like minded posters will only become more solidified when people can see who's "high fiving" them. After all, it's very easy to like another person when they give you a butt slap and a congrats like a CP or high five (I enjoyed recieving CP's to an extent, and liked certien posters more for them. Were all human :D ) We are social creatures after all, and there's a reason we often seek out people similar to ourselves as real life friends, and there's no reason to believe that it wouldn't be the same online :D .

So anonymity for me would be a huge thing. Only post how many high fives a person recieved for a post, but not who gave those high fives. That way people do know what they posted is something valued by other individuals, but removes all the possibilities of in house drama that come with it. My :2cents:

Other people have talked about the fear of it becoming a status symbol, like on other boards where posters threads and posts were often given more attention, not due to content, but rather the number of bars an individual had, so I won't addres those, just throw them into the pot with everyone else. (which is why I don't want a total count of high fives, or a count of how many high fives in one post)

This is turning into a long response, so I'll leave it at that. It's just I like the baord the way it is now so much, I fear change a bit. Perhaps a bit of a dark age approach, but I do hope if the high five system is implemented, that change to the system to optimize its effect on the board and posters is given as much attention as the changing the board with the system has garnered so far. Like a democracy I dobn't expect everyone to agree with either for or against, but so long as everyone is open to compromise to make the system as likeable for all parties as possible, I think the only thing that will happen is a winning formula!

Lonestar
09-27-2007, 10:08 PM
personally I'd like the high fives to be out in the open with name on them. I dislike anything being anonymous.

OB
09-27-2007, 10:25 PM
To me its npot about the high fives you get but the ones you give - we have a pretty close knit group at the moment and I cant see the members we have abusing (if its even possible) this system
Also, tned and crew arent dumb they will pick up on the tards that abuse it

BigBroncLove
09-27-2007, 10:31 PM
To me its npot about the high fives you get but the ones you give - we have a pretty close knit group at the moment and I cant see the members we have abusing (if its even possible) this system
Also, tned and crew arent dumb they will pick up on the tards that abuse it

I think it's mroe keepign an eye to the future then the present. Just like the fore fathers and the constitution :D . Sure, now I think everyone won't abuse it, but say the baord grows and grows. There's no way for the moderators to police everyone in the use of high fives, and there is no guaruntee that new posters when influxed into the board won't change the landscape of how high fives are viewed or used.

I think by staying cautious now, and implementing the system that is limited but even handed, the results will be good. Even if it is approached again later, it can be expanded, but as far as bringing in new systems, I think baby steps are an essential part of proportioned and mindful growth.

Tned
09-27-2007, 10:44 PM
Again, we really appreciate all the great input. Since we have another day of discussion, I have a question to pose.

I fully understand why some people have said if there is a system, that it should not have any totals (in terms of becoming a status thing like the CP on BM). However, I am struggling to understand how just showing the Hi Fives under each post could result in the same kind of problems that the bars, point totals and status/privilages that became so common on BM.

Without totals, this is really the extent of the Hi Five system:

I hope some of you that have those concerns jump in, because I don't think anyone wants to do anything detrimental for the board.

Switching to my personal view. I don't feel strongly about having a system one way or another. I know for myself, and I think several, if not all, of the other board members, what has driven us to try and come up with a system that would allow people to recognize others, but not have some of the downsides of the CP system was not so much our personal desire for the system, but quite a few requests from the very beginning to have a system.

However, since there were also people that raised concerns about a CP/Reputation system, we worked to try and come up with a system that would address what people wanted in terms of allowing you to recognize a good post without quoting it and simply saying "good post", but also had little, if any, of the negatives associated with the BM CP system and other boards reputation systems.

Whether or not it is a good solution, or is even needed, is obviously what this discussion is all about.

So, we would love to better understand the concerns about how the above (names of people who thought a particular post was worth congratulating) would create the cliques or other problems that existed with the CP system.

Watchthemiddle
09-27-2007, 10:54 PM
I guess I am still lost on why we need any kind of system at all? :confused:

Why does it really matter?

Why do we need someone to tell us good post, high five, cp...or whatever to make a quality post?

I feel we have had great discussions around here since the board has begun. People are posting without any "hidden" objectives and its been nice to read the posts.

There is no over the top flaming or praising of particular subjects, players, coaches..etc.

A system - regardless of what type it is - is going to bring all the flaming back. Maybe not at first, but trust me..it will.

This board has flourished without any kind of system for a month now. I would hate to see it stop just because of a silly system.

BigBroncLove
09-27-2007, 10:57 PM
Here's my thoughts Tned....

The reason I think listing the names under the posts of who "high-fived" you is because it is about ike and dislike. When you recieve a high five from an individual three or four different times, it makes you appreciate their posts even more. I think it's a natural human response. When you have someone who agrees with your ideas at a dinner table, or a class room, or at work, you tend to like them a little more. Compeltely normal IMO...

However when you start to like people because of thigns of this nature, you are also quicker to defend them, quicker to disagree with people who do not agree with their point of view, and hence th clique thing starts. Take P&R for example. It's a very polarized board right, due to the nature of American politics. Groups form. Republican posters naturually side with one another, and sometimes go a little over board. Same with Democratic posters. Veterans seem to have a bit of clique as well. The point being that this is a symptom that we are likely to see happen because of high fives...

Now does that mean that won't happen without high fives? no. People will always gravitate more towards people they are similar to. If I enjoy your posts, I'll likely open yours before another. Post in that thread before others, and so on and so forth. It will hapeen, but what I believe the "high five" system will do is amplify that and speed such things along. It will make it easier to not like or like someone, especially since it's viewable by all....

One thing I did like about BM's CP system is that the CP's you recieved are hidden from all but you. You knew who liked you, but didn;t throw that in the face of others. I can imagine people reading a post they don't agree with and seeing a bunch of high fives by people who give one poster a lot of high fives o na regualr basis, and saying "oh, of course they gave that person high fives, that's all they do."

As dogfish said, it wil lalos make some people feel under valued because they don't recieve enough. That is also about the human condition. So by taking the names out of the high five system I think you remove some of that. My opinion....

BigBroncLove
09-27-2007, 10:58 PM

Why do we need someone to tell us good post, high five, cp...or whatever to make a quality post?

I feel we have had great discussions around here since the board has begun. People are posting without any "hidden" objectives and its been nice to read the posts.

There is no over the top flaming or praising of particular subjects, players, coaches..etc.

A system - regardless of what type it is - is going to bring all the flaming back. Maybe not at first, but trust me..it will.

This board has flourished without any kind of system for a month now. I would hate to see it stop just because of a silly system.

I do agree completely. I am against a system incase that was lost in my many wordy posts, I am just throwing ideas out there incase the system is infact implemented to make it as enjoyable to all parties....

OB
09-27-2007, 11:01 PM

A majority of us want it to give a shout out w/o having to post a comment or send a PM - I figure them as mini PMs i can tell you i like your post and a few quick hellos and it shows the person im still thinking about them

I understand we are doing good without it

BUT

Is there a way to take it away when we start getting those retard members who have no life but to come to boards and flame

If they can take it away anytime they want - then why not give it a chance?